PDA

View Full Version : Japanese for busy people...

MJjunkie86
October 11th, 2012, 06:06
Hey folks. Are there any newbies to Japanese that are using the Japanese For Busy People book?

coop52
October 11th, 2012, 07:53
I used it when I was starting out. It's ok, better than nothing. I'd recommend something like Genki or Minna no Nihongo over it though.

wicket
October 11th, 2012, 08:09
Genki is much better.
Or get the books and CDs for level 5 or 4 of the JLPT and use them. That way you're learning the language and studying for a goal at the same time.

bwhat87
October 12th, 2012, 00:59
I know they say ALTs don't need to know Japanese, but I think it's a bit rude to come in knowing none at all. I know a bit from manga/anime but what would be the best book to pick up some functional Japanese? Such as being able to ask for directions, order a beer, find the bathroom, etc? Not looking to master the language, that's beyond my ability in a short window, just wanna be able to know enough to to survive if/when I get lost somewhere ;)

MJjunkie86
October 12th, 2012, 01:15
I went to Japan and taught in a school for 2 months this summer, so from that I can kinda see what I need to learn. Directions, ordering things etc etc.
Only asked about JFBP coz it's the book I have and my bf said its the book he used when he took the learn Japanese course I'll be starting on in Jan. So thought I'd get a bit of a head start.
Just looking for someone to work through it with me, I guess.

Also have the pimsleur audio course and the "Let's learn Japanese" video thingy from apparently the 80s with Yann in the video :')
Just need to actually find the time to learn vocab now, after learning the hiragana!

Oh, and BWhat, I totally agree! It's so rude going to another country to live and not even trying to learn even the basics!

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2012, 13:05
I know they say ALTs don't need to know Japanese, but I think it's a bit rude to come in knowing none at all. I know a bit from manga/anime but what would be the best book to pick up some functional Japanese? Such as being able to ask for directions, order a beer, find the bathroom, etc? Not looking to master the language, that's beyond my ability in a short window, just wanna be able to know enough to to survive if/when I get lost somewhere ;)

uhh, I studied for four years back in uni before coming over and I didn't know how to order a beer.

I knew how to order something that might taste sorta like badbeer, but I didn't know how to order real beer. Books just don't teach you these things, might as well come over and bumble through it :)

That being said, I know a few people who came over with next to no (or none at all) Japanese and the ones that have put some effort into learn while they're here are greatly appreciated. The ones who come over here, learn nothing, and never plan to are the ones that are quite rude.

coop52
October 12th, 2012, 13:18
Even if you come knowing absolutely nothing, you'll probably pick up the essential skills pretty quickly. I honestly don't see how some people who live here for years and years never pick up any Japanese.

jwkelley
October 12th, 2012, 13:45
Get some graded readers and read as early as possible. They really should be essential for any language study. They will boost every part of your language and help with retention insanely.

bwhat87
October 12th, 2012, 13:49
Yea, but it's always a good thing to be able to ask where the bathroom is beforehand, if only just to avoid some...awkward situations XD

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2012, 14:10
HAHA. Wait till you get here and see the drunk Japanese person flailing their arms around like a gaijin yelling TOIRE! (toilet) and staff just pointing to the corner.

In fact, I tend to get weirder looks when I ask in proper japanese than when I just say toilet and look confused.

coop52
October 12th, 2012, 15:37
In fact, I tend to get weirder looks when I ask in proper japanese than when I just say toilet and look confused.

This. It's almost like they can't comprehend the idea of a foreigner speaking their language.

wicket
October 12th, 2012, 20:49
I knew how to order something that might taste sorta like badbeer, but I didn't know how to order real beer. Books just don't teach you these things.

books don't, but people do.

i didn't study japanese at university. i studied it at high school for 5 years; and i knew how to order beer - different brands, and using the hon/pon/bon suffix. university lecturers should know that's IMPORTANT INFORMATION they are neglecting to teach you there!

Teishou
October 13th, 2012, 09:36
How about we go on a limb and not blame all university lecturers because their students aren't learning stuff?

Also: you were in high school for five years? Did you fail or something? Aussieland keeps their kids in HS that long?

bwhat87
October 13th, 2012, 10:24
HAHA. Wait till you get here and see the drunk Japanese person flailing their arms around like a gaijin yelling TOIRE! (toilet) and staff just pointing to the corner.

Sounds like my kinda party ;)

Worse comes to worse, I'll just walk up to the bartender and point at a bottle of rum then a bottle of coke and hope for the best.

wicket
October 13th, 2012, 12:14
How about we go on a limb and not blame all university lecturers because their students aren't learning stuff?

Also: you were in high school for five years? Did you fail or something? Aussieland keeps their kids in HS that long?

um, the bit where i had a go at the university lecturers was tongue-in-cheek - a joke. since when is being able to order a beer "important information"?

in australia "high school" is actually 6 years - years 7 to 12. we don't separate into junior high and senior high. i studied japanese from year 8-year 12.

Maninguenice
November 15th, 2012, 23:20
Get some graded readers and read as early as possible. They really should be essential for any language study. They will boost every part of your language and help with retention insanely.

Could someone elaborate a little on what graded readers are and/or recommend a series? I just finished genki 2 and am currently discovering the joys of anki, but very soon ill be looking for some new original reading material. I was going to go for the intermediate japan times book, but maybe graded readers are a better alternative? Or maybe its the same thing for all I know.

Maninguenice
November 16th, 2012, 02:45
My bad, trusty old google clarified things quite a bit. Let me reformulate my silly question from earlier. What level of graded reader would you recommend for someone who has gone through (and presumably retained most) of Genki I and II? I saw the vocab counts for each level, but what about grammar points? They look kinda pricy, so skipping 0 and (maybe) 1 would be nice if they'd be boring anyway.

jwkelley
November 17th, 2012, 00:55
They might be below your level. This website seems to have the most info on each level.

Japanese Graded Readers : Readers and More : Japanese Bookstore : The Japan Shop (http://www.thejapanshop.com/Japanese-Graded-Readers-Readers-and-More-Japanese-Bookstore/b/2359252011)

CherryBerry
November 18th, 2012, 13:08
My bad, trusty old google clarified things quite a bit. Let me reformulate my silly question from earlier. What level of graded reader would you recommend for someone who has gone through (and presumably retained most) of Genki I and II? I saw the vocab counts for each level, but what about grammar points? They look kinda pricy, so skipping 0 and (maybe) 1 would be nice if they'd be boring anyway.

Have you looked into any other books? My college uses "Situational Functional Japanese (SFJ)" which from what I've seen is similar to "Japanese for busy people". If you want to know what is in vol.3 of SFJ please let me know. :)

Maninguenice
November 21st, 2012, 19:17
If you want to know what is in vol.3 of SFJ please let me know. :)

Thanks, that'd be great CherryBerry! Is it a reader or a full on textbook?

CherryBerry
November 22nd, 2012, 02:38
It's 2 parts, the Notes (reader part) and Drills.( plus they are pretty cheap picked up my books for about $12 off Amazon) Right now I'm at my parents house for turkey day, but I will post whats in the book when I get home monday. ^.^

CherryBerry
November 28th, 2012, 15:23
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/403115_10151320539910767_933678360_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/399282_10151320539940767_2123352071_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/263708_10151320539915767_1636193843_n.jpg
I took a pictures of the table of contents for the Notes book. I also took a picture of a page from the Drills book.

Teishou
November 28th, 2012, 15:35
Keego. That's a new one.

CherryBerry
November 29th, 2012, 01:06
Keego. That's a new one.

Keego is probably 75-80% of what you do in 3rd year Japanese at University of Oregon. Some of it is really easy to remember, most of it likes to run straight past my brain and out my ear. XD

coop52
November 29th, 2012, 08:03
You made it at least 3 years of university level Japanese without realizing 敬語 should be romanized as "keigo"?

CherryBerry
November 29th, 2012, 08:13
:redface: I didn't even notice I made an error when I wrote that. Guess all the traveling and delays messed up by brain. ^.^

Teishou
November 29th, 2012, 08:19
...Seems like it messed up the pages in your textbook, too.

MJN
December 6th, 2012, 08:41
Even if you come knowing absolutely nothing, you'll probably pick up the essential skills pretty quickly. I honestly don't see how some people who live here for years and years never pick up any Japanese.

By living in a hole and dealing with problems by either crying or not answering the door.

jwkelley
December 6th, 2012, 09:45
I had my friend who is around n2 in his Japanese ability try one of the readers. He read a reader from level 3. He said some stuff was hard but that he understood most of it and he was able to finish the book in about 20 minutes.