PDA

View Full Version : Fukushima radiation

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 09:38
"Hey so don't eat any seafood or go to the beach if you plan on having kids"

^What I have been hearing from my brother lately.

Japan: radioactive water leak at Fukushima classed as ‘serious incident’ | euronews, world news (http://www.euronews.com/2013/08/28/japan-radioactive-water-leak-at-fukushima-classed-as-serious-incident/)

Any thoughts on this? The past two years I haven't been paying enough attention, I am starting to feel like I should. I mean.. superpowers are cool. Cancer isn't.

coop52
August 30th, 2013, 09:55
It's been coming up on my Facebook almost on a daily basis for the past week or so. I haven't been paying that much attention since I live on the opposite coast and don't go out that way very often.

Ini
August 30th, 2013, 09:57
unless you are a fisherman working along the hamadori coast I don't see how it'll affect you?

Antonath
August 30th, 2013, 10:10
Like the original Fukushima radiation problems, at the moment it's only a local issue. The radioactive water hasn't made it to the Pacific... yet. When it does, it will still be a local problem (the ocean is a fairly large thing to dilute the radioactive water in), but "local" will become bigger. Fishing and beach-tourist industries close by will be pretty much dead, and that will spread if the flow continues. Still, it won't come inland, and it's not airborne, so unless you're posted right on the coast, you should be relatively safe. Rain shouldn't be a huge issue, because evaporation should leave the radioactive particles behind: the rain from Chernobyl was radioactive because it brought down the particles that were already up there.

The biggest problem will be if the fishing industry tries the same thing the farmers did: labeling produce from the area as from somewhere else and selling it.

Ini
August 30th, 2013, 10:13
her profile says shes in fucking kobe. If shes going to lose the ability to have children it'll be the result of a horrific gang rape rather than anything to do with radiation.

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 10:25
Cheers, thanks for the input. I honestly don't read the news or pay much attention to politics, but there seems to be a huge resurgence of radiation articles this week and I don't really know jack about it. My brother tends to go a bit extreme on these things. I just don't want an extra limb or anything.

Ini
August 30th, 2013, 10:27
you should probably leave japan at once, everyone knows this is what the whole of tohoku currently looks like

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/virtual/img/ex1102_img/1102pb11.jpg

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 10:32
Yeah.. you are probably right. It's a shame, really.

Ini
August 30th, 2013, 10:34
its a shame you are leaving japan? not really, I'll drive your ill informed ass to the airport if you want

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 10:43
How generous of you. :)

BeckyJones
August 30th, 2013, 11:14
Don't eat seafood because of the mercury, not the cesium

Ini
August 30th, 2013, 11:16
dont eat sushi because of the parasites

mothy
August 30th, 2013, 20:55
Good Christ on the shitter. I thought we went through this enough two years ago. If people would quit worrying about this shit and get their minds back on the real issues caused by the events of the disaster of March 11th, TEPCO might have reimbursed me for my wine bottles by now.

tedcase
September 9th, 2013, 15:28
I for one welcome overhyped radiation concerns. I will reduce competition should I decide to apply to JET again.

greengoo
September 9th, 2013, 17:03
you should probably leave japan at once, everyone knows this is what the whole of tohoku currently looks like

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/virtual/img/ex1102_img/1102pb11.jpg

I love the ALT pumping poison water to the people with a big genki smile. Brings a tear to my eye.

Libellule
November 8th, 2013, 00:35
David Suzuki's Fukushima Warning Is Dire And Scary (VIDEO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/04/david-suzuki-fukushima-warning_n_4213061.html)

Now that's a little scary. Probably won't stop me from applying, but still.

Ini
November 8th, 2013, 08:56
"I have seen a paper which says that if in fact the fourth plant goes under in an earthquake and those rods are exposed, it's bye bye Japan and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate,"

what a load of old bollocks.
reactor 4 has had extensive work done on it and wont collapse in a earthquake unless its another level 9.
the rods in reactor 4 are starting to be removed this week and will all be gone by the end of next year
the rods in reactor 4 are used and so are unlikely to heat up to a critical point if exposed to the air. plant operators all over the world have dropped spent fuel containers in the past and it never causes any widespread problems.

BeckyJones
November 8th, 2013, 09:07
"I have seen a paper which says that if in fact the fourth plant goes under in an earthquake and those rods are exposed, it's bye bye Japan and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate,"

what a load of crazy. I especially like the idea that one nuclear plant has enough fissionable material TO DOOM THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it were to escape the plant

Ini
November 8th, 2013, 09:16
why should anyone listen to david suzuki? he is a zoologist and genetics professor who has consistently peddled environmentalist propaganda. I have no idea why people are asking him about the clean up operation at a nuclear plant. Maybe if they find a rare breed of tree frog there they should give him a call........

MJN
November 8th, 2013, 10:29
Media fear-mongering is a powerful tool.

coop52
November 8th, 2013, 11:20
Keep in mind that people still worked 300m or so away from the plant in Chernobyl until the 90s and were ok. It's pretty fvcking ridiculous to assume that one plant has the power to harm people as far away as the US.

Gizmotech
November 8th, 2013, 11:40
West Coast Canadian Nut Job. Like I seriously mean nut job.

Gizmotech
November 8th, 2013, 12:14
Radiation.

Problem solved.

ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/lounge/17419-science-thread-post838254.html#post838254)

Page
November 10th, 2013, 17:50
Fukushima disaster: New information about worst-case scenarios. (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/09/fukushima_disaster_new_information_about_worst_case_scenarios.single.html)