PDA

View Full Version : Outage Tuesday Oct 1st

Antonath
October 1st, 2013, 16:00
We had an outage today (Tues Oct 1st). I was getting database errors for about four hours, from around 12pm to 4pm (JST).

If we're hoping to attract people now that Official has killed their applying section, this does not help.

word
October 1st, 2013, 16:21
Yeah, that sucked. No idea what happened; apparently BB couldn't even get on an' had to contact the hosting company. Hopefully the issue has been more or less completely resolved.

Ini
October 1st, 2013, 16:50
I'd say without any uninformed dribble or outright incompetence it was probably the best 4 hours the site has seen in quite some time

word
October 1st, 2013, 17:47
Hey now! We're doin' what we can!

http://www.kodyaz.com/images/pics/pebkac-problem-exists-between-keyboard-and-chair.jpg

Beer Baron
October 1st, 2013, 17:58
Hi,

As word said, I couldn't even get connect via SSH to see what the problem was. I got over 2000 emails from the server saying basically 'oh dear, we've got a problem' in regards too many people accessing the database.

Hosting company says we ran out of memory (RAM). This happened again this morning.

I said to them that the site is at the lowest usage since we opened the site years ago and running out of memory makes no sense. We could be under a DDoS attack, but I doubt it - we're not exactly on anybody's radars.

I've said to the hosting company many times that I suspect its a configuration issue with the server. Unfortunately if it doesn't get resolved I'm going to have to look elsewhere to host the site.

Libellule
October 2nd, 2013, 05:19
Official has killed their applying section

Why is this? Do they do this every year around application time?

Sorry, I'm new :s

Beer Baron
October 2nd, 2013, 05:32

Unsure - I'm not really up to date on these things. Maybe word will know more. However, a year or so ago the JET programme was in decline and as far as I know it still is. I hope it isn't a sign that the program is coming to an end...

Teishou
October 2nd, 2013, 07:41

No, this is a first. The applying section has been there for years, but they've removed it permanently now. You won't be able to access any information from there, unfortunately.

Ini
October 2nd, 2013, 08:02
no great loss, nobody on official knows what they are talking about

Page
October 2nd, 2013, 08:31
I wouldn't say the JET Program is in decline as much as I'd say need for forums about the JET Program are in decline. Most new JETs stick to FB.

Ini
October 2nd, 2013, 08:34
Doubt its in decline as the government said in april they wanted it to increase 3 fold in the next few years

Gizmotech
October 2nd, 2013, 09:06
I wouldn't say the JET Program is in decline as much as I'd say need for forums about the JET Program are in decline. Most new JETs stick to FB.

If that isn't the saddest thing to hear I don't know what is. Facebok is the ultimate echo chamber of idiocy, where everyone says the same thing, and noone knows what they are talking about at all.

I mean ini is right, none of us know jack shit about this thing.... but atleast with enough voices who have done it you can sort of sound out some parts of the process... now a bunch of noobs are going to talk about it on facebook with absolutely no idea about the process at all, and I sure as shit ain't gonna go track down every new facebook group to offer help.

Lianwen
October 2nd, 2013, 14:11
If I were an applying JET, I'd rather have the advice of itil than from FB, where others are just as lost in the application process.

Randy Paul can write "I really wanna join JET and watch the anime babes please tell me if that's okay for my sop" on facebook and get a bunch of "awwww, yeah man, I totally agree don't forget to write about culture too" on FB; or, Bettercallpaul can write on itil and get a reality check by Ini.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons why Official shut down their aspiring was because Miamicoordinator left. He was a big part in moderating the applying JETs and providing advice, a lot of it probably on his own time.

Teishou
October 2nd, 2013, 14:29
I was wondering about Miami, too. He (I thought she was a she...?) was always really helpful. Shame the forums had to lose him/her.

Lianwen
October 2nd, 2013, 14:54
I think it was confirmed once Miami was a dude. Not sure now.

(I also keep reading the title of this thread as outrage Tuesday Oct 1st)

word
October 2nd, 2013, 14:59
(I also keep reading the title of this thread as outrage Tuesday Oct 1st)
omfg me too

Teishou
October 2nd, 2013, 15:01
Same.

Gizmotech
October 2nd, 2013, 15:04
rawr?

Ini
October 2nd, 2013, 15:12
I just assumed it was about antonath declaring his homosexuality........

zombiekelly
October 2nd, 2013, 18:46
If you want to see a hilarious ball of idiocy, you should see Interac's fb group. Scary thing is that it's only for those who were accepted.

Ini
October 2nd, 2013, 19:23
it's only for those who were accepted.

So everyone who applies then?

Teishou
October 3rd, 2013, 08:02
I wasn't accepted by Interac. Wasn't considered good enough. :<

Ini
October 3rd, 2013, 08:47
Holy shit, did you run the interviewers dog over or are you just a failure at life?

zombiekelly
October 3rd, 2013, 17:07
Nah, he was probably prepared for the interview and it scared them.

Teishou
October 3rd, 2013, 19:04
JET accepted, so I don't know. I'll take the higher paycheck though.

Beer Baron
October 3rd, 2013, 21:13
Closing this thread as it's gone way off topic.