PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Sado Island

nagareboshi
May 31st, 2013, 09:36
Hi. I've just learned of my placement from JET. Apparently, I've been placed with Sado Island...which I know very little about, despite the frantic research I did immediately after discovering my placement. Has anyone from this forum been there, taught there, etc.? It's my understanding that it's mainly an agricultural/fishing community still immersed in old Japanese tradition. I hear there's few young people there, because they've all moved to the mainland. Ummm....I was wondering about typical JET apartments there, cost of living, whether or not I'll need a kotatsu (probably, huh?), and if there's anything in particular I should bring other than a ton of rain gear and some sandals. How do people tend to dress there? Would it be okay if I brought slacks/button-ups for work and capris/tank tops for weekends, plus a few sweaters for when it gets cold? Also, would it be better to rent a car or buy a bike, in order to get from home to work? I have a lot of questions...just hope someone has the patience to answer them. ^^; Sorry for the trouble.

Cytrix
May 31st, 2013, 09:55
I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, BUT just be patient and wait to hear from your predecessor. They can answer all these questions, and more. They'll just be waiting until they can contact you.

nagareboshi
May 31st, 2013, 09:57
What's the green light they need before they can contact me?

RomulusLupin
May 31st, 2013, 09:59
What's the green light they need before they can contact me?
Your BOE should send you more information after they've received your Reply Form.

coop52
May 31st, 2013, 09:59
They probably can't contact you until a certain date because of their contracting organizations' rules. They do this to keep people from contacting short-listers who have had to back out of coming on JET for various reasons. You should probably hear something in the next few weeks or so.

therealwindycity
May 31st, 2013, 10:18
The only thing I know about Sado Island is that this fascinating-sounding gentleman lives there: Charles Robert Jenkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Robert_Jenkins)

BeckyJones
May 31st, 2013, 10:25
can' answer most of your questions, wait to be contacted.

But I can say this, Sado is beautiful and I enjoyed my trip there. You will likely need a car, but it depends on your BOE, so wait. And like most JETs you will be rural, and surrounded by old people. You do have the option of going to Niigata, and then taking a shinkansen to Tokyo for a weekend, so you are not as rural as some.

Tyr
May 31st, 2013, 14:50
Its where they used to send troublesome and important people into exile back in the day. It had a reputation as a foggy and depressing place full of people waiting to die...No seriously, not just being negative. Interesting history really!
Though by all accounts these days its pretty nice with an awesome summer hippy festival. I've never been myself but my friends have and it sounds good.

Nobody NEEDS a kotatsu. Its something lucky people living north of Kagoshima and with big enough places get to have.

Just chill out. You should be told about your predecessor in a few weeks. You'll find out by July.

Ini
May 31st, 2013, 14:59
A Kotatsu is the most pointless device you can have in your home. Just heat the damn room up like a normal person instead of bbq'ing your frank and beans under a tiny child size table while you get frost forming on your head.

lilyanphino
May 31st, 2013, 15:52
I've only been to Sado Island for fun, but it is a beautiful place. There are some historic places that are interesting and the boat ride to Niigata doesn't take too terribly long, just a couple hours. It is separated out from the mainland, but there are far worse placements out there.

Gizmotech
June 1st, 2013, 09:05
Ahh Sado. The big earth festival is held there every year. A few of my friends have gone down for it, said it was a riot.

You're closer to the shinkansen than a lot of people (1 ferry/plane ride to niigata), you will likely need a car to get around. Everything else, wait for your predecessor to call.

Tyr
June 7th, 2013, 14:57
A Kotatsu is the most pointless device you can have in your home. Just heat the damn room up like a normal person instead of bbq'ing your frank and beans under a tiny child size table while you get frost forming on your head.

Heat up a Japanese room? With their paper walls and windows thinner than those of a garden shed? Unpossible!

It would be great if Japanese houses did have proper heating but kotatsus are still awesome.

mothy
June 7th, 2013, 15:03
Since we moved into a place with decent insulation, even my wife doesn't use a kotatsu anymore. There really is no purpose to them except for desperation.

Jiggit
June 7th, 2013, 15:06
What if you are a Japanese and want to enjoy a warm feeling? I think kotatsu is very wonderful.

mothy
June 7th, 2013, 15:26
The only Japanese who use kotatsu haven't experienced modern housing.

bluemarigolds
June 24th, 2013, 11:55
One of the downsides is that the ferries can and do get canceled due to rough seas; I've known of JETs who have gotten stuck on the mainland on Sunday night and have had to take the first ferry on Monday morning. A ferry ride to Niigata City will set you back two hours and about 5,000 yen.

Sado is home to an endangered species, the crested ibis/トキ (Crested Ibis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crested_Ibis)).

Easy_money
June 26th, 2013, 12:13
Im in Niigata, but not Sado. My advice is join the Niigata AJET facebook page, as there are people there who will be able to your questions in detail.