PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do the program twice? I am a former JET re-applying

ihatefall
November 19th, 2012, 07:35
I was a JET in Ibaraki-ken from 2006-2008. I left because my girlfriend wanted to study in America so I followed her back. She is graduating and we are looking to move back to Japan ASAP.
Any advice? What did you put in your SOP? etc.

Gizmotech
November 19th, 2012, 10:15
The two returnees I know both are super dedicated to teaching.

I might focus on:
Maturity
Teaching focus
What you can do differently this time
What the time in-between has taught you.
Why you will be a better JET this time than last.

ihatefall
November 19th, 2012, 11:27
I was thinking about applying for the CIR position with the ALT option. My Japanese isn't amazing but I think it'll be good enough. (according the the JET guidelines I would be advanced in everything and in reading semi-advanced.)

Gizmotech
November 19th, 2012, 11:34
So what is your motivation for trying to be a CIR now? What will make you good at that job? Why should they take you over someone w/ a fresh perspective on Japan? What does your previous experience help you do in that type of position that makes you better than everyone else?

mothy
November 19th, 2012, 19:12
Jeez. Move on. Don't be like Wicket. Whatever you do man. Don't be like Wicket.

coop52
November 20th, 2012, 07:58
Whatever you do man. Don't be like Wicket.

sound advice

ihatefall
November 20th, 2012, 13:10
Jeez. Move on. Don't be like Wicket. Whatever you do man. Don't be like Wicket.

I don't think I follow....

Gizmotech
November 20th, 2012, 13:16
There's a certain level of apathy for ALTs doing round 2. A lot of "why the hell did you come back?" and seriously... you should be looking for a real career not doing ALT work, especially if you plan on coming back to Japan permanently.

Don't be like Wicket, just don't come back.

ihatefall
November 20th, 2012, 13:45
There's a certain level of apathy for ALTs doing round 2. A lot of "why the hell did you come back?" and seriously... you should be looking for a real career not doing ALT work, especially if you plan on coming back to Japan permanently.

Don't be like Wicket, just don't come back.

I don't know about you guys but I had an amazing time on JET; it could have been the amazing 'friends for life' people I met there, or the fact that was 32mins from Tokyo on the slow train or that I am an avid cyclist and I taught at one of the few schools in the country with a cycling club.

But to give you all a little insight as to why I want to do JET again. I met my girlfriend while on JET, she wanted to study in America but I wanted to stay in Japan longer. Ultimately, I ended up leaving to be with her. Now 4 years later she is finishing up and we are looking to move back. Its really hard to find job in Japan stateside that isn't an ALT position and you're not a fresh graduate or have an MBA. (I am 32 with experience in Management) For while it looked like my current employer was going to offer me the Tokyo liaison position, but decided to terminate the position due to cut backs. So I am looking to get there first, work on my Japanese some more, pass the 2 kyuu / 1 kyuu and find something else. I never wanted to leave, I like Japan.

If you're not having a great time on JET and you can't understand why I would be open to doing it again, then I am sorry you didn't have the same experiences I had. However, while I understand people have the proclivity of using the Internet's anonymity to say harsh things, please don't bring negativity into my thread. I know it's the winter slump over there and all but don't rain on my parade just do so. You won't apply again.... OK, good for you. I want to, sorry if that isn't good enough for you.
I am looking for sound advice, from actual former JETs that have re-applied. JETs that are on round 2. Not JETs that are on round 1 and think they know. I thank you for your opinion but it's doesn't help me (aside from the one said they knew round 2 JETs).
Thank you.

Antonath
November 20th, 2012, 14:05
Popcorn.gif.

coop52
November 20th, 2012, 14:05
32mins from Tokyo on the slow train or that I am an avid cyclist and I taught at one of the few schools in the country with a cycling club.

I'm not saying you shouldn't re-apply if you really want to, but don't get your hopes up for this kind of placement again.

That said I have known JETs on their second term, and they seem like normal people. It can be a good thing if you have some way to tie it into your career, but the same thing can be said about staying a 4th or 5th year. I think you'll be ok as long as you go into it expecting a different experience and if you emphasize what you learned the first time around and in the time since you can home on your application.

Gizmotech
November 20th, 2012, 14:13
Wow, and here I would have offered more advice and information from the two returnees I know, who I talk to a lot and who don't visit forums, but after that outright dismissal I don't think I want to be even remotely helpful anymore.

ihatefall
November 20th, 2012, 15:06
Wow, and here I would have offered more advice and information from the two returnees I know, who I talk to a lot and who don't visit forums, but after that outright dismissal I don't think I want to be even remotely helpful anymore.

Gizmotech, Don't get me wrong. I thought your first posts were helpful and I thank you for them. But I came home today and was pretty excited to read the new comments in the thread and they were all kind of negative.
"Don't be Wicket. Don't come back"
I didn't get the reference but I am guessing after searching that is username Wicket who is a second time around JET?

coop52
November 20th, 2012, 15:29
She was, and now still hangs around here sometimes. Don't be like that and you're fine.

ihatefall
November 20th, 2012, 16:40
She was, and now still hangs around here sometimes. Don't be like that and you're fine.
Oh man! Don't worry I am not.

Beer Baron
November 20th, 2012, 22:08
Popcorn.gif.

I thought we had a popcorn eating smiley - then I had a look and couldn't find it. I must fix this immediately!

Page
November 21st, 2012, 13:18
LEAVE MY THREAD ALONE, GUYS.

But really, I think it takes special people to want to live here long term of their own, free will. Hopefully you get a placement that allows you to continue to feel the same way.

ihatefall
November 21st, 2012, 13:33
LEAVE MY THREAD ALONE, GUYS.

But really, I think it takes special people to want to live here long term of their own, free will. Hopefully you get a placement that allows you to continue to feel the same way.

BURN! hahaha (I deserve it)

I was really lucky before. But it wasn't all jpop glossy though. I had to move my second year and I was PISSED. I loved my first situation JHS and two elementary schools, no rent and a 7 min walk to the train station. My second situation was sucky in regards my supervisor was passive aggressive wimp who took a lot on me. I taught at an school that was my base school.
I made some great friends that weren't just JETs and that really helped.
If I don't get JET, I'll get something else. I was offered a position at a Bicycle shop last time as a mechanic and I will talk to them again.

Page
November 21st, 2012, 14:36
Well, that's good to know. We don't like no happy-go-lucky types 'round these here parts.

see: greengoo

mothy
November 24th, 2012, 17:11
I don't know about you guys but I had an amazing time on JET;

I had a great old time in kindergarten but I'm not planning on going back.

kurisu
December 7th, 2012, 12:20
I love mothy.

patjs
December 13th, 2012, 12:49
How do you plan to tie this to your career and future plans? Do you want to stay in Japan permanently? I could see a CIR position that involved translating/interpreting/ doing more than play karuta being a good experience step to getting better work in Japan. Or are you going back just because you miss Japan?

I briefly considered this too.. but I'd be afraid I'd get one of those fake CIR positions where you are mostly doing ALT work.

If you have as much experience as you say, and are business proficient in Japanese why not trying to find a job outside of the JET program or teaching? Usually JETs have trouble doing the job-in-Japan-after-JET because they don't have any real business experience, but it sounds like you do.

shandy
January 13th, 2013, 23:44
I'm so glad I thought of looking at this forum - came back from Japan in 2009 and nothing's really gone to plan since then - been studying for an MA part time and also temping and loathing both. I should have my Masters degree by the summer but god knows what to do then. Really got fired up to do JET again over the New Year period. Reading these posts is like sticking head in a bucket of ice water! Thanks.

ihatefall
February 5th, 2013, 00:19
And it looks like I don't have to do JET again after all! My current employer is sending me to the Tokyo branch!!!! They are working on my visa already, woot woot! Thanks for the advice everyone and good luck with your interviews.