PDA

View Full Version : Working Visa Issue

Phillip
November 7th, 2012, 11:57
Hi all, I'm new here and was possibly hoping for some info regarding a Japanese working visa.

Basically, I've been very keen to work in Japan for a while now. Most likely as an ALT as I have a degree and some decent work experience. I was excited about the JET program and went to an information seminar but subsiquently decided not to apply due to the following.

A few years ago I went to court and lost my drivers licence for one year as a result of being slightly over the legal alcohol limit. Yes, a very bad mistake which I regret immensly. Obviously I discontinued my interest with JET on the assumption that I was wasting my time due to the required police check.

So my question is; To what extent will this issue impact my ability to secure a working visa in Japan? Does obtaining a working visa in any regard (including finding sponsorship from a school) require the same background check employed by JET?

Perhaps I deserve this for making this mistake to begin with, but I'm just trying to establish my options at this point.

Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers.

stephiiStephii
November 7th, 2012, 12:10
Hey! I would say.. nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know that the application process for JET can be tedious but if you get through I'm sure it will be worth it.

Your chances probably depend on the company you are applying for and their standards. If it was a few years back and not like.. last month lol then that would also make a diff. So apply around, you never know! We all make mistakes but it doesn't hafto follow you for life, especially if it's not something that you repeat.

Phillip
November 8th, 2012, 08:45
Thanks for the advice and kind words Stephi, I'll certainly have to find a way somehow.

I was advised by a JET administrator that if a police check reveals such an offence, then it's highly likely that it would prevent a successful application.

To be a bit more specific then, would I have a reasonable chance of success if I were to just go straight to Japan and submit my resume to some schools who may be interested in hiring ALT's?

Is one's background always checked as a pre-requisate for granting a working visa? Or is this just the case with companies like JET?

stephiiStephii
November 8th, 2012, 11:43
There are lots of companies that will facilitate you going over so try a few of those - Interac, Gaba, Aeon, Berlitz etc.. I'm going with Interac next March, which is a dispatch company. As far as I can tell yes places will def run a check on your history.

I've heard off people who successfully went to Japan, handed out their resumes and found a job in a few months. Personally I'm way too afraid to try that lol.

If this is something you really want though, try the dispatch companies and the conversation schools. Also try for JET if you think you can make yourself look great otherwise.

Keep me posted! :^_^:

Laevatienn
November 9th, 2012, 06:05
Thanks for the advice and kind words Stephi, I'll certainly have to find a way somehow.

I was advised by a JET administrator that if a police check reveals such an offense, then it's highly likely that it would prevent a successful application.

To be a bit more specific then, would I have a reasonable chance of success if I were to just go straight to Japan and submit my resume to some schools who may be interested in hiring ALT's?

Is one's background always checked as a prerequisites for granting a working visa? Or is this just the case with companies like JET?

Generally, yes, nearly everyone requires a background check. And no I would not go to Japan and hand in a few resumes. The reason why is in your title. You need a working visa. Going over without a working visa will disqualify you from working for the most part (tourist visa/student visa/special visa). In order to work you need a working visa and you cannot change your visa while in Japan except under very strange circumstances. Hiring someone without a working visa is illegal. Some shady companies will do it but you have no rights if they are caught or if they dislike you. The other shady thing done is basically going to Japan, finding a job, applying for the working visa while in Japan, leaving Japan to Korea or somewhere similarly close and re-enter to change your visa.

It'll be hard to go over with that type of record. The Japanese take drinking and driving very seriously (just look at their bicycle laws) and, while minor-ish to most western countries, it definitely puts a large road block in your path to Japan. I would look into your local laws on getting a DUI expunged. Really, that's the only solution I can offer you. Try anyway without and see if you can get in somewhere but again the Japanese are the hard asses of the world. Everywhere else is cake to be hired for compared to the bureaucracy of Japan. Look-up getting your record expunged. It shouldn't be too difficult if this is your first offense. Theoretically.

Edit: If you're in Australia you'll likely be out of luck for 10 years from the date of conviction and if you were not jailed. I'm not an expert on Australian law so you'd need to go about your local law offices or any resource you can trust to find out.

stephiiStephii
November 9th, 2012, 06:16
Wow, thanks for clarifying all that Laevatienn.. much more realistic than I had thought x_x

Phillip
November 13th, 2012, 07:55
Wow.

Thanks for the info Laevatienn, that makes everything much clearer. Obviously, not the news I was hoping for though.

Perhaps I'll consider trying to get a working visa in Korea and visit Japan while I'm there.

Can anyone suggest a good path to take into South Korea, institution wise as an ALT?

Thanks again Laevatienn and Stephi, you've both been a great help.

Cheers

Teishou
November 13th, 2012, 15:39
EPIK.

Phillip
November 13th, 2012, 20:28
EPIK.

Cheers ;)

Phillip
November 17th, 2012, 03:36
Once again I'm asking for something for nothing..

I'm embarrassed.. Thanks for the recommendation Teishou, I just have one question.

According to the application criteria stipulated by EPIK in this page ; Visa for Korea - Teaching Visa for Korea | Teach Away Inc. (http://www.teachaway.com/teach-english-korea/visa-korea/)

They appear to require a certified criminal background check. While I don't really like to think of myself as a criminal, will my DUI offense from three years ago be of substantial discouragement to EPIK as to deny me the the opportunity to teach in Korea also?

i.e. is this issue really of less significance to Korea as it is to Japan?

I hope I'm being overly cautious here..

Phill

Teishou
November 20th, 2012, 20:19
I honestly couldn't say, as I've never had that particular issue. However, you'll never know unless you make the attempt. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket, and I'm sure you'll be just fine.