PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Winter/Spring 2013

Pages : 1 [2]

winsome_mushroom
February 6th, 2013, 09:28
I'm also still waiting (though not as long as some of you it seems). Trying to will my phone to ring.

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 09:49
I've been willing my phone to ring for about 3 weeks now, lol... I just gotta know!! Lol

winsome_mushroom
February 6th, 2013, 09:50
I've been willing my phone to ring for about 3 weeks now, lol... I just gotta know!! Lol

Maybe if we combine powers....

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 09:54
If we get 3 more people "by our powers combined we can summon Captian Phonecall!"
Lol... Please some get the reference!

winsome_mushroom
February 6th, 2013, 09:55
If we get 3 more people "by our powers combined we can summon Captian Phonecall!"
Lol... Please some get the reference!

asdfgjklladvsdB AH. *dates self*

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 09:57
I totally did it, lol.

paromo
February 6th, 2013, 10:01
I'm at the point where I'm actually disappointed when friends and family call me, thinking, maybe, just maybe it could be my placement call, haha.

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 10:11
What I'm tired of is people asking me every freakin day! Lol
Trust me, when I know, you will know, lol.

winsome_mushroom
February 6th, 2013, 10:15
What I'm tired of is people asking me every freakin day! Lol
Trust me, when I know, you will know, lol.

Right? Though at this point its more because people are trying to plan around me. :(

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 10:24
Same with me. It's really disappointing because I don't have any news and everyone wants to know.... Ah! I just need the phone call, lol.

paromo
February 6th, 2013, 10:37
I've been telling people, "I don't know" for so long, I don't think they even believe I'm moving to Japan anymore, ha. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I believe it...

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 11:45
So I sent my new picture in today and got a fast response, lol.
At least someone thinks its nice. (or they are just being nice, lol) I think I look horrible in all photos, but I guess we are our own worse judges... lol

maybe ill get the call today!!
(please please please!)

Blake Islington
February 6th, 2013, 19:52
I got my call on Monday Yokohama for me, non driving.

mothy
February 6th, 2013, 22:34
I've been telling people, "I don't know" for so long, I don't think they even believe I'm moving to Japan anymore, ha. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I believe it...

If only my denial stage had started before I came to Japan. I might have lived happily ever after in the land of milk and honey.

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 22:37
I got my call on Monday Yokohama for me, non driving.

yokohama sounds like it would be an amazing place!!

Konnichiwayuki
February 6th, 2013, 23:42
I'm still waiting on my placement too. I will help you "Summon Captain Phonecall". I got the email too, about the photo resend. Sent it back already. Glad to hear it doesn't affect placement

Blake Islington
February 7th, 2013, 01:15
yokohama sounds like it would be an amazing place!!

A big city. To be honest I was hoping for something away from a large city. Less English! However I would've been crazy to turn down such an offer. At least it will make travelling around the country easier. Shame I don't get a car though.

I also had the impression city positions are not for first timers with Interac. So not to sure what happened with it. Although I have been employed for the last three years as a trainer in England. I wonder if that has something to do with it :\

penguins42
February 7th, 2013, 01:21
A big city. To be honest I was hoping for something away from a large city. Less English! However I would've been crazy to turn down such an offer. At least it will make travelling around the country easier. Shame I don't get a car though.

I also had the impression city positions are not for first timers with Interac. So not to sure what happened with it. Although I have been employed for the last three years as a trainer. I wonder if that has something to do with it :\

Another Yokohama! I'm looking forward to meeting our local group. You've been working as an ALT trainer with Interac until now?

I know what you mean - I was absolutely picturing a rural placement with a car to explore some, not such a big city, but I guess there are a few of us that are first-timers that somehow snuck into the mix.

Blake Islington
February 7th, 2013, 01:26
Another Yokohama! I'm looking forward to meeting our local group. You've been working as an ALT trainer with Interac until now?

I know what you mean - I was absolutely picturing a rural placement with a car to explore some, not such a big city, but I guess there are a few of us that are first-timers that somehow snuck into the mix.

Ah no! First time moving and living in Japan, I have been a Trainer in England for three years.

I went and edited my last post to make sure it's clear xD

TAmember2003
February 7th, 2013, 01:38
I actually like the idea of Yokohama more than Tokyo... you have city, but its not TOKYO.. lol. and It's close to tokyo.
Do yall know what part? Like near the center or is it near the outskirts?

Blake Islington
February 7th, 2013, 01:50
I actually like the idea of Yokohama more than Tokyo... you have city, but its not TOKYO.. lol. and It's close to tokyo.
Do yall know what part? Like near the center or is it near the outskirts?

Sometime this week I will hear from the Yokohama branch, and I assume that will contain everything I need to know. Could be anywhere really.
Living in the centre of any city would be expensive and I would assume unheard of for an ALT, I also wouldn't want to pay the high prices!
I would guess, the city outskirts.

TAmember2003
February 7th, 2013, 02:09
yeah, I was looking at maps, and from those it looks like its just one big city... lol
what a place to be in... I kinda hope for a rural place and slowly move myself towards the city... lol..
but I think I would be happy with a city placement as well, lol.

penguins42
February 7th, 2013, 02:12
Yeah, like Blake I don't have much more information yet. They seemed to know especially little on my call though - Yokohama, mostly at some unknown number of elementary schools, and not much else. I assume we're more on the outskirts, but who knows.

Lianwen
February 7th, 2013, 11:32
Last year I was offered an interview for a Yokohama placement (immediate start date) and the woman I was speaking to was really nice. To my understanding, a few of the Yokohama positions are new and they needed people immediately to fill them, which is probably why there are "first timers" who were offered it :)

paromo
February 7th, 2013, 13:06
Just got my placement! Sagamihara-shi, a city of about 700,000 in Kanagawa prefecture, non-driving. Pretty much next door to Yokohama and a stone's throw away from Tokyo. I'm stoked!

TAmember2003
February 7th, 2013, 13:08
thats so cool! (yet another placement.. WHERE IS MINE?! lol)
mind if I ask if you live in the states? (i still might have a chance today if they just called you!)

paromo
February 7th, 2013, 13:31
Yep, Texas, Central Time Zone. Got the call around 10:00 pm.

TAmember2003
February 7th, 2013, 13:37
oh cool, im central as well... I wonder when they stop making calls for the day.

zombiekelly
February 7th, 2013, 13:59
700,000 people?! I got 44,000 and a lake. :|

paromo
February 7th, 2013, 14:22
Yeah, I'm stunned to say the least. After some research I found out I'm going to be 35-40 minutes outside of Tokyo by train. Wild stuff!

Oh, and I'll be working under the Yokohama Branch as well. So, howdy to y'all being placed in Yokohama; we're neighbors!

zombiekelly
February 7th, 2013, 14:37
35-40 is a lot better than my two hour shinkansen ride.

I just got updated on my position- I'll be almost exclusively junior high. He said I'll only visit an elementary school once a month if that. Hurm. What do junior high kids find interesting? I was going to bring some DVDs, beanie babies, and foreign coins.

Lianwen
February 7th, 2013, 14:42

I just got updated on my position- I'll be almost exclusively junior high. He said I'll only visit an elementary school once a month if that. Hurm. What do junior high kids find interesting? I was going to bring some DVDs, beanie babies, and foreign coins.

Stickers. Also, Phineas and Ferb are my kids latest obsession.

zombiekelly
February 7th, 2013, 15:08
We really only have Pokemon and Disney princess stickers at the local stores, so I'll have to buy those online before I go.

paromo
February 7th, 2013, 16:09
From what I can tell, Sagamihara used to be 4 separate cities, and is split into three districts, which accounts for the large population. I may very well be out in a more rural area of the city, which is fine by me and even preferable.

winsome_mushroom
February 7th, 2013, 23:37
I got my placement yesterday! Minobu, Yamanashi Pref. Driving position exclusively JHS it seems. It's very rural, 14,000 pop density. Its way more rural than I expected, but I'm close to Mt. Fuji and Tokyo isn't actually that hard to get to. It's about a 4h non-shink ride and 2h shink ride.

Nagoya is also close by and that was my main goal haha.

I think i might accept it!

Blake Islington
February 7th, 2013, 23:55
I got my placement yesterday! Minobu, Yamanashi Pref. Driving position exclusively JHS it seems. It's very rural, 14,000 pop density. Its way more rural than I expected, but I'm close to Mt. Fuji and Tokyo isn't actually that hard to get to. It's about a 4h non-shink ride and 2h shink ride.

Nagoya is also close by and that was my main goal haha.

I think i might accept it!

Go for it, Japan is more than 'just' Tokyo. I have been watching the Interac Facebook group and everyone seems to look at how far away they are from Tokyo. As if this is the deciding factor.
The only pros I can think of being so close to Tokyo is the ease of transport out of the city to explore other regions.
The only other folk that might care about Tokyo are raging anime folk who get a gleegasm from buying the latest plastic toy.

I have been to Fuji before on a holiday and it's stunning. Jealous of all the fun you can have in the great outdoors.

winsome_mushroom
February 8th, 2013, 00:03
Go for it, Japan is more than 'just' Tokyo. I have been watching the Interac Facebook group and everyone seems to look at how far away they are from Tokyo. As if this is the deciding factor.
The only pros I can think of being so close to Tokyo is the ease of transport out of the city to explore other regions.
The only other folk that might care about Tokyo are raging anime folk who get a gleegasm from buying the latest plastic toy.

I have been to Fuji before on a holiday and it's stunning. Jealous of all the fun you can have in the great outdoors.

Actually, my interest in Tokyo is for far different reasons. I don't actually like the city whatsoever, I have very little interest in the night life or any of the anime culture. Tokyo is one of the closest places (sadly) where I can watch the Met Opera broadcasts and I have a very close friend that lives in that area. Not to mention there are a few stage (actual stage not idols) actors I would like to see when they have performances there. Otherwise I must wait for them to tour!

I haven't had a chance to see Fuji as I mostly have traveled in the Kansai area, so I will be excited to live near it! Please seems like Minobu has its own mountain! Minbousan! Very excited about that.

Blake Islington
February 8th, 2013, 00:21
Actually, my interest in Tokyo is for far different reasons. I don't actually like the city whatsoever, I have very little interest in the night life or any of the anime culture. Tokyo is one of the closest places (sadly) where I can watch the Met Opera broadcasts and I have a very close friend that lives in that area. Not to mention there are a few stage (actual stage not idols) actors I would like to see when they have performances there. Otherwise I must wait for them to tour!

I haven't had a chance to see Fuji as I mostly have traveled in the Kansai area, so I will be excited to live near it! Please seems like Minobu has its own mountain! Minbousan! Very excited about that.

Sounds like good reasons, and when you look at it. Four hours by train for a weekend in Tokyo with a show isn't all bad.

Look excited! I know I am.

winsome_mushroom
February 8th, 2013, 00:24
Sounds like good reasons, and when you look at it. Four hours by train for a weekend to see a show isn't all bad.

Look excited! I know I am.

Not at all! Its about the same when I would go up to NY to see shows too! ^_^

paromo
February 8th, 2013, 01:24
Defineitly feel the same way about being placed (so very) near to Tokyo. I wasn't hoping or even planning on it, but all in all I'm pretty happy about it.

I love watching live music, and the closest thing to me is Austin, TX which is about 5 hours away which makes seeing just about any musician a possible experience, but it's not something your doing every weekend, or even month for that matter.

I also love baseball, and it takes 6 hours to get to Houston to see the Astros or 10 hours to get to Arlington to see the Rangers, plus getting friends to go is like pulling teeth. Now, I'll be able to go to Giants and/or Bay Star games with ease!

And yes, I'm not going to lie, I will take advantage of my location to score anime goods, see idol groups and meet seiyuu. I am a nerd, afterall.

TAmember2003
February 8th, 2013, 01:32
Im about the same... I dont need to be near tokyo and I would prefer to be a few hours away because that city is just SO HUGE. But I wont complain if I get placed somewhere like yokohama or anything, lol... Maybe Chiba... that area looks nice as well.

I really just want to be north of tokyo, almost anywhere is fine, lol... its just gonna be slightly cooler during the summer thats all. (aomori would be epic)

And yes, I'm not going to lie, I will take advantage of my location to score anime goods, see idol groups and meet seiyuu. I am a nerd, afterall.

totally, lol... I'm not TOO huge into anything right now (except I have recently fallen in love with One Piece, big fan of ayumi and AAA), but I think once Im in japan I might find more things I like... I have been told AKB is pretty addicting, although I dont care for them now... lol

Sakurahoshi
February 8th, 2013, 03:29
I'm happy to be near Tokyo because It's a short journey to the airport, so I can make a quick getaway home for the holidays! The main airports in my country only fly to/from Narita. I've only been through Tokyo once or twice. I'd hate to live there because it's so crazy busy but I imagine there's plenty to see and do. I'm looking forward to exploring my prefecture first.

armouredghost
February 8th, 2013, 11:09
[content removed]

Baje
February 9th, 2013, 03:59
Hi everyone! I did my interview in Jamaica last year and like most of you I'm still waiting on my placement. I've been lurking for a while and figured I should finally post. I was deferred in August so I'm beyond impatient at this point.

TAmember2003
February 9th, 2013, 04:01
^ when do you know if you are deferred or not?

Baje
February 9th, 2013, 04:09
They sent an email saying that the September positions were almost full so they offered me a Spring start instead.

stephiiStephii
February 9th, 2013, 04:39
hey Baje are you the go bananas song guy? :)

Baje
February 9th, 2013, 04:40
hey Baje are you the go bananas song guy? :)

No. I'm a girl.

stephiiStephii
February 9th, 2013, 04:42
aw okay my bad.. there was a guy in mine from year

TAmember2003
February 9th, 2013, 04:43
i really hope im not deferred...
i mean does that happen if they dont find you place? Can this happen at the last minute??

Laevatienn
February 9th, 2013, 06:07
i really hope im not deferred...
i mean does that happen if they dont find you place? Can this happen at the last minute??

From what I understand, it can in rare cases. They make an estimate based on how many contracts they keep, lose, and obtain for the season and how many teachers are required for each. Generally it's a constant number. An example would be they grow total positions 5% each section/go over period and need to fill 5% more positions total after counting a 2% loss, 7% gain due to adding and losing contracts (basic way of putting it, numbers are scary predictors). However, there are times when the number doesn't match and people are put as standby people or alternates until something does open up. This, again, is rare and the only big stink was the mishandling of the aftereffects of the 3/11 earthquake.

To answer your question, they should have you as an alternate/standby rather than a defer. Usually. Rare cases have shown people being deferred though.

paromo
February 9th, 2013, 08:20
I got my arrival date last night. March 19th, which means I'll be leaving on March 17th. I'll be put up in a hotel for a week while Interac helps me find an apartment, then start training in Yokohama on the 25th. It's nice to finally have dates and locations. As soon as I recieve my tax return, I'm buying my ticket!

Hang in there TA, I'm sure your placement is around the corner, negative thinking will only make the waiting worse.

TAmember2003
February 9th, 2013, 14:42
Tell me about it! lol, I just dont want to tell everyone that im leaving soon and then finally get an e-mail saying they want to defer me...
Although I did get the 3rd update e-mail, so i think im going no matter what at this point.

Sakurahoshi
February 10th, 2013, 06:08
Just booked my flight. I seem to be one of the late ones in terms of arrival. I don't have to be there until the 25th March.

Blake Islington
February 11th, 2013, 17:42
I got my arrival date last night. March 19th, which means I'll be leaving on March 17th. I'll be put up in a hotel for a week while Interac helps me find an apartment, then start training in Yokohama on the 25th. It's nice to finally have dates and locations. As soon as I recieve my tax return, I'm buying my ticket!

Hang in there TA, I'm sure your placement is around the corner, negative thinking will only make the waiting worse.

Looks like you're in the same place as me! Is your placement in Yokohama city or is that the training location?

Just booked my flight. I seem to be one of the late ones in terms of arrival. I don't have to be there until the 25th March.

Look at it this way, you can work a little bit longer thus allowing you more money for Japan.
Always good.

Konnichiwayuki
February 12th, 2013, 13:06
Hey, Hey. I got the offer for Aisho, Shiga Prefecture Japan. I haven't accepted it yet, still doing research on the place. I wonder if anyone knows anything about it?

Blake Islington
February 12th, 2013, 18:09
Hey, Hey. I got the offer for Aisho, Shiga Prefecture Japan. I haven't accepted it yet, still doing research on the place. I wonder if anyone knows anything about it?

http://photoguide.jp/txt/Aisho-cho,_Shiga

This website looks helpful, a quick run down.

Population 20,000
One train station in town and one JR station outside of town.
Lots of rice paddies, however you're closer to Kyoto than Tokyo.
The only shinkansen line in the prefecture is 31 minutes away by train.
Quite a few festivals

Some information on the prefecture.
http://photoguide.jp/txt/Shiga_Prefecture

Looks like a good place to experience Japan.

papersquares
February 13th, 2013, 07:51
Haven't heard back about my placement yet either. Really hope they call this week!!! I'm not great at being patient.

stephiiStephii
February 15th, 2013, 08:24
I really wish I could get one of these placements that ppl on the FB group are declining ... >.<

TAmember2003
February 15th, 2013, 12:02
I really wish I could get one of these placements that ppl on the FB group are declining ... >.<

Man! I feel the same way!
I finally e-mail Mr. Knight about placements and asked when do people find out when we are supposed to leave if we dont get a placement before hand and he told me that we should expect an update e-mail next week!

Blake Islington
February 15th, 2013, 20:20

One user declined her placement due to it not being 'Osaka'. One of the Interac staff pointed out that a 'Kansai or bust mentality is not a good approach'. Said user then jumps on the defensive and came off as childish and bitter.

It might be worth pointing out that JETs don't get to pick and choose, you're given a placement, if you don't take it then you don't get to apply for JET next year, and you wont go to Japan. In my opinion Interac should follow the JET route. They will always have someone to fill your place.

Talking about the Facebook group, I have noticed some really idiotic questions which should have the Interac staff crying wondering why they got hired.

One gem posted today was -

I bought American Flag sticker as little rewards for my students. But the flags say "made in china" on them , ironic I know, but do you think the children and parents will be ok with this gift? I heard Japanese people do not accept gifts that are made in China.

First, it's not ironic, at all. The Japanese will also still buy items that are made, heaven forbid, in China. Yes the Japanese have a manufacturing industry but it's not the giant it was and most products including Japanese companies make some products in China or Thailand. If the Japanese shunned everything that was made in China they might be stuffed.
Hell, even the PS3 was made in China.

Are you training in Yokohama? I only ask as that's the same date I need to arrive. If so, see you at training.

stephiiStephii
February 15th, 2013, 21:50
Talking about the Facebook group, I have noticed some really idiotic questions which should have the Interac staff crying wondering why they got hired.

I've been thinking this but didn't want to say it... the FB group was annoying the heck out of me some weeks back when all sorts of ridiculous questions were popping up. It's not as bad now though. I think I suggested on a few questions that Google and ALT blogs are great sources, which is true. Sadly I hesitate to direct them to itil because I think they'd annoy me here too, awful as it sounds.

But yeah, it's not that bad now.

Still waiting to hear my arrival date. I'm leaving my job at the end of the month and don't want to come back here lol so hopefully not gonna be deferred. Feeling like I'd buy a ticket and head to Japan either way, at this point.

Looking forward to being in touch with you guys in Japan at some point though :)

Gizmotech
February 16th, 2013, 01:07
Welcome to why many of us reserve our comments on the JET official forums. Dumbs shits abound everywhere.

Blake Islington
February 16th, 2013, 01:59
I think I suggested on a few questions that Google and ALT blogs are great sources, which is true. Sadly I hesitate to direct them to itil because I think they'd annoy me here too, awful as it sounds.

Most blogs have great information. I did two searches for people on the Facebook group who wanted more information about placements when they couldn't be arsed to work it themselves. I normally went with 'placeX alt blog', if that yielded no decent results I opted for 'placeX natural beauty'. Next time I think I will just send this (http://bit.ly/VZ9Fml).

I remembered this classic on the Facebook group, from a guy who would have been placed in Iwake, and turned it down. Some genius came out with this post.

'What is the "Fukushima Daichi dilemma" mentioned by Michael'?

At first I thought they where joking. Turns out they where serious, no one touched it with a barge pole. The only person that responded was an Interac staff member, pointing out its easily the biggest nuclear disaster of our age. In my opinion, anyone applying to work in Japan should know this information, this was world news, not stuck in Japan news.

The person who made such a social screw up has not been offered a place yet but has been given a time to be in Japan, fingers crossed it's not the same training as me.

Boots
February 16th, 2013, 02:14
Hello! I was just wondering how many people haven't been placed yet?

I am currently in a bit of a wirlwind situation...I applied end of Dec thinking I would be going in Aug, it was mentioned that there was places left for March but they would discuss that with me if I got a job. My references took forever to get back to Interac so i assumed I would be going in August. I got an email Wednesday advising my manager had finally done my reference and the UK office would forward my application to Tokyo. And the on THURSDAY I got an email with a offer of employment! I thought it took a couple of weeks? The offer of employment is for this spring, leaving in March. I would love to go in March but would assume most of the placements are already filled and if I agree I will end up an alternate. This isnt ideal as I would have to give 4 weeks notice to my current work and don't know whether I would get that much notice from Interac.

Anyway so, after my lifestory there I was just trying to get a gage of whether most people have already been placed or they are still sorting them out?

Blake Islington
February 16th, 2013, 02:27
Hello! I was just wondering how many people haven't been placed yet?

I am currently in a bit of a wirlwind situation...I applied end of Dec thinking I would be going in Aug, it was mentioned that there was places left for March but they would discuss that with me if I got a job. My references took forever to get back to Interac so i assumed I would be going in August. I got an email Wednesday advising my manager had finally done my reference and the UK office would forward my application to Tokyo. And the on THURSDAY I got an email with a offer of employment! I thought it took a couple of weeks? The offer of employment is for this spring, leaving in March. I would love to go in March but would assume most of the placements are already filled and if I agree I will end up an alternate. This isnt ideal as I would have to give 4 weeks notice to my current work and don't know whether I would get that much notice from Interac.

Anyway so, after my lifestory there I was just trying to get a gage of whether most people have already been placed or they are still sorting them out?

People are still being placed. So I would say yes to Interac. If you get deferred to August it's not a big deal. Just tell your work you're leaving for Japan as soon as Interac give you a landing date. Latest it would be is March 28th so you would still have enough time. Everyone will be given a landing date by next week, according to the folk on the FB group.

paromo
February 16th, 2013, 03:08
Well, finally bought my ticket. I'll be flying into Haneda on the night of the 18th, crash out at a cheap hotel, maybe in Yokohama, then meet up with the folks from Interac the next day, I suppose. I need to get them all my flight/arrival info, see what they say. Has anyone ever flown with Malaysia Airlines, by chance? I got a great deal on my flight (700$) by flying with them out of LA. I would have preferred ANA or JAL, but that was out of my price range.

Oh and Blake, yeah I'll be training in Yokohama, see you there perhaps.

*edit* Flying into Narita, actually. Looks like I'll have to rethink my accommodations for the night of the 18th... Hmm...

papersquares
February 16th, 2013, 04:09
Got my placement. It's Yokohama (which is what I requested) teaching elementary school which is not what I requested, but I don't care it might be fun. I accepted the position already anyway.

Laevatienn
February 16th, 2013, 04:34
Most blogs have great information. I did two searches for people on the Facebook group who wanted more information about placements when they couldn't be arsed to work it themselves. I normally went with 'placeX alt blog', if that yielded no decent results I opted for 'placeX natural beauty'. Next time I think I will just send this (http://bit.ly/VZ9Fml).

I remembered this classic on the Facebook group, from a guy who would have been placed in Iwake, and turned it down. Some genius came out with this post.

'What is the "Fukushima Daichi dilemma" mentioned by Michael'?

At first I thought they where joking. Turns out they where serious, no one touched it with a barge pole. The only person that responded was an Interac staff member, pointing out its easily the biggest nuclear disaster of our age. In my opinion, anyone applying to work in Japan should know this information, this was world news, not stuck in Japan news.

The person who made such a social screw up has not been offered a place yet but has been given a time to be in Japan, fingers crossed it's not the same training as me.

Yeah, sounds about right. People are stupid. I think a lot of people can get through (B.S.) their way through the system just enough to get hired but falter when they realize you can B.S. actually living in another country so they start with the idiotic questions. This isn't even taking into account the people who are technically qualified (*straw man with puffed chest* "I have a 240 hour TESOL. Neener-neener.") but don't really care what country they go to just as long as they get paid or just as long as they can play and do minimal work. A pessimistic view of things but I've found rivers tend to run down more often than up (see what I did there). It's a sad state of affairs but nothing we can do about it. People will apply and then, after being hired, will suddenly realize they know nothing about what they are getting themselves into. Sad indeed. Plus, Facebook itself seems to encourage dumb questions for some reason...not sure why.

zombiekelly
February 16th, 2013, 04:41
I wanted to smack some of the people asking questions that were right in the Interac documents.

gakumonman
February 17th, 2013, 03:21

I just got updated on my position- I'll be almost exclusively junior high. He said I'll only visit an elementary school once a month if that. Hurm. What do junior high kids find interesting? I was going to bring some DVDs, beanie babies, and foreign coins.Most junior high kids really find the end of English class interesting and express it with a resounding "よかった!" while others find how the side of their face feels on their desk interesting and express it with a resounding "zzzzzz"

penguins42
February 18th, 2013, 02:56
Got my placement. It's Yokohama (which is what I requested) teaching elementary school which is not what I requested, but I don't care it might be fun. I accepted the position already anyway.

More for Yokohama! I guess we will see you at training then. :)

Blake Islington
February 18th, 2013, 22:10
More for Yokohama! I guess we will see you at training then. :)

Yey!

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 08:59
Man, i still havnt gotten a placement. I did e-mail Knight to ask what happens if we dont get one and how do we know when to leave for japan and he informed me that their will be an update e-mail this week!
This is for all of us who dont have placements... :*p

zombiekelly
February 19th, 2013, 09:18
No one else on FB has the same city as I do. Plus that one comment about "I didn't know they were placing people there this year" is a little concerning.

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 10:05
where were you placed?
And I wouldnt worry about what people say on the fb page... some of them are... special. :)

zombiekelly
February 19th, 2013, 10:39
Kasumigaura. If you look at the map of Ibaraki, and see that massive lake with a mini-peninsula, I'm right there. Though I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be living in Tsuchiura, since it's driving and there are literally no settlements on google earth's aerial.

stephiiStephii
February 19th, 2013, 10:56
GOT MY PLACEMENT!!! Nishigo village in Fukushima prefecture!!! sending acceptance email and then going to start my research :^_^: w00t!!!

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 11:08
^ congrats!!!
It really bothers me to see people offered a 2ND placement before others get their first! =.=

@zombiekelly (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/member.php/7476-zombiekelly) oh I remember!! thats seems like a nice area!

stephiiStephii
February 19th, 2013, 11:33
me too.. and considering whether to take it or not. I guess the fellow knows what he wants. seems a tad picky though, but I suppose we're not all as desperate to head over.

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 11:38
lol, true that. I just... it gets to me. If you decline once, you should be placed at the bottom of the list.
Im just bitter... lol... I wanna be placed!!

stephiiStephii
February 19th, 2013, 11:57
I agree with you.. Hope you get an awesome placement :)
My village (it really is a village lol) seems very small. Can't find much about it, but at least there's tons of info about Fukushima in general.

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 12:03
i decided to do a little research as well! (mostly weather and maps stuff). But on wiki it said it was on the bullet train line, so thats good news... AND you dont seem to be too far away from kukushima or sendai!

Baje
February 19th, 2013, 12:51
GOT MY PLACEMENT!!! Nishigo village in Fukushima prefecture!!! sending acceptance email and then going to start my research :^_^: w00t!!!

Congrats! I can't believe people are getting second offers and I still haven't heard anything. Hopefully soon.

stephiiStephii
February 19th, 2013, 12:57
Thanks! It seems unfair to me but hopefully you guys hear soon. At least they tell us from the beginning that you may not know anything til about a month before so the timeline so far has been accurate. Just nerve wrecking lol.

TAmember2003
February 19th, 2013, 13:23
tell me about it!
Its almost like I dont have a job till i have that leave date. This is whats killing me!!

zombiekelly
February 19th, 2013, 14:01
Yeah, I too can't believe that one guy got his second offer before you even got your first.

Gizmotech
February 19th, 2013, 14:13
I suspect TAMembers offer was actually a practical joke, the person who gave it is on this site and enjoys just laughing themselves silly at TA's expense.

Yarantoikenbai
February 19th, 2013, 20:39
^ congrats!!!
It really bothers me to see people offered a 2ND placement before others get their first! =.=

@zombiekelly (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/member.php/7476-zombiekelly) oh I remember!! thats seems like a nice area!

I work for Interac and although I don't work in the office, I think I understand why this is happening.

Interac has different branches. Yokohama/Hiroshima/Fukuoka to name a few. These branches need X number of ALT positions filled this year. They say "ok, we'll have these X number of people," and then get to work placing you within the branch. You've already been selected, just not put into a city.

These other people will be being put in whatever's open. There are sometimes weird contracts that noone wants, BoEs that are very slow/fast to confirm contract renewal, or these people are put into another branch placement. So you might wonder why Mr. Dumbass has been offered two placements and you've had none, but it's all to do with branch workings. If your branch's manager (or MC as we call them) is HELLA busy right now sorting this massive placement stuff out, then you'll have to wait a bit longer for the official phone call.

Or so I think. Don't despair; I didn't know my placement until the end of July, and I was due to leave mid-August. It sucks, but as you guys are part of the BIG intake and not the small summer intake, you will get better placements and more options. Good luck with the waiting, and go get your fill of home before this crazy ride sweeps you up ;)

leftbanke7
February 19th, 2013, 21:15
zombiekelly,

I was curious about who might be coming in next year and I saw your post. I just thought I would tell you that (assuming Interac keeps me around for another year), I am also teaching in Kasumigaura (and as you assumed in one of your posts, living in Tsuchiura). If you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to hit me up.

Sakurahoshi
February 20th, 2013, 03:51
Lol I'm starting to put a lot of names to faces with the FB group and people on here! Yarantoikenbai, I remember you from last year's JET application. You were shooting for CIR wern't you? Guess we both jumped on the Interac bandwagon. Hope it's going well for you.

zombiekelly
February 20th, 2013, 08:32
I was curious about who might be coming in next year and I saw your post. I just thought I would tell you that (assuming Interac keeps me around for another year), I am also teaching in Kasumigaura (and as you assumed in one of your posts, living in Tsuchiura). If you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to hit me up.

Weather weather weather. How much snow are we looking at?

leftbanke7
February 20th, 2013, 17:34
Snow: not much. We had one decent sized snow storm this year and a few (<5) tiny storms that dropped a little bit. Definitely nothing worth worrying about though. Driving in it can be a bit interesting not so much due to the weather but rather because of the idiot drivers (Ibaraki drivers are notorious for being some of the worst in Japan).

Summer: hot and humid. We had a couple days near 100 with really high humidity. Expect to drop a decent amount of money on your power bills during the summer.

zombiekelly
February 20th, 2013, 17:40
I see. I'd been to Kanto before in the summer but never in the winter. Should be interesting.

paromo
February 21st, 2013, 04:08
Recieved my COE this morning. As my nearest embassy is 7 hours away, I'll have to mail it in.

The fact that I'm moving to Japan is feeling a bit more real every day. 24 days and counting!

TAmember2003
February 21st, 2013, 04:24
I havnt gotten mine yet!
On the facebook page it was said that we would get an e-mail with a tracking number... I havent even got that yet!

HavingAFit
February 21st, 2013, 11:43
Hey guys,

Haven't gotten my placement yet, my COE (to my knowledge) hasn't been mailed as yet either.

It's frustrating because I am playing with time. I haven't resigned from my job as yet. Which I need to do in order to give them a proper two weeks notice and have some time with my family. But, I am a bit wary. Don't want any surprises and then I don't have a job either way.

notjim
February 21st, 2013, 15:47
... not to be a jerk, but when Interac first hired me they gave me 3 days notice to be in Tokyo.

I turned them down for a different position starting 9 days later. They can be really crazy about that stuff.

HavingAFit
February 21st, 2013, 19:55
oh my goodness...I wouldn't even classify that as a notice

zombiekelly
February 22nd, 2013, 16:15
My CoE is on it's way. :3

For those interested, I got an email with a tracking number (they're using FedEx, I assume that's the same for the rest of the states).

HavingAFit
February 22nd, 2013, 17:24
Wish I could get some news. Watching my email like a hawk.

Baje
February 22nd, 2013, 21:26
Did anyone else get an email with the subject "Placement Information"? I got excited for a minute but it was just a lot of info on being an alternate. Extremely disappointing to say the least.

TAmember2003
February 22nd, 2013, 21:52
I just got the e-mail. Its saying that we can be alts... =.= no better way to tell someone they arent wanted, lol.
But it looks like 5-10% of people that become alts dont get a placement before they leave for japan.... hm. I was worried about this... but I guess it could be cool... I mean, you would be stuck in Tokyo till they found you a place.

MotionBlue
February 23rd, 2013, 01:32
Sorry to hear about the alt thing TA, I've been rooting for you man! On the bright side, you'll hopefully still be able to come and received your placement once you make it to Japan, so there is still hope! Worry not!

TAmember2003
February 23rd, 2013, 02:11
yeah... its slightly disappointing, but at least I have a date to be there... I dont know why Im disappointed... im staying in Tokyo till they find me a place.... most if not all want a city placement and im in THE city until further notice, lol.

zombiekelly
February 23rd, 2013, 06:16
It sucks though that you have to wait for someone to jump ship before you know where you're going. :(

Yarantoikenbai
February 23rd, 2013, 12:51
Alternates are NOT simply "unwanted"!!!!

Basically, contracts are a mess. The board of education (BoE) can take its sweet time telling Interac whether or not they have a contract. For example, my BoE's contract is safe for another 2 years. My job here is safe for another 2 years. However, other contracts may have run out, which means that Interac has to bid for the contract again. This involves saying to the BoE "we can get your ALTs, it'll cost you XXXXXX yen, and we offer this too." The only problem is that other companies can do the same thing. So, in Fukuoka, you have OWLs, Shane English School, Interac, JET and Hart all competing for contracts. The bidding is pretty shady, too, if the company's bid is too expensive, they can keep bidding until the BoE says "that's good!" Even then, the OFFICIAL confirmation of these contracts might not be until the middle of March. It's just as much as a headache for us teachers as it is for the company sales department.

So if you go to Japan as an alternate, it just means that you have a date. You will go for 24 March, and as you plan and prepare, chances are those lazy time-taking BoEs will accept some contracts, and you'll be told "Hey, you're going to _Insert City Here_" before you go. Alternate status is NOT JET alternate. You still go to Japan. You get put up in a flat, get paid, and you'll be kept busy with something while waiting. It just means that you're already IN Japan when the BoEs pull their thumbs out of their asses.

Accept it. Chances are you'll get your proper placement before you even leave; and if you don't, you still get the chance to be in Japan, in Tokyo, with a painfully easy job with decent hours and a cheap apartment. It's win-win.

Edit: @Sakurahoshi: Yep, that was me! I couldn't wait forever for JET, so I jumped on Interac, and I like it. My placement isn't what I wanted, but the placement gods saw fit to mess up my transfer requests, and so here I am for another year. I can't afford to go without work, and I haven't really got a "home" to go back to as my parents are ex-pats, and I don't want to go back to the USA. Can only make the best of it! How's things for your Japan adventures?

TAmember2003
February 23rd, 2013, 14:08
thanks for all the info!!

Baje
February 23rd, 2013, 23:09
Thanks for the info! I'll probably accept.

TAmember2003
February 24th, 2013, 00:30
speaking of accepting it wasnt really clear how... do you just reply back to Knight or someone else?

Baje
February 24th, 2013, 02:36
The email said to reply, which is what I did.

TAmember2003
February 24th, 2013, 03:18
I did too, but I had some questions along with it, so I guess he was confused about that... so I just replied again... waiting for a response about it.. lol

vero
February 25th, 2013, 19:55
Hey everyone! Just came across this forum today and I'm so jealous to hear everyone getting placed and ready to leave next month. I don't start till the fall semester, so that's a bummer. But congrats to you all!

Also, what's this FB group I've been reading about? I've tried searching for one, but nothing??

Sakurahoshi
February 26th, 2013, 02:50
Hey everyone! Just came across this forum today and I'm so jealous to hear everyone getting placed and ready to leave next month. I don't start till the fall semester, so that's a bummer. But congrats to you all!

Also, what's this FB group I've been reading about? I've tried searching for one, but nothing??The facebook group is invitation only. If you get in, they will email you a link and you can request to join.

vero
February 27th, 2013, 18:09
Ohh ok, that makes sense. Kind of a bummer since I wanted to see if anyone else in my group got the job. I got an offer, but since it's for the fall semester they told me I wouldn't receive the official package and everything till May. They asked me if I was willing to go in sooner as an alternate, but besides being able to have time to save funds, I was worried about getting placed in the first job that came around. In terms of the region that you've all requested, how would you say they've taken that into consideration, if at all?

Yarantoikenbai
February 27th, 2013, 23:10
Hi Vero!

I came to Japan in August with Interac.

Personally, I recommend going in sooner as an alternate. Your options are VASTLY greater if you go in April when the schools start. Most contracts are on April to March timetables, so if you go in August, there are very few available contracts.

Due to the above, they have a harder time placing you where you want in autumn. For example, most Yokohama/Chiba area contracts are on an April start, so they're out. August starts are likely JET contracts that Interac have poached, so possibly more rural.

No matter what, you WILL be placed rurally for your first placement. Interac allows transfers, so of course the bigger city spots will usually be filled by current employees who are looking to get out of their rural contracts. Now, this is not true 100% of the time, but often enough that you should just expect it to be this way.

I requested Fukuoka area, preferably a city placement instead of a rural one. I ended in a city but....it's not a city like I'm used to. Japanese "cities" can be extremely small and in very rural, farmland areas. But I asked for a city, and technically, I got what I asked for. I would have preferred a tiny hamlet closer to a BIG city, but there you have it! Every placement has good and bad points, and it is really what you make of it. It's only a year, and that'll go by very fast. If you don't like it, ask for a transfer, go home, or (for those with massive balls) quit and move where you want to be and hope for the best!

zombiekelly
March 2nd, 2013, 18:27
I know they mean well but they need to stop overloading the FB page with their horrible meme attempts.

TAmember2003
March 2nd, 2013, 22:04
lol.
I kinda like the Game of Thrones one... lol

leiferikson
March 2nd, 2013, 22:37
I agree, but the Yakkan Shoumei one is spot on though.

Yarantoikenbai
March 3rd, 2013, 00:37
The Yakkan shomei one is fine, but they constantly misuse them.

I don't want to be THAT asshole that points out that they're using them in the wrong sense...but they are. Bad luck Brian and grumpy cat are especially misused. I want a BLB saying "Tries to be hip by using memes...Gets them wrong."

I'm also fed up with the constant reiteration of questions. "Omg what should I wear?" Scroll down a bit, sweetie, we've had five discussions on this.

Edit because I'm an English teacher and therefore should be able to grammar.

MotionBlue
March 3rd, 2013, 01:14
I originally thought the group was going to be more of a social networking connection to find places to go, things to do, and people to meet, which happens on a rare occasion. However, between the slew of questions posted that can be answered via Google, and the memes, I'm left scratching my head every time I take a look at the page. Also, Yarantoikenbai's line "Edit because I'm an English teacher and therefore should be able to grammar" love it! Lol. Can I use it as a sig? :)

zombiekelly
March 3rd, 2013, 06:37
They should at least check over their grammar tests before they send them out.

TAmember2003
March 3rd, 2013, 13:03
I haven't even looked at what they sent me yet...
I hope there is no dead line... this weekend has been horrible for me....

and the facebook group... man, what can I say? At least I think I know who the cool kids are!
Which by the way!! How many of us are going to be early (IM landing on Thursday!) I want to explore Friday and Saturday! Who is up for it?!

Sakurahoshi
March 3rd, 2013, 18:01
Has anyone tried to do the assessments yet? Are they hard? The deadline for them is the 8th March TAmember2003. There's some multiple choice quiz on schools, and then a grammar test. I'm going to swot up before attempting them I think...

zombiekelly
March 3rd, 2013, 18:04
The grammar test took me about 15 minutes, but some of that was figuring out what the hell I was reading. I haven't taken the other one yet but I'd imagine it's not very hard (especially since you can have the printout on your desk).

rizu_ko
March 4th, 2013, 19:25
Hello everyone! I found this thread browsing the web. I just finished a year working for AEON in Yokohama and am starting with Interac in April, Yokohama BOE JHS. I'll be training in Yokohama as well. Just wanted to say hello. I'm very excited about the job switch.

Blake Islington
March 5th, 2013, 01:45
The grammar test is simple. If you haven't read the Interac welcome documents then read that before attempting the other test.

Hello everyone! I found this thread browsing the web. I just finished a year working for AEON in Yokohama and am starting with Interac in April, Yokohama BOE JHS. I'll be training in Yokohama as well. Just wanted to say hello. I'm very excited about the job switch.

Nice to meet cha, I will also be in Yokohama. Can I ask why you switched? Just the hours, staff or general guff?
It can't be the pay, as far as I'm aware AEON employees are paid more.

Blake Islington
March 5th, 2013, 01:49
Double post.

rizu_ko
March 5th, 2013, 02:08
Nice to meet cha, I will also be in Yokohama. Can I ask why you switched? Just the hours, staff or general guff?
It can't be the pay, as far as I'm aware AEON employees are paid more.

I mainly quit cause of late hours and wanting to take on some part-time work (AEON's contracts don't allow any side stuff). I had an awesome time at my school and was really sad in the end. They treated everyone very well.

I am signed up for the training the week of the 25th but I have zero info about it except for location.

Blake Islington
March 5th, 2013, 18:00
To the few of you who never took the grammar test. From the Interac training website.

As of March 2013, the Grammar Assessment is no longer a part of the Training Department's program. We apologize for any confusion, and deeply appreciate the efforts of those who already completed the assignment.

TAmember2003
March 5th, 2013, 22:46
man, im glad I just now signed in to do it... on the facebook page everyone was freaking out bout it... lol
and now its no longer there... lol

Sakurahoshi
March 6th, 2013, 02:52
I hadn't done it yet. I was studying some grammar book first before attempting it. Oh well.

arosem
March 6th, 2013, 04:55
Love reading what you all have to say! I'll be applying to teach for the 2014 school year. It's a ways away, but everything I've read on here so far has been SO helpful. I can't wait to see how you all enjoy your placements! I'd also be interested in seeing if Interac's monthly budget examples (https://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/index.php/salary) are fairly accurate or not. I keep reading about how the budgeting is too low and they have left out some factors (car insurance fee, etc). Can't wait for more updates!

zombiekelly
March 6th, 2013, 13:10
I hadn't done it yet. I was studying some grammar book first before attempting it. Oh well.

It was clearly written by a non-native speaker. You didn't need to study.

rizu_ko
March 6th, 2013, 15:20
By the way, anyone training in Yokohama, the office is located in a pretty neat area, within walking distance of some decent restaurants and some sights. It's interesting hearing about the hiring process for you guys. I don't really get much stuff from the Japan side of things, and almost never hear from the office.

Sakurahoshi
March 6th, 2013, 16:07
It was clearly written by a non-native speaker. You didn't need to study. I did hear that one of the reasons it was pulled was due to inaccuracies. I know I didn't need to, but I thought refreshing myself on basic grammar principles would be a good idea if I might be teaching aspects of it in the near future.

Blake Islington
March 6th, 2013, 23:33
By the way, anyone training in Yokohama, the office is located in a pretty neat area, within walking distance of some decent restaurants and some sights. It's interesting hearing about the hiring process for you guys. I don't really get much stuff from the Japan side of things, and almost never hear from the office.

Outside the country we don't hear much either! Are Interac putting you up in the same hotel as us, and do they require you move apartment or can you stay where you are?

rizu_ko
March 6th, 2013, 23:59
Outside the country we don't hear much either! Are Interac putting you up in the same hotel as us, and do they require you move apartment or can you stay where you are?

Well, I already have an apartment here, so I'm assuming I will just commute from my house. I don't think they'd want to shell out the cash to put someone in a hotel unless they had to. But I live on the same line as the training center so it will only take me about 15 minutes by train to get there, and they'll reimburse my commute expenses in the first paycheck.

Blake Islington
March 7th, 2013, 00:16
Well, I already have an apartment here, so I'm assuming I will just commute from my house. I don't think they'd want to shell out the cash to put someone in a hotel unless they had to. But I live on the same line as the training center so it will only take me about 15 minutes by train to get there, and they'll reimburse my commute expenses in the first paycheck.

Lucky! I and others placed in Yokohama wont know how far away from the training centre we are until we get an apartment. Our first week in Yokohama is staying in a hotel, apartment hunt and buying core items, followed by training in which we commute from our new apartment. This is quite different from how everyone else is doing it, however I can't complain, as going home each night is going to be great!

rizu_ko
March 7th, 2013, 00:23
Lucky! I and others placed in Yokohama wont know how far away from the training centre we are until we get an apartment. Our first week in Yokohama is staying in a hotel, apartment hunt and buying core items, followed by training in which we commute from our new apartment. This is quite different from how everyone else is doing it, however I can't complain, as going home each night is going to be great!

Well, I unfortunately don't know where my school is yet, so who knows what my work commute is looking like. But yeah, being able to go home after a long day of training is great. When I did AEON training, we were at a training center. My roommates were great, but when I finally got to my new home, it was amazing to finally be alone haha. Well, if you get bored during that week, I'm not working now, and I'd be happy to show you guys around in the evenings. I've been living here over a year now so I know the city pretty well.

Blake Islington
March 7th, 2013, 00:33
Well, I unfortunately don't know where my school is yet, so who knows what my work commute is looking like. But yeah, being able to go home after a long day of training is great. When I did AEON training, we were at a training center. My roommates were great, but when I finally got to my new home, it was amazing to finally be alone haha. Well, if you get bored during that week, I'm not working now, and I'd be happy to show you guys around in the evenings. I've been living here over a year now so I know the city pretty well.

I don't think any of us would be bored, that might be wrong the word. Lost or confused would be a more accurate description!
I might have to take you up on that offer (I'm sure others would as well), always good to have some hands on knowledge of a new area.

rizu_ko
March 7th, 2013, 00:39
I don't think any of us would be bored, that might be wrong the word. Lost or confused would be a more accurate description!
I might have to take you up on that offer (I'm sure others would as well), always good to have some hands on knowledge of a new area.

True. Bored wouldn't be the best word... perhaps not sure what to do first haha.

Tyr
March 8th, 2013, 15:56
Wow, Yokohama placements, and you guys are total newbies without experience?
Really lucked out there.

rizu_ko
March 8th, 2013, 16:04
Really lucked out there.

I was referred directly to Yokohama through a coworker and taught for a year at eikaiwa, so not total newbie here. But either way, the Yokohama BOE is huge.

zombiekelly
March 8th, 2013, 18:37
Does anyone else think the "this is the wrong class" gag in the intro lesson training is a little odd? Surely there are better ways to get them talking...

Blake Islington
March 9th, 2013, 01:37
Really lucked out there.

Yeh, newbie. I do have 3 years professional work experience training users in software and fixing SQL code. I always wondered if it helped my application.

Does anyone else think the "this is the wrong class" gag in the intro lesson training is a little odd? Surely there are better ways to get them talking...

It is a bit naff, but it's a guide only. You can do what you want!

rizu_ko
March 9th, 2013, 11:17

What is this intro lesson training stuff you guys speak of? I finally got my training e-mail and all it consisted of was: a list of stuff to bring, and be prepared for a health exam so don't eat three hours before.

zombiekelly
March 9th, 2013, 11:19
It came in an email, it was a link to an online course system.

rizu_ko
March 9th, 2013, 22:22
It came in an email, it was a link to an online course system.

Nice! Maybe I will e-mail them about it. :D

Baje
March 11th, 2013, 00:11
Has anyone had any problems applying for their visa?

I ask because the nearest embassy is in Trinidad and they seem to be a mess.

arosem
March 11th, 2013, 12:38
Just curious as to how many of you have heard anything about your placements branch? It's been said a bit on here that Yokohama is a great branch. Even though it is quite big, I am trying to get further away from Tokyo, but I'm told the further away I go the worse the branches are. Really looking forward to what you all have to say once you're over there for a bit! : )

zombiekelly
March 11th, 2013, 14:50
I haven't heard anything from my branch (Tokyo 1) in terms of updates, but when I did ask a question, I got a reply fairly quickly. The people in Yokohama seem to be hearing about their apartments before training, while most of us have to wait until we get there.

leftbanke7
March 11th, 2013, 21:27
Tokyo Branch 1 is pretty good about getting with people if they have questions. I have been really happy working with them this year. They just recently got fully staffed up. Having said that, if there is any delay in returning messages to you, not only are they dealing with all the incoming people, they also have to deal with the transfer requests, hustling BoEs for contracts and a number of us needing to get our work visas renewed.

Incidentally zombiekelly, I can't speak with 100% certainty but I am pretty sure I know where you will be living and what school you will be teaching at. If you so desire, drop me a private message and I can give you the info on that and the contact information of the ALT you will (most likely) be replacing.

TAmember2003
March 12th, 2013, 05:49
I just got an update e-mail about what to do when we arrive! YES! its almost time people.
im still kinda weirded out about this first lesson thing... -.- a part of me just wants to get this over with, lol.

zombiekelly
March 15th, 2013, 10:14
These new training videos..... :120:

TAmember2003
March 15th, 2013, 10:46
tell me about it... if they think im gonna be THAT stupid... lol...
I need more money. LOL

zombiekelly
March 15th, 2013, 10:51
My degree is in psychology, so this is about the 90th time I've heard some of these.

rizu_ko
March 16th, 2013, 12:00
I have a feeling we're gonna be doing things that feel stupid during training... oh well.

zombiekelly
March 18th, 2013, 09:23
Have you seen the new videos?

Whatever blend he's using, I want some.

MotionBlue
March 18th, 2013, 10:26
Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it. I think I seen this guy in the pictures of the training in Narita last year. If he's there again this year, I am deathly afraid for my sanity.

rizu_ko
March 18th, 2013, 23:18
hey good luck to you guys flying out this week and next. be safe :D

leiferikson
March 19th, 2013, 01:58
How communicative have your branches been with you? The Nagoya branch is as silent as anything. :S

rizu_ko
March 19th, 2013, 10:37
How communicative have your branches been with you? The Nagoya branch is as silent as anything. :S

If I email them about something, they will reply. But don't really say much else except if I need to know something, i.e. what to bring with me to training. Currently waiting to hear about which school I'm teaching at.

leiferikson
March 20th, 2013, 02:41
Thanks for answering. :) I was just curious because it seems like a number of people on Facebook have had a lot of emails from their branches. But I guess it isn't as odd as I thought it was though for branches to be kind of quiet.

Konnichiwayuki
March 20th, 2013, 20:44
Anybody else here with the Hamamatsu branch :D

Sakurahoshi
March 21st, 2013, 06:46
I'm with the Hamamatsu branch. They emailed me a while ago with apartment details, and I asked them a question about training and the address for my apartment. I got a reply both times really quickly. I wish I knew the names of my schools or how many I'm at.

Konnichiwayuki
March 21st, 2013, 07:59
Ah, lucky. I haven't heard anything about apartments. The last call I got from them was about a placement change. I wonder if they can still change placements this late in the game...Anywho, I prolly won't learn about my apartment till training, and I know there's not a Leopalace where I am going :o

zombiekelly
March 21st, 2013, 11:23
The kiss ups are really in force today in that fb group.