PDA

View Full Version : Interac: questions and short on time :/

Thamsuong
November 4th, 2012, 08:39
I've been invited to a seminar a week away! Short on time is an understatement, but definitely doable.

So a few questions:
-Have any of you had a criminal record? Embarassingly enough I had a mishap almost 6 years ago where I was getting back from a study abroad session in Italy, and my license had lapsed while I was over there. Of course, I don't notice, and then get pulled over a few weeks after landing. The cop said I had a great record, but he couldn't get around it, and so he wrote me up for a criminal offense (in Florida). I renewed the very next day, and signed all of the documents and such, but I was terrified it would show up in my CBC when I pulled it up today, and lo-and-behold there it was.
So am I in a no-go zone when it comes to a hire by Interac? Honestly, teaching abroad has been a dream of mine for so long, but I have to imagine with the amount of candidates out there who don't have any criminal records (even though mine is a simple traffic offense) that I'd immediately get tossed in the garbage. Have any of you worked for Interac? Do you know what their policy is? I'm pretty much freaking out >.<

I'm so sorry for bothering, and I really would appreciate any help you could give me!

akanemukade
November 4th, 2012, 15:04

Thamsuong
November 7th, 2012, 04:05
Hi! Thank you so much for the reply :).
Funny enough there has been a development in the situation. It turns out that it wasn't a criminal offense because of the term of expiration, and the extenuating circumstances with my being out of the country. I found this out by calling the courts. In which case, the criminal offense I had wrongly assumed was the expiration (the only thing even resembling a major happening in my life), is in fact attributed to an address that I've never lived at, and a year before I even had the incident. Also, when I checked on the case ID number, it didn't exist. I used a private company recommended by Interac to do the CBC, and apparently it gave me a false positive on my criminal record. I am going through the sheriff's office to get a certified CBC, but this is really terrifying!
You work for Interac, and so I wanted to ask - should I notify them of the false positive when I turn in my CBC? I don't want them thinking I have a criminal record when I don't. I will sign the form for them to do the background check themselves, and provide them with the certified national and state agency one I went ahead and did, but should I turn in the research I've done so far to prove that the false positive Integrascan is giving me is just that? Should I get a letter from the courts? I don't want them thinking that I'm lying if this is their go-to background check company. What do you think? I can give you more information if you'd like.

stephiiStephii
November 7th, 2012, 04:46
Hi Thamsuong! I don't work for Interac yet but will be heading over next March with them.

I think what you can do is just email or call your main contact person at the Interac office and let them know briefly what happened. Like akanemukade said, it was minor and there was no jail time served anyway. It definitely shouldn't hinder your application process.

But for the sake of full disclosure, you could just drop an email to your contact person briefly explaining the situation and and requesting that they note the results of the certified CBC.

All the best!! I wouldn't worry about it too much :^_^:

Laevatienn
November 7th, 2012, 06:26
Hi! Thank you so much for the reply :).
Funny enough there has been a development in the situation. It turns out that it wasn't a criminal offense because of the term of expiration, and the extenuating circumstances with my being out of the country. I found this out by calling the courts. In which case, the criminal offense I had wrongly assumed was the expiration (the only thing even resembling a major happening in my life), is in fact attributed to an address that I've never lived at, and a year before I even had the incident. Also, when I checked on the case ID number, it didn't exist. I used a private company recommended by Interac to do the CBC, and apparently it gave me a false positive on my criminal record. I am going through the sheriff's office to get a certified CBC, but this is really terrifying!
You work for Interac, and so I wanted to ask - should I notify them of the false positive when I turn in my CBC? I don't want them thinking I have a criminal record when I don't. I will sign the form for them to do the background check themselves, and provide them with the certified national and state agency one I went ahead and did, but should I turn in the research I've done so far to prove that the false positive Integrascan is giving me is just that? Should I get a letter from the courts? I don't want them thinking that I'm lying if this is their go-to background check company. What do you think? I can give you more information if you'd like.

Don't worry too much about it. They recommend...Scan something...because it gives a quick result. Often times people got FBI checks and those take 4-6 weeks which throws a wrench in when they can send your application to Tokyo. They have more official routes they use if they run a check on you later which, if the case number really doesn't exist, shouldn't be a problem. Scan-something uses a third party database. It creates a few problems in general as sometimes it will pop out someone with the same name as you, same age, but not you. Other times it will pop out the same name but someone completely different (i.e. a 107 year old gangster who just happen to have the same name). They should know that Scan-something is not a perfect system, lawyers are picky people, and will not hold it against you.

akanemukade
November 7th, 2012, 07:29

Laevatienn
November 7th, 2012, 07:37
Personally I wouldn't even mention it to them if it was a false positive and you can get a more accurate assessment from somewhere else. Why make them worry? But if you choose to mention it to them briefly, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Also, don't worry so much. My recruiter told me that if you get invited to a seminar and you send in all the paperwork neatly and on time, you're pretty much guaranteed the job.

Wow, bar set very low. Yeah, most people are offered but what about those who aren't? Most of the people here are hired but still the recruiter should never say that. The recruiter doesn't have the final say. The people in Tokyo do. Saying that is very irresponsible of said recruiter. Always make sure you get your stuff in and never assume you have the easy road after. Look for the best, expect the worst (the rich are blessed, the poor are cursed...The Twelve Chairs). More of the opposite to akanemukade's statement than anything else. I respect Akane's posts but I can't agree with all of them.

Side note/Edit: I just realized who your avatar is Akane. It's been bugging me for so long. Tales of Symphonia, Colette. My main character. I love playing Colette, she's a fun character to solo Niflheim with.

akanemukade
November 7th, 2012, 07:42

Laevatienn
November 7th, 2012, 07:47
You don't have to agree with me. I'm just saying that's what I heard my recruiter say. And everyone at my seminar got the job so... I'm not naive enough to assume everyone gets accepted, but the odds are still pretty good.

Indeed, sorry, I came off a little oddly. I meant it more along the lines of "hey, your chances are good but don't go into lull because of it" sort of thing. I tend to word things oddly and it comes out wrong. Cheers to naivete and communication breakdown!

akanemukade
November 7th, 2012, 07:50

Laevatienn
November 7th, 2012, 08:08
No worries! You raise an excellent point and I know you work in the office so you would know better than most. It was probably too bold of me to assume that you're set after the seminar. I just wanted to make Thamsuong feel better. :) And yes, I love Colette from Tales of Symphonia!!

Past tense. Worked. I no longer am in Tokyo. I miss it. You need to enjoy Japan for my share too, eat a Melon Pan or Strawberry Sandwich every now and then for me. Now I'm just floating as a writer, network admin, tech support guy for a small business. I need to head back soon though. I'm started to feel the longing.

@Thamsuong: Take Akanemukade's advice when it comes to the BC and just submit the one you get from your Sheriff's office. Basically you can say, hey I got an official one here that says I've never been convicted. That's all you need really. Again, though, it's not a severe thing and it took place years ago. You worry too much, as you should technically but still.

Thamsuong
November 8th, 2012, 15:49
I would submit the one that the sheriff gave me except I need to get fingerprinted, and then go through the entire background process which takes about 5 weeks. I currently have until sometime in December to submit my documents, and my seminar is this Saturday (I was only called a week ago). I would go through another private agency to get the results faster, but how would I prove the new one is better than the Integrascan one?
I also have to sign and turn in that document stating that I give them permission to do a background check on me, and if they use Integrascan then they might even nix me out of the interview process without even confirming the truth of the 'criminal offense', which is an outright lie.
So as of now, the official way will take too long, but the unofficial (private) way is a he-said-she-said case if I get the new report from another company, and even if I provide the documents proving my innocence, who says they'll care enough at that point to listen? They might consider me more trouble than I'm worth, and with my qualifications I'm not worth all that much. I'm so ticked that a company like Integrascan can operate like this, and give out false information! I contacted them, and they said it wasn't their problem. I know...I know...I worry too much, but Interac really is my best hope. At this point, what do you think I should do?
Thank you so much for the help you've been so far!

stephiiStephii
November 8th, 2012, 22:29
As a Jamaican I can honestly say I'm not that familiar with the Sheriff's office route, but maybe just go ahead and say "hey, the third party reported this however it's false and here is official documentation" - Interac will conduct proper, accurate background checks in future. You may feel that time is limited right now but believe me there's a decent wait between seminar and offer of employment.. and worse, between offer and actually leaving lol.

I can understand your concern but try not to blow it out of proportion. Give Interac a heads up. They're very understanding and I'm sure they know that third party offices will not be 100% accurate and are just for prelim. stuff.

All the best!

Laevatienn
November 9th, 2012, 06:17
I would submit the one that the sheriff gave me except I need to get fingerprinted, and then go through the entire background process which takes about 5 weeks. I currently have until sometime in December to submit my documents, and my seminar is this Saturday (I was only called a week ago). I would go through another private agency to get the results faster, but how would I prove the new one is better than the Integrascan one?
I also have to sign and turn in that document stating that I give them permission to do a background check on me, and if they use Integrascan then they might even nix me out of the interview process without even confirming the truth of the 'criminal offense', which is an outright lie.
So as of now, the official way will take too long, but the unofficial (private) way is a he-said-she-said case if I get the new report from another company, and even if I provide the documents proving my innocence, who says they'll care enough at that point to listen? They might consider me more trouble than I'm worth, and with my qualifications I'm not worth all that much. I'm so ticked that a company like Integrascan can operate like this, and give out false information! I contacted them, and they said it wasn't their problem. I know...I know...I worry too much, but Interac really is my best hope. At this point, what do you think I should do?
Thank you so much for the help you've been so far!

Agreed with Stephii, call the Utah Office and explain your situation and that the record has been removed and that you can provide proof. I hear they are very reasonable. I know Stephen, the director of Interac America, a good guy and he's a good judge of character so the staff he employs are more likely to help you rather than turn you back.

Technically IntegraScan is providing mostly correct information and they even have something the general feds don't see listed due to the way they operate. The issues I mentioned are very rare and far in between but it happens. Same with all other 3rd party systems. Can't hate a database system too much. All they do is dump information after all.