PDA

View Full Version : Interac Phone Interview

Selphy
February 7th, 2013, 06:10
I submitted my application and got a call today from Interac. They just asked the things everyone on here said they would, like living in rural okay? Willing to drive a car? And why I want to work in Japan or as an ALT.

Then I was told that recruitment hasn't started and they will give me a call again in a couple weeks when it starts (apparently it is at the end of the month). I was told that I would get a call where I could schedule a date for the phone interview and would be told then what to prepare.

I wanted to ask here in advance though what to expect during the phone interview? And how should I prepare?

mirrormirror
February 7th, 2013, 11:23
The phone interview is a short, no nonsense interview. They'll ask you typical interview questions like "why do you want to teach?", "why do you want to teach in Japan?", "what experience do you have?", etc. They'll also ask you about your feelings on rural placement, driving, and if you're aware of how much money you'll need to bring with you.

There won't be any real discussion or back and forth between you and the person on the phone so that can be a little nerve wracking. Just do your best to answer honestly (don't make things up because they are recording your answers and you're going to be asked these questions again later on if you make it to the seminar) and try not to ramble if there's an extended pause after you're done talking.

I had made up a list of possible questions they might ask the night before with bullets for important points I wanted to hit for my answers. I kept that in front of me during the interview and it helped me to keep my focus and answer the questions without having to stop and think about the question too long.

TAmember2003
February 8th, 2013, 01:41
I submitted my application and got a call today from Interac. They just asked the things everyone on here said they would, like living in rural okay? Willing to drive a car? And why I want to work in Japan or as an ALT.

Then I was told that recruitment hasn't started and they will give me a call again in a couple weeks when it starts (apparently it is at the end of the month). I was told that I would get a call where I could schedule a date for the phone interview and would be told then what to prepare.

I wanted to ask here in advance though what to expect during the phone interview? And how should I prepare?

I was in the same situation as you. When I applied but they called and told me that I was early and they just wanted to keep me in loop. So when the second phone call came around it was pretty much the same phone call, lol.
They asked the same questions, it just seemed this time the person was writing my answers down. (I was waiting for them to talk some more). Lol..

People had told me their phone interview was about 10-15 minutes, but mine was less then 5 minutes. I really do think it was because this was technically my 2nd phone call... the first one just wasn't official.

If they liked you this time around, then you shouldnt have a problem the 2nd time. Its more of a "Are you still interested, cool. Lets move you to the interview stage."

Good luck!

Sakurahoshi
February 8th, 2013, 03:18
My interview was about 20 mins. They spent most of the time checking I was aware of things, like the financial outlay, and the prospect of a rural placement, whether or not I had a driving licence etc. Then they asked me a couple of questions like 'why Japan', 'why English teaching'... nothing unexpected. Then the next day I got a seminar invitation for the following week. I was surprised at how fast everything moved!