PDA

View Full Version : Interviews

MJjunkie86
January 7th, 2013, 09:31
If you've got an interview, let us know here!
Once you've been for your interview, let us know what you were asked and how it went!

Antonath
January 8th, 2013, 08:41
:popcorn:

MJjunkie86
January 8th, 2013, 08:50
:popcorn:

:') Pass me some ;)

Antonath
January 9th, 2013, 08:50
If the thread is ok, a mod needs to delete the discussion and bitching, leaving it pristine and ready for interview stuff. If it isn't, the whole thread needs to go.

Simples.

word
January 9th, 2013, 09:27
Make sure you know your SoP inside and out.

Stay in a hotel within walking distance to your interview the night before if at all possible.

If you have the ability to schedule your interview, do so as soon as you possibly can. Try to get a good slot.

Take care of yourself in the weeks leading up to the interview. Eat healthy foods. Don't drink heavily or smoke a bunch of weed.

Don't forget your interview voucher card/thing. I don't know if all consulates do this, but mine did, and a dude who interviewed with me forgot his. Guess who I didn't see in Tokyo. Think of it as a final "dumbass" screening.

coop52
January 9th, 2013, 09:29
For Christ's sake wear a suit. A nice one, don't go cheap. Get it tailored if it doesn't fit perfectly off the rack. It's a good investment even if you don't make it on to JET.

Antonath
January 9th, 2013, 09:50
For Christ's sake wear a suit. A nice one, don't go cheap. Get it tailored if it doesn't fit perfectly off the rack. It's a good investment even if you don't make it on to JET.
This. So many stories of people wearing inappropriate stuff to interviews, and every year someone on official asks if they should wear X (where X could be a school uniform, traditional Japanese outfit, hawaiian shirt...).

The advice I give (usually after facepalming) is this:

This is not a holiday, excuse to weeaboo-out in animeland, or fun way to pay off your student loans. You are applying for a job with the Japanese government. Wear clothing and act in a manner befitting that position.

Other advice:
-Get there early.
-Remember you're in an embassy. Whether or not the ambassador is around, people are trying to work.
-Remember, you're in an embassy. There will probably be a security check to get in. Don't be Mr. Funny with the guards.
-Know your SOP: they will likely ask questions about it.
-If you claimed to know some Japanese, brush up on it. They may ask for a demonstration.
-Turn up wearing your interview clothes and leave them on until you're out of the building. One guy I interviewed with only put on a tie and jacket while he was in the interview room. Guess who didn't make it.

mothy
January 9th, 2013, 13:49
Yeah, even though JET isn't a real job and it's just a time to get drunk and try to have sex with Japanese people, at the interview you need to pretend it is a real job. Treat it like a serious interview and you should be fine.
If you don't know how to act in a serious interview there's probably better places to learn than ITIL.

jjstrand
January 9th, 2013, 16:50
Thanks guys. Luckily I've got somewhere to stay the night before, and a well fitting Zara suit (though it's getting to the point where I could use more space in the shoulders).
I'm compiling a list of questions I think they might ask me, but I'm not too focused on that. The impression I get is a smart, gregarious, sensible and, most importantly, confident attitude and bearing is key. Looking forward to the interview actually, just gonna keep checking my SoP and brush up my grammar and a little on my Japanese. And keep an eye on Japanese current events just in case.

lilyanphino
January 9th, 2013, 17:26
Also, if they do ask you questions in Japanese and you completely mess up on a question, don't worry too much about it. They just want to make sure you aren't totally lying on your application if you say you know some Japanese.

bananallanah
January 9th, 2013, 20:20
This. So many stories of people wearing inappropriate stuff to interviews, and every year someone on official asks if they should wear X (where X could be a school uniform, traditional Japanese outfit, hawaiian shirt...).

Yeah don't be that guy from official last year who was insistent on wearing his old uniform from when he was an exchange student in a Japanese school.....

Also: smile! It's really easy to forget when you're nervous but they're looking for people to work with kids so looking enthusiastic is a big one.

melty
January 9th, 2013, 20:28
Good luck folks!

All the advice above is good.
Remember to be polite for the entire time you are in the Embassy/Consulate. You can ask questions and chat to the ex-JEts in the waiting room...remember to be friendly and professional then (as well as in the actual interview)

My boss is going to be on the panel for interviews next week. He's really looking forward to it...so there will be at least one friendly Japanese face :)

Teishou
January 9th, 2013, 21:26
That one guy got in right? I can't recall.

bananallanah
January 9th, 2013, 21:30
That one guy got in right? I can't recall.

Are you shitting me? I can't remember, I just remember that he wanted to do it and the general consensus was that he was a moron.

sloth
January 9th, 2013, 21:51
Seriously? That guy made it? *facepalm*

Also, in the US they are now required to check your Japanese with a few questions. Not big stuff, but be prepared if you don't know any Japanese.

jjstrand
January 9th, 2013, 21:55
The UK letter says that if you stated you knew above 'elementary' level in the application, you would be tested. There's also an English test before the interview.

Teishou
January 10th, 2013, 09:10
Yep, that dude Bejma made it in.

JET Programme Forums • View topic - Would wearing something like this be pretentious/rude? (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10899)

JET Programme Forums • View topic - US Shortlist 2012 (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11241&p=106304#p106304)

First one's his lame post about wearing that dumb uniform, and the second one is him stating his shortlist status.

Antonath
January 10th, 2013, 09:15
Maybe after the pile-on he received, he decided to wear a normal suit and came across like a sane person.

onaJETplane
January 10th, 2013, 20:00
Anybody got their interviews? I have heard nothing yet, but looking on other forums, people have been saying they've got their interviews for the 14th. I only found out in late Dec that my only exam is on the 14th, so thank god for that...

Other than that I'm thinking the worst now that people have been given interviews. I got sent an email saying my proof of degree was missing from my application, but quickly sent it the next day (had sent the incorrect letter). Now I'm thinking they did not collate the new evidence I sent and my application is resting on the 'incomplete pile' .... :(

Hopefully I do get an interview though, since I worked really hard on it, put out an excellent personal statement (I thought anyway) and would be left shattered if I get a rejection letter...

I will be booking a room at a premier inn the night before, so I can get to the embassy on time and fresh looking. Will also go explore London afterwards as I've never been!

flamingpriest
January 11th, 2013, 02:39
It doesn't make the wait any less agitating, but they will still be rolling out interview letters every day for the next few weeks - I wouldn't start despairing until it gets to February and you still haven't heard.

jjstrand
January 11th, 2013, 03:37
Aye, there are people on the Facebook group who've received letters to interview on the following week (24th I think some were on). I should imagine this notification process will continue until Feb at least. Considering the number of applicants they're likely to interview..
Besides, they posted on Twitter that they'd be sending out letters for the next 6 weeks (this went up on the 7th I believe).

jjstrand
January 11th, 2013, 06:34
Great, as of this year UK JET applicants have to pay £60 for a ICPC check.

Edit: just read more carefully and noticed it's only if you get shortlisted/alternate. Phew, because I'm broke.

Stoke
January 11th, 2013, 08:09
Great, as of this year UK JET applicants have to pay £60 for a ICPC check.

Edit: just read more carefully and noticed it's only if you get shortlisted/alternate. Phew, because I'm broke.

You're going to need a lot more than £60 if you get shortlisted.

MJN
January 11th, 2013, 08:36
You're going to need a lot more than £60 if you get shortlisted.

£60 wil easily cover the cost of the trip to London for the pre-departure orientation! Then you get a free plane ride to Japan and you can live merry and free with a worry. Right?

Right guys?

Stoke
January 11th, 2013, 08:40
£60 wil easily cover the cost of the trip to London for the pre-departure orientation! Then you get a free plane ride to Japan and you can live merry and free with a worry. Right?

Right guys?

Hell, with the way the ¥ is going £60 may end up covering it after all.

jjstrand
January 11th, 2013, 08:53
The reason why I was worried is because when I first read it I thought I had to apply for it before I went to the interview in a few days time. I'm still crippled from Christmas.

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 00:20
I got sent an email saying my proof of degree was missing from my application, but quickly sent it the next day (had sent the incorrect letter). Now I'm thinking they did not collate the new evidence I sent and my application is resting on the 'incomplete pile' .... :(

Hmm same. I had to resend something and I never heard whether they even received it or not...! Fingers crossed they did!

Am sure they wouldn't have asked us to resend stuff, then not even take it into account. (I hope!)

I wish they would just mass email everyone that didn't make the cut, and put us all out of our misery!

flamingpriest
January 12th, 2013, 02:05
Surprised there's only been one Brit reporting an interview here so far, considering there's loads of us. Maybe we're a particularly bad batch...? http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0073.gif

onaJETplane
January 12th, 2013, 03:08
Loads of Brits here saying they've got an interview

JET Programme Forums • View topic - Aspiring British JETs 2013 (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11916&start=435)

I assume they're just reading our applications from the new year onwards and once they've assessed them, they send out interviews for all those covered on that day as they progress through the massive pile of applications.

My theory anyway.

Also concerning our applications MjJ these are a professional Japanese organization so I'm sure they have a system for managing missing evidence, sending it to the right application pack etc. Just my worst case scenario imagination running away with me...

I wish I sent another self addressed postcard in my second letter in hindsight...

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 03:13
Loads of Brits here saying they've got an interview

Nothing like reminding us of that to calm the nerves...! Not.

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 03:42
JET Programme Forums • View topic - Aspiring British JETs 2013 (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11916&start=435)

Ok, where do I sign up for this website? Honestly, been searching for ages and I cant find a register button! WTF?!

onaJETplane
January 12th, 2013, 03:46
You get a link to register when they send you an interview card ;)

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 03:48
Huh? An interview card? Like my SASE?
Or an email?
Surely a lot of people on there don't have an interview yet, so how can they have an interview card?

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 03:57
Ok, I have no idea where this information could be that I need in order to sign up!

onaJETplane
January 12th, 2013, 10:15
I just made that up....

Teishou
January 12th, 2013, 13:00
I just made that up....

I wish I could like this post...

SPR_255
January 12th, 2013, 14:41
Ok, I have no idea where this information could be that I need in order to sign up!

Registration for the official JET forums is only open for part of the year to prevent bot accounts from spamming the boards with advertisements (a frequent problem on there for some reason) when people are trying to get relevant information during the application/interview period.

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 21:17
I wish I could like this post...

I wish I could hit him!

Damn it! Which parts of the year are they open?

dakyras
January 12th, 2013, 23:09
I'm a Brit with an interview on Monday. I put 'elementary' for reading, writing, speaking, and put 'intermediate' for listening, so hopefully they won't spring a language test on me.

MJjunkie86
January 12th, 2013, 23:29
Oooh good luck for Monday!

I read somewhere that if you put Intermediate or higher they will test you... Maybe as you only put it for one section they might not, but I guess it doesn't hurt to prepare for it anyway!

Come back after Monday and give us a run down of what happened!

dakyras
January 12th, 2013, 23:39
It's alright, I've got my ごめんなさいs ready, and hopefully I can wing an answer in English. I'll try and update on Tuesday, because I've got plans afterwards which do not involve sobriety.

jjstrand
January 12th, 2013, 23:52
Well they said anyone who states that their proficiency with Japanese is above elementary will be tested. So I'd be prepared for it come the day.

Page
January 13th, 2013, 19:12
Don't worry too much, they'll just have one of the Japanese members ask you a question. I think mine asked me what sport I like and if I'd want to get involved with the bukatsu at my school if I was accepted.

dakyras
January 14th, 2013, 21:52
Here's a run down of what happened:

Front door;
Security check, show passport;
Front desk, show passport, interview letter, and interview voucher;
Wait around in the lobby;
Former JET participant comes down, checks passport, takes interview voucher;
Taken upstairs with one other candidate to a room with a TV playing a film about JET, and a desk with a grammar/spelling test;
Sit down, take test (about 6 questions - correct mistakes in a short passage, select the correct spelling from a choice of three, pick the odd word out, etc.);
Watch the video, talk to the former JET participants;
Taken to wait outside the interview room;
Wait, twiddle thumbs;
Get invited in;
INTERVIEW - The questions were quite specific to my application, so I don't want to give too much away, but there were only about five questions and ranged from asking about things in my personal statement to 'what would you do if...' scenarios.

Re: the Japanese test. I was only asked to introduce myself in Japanese, which was a relief.

Good luck everyone else!

MJjunkie86
January 14th, 2013, 23:20
Fantastic! Thanks for that run down :)

How do you think you went? Are you relieved?
How long did it take from the moment you stepped in to the moment you left?

Congrats again! Have fun tonight ;)

jjstrand
January 15th, 2013, 03:16
Same as my interview.
It went pretty well actually, happy with it. Time to forget about JET, and get on with life for a while.

MJjunkie86
January 15th, 2013, 03:22
Saw your post over at the FB page :) Glad you are pleased with how it went :) Fingers crossed!

Stoke
January 15th, 2013, 07:17
How long did the interview take? It doesn't sound like it was very in depth. I assume they were trying to get everyone in and out fairly quickly.

jjstrand
January 15th, 2013, 07:26
The interviews were running late, and while I felt like the time flew by, it must have been at least 15m, if not the 20 allocated.
They went relatively in depth in mine, though not anything like the grilling I was half prepared for. The interviewers were nice guys, and I was happy with the questions I was asked. Again, 75% of it was centred on my SoP.

dakyras
January 15th, 2013, 07:47
I actually went in about 10 minutes early, and it still only took about 15 minutes for the interview, 15 minutes doing the test/watching the video.

jjstrand
January 15th, 2013, 15:41
Ah, good to know that was normal then. Did you have the 30-35 year old English man with the 50-60 year old Japanese man with glasses? They were very friendly in my interview.

dakyras
January 15th, 2013, 17:57
I had a older former JET participant (he must have been at least 50), and a woman who worked at the embassy; they were incredibly friendly too.

It nearly threw me, because when I applied for 2010 the interview was in a really small room and the interviewers were really formal.

Fantastic! Thanks for that run down :)

How do you think you went? Are you relieved?
How long did it take from the moment you stepped in to the moment you left?

Congrats again! Have fun tonight ;)

I was an alternate in 2010, and felt like this went much better. I knew what to expect on the spelling test, and wasn't daunted by the fancy embassy. So relieved now!

I was in the embassy at 10:20 (35 minutes before my interview time), and I think I left at about 11:10ish. There was a lot of waiting around though.

MJjunkie86
January 15th, 2013, 19:45
Ah that's awesome! Fingers crossed you get a place this time :)

Seems there people aren't in there too long then, suppose that's a good thing lol!

Hmm, so what sort of things were on the test? Simple things like there/their/they're or something harder?

dakyras
January 15th, 2013, 20:19
SPELLING AND TINGS

poem
January 15th, 2013, 23:36
Just had my interview yesterday- it's going to be a loooong wait :|

dakyras
January 16th, 2013, 03:58
Just had my interview yesterday- it's going to be a loooong wait :|

Dakyras, I don't think you should give people the advantage on the test. They shouldn't be asking in the first place :(

I made up all of those example questions; none of those words appeared in my actual test.

If you've ever taken any sort of literacy test, these are typical questions.

jjstrand
January 16th, 2013, 05:08
They told me there are a whole bunch of different question sheets for the grammar test, so it's not much of a problem. I wish I'd had a better idea of what to expect before going in, though.

MJjunkie86
January 16th, 2013, 08:20
Dakyras, I don't think you should give people the advantage on the test. They shouldn't be asking in the first place :(

Erm, who are you?

Pretty sure that as an adult dakyras can decide for himself whether he wants to share example questions or not. Am also quite certain that they have different questions and not the same one question sheet for every day they conduct interviews.
If you don't want any help or advice for the interviews you are probably in the wrong thread, seeing as this is titled "Interviews".

Ini
January 16th, 2013, 08:35
play nice children

Gizmotech
January 16th, 2013, 08:39
Erm, who are you?

Pretty sure that as an adult dakyras can decide for himself whether he wants to share example questions or not. Am also quite certain that they have different questions and not the same one question sheet for every day they conduct interviews.
If you don't want any help or advice for the interviews you are probably in the wrong thread, seeing as this is titled "Interviews".

Junkie, it's a relevant point. Especially with the competition in the UK application, even leaking a small amount of interview process/questioning provides no tangible benefits to the leaker, and lots of benefits to the other less competent participants who otherwise would have been eliminated.

This person is quite smart in that they have now found out the information that might be useful to them, and pointed out that others could benefit from it as well.

Thankfully any information about the interview itself (not the testing component) is pretty much useless as those things are generally tailored to the SoP/application which makes them participant specific.

dakyras
January 16th, 2013, 08:56
'You are going to be asked a series of questions that will test you on your vocabulary, spelling, and grammar' is hardly a game-winning piece of advice, but I'll edit the post to stop people crying.

Gizmotech
January 16th, 2013, 09:08
'You are going to be asked a series of questions that will test you on your vocabulary, spelling, and grammar' is hardly a game-winning piece of advice, but I'll edit the post to stop people crying.

You absolute do not have to edit the post at all! Keep it up. I'm just pointing some stuff out to junkie is all.

It's just a game-winning piece of advice for some people who apply for the program... you'd be amazed at how under-prepared some people are going into the process :P

poem
January 16th, 2013, 13:42
Erm, who are you?

If this was an exam at university, would you feel the same way? It's fine to look for advice on here, but to specifically ask what types of questions there will be is unfair.

jjstrand
January 16th, 2013, 16:29
I have to admit, in hindsight there are certain ways I could have dealt with the English test to have made it easier, especially in terms of preparing for it.
The fact that I didn't research what to expect (from previous years) is my own fault, but I'd be doubly foolish to then tell other people how to perform better on it than I did.

MJjunkie86
January 16th, 2013, 18:30
But we already knew there would be an English test! Asking what types of questions is very different from asking what were the questions!

Am not seeing the problem, knowing there is a multiple choice spelling section is hardly mind blowing information that will give us a head start over other applicants, it's something we'd most likely guess at anyway.

jjstrand
January 16th, 2013, 18:48
The sentiment is that Poem, and myself, don't want to go 'Okay, this is how, after doing the test, I could have done it better/this is what to expect (potentially that I didn't)'. This is inevitable in telling you what 'kind of questions' to expect.
I'm not saying 'I don't want to give anyone advice because I don't want them to get the job', just that I don't want to be the one who gives someone advice on how to specifically outperform my interview through my own reflections. I know I wasn't happy with my performance on the English test, and it'd be twice as bad if I make sure everyone else aces it because I gave them tips.
It's selfish, but it's also a job application...

dakyras
January 16th, 2013, 20:54
Cry me a river.

If someone's a poor speller, the information I provided isn't going to help them.

jjstrand
January 16th, 2013, 23:26
I wasn't criticising your choice to say whatever you said, or could have said. I was just explaining to MJ the perspective of someone who has done the test, and who perhaps wouldn't want to give information that they hadn't had before going in themselves to someone else.
I'm not specifically talking about the 'what type of questions', as much as the general disclosing of specific post-interview advice. I for one have had quite a few people, some I don't even know, message me asking for the details about my interview. While I don't mind sharing the obvious stuff that I and most others did/will know, the more in depth things, in particular how I think I could have done better, I'd rather not share. That's all.

dakyras
January 17th, 2013, 01:08
I understand where you're coming from; I got alternated in 2010 so came in this time feeling a lot more confident, knowing what to expect. But I think giving the format of the test is different from giving specific interview questions, which I've refrained from doing.

MJjunkie86
January 17th, 2013, 08:47
JJ, no one is asking to reflect on your experience and tell us how we can out perform you.
Simply, what can we expect on the test? The fact it's multiple choice helps me out no end because my spelling is terrible but my reading is great so I know the correct spelling when I see it. It's kinda irrelevant the actual words given coz, personally, it will do me no good to memorise a whole bunch of words plus ill forget them by time I get an interview! (If I even get one!!)

JJ, you said you didn't prepare well for the test, but surely if someone from last year gave an account of their thoughts on the test you'd have read it, instead of telling yourself you're getting an unfair advantage so not bothering!

MJjunkie86
January 17th, 2013, 08:50
I understand where you're coming from; I got alternated in 2010 so came in this time feeling a lot more confident, knowing what to expect. But I think giving the format of the test is different from giving specific interview questions, which I've refrained from doing.

Well, thank you. I for one appreciate it. I don't even have an interview (yet!) but just know that the part of the test I'm most worried about is multiple choice puts my mind at rest no end. And no, I don't feel like I'm being unfairly advantaged.

onaJETplane
January 17th, 2013, 12:42
Anyone else got their interviews yet? I feel like this is slipping away from me... :(

Also how long of a warning do they give you? I thought it was 14 days notice for an interview, but people here seem to be getting pretty sharpish dates.

I hope that English test is pretty elementary. I'm dyslexic when it comes to spelling, but I am getting better. Will be even worse if I make some mistakes considering I'll be an English graduate soon enough..

SarahKaye
January 18th, 2013, 00:09
FWIW: I'm an Edinburgh applicant and they started emailling out our interview notifications today. Received mine today for an interview on the 28th. But as several people have mentioned the interview letters will still be coming out until well into February! Ganbatte! :)

whooplah
January 20th, 2013, 11:55
Got an Interview in Melbourne sometime in Feb. Very excited! Any aussies on here with any advice?

MJjunkie86
January 20th, 2013, 20:21
Good luck on your interviews, guys!

therealwindycity
January 21st, 2013, 11:50
This advice may be a little on the late side, but if anyone lives close to the consulate where you'll be doing your interview, it might be good to try to attend some consulate-organized events. By the time I got to my interview stage I had met several people from the consulate and knew one of the people who was on my interview panel. It's not a guarantee, of course, but it will help you stand out from the other candidates and give the interviewers a better image of the type of person you are. My local consulate hosted/sponsored things like an annual Japanese culture festival, a Japanese speech contest, a seminar on using your Japanese language abilities in your future career, art and dance exhibitions, and JET interest meetings, among others.

Shodanicron
January 23rd, 2013, 22:06
Got refusal letter this morning so no interview for me.

I wish the rest of you guys all the best. And as a previous JET once told me. "Dont be a hermit when you get there. Get out and meet everyone and see everything!"

all the best

MJjunkie86
January 24th, 2013, 02:33
Ah no, am so sorry. Tbh I think I will get my refusal letter instead of an interview letter.
Good luck for next year if you decide to apply again.

onaJETplane
January 24th, 2013, 03:17
Ah no, am so sorry. Tbh I think I will get my refusal letter instead of an interview letter.
Good luck for next year if you decide to apply again.

I'm constantly thinking this, but refuse to accept it and still try to think positively. I wrote a really good application and PoS, had it peer reviewed by senior lecturer at a Russell Group university who thought it was a very solid application and told me I would have no problem at least getting an interview.

I will be devastated if I get a refusal letter and probably will not consider applying again, since I had a chance for applying for a PGCE course in November and decided to take this path. Seems like a massive gamble now, so hope I get at LEAST an interview.

MJjunkie86
January 24th, 2013, 05:37
I honestly think I had a really good application and PoS too. But I suppose who are we to know what they are looking for!? I have (will have by July) a teaching degree, 2 months teaching experience in Japan throu uni, and commitment and loads of other things I think they're looking for. But who knows if what I think they're looking for is actually what they want.
Uggh am so downhearted right now.

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2013, 08:59
I honestly think I had a really good application and PoS too. But I suppose who are we to know what they are looking for!? I have (will have by July) a teaching degree, 2 months teaching experience in Japan throu uni, and commitment and loads of other things I think they're looking for. But who knows if what I think they're looking for is actually what they want.
Uggh am so downhearted right now.

I had two friends who applied last year. Both were:
Linguistics graduates (Mix theoretical and applied ling)
University Certified TESOL (Teacher in service training course w/ teaching hours required)
Female
Internationally experienced (One diplomats daughter, the other just traveled a lot when she could)
One had JLPT 3/2 level Japanese. Could've probably been a CIR if she had tried.

Both were rejected after the interview stage. Their credentials are either the same, or better than mine in almost all regards, and I was shortlisted.

I also remember another guy the year I applied.
East Asian History
Japanese Language Minor (probably JLPT 3)
3 Years T.A. experience
Volunteer record

Not even given an interview. Probably would've been "that JET" we all know from T.O., but still, he had the credentials to make it there as far as I could tell. Probably would bombed the interview for being an arrogant toe-rag but still, he should have gotten to that point.

MJjunkie86
January 24th, 2013, 09:11
Yeah, am sure many many great candidates don't get interviews.
Would be surprised if half the applications just got chucked before they even began :-/

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2013, 09:13
Yeah, am sure many many great candidates don't get interviews.
Would be surprised if half the applications just got chucked before they even began :-/

When I was talking to the people who did Ottawa in 2010, they said they tossed about 30% of the initial applications without even looking at the content, for not being able to follow instructions exactly.

Sucks for people, but it happens.

coop52
January 24th, 2013, 10:06
That happens in other jobs all the time. Tons of resumes get tossed immediately for having obvious spelling errors or having crazy fonts or whatever.

onaJETplane
January 24th, 2013, 10:12
When I was talking to the people who did Ottawa in 2010, they said they tossed about 30% of the initial applications without even looking at the content, for not being able to follow instructions exactly.

Sucks for people, but it happens.

I sent the incorrect proof of degree letter and got an email saying this was so and to provide the correct one. I sent it the following day and has been on my mind ever since. Surely they would have collated the new evidence right?

Lianwen
January 24th, 2013, 10:34
^ I think the following directions bit is like how many applications the person sorting them has to go through before they start getting fed up.

Page
January 24th, 2013, 12:19
onaJETplane, that's not a glaring mistake of understanding. If they asked you to fix it they obviously aren't tossing it out at first glance (still a chance after they looked at it).

MJjunkie86
January 24th, 2013, 19:49
I sent the incorrect proof of degree letter and got an email saying this was so and to provide the correct one. I sent it the following day and has been on my mind ever since. Surely they would have collated the new evidence right?

This exact thing happened to me too.

They wanted an original proof of my time at my old uni, so I sent the letter I received from them when I left with what they had awarded me. Turns out JET didnt want an original, they wanted a brand new one. Got email too saying what they needed and (after an 8hr round trip to get it) sent it off!
Never heard from them to say they had received it :-/

Also, in the email they wrote my surname incorrectly and I pointed this out, to which they emailed back with an apology. I mentioned it in case they had also written it incorrectly in their system, but thinking now it might have come across as bitchy :-/

Anyone know when they stop sending out interviews?? I mean, someone has to be the last to be interviewed but am still not feeling confident!

dakyras
January 24th, 2013, 22:06
I took my undergraduate transcripts out of the card booklet/envelope they came in, and send those off with the application. Got an e-mail back at the beginning of December saying I needed to provide the original envelope, so I handed that in with a covering letter.

Had my interview last Monday, so I don't think it was much of a hindrance.

MJjunkie86
January 24th, 2013, 22:56
Maybe we're just really shit, then...

dakyras
January 24th, 2013, 23:08
Maybe we're just really shit, then...

It's still not over! There's another fortnight(ish) of interviews to go, and no one online's received a rejection letter yet.

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 01:13
Think interviews have already been sent out for the 4th Feb so not looking good.

Am so stressed. With this and everything else I got going on, I might just decide to drop out of life and live like a bum in the forest.

flamingpriest
January 25th, 2013, 01:41
Woah, I got an interview today, for Feb 5th!

MJjunkie, if it's any help, I think the last interview notification on the forums last year was recieved on Feb 1st.

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 02:14
Congratulations on your interview!!
Did you get an email or a letter to tell you?

Well, I guess we'll see what happens :(

flamingpriest
January 25th, 2013, 03:10
I got an email, apparently there's a letter on the way.

Hope you hear something soon mate http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy350/bravada21/Smileys/thumbs_up.gif

jjstrand
January 25th, 2013, 03:41
Congratulations flamingpriest! Glad to hear it.
Best of luck with the interview pal.

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 04:37
Best of luck! :)

Teishou
January 25th, 2013, 08:47
Congrats flamingpriest.

SPR_255
January 25th, 2013, 12:08
Interview dates for Miami have been posted. Feb 19-22 and the 25th.

Anyone else interviewing in Miami?

Also Denver: Feb 20th and the 25th-27th

CherryBerry
January 25th, 2013, 15:45
Interview dates for Portland OR, Posted.
Feb 14 and 15th
Lots of dates got posted today ^.^

flamingpriest
January 26th, 2013, 01:57
Congratulations flamingpriest! Glad to hear it.
Best of luck with the interview pal.

Best of luck! :)

Congrats flamingpriest.
Cheers guys!

LittleBlueDragonfly
January 26th, 2013, 07:19
Interview for me on Feb. 8th! :) woohoo!!!

jjstrand
January 26th, 2013, 08:47
Congrats!

whooplah
January 27th, 2013, 11:16
Interviewing in Melbourne on February 18th! So excited!

TheFantasticAsh
January 28th, 2013, 20:52
Congrats to everyone with interviews!

I'm now waiting for my rejection letter, because when I sat down and actually thought about it my application was full of silly mistakes. (My SoP was good IMO.)

But yay, I'll apply next year probably and no harm done.

wag1
January 28th, 2013, 21:44
Congrats to everyone with interviews!

I'm now waiting for my rejection letter, because when I sat down and actually thought about it my application was full of silly mistakes. (My SoP was good IMO.)

But yay, I'll apply next year probably and no harm done.

No need to berate yourself, just keep on concentrating on other stuff. Some people don't receive interviews until much later, so you may get one in the next month or so.

TheFantasticAsh
January 28th, 2013, 23:08
No need to berate yourself, just keep on concentrating on other stuff. Some people don't receive interviews until much later, so you may get one in the next month or so.

Thanks, but I'm just being realistic. Like I said, I'll apply again next year - so no big deal if I don't get it this time around.

mothy
January 29th, 2013, 11:13
Yeah, what's one year wasted in the big scheme of things.

Maninguenice
January 30th, 2013, 07:41
Just got my interview notification! Boston interviews will be Feb 18th through 22nd. Good luck to everyone with the waiting and preparation!

JJarmuth07
January 30th, 2013, 08:57
Also just got my e-mal from the JET Office in DC! Very thankful that I got an interview! Anyone else hearing anything from the DC office?

Lianwen
January 30th, 2013, 08:59
Just heard you American's found out interviews. Good luck, guys and gals <3

JJarmuth07
January 30th, 2013, 09:01
Thanks! Yea we did but I don't see the .PDF of numbers on the official website...

CherryBerry
January 30th, 2013, 09:06
the pdf will be posted on the 1st according to the post I just read

jjstrand
January 30th, 2013, 09:07
They'll be up on the 1st of Feb. Nearly all consulates have sent out email invitations by now, and the rest should all be out soon.

tatsuko
January 30th, 2013, 10:27
I've got an interview!

Teishou
January 30th, 2013, 10:46
Congrats.

bwhat87
January 30th, 2013, 10:46
Well crap, now I'm REALLY nervous. Los Angeles still hasn't set an interview date yet, so it could be that they're just behind, but I haven't gotten an e-mail or anything...Sigh, I really hate being left in the dark.

hunterofpeace
January 30th, 2013, 11:05
They were really behind last year, if I recall.

bwhat87
January 30th, 2013, 11:10
They were really behind last year, if I recall.

Who? LA? I really, REALLY hope so >_>

Ah well, not much I can do really...just drink my anxiety away till Friday. Or have an ulcer, I suppose, but I'd rather just drink.

therealwindycity
January 30th, 2013, 11:44
American's

:'(

Wasabi
January 30th, 2013, 11:56
Whoa... wow... I... got an interview. I definitely wasn't expecting it (like, AT ALL) and have been preparing for bad news. I had to check on the forums just to make sure I wasn't somehow getting trolled (I too was waiting for the PDF of numbers) but it looks legitimate.

Stoke
January 30th, 2013, 12:08
Still nothing for me, but I haven't seen anyone from the Nashville consulate with an interview yet so I'm not too worried.

I wasn't nervous until I started seeing everyone post about interviews but I'm positively frazzled now.

Wasabi
January 30th, 2013, 12:23
On the officials it was mentioned that some consulates are experiencing delays, so don't freak out just yet!

coop52
January 30th, 2013, 12:30
Yeah, give it another few days before starting to fret.

Teishou
January 30th, 2013, 12:40
LA's always crazy late, it seems like.

bobbarker4president
January 30th, 2013, 12:54
Got a notification from the LA consulate this afternoon for an interview! Pumped. Good luck y'all.

hunterofpeace
January 30th, 2013, 13:19
Yeah, but for the final announcement. I have no idea about interview stage last year because I just checked the PDF. But when everyone was finding out who was shortlisted, I'm pretty sure LA was one of the last.

SPR_255
January 30th, 2013, 13:31
On the officials it was mentioned that some consulates are experiencing delays, so don't freak out just yet!

Applied to Miami.

Freaking out. Well not really. But still extremely dismayed.

mothy
January 30th, 2013, 14:06
Who? LA? I really, REALLY hope so >_>

Ah well, not much I can do really...just drink my anxiety away till Friday. Or have an ulcer, I suppose, but I'd rather just drink.

If you get in you'll have both.

Page
January 30th, 2013, 14:13
Also just got my e-mal from the JET Office in DC! Very thankful that I got an interview! Anyone else hearing anything from the DC office?

Did your FBI record already get in to the office? Sounds like there are chances of rescinding the offer if your paperwork isn't there on time.

Lianwen
January 30th, 2013, 14:17
:'(

Ooooops.

TheFantasticAsh
January 30th, 2013, 22:50
Yeah, what's one year wasted in the big scheme of things.

Was this to me?

I haven't wasted a year nor do I intend to. My plan regardless of JET was to take a year after University ends and work as a bartender while I try and find a job. If that job is JET, great. If it isn't, that's fine too.

I haven't wasted anything, it's just that JET and the application process falls into my original plan.

uthinkimlost?
January 31st, 2013, 00:01
Did your FBI record already get in to the office? Sounds like there are chances of rescinding the offer if your paperwork isn't there on time.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/SIOW_Reflections/2012/09/24/fingers-crossed.jpg

mothy
January 31st, 2013, 07:31
I thought it was decided JJJJamuff07 was not a real person.

ChasingTheSun
January 31st, 2013, 08:45
I got an interview in Chicago!

Stoke
January 31st, 2013, 09:04
Well damn, guess that's it for me. Nashville emails went out an hour ago and I didn't get one. I'm pretty bummed that I didn't even make it to the interview stage.

Ini
January 31st, 2013, 10:19
I thought it was decided JJJJamuff07 was not a real person.

He might me a real person but the views he expresses on here are certainly not his own

Japanna
January 31st, 2013, 12:26
Got an interview!! This doesn't relieve the nervous anticipation so much as heighten it...

Ani
February 1st, 2013, 00:30
I know all the interview results aren't out there yet (I wouldn't despair if you don't have an email), but for those who end up not getting an interview -

I'm sorry! That sucks!

Think about your application - did you follow the directions? I mean really follow them?
Have a transcript for all your transfer credits?
Have a medical condition but no physician's form?
No proof of upcoming grad, or proof not from the registrar?

A lot of apps are thrown out because of little mistakes like that.

If not, I'd say work on gaining some teaching experience, learn some Japanese, and try again next year!

Ini
February 1st, 2013, 01:16
Gee thanks! Do you want to be a condescending bitch about anything else while you are at it?

Keliose
February 1st, 2013, 01:28
I have an interview in Detroit! :)

stanmarsh
February 1st, 2013, 02:01
I know all the interview results aren't out there yet (I wouldn't despair if you don't have an email), but for those who end up not getting an interview -

I'm sorry! That sucks!

Think about your application - did you follow the directions? I mean really follow them?

If not, I'd say work on gaining some teaching experience, learn some Japanese, and try again next year!

Of course I did; I'm not a moron. Yes transcripts, no medical conditions, graduated a few years ago so there's no issue with proof of graduation...high undergrad GPA, 4+ years of teaching experience including independently teaching an undergraduate seminar, graduate degree from the top program in my field, etc etc boringstuff.

Bah. I guess there's no use lamenting, but I do wish I knew what their selection process was and why it kind of seems to be a bit random.

Stoke
February 1st, 2013, 04:12
Of course I did; I'm not a moron. Yes transcripts, no medical conditions, graduated a few years ago so there's no issue with proof of graduation...high undergrad GPA, 4+ years of teaching experience including independently teaching an undergraduate seminar, graduate degree from the top program in my field, etc etc boringstuff.

Bah. I guess there's no use lamenting, but I do wish I knew what their selection process was and why it kind of seems to be a bit random.

It is a bit irritating not knowing exactly why we weren't selected, but most other jobs don't give out that information so it's not a big surprise. Plus it'd be very time consuming contacting all of the rejects.

I was quite sad yesterday but I'm done with my day of mourning, guess it's back to my normal life in Glorious 'Murika.

Teishou
February 1st, 2013, 08:52

I'm sorry! That sucks!

Really? THIS is what you say for your first post? GTFO.

AshesTree
February 1st, 2013, 10:34
I'm pretty positive that everyone here checked, double checked, and are probably rechecking everything that goes into the packets. I'm also sure that all of us are qualified for the position. The people they pick are all extremely varied. Some have teaching experience others don't. Some speak Japanese and others don't.
There is no point patronizing anyone and acting like you got it in the bag because you speak some Japanese or teach a couple of classes.

tatsuko
February 1st, 2013, 11:30
I agree that is a rubbish first post, but it is valid. I treated my second app like I had been a special snowflake the first time around and quadruple checked everything and prepared wicked early. So it isn't necessarily terrible advice, just poorly stated and rather douchey.

hunterofpeace
February 1st, 2013, 12:15
I dunno... I think one of the reasons I got in the second time was that I came to ITIL and learned not to be a pretentious genki dipsh*t in my SOP, not because I was more prepared. In fact, I wasn't planning on applying because I got into a Masters Program but I did it on a whim and had even less time to prepare.

tatsuko
February 1st, 2013, 12:19
True... And after I sort of got myself sorted over my mistakes, I stopped thinking about it at all and relaxed a lot more about it. But I do think it is worthwhile to examine old attempts, old resumes/apps and stuff in general to see if you can be better for any job... But, I also really like lists and stuff to reflect on what I've done later. To each their own, in the end.

MJjunkie86
February 1st, 2013, 20:09
Well done and good luck to everyone who has had/got interviews!

Personally, am not even checking every day now. Also found out because I switched university's half way through the course they won't let me graduate til NEXT year, ie a year after I should have, because I have to take an extra module and they won't pass me til I've done it. Worse thing is if they'd have bothered telling me sooner I could have done it this year, but no, no one bothered so I missed this years course and have to do it next year. So can't even do jet this year anyway. FFS.

LittleBlueDragonfly
February 1st, 2013, 22:37
I had a similar situation last year, so I know how you feel. My degree requirements changed and they decided to not offer one of the courses that I needed.. so I had to do another semester of school.

If you still want it, look at ways to improve your application and come back better than ever! :)

uthinkimlost?
February 2nd, 2013, 00:25
I treated my second app like I had been a special snowflake the first time around and quadruple checked everything and prepared wicked early.

Wut.

Gee thanks! Do you want to be a condescending bitch about anything else while you are at it?

I'm fairly certain this is one of the most beautiful things committed to the digital page.

Paper Moon
February 2nd, 2013, 03:46
I think I got an interview this year due to some of the advice on ITIL, so thank you all for your help! Gizmotech's advice on writing a successful SOP was especially helpful. Last year, I had been focusing so much on the Japan aspect of JET (I was trying to overcompensate for the fact that I don't have the Japanese language skills) that I didn't write much about what I could offer the program. This year I focused my SOP on why I would be a great fit for the job and I think it was much better.

I don't think Ani meant to hurt anyone or be condescending. I think it's good advice to really look critically at your application. Sometimes what seems obvious to one person isn't to another person.

For example, I had dual enrollment credit (high school credits that counted as university credits) and since I only ever attended one university, I only thought to get a trascript from my univeristy. However, the dual enrollment credit was awarded through a community college (one that I never actually attended), so I ended up needing a transcript from there as well. I think I might have been disqualified last year because I did not include my community college transcript in the application package.

AshesTree
February 2nd, 2013, 06:05
Well, the list is up and I didn't make the cut. Good luck to everyone else.

bwhat87
February 2nd, 2013, 06:41
Well, the list is up and I didn't make the cut. Good luck to everyone else.

Ditto, very bummed out. Honestly thought I had a good chance at it. Ah well, good luck to everyone who got an interview!

PS. I see that you can call after April to see why they didn't choose you. I'm gonna take advantage of that, I'm quite curious.

tatsuko
February 2nd, 2013, 10:06
uthinkimlost, I mean I treated myself like I was an idiot the first time around. I was too busy being a squealing fangirl and thus made myself mentally handicapped. So, second time around, I gave my first-application-self the lack of respect she deserved and proceeded to be an adult about my second app.

Wasabi
February 2nd, 2013, 10:51
I get the feeling that a lot of people probably don't get interviews or don't get shortlisted/alternate because of the 'squealing fangirl (or boy)' part of them coming across way too much. It seems that some of the most vocal and enthusiastic members on the official didn't get interviews. I feel that some people build up JET to the point that it becomes larger than life. There are so many opportunities to get to Japan and teach if that's what you really desire, so don't let a rejection from JET get in your way. I know that if I don't end up making it past the interview I still have plenty of other opportunities (after a weekend bender and a box of Kleenex, of course).

jjstrand
February 2nd, 2013, 17:24
I think I got an interview partly because my whole life hasn't revolved around JET or living in Japan.

JJarmuth07
February 3rd, 2013, 07:38
uthinkimlost? and Page : Yes I did get my FBI Background check in. I dropped it off at the embassy on Thursday. It arrived fine.

Not sure about my interview date, hasn't been set.

JJarmuth07
February 3rd, 2013, 07:49
There are roughly 1,400 people who were given interviews in the US (based on the .pdf of the application numbers).

I know this is pure speculation but is it reasonable to say something like 5-10% will not be interviewed? Either candidates volunteer not to interview or are disqualified for whatever reason (mainly FBI Background checks and medical forms).

Does anyone have a link to the .pdf from the JET Office regarding the number of participants from last year (and, ideally, years previously) - I saw it once before, it was a breakdown by country. Thanks.

tatsuko
February 3rd, 2013, 22:41
Yeah, the squealing fangirl/boy is definitely something that probably makes a problem. I read my old stuff and I was disgusted... I focused on things in a stupid fashion and didn't really put any of my interests in a way that put them forward as useful. I am really interested in Japan, but I can present the things I've done as something good and not really pathetic. So yeah... Squealing fangirl is not good at all and not really who I am all the time anyway (though I definitely am sometimes).

MJjunkie86
February 4th, 2013, 03:20
I'm not a fan girl, don't watch anime or read manga so none of that crap was on my application however I have been to Japan, took a work placement there in a school and travelled around for a bit. Ill also be a qualified primary school teacher, have experience teaching and whatever else but haven't got an interview.
Fck knows what they actually want.

stanmarsh
February 4th, 2013, 04:07
Sounds like you are either A) overqualified and they worried you'd be bored to death or B) the graduation stuff got in the way. Either way, don't beat yourself up! Are you dead set on Japan? Because, with a teaching certification, you open doors to being able to teach all around the world...with better pay, a super sweet apartment that you can choose yourself, and the opportunity to actually be a lead teacher. Have you looked at TeachAway?

flamingpriest
February 4th, 2013, 04:49
MJjunkie, maybe it has something to do with how you portray yourself in your personal statement as well as your qualifications/experience? I don't know.

This may be a long shot, but does anyone have any idea whether everyone starts with a blank slate at interview stage, or if your application score is still taken into consideration when deciding who to shortlist?

mothy
February 4th, 2013, 06:51
Look at these people acting like JET actually knows what it's doing and who gets selected and who doesn't is anything more than random.

stanmarsh
February 4th, 2013, 07:00
Will obtaining an arrest record improve my chances next year?

bananallanah
February 4th, 2013, 07:14
Look at these people acting like JET actually knows what it's doing and who gets selected and who doesn't is anything more than random.

Wait 'til placements come out! That'll shake them.
Pretty sure placements are decided by names and places in a hat and copious amounts of alcohol.

thefrozendestiny
February 4th, 2013, 09:13
From what I heard at a meeting once, I think placements are mostly decided by what the BoE's want. They know lots of people are going to apply, but if the BoE isn't happy, they will drop the program. In order to prevent that, they give them what they want. For example: A BoE in Kyoto says no girls and no Americans. That BoE will most likely be accomodated with a non-American male, even if the most qualified female American really wanted Kyoto. So basically, the only way your preferences count, is if you match the criteria of a BoE in the places you want...or at least that is the impression I get.

mrcharisma
February 4th, 2013, 09:18
dp

mrcharisma
February 4th, 2013, 09:21
I'm not a fan girl, don't watch anime or read manga so none of that crap was on my application however I have been to Japan, took a work placement there in a school and travelled around for a bit. Ill also be a qualified primary school teacher, have experience teaching and whatever else but haven't got an interview.
Fck knows what they actually want.

Won't patronise you with the "overqualified and they were worried you'd be bored" nonsense but I will ask one thing. Did you at any point mention your thing for the Child Catcher on your personal statement, or refer to yourself as "Bubbles"?

If you're a qualified teacher though, you could earn far beyond the jet salary doing something similar in Hong Kong. Worth looking into as an alternative if you're not totally set on Japan.

Gizmotech
February 4th, 2013, 09:32
If you're a qualified teacher though, you could earn far beyond the jet salary doing something similar in Hong Kong. Worth looking into as an alternative if you're not totally set on Japan.

Pretty much this. So long as it's a B.Ed and not one of those silly early childhood education degrees then you're mint all over the world.

As for not getting an interview, with those credentials I would assume it was a paperwork error rather than your SoP (though distinctly possible).

flamingpriest
February 6th, 2013, 03:29
Interview went ok - wasn't asked anything too crazy, interviewers were bros and the grammar test was easy. I don't think my answers were all that unique or interesting though, so it could easily go either way...

dakyras
February 6th, 2013, 03:35
Didn't really know where else to post this, but as we were on the topic of fangirls... Is anyone else slightly perturbed by the sheer amount of fucking weeaboos in the Facebook applicant group?

jjstrand
February 6th, 2013, 03:35
I'm annoyed at my performance on the grammar test. Didn't plan my time at all, and wasted half of the time on my first question (which was convoluted and my response was long-winded). Gutted, forgot the most basic of test answering methods. Didn't finish the form.

jjstrand
February 6th, 2013, 03:41
Didn't really know where else to post this, but as we were on the topic of fangirls... Is anyone else slightly perturbed by the sheer amount of fucking weeaboos in the Facebook applicant group?

Quite. I noticed I must be in a handful who's default and/or cover photos are Japanese-orientated. I can only imagine being obsessed with Japan a no for JET. Too many must become disillusioned when they get there and it isn't the utopia they had imagined, or they aren't accepted with open arms as a Japanese national.

dakyras
February 6th, 2013, 03:42
I'm annoyed at my performance on the grammar test. Didn't plan my time at all, and wasted half of the time on my first question (which was convoluted and my response was long-winded). Gutted, forgot the most basic of test answering methods. Didn't finish the form.

Did you have an essay-style question? Mine were all multiple choice, except for the correcting-a-passage bit.

jjstrand
February 6th, 2013, 03:51
Define the difference between X statement and X statement. It will admit that it could have been answered much faster, but I had to spend a moment thinking about it, and waffled a little in my explanation.
The rest of the sheet seemed simple enough. Just hope that the grammar test doesn't count too much overall..

flamingpriest
February 6th, 2013, 04:20
That was defo the most awkward one on the sheet, and I'm certain my own explanation was piss-poor.

Man I'm gonna be analysing this interview to shreds over the next two months :|

jjstrand
February 6th, 2013, 07:22
If you came out thinking it went well, then you're probably fine. I thought it went well at the time, but since then have focused on the mistakes and where it could have gone better. But really, it was pretty decent.
It's just massively more difficult to forget about it now than it was for the previous wait. Maybe I'm just generally more life-bored at the moment.

tatsuko
February 6th, 2013, 09:10
I have successfully managed to NOT notice the terrible weeaboo-ness of the fb group by barely checking at all. I answered far too many questions AGES ago and stopped looking because I was irritated.

mothy
February 6th, 2013, 09:57

The three constants in life. Death, taxes, and freaks applying for JET

I have successfully managed to NOT notice the terrible weeaboo-ness of the fb group by barely checking at all. I answered far too many questions AGES ago and stopped looking because I was irritated.

Well this is awkward.

stanmarsh
February 6th, 2013, 11:12
Well this is awkward.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lesretrouvailles
February 8th, 2013, 05:02
hey everyone! I also received an interview offer a couple of weeks ago, and I just had my appointment confirmed at the Japanese consulate in Houston. I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their advice regarding the first stages of the application process. I'll also try to remember to post my interview experience when it's all over!

Japanna
February 8th, 2013, 06:15
:O What day/time? I'm interviewing in Houston too!

lesretrouvailles
February 8th, 2013, 06:21
:O What day/time? I'm interviewing in Houston too!
Cool! My appointment's on Thursday at 2pm, what about yours?

Japanna
February 8th, 2013, 06:34
Aw, Friday at 11. I'm a Houstonian but go to school 300 miles away, so I was ready to pounce on that sweet, sweet Friday spot as soon as the emails went out. That way, I can come in on Thursday, interview Friday morning, and have the rest of the weekend back home! As opposed to flying/driving in for less than 24 hours...

Japanna
February 8th, 2013, 06:36
Good luck though! I mean not TOO much luck, we are competing at the same consulate. Maybe just a moderately sized amount of luck.

lesretrouvailles
February 8th, 2013, 06:49
Ah, I'm from the DFW area, so I'm 300 miles away as well, but Thursday just worked best for me since I have Wednesday Friday classes. I'll be making the round-trip drive in a single day - a very long, long day, I'm sure.
Good luck to you too! :)

Kyrajen
February 12th, 2013, 13:24
I've only been a recent lurker (about 2 weeks). I just read up a few posts about applying and interviews. I wanted to say thanks to those in this forum for the sound advice. I did end up getting an interview in the Chicago consulate on February 20th. I'm definitely excited. While I'm obviously competing for the same set of positions, I honestly wish all who got an interview the best of luck!

TheFantasticAsh
February 15th, 2013, 00:02
Got my rejection letter today.

Expected.

Kyrajen
February 21st, 2013, 04:39
Just came back from my interview. While I'm sure I can kick myself in the butt for a few things, I think the interview went pretty smoothly. Thanks to all of those who have posted previously for advice! I eagerly await the results to see if I got in or not.

Kyrajen
February 22nd, 2013, 14:01
I think I surprised my friend in that I didn't have to do a sample lesson. I had to explain a typical American holiday to a Japanese elementary school student, and had to explain a single significant American event. The holiday I was prepared for, but had to think quick on the other. I think, all in all, it was pretty good. I'm trying not to think about how I could have answered some stuff differently as hindsight is a nasty devil.

Here's hoping you ultimately did well! I, too, await the results with anticipation. Regardless of whether or not I'm accepted, it definitely has been a fun and enlightening experience so far.

dakyras
February 22nd, 2013, 19:30
The three constants in life. Death, taxes, and freaks applying for JET

Today has been an absolute whitewash of DESUDESU VLOG weirdos.

Teddles
February 22nd, 2013, 19:40
Today has been an absolute whitewash of DESUDESU VLOG weirdos.
If you're talking about the guy who keeps saying ~~Toukyou~~ instead of Tokyo, HE MAKES ME WANT TO TEAR MY EYES OUT.

dakyras
February 22nd, 2013, 19:51
If you're talking about the guy who keeps saying ~~Toukyou~~ instead of Tokyo, HE MAKES ME WANT TO TEAR MY EYES OUT.

Bingo. Most people don't even bother with the macron (ō), but this is just taking it to an absurd level of smug, inaccurate pedantry.

flamingpriest
February 22nd, 2013, 21:49
Not even gonna discuss the people asking basic questions that can be answered just by reading their interview letter/email, or taking a brief look on the website...

Wasabi
February 23rd, 2013, 01:24
I am on the train coming back from my interview. I think I did well, but we'll see in two months. Also, everyone was super nice, even my interview panel - no good cop bad cop, no sample lesson, not even explain a holiday. I couldn't really do anything for the read Japanese text portion, but I knew as much going into it.

Paper Moon
February 24th, 2013, 02:40
I had my interview in Miami and I think it went pretty well. I was surprised when I was asked to teach a sample lesson about a Jewish holiday (I had prepared to teach Halloween or possibly the Hokey Pokey if asked to teach an American song), so I am worried that my sample lesson did not go over so well. I think that my lesson was pretty boring, which is disappointing, because one of my strengths is that I am (usually) a pretty darn good teacher.

I think the fact that I was able to stay calm, have a sense of humor (I made the interviewers laugh/smile), and answer the questions in a positive way really worked in my favor. I think I scored points for being open minded too.

Wasabi
February 25th, 2013, 04:59
I was kind of shocked that I didn't get asked more difficult questions. There was one that kind of threw me off, but I did what I could and hopefully it doesn't sink me. I felt like on Friday that if I didn't keep reminding myself that it happened, then it wasn't real. Luckily I have a vacation coming up to focus on and then after that I'll have to find some way to keep myself busy. :)

JJarmuth07
March 1st, 2013, 15:09
I had my interview today. I think it went well. A few of the questions I feel like I rambled and/or did not give a good answer. Nevertheless, I feel like I touched on a good amount of points I prepared on. Reading on the official forms, some people are talking about having to sign a confidentiality agreement. Did anyone experience this, and if so in which interview location? Thanks.

hunterofpeace
March 1st, 2013, 15:18
I had to sign one last year, from Atlanta. I was under the impression that every consulate did this. Guess not?

JJarmuth07
March 1st, 2013, 15:33
I didn't have to. When did have you sign the sheet? After you interviewed? Before?

Thelostistari
March 2nd, 2013, 03:49
JJ, I interviewed yesterday in DC as well and was not given a confidentiality form to sign either. I'm still not planning on sharing all the details (I don't know how much that would help others anyway), but it is good to know I didn't just somehow miss this!

Thelostistari
March 2nd, 2013, 08:19
The only things we needed to bring with us were the voucher and a form of identification. We didn't get an interview packet, just simply a list of reminders, directions to the embassy, and the voucher. I would imagine each office has control over how the interviews are run, but it's interesting that only some locations had their interviewees sign waivers.

Japanna
March 2nd, 2013, 15:45
I didn't get asked to do a sample lesson D: How bad of a sign is that? From the way my interviewers spoke, I had a very strong application, and I'm fairly sure I made a good impression, but I did ramble on a few of the questions...

Paper Moon
March 2nd, 2013, 16:09
I wouldn't worry too much about whether you were asked to do a sample lesson or not. I have read of many instances in which people were accepted into the program without being asked to do a sample lesson. It might be that certain consulates do sample lessons, it might be that people with (or without) substantial teaching experience are given mock lessons, it might be if the interviewers think they need to see how a certain person teachers, or (and it's very possible this is the case) it could be completely random.

Everything you read on the internet, unless it's posted by someone like the Miami Coordinator, is merely conjecture. There are a lot of people saying: "It might be that you get in to the JET program if X" and "No, No, Y is a better indication" and "Duh guys. It's Z. Always Z." But no one really knows.

If you think you did a good job, then don't worry about whether or not you were asked to give a mock lesson. :)

hunterofpeace
March 2nd, 2013, 16:44
I was asked to give an example of an "engaging activity" I'd learned in my Masters program since I mentioned something to that effect in my SOP but nothing so formal as a sample lesson.

Japanna
March 2nd, 2013, 18:22
Thank you :] That eases my mind

Wasabi
March 2nd, 2013, 21:28
Japanna, I was also worried as I wasn't asked for a sample lesson either. I read on some forum or another that not being asked to do the sample lesson meant that they had already decided not to accept you, so I was kind of worried a bit afterward. However, ESID so I'm ok with it. I'm thinking in my case it was because I didn't really have any teaching experience, but they did ask me about tutoring I had done in college.

I'm not sure if anyone else saw or noticed this, but it looked like they were asking me questions from a large packet of standard JET questions. I thought it was kind of strange, as it reminded me of getting interviewed at Target where they have a packet of pre-selected questions to ask you.

mothy
March 3rd, 2013, 00:19
JET appeals to the same pool of applicants as Target.

Kyrajen
March 3rd, 2013, 06:02
There was no confidentiality agreement for me to sign in Chicago, nor the sample lesson. As others have said, I'm hoping it's not a big deal that there was no sample lesson. They did ask me other specific stuff about my time in Japan and what not. I would imagine, as someone else mentioned above, that specific questions or sample lessons depend on what you put on the application. It is likely that the interviewers are testing your responses in the application and how well you think on your feet for random stuff.

Having said the above, this is my first year, and I haven't delved into all the different forums as much as others in preparation. So, take that as you will. In any case, I cannot wait to hear back in the next month or so. If I got in, freaking amazing. If I did not, there are other programs and next year.

ChasingTheSun
March 26th, 2013, 03:53
Was anyone else asked completely generic interview questions that made you doubt if the interviewers even looked at your application beforehand?

Kyrajen
March 26th, 2013, 04:21
The impression I got when I walked into my interview was that the interviewers were just then looking at my documents. I think I remember reading others say that seemed to be the case, also. I'm sure a veteran here would have more insight for you.

ChasingTheSun
March 26th, 2013, 04:32
I spoke with my friends after we all had our interview and without getting into exact details, my friends all had incredibly specific questions that referenced their applications.

hunterofpeace
March 26th, 2013, 09:24
Eh... could be they just got lazy. Could be your application was generic. I wouldn't think about it too much at this point. Not much that you can do. You want do something more productive than worry about things you can't change. Go to the gym. Take a walk. Volunteer. Do anything but freak about an interview when they've probably already decided who's going at this point.

coop52
March 26th, 2013, 09:33
I got asked a couple of generic questions, and I got shortlisted. Don't worry too much about it. What's done is done.

ChasingTheSun
March 27th, 2013, 01:56
Thanks coop. That makes me feel better. :)

Wasabi
March 30th, 2013, 23:31
I think it could also come down to the interview panel. I've come across some who hold the idea that your personality and attitude are what's important and that your prior experiences can only get one so far in a job. I've also seen the opposite. I know in my case, I didn't have a lot of relevant experience for them to go off of, so I wasn't so surprised about getting more general questions. I made sure to reference applicable experiences in my answers when possible - for example, I spoke about my time tutoring in college and then got one or two short follow up questions related to that.

Generally I've been pretty relaxed about the wait, but as we approach April 1 it's becoming tough. In my head, worst cast scenario is that I get a rejection e-mail while I'm at work and have to suffer through the rest of the day trying to act cool. From past years it looks like they won't let us know until about April 10, but since they e-mailed us a few days early for interviews I'm wondering if they're just running early all around this year.

dakyras
March 31st, 2013, 03:38
"Toukyou" is a fucking nutjob.

jjstrand
March 31st, 2013, 07:19
"Toukyou" is a fucking nutjob.

This seems to be a characteristic generously distributed among this year's JET applicants.

Gizmotech
March 31st, 2013, 07:55
Given it's April and I'm bored, is there any place to see this person's nuttyness?

dakyras
March 31st, 2013, 08:22
PM'd you, for the lulz.

hunterofpeace
March 31st, 2013, 18:50
Given that it's April and EVERYONE is bored, can you post it here?

Kyrajen
March 31st, 2013, 23:00
Haha, agreement with hunterofpeace. Something to follow up on while waiting these final days for a response.

dakyras
April 1st, 2013, 01:24

mothy
April 1st, 2013, 03:00
This seems to be a characteristic generously distributed among JET applicants.

I think this is what you meant.

Teddles
April 1st, 2013, 19:45

Just join the JET 2013 applicants group on FB and despair.

Kyrajen
April 3rd, 2013, 06:54
I'm from Chicago, and my acceptance letter was in my email when I came home. Hopefully other consulates are rolling out their acceptance letters! Congratulations to all that are accepted!

wag1
April 3rd, 2013, 09:16
I'm from Chicago, and my acceptance letter was in my email when I came home. Hopefully other consulates are rolling out their acceptance letters! Congratulations to all that are accepted!

Well done dude!

ffffff
April 3rd, 2013, 09:40
I deliberately avoided joining any JET forums when I was still an applicant so I wouldn't ask too many questions about the interview, but I got my acceptance letter today, so hi everyone. Now I can ask dumb questions about teaching instead.

Wasabi
April 3rd, 2013, 10:00
I'm an alternate. Commence indeterminate period of (more) waiting, woo!

Congratulations to those shortlisted. I held out on adding my application status and progress for a long time for fear that I would jinx myself, so I understand where you come from 'fffff'.

wag1
April 3rd, 2013, 11:37
Unluck you're an alt, but there's still a chance you'll get on.

Good luck UK applicants.. and please stay for one year only - i want your place(s)!

DickForce
April 3rd, 2013, 16:36
does it make me a bad person that I'm anticipating ~Toukyou~kun getting rejected with greater enthusiasm than my alternate getting upgraydded?

I mean jesus, there were only 10 placements in ~Toukyou~ last year, what does he actually think is going to happen

flamingpriest
April 3rd, 2013, 19:08
Congrats you guys. UK letters will possibly start arriving tomorrow, if I'm reading into their twitter post correctly :o

Japanna
April 4th, 2013, 11:27
I got shortlisted!! :082: I am so damn OBNOXIOUSLY happy right now. Congrats all, and good luck to those still obsessively checking their email inbox!!

Teishou
April 4th, 2013, 14:22
Yep. Quite obnoxious.

flamingpriest
April 5th, 2013, 02:25
does it make me a bad person that I'm anticipating ~Toukyou~kun getting rejected with greater enthusiasm than my alternate getting upgraydded?
Looks like you're both in the same boat...

jwkelley
April 5th, 2013, 11:48

Then they should lie down and become floorboards.

Kuroda Ishikawa
April 11th, 2013, 11:33
BOE's already know who is coming for the April start date, but were told not to contact anyone until April 15th, so if you signed up for April you'll probably hear from your contracting organization around then. Of course, not every BOE follows the same rules.