PDA

View Full Version : Keep on Japanese / international news

JJarmuth07
January 12th, 2013, 07:12
It's always good to be well read and informed about international affairs/politics, but especially in preparation for the interview I have been watching quite a bit of NHK World (if you don't get it on your provider, it can be streamed online).

During the interview, you will likely get questions about current affairs in Japan and the region. I'm brushing up on the main issues such as:

- Senkaku islands / dispute
- Demographic crisis (huge elder population, young people not marrying and procreating)
- New PM (Abe ) and implications in the Diet
- Public money going towards highway modernization and hurracine-proofing schools as a means to stimulate the economy

- Helping Ini lose his virginity. It's more daunting than the Fukushima cleanup..

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'd like to be as prepared as possible so I can speak at ease on any of these (and more) subjects. Thanks!

Ini
January 12th, 2013, 08:06
Too much, Trolly McTroll

Rz1
January 12th, 2013, 08:07
It's always good to be well read and informed about international affairs/politics, but especially in preparation for the interview I have been watching quite a bit of NHK World (if you don't get it on your provider, it can be streamed online).

During the interview, you will likely get questions about current affairs in Japan and the region. I'm brushing up on the main issues such as:

- Senkaku islands / dispute
- Demographic crisis (huge elder population, young people not marrying and procreating)
- New PM (Noda) and implications in the Diet
- Public money going towards highway modernization and hurracine-proofing schools as a means to stimulate the economy

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'd like to be as prepared as possible so I can speak at ease on any of these (and more) subjects. Thanks!

Noda isn't the current PM.

Page
January 12th, 2013, 08:08
I hope you answer Noda in the interview.

In all honesty, though, you MAY get asked on talk on one topic, but you might not, either. The main general topics on the news ATM are:

- Abe's plans to kickstart the economy
- Bullying (most recent was a kid slapped around by his basketball coach who then commited suicide)
- Bid for the Tokyo Olympics
- Islands (both Korean and Chinese disputes, more focus on China)
- Fukushima cleanup being handled poorly
- It's not as much in the news now but Yamanaka's Nobel Prize was big news in 2012

Of course I can't say for sure but I watch the news almost every morning/night and haven't seen much (tbh anything) about the hurricane proofing.

JJarmuth07
January 12th, 2013, 08:20
Wow! Yes I can't believe I mis spoke. Either way, the current Pm (Abe). And as for Ini - get a life kid.

Teishou
January 12th, 2013, 12:59
You get a life.

My gosh, you COULD brush up on your international/Japanese news, or you could just not worry about it.

I initially attempted for all of a day, said screw it and didn't bother. Wasn't asked a single question concerning news, nor history, nor anything not concerning my goals/SoP.

Ini
January 14th, 2013, 00:17
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Stop trolling

Tyr
January 16th, 2013, 09:54
I revised that stuff like crazy before my interview.
Didn't get asked anything at all.
Nothing about what are the islands of Japan, who is the prime minister or anything. It was all just about me, how I'd react to different situations, etc....

word
January 16th, 2013, 11:07
Yep, I got absolutely none of that, either. I doubt it's important unless your major is East Asian Studies or something like that.

jjstrand
January 16th, 2013, 16:34
Yeah, the impression I get is you'll likely only get asked questions about things like geography or politics if it's alluded to in your application. I didn't get anything of the sort.
Though knowing the basics and keeping an eye on the news is never a bad idea, I just didn't, and wouldn't needed to have done, extensive research on those subjects.

Beer Baron
January 22nd, 2013, 16:50
:o
Show your interest in general Japan topics, but you're not expected to be the next politician. The ALT position is to be an assistant language teacher - ie. stand beside a main teacher and help with how words are pronounced. You'll also be expected to take part in culture classes etc.

If you can demonstrate you're not absolutely isolated from what's happening in Japan (ie. you've heard about the earthquake/Fukushima disaster and the constantly changing PMs), you'll be fine.

In my interview in 2004, they simply asked "So, what is currently in the news regarding Japan?". That was it.

Lianwen
January 22nd, 2013, 22:24
Yep, I got absolutely none of that, either. I doubt it's important unless your major is East Asian Studies or something like that.

That was my major, and the most difficult question I had thrown at me was, "What does Japanese culture mean to you." None of this what's in the news stuff (I had no idea, anyway).

hunterofpeace
January 23rd, 2013, 09:33
My friend from South Africa got asked to name the last few (not sure how many) prime ministers. She answered that she specialized in science and didn't care about politics. So they asked her which Japanese scientists won Nobel prizes for science that year. Some consulates are tougher than others. But she ended up brushing it off with something about how she wasn't good with names and was able to name a few categories in which Japanese people had won. I don't think most consulates ask such questions. Mine didn't try to trip me up at all... just asked stuff related to my SOP and whether or not I'd be ok being asked to serve tea because I was a female. No big.

coop52
January 23rd, 2013, 09:37
I got asked the tea question and what 3 items I'd bring to share my culture. No big deal. One of my sorority sisters interviewed the year before me and got surprised with being asked to do a mock lesson. She failed hilariously, which is probably for the best because she's a bitch who hates kids.

Lianwen
January 23rd, 2013, 09:41
Oh, yeah, the mock lesson is a big one for those going through NYC. Make sure to have something prepared just in case.

Gizmotech
January 23rd, 2013, 09:52
I don't remember being asked a single question about Japan other than adaptation questions. Most of my stuff was focused around teaching and methodology, adaptation, and my demo lesson.

LittleBlueDragonfly
January 23rd, 2013, 10:58
The demo lesson is the one thing that I'm worried about the most, I doubt i'll bother much with news (if I get an interview, that is)

mothy
January 23rd, 2013, 13:10
If your consulate knows what they're doing there will be a mock lesson or some sort of discussion of education, since you're going there to teach (unless you're a CIR in which case you're going there to be pointless) and there won't be any stupid questions about current events because it doesn't matter and all the current events will no longer be current events by the time you're in Japan. Except for the Japanese hating Chinese people. That will always be current.