PDA

View Full Version : Which is correct way to write hiragana?

MJjunkie86
October 15th, 2012, 23:41
http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/graphics/hiragana_ki.jpg

Which is preferred? I was taught the one on the right but my boyfriend learnt the one on the left and says that is better.
Does it matter?

coop52
October 16th, 2012, 08:10
Can't see whatever you posted, but both ways are probably correct. Some hiragana are taught different ways. For example, some places teach lines than hook for も, while others teach hook then lines. As long as it's legible, it doesn't matter that much in the long run.

The thing with stroke order is that a lot of Japanese people end up writing it their own way anyway, so it's not a terribly big deal if you make small mistakes. As long as you follow the general rules, it should look right.

MJjunkie86
October 16th, 2012, 08:49
Thanks for sorting out the pic, RomLup.

As you couldn't see the picture, I think my point was missed, I apologise! As opposed to key stroke order, I meant writing the Ki, for example, with the rounded part joined up vs not joined up!

Cytrix
October 16th, 2012, 08:50
Both are fine and you'll see both written just as equally around the place. It's the difference between using one font style over another most the time.

coop52
October 16th, 2012, 08:52
Now it makes sense. Either way is fine.

MJN
October 16th, 2012, 11:00
Which of the following is correct in handwriting?

a a

That's pretty much how I was taught, I wrote き/さ etc joined up when I came but was told by the natives to stop it.

MJjunkie86
October 18th, 2012, 08:53
Hmm ok thanks guys.
So seems my boyfriend and I are both right, but he is more right ;)

FYI I hate that first "a". Ugh!

abbajen
November 2nd, 2012, 08:09
I was taught the handwritten way (the left character), so I tell my students not to connect the characters き Or さ, because that would be like writing a typed Times New Roman "g" (the one that has the funny circle at the bottom).

MJjunkie86
November 2nd, 2012, 08:36
Oooh ok, another good comparison! I'm trying my best to write it the "handwritten" way now!