PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Japanese-language media

therealwindycity
December 10th, 2012, 12:41
Books, movies, TV shows (dubbed are ok too), manga, websites, twitter feeds, podcasts, radio shows, anything you found interesting. I haven't found anything in a little while that's really caught my interest. I just finished reading this:

Amazon.co.jp: ǂ: pꂪłȂ߂Ȃ! (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/4479770666/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all)

coop52
December 10th, 2012, 13:40
I really enjoy the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo series and the Darling wa Gaikokujin series. The TV drama and movie adaptations are both crap though. The last real book I read in Japanese was called Aoi Tori. It's a collection of short stories about bullying. It's not too difficult to read either.

One of my favorite manga series at the moment is Yotsuba&! (yotsubato). It's just scenes of daily life through the eyes of an adorable little girl. It's really good for Japanese beginners since there's lots of every day life vocab and hiragana for all the kanji. Saint Young Men is also a pretty good series. The premise is "Jesus and Buddha get an apartment together and hang out".

Ini
December 10th, 2012, 14:45
I'm a big fan of the nihon bunka centre adverts

coop52
December 14th, 2012, 10:48
Junji Ito writes some pretty good horror manga, if you are into that sort of thing.

Scans with English translations. If it doesn't fit with the Google Rules I'll take the link down.
Read Junji Ito Scanlations Online for Free (http://www.justmegawatt.com/comics/junjiito.html)

Ini
December 14th, 2012, 12:48
Play Ryū ga Gotoku if you want to learn how to speak like a tough guy/hostess

therealwindycity
February 15th, 2013, 15:53
I'm reading ダーリンは外国人 and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Teishou
February 15th, 2013, 16:09
Pretty much my reaction when I got those books a few years ago. The movie was shite, too.

agrilledfish
February 16th, 2013, 16:18
One of my favorite manga series at the moment is Yotsuba&! (yotsubato).
Yotsuba& is one of my favorites, I highly recommend it as well! Super easy to read and pretty funny. I wish I could find more series like it.

I'm reading ダーリンは外国人 and I'm not sure how to feel about it.
I read a bit of the manga but most of it was cutesy married life stories that really have nothing to do with the husband being a foreigner, making it just about as exciting as Blondie. On the one hand I'm glad that it avoids gaijin stereotypes, but I still find the whole premise slightly offensive. Maybe I've just spent too much time on infamous gaijin butthurt commune ithinkimlost.com.

coop52
February 18th, 2013, 08:11
The movie is far far more offensive than the books. It's almost as if the movie makers didn't read the book at all since they cut out any sort of positive parts about the gaijin guy and just made him a herbivore boring guy. The spin-off series ダーリンの頭ン中 is a little more interesting since it's more about the husband's language geekery than about their relationship.

Tyr
February 19th, 2013, 09:12
Densha Otoko despite its annoying parts was the best thing ever.
At the moment I'm watching something called My Boss My Hero which is rather good. A 27 year old yakuza guy has to pretend to be a 17 year old high school student. Hilarity ensues.
Also I can't recall the title but I saw the first episode of another great series. Sort of Freaky Friday type stuff, salaryman and teenage daughter body swap. Momoko and papa something? Really want to see more of that but don't have anything.

Movie wise...Battle Royale (duh, everyone knows it), Zatoichi (also somewhat duh), Departures, Tokyo Sonata, Detroit Metal City and Kamikaze Girls (duh) come to mind as being awesome.

I really enjoy the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo series and the Darling wa Gaikokujin series. The TV drama and movie adaptations are both crap though. The last real book I read in Japanese was called Aoi Tori. It's a collection of short stories about bullying. It's not too difficult to read either.
I liked the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo TV series. Saw it before checking out the manga.
Darling wa Gaikokujin was a meh movie. So-so.

I hardly read any manga in japanese though that was my main study method with other languages. Its just so hard with J-Go and teaches you not so useful stuff.

zombiekelly
February 19th, 2013, 10:42
A friend bought me Soseki's Kokoro as a christmas present. Is it worth moving up in my reading list?

coop52
March 15th, 2014, 11:38
Just finished reading 西の魔女が死んだ after seeing the movie on a plane this past winter break. It's a lot like the books I had to read for school as a kid- Mai, the main character, stops going to school for reasons and gets sent to stay with her grandmother (who happens to be British; it's done fairly well) for a few weeks. The book is mostly about their relationship, mostly through the grandmother's "witch training", which suspiciously sounds like normal life skill kind of stuff. It's pretty short (about 190 pages) and doesn't have too many difficult words in it, so it's a pretty good book for people studying Japanese. The movie's also pretty good if you want to watch it.

I also started reading a manga called 銀の匙/Silver Spoon fairly recently after a bunch of my coworkers recommended it. It's about life in an agricultural school in Hokkaido. It does a good job showing of the more unpleasant sides of farming, like the fact that it's easy to go out of business. One of the first plot arcs, in fact, is the main character, a city boy who doesn't know much about where food comes from, having to deal with the fact that the cute little pigs the class is raising are going to end up as food. It's one of the better manga I've read.

Teishou
March 25th, 2014, 09:31
Silver Spoon is a wonderful manga - it's by the same guy who did Full Metal Alchemist.

OdysseyOfNoises
April 9th, 2014, 14:18
Bought Death Note vol 1-12 off of Amazon for ¥900 inc. shipping recently. I came in blind off a friend's recommendation (I hadn't seen the anime). It's a lot harder than I was expecting (I've passed N2 and I'm finding it a struggle in places), but it really is a fantastic manga.

As an aside, I can't recommend Amazon highly enough for buying sets of manga, especially if you're buying second hand. I would've paid approaching ¥2000-2500 for it in the shops.

zombiekelly
April 11th, 2014, 03:00
¥2000? Uh, no you wouldn't. Book off has almost every manga ever for 108 a volume, and most of the time they have series bundles for even less. Heck, I bought a 18 volume set of Monster for ¥1000 at the one in Shibuya.

OdysseyOfNoises
April 11th, 2014, 09:36
Forgot about Book Off, my bad.

isitatomic
April 12th, 2014, 04:26
Other than cinema in general, I think my favorite would have to be ナンダコーレ.

Self-introduction practice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoByCu3QUAM) and kana practice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_27N_Dfjg) are both stellar.

therealwindycity
April 15th, 2014, 13:32
I heard that Yoshimoto Banana was really good for Japanese learners, so I picked up one of her books from the school library and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's called デッドエンドの思いで、 although one of my coworkers told me that キッチン is better.

Gon
April 16th, 2014, 12:00
Silver Spoon is a wonderful manga - it's by the same guy who did Full Metal Alchemist.

Girl - and she is amazing. Her plots and pacing are great and she writes characters very well. I also recommend both Silver Spoon and FMA.

If you're into supernatural stuff Natsume Yuujinchou and Mushishi are both very good. Both have anime adaptions, and the second season of Mushishi is airing at the moment.

happytime
May 22nd, 2014, 14:50
My Japanese friends in the 'States would watch all sorts of Japanese comedy series, but the only one that really held my interest was ザ!世界仰天ニュース (http://youtubeowaraitv.blog32.fc2.com/blog-category-69.html), mostly because the reenactments are so funny.

"Sophisticated" Japanese people seem to think it's pretty low-class (since it's easy to understand and even easier to watch -- it introduces interesting/bizarre events from around the world, with Japanese subtitles and hilarious Japanese-dubbed foreign actors. Did I mention Japanese subtitles?), but that makes it perfect for us learners! There're also segments of on-the-spot talk/discussion about the reenactments, so there's your listening practice for "authentic" speech.

Ini
May 22nd, 2014, 15:30
practically every variety show has subtitles. Osakians control the media here. Nobody can understand a word they are saying though so they have to subtitle it.

therealwindycity
May 22nd, 2014, 17:34
Back when my boyfriend was in the 'States we would watch all sorts of Japanese comedy series, but the only one that really held my interest was ザ!世界仰天ニュース (http://youtubeowaraitv.blog32.fc2.com/blog-category-69.html), mostly because the reenactments are so funny.

"Sophisticated" Japanese people seem to think it's pretty low-class (since it's easy to understand and even easier to watch -- it introduces interesting/bizarre events from around the world, with Japanese subtitles and hilarious Japanese-dubbed foreign actors. Did I mention Japanese subtitles?), but that makes it perfect for us learners! There're also segments of on-the-spot talk/discussion about the reenactments, so there's your listening practice for "authentic" speech.

I've been watching this a ton recently! I love how easy it is to understand, and there are a bunch of them up on youtube. No matter how I try I just can't seem to get into dramas and most variety shows.

osakavamp
May 23rd, 2014, 01:16
I like music shows like Hey!x3 and Music Station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happytime
May 23rd, 2014, 12:26
I've been watching this a ton recently! I love how easy it is to understand, and there are a bunch of them up on youtube. No matter how I try I just can't seem to get into dramas and most variety shows.

Hurray! A fellow watcher~ :3
I feel ya with the dramas an variety show thing. D: It was fun when I liked anime and drama, but now that I'm too lazy to get into anything it's hard to get in the practice I need.

(Also, thank you for saving my butt! I should more considerate towards others. >.<)

jacqui
May 25th, 2014, 05:00
The 聖☆おにいさん manga series is hilarious. I saw a poster for the movie last year, but I haven't seen that.
It revolves around stories and mishaps that occur when Jesus and Buddha come to Japan for a holiday.

I still occasionally watch VS嵐 as well because it requires no understanding and is usually pretty funny.