PDA

View Full Version : So, between now and the interview...

MJjunkie86
December 5th, 2012, 01:28
We now have a month (or 2!) to wait to hear whether we even get an interview.
What plans do people have to pass the time?
I can see the board drying up a little...!

bwhat87
December 5th, 2012, 01:33
We now have a month (or 2!) to wait to hear whether we even get an interview.
What plans do people have to pass the time?
I can see the board drying up a little...!

Just finished school, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. Guess I'll just work full time to build up some capital and do a farewell do good micro-brews.

Big Innes
December 5th, 2012, 02:08
I'm just concentrating on work really and seeing friends on my days off. I look on here most days and do a bit of reading up on JET and Japan but I am not going to think or worry much about it until the new year or until letters start arriving on doormats.

flamingpriest
December 5th, 2012, 03:39
Just working the time away! I recently got sort of promoted, I really like my job and I'll be moving out soon so I'm honestly not too bothered about JET anymore. I'd still be chuffed if I got an interview though.

stanmarsh
December 5th, 2012, 07:00
I'm going to attempt to learn the language while I wait, while at the same time trying not to set myself up for too much disappointment if I get rejected. Which doesn't make much sense, but I figure I'll keep teaching myself even if I don't get in. It's kind of...fun? to learn the kanji.

LittleBlueDragonfly
December 5th, 2012, 07:26
I've started back on my daily Japanese study... I stopped when I was working on the application. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I'm going to do, other than work.

Shodanicron
December 5th, 2012, 08:22
Double my amount of Japanese classes. depending on my teachers schedule. Other than that same ol same ol

Eevee
December 5th, 2012, 10:38
Thankfully I have summer school (Mandarin, to finally complete my degree) to keep me a bit distracted. I'll also be working part-time, but it still feels like a really long wait ahead.

MJjunkie86
December 6th, 2012, 02:54
Yeah the wait is going to kill me. It's not so bad now, but once people start receiving their letters, its going to be hard!

Thankfully I have placement until Christmas, then dissertation after Christmas to do, so that shall keep me nice and busy and stressed!

AliDimayev
December 6th, 2012, 03:18
I guess I should finish grad school, ha!

I'm going to attempt to learn the language while I wait, while at the same time trying not to set myself up for too much disappointment if I get rejected. Which doesn't make much sense, but I figure I'll keep teaching myself even if I don't get in. It's kind of...fun? to learn the kanji.

On a side note, I got the notice that my application has been processed today, along with my ID number...ahhhhhhhh! I just emailed myself the number, since there's no way in hell that I won't lose that piece of paper between now and February or so...

Doing JET AFTER grad school?

ummm....what?

Stoke
December 6th, 2012, 03:40
I'm doing exactly the same thing I was before, working. The only two people that know I applied are my two references and I plan on keeping it that way until I get an interview. If I don't make it at least I won't have spent months neglecting my "normal" life for the benefit of something that won't happen.

SPR_255
December 6th, 2012, 04:02
Working roughly 30 hours per week.
Finishing up my Bachelor's degree (Spring 2013).
Studying some basic Japanese.

MJjunkie86
December 6th, 2012, 04:03
What's grad school??

Aahh stoke! That actually make me feel sorry for you!! Cheer up, it might happen! :p

MJjunkie86
December 6th, 2012, 04:04
Studying some basic Japanese.

What basic Japanese are you learning?

Stoke
December 6th, 2012, 04:18
What's grad school??

Aahh stoke! That actually make me feel sorry for you!! Cheer up, it might happen! :p

Whoops, meant to say "might not happen." My inner pessimist is bleeding through.

Grad school is post-bachelor level education. For getting masters degrees and beyond after you have already obtained your 4 year bachelor degree.

SPR_255
December 6th, 2012, 09:28
What basic Japanese are you learning?

Well, I've got the hiragana and katakana down as well as a handful of phrases/vocab words. After this hectic, 5-class semester is over with on the 16th I can get back to studying Japanese (only 2 classes in spring).

Japanese For Busy People I
My Japanese Coach on DS
Rosetta Stone
Japanese "Living Language" Set (books and CDs) I got from a friend awhile back.
Courses on livemocha.com

Just some basic stuff. I feel I won't be able to retain a lot of it until I have to use it on a daily basis.

Paper Moon
December 6th, 2012, 12:35
-I'm studying basic Japanese with Pimselur and other learning aids that the library has to offer.
-I'm interviewing with schools (via Teach for America) in New York in case I do not make into JET.
-I'm applying for temporary work so that I can save up some money.
-I'm going camping and hiking with friends! :p_cube:
-I will get to hang out with my little brother more because he'll be home from university for winter break.
-I'm finishing my Thai scrapbook that I started about 5 years ago.
-I'm making a The Seventh Seal T-shirt
-I'm auditioning for plays-- there are a few professional theatres in my city and if I can make it into one of their plays, then that would be a great way to do something I love and save money.

whitebloodcell
December 6th, 2012, 17:51
Well I am still at University and desperately trying to get all the work done so will be kept busy. Still can't help thinking about it though when I regularly hear from my peers that they have confirmed job offers so can now 'sit back'...

stanmarsh
December 7th, 2012, 01:07
Doing JET AFTER grad school?

ummm....what?
yup

AliDimayev
December 7th, 2012, 01:38
academia?

Why didn't you get a masters and then go get a job in the private sector?

bwhat87
December 7th, 2012, 01:42
Quarter-life crisis, man. This is the end result of my graduate program being not at all what I thought it was. Y'know the people on here who seem extremely bitter and jaded about Japan? That's how I feel toward academia. Looking forward to having something else to eventually feel bitter and jaded about....

I can relate. I had to take a year and a half off during my dang undergrad cuz I just hit a wall, let alone any post-grad stuff. Never too old to try something new, good luck bro.

AliDimayev
December 7th, 2012, 01:47
Babies

Gezora
December 7th, 2012, 02:33
Yeah, I mean um... unless you have a masters in philosophy or something, I would give JET a second thought. It can be a great experience, but I don't know. The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.

stanmarsh
December 7th, 2012, 02:58
academia?

Why didn't you get a masters and then go get a job in the private sector?

That's the plan. I'm not just sitting around complaining (well, not too much...); I know that there's plenty of work outside of academia.

Yeah, I mean um... unless you have a masters in philosophy or something, I would give JET a second thought. It can be a great experience, but I don't know. The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.

Yeah, I've been struggling with this. I realize that it's kind of futile to even think about it without even knowing if I have an interview, but the pros and cons of each job trajectory are completely opposite of each other. What Jet offers isn't easily attainable with my current job. On the flip side, being in Jet puts me as far away from my industry as can be, and I've heard varying opinions on how this will affect my future marketability. Bottom line: trust me, I've given this second thoughts...and third, fourth, fifth, etc. thoughts. It's both a win-win and a lose-lose situation, and hopefully the next few months away from school will give me some perspective...

Thanks, bwhat :D

Eternal Melody
December 7th, 2012, 05:24
Paper Moon, wow, that is an inspiring list of things to-do.
All the best to you. :)

Eevee, what level of Mandarin are you studying?

hunterofpeace
December 7th, 2012, 14:14
By all means share the comraderie of fellow applicants, but don't be afraid to join us in the lounge if you're bored. Particularly if you have a strong personality. We love a good sh!tstorm every now and again. We also need to groom a few trolls to take over when Ini inevitably keels over from radiation poisoning.

stanmarsh
December 8th, 2012, 01:31
By all means share the comraderie of fellow applicants, but don't be afraid to join us in the lounge if you're bored. Particularly if you have a strong personality. We love a good sh!tstorm every now and again. We also need to groom a few trolls to take over when Ini inevitably keels over from radiation poisoning.

I was just there...I'm scared D:

SPR_255
December 8th, 2012, 02:37
-I'm studying basic Japanese with Pimselur and other learning aids that the library has to offer.
-I'm interviewing with schools (via Teach for America) in New York in case I do not make into JET.
-I'm applying for temporary work so that I can save up some money.
-I'm going camping and hiking with friends! :p_cube:
-I will get to hang out with my little brother more because he'll be home from university for winter break.
-I'm finishing my Thai scrapbook that I started about 5 years ago.
-I'm making a The Seventh Seal T-shirt
-I'm auditioning for plays-- there are a few professional theatres in my city and if I can make it into one of their plays, then that would be a great way to do something I love and save money.

My sister was accepted into Teach for America. She ended up going to Houston.

Paper Moon
December 8th, 2012, 14:23
Paper Moon, wow, that is an inspiring list of things to-do.
All the best to you. :)

Thank you, all the best to you too!:^_^:

My sister was accepted into Teach for America. She ended up going to Houston.

Congratulations to her! My cousin was in Texas when he did Teach for America too. Does your sister like Teach for America?

I'm still uncertain about how I feel about Teach for America, but I'm really happy because I just found out that if I get into JET I might be able defer my Teach for America placement!

SPR_255
December 8th, 2012, 14:30
Thank you, all the best to you too!:^_^:

Congratulations to her! My cousin was in Texas when he did Teach for America too. Does your sister like Teach for America?

I'm still uncertain about how I feel about Teach for America, but I'm really happy because I just found out that if I get into JET I might be able defer my Teach for America placement!

She enjoys teaching, but the school she was placed in is one of the worst in the city so she gets stressed sometimes. An overbearing, out of touch principal and extra-ghetto 4th graders will do that. Plus the school has all sorts of ridiculous rules. No recess, the kids change classes instead of having a single teacher throughout the day (I didn't start doing that until middle school), and they are not allowed to talk to each other during lunch. It sounds like a real nightmare/child prison, but she's soldiering through until she can get placed somewhere better, though I'm not sure how that works.

Paper Moon
December 8th, 2012, 15:03
She enjoys teaching, but the school she was placed in is one of the worst in the city so she gets stressed sometimes. An overbearing, out of touch principal and extra-ghetto 4th graders will do that. Plus the school has all sorts of ridiculous rules. No recess, the kids change classes instead of having a single teacher throughout the day (I didn't start doing that until middle school), and they are not allowed to talk to each other during lunch. It sounds like a real nightmare/child prison, but she's soldiering through until she can get placed somewhere better, though I'm not sure how that works.

Thank you for sharing her experience with me--I hope that she's able to change schools and I hope, for the kids' sake, that positive changes are implemented in the school. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Teach for America, but I've heard positive stories too. I'm preparing for the worst, but I worked in a summer camp where I constantly had to make sure that the younger kids didn't try to grab poisonous snakes, so at least in the classroom there won't be any worry of keeping the kids away from poisonous snakes--- Or so I imagine, maybe I'm wrong. In my inner-city middle school we had rats. My class liked them and we gave them names!

It seems that with TFA, like JET, it's fairly up in the air as to whether you'll get a school that you like with co-workers whom you like and that sort of thing. I guess that's true of any job and anything in life really.

Japanna
December 9th, 2012, 13:44
Houston Independent School District is NOTORIOUSLY awful.

If she wants to stay in Houston, she should definitely transfer to Spring Branch ISD. It's in (or rather, surrounded by) Houston, but is a separate system of really good schools. I strongly recommend Valley Oaks Elementary and Cornerstone Academy.

Page
December 9th, 2012, 17:14
The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.

This. I hate my life.

Hexi
December 10th, 2012, 01:11
practising my japanese, sewing, baking, working on the london production of Princess Mononoke, making vodka. oh and working. busy busy busy! but not busy enough! XD

MJN
December 11th, 2012, 10:12
This. I hate my life.

It's not that bad. Just learn to make use of free time in a productive way & enjoy the pocket money Japan's government gives you for skiving off.

Gizmotech
December 11th, 2012, 11:27
I recommend people here start joining us in the lounge. Though we might seem a little disgruntled we have a lot of experiences to share which can help you get ready for your time in Japan.

Start by checking out the woots thread and go from there. Welcome to the lounge.

coop52
December 11th, 2012, 13:19
word. We're not all that scary.

hunterofpeace
December 11th, 2012, 13:37
Yeah... I used it to blow off steam while I waited around for interview notifications... and then interview results... not to mention the excellent grad school procrastination I accomplished in there. Also bonus reason to join us... we give more personalized application attention to people who contribute. You might think we've reached the extent of our helpfulness with the written application but nay. I got a really (lengthy) helpful wall of text about interview advice from word that I think made a world of difference in how I presented myself.

HopefulHarry
December 11th, 2012, 20:23
-Brush up on my Japanese, I'm reallyyy rusty
-Buy a new guitar...hopefully, that will be a late Christmas present to myself
-Eat...a lot
-Read...a lot
-Find a new job to save up
-Work out

MJjunkie86
December 14th, 2012, 06:14
Maybe someone could move this thread to the Lounge area..?

Anyway, just popping in to say Hi! Am sooo busy on placement right now I don't have time to post! Only 4 more days left.... Not that I'm counting... ;)

Eevee
December 22nd, 2012, 05:27
Eevee, what level of Mandarin are you studying?

I'm just starting out. My dad is fluent, though, so hopefully I'll have help a phone call away!

Everyone's lists are really motivating me to do more with my time, so I've emailed a few local schools offering volunteer work, as they quite often take students from the local uni to do menial stuff. Hopefully I can get some school-related experience in before the (potential) interview.