PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2013

forgetmenots
April 12th, 2013, 05:41
I know it's a bit early, but since I got my acceptance e-mail back in February(I was honestly surprised they group interviewed me so early in the hiring period XD I think it might have even been before the official hiring period). I've been rather wondering how many others have been accepted yet and are just waiting for to be contacted again (which I was told would be in May) or who are still getting interviewed and hoping to get hired.

It's of course still a LONG time till actual placements, but I thought it'd be nice to gather up people who are going over in mid-year time August/September.

And of course, I have the question for all of you going over soon: After they offer you employment and you accept, what was the next thing they sent out for you to do or what about (so pretty much what I'll be looking for in May)?

The waiting game is definitely the hardest part of all of this in my opinion. Though of course it doesn't help that my Dad keeps asking me "Have they sent you more information?" and when I answer "May, Dad, May" he gets this worried 'I don't like this long silence' face ~_~.

Boots
April 14th, 2013, 03:48
Hi I'll be going in August too :) I got accepted back in Feb too, it seems like forever ago! I received my crb application this week, just waiting on some paperwork before I can send it back. I am also have the same daily conversation with my dad 'heard anything?' 'May!' 4 months eek!

Selphy
April 24th, 2013, 08:36
At least you guys know you'll be going. It's annoying waiting to see if I've been accepted or rejected. My interview was on the 30th of last month so I've just been twiddling my thumbs the entire time. One of my fellow interviewees added me on facebook and told me he got rejected maybe a week ago. So I'm feeling like it might be a good thing I haven't gotten any email yet but it still sucks.

tester
April 25th, 2013, 00:41
Same here except even worse as I had my interview in early March...

forgetmenots
April 26th, 2013, 11:34
Yay! Replies~ I was informed pretty quickly let's see. Group interview was January 17th, All information was sent out January 25th, and I got my acceptance e-mail on February 3rd. However since I don't think they were doing many interviews or anything at the time, that might have a lot to do with it.

You guys got the "We sent it out" e-mail right? Hopefully you guys get in.

The problem for me now is less OH MY GOD AM I GOING TO GET IT? and more of my Dad giving me looks not entirely sure whether he trusts that I really got the job or not XD May will be here in about a week now though, so I'm going to be checking my e-mail like crazy. I really need to start studying up my Japanese again, because I'm hoping they have me do the testing for it. *crosses fingers*

zombiekelly
April 26th, 2013, 20:24
Keep checking your spam folder.

But they give everyone the Japanese test. You get the extra bonus if you're considered intermediate-advanced. The test is easy to take, since it's all reading and listening, but if you score high enough someone from the office will call you and talk to you in Japanese.

mothy
April 26th, 2013, 23:52
Yay! Replies~ I was informed pretty quickly let's see. Group interview was January 17th, All information was sent out January 25th, and I got my acceptance e-mail on February 3rd. However since I don't think they were doing many interviews or anything at the time, that might have a lot to do with it.

You guys got the "We sent it out" e-mail right? Hopefully you guys get in.

The problem for me now is less OH MY GOD AM I GOING TO GET IT? and more of my Dad giving me looks not entirely sure whether he trusts that I really got the job or not XD May will be here in about a week now though, so I'm going to be checking my e-mail like crazy. I really need to start studying up my Japanese again, because I'm hoping they have me do the testing for it. *crosses fingers*

From St. Louis Missouri and "my Dad giving me looks" makes me feel like I should call authorities.

Gizmotech
April 28th, 2013, 00:27
From St. Louis Missouri and "my Dad giving me looks" makes me feel like I should call authorities.

be nice.... just because they sound weird doesn't mean they aren't people too.

forgetmenots
May 2nd, 2013, 12:48
I'm highly amused by the fact that I was told to wait until May, and indeed as soon as they possibly could in May (today) they have sent me all the CoE application paperwork. It's nice to progress more on this.

vero
May 15th, 2013, 07:29
I also got my acceptance letter in February, and I just got an email saying they received my CoE paperwork which I sent last week. Hopefully things move along a bit quicker now. The waiting is a killer! I'm just worried about getting an official date for training later in the summer because flight prices keep going up as August approaches. A couples of months notice would be nice in order to ensure economical travel expenses.

What city did you guys Interview at?

zombiekelly
May 15th, 2013, 19:00
Couple months, LOL. Try one. I had a good idea of the date, but they won't confirm until they feel like it, which usually ends up exactly a month before arrival. I actually bumped my ticket up to premium because at that point, it wasn't much more and there was a better selection of flights.

vero
May 16th, 2013, 16:14
Ahh I was really hoping it wasn't going to be something like that, but after this whole process I kind of expected it.

forgetmenots
May 17th, 2013, 14:28
I also got my acceptance letter in February, and I just got an email saying they received my CoE paperwork which I sent last week. Hopefully things move along a bit quicker now. The waiting is a killer! I'm just worried about getting an official date for training later in the summer because flight prices keep going up as August approaches. A couples of months notice would be nice in order to ensure economical travel expenses.

What city did you guys Interview at?

I interviewed at Chicago.

I just got the confirmation that they got the CoE paperwork as well a few days ago. I cannot wait to send out for a visa. I love seeing a visa in my passport.

As for the learning when/where and the flight, I've gone into it expecting the worst and am saving up for it. Luckily one of my roommates from college now works at a Japanese travel agency and as soon as she heard that I might get hired promised me help in finding a cheap flight. So my lack of caring/worrying is probably from that partially as well.

Like anyone though, I'm so curious to learn where I'll be, but even with a preference for central Japan (which I'm sure is a popular preference), I'd be pretty happy anywhere. I think my friends from Japan and who are in Japan care way more than I do XD

I can't believe how close August is getting @_@ Just three months

zombiekelly
May 17th, 2013, 18:59
As long as your preferences were prefectures instead of specific cities, you stand a chance of getting what you want. Are you driving? That opens it up quite a bit.

Bordeau
May 21st, 2013, 01:21
I'm in the same boat too, I'll be leaving in August. Hopefully well get to the placement portion in the beginning of July. I personally asked for anything in the south, hopefully I'll get it.

JVail
May 21st, 2013, 09:34
Just found this forum. I'll be there in Fall as well.

mike_2325
May 22nd, 2013, 14:51
To the people leaving for Japan this summer: you guys are going there at the right time with the Japanese Yen being so favourable to foreign currancies right now.

zombiekelly
May 22nd, 2013, 18:42
Ehhhhh, not really. It's going to be nice for that 5k they want you to bring, but actually making the money in yen will make it tougher.

JVail
May 23rd, 2013, 05:54
http://news.yahoo.com/yen-breaks-100-abenomics-hits-another-milestone-055140356.html

forgetmenots
May 24th, 2013, 16:11
As long as your preferences were prefectures instead of specific cities, you stand a chance of getting what you want. Are you driving? That opens it up quite a bit.

I did say yes to driving, and I'd accept a driving position without any complaints. When I mentioned I had passed my N3 JLPT, Interac had asked me to send them a copy even though I'd already been accepted, because it might open up even more possibilities... though I didn't quite think N3 was high enough to matter, maybe they consider it borderline (My Japanese professor was so mad at me for not taking the N2 and I wonder now if playing it safe had been a bad idea XD) Of course it's the test and phone test that are the important factors I would think... maybe the Japanese School Boards like the look of a JLPT certificate XD.

As for the Yen right now, it seems to be moving around a lot due to the policies being put in place, and I'm not sure how I feel about it getting closer to the dollar, as much as it would make the moving process easier since I'm barely being able to save enough even with the Interac loan... but of course like anyone probably I'd hoped to be making more in the terms of dollars. I'll take what I can get however.

Glad to see more people popping up who are going in August~ I wonder if we're mostly going to be in one area or if there will be more variety for placements, coming in on the halfway mark like this...

zombiekelly
May 24th, 2013, 21:46
They use the JLPT to dangle in front of their clients. At my intro with the BOE, they overhyped my Japanese ability to the point where everyone assumes I understand them perfectly. I didn't even pass their bonus test.

borderdweller
June 13th, 2013, 15:49
Hey everyone. Found this place while trying to read up on the company some more. I'm heading over in August or September too.
Nobody else have received placement or language test emails correct?

Nice to meet you all.

Tyr
June 14th, 2013, 10:08
I did say yes to driving, and I'd accept a driving position without any complaints. When I mentioned I had passed my N3 JLPT, Interac had asked me to send them a copy even though I'd already been accepted, because it might open up even more possibilities... though I didn't quite think N3 was high enough to matter, maybe they consider it borderline (My Japanese professor was so mad at me for not taking the N2 and I wonder now if playing it safe had been a bad idea XD) Of course it's the test and phone test that are the important factors I would think... maybe the Japanese School Boards like the look of a JLPT certificate XD.

As for the Yen right now, it seems to be moving around a lot due to the policies being put in place, and I'm not sure how I feel about it getting closer to the dollar, as much as it would make the moving process easier since I'm barely being able to save enough even with the Interac loan... but of course like anyone probably I'd hoped to be making more in the terms of dollars. I'll take what I can get however.

Glad to see more people popping up who are going in August~ I wonder if we're mostly going to be in one area or if there will be more variety for placements, coming in on the halfway mark like this...

N3 is good, its the first level that matters. You do see some job listings that ask for N3. Playing safe for N4 over N3 would be dumb but for N3 over N2 is fairly sensible.
N2 is far common of course, its considered the true level to aim for, but N3 has value.

The yen is only going to get weaker. You really shouldn't look at jobs in Japan in terms of dollars, you should think purely in yen, since that is what you'll be earning and spending.

Sakurahoshi
June 15th, 2013, 14:17
The summer Interac newbies are very quiet! I assume there aren't as many of you as there were for our March 2013 intake? I don't know when you get your placements, but please let me know if any of you are placed in Shizuoka prefecture (especially around the Izu Peninsular, which is the eastern end of the prefecture near Tokyo). It would be great to meet you!

therealwindycity
June 16th, 2013, 13:33
The summer Interac newbies are very quiet! I assume there aren't as many of you as there were for our March 2013 intake? I don't know when you get your placements, but please let me know if any of you are placed in Shizuoka prefecture (especially around the Izu Peninsular, which is the eastern end of the prefecture near Tokyo). It would be great to meet you!

Ah wow, Izu is an amazing place - you're going to love it! It was actually my first placement request when I applied for JET.

Boots
June 17th, 2013, 20:49
Hi Everyone, just thought I'd ask how everyone is progressing. I received my disclosure back last week (all clean, phew) and this morning I received an email to say my CofE had been handed in and it usually takes 25 working days to get the visa pp back. It's getting very real now eek!

borderdweller
June 18th, 2013, 13:14
Last thing they sent me was an email asking if I wanted to postpone my departure until November or so. I said no, but they reserve the right to make you wait if it doesn't work for them. I've had my CoE paperwork over there for at least a month. Haven't heard anything about my visa being completed. No Japanese test either. Kinda wondering if its just all going to happen at once? I mean, we're already half way though June.

Boots
June 18th, 2013, 21:25
Oh no, hopefully I'm not postponed. I postponed myself from the March intake to August as I didn't have time to get the correct Visa. I also posted my CofE stuff over a month ago so not sure what they do with it inbetween.

forgetmenots
June 19th, 2013, 15:40
@Boots: I'd think that if you've gotten the CoE e-mail you won't be asked quite yet, but I can't be entirely sure.

From what I know our intake does take a lot less people just because there are less positions, though in general we're at a pretty quiet time XD I was looking at last year's thread and nothing really started happening until around July. So the few of us that are around are probably just trying not to think about it and pack up... or at least that's what I'm doing (unless of course my friends are asking me where I'll be and my family is asking me when I'm going and I cannot answer it at all).

The Update II e-mail they just sent was pretty exciting though, I'm hoping the first of the e-mails from the placement people comes soon.

And I just learned one of my best friends from my study abroad (and Indonesian so I haven't seen since) got accepted as a CIR for JET and will be going over in early August, so now I'm starting to wish that I will get some where in close traveling distance to the Tokyo area.

Interac is very good at making me want to roll on the floor in a temper tantrum because I have terrible patience XD

borderdweller
June 20th, 2013, 01:26
I have not received Update II. It seems like people are getting emails that I am not. Not sure how to feel about this? Did anyone else get the email about the 'alternate track' ? If not, I fear they may be looking at saddling me with that option. That would be no bueno.

Looking forward to hearing where everyone will be stationed.

borderdweller
June 21st, 2013, 00:10
So it looks like I won't be on the Alternate track. yippy. August 19th-27 seem to be the training days so far, but they have not set that in stone.

Where did everyone do their interview? Chicago for me.

Bordeau
June 21st, 2013, 07:45
I interviewed in Chicago as well in April. I will be heading out August 19th-27th too. I was scared that I was going to have to go back to subbing until the late fall. /shudders But thankfully that's not the case. I'm curious how many people from the seminar I attended were offered a position. From what I've read most people say if you make it to the interview stage your in, I hope that's the case. All the guys I interviewed with seemed pretty solid.

borderdweller
June 21st, 2013, 11:25
I interviewed in Chicago during April as well. Were you the guy with the cool alien and robot demo?

I was the guy with the cat and mouse drawings.

Bordeau
June 21st, 2013, 14:59
Indeed that was me. How have you been man? Where did you ask to be placed?

borderdweller
June 22nd, 2013, 00:03
Been good. How about you? I was wondering who else got accepted from Chicago. Its cool to know at least someone else made it.

I asked to be placed on Honshu. No place in particular. I just told them I didn't want to go to Hokkaido. I'm trying to get away from lots of snow for a while. Minnesota and a what not.

Sasha
June 25th, 2013, 00:07
Hello Fellow Summer Peeps! :)

My name is Sasha...(newbie here)...and I also have a August departure with Interac. I just recently received an email today about my CoE being "lodged" to the immigration authorities in Japan on june 21st. And that it'll take 25 working days for them to get it back. Time is ticking and I'm a bit skeptical, and worried; will I receive my visa on time?...has everyone gotten their follow-up email from Interac concerning their CoE, and when did you get it? And when did Interac say they'll receive it back? Mine will be back in their office July 29th.

But beside being nervous and worried, I'm freaking excited!! I can't wait to get to Japan! I'm also "suppose to" <--(quotations for a reason...lol) receive another email by the end of this week concerning my placement. I asked for a place in the Kansai area, near Hyogo prefecture, because I have family that lives there....so hopefully I get it. I think I will though because I was suppose to leave in March, but they pushed me back....and now they have job opening in the Kansai, hyogo prefecture area...hmmm coincidence, I think not!!! lol

BeckyJones
June 26th, 2013, 11:35
Welcome to Japan ya'll, don't let the JETs beat you up too hard. Also, give Interac some patience, they have a lot of work to do to bring ya'll over and it takes time. All will be sorted before you arrive.

zombiekelly
June 26th, 2013, 18:52
Bring some pepto if you have a shaky stomach. I was part of the spring intake and a good number of the people there were freaked out from presenting in front of the trainer.

forgetmenots
June 29th, 2013, 10:35
I interviewed in Chicago as well, but a couple months before you guys XD

I just got the giant Introduction packet of info from the Placement people about the school system and working with Interac and what not. First week of July is when people started learning where they'd be last year, so some of us could be starting to learn the big news sometime next week if we're lucky O_O I can't wait to hear where everyone's going.

I gotta finish packing up my room @_@

Bordeau
June 29th, 2013, 19:40
Can not wait to find out our placements. I was reading last years thread and I'm fairly concerned about the time line from now until departure. Some people seemed to receive their placements just days before leaving. Not that that's a huge deal in the long run. (Interac could offer me a position in Sapporo A.K.A Northrend the day of departure and I'd still take it) But Plane tickets are expensive and the longer you wait the higher the price. Hopefully we find out this week.

Bordeau
July 3rd, 2013, 00:06
Out of curiosity has anyone else joined the FaceBook group?

Sasha
July 3rd, 2013, 00:16
Yes I did...just yesterday when they sent me the email about it....I guess it gives you helpful tips about what to expect...I still have to explore though...

borderdweller
July 3rd, 2013, 00:37
I joined the facebook group last night as well. Been reading a few posts here and there.

zombiekelly
July 3rd, 2013, 18:53
It'll change from "ZOMG how do I bring money" to "ZOMG how do I turn on the aircon" in about two months. Then it will change into "ZOMG my students are hellions what do I do" before going back to "ZOMG how do I bring money" again. It's meant to be a place to ask teaching questions but I usually just ask for dumb stuff like mail translation. It's good for finding people in your area, though.

forgetmenots
July 6th, 2013, 11:57
Joined up as well.

Man I wish I wasn't on vacation. I got the J-CAT email and I just want to study a bit, take it and get it over with. Last time I took it I was on the edge between Intermediate-High and the level below it so I'm terrified of just barely not making it to the phone call.

Also, zombiekelly, I'm seiously appreciating the confirmations/advice/tidbits you've been posting with so thank you :D

zombiekelly
July 6th, 2013, 14:25
It's not an intense test, but it's the kind where they keep increasing the difficulty as you go along. I've heard that the phone interview is ridiculously simple compared to the questions needed to get it. I only got in the 120s, so I didn't get a call. No prob, though, I'm more of a reading/writing type.

Konnichiwayuki
July 6th, 2013, 20:25
I remember waiting for my placement...I finally got a call a few weeks before I was to go, late at night...like 10 PM. And a week or two later my placement changed :(. I like where I am though. So just keep waiting, it's worth it!

yakisoba-sauce
July 8th, 2013, 03:22
Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking around here and there. Wondering if anyone got any new information since the JCAT test and what not?

forgetmenots
July 8th, 2013, 12:59
Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking around here and there. Wondering if anyone got any new information since the JCAT test and what not?

Nothing really much over here, though I did get an e-mail from Fed-Ex telling me that Interac is sending me something through the mail, so I wonder if the CoE might be making its way over to me.

EDIT: Just saw on the facebook group that someone got their placement, hopefully this means that we'll be getting calls ourselves *crosses fingers* For those who didn't join the facebook group and are curious as to where they got placed, it was Okayama City

vero
July 8th, 2013, 15:29
Nothing really much over here, though I did get an e-mail from Fed-Ex telling me that Interac is sending me something through the mail, so I wonder if the CoE might be making its way over to me.

EDIT: Just saw on the facebook group that someone got their placement, hopefully this means that we'll be getting calls ourselves *crosses fingers* For those who didn't join the facebook group and are curious as to where they got placed, it was Okayama City

Hi guys, it was me that got placed in Okayama! I missed the first call and had to wait about an hour to hear back again. Most excruciating hour of my life!

I'm really happy with my placement, but like I said on the facebook group, I'm worried about the 30,000yen I have to pay monthly toward the social insurance system. Considering start up costs, loan repayment, and having to drive it seems like I'm barely going to be making enough to get by.

Does anyone have experience with the social insurance system? I am considering teaching private English lessons for supplemental income, but I have ZERO Japanese language ability. Is this something that's possible?

Boots
July 8th, 2013, 18:54
I have a missed call from Interac.....the waiting is killing me for them to ring again.

Boots
July 8th, 2013, 19:08
I am also in okayama city! I had geared myself up to be in the middle of nowhere with a driving position. So excited! The 30000 yen payment does seem like a lot! Guess i'll just have to budget....cant wait to get the email with all the info!

yakisoba-sauce
July 8th, 2013, 20:00
I do believe the Fedex email is the CoE. And it's been sent! Talk about fast, most people got it at like the end of the month in the past!

Congrats on Okayama vero and Boots!!

I got the intermed/high score on J-CAT so I'm really hoping I don't have to wait for the interview to find out placement. (´Д` )

yakisoba-sauce
July 8th, 2013, 20:09
Hi guys, it was me that got placed in Okayama! I missed the first call and had to wait about an hour to hear back again. Most excruciating hour of my life!

I'm really happy with my placement, but like I said on the facebook group, I'm worried about the 30,000yen I have to pay monthly toward the social insurance system. Considering start up costs, loan repayment, and having to drive it seems like I'm barely going to be making enough to get by.

Does anyone have experience with the social insurance system? I am considering teaching private English lessons for supplemental income, but I have ZERO Japanese language ability. Is this something that's possible?

Do they include it in that income chart on the website? Thats why at first they suggest bringing so much at first/initial costs I guess?

Most of the people who need supplementary lessons like that speak little English at all. _φ(・_・
It's possible but it will be kind of awkward at first I think. As long as you can come up with lessons of some sort and not just conversations its best. I taught at an English cafe it was rather dull after the usual "What did you do today?" After that it was sometimes difficult to continue on to more advanced subjects.

forgetmenots
July 9th, 2013, 03:52
Gahhhh *rolls around in despair* I was only 9 points awayyyy 9 points, 5% awayyy, I should have studied grammar or something more before I took it T_T. Do you think if you're close to the 200 line, they blur them a bit? XD Probably not... oh well... it was mostly a pride thing.

It seems that there are a lot of Okayama City Placements. I think if I remember correctly, that's one of the places with a good branch? But I could be making that up entirely *laughs* For those who have been placed there, is it a non-driving placement?

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 04:10
Gahhhh *rolls around in despair* I was only 9 points awayyyy 9 points, 5% awayyy, I should have studied grammar or something more before I took it T_T. Do you think if you're close to the 200 line, they blur them a bit? XD Probably not... oh well... it was mostly a pride thing.

It seems that there are a lot of Okayama City Placements. I think if I remember correctly, that's one of the places with a good branch? But I could be making that up entirely *laughs* For those who have been placed there, is it a non-driving placement?

I was basically plastered to older JLPT 3 and 2 books for like 8 weeks straight. It was definitely not like 'ho ho so this is cake' I was so distraught in some parts I didn't understand.

I read the posts from last year and quite a few people were placed there, non-driving I think if it's in Okayama-city. I hope to get somewhere in Kanto, I have some friends there and I want to be close-by. I kind of put my preferences for all over Japan except Tohoku and Hokkaido... :x

forgetmenots
July 9th, 2013, 04:27
^See I had taken it before and had got I think around 170-something so I was hoping with some review and studying with the little time I had before hand, but had bad timing with the e-mail coming while on vacation and away from my books and constant internet... oh well.

I am also starting to hope more and more for Kanto XD I'll take whatever they offer me first, but as I get closer and closer to knowing the placement's coming, I'm hoping it's less south and more northeastern. Though since the only real preference I mentioned to the interviewers was that I'd rather NOT be in an actual city I'm wondering if that is what Interac will be mostly focusing on.

I also just learned I don't have work again till Friday, so Interac, if you don't want me to miss the call, you have until then D< *I really need to go wander somewhere else on the internet now hahaha)

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 04:38
^See I had taken it before and had got I think around 170-something so I was hoping with some review and studying with the little time I had before hand, but had bad timing with the e-mail coming while on vacation and away from my books and constant internet... oh well.

I am also starting to hope more and more for Kanto XD I'll take whatever they offer me first, but as I get closer and closer to knowing the placement's coming, I'm hoping it's less south and more northeastern. Though since the only real preference I mentioned to the interviewers was that I'd rather NOT be in an actual city I'm wondering if that is what Interac will be mostly focusing on.

I also just learned I don't have work again till Friday, so Interac, if you don't want me to miss the call, you have until then D< *I really need to go wander somewhere else on the internet now hahaha)

I see~~
Sucks that it came at an inconvenient time. :(

I know I did the same "I'd love to have super rural," which wouldn't be terrible but a little urban might be nice too. D:

Good luck and hopefully we get calls this week!!

forgetmenots
July 9th, 2013, 08:28
JUST GOT THE CALL! I got placed in Higashiosaka (So pretty much Osaka) with a non-driving placement. I will also probably be Elementary/Kindergarten level, but I had a feeling that Interac would put me with that level no matter what since I'm kid person.

As for the 30,000 from what I was told, and this makes sense, that's partially your health insurance, it's also partially paying pension which we can bring back to our home countries. Unless you're doing a ton of things all the time, I doubt it'll kill us. I'm personally more worried about the amount of money I'm going to have to spend each month on student loans~

Placements seem to be coming out all at the same time.

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 08:33
JUST GOT THE CALL! I got placed in Higashiosaka (So pretty much Osaka) with a non-driving placement. I will also probably be Elementary/Kindergarten level, but I had a feeling that Interac would put me with that level no matter what since I'm kid person.

As for the 30,000 from what I was told, and this makes sense, that's partially your health insurance, it's also partially paying pension which we can bring back to our home countries. Unless you're doing a ton of things all the time, I doubt it'll kill us. I'm personally more worried about the amount of money I'm going to have to spend each month on student loans~

Congrats!!!!

Wow that sounds like a great area, and how cute little kids!! <3 :D

I hope so---my fingers are crossed for my placement soon! ^_^

vero
July 9th, 2013, 09:42

Congrats!

Yup, looking over all the finances in detail it doesn't seem too bad. The Okayama placement does require driving, so that should be interesting O_O

Boots
July 9th, 2013, 10:10
I cant wait for my email now! My okayama placement is non driving, I was quite excited about driving in japan but maybe another year. Not long now!!

forgetmenots
July 9th, 2013, 12:14
I cant wait for my email now! My okayama placement is non driving, I was quite excited about driving in japan but maybe another year. Not long now!!

Do it anyway! Rent a car and take a weekend trip! XD

I'm actually quite happy about the non-driving placement, I am really excited to get a bike and start biking everywhere. I also cannot wait for my e-mail from the branch office. Then I can get my plane ticket and everything will seem so much realer @_@.

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 12:34
You guys are so lucky...I'm dying waiting by the phone... D:

Bordeau
July 9th, 2013, 13:30
I agree the wait is rough. It kind of looks like the placements are being rolled out in waves per prefecture/city. And from what I gather what has been handed out are non-driving placements so far. If getting a car means having to wait a few more days, then by all means I will continue to sit here here and pull out what little hair I have in anticipation.
But I am happy that all the people who have gotten their placements so far seem pleased.

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 13:47
I agree the wait is rough. It kind of looks like the placements are being rolled out in waves per prefecture/city. And from what I gather what has been handed out are non-driving placements so far. If getting a car means having to wait a few more days, then by all means I will continue to sit here here and pull out what little hair I have in anticipation.
But I am happy that all the people who have gotten their placements so far seem pleased.
That's true! Positive optimism! :D

Btw how did you do on the japanese test if you don't mind my asking?

borderdweller
July 9th, 2013, 14:00
This place is starting to liven up now that people are getting their placements. There is so much stuff to do still. CoE stuff is kinda annoying. I really don't want to mail my passport, but driving from MN to IL 2 times in a week is just not a game I want to play. What did/are most of you doing for that? Mailing or hand delivering?

forgetmenots
July 9th, 2013, 14:53
This place is starting to liven up now that people are getting their placements. There is so much stuff to do still. CoE stuff is kinda annoying. I really don't want to mail my passport, but driving from MN to IL 2 times in a week is just not a game I want to play. What did/are most of you doing for that? Mailing or hand delivering?

I am without a doubt mailing mine. I did this last time I needed a visa (student visa for study abroad) and they had it back to me pretty quickly (I think they got it done the next day and posted it back express), no problems at all. It IS a little nerve-wracking to send the passport out in the mail though, I'll admit.

yakisoba-sauce
July 9th, 2013, 20:10

I'm fortunate enough to have mine less then an hours drive away. But if it's that far it's probably best to just mail it in. As long as you send it via trustworthy mailing/packaging it should be fine.

What's annoying is that we (or maybe just mine?) have to wait for flight itinerary (which can't be bought till the placement email--which requires a placement) to be able to apply for it. D: It arrives soon but can't do anything with it until I know where to go exactly. >_<

Sasha
July 9th, 2013, 23:01
OMG me too!! Definitely getting anxious! But excited all at the same time! And I just got my CoE in the mail today!!

Things are moving along. Now that's left: get placement, get ticket, buy nicknacks ie omiyage, more clothes, indoor shoes....it's getting real only a few more weeks everyone!! :)

forgetmenots
July 10th, 2013, 01:59
I know! I just printed out the applications since my CoE came in this morning and realized that I couldn't answer half the questions yet LOL. Does anyone know if Interac sends a nice little e-mail explaining how exactly they want us to fill out the visa? Because I would highly appreciate such an e-mail.

borderdweller
July 10th, 2013, 02:07
Update II-CoE Procedure has attachments on how to fill out the application. If you don't know certain parts it tells you to put a default answer in there. The attachments will tell you what to put in.

Sasha
July 10th, 2013, 02:21
I called the Japanese Embassy closes to me and they said I should wait until I get more info from Interac....So I sent Interac an email explaining to them that I have no idea how to fill this application out. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I would suggest emailing Interac and or calling the Japanese embassy closes to you. Because you don't want the process to be any longer than it has to be.

yakisoba-sauce
July 10th, 2013, 03:34
I called the Japanese Embassy closes to me and they said I should wait until I get more info from Interac....So I sent Interac an email explaining to them that I have no idea how to fill this application out. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I would suggest emailing Interac and or calling the Japanese embassy closes to you. Because you don't want the process to be any longer than it has to be.

borderdweller was right, it was in the Update II email. :) Either way without placement we can't technically go anyway so it's not That urgent at the moment. Having it is the biggest relief because some people took really long to even get it!

forgetmenots
July 10th, 2013, 04:25
Update II-CoE Procedure has attachments on how to fill out the application. If you don't know certain parts it tells you to put a default answer in there. The attachments will tell you what to put in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I completely missed that attachment the first time I looked at that e-mail. And may be a dumb question but for USA, would the ID number issued by government be our social security number?

Getting most of it all figured out now makes me feel a bit more comfortable knowing once I get the arrival information I can just fill it out quickly and post it properly. Other than the plane ticket it's the last bit of "official" business/paperwork to worry about until I arrive in Japan.... unless we count the TB test that is optional to get in the states, but we haven't gotten that e-mail yet so I'll not worry about it yet ^o^

yakisoba-sauce
July 10th, 2013, 05:05
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I completely missed that attachment the first time I looked at that e-mail. And may be a dumb question but for USA, would the ID number issued by government be our social security number?

Getting most of it all figured out now makes me feel a bit more comfortable knowing once I get the arrival information I can just fill it out quickly and post it properly. Other than the plane ticket it's the last bit of "official" business/paperwork to worry about until I arrive in Japan.... unless we count the TB test that is optional to get in the states, but we haven't gotten that e-mail yet so I'll not worry about it yet ^o^

I totally wondered the same thing...because it uses the UK as a sample--but we don't have those letters in our social so it's like 'what?' That's the only possible number though I would imagine...definitely confusing though. >_> Hm.

The TB test I heard is best done before hand, which I got taken care of this morning (have to return in a few days to get the results). I'm crazy paranoid so any way to get things taken care of early is best. I didn't know there was an email to wait for? It came up in the 'Working for Interac' packet so I figured we could get it done already?

Sasha
July 10th, 2013, 05:25
Yea I totally forgot about that email!! Thank you Borderdweller and Yakisoba-sauce!! I just saw it and now I'll finish filling it out!

yakisoba-sauce
July 10th, 2013, 11:30
I got my placement! Kawaba, Gunma prefecture! It's driving and probably going to be Elementary/Junior High Schools! I'm so excited!!! <3

forgetmenots
July 10th, 2013, 13:36
I got my placement! Kawaba, Gunma prefecture! It's driving and probably going to be Elementary/Junior High Schools! I'm so excited!!! <3

That's fantastic!! So much closer to Tokyo than the rest of us~ Congrats! Now you're waiting around for the branch office e-mails like the rest of us *laughs*

As for the TB e-mail, I think it's just about what to do with it and what not (and I could be wrong, but they're getting us specific information about a lot of the stuff so far so it would make sense), you're just ahead of the game... need to figure out when to do that.

Man I wasn't planning on traveling much at all in Japan, but from what my friends in Japan keep poking me about I'm probably going to be hopping the shinkansen a few times to go up to the Tokyo area XD as that's where they almost all are going to be and they're already pestering me about it.

I wonder how much time between training and school actually starting we will have...

yakisoba-sauce
July 10th, 2013, 14:00
That's fantastic!! So much closer to Tokyo than the rest of us~ Congrats! Now you're waiting around for the branch office e-mails like the rest of us *laughs*

As for the TB e-mail, I think it's just about what to do with it and what not (and I could be wrong, but they're getting us specific information about a lot of the stuff so far so it would make sense), you're just ahead of the game... need to figure out when to do that.

Man I wasn't planning on traveling much at all in Japan, but from what my friends in Japan keep poking me about I'm probably going to be hopping the shinkansen a few times to go up to the Tokyo area XD as that's where they almost all are going to be and they're already pestering me about it.

I wonder how much time between training and school actually starting we will have...

It looks so small and cozy (and cold)!
I'm really like 'woah'ed by driving, especially in the snow but I'm kind of stoked at the same time. I live in a VERY hot place so it'll be a nice change.

I hope it comes by the end of the week so we can do our VISA stuff next week. :D

It's not too many shinkansen's away though, if you want to save money try to use the economic silver or something rate. It stops at like every shinkansen station and takes like 4 hours (from Kyoto, not too far from where you are though so maybe an stop at Osaka) but it's not terrible. :)

By the way if there's anyone that mentions that area on the facebook page can someone let me know? I haven't joined and...proooobably won't. :x

zombiekelly
July 10th, 2013, 18:50
I didn't bother with the TB test in the states. They're going to make you get an xray anyway, and I didn't want to waste time on it.

For all of you dying to get near Tokyo, think about what you want to do there. For me, I can get to Tokyo in about 2 hours, but I found a city that's closer and has almost all I need (and I never even heard of it before I came here).

forgetmenots
July 11th, 2013, 07:53
I didn't bother with the TB test in the states. They're going to make you get an xray anyway, and I didn't want to waste time on it.

For all of you dying to get near Tokyo, think about what you want to do there. For me, I can get to Tokyo in about 2 hours, but I found a city that's closer and has almost all I need (and I never even heard of it before I came here).

For me it's only the people who live there *laughs* Tokyo itself is actually not a big draw for me, I didn't really even go to it much when I lived 20 minutes away XD'''''

I kept hearing people saying to get it done before is best, so this is the first I've seen to the opposite, and I'd much rather not deal with it in the states honestly. So either way we'll have to get an x-ray done? The one thing I'm mostly worried about is money.

yakisoba-sauce
July 11th, 2013, 08:11
For me it's only the people who live there *laughs* Tokyo itself is actually not a big draw for me, I didn't really even go to it much when I lived 20 minutes away XD'''''

I kept hearing people saying to get it done before is best, so this is the first I've seen to the opposite, and I'd much rather not deal with it in the states honestly. So either way we'll have to get an x-ray done? The one thing I'm mostly worried about is money.

I heard that if you do get it done in Japan that the company covers it.
Even if they do it there, if there's a chance that we don't have to I'll take it PLUS rather to be on the safe side and take the precautions. The skin test isn't that expensive though so it was a easy way to feel a bit more at ease. :3

Laevatienn
July 11th, 2013, 09:08

Haha, the number should be your Passport Number. It's required so they can send off for your CoE. The Japanese government has no need for an SSN. Plane tickets are a little annoying, you should be getting something soon about that. Ah, planes, I hate riding on planes for long periods of time. The one part I don't like about going to Japan. Anywho, Passport Number. Don't give out your SSN...bad things tend to happen. Have fun in Japan and have some good food for me.

I should stop coming here. It keeps reminding me of what I'm missing. Tonkotsu Ramen, Melon Pan (not as bad, Asian Food Grocer has them), vending machines, conbini, and the list goes on...

Tokyo is nice, more precisely the Metropolitan area. Tokyo itself is a business area whereas places like Yoyogi, Yotsuya, Iidabashi, and even Akihabara are nice to visit every now and then whether it be for books, games, sweets, trees, rivers, and so much more. It's really great if you are a good walker. I took a Saturday and went all the way to Tokyo station on the Chuo-sen before walking all the way back to Mitaka Station.

yakisoba-sauce
July 11th, 2013, 09:25
Haha, the number should be your Passport Number. It's required so they can send off for your CoE. The Japanese government has no need for an SSN. Plane tickets are a little annoying, you should be getting something soon about that. Ah, planes, I hate riding on planes for long periods of time. The one part I don't like about going to Japan. Anywho, Passport Number. Don't give out your SSN...bad things tend to happen. Have fun in Japan and have some good food for me.

There's already an option for Passport No. though. That's why it's so confusing... :(
It says 'ID No. issued to you by your government' and then three lines down 'Passport No.'

D:

I'm scared of riding planes...the first time I rode was to Japan and I got sick right before the last meal... </3 I'm hoping this time will go better. :l

Laevatienn
July 11th, 2013, 10:14
There's already an option for Passport No. though. That's why it's so confusing... :(
It says 'ID No. issued to you by your government' and then three lines down 'Passport No.'

D:

I'm scared of riding planes...the first time I rode was to Japan and I got sick right before the last meal... </3 I'm hoping this time will go better. :l

Hmm, I'll dig up someone on the Japan side and see what I get. Or maybe I can snatch someone in the US...or not. It's 6:00 PM where I'm at and I think they close at 5 PM. Hmm, I'll get back to it tomorrow. Strange things they put on forms...strange things.

zombiekelly
July 11th, 2013, 11:19
All you have to do for the tb test here is take your bra off and hug an xray machine. Free and the doctor won't see any skin (if you have a metal free bra, you can even leave it on). You can't get out of it, just like the lollypop drug test.

I think I might have left the id number field blank, but I can't remember.

forgetmenots
July 11th, 2013, 15:35
^That sounds a lot like the xray I did when I had to do the all school checkup at the college I studied abroad at, we had a mobile machine in a van for that which was an interesting experience XD Anyway, I think I might just put it off then.

I'll send Interac an e-mail about the ID No. thing if we don't figure it out by the time I get my plane ticket figured out because... dun dun DUUN~!

Osaka Office just sent me their e-mail! I have to be at KIX by August 18th! I'm also officially going to be at Elementary Schools and Kindergartens which isn't surprising at all (except I hadn't realized that we could be at kindergartens, but I love children so I'm excited even if that makes coming up with things to do with them harder).

Boots
July 11th, 2013, 15:44
It says 'ID No. issued to you by your government' :l

Hi if it helps, in the uk that is our national insurance number so it must be for your equivalent. The national insurance number is used for nhs/tax stuff. Is it called a soxial security number in the usa?

zombiekelly
July 11th, 2013, 18:19
Yes, it's a van. And they'll ask you some funny questions before, like "do you have the doubt of the pregnancy".

Sasha
July 11th, 2013, 18:24
You got an email from the Osaka Branch?!?!?! I still haven't received my placement yet....I'm starting to get worried! :(

Bordeau
July 11th, 2013, 20:17
I wouldn't worry, I haven't gotten a placement either.

yakisoba-sauce
July 11th, 2013, 21:29
Hi if it helps, in the uk that is our national insurance number so it must be for your equivalent. The national insurance number is used for nhs/tax stuff. Is it called a soxial security number in the usa?

I heard not to use our social but we could also use our drivers license number? I'm just going to ask when I go to turn it in...(soon as I get the arrival email). :[ But for those who have to mail it in--hopefully for us in the USA we can sort it out. D:

You got an email from the Osaka Branch?!?!?! I still haven't received my placement yet....I'm starting to get worried! :(

We just started getting placements (and I haven't even done the japanese phone call interview thing) so I wouldn't start actually worrying until it get's to like the end of the month. Anytime from the end of this week or even next week. When I got my phone call I was shaking because I had been worrying so much.
Good Luck! :)

Yes, it's a van. And they'll ask you some funny questions before, like "do you have the doubt of the pregnancy".

That sounds hilarioussss~

mothy
July 11th, 2013, 23:22
I guess if the inability of an entire nation to learn a foreign language is hilarious.

yakisoba-sauce
July 12th, 2013, 01:12
I guess if the inability of an entire nation to learn a foreign language is hilarious.
I was referring to the fact that it's in a van.

forgetmenots
July 12th, 2013, 01:46

I think that it's just because there are a huge amount going to Okayama City and HigashiOsaka and those placements got figured out first. I'm guessing they're just now getting the placements in other areas. Good luck on the waiting though, >_< I'm lucky on my end, the HigashiOsaka calls were second to be done it seems.

yakisoba-sauce
July 12th, 2013, 01:57
I think that it's just because there are a huge amount going to Okayama City and HigashiOsaka and those placements got figured out first. I'm guessing they're just now getting the placements in other areas. Good luck on the waiting though, >_< I'm lucky on my end, the HigashiOsaka calls were second to be done it seems.

Anybody on the fb page mention kanto region? :x

Sasha
July 12th, 2013, 07:52
Not sure, but there were mentions about Kumamoto; Oki, Fukuoka prefecture; Nagiso, Nagano...

yakisoba-sauce
July 12th, 2013, 08:03
Not sure, but there were mentions about Kumamoto; Oki, Fukuoka prefecture; Nagiso, Nagano...
That's pretty all over the place. Thanks :)
I have my fingers crossed you find out your placement soon. ^_^

Sasha
July 12th, 2013, 11:19
Thanks!! I sure hope so :)....although the office is enjoying a 3-day weekend...so sometime mid-week we should begin getting calls again. :(

JVail
July 12th, 2013, 12:55
I got my call a little earlier today. Okayama. 30,000 a month for the social insurance there though.

yakisoba-sauce
July 12th, 2013, 13:46
I got my call a little earlier today. Okayama. 30,000 a month for the social insurance there though.
Congrats!
Is it only a Okayama thing? I heard people who got placed there mention it--but I don't know what it is, just another insurance fee thing?

zombiekelly
July 12th, 2013, 17:59
If I remember correctly, the union in Osaka took Interac to court for shakai houken, aka insurance with pension for full time workers, so they have to provide it for everyone in that area.

Boots
July 12th, 2013, 22:04
I got my email today telling me to arrive on the 18th in Okayama. Flights are so expensive! Whats the cheapest anyone in the UK has found them?

JVail
July 13th, 2013, 00:44
Yeah, sucks, but what can you do? I like the "they have to provide part" as in we have to pay an extra 27,000 a month.
The cheapest I have found was around $1000. Bing Travel seems to have the best search for cheap flights.

forgetmenots
July 13th, 2013, 03:01
Yeah the HigashiOsaka placements have to pay it as well, or at least I do. It does take the decision out of which insurance plan to do though, and I don't mind that.

Man now that the Osaka branch is in contact with me, everything on their end is going so fast @_@ I just gotta get my plane ticket settled out so I can get my visa stuff settled out.

yakisoba-sauce
July 13th, 2013, 04:06
How exciting! Things are moving fast on the Kansai side.
I am so eager to get the email from my branch--but with the long weekend... More wait time.

Sucks about the insurance thing but hopefully it all works out. :)

JVail
July 14th, 2013, 01:46
I actually went and applied for the Visa already. When I called the consulate, they said because of the length of stay, airport and airline don't really matter.

yakisoba-sauce
July 14th, 2013, 02:04
I actually went and applied for the Visa already. When I called the consulate, they said because of the length of stay, airport and airline don't really matter.

What did you use for the ID number thing? Or did you leave it blank? (SSN or license?)

JVail
July 15th, 2013, 02:20
I put my SSN

yakisoba-sauce
July 15th, 2013, 03:03
I put my SSN

Thanks for the help! I'm going to wait till I get my info on when to leave and buy the ticket because when I did study abroad for a year my consulate was kinda fussy about the whole itinerary and what not. >_>

JVail
July 15th, 2013, 05:16
I don't blame you. I had the day off so I figured I would give it a shot.

Bordeau
July 17th, 2013, 10:42
Got my placement around 8pm CST.
Konan, Shiga, Japan

borderdweller
July 17th, 2013, 11:29
Congrats on the placement. I looked it up and it looks pretty cool.

So, does this make me the last person here to get their placement? I think there is one more who is waiting as well.

yakisoba-sauce
July 18th, 2013, 03:54
Got my placement around 8pm CST.
Konan, Shiga, Japan
Congrats! I went to Shiga a few times its really nice :D

So, does this make me the last person here to get their placement? I think there is one more who is waiting as well.
You and Sasha. Hopefully Kanto area :) Maybe that's why it's taking so long? Everyone else on here is Kansai so--maybeee~

Sasha
July 18th, 2013, 10:15
Yup...but I just received an email from Interac...stating that they are still finding out placements. And I am due to fly into Narita Airport...which I'm happy about because I know something now, but also kind of sad because I want to be able to be around my family and friends in Osaka. I requested the Kansai area..so hopefully I get something in that area...hopefully I'll know something and not become an Alt...because you have to accept the first place they give you.

borderdweller
July 18th, 2013, 11:21
Yeah I got the same email. I'm kinda hoping they'll let me fly in a few days early and make my own way to the hotel. I have some friends in Tokyo that I want to hangout with before training starts.

Honestly, I kinda figured I would be one of those people that doesn't have a placement when they arrive. Fate usually sets me up in less favorable positions and makes me work hard at getting to the goals I want. I requested to be on Honshu. No where specific, just Honshu. My guess is they'll put me on Hokkaido :confused: the one place I told them I specifically didn't want to go. Spent my entire life in MN, if I'm gonna have a great new experience in a foreign land, I'd like to not go a place with the familiar mountains of snow in the winter. But, it thats what it is, so be it. I'll make the best of it.

zombiekelly
July 18th, 2013, 19:28
Some alternates get Tokyo placements.... It's super rare but happens.

yakisoba-sauce
July 19th, 2013, 02:13
Yup...but I just received an email from Interac...stating that they are still finding out placements. And I am due to fly into Narita Airport...which I'm happy about because I know something now, but also kind of sad because I want to be able to be around my family and friends in Osaka. I requested the Kansai area..so hopefully I get something in that area...hopefully I'll know something and not become an Alt...because you have to accept the first place they give you.

Yeah I got the same email. I'm kinda hoping they'll let me fly in a few days early and make my own way to the hotel. I have some friends in Tokyo that I want to hangout with before training starts.

Honestly, I kinda figured I would be one of those people that doesn't have a placement when they arrive. Fate usually sets me up in less favorable positions and makes me work hard at getting to the goals I want. I requested to be on Honshu. No where specific, just Honshu. My guess is they'll put me on Hokkaido :confused: the one place I told them I specifically didn't want to go. Spent my entire life in MN, if I'm gonna have a great new experience in a foreign land, I'd like to not go a place with the familiar mountains of snow in the winter. But, it thats what it is, so be it. I'll make the best of it.

Sorry guys :( But on the bright side they Did tell you to book the flight--soo that means they are just waiting from the branch to get back to them on where Exactly you'll be placed. From what I've investigated around the forum and what not, as long as you are invited to the training in Narita you are half-way to placement. :) We must be positive!

I think I totally bombed the japanese phone call so I'm not very positive right now myself. (I know I shouldn't talk I already have my future mountain village...)

Has anyone heard about the online training business? I remember hearing about it but I haven't received any information on it... Last year people got it about the same time as the JCAT email so I'm confused. :/

Gizmotech
July 19th, 2013, 05:13

You do know there are parts of honshu that are just as wintery as hokkaido? Hell, 400km north of Tokyo in the Yamagata mountains is the second snowiest place in Japan, and 300km north west of Tokyo IS the snowiest part of Japan.

You shoulda asked for kyushu.... woulda had a better chance at now having snow.

borderdweller
July 19th, 2013, 08:32
I'm not looking for a complete lack of snow. Just not the towering mountains of snow in Hokkaido. I knew Honshu had snow, and quite a bit in some parts, but maybe not to the extent that you describe.

I didn't want to be too specific with a placement request because I wanted to have a better chance at getting the job. haha. So I just asked for Honshu. Snow or not, I'll live through it.

Gizmotech
July 19th, 2013, 08:48
Ya,.... Honshu has more impressive towering mountains of snow than hokkaido :P

I remember one train ride through Yamagata where I was looking down on the road (the train was higher up the mountain) and I could see a transport truck, driving in a tunnel of snow, with the top of the truck pretty much even with the snow banks. That was not even near the peak of winter :P

yakisoba-sauce
July 19th, 2013, 09:42
I'm horrified of the snow I am to expect but, considering I'm from a place where you can go to the beach all year round--it'll be a nice change from sweating all day. :)

Fingers still crossed for you guys to get placed before training! :D

Sasha
July 19th, 2013, 10:42
I actually did get placed...I'm going to Okayama City! I haven't received an email from the Hiroshima Branch yet...but I'm going to purchase my ticket anyway. But for those that were placed in Okayama, what's the training dates? Is it August 18th, like for everyone?...I'm arriving early anyway but just want to know.

Keep hope...I'm sure you'll be placed before we leave...if not, you'll get to explore Tokyo, stay in the hotel for free and get paid to do office work!! Bright Side!! :D

Boots
July 19th, 2013, 17:11
Training starts on the 19th in okayama but the email says to get there by the 18th at the latest as they do admin stuff. It says they will have representatives at the train station until 6pm but if google maps is correct its only a 15 walk away anyway. Other than that its just general info really.

borderdweller
July 21st, 2013, 02:36
Got my ticket. Gonna head to Tokyo a couple days early to meet up with friends and get over jet-lag if I have it. Last time I was there I didn't. So you guys have training at your placement city? I was under the impression that everyone had training in Tokyo and then headed to they placements. Guess I misunderstood that part.

yakisoba-sauce
July 21st, 2013, 04:20
Got my ticket. Gonna head to Tokyo a couple days early to meet up with friends and get over jet-lag if I have it. Last time I was there I didn't. So you guys have training at your placement city? I was under the impression that everyone had training in Tokyo and then headed to they placements. Guess I misunderstood that part.

It all depends on the branch or board of education, most Kansai train in Osaka and from what I've seen in the forum the Hiroshima BoE seems to like training in Okayama. For those of us Kanto side and what not tend to train in Tokyo because its the easiest to arrive in Narita and commute to the training facility. :P

forgetmenots
July 21st, 2013, 10:57
I got my ticket~ But I'm still sitting on my Visa application. I haven't had time to get to a post office because WORK. It's like now that I'm quitting soon they want to give me all the hours they can legally shove on me. I should get it out on Monday though and hopefully it'll all go smoothly!

Yeah I train in Osaka (the hotel is obnoxiously far from the airport though... I'm trying to decide if I want to haul my luggage around the train system or pay tons of money for a taxi T_T

It's less than a month away now!

zombiekelly
July 21st, 2013, 12:04
Just have Yamato ship it to the hotel from the airport. 3000 yen.

yakisoba-sauce
July 21st, 2013, 12:09
I got my ticket~ But I'm still sitting on my Visa application. I haven't had time to get to a post office because WORK. It's like now that I'm quitting soon they want to give me all the hours they can legally shove on me. I should get it out on Monday though and hopefully it'll all go smoothly!

Yeah I train in Osaka (the hotel is obnoxiously far from the airport though... I'm trying to decide if I want to haul my luggage around the train system or pay tons of money for a taxi T_T

It's less than a month away now!

Me too! I already went to apply for the visa and pick it up next week. Just make sure you fill it all in the way the sample form is laid out and whatever your consulate requires on their website and it should be fine.

The airport is like 2 hours away from the training place for us--but the trains and whatnot seem to be right there, hopefully my tiny self can manage through with a suitcase half my size. (0_0);;

Almost there! (/^o^)/

yakisoba-sauce
July 21st, 2013, 22:22
I'll be at the Osaka training as well! I'm planning on flying in a couple days early to shake off the jet lag and explore around a bit. Has anyone taken the Japanese phone test yet? I got an intermediate-high score on the JCAT, but haven't heard anything from Interac about setting up a phone time. Not that I'm complaining...the more time I get to prepare the better.

They won't email you for that, you have to have told them the available times for it from that 'congrats' email from two weeks ago. I thought the same thing, emailed about my times and got a phone call about an hour later. :)

yakisoba-sauce
July 22nd, 2013, 09:45
Yeah, they weren't too clear on who was supposed to email who...Guess I'll just have to wrest that 5000 yen bonus out of their hands myself. What did you think of the interview? I heard it was pretty easy compared to the written test. My speaking is absolutely horrendous though, so who knows how it'll go.
I wasn't expecting the call so I was super nervous. I answered all the questions but spoke in circles, I have yet to hear a result but. I'm not sure myself.

It's fairly do-able though. She calls a lot sooner than you get a response email telling you to expect the call--so be prepared at a moments notice. :)

itsmalicali
July 25th, 2013, 09:58
Hey everyone! Sorry to but into the conversation since I haven't actually applied to Interac yet, but I was just wondering since you all have applied and were hired if you wouldn't mind lending me some quick opinions or advice. I am curious if you wouldn't mind sharing if you had any previous work experience that was relatable to what you'd be doing for Interac?

I will have my bachelor's degree, but it's in an unrelated subject. My past work experience was as a live-in nanny for a mother who traveled due to work, but I'm not sure how serious that would be taken. The only other work experience I have is my current job as a receptionist. I made more money as a live-in nanny for the past couple of years, but I wanted to get "traditional work experience" to list on my resume. In order to look better on paper as well as prepare myself the best I can, I am also currently getting my CELTA. I have done volunteer tutoring and then more volunteer work with at-risk youths, but again, that is not professional work experience. I see some of you have had experience abroad already, which is said to be desirable. I wish I had that option, but unfortunately I haven't.

Do you still think I have a chance with Interac?

Congratulations to all of those who have been hired and have their placements already! It's been interesting looking up your locations! Every place has such unique things to offer!

Sasha
July 25th, 2013, 10:55
I didn't have any pervious experience working as a teacher. Although it would look great to them, it's not mandatory to have such credentials. As long as you know how to speak english, place commas and periods where they need to be, and have a love for Japan, your pretty much a shoe in. So APPLY!! It wouldn't hurt. I have a B.A in Speech Communications, and I know some people in Japan, teaching english that have degrees in all sorts of things.

borderdweller
July 25th, 2013, 11:44
You've shown that you can work with kids, you speak English, and have a bachelor's degree. I'd give it a shot.

Write your essays well (there will be 2 of them. they aren't too hard) and show that you want to do this.

Are you set on INTERAC or have you looked into other English schools in Japan? Peppy Kids or the like?

borderdweller
July 25th, 2013, 12:25
10:30pm and they call me with a placement. And my phone is dumbtastic so it cancels calls without my approval. Why phone? Why?

EDIT: Got call back. Thanks to speedy email and it being daytime in Tokyo.

Placement offer is Ishinomaki, Miyagi prefecture. Coastal city hard hit by the 2011 tsunami. Weather there seems nice. I'd like to try living in a coastal town since I've lived smack dab in the middle of a continent my entire life. I'll probably take it.

Bordeau
July 25th, 2013, 13:17
Congrats on the placement seems nice on google maps.

borderdweller
July 25th, 2013, 13:19
oh yeah. Never thought to look there.

You're a smart devil, you know that?!

yakisoba-sauce
July 26th, 2013, 00:47
10:30pm and they call me with a placement. And my phone is dumbtastic so it cancels calls without my approval. Why phone? Why?

EDIT: Got call back. Thanks to speedy email and it being daytime in Tokyo.

Placement offer is Ishinomaki, Miyagi prefecture. Coastal city hard hit by the 2011 tsunami. Weather there seems nice. I'd like to try living in a coastal town since I've lived smack dab in the middle of a continent my entire life. I'll probably take it.
Congrats!! Yay everyone on here got placed!

By the way, other than the intro to the branch email has anyone received any other updates? I feel like it's so quiet now. D: Just the wait till we go~

Boots
July 26th, 2013, 05:41
I know what you mean, I feelmlike nothing has happened after being bombarded with emails for a couple of days. I have booked my flights and got my visa now. Just need to pack and get some yen and im ready to go. Not long now!

Bordeau
July 27th, 2013, 00:18
I got my apartment email last night. My branch is fantastic! Instead of trying to stuff my wife and myself in a leopalace there trying to get us a 3DK for the same price. It is bad ass

Link below
���ꌧ�Γ��s�Ε������S���ځ@�b�܂ق��΃n�C�c�̉摜�E����- ���݃A�p�[�g�A���݃}���V�����̂��������l�b�g (http://e-heya.kentaku.net/detail/detail.jsp?sc_property_full_id=300000420000172001791)

Boots
July 27th, 2013, 00:32
Thats really great that you get a larger apartment together. Okayama city alts! Did you get the mobile phone email. Whats your thoughts?

yakisoba-sauce
July 27th, 2013, 04:54
I got my apartment email last night. My branch is fantastic! Instead of trying to stuff my wife and myself in a leopalace there trying to get us a 3DK for the same price. It is bad ass

Link below
���ꌧ�Γ��s�Ε������S���ځ@�b�܂ق��΃n�C�c�̉摜�E����- ���݃A�p�[�g�A���݃}���V�����̂��������l�b�g (http://e-heya.kentaku.net/detail/detail.jsp?sc_property_full_id=300000420000172001791)

That looks so nice!! Super good price too! Shiga-ken is really nice, I think you both will really enjoy it. :) It's been said to be rural for the area (between Kyoto and Osaka kind of), but its japanese 'rural' which just means suburbs. Just be careful about the trash separation it's worse than usual 3-separate bins like most of Japan.

Thats really great that you get a larger apartment together. Okayama city alts! Did you get the mobile phone email. Whats your thoughts?

lucky...update emails about stuff.

I still don't know whether or not I passed the japanese speaking test. >_<

forgetmenots
July 27th, 2013, 11:47
I had to switch from my first apartment that I got XD Apparently after I confirmed the landlord contacted Interac again going: uh... actually there's something wrong the apartment >_>

They ended up offering me a cheaper, newer one. Both were like a five minute walk from the station and they're only a 20 minute walk from each other so I guess I was lucky to have mysterious circumstances take the first way away (although it did have a loft... I love lofts ;_;)

Just got my visa back today as well! It all went well for the most part, and since pretty much all the people who've already gone over say get the X-Ray in Japan I'm just going to go ahead and do that which means I'm done until I go... which is so weird... I'm already halfway packed too XD Only living on the little bit that is left to be packed away.

Just have Yamato ship it to the hotel from the airport. 3000 yen.
The only problem is that I'm getting in at like 9:30PM >_< So no idea what's available service-wise... I wanted to make sure I had enough time between the Tokyo and Osaka flights and my two choices were either worry about not making that flight from Haneda OR coming in late... but man I kinda regret it a bit.

I'm going to do some research on it either way, thanks.

yakisoba-sauce
July 27th, 2013, 12:06
I had to switch from my first apartment that I got XD Apparently after I confirmed the landlord contacted Interac again going: uh... actually there's something wrong the apartment >_>

They ended up offering me a cheaper, newer one. Both were like a five minute walk from the station and they're only a 20 minute walk from each other so I guess I was lucky to have mysterious circumstances take the first way away (although it did have a loft... I love lofts ;_;)

Just got my visa back today as well! It all went well for the most part, and since pretty much all the people who've already gone over say get the X-Ray in Japan I'm just going to go ahead and do that which means I'm done until I go... which is so weird... I'm already halfway packed too XD Only living on the little bit that is left to be packed away.

Lucky!!
Well not so much that you had one and that it got switched--but man Kansai branches are on point! Then again I'm living in the boonies so I doubt I'll have all that many apartment options. :P

I still haven't packed, but getting all of the last minute things. Not much to pack so I'm not rushing on that bit. The easiest bit was the drivers permit, so weird. Seemed TOO easy. xD

Page
July 29th, 2013, 15:02
Ishinomaki is a nice place, lots of nice JETs (though I don't know how much private-JET mixing there is, really depends on the batch each year). Nice big AEON (complete with Starbucks, small foreign food store) and a movie theater (there's only a handful of legit theaters in Miyagi). I'm sure you'll love it.

forgetmenots
July 31st, 2013, 16:42
Oh look! There is homework in our e-mail XD I didn't realize we had some pre-training homework to do. I'm glad tomorrow's my last day of work so that I can focus on it.

In other news, I see a ton of things about ES/JHS/HS in the training stuff, but almost nothing about what I should expect at a Kindergarten and since I was told I would be working at "1 to 3 Elementary schools and 1 to 2
kindergartens" I'm thinking that the two are very separate things (I think I remember reading somewhere that Kindergarten is more like daycare or preschool... but I could be wrong). Maybe I should e-mail the Training department about it, since I want to make sure I do the preparation for that if I do need to do something different than ES...

zombiekelly
July 31st, 2013, 20:48
oldyella- They're not as concerned about North here as they are in the US. You shouldn't be concerned about something like that. From what I hear, the North embassy is actually near the Interac head office...

forgetmenots- Don't fret about the prep videos too much. If you ask me, they're for an ideal situation where the students actually give a crap about English. My kids are definitely not there.

yakisoba-sauce
August 1st, 2013, 11:47
Just got a link to my apartment! It's located right behind a school for North Koreans...Not exactly sure how to feel about that. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I googled it. Apparently they're funded by North Korea and their curriculums are outside Japanese control. I just hope it won't be the target of any protests whenever NK does something stupid. I heard Leopalace walls are paper thin.

Zombiekelly is right you'll be fine. It seems wild but for reference watch the movie 'Go' it's not as much of a WHAT like it is state-side. :)

I like all of the new training-type stuff. Though it was pretty quick to breeze through. Hoping more information gets sent our way. Just about two weeks now! :D

itsmalicali
August 19th, 2013, 10:32
I didn't have any pervious experience working as a teacher. Although it would look great to them, it's not mandatory to have such credentials. As long as you know how to speak english, place commas and periods where they need to be, and have a love for Japan, your pretty much a shoe in. So APPLY!! It wouldn't hurt. I have a B.A in Speech Communications, and I know some people in Japan, teaching english that have degrees in all sorts of things.

You've shown that you can work with kids, you speak English, and have a bachelor's degree. I'd give it a shot.
Write your essays well (there will be 2 of them. they aren't too hard) and show that you want to do this.
Are you set on INTERAC or have you looked into other English schools in Japan? Peppy Kids or the like?

I've been busying finishing school and my course so I haven't logged on in a while. Thank you both for the replies! I've read about people in the past with unrelated degrees and work experience getting jobs in Japan, but I know it's a lot more competitive now so I wanted to see what you all had to say. Interac is not the only place I will be applying to, but it is ideal for me. I'm applying once I finish the CELTA. :) Thank you again! I look forward to see all of your adventures while there!