PDA

View Full Version : Japanese children's books

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 01:26
Looking for really simple books in hiragana or katakana that Japanese children read when they are learning to read.
Simple books like, "The cat sat on the mat"
Been searching the web but everything am finding is for older kids.

Any titles at all would help me out :)

notjim
January 25th, 2013, 08:36
Just to clarify, you want them to learn to read Japanese? As in ねこがマットにすわっている。

Or are you trying to teach English in terrifying katakana?

Or is it too early for my brain to work?

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 09:26
Oh sorry should have been clearer! I want to learn japanese! I know the hiragana and katakana so want to start reading simple things!

notjim
January 25th, 2013, 09:47
Hmm, comics are great. Something like Doraemon will have furigana for almost all the Kanji, and there are hundreds (thousands, billions?) of issues. I read it with my students sometimes.

I've heard One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Evangelion, Dragon Ball have furigana, though you'd have to check as I've never read them myself. Man I'm bad at studying Japanese.

As far as books, anything that is a fairy tale is a good start. I've seen ももたろ (Momotaro) with furigana countless times. Try googling むかしばなし (Mukashi Banashi). You can find a bunch online for free, and use Rikaichan if you can't find it with furigana.

coop52
January 25th, 2013, 09:58
Comics for little kids, like Doraemon, are pretty good. Just be prepared for lots of slang and casual speech.

MJjunkie86
January 25th, 2013, 19:46
Ok thank you guys!
I shall check them out and hopefully my reading will improve :)

jwkelley
February 3rd, 2014, 12:15
There is a series called 10 minute stories broken down into grade levels. They are really good.
Plus you get 150 pages of stories for 500 yen.

Ini
February 3rd, 2014, 12:21
Go into any book store and look at the books for preschoolers

jwkelley
February 3rd, 2014, 12:44
You have to be a little careful with kids book though. Many kids book do weird word play. You'll basically be learning strange word play with little functional use.

hypatia
February 6th, 2014, 03:00
I would second the advice of many of the above regarding caution with kids books.

I found this list to be a pretty good starting place: Japanese Reading Practice For Beginners (http://www.tofugu.com/2012/08/28/japanese-reading-practice-for-beginners/)

Also, this site: Beginner Level | チョコチョコ (http://chokochoko.wordpress.com/the-great-library/beginner-level/)

Jiggit
February 6th, 2014, 10:17
I agree. Kids books will be no more interesting or helpful than textbook readig exercises. If you want to start reading then at least go with shounen manga level stuff. Almost all the kanji will have furigana, the language will be fairly natural and the story will hopefully be interesting enough to keep you going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

zombiekelly
February 6th, 2014, 20:21
I actually dislike using small children's books to learn; the really young ones are only kana, so it's actually harder to figure out sometimes which word they mean because there's no kanji for context.

therealwindycity
February 6th, 2014, 21:49
I actually dislike using small children's books to learn; the really young ones are only kana, so it's actually harder to figure out sometimes which word they mean because there's no kanji for context.

Yep - even though most Japanese learners' initial response to kanji is "no god whyyyy" it's much harder to read a long string of just kana.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
April 8th, 2014, 16:42
I've been doing roughly the same thing to help me with reading comprehension (when I can be bothered, which isn't very often), and I found a few japanese versions of american / english classics that use simple kanji as well as kana. The Very Hungry Caterpillar bought back some memories.

ihatefall
April 8th, 2014, 17:20
I am not a big comic fan but ok I liked a lot at first was よつばと it has the furigana and Yotsuba often repeats everything. She reminded me of the kids I was teaching at the time. Plus you'll learn so slang.....it's it's pretty funny.

I would focus on slice of life comics rather than fantasy at first. Learning phrases like, "first period is math class" will be far more useful than, " he ate the rubber fruit and now he is able to punch the big boob'd lady with the strange name on the imaginary island on a fake ocean"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatefall
April 8th, 2014, 18:40
Also there is an iPad only app (no iPhone) called ComicFlow that is really good. You can zoom in to see the furigana etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randomgirl
June 13th, 2014, 08:25
What grade level is yotsuba meant for - would it be something I could try reading to my kindergartener? Thx!

coop52
June 13th, 2014, 08:30
Yotsubato is a manga for young men. It's still probably ok for a little kid.

Randomgirl
June 13th, 2014, 08:38
Oh! I thought it was about a little girl, thanks!

coop52
June 13th, 2014, 08:41
It is.

uthinkimlost?
June 13th, 2014, 09:25

Think Shrek-style double meanings.

I don't remember any nasty content, just word play. Pretty funny, really.

Jiggit
June 13th, 2014, 09:36
Yotsubato is a manga for young men. It's still probably ok for a little kid.

It is.

Because Japan.

coop52
June 13th, 2014, 09:37
Gotta have that moe