PDA

View Full Version : Cooking in the Classroom

BambooTelegraph
February 19th, 2013, 15:52
Hello Cooking Enthusiasts!

I've done a few American cultural activities where we cook during English class. So far, we've made Hamburgers, Apple Pies, Flan (Filipino-American style), and Brownies, all with varying amounts of success. All of the classes have been pretty fun so far, but I really want to try something else (perhaps fortune cookies is on the horizon, with students making their own fortunes).

Does anyone have any good ideas or simple recipes that can be reproduced in a class period or two?

Thanks!

notjim
February 19th, 2013, 15:58
Haven't done it myself, but I've heard people having amazing success with Tacos.

BambooTelegraph
February 19th, 2013, 16:07
Haven't done it myself, but I've heard people having amazing success with Tacos.

That's a great idea. Are shells and tortillas something that can be acquired easily though?

Ini
February 19th, 2013, 16:08
chicken tikka masala

Gizmotech
February 19th, 2013, 16:09
Burritos / Wraps of any kind
Pies (you've already done apple... now explore the world of PIE!)
Apple crisp/crumble
Pretty much any desert ever.
Any type of cheese based dish (Like a thick alfredo pasta for instance)

If you're from the southern states, try making something mexican with them like Notjim suggested.

Ini
February 19th, 2013, 16:10
lasagne

lilyanphino
February 19th, 2013, 16:51
One of my friends made rice crispy treats with her English club with some success using the Coco Crispies you can find in stores.

coop52
February 20th, 2013, 08:17
Sandwiches don't take too long. PB&J takes only a few minutes, so you could make those and something else. Cornbread's really easy and quick, too. You can get cornmeal from Amazon.

Cytrix
February 20th, 2013, 08:57
Chocolate self-saucing pudding!

Wasabi
February 20th, 2013, 09:21
Breakfast items like pancakes, muffins, or french toast. Also, grilled cheese or macaroni and cheese.

notjim
February 20th, 2013, 10:45
That's a great idea. Are shells and tortillas something that can be acquired easily though?

I have seen hard shells at foreign food stores before, but if you were really dedicated you could make your own tortillas, it isn't too hard.

BambooTelegraph
February 20th, 2013, 11:02
I have seen hard shells at foreign food stores before, but if you were really dedicated you could make your own tortillas, it isn't too hard.

You had my curiousity, but now you have my attention.

notjim
February 20th, 2013, 12:05
You had my curiousity, but now you have my attention.

Haha, well... off the top of my head tortillas are just flour, baking powder (or is it soda?, pretty sure its powder) and lard. I've never actually looked for lard in a Japanese grocery store, but I assume you can find it? Anyone know? If you have 2 class periods you could make the filling one period and the tortillas the next.

Mexican food is something I clearly miss out here...

therealwindycity
February 20th, 2013, 12:15
If you're going to make tortillas from scratch, it might be better to make them at home, bring them to school, and have the students make the filling. Or at least try making them once or twice beforehand - you don't want your first time trying the recipe to be in class.

coop52
February 20th, 2013, 12:18
Haha, well... off the top of my head tortillas are just flour, baking powder (or is it soda?, pretty sure its powder) and lard. I've never actually looked for lard in a Japanese grocery store, but I assume you can find it? Anyone know? If you have 2 class periods you could make the filling one period and the tortillas the next.

Mexican food is something I clearly miss out here...

My local AEON had small containers of lard hidden away in the area with the cooking oils.

notjim
February 20th, 2013, 12:18
If you're going to make tortillas from scratch, it might be better to make them at home, bring them to school, and have the students make the filling. Or at least try making them once or twice beforehand - you don't want your first time trying the recipe to be in class.

Spoken like someone who has clearly burned their share of tortillas.

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2013, 12:35
I might not try tortillas with a class, but with an English club? Why not. Have the fun is making a mess and learning.

therealwindycity
February 20th, 2013, 12:39
Spoken like someone who has clearly burned their share of tortillas.

And pudding and bread and cookies ...

You can get tortillas/tortilla shells at Costco if there's one nearby.

mothy
February 21st, 2013, 01:18
If you live in a big city or near a big city it should be no problem to find whatever you need for tacos. I make them quite often.

agrilledfish
February 21st, 2013, 13:21
In my BFI you can only get hard shell tacos in a big city two hours away, and flour tortillas are nigh-impossible. Fortunately it's easy to make them, you just need flour and olive oil. It's pretty difficult to screw them up, the worst that could happen is cooking them too long, in which case they get too crispy to fold easily.

RandomActsof
October 26th, 2013, 17:53
If the area you're from has a regional specialty (mine is apples and salmon, among other things), try out a recipe using it as a main ingredient - It's a great way to introduce information about your area's agriculture/commerce. You could even go one step further and try to combine both you and your school's regional specialties~

wicket
October 27th, 2013, 22:02
wow - i had to practically suck my principal's principals to get permission to use the school kitchen with students - you guys make it sound so easy.
we made meat pies and washed them down with tim tam slams.