PDA

View Full Version : High School Exchange Program

kalliea
August 21st, 2013, 03:29
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought I would give it a go...

I work at a university in the U.S. The school has a duel credit program for high school students so they can get high school and college credit at the same time. In an effort to increase the "international reach and culture" of the university, we want to set up a program with Japan. The goal is that a group of high school students would come here for maybe a few weeks, or even up to a year if they wanted to stay...

Specifically, we are making a "US History" duel credit, study away class. This class will be about 2-3 weeks, contain an online part they can do from Japan, and include the group going to Pennsylvania, Boston, and D.C. So the students would get high school and college credit, plus all the U.S. domestic travel covered. The would join a group of local high school students for the class, so I think it would be a good experience.

Let me know if you/your school is interested, or you want more details!

- Kalliea

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2013, 09:36
I'm sorry, can you provide more details on what the students will learn/be exposed to in this trip? What is this online part they must do in Japan?

When would your university like to operate it? The usually August time frame so it's compatible with Japanese HS?

Is there a particular reason you're targeting Japan, even though you are an East Coast university?

What requirements are you placing on their pre-departure language level? What is the joint classes purpose?

What support do you have for Japanese speakers to interact with the children? How about health and travel insurance during their stay?

Lastly, it's DUAL not DUEL. I somehow doubt your kids are having pistols at 10 paces....

kalliea
August 21st, 2013, 14:11
I'm sorry, can you provide more details on what the students will learn/be exposed to in this trip?

Yes, I can, but this is actually a huge question. There are a lot of options. Option one, the students can take either a US History course or Political Science clace (on US government) as part of a short term study away. Meaning, there would be an online class with some reading/research and online group an discussion work. Then, when the students come to the US, they will visit DC, Philadelphia, (possibly Boston,) and New York, seeing cites related to the class, i.e. the White House, Liberty Bell, Statue of Liberty, etc. Option 2, the longer term option, would be the students come to campus for an entire term and take a full load of classes. These classes should meet their required classes from their own school. Math, Biology, Chem, etc will all be offered to high schoolers on campus.

What is this online part they must do in Japan?

It will depend on what option they do, and what their home school wants. At a minimum there will be readings and discussion boards so the students can all get to know each other. Depending on the required English level, the readings might be available in Japanese, but the discussion boards will be in English.

When would your university like to operate it? The usually August time frame so it's compatible with Japanese HS?

The short term will be in the summer, but the dates aren't set. We can also arrange it during Golden Week. But most of the high school classes go in August. The long term class option can be in any term, including winter or summer. (If they come for all of winter or summer, they may only take one or two classes if they wish.)

Is there a particular reason you're targeting Japan, even though you are an East Coast university?

About 90% of our international students come from Asia. We have multiple exchange agreements with Japan, but a LOT more students come from India and China, so we need to work on the relationship with Japan. Also, Japan wants to increase the numbers of students who go abroad, and we want to increase our international student numbers. Win-win.

What requirements are you placing on their pre-departure language level? What is the joint classes purpose?
The language level hasn't been decided yet, but they need to have some conversational English. The whole point of the joint classes is for a cultural exchange, but if there is no common language it will be really difficult. They (obviously) don't need to be fluent, but something more than "Hello. My name is...."
[quote]
What support do you have for Japanese speakers to interact with the children? How about health and travel insurance during their stay?

I'm not really clear on what you mean about "Japanese speaker to interact with the children." There will be Japanese chaperones with them, but is sounds like you are asking about U.S. Japanese speakers practicing with the students or something...

Insurance is required for all international students. The international student services office will help with this, as well as visas.

Lastly, it's DUAL not DUEL. I somehow doubt your kids are having pistols at 10 paces....
How do you know? This is the south. We have dorms specifically for people who want to carry weapons. It might also be a huge Yugioh tournament. Don't judge.

Some other related items...

One of the reasons we want to do this sort of elite option is because the University has a sponsored high school on campus that was ranked #1 in the nation this year. To keep up that level we need to go outside the box and do more innovative and collaborative type works. This program would be a win all the way around. The students, both international and domestic, would get a great experience both academically and culturally. Multiple departments from the University will be involved, so everyone has reason to make it a success, and the high schools get bragging rights as well. Plus the Japanese government released that whole Abeducation thing that wants to put an emphasis on study abroad, so...

Also, if it is high school students who come rather than University students, they get about 80% of the cost of tuition waived. All the students have to pay is the travel (which, admittedly, is a lot from Japan) but they would get college credit from a U.S. university plus an amazing experience. Also, my office specifically would work with them to make the program affordable for the students. For example, even with the cost of a flight from Japan, a Japanese high school student who wanted to do an entire term here would end up paying less than a regular, in state student because of the tuition breaks.

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2013, 15:24
Based on what you posted, you want to specifically shop this program to elevator schools in Japan. Do some research on any Uni with an attached HS, as they will be the ones who can adapt to what you are proposing. Especially the year long part. I think you really need to look at the prestige schools and performance schools as well and sell it to them as a genuinely beneficial thing which doesn't interfere in their schedule and systems.

I highly doubt any regular SHS would be willing to spend the time and resources on that type of project to be honest. I know that there would be no way that a publicly funded SHS would do a full year exchange, that just has too big of a chance of screwing things up for the kids for their centre test when they're done.

As for Japanese speakers, I was referring to translators/teachers. Just because someone is chaperoning, doesn't mean they have sufficient English to actually help in both class or in the event of an emergency.

Last thing I'll say, I really like the idea, I just don't think it jives with the realities of Japanese schools. If you're teaching politics in English for 2 weeks, you need a pretty functional level of English to do that. Those are not concrete topics, and understanding abstract ideas is quite difficult at a basic level. I mean, even my best kids who could hold a conversation with you and probably will score at least 80% on the centre test in Japan, would have a hard time with that type of course.