PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Winter/Spring 2013

Pages : [1] 2

TAmember2003
November 15th, 2012, 00:34
Just wanted to go ahead and make this thread so all of us new people had a chance to share where we are going to be placed and what not!

So far I think there about 5 or 6 of us? (At least from post)... hopefully there will be more in the coming months!

I requested ( I think) to be North of Tokyo (lots of ares to place me in, lol) but I would love to be in the Mito area.

stephiiStephii
November 15th, 2012, 00:43
i didn't specify an area at all, just that i absolutely want to teach elementary because i have experience with that group and love them! coming in March 2013 (which you know but figured i'd add to your thread haha), can't wait to hear my placement >.<

leiferikson
November 15th, 2012, 02:05
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a while. I got the job offer back in June for March 2013. (I requested the Kansai area, but we'll see what happens!) I was initially kind of sad about not being able to go over in the summer, but it worked out for the best since I've had extra time to save up and study Japanese. :^_^:

TAmember2003
November 15th, 2012, 02:29
That's good news!! I hope everyone gets there placements! I wonder if we will all be in the Tokyo area for training...
Does anyome remember how long that takes?

stephiiStephii
November 15th, 2012, 04:38
Interac's website gives a pretty good timeline in terms of pre-departure, training and post-training. Should check it out..I'd love for training to be in Tokyo but not too fussy, I'll visit eventually :^_^:

TAmember2003
November 15th, 2012, 05:13
Yeah im not too picky either, but I think it would be cool to bum around tokyo with people for a few days after training hours! (that is if we are not tired!)

Ill have to look up that info you were talking about... I wanna say it was 2 weeks, but I cant remember at the moment!

Konnichiwayuki
November 15th, 2012, 09:50
I'm not super picky either...but I requested the Kansai area, cause I have a friend in that area. It would be cool to bum around Tokyo for a few days after training:kaos_cactus_panm::kaos_kms_m-happy:. If we're not too tired...but we'll prolly all be super excited.

TAmember2003
November 15th, 2012, 10:19
^ thats the way I am!

Even if im tired I am always up for a good adventure and going to a new country and being new in a new city is like, the definition of that, lol.

mirrormirror
November 15th, 2012, 13:10
I'm hoping we have some free time in Tokyo since there's actually a musical showing that I want to see but it sounds like its 12 hour training days (the new guys doing the training are apparently doing it like its teaching boot camp) and then they kick us onto trains to head out to our placements. But August will be there before we know it and we'll have tons of time to visit then!

MotionBlue
November 16th, 2012, 01:54
I'm also hoping we'll get some free time to roam the streets of Tokyo after training hours. I can't wait to check out the bar scene lol. In terms of placement, I didn't really put a preference but hope I'll land somewhere in the middle or south because I can't deal with the cold....

TAmember2003
November 16th, 2012, 01:57
well i do believe there are two training areas... Osaka and Tokyo...
I think it depends on where you are placed... me wanting to be in the Mito area Im thinking they train me in the tokyo area (if I get what I want, lol)

10 hour days seems rough, lol.

akanemukade
November 17th, 2012, 07:50

Sakurahoshi
November 17th, 2012, 22:33
I didn't put any location/age preferences as I wanted to appear flexible. I hope to be placed either somewhere south, or central. I'm not sure what age group I prefer as I can think of good/bad things about all of them.

I'm looking forward to the orientation but I've heard that the training is now a lot tougher than in previous years.

ihatefall
November 21st, 2012, 06:48
I requested ( I think) to be North of Tokyo (lots of ares to place me in, lol) but I would love to be in the Mito area.

Awesome! I was a JET in Ryugasaki, Ibaraki from 06-07 and then I had to move to another contracting organization because they went to Interac. Its a great little place if you get it with great schools. I was close to the train station, and only about an hour from Shibuya.

Why Mito? That is also a great place.

TAmember2003
November 21st, 2012, 06:55
I only said Mito because its the captial of Ibaraki Prefecture (and would be happy just baout anywhere there)... I know some people placed in that prefecture and they all seem to like it... the winters dont seem too rough either... but have snow...
Also its not too far away from tokyo, lol... all the pictures I have seen seem really nice...

ihatefall
November 21st, 2012, 08:46
I loved it but I was also about an hour to an hour and a half south of Mito.
I went to Tokyo just about every weekend. The Mito crew made it down alot too but not as much. Mito is a great town with ALOT to offer.

TAmember2003
November 21st, 2012, 09:02
^ thats good. ^_^
I hope I get placed in or around the area.

jennpooh829
December 5th, 2012, 02:22
mina konnichiwa!!

hellooooooooo, i was also hired in June and wasn`t able to go over in september because of all the placements being full. I will also be heading over to Japan like everyone else who is posting in march 2013! I actually just returned from a three month vacation from Osaka. I have requested a kansai area placement.

Currently, I`m just waiting on my Visa to be accepted. I think it takes about 8 to 10 weeks? so i should hear back from Interac the beginning of january! Also, i have filled out the online profile they sent so that school boards can look at your profile. How is everyone else coming along???

I really hope my training will be either in Osaka or Tokyo!! I' am really looking forward to meeting everyone~~~

TAmember2003
December 5th, 2012, 03:08
^ hello!!!
I finally got everything filled out last weekend as well, and now just wanting on time... lol
this is gonna be a long (but quick) few months.

stephiiStephii
December 5th, 2012, 03:49
>.< ahhh i still haven't received the online resume link :(

TAmember2003
December 5th, 2012, 05:00
really? I would of thought you had this done already!

jennpooh829
December 5th, 2012, 05:23
^ hello!!!
I finally got everything filled out last weekend as well, and now just wanting on time... lol
this is gonna be a long (but quick) few months.

Yeah hopefully a few QUICK months!!!
I seriously cannot wait to go to Japan again!
While I was there I got to experience so many different
things! If anyone has any questions about being a
foreginer overseas, let me know. I would be more than
happy to share my experiences!

stephiiStephii
December 5th, 2012, 23:04
finally got my online resume link this morning and read through the instructions.. it looks annoying :| did you guys just take a pic yourself and upload? or did you go professional?

TAmember2003
December 5th, 2012, 23:23
^ i just used the same picture that I used for my interac application

stephiiStephii
December 5th, 2012, 23:35
ah, tenks TA!

jennpooh829
December 6th, 2012, 02:25
I also just used my picture that I sent to interac!

The photo where we have to dress "professional"

TAmember2003
December 8th, 2012, 12:00
okay, so I just wanna add that its December... lol... how close are we now?!
Ah. I wonder when will we start hearing about placements?

MotionBlue
December 10th, 2012, 09:29
I know what you mean TA, I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Although I have a feeling that we won't hear about placement until mid-late January, based on some of the old threads in this forum, so we will have to hang tight until then.

TAmember2003
December 10th, 2012, 11:26
^ yeah... =.= sadness really... I just want to go. lol.. chill for a month or two before I get there, lol.

Konnichiwayuki
December 10th, 2012, 11:30
Yeah, mid to late January or later :kaos_kms_m-fu:. I'm being impatient too. I just wanna go, too.

akanemukade
December 10th, 2012, 22:51

jennpooh829
December 12th, 2012, 22:19
Hello everyone again!!

Just curious if anyone else has recieved the Japanese
Exam that interac send out!? If you have put that you know
Some basic Japanese etc they send you an exam to
test and see what level of Japanese you have.

Iadran
December 13th, 2012, 01:25
Yeah, I just got the Japanese exam e-mail this morning! I'm excited to see what my level turns out to be. Even though it's not like the JLPT where you either pass or fail, I'll probably sulk if/when I see my level isn't as high as I hope, haha :)

They say that the level doesn't really matter, but I'd assume it has some effect on at least which schools we're assigned..? I'm not too worried, just super curious how that process works.

MotionBlue
December 13th, 2012, 09:00
I got the e-mail this morning too. Has anyone tried the sample questions? I took the sample quiz and it doesn't seem to be that bad, although in the reading and grammar section there were several Kanji I couldn't read. It definitely ramps up the difficulty with each question though.

I'll probably take it over the weekend when my head is cleared up from the work week, even though there's technically no pressure. My guess is, the higher the level the more likely you'll be place where a lot of translation or communication with native speakers is preferred. That's immersion heaven! I'm jealous.....

winsome_mushroom
December 13th, 2012, 09:32
Hello everyone! A friend of mine that was given a job offer to Interac kept going on about a forum and I wondered if it was this one!

So, this is my first time posting. I applied for Interac back in October and I went the Dec 1st DC seminar (any of you one of the people I interviewed with?:-D).

I'm waiting to hear if I get a job offer or not! So hopefully, I didn't do too badly at the seminar and I will be hearing about it soon!

Nice to meet everyone and good luck and congrats to everyone going off in March!

TAmember2003
December 13th, 2012, 09:43
^ good luck!

I havent gotten an e-mail about the japanese stuff yet, but if I remember correctly my interviewer asked me about it, and I told him I wasnt interested... cant really speak a word of japanese... lol, sometimes I wonder how I got this job, lol.

cosmiccircus
December 13th, 2012, 14:39
^ Only people that listed above basic level Japanese on their application receive the e-mail about taking the test, so you're ok :)

It seems like a lot of people here requested Kansai region (including me, haha) Hopefully one or two of us will end up together! Either way I'm really excited to get my placement in Jan/Feb :D

TAmember2003
December 13th, 2012, 22:55
^ good luck! I know I want to be north of Tokyo.

I kinda have a theory that I really have no basis's on, but it seems that last recruits (for the fall of 2012) a ton of them where placed in the Kansai region, I wonder if that means a majority of people will be placed somewhere else? If the recruiting is on cycles that is?

stephiiStephii
December 13th, 2012, 23:45
If teachers leave Kansai they'll have to replace them, so I don't think they can do it like that. They would have to watch how many ppl leave Japan or move from the area.

So I'm officially unemployed as of next week Friday >.< so really counting down to March!

MotionBlue
December 15th, 2012, 08:07
Evening folks!

So I just got :samurai: by the J-CAT , but I'm actually happy with the results, 113 in the pre-intermediate range. I've only started learning Japanese in February, so I'm optimistic improvement will come in due time. Catch you guys in the next update, hopefully it'll be about placement! :)

Sakurahoshi
December 16th, 2012, 18:43
I was hoping that I could get the financial bonus for doing well on the test but after reading the instructions, I don't stand a chance! I heard somewhere that if you are JLPT4 standard, you would get the bonus, and I recon I'm around that level. But the instructions say that you are only eligible for the bonus if you achieve a score of Intermediate high, which is JLPT 2! Such a shame :(. Oh well, I'm going to keep revising and then take the test next Thursday. I've never taken a test in Japanese before and done nothing but on and off self study for 2 years, so it would be interesting to find out my level.

Anyone else taken the test yet? It says the test is used for placement so hopefully if I score badly, that should encourage them to place me in a city with English speakers! I don't want a mega rural place where I'm the only English speaker for miles around...

gakumonman
December 16th, 2012, 23:36
I don't have experience with Interac, but I have gone through the placement procedure with other companies. There is a possibility that you wont have a school until after training, the first time I worked as an ALT I didnt get a school until the last day of training. Right now they are probably in the process of bidding for contracts, which can be a process that can go well into February, so dont be disappointed if you dont get placement until after you even get to Japan

notjim
December 17th, 2012, 08:43
Anyone else taken the test yet? It says the test is used for placement so hopefully if I score badly, that should encourage them to place me in a city with English speakers! I don't want a mega rural place where I'm the only English speaker for miles around...

Trust me, a lack of Japanese will not stop them from placing you in a rural location. I spoke no Japanese at all when I showed up, and they placed me in a very rural location. It was a month before I even ran into another English speaker that wasn't a teacher at my schools. You'll have to talk with them about a placement if you don't want an isolated rural one.

leiferikson
December 20th, 2012, 22:14
Check your emails, everyone. Interac sent out another update.

Spoiler Alert: For those who have gotten all their documents in for their CoE application, they will lodge those applications with the Immigration Bureau in late December. Placement information won't be available until February.

stephiiStephii
December 20th, 2012, 22:55
Saw that email this morning.. super excited! Thanks for the update leiferikson!

jennpooh829
December 21st, 2012, 00:47
I finished the test a couple days ago and I was shocked to see that they placed me in the pre intermediate section! Anyways, the email this morning was exciting! Especially the part about placements starting in February. But one thing about the email I thought was alittle confusing was that they are going to the immigration office soon. So to everyone who has already sent in their documents in October etc, does this mean our paper work is just getting filed so it will be 8 to 10 weeks from then??

What do you guys think??

stephiiStephii
December 21st, 2012, 00:56
I think they're going towards the end of December because, just like everywhere else, public (and less so private sector) tend to slow wayyy down between Christmas and New Year's. It's going to take a while process everybody's stuff and then contact all of us (in diff countries) re following through with visas, so the earlier the better.

Plus the COE is only valid for 3 months so Januaryish gives enough time between then and March for official contract signing once we're in Japan.

So year basically the sooner they start the whole process, the better I think. This is all speculation btw lol.

TAmember2003
December 21st, 2012, 01:31
Ah man! I havent gotten an email yet! lol... I feel left out... :*(

gakumonman
December 21st, 2012, 03:46
I finished the test a couple days ago and I was shocked to see that they placed me in the pre intermediate section! Anyways, the email this morning was exciting! Especially the part about placements starting in February. But one thing about the email I thought was alittle confusing was that they are going to the immigration office soon. So to everyone who has already sent in their documents in October etc, does this mean our paper work is just getting filed so it will be 8 to 10 weeks from then??

What do you guys think??Got the email this morning as well, they probably wait until the end of the hiring period for those that just squeaked in from the late seminars, myself included, to take all the applications en masse. The trip from Fujimi to Shinagawa isn't a long one but I bet they have to wait in line just like everyone else, so better to do them all at once.

Just from experience I anticipate getting a prefectural placement by February (I chose the Kanto area so I'm hoping for rural Saitama or even Gunma) but since they worded it "tenative", I bet we don't get the city/school placement until even later. Just a hunch from questions I asked the recruiter at the seminar.

Sakurahoshi
December 21st, 2012, 07:14
I just completed the test and scored 78 (basic). Bit disappointed to be honest. The main issue was the timing. I'd barely read the question and possible answers and the question would skip on so I ended up missing loads out. I got so frustrated I just started guessing! Personally I wouldn't class myself as basic, more like pre-intermediate. Oh well, better luck next time.

I've received that email as well, and I'm also puzzled as to why they're only just lodging the COE applications when I sent my paperwork off months ago.

TAmember2003
December 21st, 2012, 09:46
I still don't have that email!
But if its about the COE stuff I'm sure they waited to do it just when they got everyone's so they didn't have multiply files going back and forth

MotionBlue
December 21st, 2012, 12:51
I believe they are lodging the CoE applications now because they usually send paperwork in batches for what I've gathered. It's like Stephii said, the CoE is valid for three months so it makes sense technically that they would submit the paperwork in now so itll be ready for January, but the wait....oh the wait for placement in February :(!

cosmiccircus
December 21st, 2012, 15:28
I got that e-mail today as well, yay :)

Maaaaan the wait until February is gonna be crazy~ I'm kinda worried about waiting too long to buy my plane ticket too... I don't want to wait until the last minute when prices shoot up ;A;

Oh, and I was talking to one of my friends who got hired at Interac last year, and apparently they didn't even have to take a physical Japanese test... only a pretty easy phone interview. I guess Interac is raising the bar on who they give that extra 5,000yen to now!

oshejay
December 22nd, 2012, 07:19
Hey everyone, just got my Offer of Employment email and i'm super excited. So far 8/10 interviewees from Jamaica received offers..... so i guess i'll be here more often counting down to our arrival in Japan.

stephiiStephii
December 22nd, 2012, 07:33
Congrats oshejay!! Looking forward to meeting you at some point next year then :)

TAmember2003
December 22nd, 2012, 09:26
Congrats!!! I'm still waiting for that email about the leave date... Can't believe I haven't gotten it yet!

jennpooh829
December 28th, 2012, 03:36
congrats!!

cannot wait until february~~~

TAmember2003
December 28th, 2012, 03:52
why do people keep saying February?
My recruiter told us March....

Bted01
December 28th, 2012, 05:49
Hey guys!

Just saw this forum online and thought it would be interesting. I got my offer from interac a couple of months back, but had to defer my start to August as I need a bit more time to save up for the starting costs.

I personally chose the kanto region, specifically either chiba or yokohama, as I want to be in an urban area and the recruiter at my seminar said I would be more likely put somewhere like chiba or yokohama hence my choice. That being said I've always been fascinated by hiroshima :)

I also chose to work with junior/high school students.

I just wanted to see what choices other people have made and whether or not they had heard anything about their placements yet (and whether or not they matched their wishes closely)

Look forward to getting to know everyone here over the coming months and really looking forward to going to Japan next year ! :D

Dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!!

penguins42
December 28th, 2012, 12:54
why do people keep saying February?
My recruiter told us March....
We keep talking about February because there was an email about a week ago (12/20 for me) with the subject "Interac Co.,Ltd.-UPDATE Holidays notification" that said, "We will soon begin to tentatively place those who have submitted the required documents and will be calling you with tentative assignments information as they come available in February." No one is leaving until March to my knowledge (well, any alternates still around?) but we want to know where we'll be. :)

Hey guys!
Just saw this forum online and thought it would be interesting. I got my offer from interac a couple of months back, but had to defer my start to August as I need a bit more time to save up for the starting costs.

Welcome and congrats! I also deferred, from this past August until March, although for different reasons. Even when you know that you've got the job, it's exciting to get the new offer email. :) I did not state any preferences about location or level (just send me!) but I'm interested too in seeing how much other's preferences match up to what happens.

TAmember2003
December 28th, 2012, 13:43
We keep talking about February because there was an email about a week ago (12/20 for me) with the subject "Interac Co.,Ltd.-UPDATE Holidays notification" that said, "We will soon begin to tentatively place those who have submitted the required documents and will be calling you with tentative assignments information as they come available in February." No one is leaving until March to my knowledge (well, any alternates still around?) but we want to know where we'll be. :)
I never got that email!!
So it only says that the placements start in February... But we still won't arrive till march??

gakumonman
December 28th, 2012, 13:57
I never got that email!!
So it only says that the placements start in February... But we still won't arrive till march??Have you contacted them? They say in every email to contact them if you haven't received something.

Yes, placements are sent out after they match you to a BoE in February; when they complete the contract bidding an or replace an ALT for an existing contract. You won't arrive until March for training and then start school in early April.

"Placement" doesn't imply the physical act of sending you somewhere it just means where you will more than likely be "placed" as an ALT.

TAmember2003
December 28th, 2012, 14:06
Have you contacted them? They say in every email to contact them if you haven't received something.

Yes, placements are sent out after they match you to a BoE in February; when they complete the contract bidding an or replace an ALT for an existing contract. You won't arrive until March for training and then start school in early April.

"Placement" doesn't imply the physical act of sending you somewhere it just means where you will more than likely be "placed" as an ALT.

nope, I have e-mailed them about the e-mail....
Should I? I wouldnt even know what to say.
So, um... i know a few people that got this e-mail and I was just wondering where mine was?
lol...

gakumonman
December 28th, 2012, 14:17
nope, I have e-mailed them about the e-mail....
Should I? I wouldnt even know what to say.
So, um... i know a few people that got this e-mail and I was just wondering where mine was?
lol...or something in a similar, but professional manner. They've got a lot of work to do this time of year, it was probably an oversight, don't feel awkward about contacting them. I never got a seminar invite, only a reminder from the recruiter and went into the seminar completely unprepared, still got the job, but felt like an ass afterward because I didn't speak up.

TAmember2003
December 28th, 2012, 14:21
I went ahead and e-mailed them... lol
I just said I have been talking to some fellow recruits and we were talking about an email that went around... and then I threw in that I changed my number, lol..., got to make it important you know, lol.

The lady ive been talking to seems nice enough, I just feel like I e-mail her too much. LOL

edit:
man I got a fast reply... lol... they said they did send me one, I even went through my spam but i didnt see it...
Oh well, she sent me another one. It looks like I wouldnt have missed much if i didnt get it... they were just informing us that they sent off our paperwork.

whew. glad that's over.

zombiekelly
December 28th, 2012, 16:20
Don't worry about it. When I first got invited to a seminar, I never got the email about how to prepare for it. I ended up calling Utah back and asking for it. :3

I'm in the waiting phase as well. I had about a day to get stuff together for mail, and that included getting new photos (my head was too big in the originals).

penguins42
December 28th, 2012, 17:39
man I got a fast reply... lol... they said they did send me one, I even went through my spam but i didnt see it...

Just a quick thing - are you using a college or company email for your contact? If you are, you may want to contact your IT. A lot of large entities like that have an external spam filter in addition to the "junk mail" on your computer, and it's not always obvious when emails get caught in the external filter. (I work for ___ university IT and just had this issue last week with one of my users.)

If you're on Gmail/yahoo/Cox/etc you can ignore that. Still, it's good that you contacted Interac - and at least it was on a relatively unimportant email like this one! :)

Yarantoikenbai
December 29th, 2012, 00:10
I personally chose the kanto region, specifically either chiba or yokohama, as I want to be in an urban area and the recruiter at my seminar said I would be more likely put somewhere like chiba or yokohama hence my choice. That being said I've always been fascinated by hiroshima :)

Hi there! I currently work for Interac in Shimane prefecture.

Chances are you won't get what you want, keep your hopes reaaaallly low. Everyone wants to work around Tokyo or Osaka, and everyone does the Tokyo/Osaka ring dance when requesting placements. Of course, you are all starting in April, so there are usually more placements available, so who knows! The Hiroshima BoE also requires that you have at least 6 months experience in teaching, or a TEFL certification, so keep that in mind if you haven't!

My requests were Fukuoka, Kobe, and Awaji Island. I requested a non-driving urban placement teaching JHS or HS students. I can tell you that almost all of my preferences were NOT met. I drive, I teach ES and JHS students (different schools each day) and I live in a rural city of about 190,000 people spread over a lot of farmland. I'm also on the Sea of Japan side of Japan, which is very isolated from the rest of the country; it's a 3 hour train ride through the mountains to any areas of significant activity. Technically, it IS a city, but I wouldn't class it a hub of activity compared to other cities that I know.

I don't want to come off all doom and gloom, but please keep your hopes low. There's a lot of competition between applicants and other ALT companies for placements in the big areas, and the schools/boards of eduction are well aware of this. Kanagawa and Yokohama specifically are really strict. They'll drop you like a lead balloon if they want to, because there's a queue of gaijin itching to get a position by Tokyo.

The countryside isn't that bad, either, once you get used to it. Life goes on, your weekend options are just more limited. There are great opportunities for some truly impressive nature adventures, hikes, sightseeing trips, etc. If you put in the effort, you'll meet some really awesome people who are fascinated by foreigners, and the kids are great. Being so isolated, and having such small class sizes means that they're the best kind of kids - respectful, curious and genuinely interested in you and your weird green eyes and dyed hair.

TAmember2003
December 31st, 2012, 14:29
great info!!
I requested the hitachi area or just north or tokyo, lol.. somewhere where it snows.. so with my luck im getting placed near fukuoka, lol.

I wouldnt mind being placed somewhere in the middle of nowhere as long as im close enough to a city hub where I could do a weekend trip or something, lol.

jennpooh829
January 4th, 2013, 12:48
I am getting so impatient lol... I'm sure everyone else is feeling the same as me! As soon as I find out my placement I will post on here. I am hoping to be in the first batch of placements since I have been waiting patiently since June 2012.. Also they have has all of my paper work since October. I sent it to them while I was in Osaka!

TAmember2003
January 4th, 2013, 15:24
I want to know as well! February cannot come soon enough.

TAmember2003
January 9th, 2013, 10:31
I got a new update via e-mail! YAY! One step closer...
It looks like we will find out our placement info and all the other stuff the last week of January, if I understood the email correctly!!

stephiiStephii
January 9th, 2013, 10:48
wow that was really quick lol.. got mine also. our Japanese embassy is literally a 5 min walk from where I work so no timing issue there thankfully. probably even see a few of the ppl from the seminar.

one step closer :)

oshejay
January 9th, 2013, 11:02
my update stated early to late February...... can't wait to go.

cosmiccircus
January 9th, 2013, 11:14
I got the email as well :) I thought we were all gonna have to wait until February to find out where we're going, but my email said I'd find out in the last week of January as well!! Maybe we've been split into different group depending on when we were hired...? Anyways, I'm sooo excited~~

jennpooh829
January 9th, 2013, 11:41
Yayyyyy I also recieved the same email as everyone! I am happy to hear that our placements will begin the last week of January! They also mentioned that they think my COE should arrive feb 19th.

You guys are lucky that your consulate is so close! I live in nova scotia Canada and my closest consulate/embassy is in Montreal ; __ ;

So I will have to fed ex everything as soon as I recieve it from interac!

So exciting~~

Plz keep us updated if anyone gets a placement offer because then we will know that it has begun!!

MotionBlue
January 9th, 2013, 11:53
Hey guys, Happy New Year from New York!

I also, got the e-mail as well, but I don't think we will get "exact" placement details from the update of the last week of January. The e-mail states that we will receive a general introduction e-mail from the placement section that will review some of the points introduced during the seminar including driving, housing, insurance, etc. but I may be wrong, that's just my interpretation of it. Anywho, the certificates are lodged and I'm just as excited, so close yet so far! :)

zombiekelly
January 9th, 2013, 11:57
I wonder if I'll get mine quickly... I wasn't given an offer until three weeks ago, and with the holiday, they just got my papers on Monday.

TAmember2003
January 9th, 2013, 11:58
I really hope I dont have to drive when i get there... Im like a car killer... lol... (ive gone through three in the past 2 months) I dont need another one... plus driving in another country is... going to be taxing to say the less...

I might have to drive to get my CoE in... I think the closet one to me is in Atlanta... (like a 5 hour drive) blah.

zombiekelly
January 9th, 2013, 12:01
Does the Atlanta office have a mailing procedure? Pennsylvanians have to use the New York one, and since that's way too long a drive I get to express mail it.

TAmember2003
January 9th, 2013, 12:08
ill have to double check! I jsut did a quick glance through the first time since I really dont have all the info yet, lol...

MotionBlue
January 9th, 2013, 12:40
@TA: Wow dude 3 cars in 2 months? O_O, lol j/k, but I know what you mean, if I can avoid it I would but you'll never know what you end up with so you gotta be ready to take it with a grain of salt, and a shot of tequila!

TAmember2003
January 9th, 2013, 12:49
Yeppers! lol... 3 cars, granted, the last one wasnt mine, but I was in the passenger seat when the entire engine fell out... lol.

Also, I really dont mind where im placed either, but I would prefer north of tokyo! (I would love the Mito or Hitachi area.

thesecretgaijin
January 9th, 2013, 13:01
I've been a lurker here for a bit now but finally wanted to jump in as I got the email as well and I'll be heading over in March!

TAmember2003
January 9th, 2013, 13:04
welcome! and congrats on the job!
I wonder how many of us are going over in march?

Ini
January 9th, 2013, 14:18
Yeppers! lol... 3 cars, granted, the last one wasnt mine, but I was in the passenger seat when the entire engine fell out... lol.

Also, I really dont mind where im placed either, but I would prefer north of tokyo! (I would love the Mito or Hitachi area.

hitachi is the worst place in the world to try and drive around. it makes the center of tokyo look like a ghost town. if you end up there stick to your bicycle.

Sakurahoshi
January 10th, 2013, 04:32
I just got the email update, very excited, can't wait to find out where I will be placed. In the mean time I've been mad shopping for new work clothes/suits and trying my hand at lesson planning and learning about teaching! I got a book for Christmas called 'Teaching English Grammar' and I've been trying to convert each topic into a lesson plan with ideas from the internet. Pretty difficult when I've no idea what age/level I'll be teaching and don't have much experience. How much experience at teaching does everyone have?

Tyr
January 10th, 2013, 09:56
ALTs generally don:t teach grammar.
Even with those that do its usually secondary to teaching OC

TAmember2003
January 10th, 2013, 11:09
i really wish they would give some lesson plans or something that we can pratice with till the time came... lol

Ini
January 10th, 2013, 11:13
there used to be all the lesson plans etc on the interac website if you had a username and password.

cosmiccircus
January 10th, 2013, 12:04
Just got my call from Nakada-san for the Japanese phone interview....... and I totally killed it! :D

Hello extra 5,000yen <3

stephiiStephii
January 10th, 2013, 12:04
Just got my call from Nakada-san for the Japanese phone interview....... and I totally killed it! :D

Hello extra 5,000yen <3

awesome!! congrats!!

TAmember2003
January 10th, 2013, 12:20
I wonder if you can take this test when you renew your contract?

cosmiccircus
January 10th, 2013, 20:40
Thanks Stephii!

I'm not sure when you would actually retake it, but it seems like it would definitely be possible to take the test when once Japanese has gotten better, especially if you're applying for a different location than your original contract :)

Sakurahoshi
January 11th, 2013, 16:05
ALTs generally don:t teach grammar.
Even with those that do its usually secondary to teaching OC

Sure hope that's true!

zombiekelly
January 11th, 2013, 16:06
Just got an invite to the facebook group, but no emails yet about the resume or test...

cosmiccircus
January 11th, 2013, 18:06
I joined the Facebook group as well :)

@Kelly, are you the same Kelly that just asked me if I build my own computers in the comments or is that someone else? lol

zombiekelly
January 11th, 2013, 18:24
Yeah, that's me. XD

TAmember2003
January 12th, 2013, 01:52
i got the e-mail as well...
Im thinking of joining but Im gonna have to make an account for it, lol...

yorunokissaten
January 15th, 2013, 02:34
Well I definitely got the e-mail about the Facebook group and joined it. I didn't receive the e-mail that gave the update about when placements will be announced, though, and I'm wondering if this is a mistake or if I just wasn't supposed to be receive it yet and it's all going according to plan. I didn't see anything in the FB group that satisfied my curiosity about this, but did anyone else? Also haven't received resume or Japanese test e-mails. All of this could simply be because I was part of the very last group of hires for this past season, though.

I'll probably just go ahead and ask all this on the FB group soon, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was already talked about it and I just completely missed it...

zombiekelly
January 15th, 2013, 05:26
I'm the same as you concerning emails and such, but I think it's because we were toward the end.

TAmember2003
January 15th, 2013, 07:04
i didnt get a certain e-mail last month that everyone else got and I just e-mail them saying I didn't get it!
They sent me the e-mail so if your not sure, just e-mail them!

zombiekelly
January 15th, 2013, 15:21
Okay, I got my email about the CoE and to expect hearing from placement near February. No resume email yet, though.

TAmember2003
January 16th, 2013, 05:09
thats good...
Ah... so in the next two weeks we should know more info!
this is getting so long... lol... im ready to leave. lol =)

yorunokissaten
January 16th, 2013, 07:14
Yes, I received the e-mail as well, so I'm definitely feeling a lot better hehe. Still no online resume for me either but that isn't nearly as worrisome, but if I don't receive it relatively soon I will send an e-mail since I don't feel quite as annoying asking about that one.

zombiekelly
January 16th, 2013, 12:22
I got both resume and JCAT emails today, so you should be getting them soon. I'd hold off asking for a few more days, to avoid sounding impatient. :)

yorunokissaten
January 16th, 2013, 13:09
I actually just received them too. So, problem solved!

paromo
January 17th, 2013, 07:34
Hey all, I posted in the last thread and was wondering why it had died abruptly... now I know, new thread.

Anyhow, I'm in the same boat as everyone else, playing the waiting game. My first request was to be placed in Shikoku. I can't imagine it's at the top of anybody's lists, it being somewhat isolated from the rest of Japan, but I really love it there. I'm not a big city person, and although Tokyo is awesome, I have no desire to be near the city, so my other choices are just as isolated and rural as Shikoku. A bit different from everyone else, but that's just how I roll.

Took the JCAT and was 15 points shy of being eligible for the bonus. Bummer, but oh well.

I don't do Facebook so I'm not part of the group and can't ask there but I was wondering if anyone had a ballpark date of arrival/departure to Japan? I'm assuming from what I've read that we would be arriving around the 20th of March? So would that mean we'd depart around the 17th or 18th? My current employer needs to know when I'm leaving, so I'm just trying to get an estimated date.

Thanks to anyone who can help, hope to meet some of you all at orientation!

MotionBlue
January 17th, 2013, 09:06
Paromo: I'm in the same boat as you in terms of letting my current employer know about my future intentions. I know its not much but from what I've gathered, we won't have departure details until a month before at the earliest which is cutting it rather close. With wishful thinking, we may just have the heads up in time to submit an ample notice. However, it looks like Interac is working diligently to get everyone setup on time.

I'm part of the FB group and I even read that some people started getting their placements already, so that gives me hope that we will get the information in a timely manner. For now, best bet is to ballpark around March 18th forward. Last year's departure date was on March 19th if that helps.

paromo
January 17th, 2013, 10:32
Motion Blue: Thanks yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be the 18th, seeing as the last two years have all had departure days on the third Monday of March (2011: March 19th, 2010: March 21st), beginning orientation sometime around Wednesday.

I certainly would not take my word for it by any means, but if the past is any indication, March 18th is the third Monday in March, which would probably put orientation on the 20th, for Tokyo anyway.

TAmember2003
January 17th, 2013, 10:55
Well, I dont think it would be March 20th since that is a national holiday... (unless they dont worry about that at the office?)
I was thinking the week after?

Also, did everyone get the TB testing e-mail...
Now im all worried that im gonna get TB, lol.

Iadran
January 17th, 2013, 13:22
Heyy guys! I did actually receive a placement call this week. I really hate to be -that- person but I requested a new choice. I thought the chances of this happening would be super low because I'm okay with driving, rural or urban placement, number of assigned schools, etc. I just don't feel comfortable being placed in Tohoku whatsoever (I actually requested anything in the Chuubu region). That was the only thing that could possibly hold me back from accepting, and of course it happened. The prefecture they wanted me in was definitely affected a great deal, and I'd love to visit and volunteer at some point, but living there for a whole year doesn't seem appealing. Job stability would be a worry as well. Feeling super shallow and like the worst person on the planet at the moment :/ A little disappointed because I'd be perfectly fine with the prefectures other people mentioned in the FB group, like Mie or Hyogo. And I definitely feel like I screwed myself because I probably won't get another placement anytime soon haha.. I'm in the back of the line behind all you guys! ;) Good luck everyone!

TAmember2003
January 17th, 2013, 13:37
oh, do they call you about placement, I thought it was e-mail?

Iadran
January 17th, 2013, 13:45
I received a call later at night, because the Tokyo office makes the calls :) I actually was at work and didn't pick up so he sent me an e-mail as well. But he did want to talk on the phone so we talked yesterday. I was also under the impression that they tell you the prefecture, city or town, branch, and number and kinds of schools. He only gave me the prefecture, told me the bigger city's branch would be in charge because they handle HS contracts but didn't give me any super solid information.

TAmember2003
January 17th, 2013, 13:51
^ cool, so your getting to go to a high school. Coolness...
I really really want to get my phone call/e-mail from them soon!

TAmember2003
January 17th, 2013, 14:02
oh, also, i would love to be in Tohoku! Its in the north, which is what I requested!
lol.. maybe ill get you handme downs. lol

zombiekelly
January 17th, 2013, 14:53
Oh, I'm dying to quit my job. I work in a convenience store, where my brain literally wastes away by the hour amongst drunk customers and squabbling coworkers who argue that the coffee creamer isn't full enough.

Now im all worried that im gonna get TB, lol.

I know, right? We go through all this and then risk not being 'healthy'.

Sakurahoshi
January 17th, 2013, 16:40
Don't worry Ladran. I'm sure you're not the first or last to turn a placement down. I would be really nervous about that area too, and I'm not sure I'd accept a Fukushima placement. Yes I want to be flexible and I want to go to Japan but we still have to think about what's best for us if we're going to stick out the year.

Ini
January 17th, 2013, 16:46
What's wrong with Fukushima?

penguins42
January 17th, 2013, 16:53
Heyy guys! I did actually receive a placement call this week. I really hate to be -that- person but I requested a new choice.

I'm of course super jealous that you've gotten a call. :)

But being serious....while I think we all have to let go of our comfort zone somewhat, if you're really not going to be comfortable there then you made the right choice. I think a lot of us have some line we can't cross - a driving placement in Hokkaido/similar weather may be mine. (I'd have to think long and hard if I could go from the desert to driving in snow and ice a large percentage of the year, and having so little sun in the winter in Hokkaido.)

Did they say anything when you turned it down?

zombiekelly
January 17th, 2013, 17:11
I said on my app I'd be pretty open, but I don't want to go any further north than where I am now (on the same parallel as Akita).

Bted01
January 17th, 2013, 21:30
Hi guys!!

I know this might be a tad unrelated to recent posts, but I just wanted to see what people are doing regarding teaching/lesson plans. Are people taking their own lesson plans with them to Japan? (If so does anyone know a good site to find some because I am freaking out a bit here) or are you just winging it until you get to Japan and the Interac training sessions?

Many thanks in advance guys, Looking forward to Japan in August, should be a blast!!

stephiiStephii
January 17th, 2013, 22:36
guys am I the only one who feels like the Interac fb group is being bombarded with a lot of stuff that can be Googled first? ..such a pet peeve of mine lol.

*sigh* my seminar was back in May and still no placement call :( I def think I'd accept anywhere right now lol

TAmember2003
January 17th, 2013, 22:53
^ its a nice little way to have everything in one place...
Im so confused about the power plugs, lol... everything I have is two prong so im guessing ill be fine?
Or do you think I should get a converter for the power option?

stephiiStephii
January 17th, 2013, 23:41
yah I guess.. Won't complain hehe

Actually found this article about plugs and stuff some time back. Super helpful cus I'm useless with this stuff lol. Just scroll to the bottom for the table that'll answer your questions and pics :D

The Ultimate Electricity Guide for World Travelers | The Roaming Boomers (http://www.theroamingboomers.com/the-ultimate-electricity-guide-for-world-travelers)

stephiiStephii
January 17th, 2013, 23:41
yah I guess.. Won't complain hehe

Actually found this article about plugs and stuff some time back. Super helpful cus I'm useless with this stuff lol. Just scroll to the bottom for the table that'll answer your questions and pics :D

The Ultimate Electricity Guide for World Travelers | The Roaming Boomers (http://www.theroamingboomers.com/the-ultimate-electricity-guide-for-world-travelers)

penguins42
January 18th, 2013, 00:42
That's a better site than most I'd found - I appreciate the labeled pictures of the outlet type. I have seen some contradictory information about whether or not polarized outlets (1 prong larger than the other) exist in Japan.

I liked one of the ideas from the FB group - get a cheap travel adapter (if necessary) to start with and once there, replace the power cord with a Japanese one. The only one or two things I'm taking that need power (laptop, etc) have power bricks so I could switch out the cord to the brick with something like this on amazon.co.jp (http://www.amazon.co.jp/BUFFALO-%E9%9B%BB%E6%BA%90%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB-3%E3%83%94%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BD%E3%82%B1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-2%E3%83%94%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B0-BSACC0620BK/dp/B0042D7WNY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358378854&sr=8-5) Although then the trick is to figure out how you use the grounding wire thing that I'm seeing on these cables...

The FB page is kind of overwhelming, with some weird things too. But I'm with you Stephii on having waited since May, and I know I've been killing time by doing way too much research on some things. :)

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 00:47
Yeah, that fb page is a lot... Lol, and thanks for the webpage steni!!

stephiiStephii
January 18th, 2013, 00:53
haha yeah I've been doing so much reading online bug not knowing where I'm going is killing me, esp after waiting so long!

I've also found contradicting info where plugs are concerned so was actually planning to get a power cord before leaving.. But might just get the travel adapter til I move into the apt and see what outlet is there

Glad it helped :) !!

zombiekelly
January 18th, 2013, 04:28
The dorm I was in had mostly 2 prong polarized plugs, but there was a single three prong plug in the common room. For US I'd just get one of those 50 cent adapters since you don't need a converter.

Iadran
January 18th, 2013, 07:53
Did they say anything when you turned it down?

The guy just replied to my email with a short, basic "we understand your reasons for declining and we'll continue looking for another placement for you." I still feel like an idiot for declining and it made me rethink everything, but I'm pretty sure others have requested new placements for even more picky reasons? But I do feel terrible, especially when you guys have been waiting since May.

I would love to recommend that contract for you if I could, TAmember! :(

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 08:00
lol, thats cool...
what were the reason you turned it down? Just the location...
Was their driving involved?

thats my big worry... I could totally be put just about ANYWHERE, i just dont want to drive.

Iadran
January 18th, 2013, 08:22
The guy did say that most likely the position would involve driving, but I love to drive so that didn't affect my decision. I can imagine driving on the opposite side of the road and other cultural driving differences will take time to adjust to.. but it definitely would not be a concern of mine if they want me to drive 2-3 hours to commute, haha :)

I turned it down because I know the specific prefecture is still recovering from major damage and would prefer to be in an area with a more stable living situation (local economy, etc.) No place is perfect or completely safe, but it's definitely the last place I'd want to live in Japan and I was kind of shocked at how specific my bad luck was, haha.

Ini
January 18th, 2013, 09:21
Were you told a specific town? anywhere not directly on the coast is fine. Fukushima and Miyagi are big freaking prefectures

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 10:12
has anyone thought about the whole gift thing?
I was just thinking about bringing those individual lindt chocolates and passing those out.

Tyr
January 18th, 2013, 10:49
Despite there being some towns frequently appearing on the news that are still very messed up most of Tohoku is business as usual.
Miyagi is one of the better placements you can get what with Sendai.

They have lindt in Japan. Thats not very special. But inidivudally wrapped stuff is the way to go. When one of the teachers at my school went to the US he came back with a big box of chocolates that said America on them and had pictures of the statue of liberty and an eagle and all that crap. Just go to a gift shop and find something like that. Or even better something which is a proper local speciality.

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 14:58
^ thanks.

just want to complain for a quick second!

So has anyone been watching the yen to dollar conversion...
I am not happy... -.-
When I got the job it was around 77 yen to the dollar... today it has gotten to 90 yen to the dollar... all that crap adds up.
I need to send money home to pay school loans... (if I did my math right since October 2012 to 2013 ive lost almost 300.00 in a year because of sending money home... blah. AND thats if it stays the same and doesnt go up... ) of course wanting it to go down... that would be nice.

zombiekelly
January 18th, 2013, 15:04
It's nice now since we'll be going over and need yen, but it sucks for sending money home.

And I agree with whoever said the FB group is getting cluttered. Some of these posts make me think, "did you even read the FAQ before you signed up?"

Edit: 118 on my JCAT. Rats. If only I had some WD-40 for my vocabulary...

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 22:17
Yeah, forgot to add that to my little rant... Lol more money in Japan, less to send back. :(

stephiiStephii
January 18th, 2013, 22:23
haha well it's near 1:1 with the Jamaican dollar so it's a decent deal for me xD

TAmember2003
January 18th, 2013, 23:05
Lol... lucky! :)

armouredghost
January 18th, 2013, 23:20
I was wondering how people are handling thei privacy in regards to this FB group, I have lots of really positive pictures of me in my old jobs on FB but also lots of crazy ones. I havent joined a group in a while, can you block them from readily accessing your stuff? They keep emailing me asking me to join (4 emails) I feel like they are waiting for me to join.

penguins42
January 19th, 2013, 01:45
On FB you can mess around with privacy controls. On the "crazy" pictures, you can un-tag yourself (if it's someone else's picture) or set the picture to not be public (if it's yours). I have my timeline set to be friends only, so anyone I haven't specifically added can't see much, and the Interac group is closed so people that aren't in it aren't going to see what you've been doing/saying there.

If you want to get super-detailed, you can also create custom friend lists, so that as you start to add Interac FB people, you can set things to not show to their list and hide it from them.

jennpooh829
January 19th, 2013, 04:05
wowwwwwwwwwwww you guys already recieved your placements!! super jealous! I also noticed that people were talking about their placements on the FB page!

Can i ask around what time did they call?? There is a 13 hour time difference between my city and Japan. What is the time difference for you guys and around what time did they call??

thanksssssssssssssssss~~~~

Iadran
January 19th, 2013, 07:52
Can i ask around what time did they call?? There is a 13 hour time difference between my city and Japan. What is the time difference for you guys and around what time did they call??

I got a call around 9PM for me, which was 11AM in Tokyo.

zombiekelly
January 19th, 2013, 14:03
I actually told them when I emailed my results when the best times to call would be. I'm already on Tokyo time because of my crummy job.

MotionBlue
January 21st, 2013, 08:30
Hi guys!!

I know this might be a tad unrelated to recent posts, but I just wanted to see what people are doing regarding teaching/lesson plans. Are people taking their own lesson plans with them to Japan? (If so does anyone know a good site to find some because I am freaking out a bit here) or are you just winging it until you get to Japan and the Interac training sessions?

Many thanks in advance guys, Looking forward to Japan in August, should be a blast!!

Hey there, sorry I'm a little late as I meant to reply sooner. I took a TESOL course back in the fall, and have a couple of links I wouldn't mind sharing as they helped me out with thinking about warm-up activities and lesson planning. I'm definitely taking the few lesson plans I created and using them as a model for my future students and will regularly refer to the sites I used, but then again it all depends on what the JTE's want us to do. Worse case scenario, Google is our safety net lol.

Here are the links, hope it helps!
http://www.eslflow.com
Developing Teachers.com (http://www.developingteachers.com)
EFL Activities for Kids, ESL Printables, Worksheets, Games, Puzzles, for Preschool, Primary English Learners (http://www.english-4kids.com/)
English Language (ESL) Learning Online - UsingEnglish.com (http://www.usingenglish.com/)

armouredghost
January 21st, 2013, 09:32
[content removed] :)

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 13:07
hey everyone!! i got a call for my placement today but i was not home. So i told him to call back and he should be calling me anytime now!!

keep you posted!

TAmember2003
January 21st, 2013, 13:14
^ AH! coolness!!
I cant wait for mine, lol... ive been sitten by the phone all weekend...
lol

zombiekelly
January 21st, 2013, 13:34
I'm off tomorrow, but of course they won't call then. :p It's all good though because my job is without managerial staff at the moment and there's no one to yell at me if I take an extra break.

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 13:36
got it! now just have to make decisions....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm~

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 13:39
their offer to me is Shima, Mie. It sounds very charming to me but the only downside is that my boyfriend lives and studied in Osaka... and the traveling time for me to Osaka to see him would be 3 hours. so many decisions...

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2013, 13:52
their offer to me is Shima, Mie. It sounds very charming to me but the only downside is that my boyfriend lives and studied in Osaka... and the traveling time for me to Osaka to see him would be 3 hours. so many decisions...

Not necessarily a bad place to start though. I mean, do your first year there then get a transfer to Osaka afterwards (which I understand is a lot easier than just trying to get big city first). I don't think you'd be particularly isolated down there either.

Shima - Mie Guidebook (http://www.miejets.org/gb/index.php?title=Shima)

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 14:04
i never expected to be placed in Osaka, if i did it would have been a miracle! actually the city i was offered sounds reallly nice and is off the coast like the my home city but i am just worried about tsunamis etc.. typical things.. i was really hoping for a place closer to Osaka though. Like a two hour traveling distance every weekend would be much better then 3!

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2013, 14:20
i never expected to be placed in Osaka, if i did it would have been a miracle! actually the city i was offered sounds reallly nice and is off the coast like the my home city but i am just worried about tsunamis etc.. typical things.. i was really hoping for a place closer to Osaka though. Like a two hour traveling distance every weekend would be much better then 3!

Worried about Tsunamis? Meh.

You know why they call things acts of god... because it really doesn't matter in the end. Shima is at a point in Japan where if something WERE to hit it, it would take out a rather large chunk of the Japanese island, which really doesn't matter where you are on the south side. Now, flooding and torrential rains, those are things to be semi-concerned about, but they are all more than manageable.

Also, your boy friend might actually APPRECIATE being able to get away from Osaka to somewhere rather relaxing that isn't in town. I've met very few Japanese people who really "enjoy" the big city life, unless they are rich or just really young.

Two vs three hours is honestly irrelevant. Bring a book and read while catching the first train out and the last train back. As for being closer to Osaka, from the looks of the travel network, you are either in Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe, or you aren't. IE: You're either within the kansai plain, which means one of the three big cities, or you're outside it, meaning 2 hour transit at least.

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 14:29
i like your mind set!!! thank you for the advice!!!!!!! i really appreciate it.

:)

TAmember2003
January 21st, 2013, 14:38
so many people getting placements!
Shima, Mie sounds like a nice place!

jennpooh829
January 21st, 2013, 14:42
so many people getting placements!
Shima, Mie sounds like a nice place!

yeah it does!! post when you know your placement!

TAmember2003
January 21st, 2013, 14:43
will do!
Im hopping to hear from this week!
Someone in my interview group got a phone call today! So im hoping Im soon!

zombiekelly
January 21st, 2013, 14:45
I wish I knew how many from my group got in. I was too worn out to ask people for contact info, and I haven't seen anyone in the FB group yet.

TAmember2003
January 21st, 2013, 14:47
yeah, i only got contact info from one person. But she had i think 2 others... i believe 4 of us (at least) made it from our interview.

MotionBlue
January 21st, 2013, 14:58
Hey guys! I got placement info not too long ago as well. The proposed location is Hitachinaka in Ibaraki Prefecture. I'm still doing research in the area mostly because its coastal and with the proximity to Fukushima I'm not too sure how the area has been affected in terms of radiation levels, but so far I'm inclining towards accepting it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ini
January 21st, 2013, 15:04
I can tell you now theres no more background radiation in hitachinaka as there is where you are living now.

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2013, 15:09
Hey guys! I got placement info not too long ago as well. The proposed location is Hitachinaka in Ibaraki Prefecture. I'm still doing research in the area mostly because its coastal and with the proximity to Fukushima I'm not too sure how the area has been affected in terms of radiation levels, but so far I'm inclining towards accepting it. I'll keep you guys posted.

You're on the wrong side of the mountain to worry.

Japan Radiation Map (http://jciv.iidj.net/map/)
新・全国の放射能情報一覧 (http://new.atmc.jp/) (click on ibaraki 茨城)

I have a friend who lives about an hour north of there along the coast in Iwaki. That half side of the mountain is okay, the wind forced things out to sea.

Nothing to worry about, just don't eat the fish (and even then, blinky was kinda cool).

MotionBlue
January 21st, 2013, 15:18
Well I do live in NYC and this place is getting more polluted by the minute j/k but your responses certainly provide me with peace of mind, thank you guys for the responses :)

zombiekelly
January 21st, 2013, 15:19
That's one of the prefectures I requested. You bum. :lol:

TAmember2003
January 21st, 2013, 15:23
that was my first thought too!
I keep saying the Mito area, lol.

MotionBlue
January 21st, 2013, 15:25
^_^; I guess that's a sign I should take the placement then eh? Here's to hoping you guys get placed near me then :). I could definitely use the company since I don't know of anyone in the area yet.

zombiekelly
January 21st, 2013, 15:26
Ibaraki wasn't my first choice though. That'd be Chiba.

Sakurahoshi
January 21st, 2013, 16:19
Wow, dead jealous to see so many get their placements already. I didn't think anyone was going to find out anything until at least Feb. Wonder how long it will be for the Brits? Hopefully soon!

Going back to lesson planning, I've found that there are lots of materials on the internet for the practice and production side of the lesson, but not much in the way of presentation. That's the hardest bit: introducing the new topic in a way that the kids understand it and can use it. Has anyone come across a good website with full lesson plans containing all these aspects, plus concept checking etc?

Konnichiwayuki
January 21st, 2013, 23:27
Totally jealous of people that already got their placements. I wasn't expecting anyone to know until at least February. I have a feeling I won't get mine till later xD. But congrats to all that got their placements already.

winsome_mushroom
January 22nd, 2013, 05:14
Hello everyone.

Finally I have some time to post in these forums again! I'm in the same boat as all of you waiting for placements. I'm jealous of those that have gotten their placements already. I requested Hyogo, Kanagawa, and Nagoya. I really want Hyogo, but I will gladly take anything currently. I'm just getting nervous of when I will be going over. I keep checking plane fares and doing a little impatient dance. Did you guys get your placements after your COE arrived in Tokyo?

zombiekelly - Were you in the DC group?

zombiekelly
January 22nd, 2013, 05:33
Yeah I was the one with the Doraemon lesson.

winsome_mushroom
January 22nd, 2013, 05:35
Cool! I'm the only other female that was there. I'm glad to see you got accepted! I was wondering who else got in.

zombiekelly
January 22nd, 2013, 05:38
Great! Your presentation was really good, I was hoping you'd get an offer.

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 06:16
quick question!
How many people on here are at the facebook group too?

MotionBlue
January 22nd, 2013, 06:33
I'm in the FB group. Btw, I decided to accept the offer for the Ibaraki placement :).

winsome_mushroom
January 22nd, 2013, 07:00
Great! Your presentation was really good, I was hoping you'd get an offer.

Thank you very much! I thought your presentation was the best, however. Hopefully we will meet up at the orientation.

winsome_mushroom
January 22nd, 2013, 07:02
I'm also in the FB group.

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 07:43
I'm in the FB group. Btw, I decided to accept the offer for the Ibaraki placement :).

CONGRATS!!! (but I secretly hate you for taking my spot, lol =p)

I hope I get placed in that area as well!

cosmiccircus
January 22nd, 2013, 09:36
I posted on the FB group a while ago, but I totally forgot to post here XD I got my placement for Kasai-shi, Hyogo and after a lot of research and thinking and over-thinking, I'm really happy with my placement! Although I'm not excited about buying my plane ticket, lol. I hope you guys hear something soon!

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 09:43
thats seems like a great location! congrats.
although I still havent gotten one... :*(
Im still looking for sometime this week! (hopefully)

MotionBlue
January 22nd, 2013, 10:26
Thanks TA lol. So far I haven't heard of any other ALT's being placed there so I hope to have some neighboring ALT's in the area, crossing my fingers you make it here!

Grats cosmic!

jennpooh829
January 22nd, 2013, 11:56
I am also in the FB group!

I just found out who the other 3 ALT's were in my city: Shima, Mie!

^^

leiferikson
January 22nd, 2013, 13:03
Thank you for posting those ESL links, MotionBlue.

I got the call from Tokyo earlier and was placed in Nagoya City. I'm so excited. :^_^:

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 13:06
Nagoya City! That was my second choice! hope you have lots of fun!

leiferikson
January 22nd, 2013, 13:08
^ Thanks TA! I hope you hear about your placement soon.

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 13:09
me too! this is driving me crazy! lol... all these people are getting placements, I want mine too! lol.

jennpooh829
January 22nd, 2013, 13:34
Apparently they save the best for last!!!!!!! So envious of anyone placed in a big city!!

TAmember2003
January 22nd, 2013, 13:37
^ lets hope thats true!! lol

Sakurahoshi
January 22nd, 2013, 16:27
I'm also in the Facebook group. I haven't identified anyone from my own seminar yet, although there were only 3 of us!

Nagoya city sounds awesome. I'm also hoping for a city placement. I keep waiting for my phone to ring, but it aint happening yet!

DandeLion
January 25th, 2013, 10:27
I posted on the FB group a while ago, but I totally forgot to post here XD I got my placement for Kasai-shi, Hyogo and after a lot of research and thinking and over-thinking, I'm really happy with my placement! Although I'm not excited about buying my plane ticket, lol. I hope you guys hear something soon!

Welcome to Kansai!!

jennpooh829
January 25th, 2013, 13:55
Did anyone else hear about their placements?

TAmember2003
January 27th, 2013, 11:00
not yet!!
On the facebook page more and more are getting placements...
still totally feeling left out, LOL.

Konnichiwayuki
January 27th, 2013, 11:08
I haven't heard about mine yet, either. I wonder if all the people that are getting their placements had their paperwork in really early? I'm still excited. I'll be even more excited when I know my placement. Can't wait!

TAmember2003
January 27th, 2013, 11:14
I think it goes by that second application we filled out? They sent that to the schools and they decide off that... almost like a second interview, but we are not there to sell ourselves. lol.
At least i think that's what its like.

sigh, tomorrow (for me) starts the week again... SO maybe ill hear some news then..

EDIT:
by the way Konnichiwayuki, I see that you have a youtube page, prepared to be bombarded, lol.
=)

zombiekelly
January 27th, 2013, 11:22
I'm assuming I'll be one of the last told, since I just sent in the JP test and resume this week. Sucks to be recruited in December I guess.

Konnichiwayuki
January 27th, 2013, 11:25
Yay! Someone to watch my youtube channel, besides my family and friends. *feels loved* :kaos_chirol_gomen:

TAmember2003
January 27th, 2013, 11:35
lol.. you just need more videos!
By the by, I commented on your first video! hehe, so proud of myself, lol.

Konnichiwayuki
January 27th, 2013, 12:00
I do need more videos. Wrote back. 2 more months! The next one I do will be about my placement, once I receive it...*hint hint, nudge nudge Interac*

zombiekelly
January 29th, 2013, 13:54
Everyone in the FB group seems to be getting Ibaraki... >.>

Gizmotech
January 29th, 2013, 13:55
Possible Interac picked up a contract in Ibaraki and needs to fill spots.

TAmember2003
January 29th, 2013, 13:55
i know!! thats where i want to go and the way things are look up, 2 things can happen.
They get all filled up or im there.. lol.

zombiekelly
January 29th, 2013, 14:25
With my luck I'll get stuck in Shimotsuma. ;)

Ini
January 29th, 2013, 14:33
lots of people probably left because of all the earthquakes

winsome_mushroom
January 31st, 2013, 03:48
Congrats to everyone that have gotten their placements. I'm still waiting on mine :(

(Lucky whomever got Nagoya. That was my second choice.)

Now, I feel like this is going to be a very dumb question. We are being reimbursed for the hotel we are staying at during training right?

stephiiStephii
January 31st, 2013, 03:52
Now, I feel like this is going to be a very dumb question. We are being reimbursed for the hotel we are staying at during training right?

I think this in the FAQs or at least should have been addressed during seminar.. yes we get reimbursed but usually not immediately, from what I've read. People have said it came along with their first pay cheque around 2 months after they started working.

winsome_mushroom
January 31st, 2013, 04:00
I think this in the FAQs or at least should have been addressed during seminar.. yes we get reimbursed but usually not immediately, from what I've read. People have said it came along with their first pay cheque around 2 months after they started working.

I thought so! I have my seminar notes at home and un-accessible and it was a question nagging at the back of my head.

I think I'm getting the general idea that yea nothing is reimbursed immediately which kinda sucks, but hey better than not getting anything all!

TAmember2003
January 31st, 2013, 04:13
I want my placement too!! I havent heard anything!! :*(

I thought the whole hotel thing was being paid for by the company? Not a reimbursement thing.
Ohwell, I guess thats more money going down the drain till you get it back on the paycheck, which kinda sucks because dont they take taxes out of that?

winsome_mushroom
January 31st, 2013, 04:16
I want my placement too!! I havent heard anything!! :*(

I thought the whole hotel thing was being paid for by the company? Not a reimbursement thing.
Ohwell, I guess thats more money going down the drain till you get it back on the paycheck, which kinda sucks because dont they take taxes out of that?

I'm planning on going out a little earlier just so I don't have jet lag kicking my butt during training. So yeah gonna suck but hey at least we get some of it back?

TAmember2003
January 31st, 2013, 04:20
i was thinking about arriving like 2 days early or something depending on where the training is going to be! If its in Tokyo I want to explore!

paromo
January 31st, 2013, 05:49
I'm not sure if there is an orientation in Tokyo, I'm pretty sure the orientation is in the city of Narita itself, which is about 40 miles east of Tokyo. Getting to Tokyo costs about 32 dollars on the Narita Express, the fastest and most convenient way into the city.

If you do get to Japan early and want to explore Tokyo before orientation, expect to be jet-lagged and out of it for at least one whole day, and ready to drop some cash for accomodations and what not.

If you can afford it, I say definitely do it, Tokyo is an amazing city with tons to see, but plan it out thoroughly. If it's your first time in the city, you're alone, jet-lagged and you don't know much Japanese, you're going to be overwhelmed and need more than two days.

Geez, reading back on that is kind of a downer, which was not my intention at all, sorry if it comes across that way, haha. Just throwing in my two cents.

mirrormirror
January 31st, 2013, 06:30
According the information I just got it looks like if you're training with the Tokyo branches they pay for the hotel and you will be assigned a roommate. Training is also going to be in Narita near the hotel. This could be different though if you're a member of a different branch.

winsome_mushroom
January 31st, 2013, 06:49
I'm not sure if there is an orientation in Tokyo, I'm pretty sure the orientation is in the city of Narita itself, which is about 40 miles east of Tokyo. Getting to Tokyo costs about 32 dollars on the Narita Express, the fastest and most convenient way into the city.

If you do get to Japan early and want to explore Tokyo before orientation, expect to be jet-lagged and out of it for at least one whole day, and ready to drop some cash for accomodations and what not.

If you can afford it, I say definitely do it, Tokyo is an amazing city with tons to see, but plan it out thoroughly. If it's your first time in the city, you're alone, jet-lagged and you don't know much Japanese, you're going to be overwhelmed and need more than two days.

Geez, reading back on that is kind of a downer, which was not my intention at all, sorry if it comes across that way, haha. Just throwing in my two cents.

No you are pretty accurate. If I remember correctly the last time I went to and from Narita airport I used a line that wasn't the Narita express. I think it was the Keisei Main Line. I remember it being less than 2000 yen. It was about little more than an hour ride. I have used the Narita express before too which was also about an hour.

There are some hostels you could stay in the Tokyo area cheaply. Last time I stayed at one for about 2,900 yen a night. However if you are only arriving a day before hand, this might not be feasible. I plan to arrive two or three days before (and stay with a friend). Jet lag kicks my butt for about a day and half.

paromo
January 31st, 2013, 07:08
@winsome_mushroom

Thanks, yeah, I was trying to be as truthful as possible without knocking the wind out of the sails of people who haven't been to Japan yet. It's a nice idea, but a bit impractical unfortunately.

------------------

It sure ain't Tokyo, but every city has things to see and do, including Narita. Exploring smaller cities in Japan is something I personally love doing, espcially as an amateur photographer. There's a lot more character in smaller cities, and they're fun to get lost in. Here are a few interesting things in and around Narita.

Narita Travel Guide (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html)

jennpooh829
January 31st, 2013, 10:49
Does anyone here have trainignia Nagoya?? That is where my training is in march 25th

leiferikson
January 31st, 2013, 12:20
jenn - I'm training in Nagoya as well. Have you sorted out your plane ticket yet?

jennpooh829
January 31st, 2013, 13:28
Yup! I am already booked to land in chubu international airport on march 25th at 7:00pm.

I know they wanted us to land earlier but the earliest I could fly in was 5:00pm and it was 350$ extra.. Also the connection in Tokyo was only an hour and last time I did that when I was visiting... It was WAY too hectic for me.

Have you booked your ticket yet???

zombiekelly
January 31st, 2013, 17:39
Crap. Stupid Penn State doesn't list exact dates of graduation on either the diploma or the transcript. Anyone else have this problem?

leiferikson
January 31st, 2013, 22:03
jenn - Not yet, I was planning to this weekend. I wish they were less vague about the ~important administrative procedures~ that they need to complete on the 25th.

kelly - Is there another form you can obtain that shows when you graduated? I think I submitted a "Proof of Graduation" form since my transcript didn't have the date either.

TAmember2003
January 31st, 2013, 22:20
it should be on the official transcripts... mine doesnt have a grad date, but it says something else (I cant remember and I dont have it in front of me), something like completed blah... or something along those lines.

zombiekelly
February 1st, 2013, 04:31
I found a form that has it, it's just stupid that a big institution wouldn't have a specific date on their transcript.

paromo
February 1st, 2013, 10:16
No placement information just yet, but I did receive an email from Phillip Knight in the Placement Department, which hopefully means we'll be getting our placements any day now. The email includes a pretty informative PDF about working in Japanese schools, but aside from that, it seems like a lot of the same basic info, unfortunatley.

In other news, I found out that I don't have TB, so that's cool...

TAmember2003
February 1st, 2013, 10:26
i got the same thing!

zombiekelly
February 1st, 2013, 11:11
They offered me an Ibaraki spot. Kasumigaura. I'm probably going to accept since it is fairly close to Tokyo. Not familiar with the area but he did say it was a driving position with one jhs and the rest elementary.

Teishou
February 1st, 2013, 11:12
Yeah, you have fun with that JHS.

TAmember2003
February 1st, 2013, 11:14
zombiekelly that sounds nice!
and in the area that I want... :(

Did you get the call tonight?

zombiekelly
February 1st, 2013, 11:22
Yeah at quarter til seven. I'm at work but I was able to answer.

Was that jhs remark a warning? I'm already expecting boob grabs and upskirts, what else is going to happen?

Teishou
February 1st, 2013, 11:23
Ah, I wasn't even referring to the conduct of the students. lol

The JHS is just usually inflexible as hell, so it's tough fitting any ideas in.

Sakurahoshi
February 2nd, 2013, 03:49
I've received the placement email. Good info, it was interesting to see the schedule and lesson plan sent from the school to Interac, and learn more school-related vocab. I really wish I knew my placement. I thought I had the call today; my mobile rang at 7am, and I've heard that's about when they call UK people. It turned out to be my dad downstairs, saying 'this is your early morning wake up call.' Needless to say, I wasn't impressed!

zombiekelly
February 2nd, 2013, 14:14
I accepted Kasumigaura. I'll have a car and I'll be near a Matsuya- perfect placement for an American.

winsome_mushroom
February 3rd, 2013, 01:30
Zombiekelly- congrats on your placement!!!!

yorunokissaten
February 4th, 2013, 13:59
I just got my placement too! I almost didn't pick up the phone, but then I realized how very long the number was and thought, gosh this is probably important!

I got offered a placement in Kinko in Kagoshima prefecture and I just accepted it! It's a pretty small town, only about 9,500 people, but I'm up for it! I've been in Colorado pretty much my entire life and I wanted something different. Something... by the water. Well Kinko is apparently right on Kagoshima Bay so I got my wish (I actually did request somewhere within the prefecture). Of course it's a driving position and will be elementary and junior high schools. I'm so excited! I've already spent some time checking out local school websites.

TAmember2003
February 4th, 2013, 14:02
yay... everyone is getting placements... (I really wish sarcasm could be read. LOL).
Im joking! congrats to everyone that has gotten their placements!
Maybe I will be this week!

Teishou
February 4th, 2013, 16:07
9,500 people, small? Bahahah.

winsome_mushroom
February 5th, 2013, 01:58
I just got my placement too! I almost didn't pick up the phone, but then I realized how very long the number was and thought, gosh this is probably important!

I got offered a placement in Kinko in Kagoshima prefecture and I just accepted it! It's a pretty small town, only about 9,500 people, but I'm up for it! I've been in Colorado pretty much my entire life and I wanted something different. Something... by the water. Well Kinko is apparently right on Kagoshima Bay so I got my wish (I actually did request somewhere within the prefecture). Of course it's a driving position and will be elementary and junior high schools. I'm so excited! I've already spent some time checking out local school websites.

Congrats on your placement! Did you get it on Friday?

Sakurahoshi
February 5th, 2013, 02:48
I got my placement today! It's Numazu city in Shizuoka. It's got a population of 200,000 and it's near the coast, and close to Tokyo. I've been told it's ES/JHS and non-driving. I'm well pleased with that, it sounds great. Hope they tell me my start date soon so I can book my flight.

TAmember2003
February 5th, 2013, 02:51
Oh congrats!! That sounds like a cool place!!

paromo
February 5th, 2013, 04:43
Dang, congrats on the latest rounds of placements, they sound like some awesome cities, especially Kinko. Kagoshima is a beautiful part of the country, so I'm kinda jealous about that one.

Don't worry TA, you're not alone in not having received a placement yet. The good thing is, we're most likely getting placed this week (wishful thinking) but unfortunately the waiting is the hardest part, so if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to pulling my hair out. On the plus side, I won't have to get a hair cut before I ship out...

stephiiStephii
February 5th, 2013, 04:54
between waiting for that call and the insane stress at work since the year started I feel like I'm about to buy a ticket and fly far away, placement or no!! :120:

congrats to those who have received their placements though :)

TAmember2003
February 5th, 2013, 04:55
Yeah, the waiting game is really bothering me as well... Lol. I keep saying, maybe this week, lol. (3rd week now :( )

penguins42
February 5th, 2013, 18:04
I got my call tonight. Missed it the first time but sat by the computer and phone the rest of the night immediately answering emails, so I managed to get them to call me back again around 11pm my time.

Not a lot of details - Yokohama, "largely" elementary schools, but he didn't think it was going to be a ridiculous number of them. Non-driving, because it's freaking Yokohama. Not what I expected at all!

I hope the rest of you hear soon too!

TAmember2003
February 5th, 2013, 21:45
ohhh congrats!
I hear that is an amazing area!!

stephiiStephii
February 5th, 2013, 23:24
got an email asking me to resend a pic for my online resume *sigh* so I can just imagine how long it's gonna take for me to be called. hopefully I'm not deferred or anything.

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 04:07
I got that email as well!! I was wondering if they are asking for that because no one is picking us... Lol.

zombiekelly
February 6th, 2013, 05:28
Don't worry. I got that email about the degree thing the night before I got called. I sent it in after I confirmed my placement.

paromo
February 6th, 2013, 07:19
Hadn't even thought of deferment, that would suck. Still no word of placement, but also no email asking me to retake my resume picture... yet.

TAmember2003
February 6th, 2013, 09:02
does the deferment mean that you have to wait till august or does it mean you still go to japan. but just stuck in tokyo till they find you a place?

paromo
February 6th, 2013, 09:21
It would most likely mean waiting until August due to all positions being filled. In theory, the chance of that should be significantly lower seeing that we are at the beginning of the school year, with people having just ended their one year contracts.

That is to say, one could assume there are more positions available at this time than any other during the year, but you know what they say about making assumptions...