PDA

View Full Version : Working Conditions Question

abbajen
November 25th, 2012, 11:20
I had a question about working conditions of preschool/kindergarten teachers. I had an interview tonight, and the person I talked to stated that "While technically we give a one hour break, in reality, you often do not have the opportunity to take the hour break". They went on to explain that you get "downtime" (ex. Kids' nap time, free play, lunch time are times you can step out for a few minutes to go to the bathroom, etc). It does pay 250,000-300,000 per month for 12 months, and there are 7 weeks of paid vacation. You also are offered company 3LDKs for 65,000/month. They do not help with health care financially, but will help you set it up. My husband and I would both be leaving fairly stable jobs in the US, and relocating to Japan. Therefore, I want to check - does this sound fishy to anyone? (Or, is this illegal?) Or is this normal par for the course for a preschool? (I sometimes did not get real breaks when I taught preschool in the US, but I normally did get a 30 minute break).

notjim
November 26th, 2012, 08:45
This is normal, every school I have worked at does not give you a break during the day, excluding lunch (which you likely eat with the students).

As for the pay it sounds like the usually minimum they offer to foreign dispatch workers, though that will vary depending on the region of Japan.

abbajen
November 26th, 2012, 08:54
Thanks for your reply!