PDA

View Full Version : Contract vs School

April 10th, 2013, 08:47
Long time no post.

So, I have a question about my contract requirements vs my school's demands.

At the start of the school year, my JTE (probably at the request of the staff) wants me in at 8:15 to be there for the morning meeting that has absolutely nothing to do with me. I just tune it out since no one bothers to explain anything important anyway.

My contract states that I need to be at work at 8:30, the time I've been coming in since like the beginning of time. I talked about it to my sup once but he apparently didn't like the idea of me driving to work outside the contract.

Anyway, question: Do I come to work at what time my base school wants so I can sit pretty during meetings or do I abide by my contract?

If I should abide the contract, how do I break it to my JTE. She got pissed that I came in at 8:30 this morning (and in result didn't tell me to follow her to class, so I'm being punished by sitting in the teacher's room:popcorn:).

coop52
April 10th, 2013, 08:53
Who's going to make your life worse if you don't do what they want-your sup or JTE?

therealwindycity
April 10th, 2013, 08:54
I would just go ahead and come in at 8:15 ... regardless of what your contract says having a smooth relationship with your JTEs will make your life a lot easier, and I don't think that coming in 15 minutes earlier is really enough of a time difference to be considered driving off contract hours. If it really bothers you to work a little longer than your contract hours, then maybe you could arrange to leave that school 15 minutes earlier?

agrilledfish
April 10th, 2013, 08:59
Yeah, I would just go in at 8:15.

She got pissed that I came in at 8:30 this morning (and in result didn't tell me to follow her to class, so I'm being punished by sitting in the teacher's room:popcorn:).
That's pretty ridiculous.

April 10th, 2013, 09:01
Who's going to make your life worse if you don't do what they want-your sup or JTE?

Welp, good question. I have no clue.

I would just go ahead and come in at 8:15 ... regardless of what your contract says having a smooth relationship with your JTEs will make your life a lot easier, and I don't think that coming in 15 minutes earlier is really enough of a time difference to be considered driving off contract hours. If it really bothers you to work a little longer than your contract hours, then maybe you could arrange to leave that school 15 minutes earlier?

The 15 minutes isn't an issue. I'm usually in the parking lot by 8:15 ~ 8:20 and in the teachers room by 8:20 ~ 8:25. The issue is rather sup told me the contract would need to be rewritten so that the times I'm putting down on my mileage and work report won't conflict with anything (and by the sounds of it, it was something he just didn't want to bother with). CYA I guess. Easy solution probs would be to lie on my paperwork.

Yeah, I would just go in at 8:15.

That's pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, she's pretty cool but if there's one thing she can't stand is when I don't come in at 8:15. IDKY but its like, her pet peeve. So she'll do things like this.

Ini
April 10th, 2013, 09:02
If you are on the JET program then turn up at 8:15, an extra 15 minutes wont kill you.
If you work for a dispatch company do exactly as your contract says because fuck those guys, they are always trying to get their employees to do stuff they aren't contracted to do.

April 10th, 2013, 09:09
If you are on the JET program then turn up at 8:15, an extra 15 minutes wont kill you.
If you work for a dispatch company do exactly as your contract says because fuck those guys, they are always trying to get their employees to do stuff they aren't contracted to do.

Good point.

Getting to work :15 earlier isn't the issue (i would just leave the apartment 5 min earlier to get to work 'on time') it's more of the BoE paper trail that my sup was passive-aggressively warning/complaining to me about.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. It's well appreciated :)

BeckyJones
April 10th, 2013, 10:18
do what the school wants

Ini
April 10th, 2013, 10:25
Talk to the VP. Do what your sup and VP want. Your JTE has about as much power as the tea lady when it comes to telling you what to do.

MJN
April 10th, 2013, 10:59
Do what the contract says

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2013, 11:49
Talk to your Supervisor and VP. Tell them that your contract says 830, and you'll be hereon time. If they want you there earlier, you get to leave earlier. Treat it like any other adult contract and discuss and negotiate about it.

Like Ini said, ignore the JTE.

Prospective
April 10th, 2013, 13:26
This might sound like a dumb question, but does your JTE know your contracted times?

I actually found that a lot of the JTEs I work with didn't realise my work hours are different to theirs.

I'd do what your contract and supervisor say, but when mentioning to your JTE blame it on your contract and act like you're on her side. "I know, it's horrible, but my contract says this and the BoE won't rewrite my contract. D: orz"

Whenever I do something contractual that might annoy my JTEs I just blame it on kencho.

Kuroda Ishikawa
April 10th, 2013, 13:44
Yeah, she's pretty cool but if there's one thing she can't stand is when I don't come in at 8:15. IDKY but its like, her pet peeve. So she'll do things like this.

That's probably because all the other teachers have to be there on time or get reamed by the principle. I imagine it's like if you have an office where one person is the child of the owner and gets a lot of special treatment. In any case, if you say you're going to arrive at 8:15, it's on you to arrive at 8:15. If you can't do that then you're better off sticking to 8:30.

April 10th, 2013, 13:44
Good question. I highly doubt that she knows the contents of my contract. If she did, I don't think she would be pressed for me to be there by 8:15. Last school year she brought it up once but stopped caring. But we got a new principal so maybe its his deal or w/e (last principal locked himself up in his office, this new guy is all up in the teacher's room).

I'll talk to my sup again to see if he's still gonna give me the それはちょっと... or change up and say 大丈夫. If not, I'll talk to the JTE and VP and and tell them the BoE doesn't want me working out of the contract stipulations cause of paperwork and see what they're gonna do from there. They're really picky about paperwork here, I don't wanna have any problems... meh.

Thanks guys :) Great help as always.

That's probably because all the other teachers have to be there on time or get reamed by the principle. I imagine it's like if you have an office where one person is the child of the owner and gets a lot of special treatment. In any case, if you say you're going to arrive at 8:15, it's on you to arrive at 8:15. If you can't do that then you're better off sticking to 8:30.

Auxiliary staff arrives at 8:30. That would be ALT, the special needs aid, and the other non-important staff members. So me and the special needs aid, last year, would always get through the door at the same time. There was no problems last year... just now this year there's an issue with 8:30 vs 8:15. I never volunteered to come in at anytime. I'm following my contract, its the JTE that wants me in earlier which is against my contract.

It's all a matter of five minutes, it's not a big deal to me. It's the BoE/Contract vs School and not being an asshole and screwing my work relations since its all ~special snowflake~ and stuff.

I have a feeling its probably the new principal that wants everyone in at 8:15 though and maybe getting on her about it.

MJN
April 10th, 2013, 14:44
I've had staff comment on the "My contract ends at 4.45 but I stay until 7, you should stay longer too" thing to which I ignore them and leave when my contract tells me to leave. If I'm in early I leave early and late, I leave late. There doesn't seem to be a problem. Your JTE really has the power of a wet blanket when it comes to hindering your escape, but your (vice-)Principal and contracting organisation can make stuff difficult.

That being said there are times I'll gladly stay late if requested to for a specific purpose, to talk to a JTE or do an after-school help class or something, which I'm happy doing considering sometimes I do leave early if I get the chance. Give and take, it's something a lot of JETs need to learn.

Prospective
April 10th, 2013, 15:06
I've had staff comment on the "My contract ends at 4.45 but I stay until 7, you should stay longer too" thing to which I ignore them and leave when my contract tells me to leave. If I'm in early I leave early and late, I leave late. There doesn't seem to be a problem. Your JTE really has the power of a wet blanket when it comes to hindering your escape, but your (vice-)Principal and contracting organisation can make stuff difficult.

That being said there are times I'll gladly stay late if requested to for a specific purpose, to talk to a JTE or do an after-school help class or something, which I'm happy doing considering sometimes I do leave early if I get the chance. Give and take, it's something a lot of JETs need to learn.

A few teachers have commented about my lack of Japanese work ethic, but I just say, "As an Australian I like to keep a good work-life balance" to which they often say "いいね" and leave it at that :P

Ini
April 10th, 2013, 15:10
A few teachers have commented about my lack of Japanese work ethic, but I just say, "As an Australian I'm allergic to hard work" to which they often say "いいね" and leave it at that :P

indeed

SleazySauce
April 10th, 2013, 15:14
I imagine as soon as you leave a JTE translates that to, "I am not a good employee and will leave early. F you guys and this school."

April 10th, 2013, 17:09
Hahaha ironically enough she wants me to stay after school everyday to deliver english class detention to those deliquent on their home work.

I dont mind. Means im less of a human tape recorder or thr myth of the teachers room. Anyway more stuff to talk to my sup about.

Again, thx guys.

Sent from my ISW11SC using Tapatalk 2

mothy
April 10th, 2013, 17:25
So you're one of those ALTs who complain if they need to show up fifteen minutes early but then say they don't want to be a human tape recorder? Why does Japan let such shit teachers into their schools?

April 10th, 2013, 17:49
Yes. That's exactly right.

mothy
April 11th, 2013, 15:17
Thought so.

MJN
April 12th, 2013, 08:53
Nothing wrong with complaining about nothing. keeps people getting driven insane.

April 12th, 2013, 14:54
Nothing wrong with complaining about nothing. keeps people getting driven insane.

"Bitching because I can."

Sounds like an ALT motto to me.

mothy
April 17th, 2013, 14:14

This is why I don't like JETs.

MJN
April 17th, 2013, 15:30
This is why I don't like JETs.

This is why I don't like to try and convey sarcasm with text as the sole medium.

It always manages to work so well.

mothy
April 17th, 2013, 23:42
Even if it doesn't apply to you it applies to 99% of JETs so my statement still stands.

MJN
April 18th, 2013, 09:14
I tried informing official once that most JETs are whining incompetent idiots that do nothing but complain and got a warning on my account :(

Ziggy
April 18th, 2013, 12:34
Get you hands on a copy of your contract, show it to your JTE, tell her that`s the way things are and to deal with it. Your contract should be interpreted literally and your office should respect it.

If it really bothers her, perhaps you could negotiate getting off an hour early on Friday or during the weekly staff meeting with your principal or vice principal.

Any time that you spend outside of your workplace is your choice. It is your choice to arrive earlier or leave later than your hours. If you stay at school outside of your hours to help students prepare for interviews or contests, that is really nice of you. However, you should not be expected to work outside of your hours. That is your choice. If they require you to stay later for some sort of event or meeting, they you should receive daikyu.

JadedSpades
April 19th, 2013, 15:25
I had similar thing happen to me in December. My VP sat me down and scolded me for a good solid ten minutes about how I was late everyday. Our morning meetings start at 8:10 and I would walk in the door somewhere around 8:11-8:15...traffic here is odd and I have to leave 10 min eariler to make that single minute.
Then later when I was asking for some time off I showed my VP my contract to explain the special time off JETs in my prefecture get. He looked at the contract and apologized for saying I was late, and told me to start coming in at 8:30 like my contract says. And was now impressed that I had been coming in early.
The morning meetings thing seems to be a weird thing. Some schools are stricter about it than others.
I think you've been getting good advice. Show the contract, mention the sups opinion and the paperwork and see what happens. Hopefully you don't have to keep showing up to the meetings

Ini
April 19th, 2013, 15:29
just count yourselves lucky you dont have to stand outside come rain or shine at 7:30 every morning on "school patrol"

JadedSpades
April 19th, 2013, 15:48
It's true. It's really not so bad, it was just frustrating to be scolded when I was never told to come to the meetings in the first place.

Jiggit
April 19th, 2013, 15:55
This thread is full of Americans who apparently decided to come to another country so they could shove their petty self-righteousness down another culture's throat.

therealwindycity
April 19th, 2013, 15:58
This thread is full of Americans who apparently decided to come to another country so they could shove their petty self-righteousness down another culture's throat.

Complaining about Americans? Groundbreaking

Ini
April 19th, 2013, 16:00
moaning about being asked to do something incredibly simple you aren't specifically contracted for? Groundbreaking

Jiggit
April 19th, 2013, 16:01
Complaining about Americans? Groundbreaking

Until the last.

mothy
April 19th, 2013, 17:56

Troll tip: They aren't all Americans. Use nationality insults in the right place.

Jiggit
April 19th, 2013, 18:16
accusing someone of being an American isn't an insult?

Ini
April 19th, 2013, 18:37
I've killed men for less.

mothy
April 19th, 2013, 21:20
Killing people on account of an insult? Quit being so American.

Kuroda Ishikawa
April 23rd, 2013, 11:41
There is a strong correlation between the degree to which someone will claim to respect other cultures and hold a desire to experience them in depth, and the degree to which they will complain bitterly about having to actually live & work within that culture.

StressMathers
April 23rd, 2013, 23:20
I'll tell you exactly what to do. Now, this will take a little dedication on your part, but the outcome will be worth it. Find out what time your JTE comes in and show up before him/her. Your JTE WILL start showing up earlier. When this happens just keep showing up 10 minutes beforehand and give him/her the same look that they give you...preferably glance at a clock first. Probably your Kacho sensei is the first in? Well, it doesn't really matter. It will be soon spread that you are showing up before your supervisor. It doesn't matter what you do, just look like your doing work. Finally, sit back and enjoy the show.

coop52
April 24th, 2013, 07:58
Doesn't work for me. I'm one of the first teachers here everyday, thanks to my train schedule, and no one gives a shit.

Page
April 24th, 2013, 08:34
If you're ever filling out nenkyuu take a look at the other teachers hours for a day of nenkyuu. At my school teachers technically start at 8:15 but dont throw little sht fits about coming in earlier, stop being man-children.

To the OP: if your BOE has qualms about ALTs coming in earlier have your BOE talk to your school directly but don't be surprised if it ends in sour feelings all around.

MJN
April 24th, 2013, 11:52
To the OP: if your BOE has qualms about ALTs coming in earlier have your BOE talk to your school directly but don't be surprised if it ends in sour feelings all around.

Probably be being a complete arsewank but when people talk about sour feeling with their BOE I just want to pull out loads of tiny violins and dance.

Kuroda Ishikawa
April 26th, 2013, 13:22
The key to happiness is to learn that asking for permission is always a mistake.

Jiggit
April 26th, 2013, 13:47
The key to happiness is to learn that asking for permission is always a mistake.

Amen, brutha!