PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from? Where are you going?

jusam13
May 22nd, 2004, 07:35
Just curious where we are all from. Also please note your prefecture placement and city or town. Cool! I know it's another list. Oh well. I am excited. I hope we can plan some cool events to visit eachothers locations.

Pamela (jusam13)
Burlington, WI currently living in DC (about to move back tomorrow)
Mie-ken (city unknown)

madeline
May 22nd, 2004, 08:11
I'm from Seattle, and I just found out that I'm going to Joyo-shi in Kyoto-to!! Wow...I am SO excited!! :D :D :D
-Madeline

akira
May 22nd, 2004, 13:44
Congrats madeline! Are you an ALT?

I wonder if other Seattle kids will get their notification soon. Here's hoping mine arrives in the mail tomorrow.

May I also ask what your choices were?

madeline
May 23rd, 2004, 01:14
hi akira -
i actually applied through LA (where i went to college) and then switched my departure city to seattle. LA sent notifications last week, the 19th i think. i got mine in an email. and yes, i'm an ALT. no japanese language skills here!
my placement requests were kyoto-ken, nara-ken, and wakayama-ken.

Faustus
May 23rd, 2004, 02:44
Hey all- first post here (although I'm on BD pretty constantly- it just took me ages to get this site to work with my browser; not happy with Safari, apparantly).

I'm an ALT-to-be, coming from Maine and headed to Miki-Shi, in Hyogo Ken (and if anyone knows anything about it, please share, as I'm desperate for info). I've had three semesters of college Japanese, which I think will be a pretty good base to improve from, but I hear that Kansai-ben can be impenetrable at times. Hoping for the best, though.

It's definitely a relief to know where I'm going- it feels real now, which is very cool.

Also, does anyone know how to upload an avatar? I'm hunting around on my profile site and can't seem to find the right field to fill in (but I might just be retarded and brain-dead from finals week).

akira
May 23rd, 2004, 02:50
Hi Faustus,

Re: avatar, can be a bit confusing. You want to be in one of the forums and hit "Profile" on top, where you can add your own.

Faustus
May 23rd, 2004, 02:52
Hey, thanks. Just found it (only took me 20 minutes!). Got it now, though- because it would just be tragic if I didn't have an avatar an' all. :roll:

llumynia
May 25th, 2004, 11:50
florida, usa to takatori-cho nara-ken, japan!

Bron
May 25th, 2004, 19:30
Bron, 22/F, JET ALT
Placement: Hyogo-ken (town unknown)

muna
May 25th, 2004, 22:50
Name: Kevin

Placement: Osaka-fu. (Exact location unknown as yet)

Departs: London, 24th July (Group A)

Lia
May 25th, 2004, 23:54
Name: Lia
Going to : Kochi
departs: 31st July

excited and cant wait :) :D :)

Faustus
May 26th, 2004, 00:45
Just as an aside to the Scouser types, I went to Liverpool a while back while I was studying abroad in London (have to make the Beatles pilgrimage and all :P ), and I had a blast- it seems like a really great city.

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled topic.

Rumi42
May 26th, 2004, 05:08
Name: Dylan
Currently Residing in: Spokane, WA
Soon to be Residing in: Hyogo ken (not sure which city yet...)
Social Security #: 346-42-2434
CC#:4426-4536-8220-9622

Hannah
May 26th, 2004, 05:17
Hannah

Going to: Gojo City, Nara Prefecture

Dept. Group B (31st July) Yikes! :D

Email me if you are in Nara prefecture or there abouts. Hannah_E_Y at Yahoo dot com

C U all in Tokyo!

MrSnrub
May 26th, 2004, 05:39
I'll add myself here too:
Gordon from Auckland NZ, we are in group B (August 1st) and I'm going to Hisai-shi in Mie

justhis1nce
May 26th, 2004, 09:25
Since you guys all introduced yourselves, I reckon I will too...
I'm Alison, from Berkeley CA, and I'll be in Kobe ~!

Faustus, don't worry about Kansai-ben. Most people will speak standard to you, and it's pretty easy to pick up.

Helena
June 9th, 2004, 10:27
I'm from Detroit and Chicago (just graduating from University of Chicago). I'll be in Osaka, teaching at Osaka Joshi Gakuen, which apparently is in the heart of the city. wakuwaku! Hundreds of cute sweet Japanese high school girls! How much fun! I really don't know much about my school yet (well, I guess since I know the school at all it is more than a lot of people) or about how to get set up and prepared, but I hope to find out soon! I have the name of one of the ALTs there now who will still be there next year, but not the name of the one who is leaving who is the one I suppose who is actually my 'pred', and the person I am most likely to get stuff/apartment from! But I am looking forward to going so much, especially after finding out I'll be in Osaka! Now to train myself to say 'wakarahen' in place of 'wakannai'... ;)

Nikbot
June 9th, 2004, 16:46
Nik
Currently in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Going to Osaka-shi (my 1st choice!)

Okonomiyaki ahoy!

professor_chimpenstein
June 12th, 2004, 00:33
wow - found a thread I havent posted in

Im James from Chester in the UK

Im going to Osaka (shi)

Cant wait to sample the nightlife!

Woo woo!

James

stenar
June 13th, 2004, 08:10
Hi,
I'm a Montreal (QC, Canada) Jet going to Nara. Anyone else?
Later

Nikbot
June 14th, 2004, 02:37
I'll see you in Osaka, Chimp!

cottamg
June 14th, 2004, 03:16
Name: Gareth Cottam

Placement: Yabu-shi, Hyogo-ken ----- That's right.. the mountains!

Departs: Perth, 31th July (Group B)

dcsy
June 22nd, 2004, 12:24
I'm Dora from Toronto, Canada. I'll be headed to Higashiosaka City in Osaka-fu this August, and have been placed at Ikejima H.S. Looking forward to meeting all others who'll be in Osaka or the surrounding areas!

maya
June 22nd, 2004, 21:15
Alrighty!!!

Im off to Hyogo, Kawanishi.

Kawanishi-Midoridai High School.

From Perth

Anyone near by?

Nikbot
June 28th, 2004, 01:00
Now I can be more detailed

Honjo apartment complex, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi

Room number ... I don't know yet, but I won't tell you lot anyway. You're all shifty gaijin :?

GWave120
June 30th, 2004, 04:32
Name: Mike
Going to: Nagahama-shi, Shiga-ken
Depart: Group B, New Orleans to Detroit to Narita, 31 July

Ferby
July 1st, 2004, 15:47
going: Nagahama, Shiga-ken
depart:group B

Hey Mike I hope you keep snacks, I like to borrow them! :wink:

puppyguitar
July 2nd, 2004, 08:11
I'm from New Jersey in the U.S. and will be living in Nishinomiya-shi, Hyogo-ken. Anyone who's nearby (Kobe, Osaka, etc.) should feel free to contact me, especially if you feel like checking out some (music) shows or something.

AtomicYak
July 4th, 2004, 03:00
Going to: Kusatsu shi, Shiga Ken

GWave120
July 9th, 2004, 17:30
Hey Mike I hope you keep snacks, I like to borrow them! :wink:

Wait a sec, you can't borrow a snack! You can only take them! Damn you in advance!

Are all the newbies in Shiga, but me, from Michigan? Stupid sister state affiliations.

Nikbot
July 12th, 2004, 23:50
I think I might have benefited from a sister-city relationship. Apparently Melbourne (where I interviewed, but have never resided) has a sister-city relationship with Osaka-shi. I lived most of my life in Brisbane, which is paired with Kobe-shi, so I guess I would have been nearby anyway.

Ferby
July 13th, 2004, 12:14
Guess I'm busted Mike! :lol: But hopefully we'll have a great time there. Are you working in Nagahama as well because I am not.

On another note I hear that ones chances of being placed with there sister state is pretty great, unless you have a special request with good reason.

katharine
July 23rd, 2004, 01:14
Apparently having half my family living somewhere wasn't a good enough reason to put me even on the same island where I put all three requests. :?

Laura
July 27th, 2004, 01:47
Don't think I ever filled this out...

Name: Laura (obviously :) )
Placement: Miki-shi (little industrial city 1 hour from Kobe), Hyogo
Departing: 19:45, 31st July