PDA

View Full Version : UK JET Applicants 2014 (Locked)

Pages : [1] 2

Tzvi
October 3rd, 2013, 07:49
This may be a redundant topic but with the next round of JET applications opening soon I thought it might be worth bringing up. Having done a fair bit of research into what is required from our SoPs it seems that there are differences based on the country from which you are applying, bearing that in mind would it make sense to create threads in this forum that would allow for discussion and quick reference for each of these nations rather than see questions come up in more general threads? If that were the case then it might make SoP discussion easier as well as applicants wouldn't run the risk of taking on board information that might be harmful to their statements (such as using an incorrect structure).

I think this would also be a good idea for potential applicants to have some kind of contact with other people in their home countries looking to do this programme which could make preparation easier.

I'm sure people have discussed this before but I couldn't find any threads so I thought I would just throw in my opinion, sorry if this is the wrong place for something like this.

Antonath
October 3rd, 2013, 08:34
Threads for each country is fine. As you said, there can be differences in procedure by country, and even by consulate. So, this is now the UK thread!

Gizmotech
October 3rd, 2013, 10:46
We've done country threads before , but when we cleaned out applying they all got moved. Antonath, want to change the thread title to uk applying 2014?

Antonath
October 3rd, 2013, 10:55
Done!

Fellow Brits, assemble! One of you may get my spot next year!

aayl1
October 3rd, 2013, 11:19
When I leave they'll almost certainly be begging for anyone but a British Jet.

Best ALT EVER.

Jiggit
October 3rd, 2013, 11:20

Best ALT EVER.

Are you from The North?

aayl1
October 3rd, 2013, 11:38
I live in Cheshire, but spent the first ten years of my life in Hertfordshire, so thankfully, have a southern accent.

Tzvi
October 3rd, 2013, 17:08

Best ALT EVER.

Sounds like you made one hell of an impression. Also what's wrong with being a northerner/ having a northern accent?

Ini
October 3rd, 2013, 17:23
if you have a thick northern accent nobody will be able to understand you, including your fellow ALTs

Tzvi
October 3rd, 2013, 18:26
You don't need to tell me about the perils of a northern accent but having spent 20 of the last 24 years in Manchester I've become desensitised to them, I forget how awful a proper northern accent can be to the unprepared.

Illuria
October 3rd, 2013, 20:41
Wooo British thread! Any current ALTs fancy reading my Personal Statement?

aayl1
October 3rd, 2013, 21:14
I posted in the other thread, but I'm willing to look at statements. Just give me a working day or two to get back to you.

Gizmotech
October 4th, 2013, 01:51
Hey now... one of my good friends in my city has one of the most horrendous northern english accents I have ever heard, and he's on jet. Half the time even the brits don't know wtf he is sayin :P

Illuria
October 4th, 2013, 03:05
Fortunately I'm from down south. Then again, I go to uni in Birmingham so I'm quite experienced in translating incomprehensible babbling, especially with all the 'Yow' and 'Yam' that goes on around here -_-

Tzvi
October 4th, 2013, 03:11
I was at Birmingham uni for 4 years, one of my best mates had an impenetrable black country accent, I'm still not sure if he really hated me and I just didn't understand him.

Illuria
October 4th, 2013, 03:19
I was at Birmingham uni for 4 years, one of my best mates had an impenetrable black country accent, I'm still not sure if he really hated me and I just didn't understand him.

Haha nice, which uni? I'm at UoB. My ex of 1 1/2 years was from around these parts, still find it difficult even after spending that long with someone who talks like it XD

Tzvi
October 4th, 2013, 03:52
Haha nice, which uni? I'm at UoB. My ex of 1 1/2 years was from around these parts, still find it difficult even after spending that long with someone who talks like it XD

UoB was my uni as well, lived on Tiverton and Dawlish if you know Selly Oak, fantastic campus still miss it.

Illuria
October 4th, 2013, 04:17
UoB was my uni as well, lived on Tiverton and Dawlish if you know Selly Oak, fantastic campus still miss it.
Right now sat in my room on Dale Road, opposite Tiverton =D
I reckon I'll miss it as well, although probably not for a few months if I end up in Japan haha

Ocaoca
October 4th, 2013, 08:03
Another Brummie here. Left UoB quite a few years ago now though... Slaving away on my personal statement to try to get everything ready for when applications open.

aayl1
October 4th, 2013, 08:08
I went to UoB too! Get Junko to do your reference if she's still there (and you know her). Pretty sure she got me onto the programme.

Tzvi
October 4th, 2013, 08:20
That's quite the alumni collection we have here! I'm working on my statement as well at the moment and the going is slow. It doesn't help either that I'm having a real headache getting one of my references sorted, I asked for it two months ago from my old boss but he has to try and find loopholes in the reference policy there which is insanely strict (it actually says you can't comment on a persons suitability for the role you are writing the reference for!).

Illuria
October 4th, 2013, 08:21
I went to UoB too! Get Junko to do your reference if she's still there (and you know her). Pretty sure she got me onto the programme.

So many UoB! Junko literally went on leave as I got back, I managed to get one e-mail from her before she left. She taught me for my Japanese Module Outside the Main Discipline in first year (although I didn't do all that well, mostly focused on my main degree modules!) but yeah, leave. I'm in contact with Yuki although she doesn't really know me which kinda sucks. I've got two people from my department to do my references since I don't really have any other academic contacts and no professional contacts (Year in Industry won't give references. Stupid policies...). Kinda worries me a bit but there's not all that much I can do about it.

EDIT: Woah Tzvi, you posted while I was typing haha. Yep, same policy from IBM (who I did my YINI with). It's so they don't get sued. If they write a bad reference, they could get sued by the person for 'mis-representing' them. If they write a good reference and then the person underperforms, they could get sued by the company for, again, 'mis-representing' the person. So stupid that this is now a common industry thing -_-

EDIT2: aayl I've noted a mistake on my personal statement, there's a sentence that doesn't flow properly. I think my train of thought got slightly derailed. I'm rephrasing it now. I'll leave you to find it yourself though as if I try and say 'Oh replace this sentence with this' it just ends up being a mess.

Jiggit
October 4th, 2013, 08:44
There's a university in Birmingham? Sounds ghastly.

Tzvi
October 4th, 2013, 08:47
Is this module beginners Japanese by any chance? I remember when I started at Birmingham in 2008 I wanted to make that my first MOMD but in our introductory lecture for my main degree when the lecturer was explaining MoMDs he said (to the whole lecture hall) "Whatever you do never take beginners Japanese because you will fail" no one even asked about it! That put me off trying to learn for a long time.

Sorry to hear you reference problems Illuria, I got lucky because my former boss really wants to help me and the other person I got the reference from (who works for the same place) just decided to write me a great reference anyway. I'm not sure she actually checked the rules to be honest!

EDIT: Also aayl1 I don't want to be a pain but at some point in the next week or so would it be ok if I sent you a copy of my statement as well? I want to try a draft that isn't as rigidly stuck to the guidelines so it will flow better, if you have too many people pestering you I'll ask someone else.

Illuria
October 4th, 2013, 09:04
There's a university in Birmingham? Sounds ghastly.

The university's lovely. Birmingham, not so much.

Tzvi, yeah it was. Introduction to Japanese I think, something like that. But basically yeah the beginner's Japanese course. I can attest to it being very very difficult, I think I got like 47% haha (bearing in mind, my actual degree I got 69% first and second years, and 67% last year). I've done GCSEs in French, German and Mandarin, and Mandarin was definitely the hardest out of those three. Harder than Japanese or not I'm not sure, although I'd say it likely is harder since there's nothing like Hiragana to help with some of the sounding. I haven't even mentioned my MOMD in my personal statement, and someone who read it suggested maybe put more about 'Why Japan?' in there. Guess I might need to rewrite some bits. I was already at 998 words T_T

P.S. I started Birmingham in 2009. Did two years, did a YINI, back for another two years (undergrad Master's).

aayl1
October 4th, 2013, 19:58
Yeah, anyone can whizz me their SoP and I'll try to take a look as soon as I can.

Aurano
October 4th, 2013, 23:47
Hi folks!

I'm applying this October as well. I'm from the Wirral; it's the little peninsula between Liverpool and North Wales.

Good luck to all!

Ocaoca
October 5th, 2013, 05:10
Is there anyone else who is using professional references rather than ones from Fumi/Junko/Uni tutors? Both of my references are going to be from work colleagues (my Heads of Department). Does it make any difference? Although I got in touch with Junko again this May, it's been almost five years since I took Japanese with her :S Would it still be better to get her reference or just go with the professional ones? If it helps, I'm a teacher so the references would be education based.

Illuria
October 5th, 2013, 05:34
You won't get one from Junko. On leave until next May. Sorry!

Tzvi
October 5th, 2013, 05:37
Is there anyone else who is using professional references rather than ones from Fumi/Junko/Uni tutors? Both of my references are going to be from work colleagues (my Heads of Department). Does it make any difference? Although I got in touch with Junko again this May, it's been almost five years since I took Japanese with her :S Would it still be better to get her reference or just go with the professional ones? If it helps, I'm a teacher so the references would be education based.

My references are both professional from my last job, I can't imagine it would have any impact if you didn't have any academic ones. That is especially true if you have left university and want something more contemporary.

Ocaoca
October 5th, 2013, 21:24
My references are both professional from my last job, I can't imagine it would have any impact if you didn't have any academic ones. That is especially true if you have left university and want something more contemporary.

Well that's good at least I don't have to worry about that. Now just got to worry about every other thing!

Aurano
October 6th, 2013, 00:42
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the actual opening date for UK applications?

therealwindycity
October 7th, 2013, 08:58
They like to keep people waiting - you just have to keep checking the official website (wow, it looks like they haven't changed the site design since 1998 ...) until the application pops up.

Jamie Solo
October 7th, 2013, 19:02
I'll be applying for the programme this year too. I'm from North Wales so my accent isn't quite as bad as the English Northerners :P

Illuria
October 7th, 2013, 19:08
Do you speak Welsh though? That would be more fun than a strong accent methinks

Jamie Solo
October 7th, 2013, 19:34
Yeah I can. Just drop random Welsh words into conversation and I could convince them it was an English word. All the possibilities... ;)

Tzvi
October 7th, 2013, 19:37
Yeah I can. Just drop random Welsh words into conversation and I could convince them it was an English word. All the possibilities... ;)

You should write your SoP in Welsh, it would make you stand out!. As a side note I spent every summer of my childhood in South Wales and pretty much no one there speaks Welsh.

Jamie Solo
October 7th, 2013, 19:54
You should write your SoP in Welsh, it would make you stand out!. As a side note I spent every summer of my childhood in South Wales and pretty much no one there speaks Welsh.

Haha, well I don't see any requirement about the SoP being in English. Maybe they'll give me a job to save the effort of translating... a guy can dream! And yeah, the attitudes to the language are completely different in my area. All the schools teach through in Welsh and its only once your out of ES that you actually get a choice.

Aurano
October 7th, 2013, 20:50
Where about in North Wales are you from Jamie? I'm from the Wirral. It's not too far from North Wales.

Was hoping sign ups would open today, but still nothing!...

Jamie Solo
October 7th, 2013, 22:36
I live on Anglesey, the middle of nowhere. But I do commute to Chester 2 days a week for a course so I'm still in touch with 'civilisation'.

And yeah, I've been checking too. I'm thinking it might come out at the end of next week as a good chunk of Uni events are taking place next week/following week.

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 03:12
From looking at previous years, I think it will release towards the end of next week...perhaps closer to the 20th...

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 04:06
Hmm and the application is due in by the last Monday in November. I thought they would have gave us longer than that to prepare it all. I'm glad I got my references sorted prior to the application now!

Jamie Solo
October 8th, 2013, 04:33
Isn't it the last Friday? And from what I've read the deadline was extended last year, so maybe the same will happen again so we can agonise some more over our SoP etc. ;)

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 05:15
Yeah probably is last Friday. I just know it was the end of November. I hear so many different things about the Personal Statement and it is kind of confusing. I'm just going to follow the websites instructions for it and do it the way I feel best. If I start using other peoples advice too much then it may start to lose originality and not stand out as much.

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 06:09
How have you guys been structuring you Personal Statements? I have the 3 main parts that the JET UK asks for, however, I feel as though this kind of...limits the freeflow structure of my essay. I think I much prefer the US layout.

katsuobushi
October 8th, 2013, 06:50
Its not so much having a Norvun' accent, its speakingsobloodyquicklythatnobodyinjapancanunderstandwhatyouaresaying. You could speak with an RP accent for all they care, it means nothing if you can't simplify your language to another person.

I'm from the desolate North-East and have had no problems in Japan. I remember living with a guy from Cambridge when I went to this hostel in Nagano. I had to translate everything he said to the Americans cos they couldn't understand a word he would say. :lol:

Application should be released from around Friday next (18th.) The deadline is still November 29th, although they will probably extend that because you always got hundreds of people having to furiously e-mail the consulate because they can't find a doctor, their house has exploded or a kitten ate their transcript. (Or a combination of all three - either way it sounds like a great weekend.)

I must admit, I tried to create my personal statement with a bit of originality to it, but kinda loses a lot of the main points a lot of critics hint at. The problem is, people over the internet don't know you or have your background, so its hard to express just how suitable it is. I come from a very Japanese background, having majored in Japanese at uni and lived there for over two and half years - so its kinda stupid to talk about how interested in Japan I am - its pretty damn obvious from my what's in my application. So I just focused on how I adapted to living in Japan and what I did over there to contribute towards improving international relations/language skills and whatnot. Basically just write how you want it to sound and answer the questions they ask on the outline. Its not too difficult really. I've written mine in such a way that it doesn't read like your stereotypical cover-letter but has a bit of a more creative and natural flow to it. The only advice I can give is to try and link the various sections together. I think mine is broken down into three 300 word sections.

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 07:48
Yeah mines pretty much broken in to three sections as well. However, I've never really lived abroad besides the odd holiday and I've never really taught. I studied beginners Japanese at college and continued to learn it independently throughout university, and also attended Japanese Society nights with Japanese exchange students. The main reason I want to participate in JET though is because my long term goal is to teach. I intend to do a PGCE in the future and I feel that the JET Programme is a great way to combine gaining some experience in teaching with a long time interest.

I kind of feel like I'm at a disadvantage though considering all the stories I hear about people already with teaching experience applying now. It's becoming super competitive, so I'm just going to do the best I can and hope for the best. I know the JET Programme isn't a career but I feel it's a great stepping stone to where I want to get to, whilst being in an environment that I have an interest in.

Oh well, only time will tell! :^_^:

Gizmotech
October 8th, 2013, 08:45
Yeah mines pretty much broken in to three sections as well. However, I've never really lived abroad besides the odd holiday and I've never really taught. I studied beginners Japanese at college and continued to learn it independently throughout university, and also attended Japanese Society nights with Japanese exchange students. The main reason I want to participate in JET though is because my long term goal is to teach. I intend to do a PGCE in the future and I feel that the JET Programme is a great way to combine gaining some experience in teaching with a long time interest.

I kind of feel like I'm at a disadvantage though considering all the stories I hear about people already with teaching experience applying now. It's becoming super competitive, so I'm just going to do the best I can and hope for the best. I know the JET Programme isn't a career but I feel it's a great stepping stone to where I want to get to, whilst being in an environment that I have an interest in.

Don't feel put out by those experiences that other people are sharing. What I want you to do is think about your life, when have you ever taught anyone anything? Seriously, even small examples can be used to link back to the long term goal of the PGCE even if those teaching experiences aren't formal.

For instance, I connected teaching marksmanship in the military, peer exam review (where I functionally taught them as they understood shit about the class), writing workshops in Uni, and then my actual ESL teaching experience. The only official teaching stuff is the ESL, but the rest of it was just as convincing.

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 09:02
Hmm... Well I did from time to time help out teaching the students at college how to use Google effective for research. I'm quite useful with computers so I know how to use all those search engines really effectively as well as the college/university digital libraries. My old Business tutor used to give me the task of making sure everyone knew how to use the research resources effectively with a brief 10 minute explanation in front of the class. This is pretty much the only account of any kind of teaching I can think of. I'm not really sure how relevant it is.

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 09:53
Basically just write how you want it to sound and answer the questions they ask on the outline. Its not too difficult really. I've written mine in such a way that it doesn't read like your stereotypical cover-letter but has a bit of a more creative and natural flow to it. The only advice I can give is to try and link the various sections together. I think mine is broken down into three 300 word sections.

The problem I have with my PS is the 3 different sections I have, each answering one of the questions. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the craft to segue the sections seamlessly. Do you think this will hurt my chances with the program? Or is it based more on content, than structure?

Hmm... Well I did from time to time help out teaching the students at college how to use Google effective for research. I'm quite useful with computers so I know how to use all those search engines really effectively as well as the college/university digital libraries. My old Business tutor used to give me the task of making sure everyone knew how to use the research resources effectively with a brief 10 minute explanation in front of the class. This is pretty much the only account of any kind of teaching I can think of. I'm not really sure how relevant it is.

I was going to mention how JET relates to my future aspiration of teaching too, but I literally do not have the space for it. Also, the US version specifies that you mention this, whereas the UK one doesn't :(

therealwindycity
October 8th, 2013, 10:03
As long as it's well-written, easy to read, and includes all the relevant information, that's probably more important than the format. Still, it is probably best to have a coherent narrative; showing that you can write well is, of course, a point in your favor.

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 10:31
As a current or former member of JET, have you any idea of the amount of people that apply compared to those that are shortlisted? I'm referring to the UK specifically, although any information on other regions will be appreciated :)
similarly, how hard is it to get an interview? As long as I don't mess up my application, have a well written PS that pertains to JET's requirements, have 2 relevant references, etc...I would at the very least be considered right? I guess I'm asking, typically, who's accepted and who's rejected?
sorry for all the questions.

Gizmotech
October 8th, 2013, 10:46
That's all you can do really. From there it depends on how many people who are equally good as you are apply for the program. So long as you do everything right, you should be able to at least get an interview.

Antonath
October 8th, 2013, 11:13
As a current or former member of JET, have you any idea of the amount of people that apply compared to those that are shortlisted? I'm referring to the UK specifically, although any information on other regions will be appreciated :)
similarly, how hard is it to get an interview? As long as I don't mess up my application, have a well written PS that pertains to JET's requirements, have 2 relevant references, etc...I would at the very least be considered right? I guess I'm asking, typically, who's accepted and who's rejected?
sorry for all the questions.
The number of people sent every year fluctuates a lot depending on how many JETs are leaving, whether particular boards of education want more or less ALTs, and all sorts of factors. I think the UK sends 150-200 people a year, but I may be wrong.

If you have a well-written and relevant application and don't make mistakes, you should get an interview. There are semi-apocryphal stories of applicants being rejected for very small mistakes like using a staple instead of a paper clip (or vice versa), so make sure you follow instructions carefully.

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 15:27
The number of people sent every year fluctuates a lot depending on how many JETs are leaving, whether particular boards of education want more or less ALTs, and all sorts of factors. I think the UK sends 150-200 people a year, but I may be wrong.

If you have a well-written and relevant application and don't make mistakes, you should get an interview. There are semi-apocryphal stories of applicants being rejected for very small mistakes like using a staple instead of a paper clip (or vice versa), so make sure you follow instructions carefully.

If I'm reading the table correctly, last year they sent 136, but the years previous, it was consistently over 160. :(
I've heard of the stapling and mentioning of anime/manga stories...I'll have to triple check my application, before sending it off.

Jiggit
October 8th, 2013, 15:47
I mean I don't know how the interviewers make their decisions of course but I know that after my interview I felt like I'd been completely mundane and that plenty of ALTs here seem to have randomly decided to go to Japan for a "gap year" and seem to only have a passing interest/knowledge of "Japanese culture", whether that is tradishunal or weeaboo. The mistake many people make, as I've said many times before, is assuming they need to convince the interviewers how much they are interested in Japan. A lot of people have completely fantastical notions of what Japan is like and only set themselves up for massive disappointment/culture shock. Generally those people get those ideas from anime and that's why saying your interest in coming to Japan is because of anime is pretty dumb. Remember anime in Japan is largely made for outcasts by outcasts; it is an escape from mainstream Japanese society/culture. It is wish-fulfilment for the powerless and lonely of Japan, though of course those people exist everywhere, which is why it's achieved worldwide popularity. But if you want to make a community with those outcasts you're better off staying in America. People who seek to come to Japan because they believe it will be a place where they belong are fooling themselves on a massive scale.

chikorita
October 8th, 2013, 16:02

This was pretty much my background as well. I studied Japanese through university, but had zero teaching experience. In my SoP, I made a big point of saying how studying Japanese has given me an insight into the difficulties of learning a foreign language that is very different to your native language, and how this could enable me to teach more effectively because I understand what my students are going through when they're studying English, and how they might be feeling.

Try to think less about what you don't have in terms of the application but more about how you can turn what you do have into something positive and applicable to JET. Also, it's not all about teaching experience/ whatever. There are applicants who have huge amounts of teaching experience, have studied abroad in Japan, speak fluent Japanese, etc etc, who are turned down. There are plenty of other qualities that they're looking for, such as enthusiasm, adaptability, interest in education, and so on.

chikorita
October 8th, 2013, 16:09
I mean I don't know how the interviewers make their decisions of course but I know that after my interview I felt like I'd been completely mundane and that plenty of ALTs here seem to have randomly decided to go to Japan for a "gap year" and seem to only have a passing interest/knowledge of "Japanese culture", whether that is tradishunal or weeaboo. The mistake many people make, as I've said many times before, is assuming they need to convince the interviewers how much they are interested in Japan. A lot of people have completely fantastical notions of what Japan is like and only set themselves up for massive disappointment/culture shock. Generally those people get those ideas from anime and that's why saying your interest in coming to Japan is because of anime is pretty dumb. Remember anime in Japan is largely made for outcasts by outcasts; it is an escape from mainstream Japanese society/culture. It is wish-fulfilment for the powerless and lonely of Japan, though of course those people exist everywhere, which is why it's achieved worldwide popularity. But if you want to make a community with those outcasts you're better off staying in America. People who seek to come to Japan because they believe it will be a place where they belong are fooling themselves on a massive scale.

+1 this is a great summary of it, anime/manga in Japan are nowhere near as mainstream as a lot of foreigners think, especially in rural areas largely populated by older/elderly people who occasionally watch Anpanman with the kids but other than that don't go anywhere near anime/manga and have no further interest. If someone came and started talking about anime to my co-workers, they'd be like, "Oh, uh, Bleach, right. That's, uh, the one with the pirates, isn't it? I think my kids watch it... wait, are there ninjas in it?" There was far more of an interest in and a community around anime/manga on my university campus in the UK than there is where I live in Japan.

And I say this as someone who has a Pokemon as their user avatar :p

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 20:37
That's some useful info, thanks! Using my own account of learning a language to understand what Japanese students may be going through is a great idea. I'll be sure to touch on that. I was actually doing something similar for third part of my SoP. I was recounting my own learning experience to see if I could draw ideas from what made me enthusiastic and motivated to learn, and what I found fun in general whilst learning.

On a side note - I just realised my university tutor stabled my transcript together so I'm going to have to get another printed and stamped/signed again. I'm thankful someone mentioned that before I sent it off with my application!

PaddyPakku
October 8th, 2013, 21:02
On a side note - I just realised my university tutor stabled my transcript together so I'm going to have to get another printed and stamped/signed again. I'm thankful someone mentioned that before I sent it off with my application!

I actually wondered about this too. My transcript was stapled too, although, it's like 5 pages long.

Does anybody know the rules of having transcripts staples together?

uthinkimlost?
October 8th, 2013, 21:37
Just
Remove
The
Staples.

Aurano
October 8th, 2013, 23:55
I actually wondered about this too. My transcript was stapled too, although, it's like 5 pages long.

Does anybody know the rules of having transcripts staples together?

Your transcript is 5 pages long!?

Mine is only 2 pages. Why do I feel like I'm missing something now...

Jamie Solo
October 9th, 2013, 00:05
My transcript is only 1 page. I almost had a heart attack in thinking why my Uni screwed me over. But all the info is there. How are yours longer?

PaddyPakku
October 9th, 2013, 00:22
Ok, so 5 pages might have been an over exaggeration, it's actually 3. But my university can't give me a transcript for my current modules, so I need to get an additional sheet for that now. So it'll end up being 4 pages...most likely

Aurano
October 9th, 2013, 00:29
I did a 3 year degree. First year had quite a lot of modules, about 12 in total I think, so that takes up 1 page. The second and third year where only 5 modules each, so both years fit on the second page nicely.

Jamie Solo
October 9th, 2013, 00:58
I did a 3 year degree. First year had quite a lot of modules, about 12 in total I think, so that takes up 1 page. The second and third year where only 5 modules each, so both years fit on the second page nicely.

12? Wow, I only did six modules for each of my 3 years. But the course I'm on now has about 10 in total across the year.

Aurano
October 9th, 2013, 01:07
12? Wow, I only did six modules for each of my 3 years. But the course I'm on now has about 10 in total across the year.

I am not sure if it was exactly 12 but it was something along those lines. In the first year of a Business Studies degree they just try to cram as much fundamental knowledge of the core business subjects in your head as possible. Business is a very wide subject and has aspects of everything from law, to psychology, to mathematics... so there is a lot to cover. I chose all my optionals in finance though during the second and third year just to have some type of specialisation in the business field. :)

Jamie Solo
October 9th, 2013, 03:01
I am not sure if it was exactly 12 but it was something along those lines. In the first year of a Business Studies degree they just try to cram as much fundamental knowledge of the core business subjects in your head as possible. Business is a very wide subject and has aspects of everything from law, to psychology, to mathematics... so there is a lot to cover. I chose all my optionals in finance though during the second and third year just to have some type of specialisation in the business field. :)

Ah fair enough. I've done a law degree and at my uni they just did broad modules like 'Intro to Law' which covered about 500 years worth of legal history and developments. Talk about false advertising! =p

Tzvi
October 9th, 2013, 03:14
My BA transcript came on two pages because there were a lot of bitesize modules that finished quite quickly. That was especially true in my first year where I must have done around a dozen modules as well.

Aurano
October 9th, 2013, 04:49
In some ways I wish I had did my degree in something else now. I don't feel specialised in anything really. Once upon a time, before I decided to go back into education, I was a bit of a Physics buff. In fact it was two influential people from physics gave me a passion to teach in the first place. The legendary Carl Sagan, and a Dutch MIT professor called Walter Lewin who has won multiple teaching awards. I still ask myself why it is I am holding a degree in Business and not in Physics.

Gizmotech
October 9th, 2013, 06:33
University transcripts vary in length, some can be 5 pages, some can be 1. It just depends how much information they are putting in there.

Do not worry about it, so long as it says you are graduating, or will graduate, and has a complete list of marks, you are fine.

aayl1
October 9th, 2013, 11:18
Think mine was only a page.

Just going back to the previous page's discussion, I really think the interview is there to make sure you're just a decent guy that can hold a conversation. One of my friends here says that before the interview there was someone outside memorising the four islands of Japan and their respective populations. She was all "Japan has four islands?!".

She got in, and the other guy did not.

Gizmotech
October 9th, 2013, 11:29
The interview is where they determine you can function as a normal human being, and adapt to situations you may or may not have been prepared for. They're looking to see your answers and reactions to things, both from your application information, and potential scenarios that could happen.

I know two very over qualified people who applied for JET. Linguists at Uni, took TESL teaching at Uni (with practical teaching experience and government level certification), one was probably JLPT 3 --> 2, both had visited tons of countries (one had a travel bug, the other was a diplomats daughter). Neither of them got in, I suspect due to being poor interviewers and adapting to those types of dynamic/stressful situations. They lacked a certain presence and charisma that many people don't have early in their life.

Heck, I look back at myself when I was 23 and I wouldn't have made it on JET either.... I would never have made it through the interview. I would've been too nervous, too rigid, not confident enough, unable to gauge their reactions.... At 28, after 5 more years of dealing with real people in real situations (ie, not school), the interview was a joke.

Hell, (ANECDOTE TIME!) in the Canadian interview I totally flubbed part of it. They asked me to teach the animals on the Canadian coins, and I taught it perfectly. Except for the fact I totally mixed up Moose and Caribou (They're big, relatively ugly northern Canadian animals... what do I care :P). At the end they told me, and we all had a good laugh. I still got in to JET.

Aurano
October 9th, 2013, 21:24
Yeah, considering I'm 28 and have some life experience under my belt I'm hoping that it will give me an advantage in some way or form. I consider myself to be independent and fairly rational as well. I just hope I can show these traits in the interview (if need be) as well as keep up with the other aspects. Such as teaching about various animals on coins! :D

Aurano
October 12th, 2013, 21:03
Man, has everyone lost interest or what? This thread seems to have come to a stand still! :)

Jamie Solo
October 12th, 2013, 22:04
Nah. But my current course is an entire week's worth of stuff condensed in 2 days so Thursday and Fridays I have no time for anything else :P

And having just turned 22, I feel young applying now! :roll:

Aurano
October 12th, 2013, 22:26
Nah. But my current course is an entire week's worth of stuff condensed in 2 days so Thursday and Fridays I have no time for anything else :P

Don't feel young applying. You're at the perfect age to do this! And if you get on the programme it will look really good on your C.V.

I turn 29 in less than 2 weeks and I feel too old to apply. In fact, if I was any older I probably wouldn't apply.

Illuria
October 13th, 2013, 03:52

I turned 22 in August, and I'm applying. There are people who apply having just come out of a 3-year degree that manage to get on so it's not like there's a lower age-limit or anything like that.

Just about to finish the second draft of my Personal Statement, having received some excellent feedback from some members of this forum. Go ahead, ask them, they don't bite =)

I should be able to get a correct academic transcript now, my university managed to mess up and not push my record forward, so I wasn't even marked as being here, let alone being on the modules I am this year. I'll let you guys know how many pages it is but I can't see it being too many. Then again, first year I did 10 modules and this is my fifth year so it might be on the long side haha

EDIT: Must clarify, the feedback was of a good quality, not that they were gushing about the statement haha

katsuobushi
October 13th, 2013, 04:28
The problem I have with my PS is the 3 different sections I have, each answering one of the questions. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the craft to segue the sections seamlessly. Do you think this will hurt my chances with the program? Or is it based more on content, than structure?

I mean let's be honest here - this is not a competition over who can write the most fartiest, bullshit-sounding personal statement (otherwise I would win hands down) its just trying to get across your passion and suitability across, so I don't think you will penalised if you do make it sound a bit like a cover-letter. I had a friend e-mail me over theirs from a few years ago and it seemed a lot colder and stiffer than mine - but she got in, so I guess there is no magic formula.

Just write each section out in 300 words and then trim them down. I don't think it matters if you clumsily link the sections together. You could even do it horrific Japanese translation style "As for my English teaching experiences..." etc etc.

I was going to mention how JET relates to my future aspiration of teaching too, but I literally do not have the space for it. Also, the US version specifies that you mention this, whereas the UK one doesn't :(

There is a specific section on the UK application form that deals with this iirc, so you don't need to talk about this.

katsuobushi
October 13th, 2013, 04:49

This in a nutshell.

You need to be adapt at explaining British culture (whatever that is) and obviously know about our glorious rain-soaked land of zero-hour contracts and Costa Coffee lattes. The amount of people who apply to JET thinking that its an exercise on who knows the most about Japan, miss the point of the programme entirely. To be honest with you, I would be completely appalled if they sent over representatives of our country and they were anime nerds. What kind of example is that? Where are the casual racists, the football hooligans or the tight-jean wearing Hoxton hipsters with the ironic t-shirts (oh wait they get in the JET Programme anyway.)

Its funny you should mention the whole sub-culture thing. I remember me and my Japanese friend going to the Tokyo Game Show and him telling me those Cosplayers aren't part of Japan. He seemed a bit embarrassed about the whole thing.

katsuobushi
October 13th, 2013, 05:26
Has anyone checked the Facebook group? Oh man, its always good for a laugh. These people need to be slapped as soon as they got off the plane at Narita. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to apply this year. (I know not everyone is like that but still...)

People thinking that JET is some fait d'accompli or that they are genuinely going to make a difference to kid's lives by teaching them English. I taught as an ALT for 6 months in Machida (friggin' loved it actually) and made more difference with the kids by pissing around and playing games.

I'm going for CIR this year anyway. Unfortunately us Brits tend to get much more translation-led placements so your Japanese has to be around N1 level. Hopefully I should be around that level if I get an interview in February. Just need to open my books and relearn everything I've forgotten. I seriously don't care if I get in anyway, its just another job application.

I would say to anyone who applies as an ALT and doesn't get in, then seriously consider China or Korea. My girlfriend is Chinese and I am seriously thinking of heading over there in a few years. The benefits seem a lot more attractive to me if I was wanting to get into TEFL. Far more rougher around the edges than Japan but the benefits are much nicer.

Gizmotech
October 13th, 2013, 07:31
This in a nutshell.

You need to be adapt at explaining British culture (whatever that is) and obviously know about our glorious rain-soaked land of zero-hour contracts and Costa Coffee lattes. The amount of people who apply to JET thinking that its an exercise on who knows the most about Japan, miss the point of the programme entirely. To be honest with you, I would be completely appalled if they sent over representatives of our country and they were anime nerds. What kind of example is that? Where are the casual racists, the football hooligans or the tight-jean wearing Hoxton hipsters with the ironic t-shirts (oh wait they get in the JET Programme anyway.)

Its funny you should mention the whole sub-culture thing. I remember me and my Japanese friend going to the Tokyo Game Show and him telling me those Cosplayers aren't part of Japan. He seemed a bit embarrassed about the whole thing.

Ohh come on, it's easy enough to explain British culture. Just sit the person down and be straight with em.. there isn't any. Then give em a cup of tea. *ducks and covers*

Has anyone checked the Facebook group? Oh man, its always good for a laugh. These people need to be slapped as soon as they got off the plane at Narita. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to apply this year. (I know not everyone is like that but still...)

People thinking that JET is some fait d'accompli or that they are genuinely going to make a difference to kid's lives by teaching them English. I taught as an ALT for 6 months in Machida (friggin' loved it actually) and made more difference with the kids by pissing around and playing games.

I'm going for CIR this year anyway. Unfortunately us Brits tend to get much more translation-led placements so your Japanese has to be around N1 level. Hopefully I should be around that level if I get an interview in February. Just need to open my books and relearn everything I've forgotten. I seriously don't care if I get in anyway, its just another job application.

The Facebook groups are excellent echo-chambers, which while making people feel good is about as useful a good old wank. Especially given the people who are most active on facebook are often the people who are the most deluded and narcissistic and need the help.

As for CIR positions, most are predominantly translation based with the occasional international fair tossed in. That role is more community based than the ALT role is.

PaddyPakku
October 13th, 2013, 08:33
I mean let's be honest here - this is not a competition over who can write the most fartiest, bullshit-sounding personal statement (otherwise I would win hands down) its just trying to get across your passion and suitability across, so I don't think you will penalised if you do make it sound a bit like a cover-letter. I had a friend e-mail me over theirs from a few years ago and it seemed a lot colder and stiffer than mine - but she got in, so I guess there is no magic formula.

Just write each section out in 300 words and then trim them down. I don't think it matters if you clumsily link the sections together. You could even do it horrific Japanese translation style "As for my English teaching experiences..." etc etc.

There is a specific section on the UK application form that deals with this iirc, so you don't need to talk about this.

Just for a point of reference, was your friend a UK applicant?
Also, did you participate with the JET programme previously?

This will be my first time applying and although I don't know specifically what they're looking for, I have heard that your essay is 'graded' based on content and style. Wouldn't this kind of imply that the essay has to be somewhat eloquent in its structure?

Aurano
October 14th, 2013, 00:13
Just follow the structure on the JET website. It's good to follow other peoples guidelines and suggestions to gain ideas, but ultimately it should come down to your application being 'unique' so that YOU stand out as an individual. If everyone follows the guidelines that people set out on forums then JET will receive a bunch of applications that are pretty much all structured the same and all focus on the same points - and that is not what you want.

Nell
October 14th, 2013, 00:42
(Just gonna put an end to my lurking now)

How are people starting off their statements? Are you writing an anecdote-type introduction or just ploughing straight into the reasons why you're applying? At the moment I've got a paragraph explaining why I love language/culture and think it's important but I don't know if they are actually bothered about reading that sort of thing... And considering my whole statement is already 1000 words I'm wondering if I should probably get rid of anything irrelevant.

Aurano
October 14th, 2013, 01:12

How are people starting off their statements? Are you writing an anecdote-type introduction or just ploughing straight into the reasons why you're applying? At the moment I've got a paragraph explaining why I love language/culture and think it's important but I don't know if they are actually bothered about reading that sort of thing... And considering my whole statement is already 1000 words I'm wondering if I should probably get rid of anything irrelevant.

Guess it depends how relevant the anecdote is.

My Personal Statement isn't finished yet but it is basically structured like this.

1. General Statement
I opened this statement with a basic 'I wish to participate in the JET Programme because...' line. You have to remember that you only have 800-1000 words to play with for all 3 sections, and considering I have just finished university and am used to having 6000 words in essays to play with then this is actually more difficult than it used to be. So basically, I just get to the point.

I use this section to simply give my own personal reasons why I want to participate in JET.

2. What can I Contribute to the Programme
This is the part that I am working on at the moment. I am basically using this section just to explain my own abilities which I think relate to JET. This can be anything from living abroad or teaching experience, knowing some of the Japanese language, participating in certain Japanese related hobbies or cultural aspects. Even something as simple as being from an area that you feel represents British culture significantly can be a bonus. Remember that JET is about sharing British culture just as much as absorbing Japanese culture.

3. Teaching Ideas
I opened this section with my own personal views of what I feel good teaching consists of. To get ideas for teaching methods I looked around the forums, talked to my sister who is a teacher, and most importantly, I drawn upon my own experience as a student of what I found enjoyable, inspiring, and motivational in a lesson. Considering I have learnt the Japanese language on and off over the last few years, I also have experience in knowing what it's like to try and learn a language, so I am able to sympathise with the students to an extent.

One thing I can say, is just don't use massive word counts talking about one or two things. Just edit the crap out of your statement over and over. Take a 15 minute break then go back and look at it again.

Ocaoca
October 14th, 2013, 06:33

I think that due to the word count and number of applicants, its better to get straight into the reasons why you'd make a good ALT. Of course, if there's a relevant anecdote feel free to tell it, but if you can't explain it in a paragraph or less then it might be better to rethink it. I've started mine by mentioning taking Japanese language classes in High School as an after-school club and how it inspired me to become interested in Japan before jumping into teaching and Japanese language experience. I think covering 'why Japan' is important, but not as important as 'why I'd be a good candidate [for teaching English in Japan]'.

Nell
October 14th, 2013, 20:45
Yeah I think I will just whittle it down a bit more! Other than that I'm pretty sure I've covered all the relevant stuff, although I haven't read it in a while because I've been concentrating on uni stuff, but I've had tutors and family members read it to give me some second opinions which is always helpful!

Ocaoca
October 15th, 2013, 18:03
The weather is horrible and my friend just updated from Japan that its still incredibly warm over there right now. It'd cheer me up if applications opened before half term... Everyone else all set to send off their application?

Illuria
October 15th, 2013, 19:07
The weather is horrible and my friend just updated from Japan that its still incredibly warm over there right now. It'd cheer me up if applications opened before half term... Everyone else all set to send off their application?

I've got everything except the stuff that comes with the application form and my two references who are still writing them =D

Aurano
October 15th, 2013, 19:48
I got my references and working on Personal Statement. Other than that I just need to get some things photocopied which will be a piece of cake!

Bring on the application! :samurai:

Jamie Solo
October 15th, 2013, 21:50
I haven't had much time to work on my Statement yet, but have next week off so will be working at that over the course of the week. Gonna treat it like a sculpture ;)

And on Monday I'll be going in to see each of the people I want to write a reference for me with all the info they'll need. Then it's back to the waiting game!

Illuria
October 21st, 2013, 20:06
Well, the application might not be up, but the site design has dramatically changed. This is getting rather silly at the moment. It's nearly the end of October, we're into the last third of the month. Oh well, guess I'll keep refining my statement. I need to go get my transcript today anyway so it's not like I'm simply waiting on the form. I'm also wondering about the Statement of Physician, they state if you don't claim anything on the Self-Assesment Medical Form then you don't need a Statement of Physician, otherwise you'll need one. This is so ambiguous given the questions in the Self-Assessment Medical Form that I'm considering just getting one anyway.

PaddyPakku
October 21st, 2013, 20:16
Well, the application might not be up, but the site design has dramatically changed. This is getting rather silly at the moment. It's nearly the end of October, we're into the last third of the month. Oh well, guess I'll keep refining my statement. I need to go get my transcript today anyway so it's not like I'm simply waiting on the form. I'm also wondering about the Statement of Physician, they state if you don't claim anything on the Self-Assesment Medical Form then you don't need a Statement of Physician, otherwise you'll need one. This is so ambiguous given the questions in the Self-Assessment Medical Form that I'm considering just getting one anyway.

From looking at years past, it seems like the UK application is usually released in late October. IIRC, one poster said that it was released on Oct 27th one time. So I'm personally waiting until end of the month before I expect the application to release.

In regards to the statement of physician, If you answer yes for any of the questions on the self assesment medical form from 1-5 or something, then you'll need a Statement from the doctore

Jamie Solo
October 21st, 2013, 20:44
I'm in the same boat with the Medical stuff. I'm pretty much 100% there's nothing I need to say yes to and I had my Mam check as well and she agreed so I probably won't bother but part of me is still like... maybe I should?

And to be fair, if they just pushed out a new web layout they probably want to make sure it all runs smoothly before giving an excuse for any added strain. I'll hazard a guess that it'll be out before the end of the week.

Aurano
October 21st, 2013, 21:14
There is only one more Monday left in October so I'm guessing it'll be out no later than next Monday.

I'm a little unsure about the self assessed medical document as well. I had a few problems when I was a kid with my blood and stuff and had to spend 3 or 4 days in hospital. But everyone has problems like that when they are a kid and I'm talking when I was about 6-7 years old. Half of the time it's just your parents overreacting anyway. Any problems I ever had in the first 10 years of my life has never returned. Do I really need to mention stuff like that? Anything else in the last 20 years has been pretty trivial common things, like getting my wisdom teeth removed.

I'm thinking maybe I should just include everything I can remember just to be safer than sorry.

Gizmotech
October 21st, 2013, 21:23
I would recommend that when the application opens you contact your embassy (or consulate) as to whether or not you require the medical form. I know in other territories it is required regardless of medical condition, but that might not be the case for the UK.

katsuobushi
October 22nd, 2013, 07:33
Just for a point of reference, was your friend a UK applicant?

She was indeed. She's on some weird island somewhere. Might be Tsushima, I'm not too sure.

Also, did you participate with the JET programme previously?

Nah. I previously studied in Tokyo and then worked for a translation company. So I mean, I sorta had to plead my ability in how and where I lived. Unlike many plebs in my company, I had to commute in from Kanagawa and lived about 20 minutes away from bumfuck tractor town.

This will be my first time applying and although I don't know specifically what they're looking for, I have heard that your essay is 'graded' based on content and style. Wouldn't this kind of imply that the essay has to be somewhat eloquent in its structure?

Tbh, I'm not too sure what they are looking for and it seems really arbitrary. For some odd reason though, they do like to select candidates from specific backgrounds because they know the BOE in Japan will clap like a seal when we are presented to them like sacrificial lambs. Obviously the whole point of the first stage is to con your way into the system by telling them what you think they want to hear.

edit: Ok, I will give you a bit of straightforward advice though. Don't obsess over it. Don't look at it for 4 or 5 days then reopen it and take another look with a fresher perspective. It will stop certain mistakes and anxieties from working their way into your writing.

katsuobushi
October 22nd, 2013, 07:41
Ohh come on, it's easy enough to explain British culture. Just sit the person down and be straight with em.. there isn't any. Then give em a cup of tea. *ducks and covers*

The weird thing is, I prefer coffee to tea so we only have Douwe Egberts in the kitchen at the moment. *ducks and covers*

We do have a very nice selection of posh biscuits though.

As for CIR positions, most are predominantly translation based with the occasional international fair tossed in. That role is more community based than the ALT role is.

I did meet one Kiwi CIR in Nagano when I was travelling through there and he was saying he did a lot of community work - mainly because there are a lot of foreign tourists who visit during the winter for the Skiing. As such, the role was split between doing all the outreach crap during the winter and then translating stuff in un airconditioned office during the summer whilst melting into his shirt.

Gizmotech
October 22nd, 2013, 08:47
I did meet one Kiwi CIR in Nagano when I was travelling through there and he was saying he did a lot of community work - mainly because there are a lot of foreign tourists who visit during the winter for the Skiing. As such, the role was split between doing all the outreach crap during the winter and then translating stuff in un airconditioned office during the summer whilst melting into his shirt.

This is pretty par for the course from what I can tell. Our 3 CIRs in my prefecture all work in the main city's international centre coordinating events, and doing a lot of translation work. I would suspect it is the same anywhere else.

Frankly, I can't imagine doing the CIR gig... it sounds even more boring than the travelling circus ALT, as you're doing real work but getting no respect for it.

Jamie Solo
October 22nd, 2013, 09:09
Frankly, I can't imagine doing the CIR gig... it sounds even more boring than the travelling circus ALT, as you're doing real work but getting no respect for it.

Hold on a second... you mean ALT's get respect!? My mind is blown...

Gizmotech
October 22nd, 2013, 09:15
Well some of us do.... either that or it's just placating our egos. Either way, the illusion feels nice :D

Jamie Solo
October 22nd, 2013, 09:24
Ah well as long as our egos are catered for, that's pretty much living the dream I guess ;)

Jiggit
October 22nd, 2013, 09:45
I know plenty of CIRs who have to do their share of teaching English as well, so if you really hate the idea of teaching/kids don't assume you'll get off.

Moso
October 23rd, 2013, 03:35
Hey everyone, another UK JET applicant here!

I'm so confused about the personal statement, specifically section 2

"2) What can you contribute to the Programme? (Both ALT and CIR applicants)
If you have any experience of living abroad for an extended period, what aspect did you find the most difficult to adapt to? Was there any specific problem you had to overcome?"

Does that mean this section is only about that question? Or is that just a part of that section?

Tzvi
October 23rd, 2013, 03:41
Hey everyone, another UK JET applicant here!

I'm so confused about the personal statement, specifically section 2

"2) What can you contribute to the Programme? (Both ALT and CIR applicants)
If you have any experience of living abroad for an extended period, what aspect did you find the most difficult to adapt to? Was there any specific problem you had to overcome?"

Does that mean this section is only about that question? Or is that just a part of that section?

I think they are asking you to make the case for whether or not you can cope with an extended period abroad in a country that may be significantly different to the UK. It's basically trying to gauge whether you will have a mental breakdown before you get out of Tokyo.

Moso
October 23rd, 2013, 09:39
I think they are asking you to make the case for whether or not you can cope with an extended period abroad in a country that may be significantly different to the UK. It's basically trying to gauge whether you will have a mental breakdown before you get out of Tokyo.

Hmmm okay! It just seemed odd to me that that's the question under 'what can you contribute to this programme?' That's... It?

Actually, I'm applying for CIR so like presumably most applicants I have one year study abroad experience in Japan. To be honest I didn't face that many difficulties.. So I'm wondering if it would be okay just to only briefly mention that question... I'd rather spend time on other parts of the statement.

But I just don't know what they're looking for me to say as a CIR applicant. It almost seems like a given that we have japan experience and all really loved it

craigyboy88
October 23rd, 2013, 20:40
if you have a thick northern accent nobody will be able to understand you, including your fellow ALTs

Christ, this really doesn't fill this Fat Bastard-sounding Scotsman with hope...

uthinkimlost?
October 23rd, 2013, 20:47
Christ, this really doesn't fill this Fat Bastard-sounding Scotsman with hope...

Scots do fine as long as they pose for upkilt photos for the locals.

craigyboy88
October 23rd, 2013, 20:48
Scots do fine as long as they pose for upkilt photos for the locals.

Never mind the locals, I'll pose in the interview for the job! :P

tedcase
October 24th, 2013, 06:44
I thought the application stuff wasn't even available yet?

Ini
October 24th, 2013, 07:04
Probably isn't, who knows? I thought you were supposed to apply in December? No idea why everyone is getting all worked up this early.

katsuobushi
October 24th, 2013, 14:28
This is pretty par for the course from what I can tell. Our 3 CIRs in my prefecture all work in the main city's international centre coordinating events, and doing a lot of translation work. I would suspect it is the same anywhere else.

I suppose it realistically depends on the needs of the specific area. I applied to a CIR job directly at Itabashi-ku and the guy seemed to give the impression it was like 90% translation work and doing random outreach stuff for the increasing numbers of Chinese flocking there. Naturally, Itabashi doesn't really need to sell itself to foreign tourists the way that certain areas of Nagano has to, so all the information they wanted to translate was all horribly dry information about local kindergartens and this type of thing.

Still either way, its all about working for the Japanese government and doing all their 国際交流 piddle and crap for them.

katsuobushi
October 24th, 2013, 14:38
I know plenty of CIRs who have to do their share of teaching English as well, so if you really hate the idea of teaching/kids don't assume you'll get off.

Funny you should mention that. My friend who applied as a CIR got asked about English teaching in his interview and it completely threw him off course. I think he had basically assumed that the ALT/CIR roles were primarily fixed roles. But yeah 訪問 is definitely a big/fun part of being a CIR.

Ini
October 25th, 2013, 08:29
But yeah 訪問 is definitely a big/fun part of being a CIR.

dont do that, its not big and its not clever

Moso
October 25th, 2013, 09:17
Probably isn't, who knows? I thought you were supposed to apply in December? No idea why everyone is getting all worked up this early.

Actually the deadline is in November! Though the application form isn't out yet, whatever that entails...

Anyway, I know that English teaching may be part of the CIR role, I'm totally up for that! I also considered applying for ALT but I would rather be able to use my japanese skills in a more active way

Gizmotech
October 25th, 2013, 10:57
Actually the deadline is in November! Though the application form isn't out yet, whatever that entails...

Anyway, I know that English teaching may be part of the CIR role, I'm totally up for that! I also considered applying for ALT but I would rather be able to use my japanese skills in a more active way

You'd be surprised actually, at how amazingly valuable having Japanese skills is in the classroom. I also think that if you were placed in a JHS/ES environment, you would get a lot more practice at actively using Japanese than you would in a CIR job. Sure the CIR stuff is higher end, but I think the frequency and skills used with the kids would be more beneficial (Unless you need the CIR stuff for resume padding).

I know my general Japanese level (IE off the cuff communication) improved quite drastically after I started using it in the classroom to explain more complex things than "Yes I can use chopsticks". I might not be great at Japanese, and certainly don't have the skills for proper Japanese business interaction, but actual production skills and more importantly thinking in Japanese became so much easier.

katsuobushi
October 25th, 2013, 16:03
dont do that, its not big and its not clever

I apologise, I had a momentary lapse of concentration brought on by an unexpected sugar-high...which resulted in my CTRL button being pressed. From then on it was a losing battle and the wall had already been breached.

Unfortunately I'm surrounded by people who write like this on a daily-basis. Although, 9 times out of 10 I think they do it to piss management off.

Moso
October 25th, 2013, 17:43
You'd be surprised actually, at how amazingly valuable having Japanese skills is in the classroom. I also think that if you were placed in a JHS/ES environment, you would get a lot more practice at actively using Japanese than you would in a CIR job. Sure the CIR stuff is higher end, but I think the frequency and skills used with the kids would be more beneficial (Unless you need the CIR stuff for resume padding).

I know my general Japanese level (IE off the cuff communication) improved quite drastically after I started using it in the classroom to explain more complex things than "Yes I can use chopsticks". I might not be great at Japanese, and certainly don't have the skills for proper Japanese business interaction, but actual production skills and more importantly thinking in Japanese became so much easier.

Really? I thought they discouraged you from using Japanese. Anyway, I'm going to apply for CIR but I've heard that there's some sort of box you can tick that says you'd like to be considered for ALT if you're unsuccessful as CIR. Does anyone have any idea if that ever happens?

Also, about the application form, I'm a bit baffled by the medical forms. Do they really want to know EVERY SINGLE prescription I've had in the last 5 years? Because I really, really don't remember that....

Ini
October 25th, 2013, 18:17
Good luck teaching preschool without using any Japanese....

Nell
October 25th, 2013, 20:04
What are people putting as their placement requests/what did you put when you applied if you've already done JET?
I think I'd be happy pretty much anywhere from the amount of research I've done and the idea of living in the inaka has grown on me quite a bit... Just wanted to see how often people actually get somewhere they requested, or somewhere near it at least.

Merkypie
October 25th, 2013, 20:34
I played " Ring Around Kyoto Prefecture " and I got stuck in a cold wet inaka place two and a half hours north.

What I wanted? No
Near where I wanted? Yes-ish
Near one of my three requests? Absolutely. Right next door.

Illuria
October 25th, 2013, 21:07
I'm going to put Hitachi in Ibaraki. It's on the middle-east coast of Honshu, northeast of Tokyo. A bit concerned since it's kind of in Kanto, but my reasoning is that it's twinned with Birmingham, Alabama, and I went to university in Birmingham, UK. Pretty poor but I'm not all that bothered where I go to be honest.

katsuobushi
October 26th, 2013, 00:27
What are people putting as their placement requests/what did you put when you applied if you've already done JET?
I think I'd be happy pretty much anywhere from the amount of research I've done and the idea of living in the inaka has grown on me quite a bit... Just wanted to see how often people actually get somewhere they requested, or somewhere near it at least.

Shiga is quite nice.

I quite liked Gifu as well when I went there - but the prefecture is massive, so you could be stuck way up the mountains or 30 minutes away from Nagoya.

katsuobushi
October 26th, 2013, 01:13
Well after thinking about it for a few days, I don't think I'm going to apply without any serious thought to JET. As soon as I get my reference letter, it will get sent off and then forgotten about until February. I've done so much now, it seems stupid not to send the application off.

I think to be honest, JET can't really offer me anything that I don't already have. (ALT experience, experience with kids, living in Japan, internationalisation etc etc.) I'm wanting more in terms and developing some technical skills and other languages apart from Japanese. A few months ago I turned down the chance to take up an English-teaching role at a Japanese company in Tokyo for pretty much the same reasons. I think if I truly wanted to be in Japan, I would have stayed there when my contract ended.

Also, I think the only thing driving me onto JET/Japan is me and my girlfriend wanting to both move to Japan, who incidentally, if she hadn't been born in wrong country, would have been an ideal candidate for this programme. For all those people who complain about their partners coming over to Japan, try having one who has to apply for a visa in advance. Its pretty much impossible for her to come over and live with me and would only cause problems like the last time. I think once she gets her UK passport, she'll be applying for the Toshiba fellowship programme instead, and we'll work out what we want to do then.

Anyways I do appreciate some of the advice on this forum though - its painfully accurate and brutally honest. Shame not enough of the Facebook-type people swing by here to get their heads slapped before applying. Life in Japan would be made so much easier if your bubble was burst much sooner.

Nell
October 26th, 2013, 01:30
I have been reading these threads since I decided I was going to apply so that I knew what I was getting myself into from the beginning, and while some of the realities of being on JET have seriously made me consider how much I want to do this, nothing has completely put me off yet!!
Anyway, here are my top 3 prefectures at the moment (I have probably changed them about 20 times since looking at places in Japan even though I know the chances of me getting any of them are slim...)
1. Shizuoka
2. Hyogo
3. Aomori
but basically all the prefectures in Kansai and Chugoku have been in there at some point...

coop52
October 26th, 2013, 17:12
I put down Kansai, Kyushu, Chuugoku for my preferences since all I cared about was being somewhere that didn't get too cold. It gets cold here, but at least it doesn't last that long.

tedcase
October 28th, 2013, 06:44
no, seriously, howcome you guys are talking about essays and placement requests etc already when the application forms arn't even available yet?

PaddyPakku
October 28th, 2013, 07:16
no, seriously, howcome you guys are talking about essays and placement requests etc already when the application forms arn't even available yet?
My thoughts exactly...
although, essays should be done well in advance of the release of the application.

Aurano
October 28th, 2013, 07:17
I think applications will be available tomorrow. It's the final week of October so it can't be any later now.

It's always better to plan ahead of an application in case you encounter any problems in the process.

Gizmotech
October 28th, 2013, 08:33
I'm with ted on this... worry in a couple of days/weeks. Not now :)

In particular, don't worry about placement locations... It's all a crap shoot anyways.

mrcharisma
October 28th, 2013, 13:21
The "Kansai Dance" mentioned is a pretty good idea for your requests and if you pick prefectures outside Osaka, Kobe and Hyogo you might stand a good chance of getting them.

If you want city life a few relatively unknown but decent ones I'd suggest are....

Otsu - Right next to Kyoto. Sits on a lake, has nice scenery and is convenient for travelling round the country.

Kanazawa - One of the most pleasant mid-size cities in Japan, but quite far away from anywhere else.

Okayama- Big city of 800,000 between Kobe and Hiroshima. A bit ugly but has everything you could need.

tedcase
October 28th, 2013, 15:58
yup, placement request have no effect on your actual placement, but you may be asked about them at interview because its a good way of showing how much thought you have put into your app.

Aurano
October 28th, 2013, 21:25
Still no application.... :confused:

tedcase
October 29th, 2013, 03:59
The app is probably done and ready to go, the problem will be with whoever runs the website. the Jet/clair ones are notoriously unstable/slow to update.

tedcase
October 29th, 2013, 05:08
The US application is open. gah, the website hurts my eyes!

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/

Tzvi
October 29th, 2013, 05:30
The US application is open. gah, the website hurts my eyes!

JET Program - Official Website (USA) (http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/)

State of the art in 1998. Also I have most of my documentation but a new job has meant I have had no time to write my statement yet so that is my plan for next weekend. As to where I would want to go in Japan I have no preference so I might just pick three random places.

tedcase
October 29th, 2013, 16:18
Someone call the Jet desk and give them a kick.

I would, but im busy.

PaddyPakku
October 29th, 2013, 21:29
With only 2 days left of October, I'm quite surprised the application still isn't up. The Japanese are well known for their time keeping aren't they? Regardless of whether or not it's an embassy.
I would call, but I've called so many times regarding other matters that the woman that usually picks up recognises my voice. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll get the standard 'We are in the process of releasing the application form, please wait patiently, it will be released shortly.

Aurano
October 29th, 2013, 21:35
I'm getting the feeling it'll be out in November... :|

What kind of things did you phone in about Paddy? Any tips or hints you can pass along for the application?

Gizmotech
October 29th, 2013, 21:36
Why are you calling your embassy? Don't they have e-mail?

PaddyPakku
October 29th, 2013, 22:05
I'm getting the feeling it'll be out in November... :|

What kind of things did you phone in about Paddy? Any tips or hints you can pass along for the application?
Well the US app was released only yesterday, so I think the UK app will stick to it's October timeframe...just barely, also JET seem to be finishing their university seminars tomorrow. Maybe they'll release it then...?

Sorry, I don't have much info to give. I called them regarding some difficulties I had in getting my transcript, the dates on my proof of degree letter and about medical issues.
Although, the woman did tell me that the acceptance rate - between those that apply and those that get in- is on average 1/7. She also told me to follow the instructions listed VERY carefully. Often, many applicants are picked off early for making the simplest of mistakes. Examples; Not putting the packs in order, not using paper clips, not signing the application form etc. Lastly, one very important thing she said was NOT TO GO OVER YOUR WORD LIMIT.
I personally don't think they'll count words but better safe than sorry,

Why are you calling your embassy? Don't they have e-mail?

I was calling the JET desk of the embassy. They're there for the purpose of answering queries...as well as other things...

Aurano
October 29th, 2013, 22:33
1 in 7 applicants are successful. That has really screwed with my confidence! Haha!

I actually had my transcript stabled together which is quite annoying. I'm going to try and remove the stable without making it look tacky but if it fails then I will have to go back over to my university and ask for another. I get the impression that if you're not picked off early then your chances increase quite a bit.

Ocaoca
October 30th, 2013, 00:33
There's no way anyone can tell you statistics like that when they have no idea how many applicants they are going to get this year compared to last year or the year before. Or even what the demand for British JETs will be. It might be 1 in 7, it might be 1 in 50. It's pointless even speculating about the 'odds'.

I've got everything together now and I'm just waiting for the applications to go up online. Having survived the 'storm of the century', I was hoping that the applications would have gone up today but I guess not.

PaddyPakku
October 30th, 2013, 00:45
My transcripts were stapled too. I had to ever-so-carefully remove them. I'm wondering if I should just put the 4 app packs in 4 different plastic sleeves or put them straight into the envelope.

Ocaoca; Yes...if you read my post carefully, I said the person told me 'on average'. She was obviously referring to past applications.

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 00:58
Storm of the Century is a great TV movie! Just as good as I.T. in my opinion. Anyway, enough of that.

4 application packs. I'm getting confused now, I just read on the website under additional materials it says to make 3 photocopies along with the original of my references, which I have. Problem is that I have them all in one envelope already signed and sealed. I'm getting the impression that I need to send one reference copy per application pack, though it doesn't say this. Can anyone enlighten me on this? :confused:

On a side note - I wouldn't bother with plastic sleeves Paddy. I remember a lot of my old teachers saying to me that plastic sleeves are the bane of their life. I'm pretty sure a lot of other people feel that way too, so it's not worth the risk!

PaddyPakku
October 30th, 2013, 01:12
Well 1 original + 3 copies is of everything is 4 application packs right?
The reference letters should have 3 copies each signed in their respective envelopes. You only need 3 copies of your reference letters in 2 envelopes(one for each).
What I was talking about was the Application packs that contain our application form, personal statment..etc. The application packs should be seperated by paper clips, but I'm wondering if I should put them in 4 separate plastic sleeves as well or just put the application packs in the envelope that I mail to the JET desk.

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 01:18
Do you need transcripts if you are a graduate?
I left university so long ago, I doubt that they still have mine.

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 01:27
Yeah you do Ted. They will still have them on record for sure. It's a legal requirement.

PaddyPakku
October 30th, 2013, 01:29
Yup, as far as I'm aware, everybody needs to submit transcripts, regardless of when they graduated.
Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK - Academic Transcripts (http://www.jet-uk.org/apply/transcripts.php)

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 02:38
Pretty sure they only keep them for 5 years.

cancel that, My old uni sells them to ex students for 20 quid.

fuckers.

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 04:08
News Flash! -- Applications are now officially open on UK Website!

Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/index.php)

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 04:38
Beat me to it.

PaddyPakku
October 30th, 2013, 04:54
About frickin time!! I'm filling it out now.
What are you guys writing in boxes that don't apply to you E.g. 'If you have a criminal record please state.....'
I've been writing N/A in those boxes, but it seems weird to write N/A in all the blank spots.

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 05:07
If you leave it blank and try to progress a popup tells you to write "N/A". so yeah, you are doing it right.

Tzvi
October 30th, 2013, 07:00
I'm still not sure whether to put location preferences, truth be told I have done a fair amount of research into them but I have no idea how to decide.

Merkypie
October 30th, 2013, 08:10
It doesn't matter. You'll probably end up on an island in the middle of the ocean.

Just google up the four main islands and then the different regions of Honshu.

Or

Do you like cold?
If yes: Look up Central Honshu, Nothern Honshu and Hokkaido
If no: Look at Southern Honshu, Shikoku, Kyuushuu, and Okinawa

Do you like big cities?
If yes: Look at Fukuoka or Kanto/Kansai
If no: Anywhere other than Fukuoka or Kanto/Kansai

Do you like old stuff?
If yes: Kansai, Hokuriku (Northwestern Japan) <-- reason being is that in the war, Kansai and Hokuriku were spared due to cultural signifigance so unless Japanese tore their own shit up, the originals are still standing to this day.
If not: Anywhere other than Hokuriku or Kansai

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 08:32
Paddy, something has been grinding away at me for a while now and I need to ask....

Is your avatar a picture of Walter White from Breaking bad? :D

mrcharisma
October 30th, 2013, 11:44
Do you like big cities?
If yes: Look at Fukuoka or Kanto/Kansai

You're better off asking for Aichi rather than Fukuoka if it's big cities you want, but I'm not even sure if they take Jets.

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 21:12
Am I being dumb?
Ive gone through the online application form, and ready to click submit. but at no point has it asked for my personal statement.
Did I miss something??

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 21:25
Isn't the applicant supposed to be printed off when complete rather than submitted...?

PaddyPakku
October 30th, 2013, 21:39
Aurano; To answer your first question; Yes, it's good ol' Walter White from Breaking Bad. It's probably one of my favourite shows of all time! Do you watch it?
To answer your second question, I believe you submit the form online, after which you can then print off the form. Although, I haven't finished off the application so I'll have to check once I'm done.

Illuria
October 30th, 2013, 21:43
Isn't the applicant supposed to be printed off when complete rather than submitted...?

Pretty sure that's what it said. I don't have a printer so I'm going to have to go finish it off at uni and print it off there.

Aurano
October 30th, 2013, 21:44
I watched Breaking Bad yeah. It was pretty addictive! I also have been watching Ray Donovan recently as well, you should check that out! My favourite series is still probably Californication even though the last 2 series haven't been as good as the first 3.

I got the impression we printed off the application and send it off in an envelope with the rest of our stuff. They really like to make this application awkward and complicated eh...

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 22:01
I did it online. When its finished, there is a submit button. Maybe they get an electronic copy before the paper one is sent

Shincantsen
October 31st, 2013, 02:23
You submit an electronic copy online, which I believe is just your application form. Then you print everything, make all the copies, and collate that shit, and send it off in an envelope. Unless the form has changed, there's no online copy of your SoP.

Aurano
October 31st, 2013, 08:16
On the 'Study of Japanese history and culture' part; to what detail do I describe my study. Do I just name resources use such as books and what they touch upon, or do I actually go in to detail on specific things I have learnt?

PaddyPakku
October 31st, 2013, 08:25
Aurano; I've heard of Californiaction, I've always heard good things about it but I don't watch much TV :(
To answer your other question, I just touched upon it, I think they just want an idea of how interested you are. The fact that the box has been filled in shows them that you're a keen participant.

Aurano
October 31st, 2013, 08:36
Ah OK, well then it should be fine! Some of these questions don't really give much detail on requirements. For example, the 'give details on international/intercultural experiences' part says include holidays. To what extend do I talk about holidays. Everyone does the same thing, go to a few restaurants, have a few beers, sunbath, hit the beach and check out the local souvenir shops. I feel that people who have backpacked Thailand have more to talk about on that one...

PaddyPakku
October 31st, 2013, 08:47
LOL, well I'm an applicant just like you, so I don't really know much either...I'm just guessing. For the Inter experiences I just mentioned the countries I've been to and how I integrated into the cultures.
Once again though, I don't think they're concerned with detail on this one. I think they just wanna see that you've experienced other cultures etc. JET's biggest worry is that you'll get to Japan and then bail after a week because of culture shock...I think.
Then again, I've heard that people have been excepted who have never step foot on a plane...

Merkypie
October 31st, 2013, 09:38
On the 'Study of Japanese history and culture' part; to what detail do I describe my study. Do I just name resources use such as books and what they touch upon, or do I actually go in to detail on specific things I have learnt?

Does it tell u to go in detail? If not then dont. (;´д`)

Sent from my ISW11SC using Tapatalk 2

PaddyPakku
October 31st, 2013, 11:03
I have submitted my application now but the PDF form doesn't tell you which cities/prefec you picked by name.
Could somebody please check which cities are
Block H; 42
Block F; 33

I picked these two more of less randomly, and I'm worried that IF I get an interview and they asked me about my choices, I'll be screwed. Thanks in advance.

coop52
October 31st, 2013, 12:34
There's usually some application guide on the same site that tells you what each block/city is.

Merkypie
October 31st, 2013, 23:36
And even if they did ask you, the interviews are so far into the future that it wouldn't be something against you if you did know. Hell, they might even just tell you and ask you why (like at my interview, they saw I wanted Fukui and wanted to know why (the interviewer was from Fukui)).

PaddyPakku
November 1st, 2013, 06:06
Although I have heard in interviews that sometimes that may ask you why you picked city 'Y' when you really picked 'A B and C'. Essentially just to trip you up. If they do that to me, I'll have no idea if they're lying or not :(

Merkypie
November 1st, 2013, 06:44
the interview is to test ur ability to handle stress not ur jp skills

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Trini
November 1st, 2013, 06:48
I have submitted my application now but the PDF form doesn't tell you which cities/prefec you picked by name.
Could somebody please check which cities are
Block H; 42
Block F; 33

I picked these two more of less randomly, and I'm worried that IF I get an interview and they asked me about my choices, I'll be screwed. Thanks in advance.
Here you go..it's on pg. 5 or 6
http://www.tt.emb-japan.go.jp/JET%20file/application%20instruction%20form.pdf

PaddyPakku
November 1st, 2013, 07:15
Here you go..it's on pg. 5 or 6
http://www.tt.emb-japan.go.jp/JET%20file/application%20instruction%20form.pdf
Thank you!! Much appreciated.

the interview is to test ur ability to handle stress not ur jp skills

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Are you sure that it the primary purpsose of the interview? I thought it was to get an idea of how you would present yourself infront of an audience, as well as test your speaking ability.

coop52
November 1st, 2013, 08:24
There's always some kind of tricky question or surprise lesson or something to see how you handle stress. For example, I got asked if I'd make tea since I'm a lady and Japanese ladies make tea. They were wanting to see if I'd be all indignant and freak out. There's sites out there with lists of interview questions. The interview is really far ahead, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Jiggit
November 1st, 2013, 08:44
That's a pretty common one for women to be asked. Basically it's saying "Japan is often sexist and going against authority is the worst regardless of government policy, can you deal with unfair treatment?" without actually saying that. I think I got asked what I would do if I'd booked a holiday and told my school in advance and taken paid leave and they suddenly asked me to take part in some school event. Of course you say "I would try to find a way around the situation but if they insisted of course the job comes first". Actually I think this did happen when my parents visited Japan and I just told my school they should tell me earlier when they want me to do stuff during vacation times. They even tried to get me to bring my parents to school open day lol.

They tend to ask you a range of questions tbh but asking why you chose the place you want to go to will probably come up. But I doubt it's that important. If seeming to care about tradishunal Japanese culture were a deciding factor I wouldn't be here. Basically use your common sense to answer the questions and when they throw the curveballs try to show that you are flexible and able to think of diplomatic ways to solve potential disputes. All interviews are largely based off the "feel" you give off and I'd imagine most JET applicants answer similar questions fairly generically. Obviously if you don't have common sense you won't get past interview but that's probably for the best.

PaddyPakku
November 1st, 2013, 08:57
That's some very good advice Jiggit, unfortunately, I don't think common sense will help me an ounce, if I am asked about politics OF ANY sort. The "feel" you're referring to is a 'Genki' ,positive feel right?

There's always some kind of tricky question or surprise lesson or something to see how you handle stress. For example, I got asked if I'd make tea since I'm a lady and Japanese ladies make tea. They were wanting to see if I'd be all indignant and freak out. There's sites out there with lists of interview questions. The interview is really far ahead, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

I've often heard about those awkward female subservient interview questions. How did you answer it? I'm curious as to how people typically answer this.

Also...You're a woman? (Insert cheesy pick-up line)

Jiggit
November 1st, 2013, 09:10
Not really. More like "does this person seem to be mature, capable and responsible?" as opposed to "does this person seem naive, unconfident or a loony?". Given the amount of naive loonies trying to overcompensate for their own social anxiety over here though I wouldn't rate their judgment too highly. But seriously, don't go into your interview trying to be super energetic and expressive, especially if you aren't usually. Just be natural and confident. If you lack confidence naturally then you probably aren't right for the job anyway.

Having said that I should probably say that if I were in charge only about 30% of the ALTs I know would have got here in the first place. So take it all with a pinch of salt.

Knowing about Japanese politics isn't going to really make that much of a difference. They asked me if I'd heard about any current affairs in Japan that interested me and I just said "sorry, no". Of course if I'd been able to answer it would have been better and I should have prepared for that question but it probably isn't going to make or break your application.

Moso
November 1st, 2013, 19:43
Do the placements you request have an effect on the application? Because I would be happy to be placed anywhere, but if I have the choice here I'd like to select some cities (I'm thinking like Fukuoka, Sapporo...)

Also does anyone have any idea where I could find statistics of placements, I'm sure I've seen something like that before (just so I can choose some places where they, you know, actually send people... aha)

Btw I'm applying for CIR if that makes any difference! Thanks!

tedcase
November 1st, 2013, 20:58
Why did you put Sapporo? I would love to be placed in Sapporo city, it is an amazing place, but I would be terrified of putting it in my placement request for fear of getting dumped in the Hokkaido inaka. Fuck, I may as well be sent to Siberia!

Trini
November 1st, 2013, 21:08
Also does anyone have any idea where I could find statistics of placements, I'm sure I've seen something like that before (just so I can choose some places where they, you know, actually send people... aha)

Btw I'm applying for CIR if that makes any difference! Thanks!

Number of JET participants in 2013, listed by country and position (As of July, 2013). pgs. 15-16
Number of 2013 JET participants listed by Prefecture/Designated City (As of July, 2013). pgs. 16-17

http://www.tt.emb-japan.go.jp/JET%20file/Application%20guidelines.pdf

Illuria
November 1st, 2013, 21:22
Number of JET participants in 2013, listed by country and position (As of July, 2013). pgs. 15-16
Number of 2013 JET participants listed by Prefecture/Designated City (As of July, 2013). pgs. 16-17

Man the Kiwis don't even have 5m people and they send 255 ALTs+CIRs. Wish I lived there.

Trini
November 1st, 2013, 21:51
Man the Kiwis don't even have 5m people and they send 255 ALTs+CIRs. Wish I lived there.
Could be a number of reasons for this….large number of applicants, large % of applicants scoring over the cut off mark, highly requested by BOEs etc..etc..

Illuria
November 1st, 2013, 22:22
Could be a number of reasons for this….large number of applicants, large % of applicants scoring over the cut off mark, highly requested by BOEs etc..etc..

It pretty much can be put down to the fact that the country is a lot closer than most of the other Anglophone countries. I know why. It's still frustrating to look at the figures =P

EDIT: And by closer I mean both physically and the countries' relationship as well

Moso
November 2nd, 2013, 00:14

Yes! Amazing thanks, just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Moso
November 2nd, 2013, 00:17
Why did you put Sapporo? I would love to be placed in Sapporo city, it is an amazing place, but I would be terrified of putting it in my placement request for fear of getting dumped in the Hokkaido inaka. Fuck, I may as well be sent to Siberia!
Well I don't want to post too much identifiable information on this public forum but let's just say I've been before and loved it!

But yeah THAT is also my worry with putting down Sapporo! I think I'd be fine with the winter in an urban area but I think in a rural area it might get a bit extreme. Wouldn't mind something like Hakodate though!

Still not sure whether I should even make a preference though.. Seems like they mostly ignore them and I don't want to come across as inflexible.

uthinkimlost?
November 2nd, 2013, 06:36
It pretty much can be put down to the fact that the country is a lot closer than most of the other Anglophone countries. I know why. It's still frustrating to look at the figures =P

EDIT: And by closer I mean both physically and the countries' relationship as well

What?

Ini
November 2nd, 2013, 09:18
I wouldn't say NZ has a particularly close relationship to Japan when compared to America or Australia

Illuria
November 2nd, 2013, 11:59
I wouldn't say NZ has a particularly close relationship to Japan when compared to America or Australia

Well yes but it's closer than the UK/IRE

uthinkimlost?
November 2nd, 2013, 12:26
...and?

Oli0
November 3rd, 2013, 01:18
Hi guys, I'm hoping to apply for JET in 2014 and just starting to look through the application. Looks like I'm going to have to use 2 academic references as I don't realy have any employers I can ask for one, would it be best to try to get one from my university and from the school I did my A-levels in? And is anyone else going to apply for programmes other than JET, is this allowed? I don't want to put all my hopes on getting into the JET then get rejected and have no plan for what I'm doing next year.

tedcase
November 3rd, 2013, 02:10
I don't realy have any employers I can ask for one,

I'm sure the guys at JET HQ would love to hear what you did to piss off all your old emloyers that much!

Moso
November 3rd, 2013, 02:53
Hi guys, I'm hoping to apply for JET in 2014 and just starting to look through the application. Looks like I'm going to have to use 2 academic references as I don't realy have any employers I can ask for one, would it be best to try to get one from my university and from the school I did my A-levels in? And is anyone else going to apply for programmes other than JET, is this allowed? I don't want to put all my hopes on getting into the JET then get rejected and have no plan for what I'm doing next year.
I'm just getting two academic references from my current university! And I think you're allowed to apply for programmes other than JET lol, they know it's extremely competitive. Also I remember reading somewhere that someone got asked in their interview what other jobs they were applying for or what they would do if they didn't get in to JET.

Oli0
November 3rd, 2013, 09:08
I'm sure the guys at JET HQ would love to hear what you did to piss off all your old emloyers that much!

Haha nothing, but having gone straight from school to uni and now being in my final year, I haven't had a whole lot of employment apart from the odd job over the summer, so there's nobody I could really ask for one in all honesty.

tedcase
November 3rd, 2013, 09:14
I knew lots of people who didn't work while at Uni. Biggest mistake they ever made.
I got far more benefit out of the work i did while studying than I ever got out of my uni course, especially in terms of employability.

Oli0
November 3rd, 2013, 09:37
I knew lots of people who didn't work while at Uni. Biggest mistake they ever made.
I got far more benefit out of the work i did while studying than I ever got out of my uni course, especially in terms of employability.

Umm fair enough, also lots of people would like to concentrate on getting the best possible grade in a difficult and time consuming degree that they are studying for. Not sure what your point is, other than being condescending and unhelpful.

Ini
November 3rd, 2013, 09:40
Ted is just trying to spook his rivals. Plenty of jets come with no work experience. If your app is tight and you come off as personable in the interview you'll be fine.

Moso
November 3rd, 2013, 15:29
Uhhh I don't know about that! I have very few extra-curicular activities for my CV due to the fact I spend all my spare time working in my part time job...

tedcase
November 3rd, 2013, 19:01
Uhhh I don't know about that! I have very few extra-curicular activities for my CV due to the fact I spend all my spare time working in my part time job...

then your part time Job will go on your CV.
Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for you?

Moso
November 3rd, 2013, 19:29
Errrrr, no?! Course I put that on my CV. Just saying that extracurricular activities seem more important than that these days! So I don't think it's a cv problem to have no part time job!

Tzvi
November 5th, 2013, 01:02
Quick question about the Japan related studies section, have you put any informal self study of Japanese History and culture down in those boxes? If so what kind of things? I have mentioned a few books but was wondering if films would be appropriate as well in terms of Japanese culture. Also I repeat a lot of personal statement stuff in this application.

tedcase
November 5th, 2013, 03:24
Yeah, Definately write about the Studio Ghibli films you watch by yourself, and the fanfic manga you write on your live Journal. The interviewers love that stuff.

Tzvi
November 5th, 2013, 04:43
Yeah, Definately write about the Studio Ghibli films you watch by yourself, and the fanfic manga you write on your live Journal. The interviewers love that stuff.

I would but it kind of seems like showing off.
For the record I do understand the stupid things to put down I was just a little caught out by the wording. Also I'm definitely going to mention the 300 hours I put into shogun 2 total war I know they'll appreciate that.

afroguy10
November 5th, 2013, 09:14
Hi, I've been lurking here for a little while and thought now that I'm putting everything together I'd drop in and ask a question now that I have one.

I got both of my references through the post today, the original and the three photocopies for each reference came through in a single sealed envelope with the signature of the referee over the seal. Is this correct or should it be one envelope for the original and one envelope for each of the three photocopies totalling 4 envelopes per reference with the signature over each?

Also, in regards to the Academic transcripts, I'm a recent graduate and it says "This can be the supplement, listing all modules taken and marks achieved, that you received with the degree certificate." This is obviously the list of my modules and the marks I got for each that came with my final degree however it says to send the original but if I send the original I won't get it back is this correct? I'm just clearing this up because if that's the case I might just jump into uni tomorrow afternoon and see if I can get a transcript sorted out at the student base so that I can keep the one that came with the degree. If it'll take a while to sort out that I may end up missing the application hand-in date I'll probably just use the one that came with my degree and get another at a later date if needed.

Gizmotech
November 5th, 2013, 09:22
Hi, I've been lurking here for a little while and thought now that I'm putting everything together I'd drop in and ask a question now that I have one.

I got both of my references through the post today, the original and the three photocopies for each reference came through in a single sealed envelope with the signature of the referee over the seal. Is this correct or should it be one envelope for the original and one envelope for each of the three photocopies totalling 4 envelopes per reference with the signature over each?

Also, in regards to the Academic transcripts, I'm a recent graduate and it says "This can be the supplement, listing all modules taken and marks achieved, that you received with the degree certificate." This is obviously the list of my modules and the marks I got for each that came with my final degree however it says to send the original but if I send the original I won't get it back is this correct? I'm just clearing this up because if that's the case I might just jump into uni tomorrow afternoon and see if I can get a transcript sorted out at the student base so that I can keep the one that came with the degree. If it'll take a while to sort out that I may end up missing the application hand-in date I'll probably just use the one that came with my degree and get another at a later date if needed.

As far as reference letters are concerned, I would fire off a quick email to your coordinator about it, if it's not specific on the website.

You shouldn't submit your final graduation transcript, keep it. Go to your admissions office (or whatever the equivalent is in your school) and get a new set. It'll probably cost you 10-20 ish, and you also can ask them to put a rush on it given the time sensitive nature of your application. Even without the rush, it usually doesn't take more than a couple of days to print and stamp transcripts in this non-busy time of year.

afroguy10
November 5th, 2013, 09:43
As far as reference letters are concerned, I would fire off a quick email to your coordinator about it, if it's not specific on the website.

You shouldn't submit your final graduation transcript, keep it. Go to your admissions office (or whatever the equivalent is in your school) and get a new set. It'll probably cost you 10-20 ish, and you also can ask them to put a rush on it given the time sensitive nature of your application. Even without the rush, it usually doesn't take more than a couple of days to print and stamp transcripts in this non-busy time of year.

Yeah, it isn't really specific on the website, seems like it could be taken either way, all 4 in one sealed envelope or in separate sealed envelopes. I'll fire off an email tomorrow morning to JET, see if they can clear it up for me.

I think I'll jump up to uni tomorrow then and see about a transcript, got a little worried since it said give them a month since it can take a while but I guess the references section said the same thing and they were both here within a week.

Aurano
November 5th, 2013, 10:01
If possible, have each of your referees make three photocopies of his/her reference letter to be included in the signed and sealed envelope along with the original.

This is what it says on the website. So I guess you put your original reference and all three photocopies in 1 envelope. Now that I mention it, I didn't make photocopies. The person that gave me the reference just printed off 4 copies and signed them all. Do you think it has to be photocopies, or would 4 originals be ok?

therealwindycity
November 5th, 2013, 10:18
The year that I applied the instructions asked for them in a single envelope, so I think you're fine.

afroguy10
November 5th, 2013, 10:20
Hmm, I can't see why the references being all originals would be a bad thing but you never know what with people saying they can be really picky with people not following the applications process word for word. Then again, it's not technically you that made the mistake, it was the referee but I still don't know being honest. Might be worth an email to the JET desk to see what they say.

On another note, I really want to see what my work manager and university professor said about me but because its all sealed up and their signatures are over the seal, there's no way I'm catching a peek at the references haha.

The year that I applied the instructions asked for them in a single envelope, so I think you're fine.

Whew, thanks heh.

Gizmotech
November 5th, 2013, 10:48
There we go! Problem solved!

(No they won't care if they're photocopies or just three reprints w/ hand done signatures.)

Oli0
November 7th, 2013, 00:12
I have a question about the Proof of Degree part of the application.

On the JET website it states that the wording of this letter should be as follows:
To The JET Programme,
(First name, surname) is (expected/due) to (graduate / complete their BA/BSc course) on (date/month/year).
(Signature) (Stamp)

The proof of degree letter my university supplies has its own format and you can't get them to write it exactly like this. It provides all the information that JET need, but is worded differently and includes another paragraph with some information about the university. I can get them to address it To The Jet Programme, but I can't change the whole format of the letter. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I wouldn't have thought so, as it supplies all the relevant information, but having read how harsh they can be on applicants not following the instructions I am slightly worried.

Aurano
November 7th, 2013, 00:31
I can't say this with 100% certainty, but if the letter contains all the required wording stated then it should be fine. I think it is just stating certain points of verification needed within the letter.

Aurano
November 8th, 2013, 23:56
Is anyone else having a nightmare with their Statement of Physician? My local GP is making a big deal out of it just because I haven't needed to go the doctors in about 10 years. It is kind of annoying me as it is holding up my application and I put N/A for all my Self Assessment Medical questions because I am in perfectly good health. It's almost like they are trying to find some little excuse not to sign the bloody thing.

Nell
November 9th, 2013, 01:56
I thought that if you put N/A for everything you didn't need one? Mine is costing me £35 ... But will be more than worth it if I actually get on JET!

PaddyPakku
November 9th, 2013, 02:02
YES! A doctor I regularly consult with wrote a letter for me a while ago(FOR FREE :) ), but he didn't include some of the things JET require, such as suitability to live in Japan, so I asked him to just include a few more sentences. ITS TAKING FOREVER AND A DAY FOR JUST A FEW MORW SENTENCES!! It's virtually the only thing I need now, to send off my application.

Aurano, if you haven't had any conditions or had to go to ta GP, what do you need an SOP for?

Aurano
November 9th, 2013, 02:36
The SOP verifies what you put down on the self assessment medical form. I'm pretty sure you need to have it signed regardless of putting N/A down for everything, because ultimately, I could just lie about everything if an SOP wasn't required.

Mine is costing me a 10'er. It's a bit of a rip off considering all they have to do is sign and date it.

EDIT: OK, I just read on the website I don't need a SoP if I put N/A for everything. Boy, do I feel like the idiot. I could have swore I read somewhere that you need your SoP regardless of your Self Assessment though. Something fishy going on here.... :redface:

afroguy10
November 11th, 2013, 22:58
I think you need to get the SOP done at a later date if you were successful in getting a place on JET and you put down N/A in the application form, that might have been what was confusing you :).

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 23:05
The one in April (If you're successful) is a Certificate of Health and an X-Ray or TB Test. The Certificate of Health basically just gives general medical details like blood pressure, weight, height as far as I know. The X-Ray or TB test is obviously to check if you are infected by TB. I had my BCG when I was in high school but apparently you still need to get tested for it regardless.

Oli0
November 11th, 2013, 23:33
I was hospitalised as a baby for something, I can't remember anything about it and I don't know any doctor who knows about it, are they really going to find out about it if I put N/A for that?

Also, I don't remember the exact date I received certain awards I'm mentioning on the online application, is it okay to put estimates?
If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it greatly!

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 23:44
I was in hospital for a couple of things before the age of 10 as well and still put N/A for everything. As long as it is something that won't reoccur I don't think it matters all that much.

On a side note: Is anyone using Netflix? It's really good for 6 quid a month!

Nell
November 13th, 2013, 02:32
My university adviser has just given me her reference but I'm pretty sure it's only one copy because the envelope doesn't seem thick enough to have 4 copies in it... is it worth being a pain and asking her to do another one with 4 copies inside or will JET not be that bothered? (I did originally ask her to make copies so I don't wanna seem like a nag!)

Aurano
November 13th, 2013, 02:45
Ask her if there is a total of 1 original with 3 copies in the envelope. If not then tell her to make 3 photocopies or 3 more printouts and get her to put them in a new envelope an resign it. You need to push to get things done in life. If she agreed to do it, it's her responsibility to do it properly.

If she does 3 more printouts instead of photocopies, make sure she signs the printouts. It's important to have a total of 4 copies because after they read them they will put them with your 4 application sets. One with each.

Nell
November 13th, 2013, 04:23
Right, ok! It just says "if possible get 3 copies" so wasn't sure if it mattered, but I might as well ask her anyway as I've still got time.

Shincantsen
November 13th, 2013, 04:59
If there's a problem with your reference that's the reference writer's fault (like not having enough copies inside the sealed envelope) you won't be penalized, since it was not your fault.

Jamie Solo
November 13th, 2013, 08:27
This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but what font did you guys use? When I re-size to 12 and double space my statement is just over 5 pages...

Aurano
November 13th, 2013, 09:21
5 Pages is quite a lot for 1000 words max in my opinion, even at double spacing. Mine comes to about 2 and a half pages double space. I'm using font size 12 of course and Times New Roman font as I believe it's considered the standard for formal letters. Though it can be argued that Arial is fine as well. Some people even like to use Verdana, but I found that it was a larger font and took up more space.

Still though, 5 pages sounds a lot. Maybe you are paragraphing too much? That can take up a lot of space. I paragraph mostly when changing topic.

Tzvi
November 13th, 2013, 09:26
5 Pages is quite a lot for 1000 words max in my opinion, even at double spacing. Mine comes to about 2 and a half pages double space. I'm using font size 12 of course and Times New Roman font as I believe it's considered the standard for formal letters. Though it can be argued that Arial is fine as well. Some people even like to use Verdana, but I found that it was a larger font and took up more space.

Still though, 5 pages sounds a lot. Maybe you are paragraphing too much? That can take up a lot of space. I paragraph mostly when changing topic.

I was under the impression that the personal statement had to be two pages max. I took that to mean no double spacing.

EDIT: My bad I must have gotten confused with the US page, didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Antonath
November 13th, 2013, 09:40
There is a difference between the UK and USA apps. One is 1000 words and no page limit, the other is two pages and no word limit.

Aurano
November 13th, 2013, 09:46
They really know how to mess with your head don't they...

Jamie Solo
November 13th, 2013, 10:05
They really know how to mess with your head don't they...

Yeah, the level of paranoia you can get. I know what a cold war spy feels like :P

But yeah my formatting messed up. Its now almost 3 full pages so it seems 'normal' now.

Jiggit
November 13th, 2013, 10:12
If you're not from that country ignore everything about their application progress. Tere's no reason to be getting your info from half-informed people online and getting yourself in a tizzy when all the information needed is given through official channels. Follow the instructions given to you, not to people going through a completely different agency, it isn't that hard to figure out. I never visited a JET forum before applying and neither did plenty of other current JETs.

Frankly I had trouble filling 2 pages so if you've written 5 I imagine there's plenty of pointless waffling to cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 02:16
So how's everyone doing with their application? When do you think the absolute latest we can send it off is? I'm hoping to have everything sorted and posted by next Friday if that's not too late.

Illuria
November 15th, 2013, 02:36
I've just got my second reference back and got my uni to fix my Proof of Degree (it said 'To Whom It May Concern' instead of 'To the JET Programme' and didn't have a signature) but I'm kinda worried about my transcript not being signed. I've e-mailed the JET Desk but will wait on their response. Meanwhile i need to finish the online form and do another adjustment of my Personal Statement. I've been busy applying to other places in case I don't get JET since their applications close earlier so I haven't had much chance to sort out my JET application lately. Also busy with loads of uni work, argh!

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 04:03
Does anyone know if it's okay to have one reference from a teacher/tutor from school (sixth form)? The other one is from a university lecturer. Panicking a bit now as I realise I didn't check this before!

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 04:48
If you went directly from sixth form to university then I think it would be fine. As long as it's not too long ago.

I was considering getting a reference from my English Lit tutor at college and he hasn't taught me in about 4 years.

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 05:00
If you went directly from sixth form to university then I think it would be fine. As long as it's not too long ago.

I was considering getting a reference from my English Lit tutor at college and he hasn't taught me in about 4 years.

Yeah it's not too long ago, thanks.

So my next problem is... this teacher didn't sign the envelope. There's an official stamp on the envelope that indicates it came from my old school, and it is completely sealed with tape, but no signature. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I really don't think there's time for me to send it back to him, as I'm about to go away for a couple days. Getting worried now.

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 05:20
You'd have to phone the JET desk and ask. A stamp might be OK, but they seem to specifically asked it be signed over the seal.

Can't you just walk into your old school and ask him/her to sign the envelope? It would only take a couple of minutes to get a new envelope, put in the reference, sign the seal, and whack a bit of tape on.

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 05:27
My old school is over 200 miles away though, I received the reference in the post today.

It seems ridiculous that I could be penalised for this, it's clearly an official envelope which is stamped, indicates the address of my school and the date it was sent.

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 05:41
Like I said, phone the JET desk and ask. It will probably be fine to be honest. It sounds like it is caked in authenticity.

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 05:46
I'll phone them, but there's no time to do anything about it really. I hope it's ok... I mean, to be disqualified for something as petty as that would be outrageous, with the amount of work we all put into our applications. Especially when it's not even my mistake.

Thanks for replying by the way... you helped calm my nerves a bit!

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 05:48
Just send it off anyway and apply a note with it explaining the situation. It will probably be fine as long as the reference itself is signed.

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 05:55
Well who knows if the reference itself is actually signed?! Haha

Moso
November 15th, 2013, 06:12
So how's everyone doing with their application? When do you think the absolute latest we can send it off is? I'm hoping to have everything sorted and posted by next Friday if that's not too late.
Well the deadline is in 2 weeks time, so next Friday should be fine?
That's probably when I'll also send mine, I'm just waiting on one reference and physician thingy.

Oli0
November 21st, 2013, 03:52
Working on my personal statement, feels like I've got a lot to say but it's hard to structure it properly. Do the three sections really have to be separated? I mean, part of my "reasons for wishing to participate on the JET Programme" (Part 1) relate to what I think I can "contribute to the Programme" (Part 2). :confused:

Tzvi
November 21st, 2013, 04:22
I'm on to the last part of my personal statement, when that's done I just need to pick up my doctors statement and should have this thing off by Friday/Monday barring any problems. Would have liked to have gotten a JET participant to look over the statement but I guess it can't be helped. Getting a bit nervous about it all as well!

Aurano
November 21st, 2013, 04:22
Structuring formal essays is even more difficult than structuring fiction in my opinion. Simple because you are bound more by rules and have less flexibility with the use of grammatical tools. I don't think it matters if you structure the essay in three parts or as a blend of of all three. As long as it hits on all three criteria to some extent it should be fine.