PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

AVN
October 5th, 2013, 11:16
Hey, I am a former JET who is still living in Japan. With the loss of the Aspiring forum on the official page I just thought I would start one over here to answer your questions as best as I (and any other Canadian JETs) can. (PS for some reason it's not allowing me to start new lines).

Gizmotech
October 7th, 2013, 09:14
Canadian JET throwing their hat in the ring to help as well.

Sarenka
October 7th, 2013, 22:23
Greenhorn aspiring Canadian JET reporting. Anxious for applications to open. :C I'm based in Halifax myself (near the consulate yay).

Libellule
October 8th, 2013, 07:30
Anxious for applications to open.

I feel you! I was silly enough to think that "October 2013" meant "October 1, 2013". Oh well.

AVN
October 8th, 2013, 08:30
I feel you! I was silly enough to think that "October 2013" meant "October 1, 2013". Oh well.

An important lesson learned for this application process. Don't get anxious until the end of the month they said you can expect it in.

Coolmanio
October 8th, 2013, 12:38
Hey everybody!

I am getting more and more nervous as the applications start to open. I have most of my papers in order (just waiting on 1 reference letter), so I am doing the waiting game! Good to have another board to discuss JET things on!!

Cool

therealwindycity
October 8th, 2013, 12:58
There's a specific form that the recommenders need to fill out and send to you - make sure that it's included when they write their letters of recommendation. If you've already gotten the letters you'll have to have your recommenders send you new ones after the application form is released.

EDIT: wait, it looks like maybe the Canadian application doesn't have this. Gizmo, was that the case when you applied?

AVN
October 8th, 2013, 20:37
There's a specific form that the recommenders need to fill out and send to you - make sure that it's included when they write their letters of recommendation. If you've already gotten the letters you'll have to have your recommenders send you new ones after the application form is released.

EDIT: wait, it looks like maybe the Canadian application doesn't have this. Gizmo, was that the case when you applied?

When I applied, and in the past, it's just been a kind of checklist/suggestion for you to give to the people you're asking for a letter.

Gizmotech
October 8th, 2013, 20:59
Umm.... I remember a form, but I don't remember if it had to be included in with the letter or not. That was almost 3 years ago now :P

Libellule
October 9th, 2013, 01:16
The Canadian website just changed "the application for 2014 JET Programme will open in October 2013" to Mid October.

I'm getting slightly obsessed, I don't think it's healthy.

Sarenka
October 9th, 2013, 05:16
The Canadian website just changed "the application for 2014 JET Programme will open in October 2013" to Mid October.

I'm getting slightly obsessed, I don't think it's healthy.

Yar I saw that. Good to see they're toying with us. I have most of my stuff figured out, but I want the actual applications to open so I know I have things straight.

I'm reading through more forum threads than articles for my thesis.... It's not a good thing. XD

Coolmanio
October 9th, 2013, 05:47

Yeah, the past few Canadian applications never had to submit a form. There has just been a form to guide the referrers in what they should watch, and it says not to attach it!

therealwindycity
October 9th, 2013, 08:44
That makes getting reference letters so much easier! I wish the US did it that way too.

Libellule
October 11th, 2013, 00:16
Has anyone been to a JET info session at their school? Is it worth going to?

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2013, 07:30
Read the lounge, it's far far far more informative than any info session.

The only reason to go to one of those is to see if they've posted the dates for application start or not.

therealwindycity
October 11th, 2013, 08:46
I thought mine was helpful. The person who ran it was the JET coordinator for my consulate, and meeting the consulate staff helps them have a little but better idea of who you are when the interview comes around. Making yourself stand out a little by showing you've been proactive in applying definitely can't hurt.

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2013, 09:57
True windy, and that did help my friend and his girlfriend get in. I just never saw much of a point to it... I had been to a few years before I joined JET (back when I tried uni for a credit) and they were just amazingly uninformative.

Jiggit
October 11th, 2013, 10:35
Networking > knowledge. If only I'd realised this when I was at college.

Libellule
October 12th, 2013, 03:09
Networking > knowledge.

This.

I might go then.

AVN
October 15th, 2013, 08:21
Can't hurt either. I think networking is the best reason to go.

AVN
October 17th, 2013, 08:29
Application is live!
Good luck!

Sarenka
October 17th, 2013, 09:15
I registered but it won't confirm my account. ;-; The website tells me my account is activated once I click the link, but when I attempt to log in, it tells me my account isn't validated. T-T What a jerk site.

Coolmanio
November 4th, 2013, 14:20
Hey all,

Fellow Canadian here just putting up the finishing touches on my SoP! I was wondering if anybody here would mine looking over mine for me?

grub
November 17th, 2013, 19:20
Has anyone been to a JET info session at their school? Is it worth going to?

I'm not from Canada, but this might still be relevant although a bit late. I went to a JET info session at uni (only 4 people, including myself attended) and it was presented by the JET Co-ordinator in Melbourne. The presentation ran for about an hour and it was mostly basic information about what JET is, what you do, what traits you need to have, tips on the SoP etc. He finished a little early and there was time for questions which was nice.

The consulate ran two more sessions in my state, with the addition of presentations from 2 returnee JETs. I didn't go to those though.

I guess networking is good.

Libellule
November 19th, 2013, 13:10
Thanks for the info! I ended up not going after all cuz I had to work :s

grub
November 19th, 2013, 23:09
You might want to check with the consulate if they have follow up sessions or if they can send you the slides of the presentation.

BoltMitch
February 5th, 2014, 07:43
Hey Canadian pals in Toronto! How early do the interviews begin on the 18th?

Ini
February 5th, 2014, 08:21
3am on the 16th. bizarrely japanese embassies use the Hebrew calendar

johnny
February 5th, 2014, 08:42
If you need to know Mitch, it's usually best to ask the consulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoltMitch
February 5th, 2014, 09:01
Thanks guys! I'm just a little nervous that I may be one of the first to be interviewed. :|

BoltMitch
February 5th, 2014, 09:50
When's your interview but more importantly, why does that concern you?
Maybe it's just superstition. It'd be nice to have a couple of buffer interviews before me to soften up the interviewers. haha

johnny
February 5th, 2014, 10:40
Maybe it's just superstition. It'd be nice to have a couple of buffer interviews before me to soften up the interviewers. haha

Second attempt, first interview.

Being first does kind of suck, but the interviewers will do their best to consider all applicants equally. They'll also take notes to which they can refer so your positive qualities are not forgotten.

For my part, I was the first interview on the second day and I did all right.

BoltMitch
February 5th, 2014, 10:56
Alright, that's encouraging. Thanks! Glad it went well for you.

nostos
February 6th, 2014, 00:48
I'm in the late afternoon on the last day (20th). I would rather be first!

tiger_claw448
February 6th, 2014, 00:57
Feb 18, first day, "Marine Corps lead the way..."

BoltMitch
February 6th, 2014, 01:29
Yahoo! Good luck guys, you can do it!

Kdes23
February 14th, 2014, 10:58
Hey Canada, best of luck.

Let us/me know if you have any questions pertaining to the interview, documents, etc.

We'll/I'll be glad to answer them.

Kaizen
February 27th, 2014, 15:20
Hello! I'm new here in this forum. Just want to say I'm one of the Toronto JET applicants! Looking forward to March/April!

BoltMitch
February 28th, 2014, 01:58
Welcome, Kaizen! Yahooo good luck! :D

Oh hey, which day did you interview?

Kaizen
February 28th, 2014, 12:39
Hey thanks! :)
I was interviewed on the 20th in the morning.

spman2099
February 28th, 2014, 14:17
Hey thanks! :)
I was interviewed on the 20th in the morning.

What time, Kaizan? I don't think I heard about anyone having an interview any earlier than twelve, I wonder when the earliest interview was.

Kaizen
February 28th, 2014, 15:04
Around 10ish. There were people before me so I'm guessing interviews can go early as 9 am. But I'm not entirely sure

BoltMitch
March 1st, 2014, 01:39
Cool! Maybe I ran into you, Kaizen. Mine was at 9:45am, but the person ahead of me didn't show up so I went in early.

lil
March 1st, 2014, 12:59
Hi everyone,

I had my interview in Vancouver two weeks ago. I believe it went okay....*cross fingers*

The interviewer said I will hear back in mid-April. Does anyone know when in mid-April?

AVN
March 1st, 2014, 13:07
My advice, try and get as far away from anything JET releated for the entire month of March. I heard back on the 9th of April and that was really early. Some don't hear back until the end of April.
You won't hear anything in March and nothing is going to change in March. Don't torture yourself forget about JET, focus on your back up plans, or your current life.

nostos
March 1st, 2014, 13:15
From what I've seen on blogs and such, its usually between the first and third weeks. I'd guess probably the week of the 13th.

Gizmotech
March 1st, 2014, 13:18
From what I've seen on blogs and such, its usually between the first and third weeks. I'd guess probably the week of the 13th.
It's entirely dependent on the year, and they aren't on a particularly rushed schedule.

Like AVN said, relax, work on plan B, C, D, and avoid JET entirely.

Kaizen
March 8th, 2014, 12:29
I'm shortlisted for Early Departure!!!! So happy!!! Got an email from the Toronto Consulate 5 hours ago!!

nostos
March 8th, 2014, 12:53
I'm shortlisted for Early Departure!!!! So happy!!! Got an email from the Toronto Consulate 5 hours ago!!

Congrats! That's so awesome!

itsabird
March 8th, 2014, 16:19
Congrats!

AVN
March 8th, 2014, 16:20

Congratulations! That's so exciting! I know a town looking for an Early Departure I wonder where you're going.

Shelia
March 9th, 2014, 17:06
Congrats! Keep us posted on where you end up :)

johnny
March 10th, 2014, 05:05
Congratulations!

BTW, I just thought I'd let you guys know I found my old notification and the Vancouver consulate let me know on April 13th about my interview results.

Kdes23
March 10th, 2014, 08:50

Congratulations. I wonder where you got placed...

lil
March 13th, 2014, 14:18
If anyone else job hunting while waiting for JET? I am about to graduate from university, so I have a few back-up plans in case JET doesn't work out. However, I am feeling a bit conflicted because what if I land a job before I hear from JET? Should I accept it.......or should I bank on JET and make plans after the results are out?

Kdes23
March 13th, 2014, 15:28
If anyone else job hunting while waiting for JET? I am about to graduate from university, so I have a few back-up plans in case JET doesn't work out. However, I am feeling a bit conflicted because what if I land a job before I hear from JET? Should I accept it.......or should I bank on JET and make plans after the results are out?

Personally, I would apply to places now. If you find out that you've been shortlisted, great, go with JET. If you get placed as an Alternate, go forth with the other plans.

lil
March 14th, 2014, 04:42
Personally, I would apply to places now. If you find out that you've been shortlisted, great, go with JET. If you get placed as an Alternate, go forth with the other plans.

Thanks! I am so stressed out right now with planning..... @__@ Hope JET responds soon....

itsabird
March 14th, 2014, 04:44
Thanks! I am so stressed out right now with planning..... @__@ Hope JET responds soon....

Hah. Get comfortable.

Kdes23
March 14th, 2014, 08:15

Well you still have anywhere from 2 weeks to a month before you find out.
If Japan is where you want to go, then start practicing Japanese at the very least. I'd recommend finding at least 1 or two alternative options given that you don't make it/are placed as an alternate.

AND don't ever become one of those people that ride on to their Alternate status until December, only to find out that they never made it. Such a waste of time.

lil
March 14th, 2014, 08:28
Well you still have anywhere from 2 weeks to a month before you find out.
If Japan is where you want to go, then start practicing Japanese at the very least. I'd recommend finding at least 1 or two alternative options given that you don't make it/are placed as an alternate.

AND don't ever become one of those people that ride on to their Alternate status until December, only to find out that they never made it. Such a waste of time.

Wait....it's possible to be an alternate until December?!

Kdes23
March 14th, 2014, 08:33
Wait....it's possible to be an alternate until December?!

Yeah. It's a lot less likely to get upgraded in December, but it happens. Sometimes an ALT will just randomly break contract and leave.

Gizmotech
March 14th, 2014, 08:55
Yes, it's possible to be an alternate until December.

Most alternates remove themselves from the alternate pool in late summer by choice just to ensure they aren't upgrading super late. I mean seriously, if you haven't been upgraded by the end of July your chances of being upgraded get slimmer and slimmer.

Wasabi
March 15th, 2014, 04:08
I rode the alternate status train all the way until the end (I'm applying out of the US, FYI). I got an e-mail letting me know that no more upgrades were possible as of December 20 or 22nd. I had (and still have) a stable, full time job though, so it wasn't really an issue for me. If you're an unemployed alternate counting on JET and JET alone, then I think you really should start making plans (as others have said) if you don't hear anything by June/July. Heck, you should be making them now in my opinion. Good luck!

Kdes23
March 15th, 2014, 08:45
I agree to an extent.

I think it depends what kind of job you have. If it's a full time job, working somewhere in retail or at a restaurant (essentially anywhere with no education requirement) then I think it's a waste of time. Considering JET requires a university degree, I think you're wasting away your career. You spent 4 years in university to do what?
If it's a job that's somewhat in your field of study or that looks good on a resume, then sure.

I'm just saying this because I know a few people that had shitty jobs and held on to their alternate status til the very end.

Wasabi
March 16th, 2014, 02:28
I hear ya, Kdes - I did a 6 month stint in retail and that was plenty enough time for me. While the job I'm in isn't ideal, it's in banking which does relate to my accounting degree. Most importantly they offer me benefits and we just moved into a brand new HQ.

Considering that unemployment is 9.3% in my state I'm pretty lucky to have something at all!

aat42
March 28th, 2014, 07:03
Hi Aspiring Canadian JETs! I am new here and have been scouring the threads trying to find a response to my question. Without any luck, I thought I would turn to all of you :)

Sorting out all my plan B's / possible options, I started thinking about how much I would be able to save from working as an ALT. Does anyone have an approximate figure --> $35,000 salary (minus) - rent - moderate food - internet - cell phone? How much can we estimate we'll come home with? Hypothetically without counting travel plans or nights out... and I do understand there will be fluctuations depending on placement location

Thanks in advance for your help !

yingyangryder
March 28th, 2014, 07:57
That is a definitely a case by case kind of question. I go out a hell of a lot and travel almost every weekend, so right now I am not saving too much. However, my predecessor never went out (that I know of) and because of the low rent (I live in the back arse of nowhere) and low outgoings he was able to put away about 18-20 man a month. I too, could save this amount but I would rather enjoy my time here and go out. But as you said, it is dependent upon placement location. Some of my friends have to pay higher rent and must use a car which skyrockets their outgoings each month.

Kdes23
March 28th, 2014, 09:08
You take home about $2400-$2500 a month (clear).

Things that I usually have to worry about per month (with respective costs):
My car insurance ($70), my gas ($20), my phone ($70), my rent ($500), my groceries ($120-150), eating out/kombini ($50-100), sending money home to pay loans ($200-500). My leftover expenses go to extra-savings, and to trips.

This is going to vary and unfortunately there's no way to really prepare for it. You won't know your costs until you get in contact with your predecessor. You could pay over $500 a month for rent, or you could end up having subsidized rent and paying as little as $50 a month. These sorts of things will make a huge difference in how much money you end up saving.

Gizmotech
March 28th, 2014, 10:27
ya, about 2400 a month or so in pay, then take off a bunch of stuff.

I saved a lot of money in my first year, but then I was a bit of a hermit at that time. Now I am much less of a hermit and I frankly don't really save any money any more.

AVN
March 28th, 2014, 20:06
Hi Aspiring Canadian JETs! I am new here and have been scouring the threads trying to find a response to my question. Without any luck, I thought I would turn to all of you :)

Sorting out all my plan B's / possible options, I started thinking about how much I would be able to save from working as an ALT. Does anyone have an approximate figure --> $35,000 salary (minus) - rent - moderate food - internet - cell phone? How much can we estimate we'll come home with? Hypothetically without counting travel plans or nights out... and I do understand there will be fluctuations depending on placement location

Thanks in advance for your help !

Don't forget taxes, pension, and health insurance.

aat42
March 29th, 2014, 01:44
Thank you all for your responses! Am just trying to figure out if its worth it, financially, to give up full time summer employment locally etc

whitehexe
March 29th, 2014, 07:33
Canadian Aspiring JET here, from British Columbia. In my last semester of University, and like all of you just waiting to hear back from Vancouver/Tokyo!

Randomgirl
March 29th, 2014, 07:54
Me too whithexe! Hope we can meet at the predeparture orientation :)

Sarenka
April 2nd, 2014, 00:04
/anxiety attack

The US results are coming in... Canada next week? Please? ;_;

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2014, 01:01
Canada will likely be end of the week or early next week. Please wait as the Ottawa coordinator needs to send info to the other consulates first and it takes a bit of time if they are busy.

Sarenka
April 2nd, 2014, 01:13
Canada will likely be end of the week or early next week. Please wait as the Ottawa coordinator needs to send info to the other consulates first and it takes a bit of time if they are busy.

Wah I was hoping it would be a couple more weeks. I have a thesis to finish writing but now I'm going to worry over this, or be depressed if I get rejected.

Someone will burn in hell if this is all a big, well coordinated April Fool's joke though haha....

nostos
April 2nd, 2014, 06:13
US is getting interview results, meanwhile JET Canada posts on facebook asking for tagline ideas...how about: "JET Programme: We'll make you wait for it."

(In real life, I know it takes time to get all the info organized and out, but its hard to concentrate when other people are getting results!)

Spacey
April 2nd, 2014, 08:20
(In real life, I know it takes time to get all the info organized and out, but its hard to concentrate when other people are getting results!)

I was checking my emails constantly this time last year - even in my dreams!! I remember counting it out, and my mother-in-law had sent me no fewer than 30 emails just chatting about everyday stuff that month... I was losing my mind.

landgoat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:52
Does anyone know if the Canadian JET Programme typically emails results?

Gizmotech
April 3rd, 2014, 07:42
yes

johnny
April 3rd, 2014, 10:18

Vancouver does anyway. I never received a phone call from Jet. I had only received emails for general communication. I can only remember receiving one package or letter from Jet too.

nlChristina
April 3rd, 2014, 10:25

Montreal e-mailed ours last year!

AVN
April 3rd, 2014, 19:55
As far as I know as of the 2010 intake positive results have been sent by email.

ihatefall
April 3rd, 2014, 20:42
After 2 years, I left with around $18K USD in my account before the pension refund. Most was saved the 1st year, the 2nd year I traveled a lot and bought a lot of bike frames.
If you budget so should be able to save 30-60% of your pay. The first year I made it my objective to save 50%.

landgoat
April 3rd, 2014, 23:35
I was worried I prematurely registered for this forum, only to ask one question, however notifications are indeed sent out by email!
Just found out this morning that I'm on the short list. (For reference, my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, not sure if results are sent out alphabetically, but they are going out now!)

Sarenka
April 3rd, 2014, 23:46
I was worried I prematurely registered for this forum, only to ask one question, however notifications are indeed sent out by email!
Just found out this morning that I'm on the short list. (For reference, my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, not sure if results are sent out alphabetically, but they are going out now!)

Oh god. What consulate?

spman2099
April 3rd, 2014, 23:51
Toronto results are in, I am an alternate. Congratulations to all those who were shortlisted, surely there was a mistake at the embassy and they accidentally mixed up our paperwork. Good luck to all other alternates, I hope there are enough spots for all of you after I take the first alternate position offered.

P.S. I am just kidding, I extend my genuine congratulations to those who made the first cut. You guys are rock stars. As for the other alternates, all we can do is embrace the uncertainty and hope for the best (while securing a backup option). Cheers!

landgoat
April 4th, 2014, 00:00
Oh god. What consulate?

Toronto!

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 00:02
Toronto!

*Tries not to pass out* I'm in ye ol tiny Halifax consulate. I have a feeling we'll be last...

spman2099
April 4th, 2014, 00:05
*Tries not to pass out* I'm in ye ol tiny Halifax consulate. I have a feeling we'll be last...

There are three people in your province. I don't see why you weren't first...

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 00:15
There are three people in your province. I don't see why you weren't first...

They forgot about our existence?

Kimathen
April 4th, 2014, 00:15
Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker here for a few months, and I just got the e-mail from the embassy saying I got short-listed, so I made an account! Unfortunately, my fiancé applied with me and he didn't get it, so now we have to figure out what our options are.

Congratulations to everyone, and nice to meet you all! :D

spman2099
April 4th, 2014, 00:19
Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker here for a few months, and I just got the e-mail from the embassy saying I got short-listed, so I made an account! Unfortunately, my fiancé applied with me and he didn't get it, so now we have to figure out what our options are.

That... is a tough one. That being said, congratulations.

itsabird
April 4th, 2014, 00:29
Hi everyone!

Depends. If you're from Miami then by all means decline :). I'm not saying that because I want your spot... Of course not!!

All joking aside though... Tough decision. I have no helpful advice for you because that isn't my predicament...

STVNLM
April 4th, 2014, 00:36
Toronto was sent out this morning @10am.
Was shortlisted as well.

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 00:36
Some tears of elation, anxiety, and straight up fear later I've been short listed from Halifax.

landgoat
April 4th, 2014, 00:41
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting people at orientation. Now to get on all this new paperwork!

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 00:51
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting people at orientation. Now to get on all this new paperwork!

Did you get an attachment with the email? Or does the reply form come in the mail?

Kimathen
April 4th, 2014, 00:52
Did you get an attachment with the email? Or does the reply form come in the mail?

There's a link to the reply form in the e-mail.

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 00:58
There's a link to the reply form in the e-mail.

Well don't I feel stupid for not reading past the signature. xD Thank you.

specialk89
April 4th, 2014, 01:30
Well don't I feel stupid for not reading past the signature. xD Thank you.

Congratulations to all! Just fond out that I was short listed. I'm looking forward in meeting the rest of us in the coming orientations. As for the required documentations, I received a second email from Marcia with 4 attachments of the required paper works. I'm not so sure about the link to the reply form. Double check your inbox again.

BoltMitch
April 4th, 2014, 01:37
Yahoo! I was short listed. Congratulations to everyone else!

Kimathen
April 4th, 2014, 01:37
Congratulations to all! Just fond out that I was short listed. I'm looking forward in meeting the rest of us in the coming orientations. As for the required documentations, I received a second email from Marcia with 4 attachments of the required paper works. I'm not so sure about the link to the reply form. Double check your inbox again.

I guess the consulates have different ways of communicating the news, haha. The e-mail with the link to the reply form was from the Ottawa embassy. :)

Congratulations!

Randomgirl
April 4th, 2014, 01:40
So will our email come from the embassy in Ottawa (I'm in vancouver) or from our coordinator? I'm confused!

Thanks, and congrats to all who have found out so far. Still in the dark out west ;) not long now though, and can't change the results by worrying, so I'm trying to keep my chin up!

Rg

specialk89
April 4th, 2014, 01:46
Sorry I forgot to specify, Toronto coordinator Marcia sent the emails out. Two emails to be more specific. so Rg, I'm thinking results will be sent by the Vancouver coordinator and hopefully to hear back sometime today.

Randomgirl
April 4th, 2014, 02:02
Ah! Thanks for clarifying! Then I won't bother checking my junk mail, as it should go to my inbox!

Tarepanda
April 4th, 2014, 02:17
I just received my email today, and it seems I didn't get through. Congratulations to all the people who were shortlisted! All the best to all of you!

itsabird
April 4th, 2014, 02:20
I just received my email today, and it seems I didn't get through. Congratulations to all the people who were shortlisted! All the best to all of you!

Are you reapply next year or applying to any other programs? And I'm sorry to hear that :/.

Tarepanda
April 4th, 2014, 02:29
Are you reapply next year or applying to any other programs? And I'm sorry to hear that :/.

I'm not sure if I will reapply next year. But I've applied to Interac earlier last month and my interview is next week.

If that doesn't work out though, I think I might move on for a few years before doing it all over again. And besides, it's a little heartbreaking to think about doing it all over again right now.

Chipster
April 4th, 2014, 02:58
I just got the e-mail 15 minutes ago... I was short-listed!
Applicant at the Alberta embassy!

I'm in shock.

Dionysian
April 4th, 2014, 05:47
Shortlisted from Alberta as well. Got the email around 11:50 and headed to the nearest bar I could find. Cheers to everybody and I look forward to meet everyone at TO.

nostos
April 4th, 2014, 06:11
Shortlisted in Toronto! I got my email just after 9am this morning :)

nlChristina
April 4th, 2014, 08:55
Some tears of elation, anxiety, and straight up fear later I've been short listed from Halifax.

From a fellow Atlantic Canadian, congratulations!!
There were only seven of us that made the cut last year (and we represented all four Atlantic provinces!), so we have a nice little community! Feel free to message me at any time if you have questions, just wanna chat, etc. :)

P.S. If your Halifax Weekend Orientation is anything like ours was last year, you're in for a real treat! :)

STVNLM
April 4th, 2014, 09:11
Is the departure date Aug 2nd? :[ Wish it was a week later...

landgoat
April 4th, 2014, 09:17
Is the departure date Aug 2nd? :[ Wish it was a week later...

I believe it's the 3rd of August, if I'm not mistaken?

Randomgirl
April 4th, 2014, 09:32
5:35 and no news from vancouver :( tomorrow it is, I hope!!!

nostos
April 4th, 2014, 10:00
Yeah newest documentation says Aug 3rd, but an email I got a while back said the 2nd.

Antonath
April 4th, 2014, 10:11
It's most likely depart on the 2nd and arrive on the 3rd.

tiger_claw448
April 4th, 2014, 10:46
Shock and awe upon receiving shortlist email, as I had counted on not being accepted, while working a meaningful job in Asia already. The future is not fixed, our choices are our own, and yet how ironic, for I now find I have no choice at all.....any of the older guys (25+) care to give a piece of mature advice?

johnny
April 4th, 2014, 11:13
Shock and awe upon receiving shortlist email, as I had counted on not being accepted, while working a meaningful job in Asia already. The future is not fixed, our choices are our own, and yet how ironic, for I now find I have no choice at all.....any of the older guys (25+) care to give a piece of mature advice?

I'm 31, so I more than know how you feel. Honestly, I wouldn't sacrifice a meaningful career opportunity for JET. If you feel like your options are limited, JET offers a fun job with good pay. You can also learn about living in a different culture, learn a new language and travel around a pretty cool country. That being said, you need a lot of hard work and even more luck to change this into a real career. So if you're older than 25 and are on a career track, I would really consider staying where you are.

It seems like it's only getting harder in Canada right now. So I hope things work out well for you.

Gizmotech
April 4th, 2014, 11:20
I'm 31, so I more than know how you feel. Honestly, I wouldn't sacrifice a meaningful career opportunity for JET. If you feel like your options are limited, JET offers a fun job with good pay. You can also learn about living in a different culture, learn a new language and travel around a pretty cool country. That being said, you need a lot of hard work and even more luck to change this into a real career. So if you're older than 25 and are on a career track, I would really consider staying where you are.

It seems like it's only getting harder in Canada right now. So I hope things work out well for you.

Word, also 31. This is the beginning of my career track (English Language Teacher), so from here it's a stepping stone to other options. Had I stayed in my previous jobs (which were better paying) I would never have come on JET as late as I did.

lil
April 4th, 2014, 11:25
Vancouver not out yet...but I have already accepted a job offer :'(

Ercasse
April 4th, 2014, 11:26
It's most likely depart on the 2nd and arrive on the 3rd.

Can confirm. New new Group B kids arrive on the 3rd. So doing the time difference math, Canadians will leave on the 2nd for arrival on the 3rd.

Come if you can rather clearly see how JET fits in to realising whatever goals you may have. JET is honestly, to me, not even really about the job in particular. That portion of the program is such a shot in the dark (unless you are looking to continue teaching in Japan or ESL here or other places) I don't think people should come here for the ALT job in particular. A lot of what makes the experience worthwhile is the time in Japan itself and how that spent time here translates into skills/personal development for your future. 100% agree with Johnny, if this is just a lark and will de-rail your career it might be better to leave off. But, if you think that a) you career can handle the hit AND b) it will be a really positive experience for you in some personal way, JOIN US.

landgoat
April 4th, 2014, 13:33
Is it best to jump on getting the Criminal Record Check as soon as possible? There's a location that I can get to this coming Saturday, and the results come back within 10 business days.
They're due June 20th, but is it ideal to send in everything all together for the first deadline?

johnny
April 4th, 2014, 13:37
Email your coordinator, but I don't think doing the background check now will help. Once you're short listed, the consulate will send you a letter that the police will request before doing a vulnerable sectors search (at least for RCMP checks). My local detachment wouldn't do the background check before they received that letter.

Gizmotech
April 4th, 2014, 13:40
When I came over 3 years ago they weren't allowing vulnerable persons checks for out of country work. It was a new thing that year too...

johnny
April 4th, 2014, 13:44
When I came over 3 years ago they weren't allowing vulnerable persons checks for out of country work. It was a new thing that year too...

The coordinator will know best. This kind of procedure may vary from province to province. The RCMP might have different rules than the OPP.

landgoat
April 4th, 2014, 13:46
Thanks johnny and Gizmotech! I'll get in touch with my coordinator as I have a few more questions about other details as well.

tiger_claw448
April 4th, 2014, 16:23
Can confirm. New new Group B kids arrive on the 3rd. So doing the time difference math, Canadians will leave on the 2nd for arrival on the 3rd.

Come if you can rather clearly see how JET fits in to realising whatever goals you may have. JET is honestly, to me, not even really about the job in particular. That portion of the program is such a shot in the dark (unless you are looking to continue teaching in Japan or ESL here or other places) I don't think people should come here for the ALT job in particular. A lot of what makes the experience worthwhile is the time in Japan itself and how that spent time here translates into skills/personal development for your future. 100% agree with Johnny, if this is just a lark and will de-rail your career it might be better to leave off. But, if you think that a) you career can handle the hit AND b) it will be a really positive experience for you in some personal way, JOIN US.

Thanks for the sound advice Ercasse. Yes I know that the teaching part of JET is the surface for the public to see, and how much you get out of it depends on how much you put in. I have just been 6 months into a job that I see turning into a good career, yet at the same time, feel like I can afford to take some time off as I'm still 25 yrs old. I'm going to take the leap of faith into JET, as they say in the SAS "Who Dares, Wins".

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 01:28
Today, vancouver?! Hopefully?!

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 01:47
From a fellow Atlantic Canadian, congratulations!!
There were only seven of us that made the cut last year (and we represented all four Atlantic provinces!), so we have a nice little community! Feel free to message me at any time if you have questions, just wanna chat, etc. :)

P.S. If your Halifax Weekend Orientation is anything like ours was last year, you're in for a real treat! :)

That's great! I prefer tight-knit communities. :) I'm really excited to get all of this underway, and I'm trying to rush on the paperwork haha. I'll try not to flood you with too many questions!

oystercrackers
April 5th, 2014, 05:09
I am waiting to hear back from Vancouver and it's painful! Just give us our results!

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 05:39
Me too :(

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 06:10
Well the event calender has been sent out. I'm a bit disappointed that there is so little available for those outside of Montreal. I was really hoping for the language intensive classes to be held in Halifax too (I heard they have been before as well). :(

Also if I'm selecting Halifax as my departure airport, does that mean they will be flying me out and taking care of the hotel in order for me to attend the mandatory per-departure orientation in Montreal? Or is that my responsibility? It all seems a little confusing in terms of planning...

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 08:30
Vancouver results are out! Short listed!!

nostos
April 5th, 2014, 08:45
Wee! Congrats!

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 09:04
Thank you!!!

afterwards
April 5th, 2014, 09:06
Ahhh still no e-mail in Vancouver! I'm guessing that means I wasn't shortlisted...?

The consulate closed 15 minutes ago... The idea of waiting until Monday just to be rejected is brutal. :(

Chipster
April 5th, 2014, 09:14
Not necessarily. It might be because your last name is later in the alphabet, I believe.

afterwards
April 5th, 2014, 09:27
Just got it, I'm an alternate. Knew I messed up that interview. Congrats to those who were shortlisted! Now the waiting begins again...

nlChristina
April 5th, 2014, 11:30
Well the event calender has been sent out. I'm a bit disappointed that there is so little available for those outside of Montreal. I was really hoping for the language intensive classes to be held in Halifax too (I heard they have been before as well). :(

I know - it really is too bad that we don't have a larger JET community in the Atlantic Provinces (yet)!
Maybe you can see about other Japanese classes being offered in Halifax? Unfortunately, they probably won't be free like the MTL JET-sponsored ones are, but I did three months of weekly Japanese lessons in my hometown before departure and it was a good investment. :)

lil
April 5th, 2014, 14:10
Just got it, I'm an alternate. Knew I messed up that interview. Congrats to those who were shortlisted! Now the waiting begins again...

Rejected but I already accepted a job offer. I am glad I did.

AVN
April 5th, 2014, 17:03
First congratulations to everyone who got in!
Condolences to those who didn't, but it's not the end of the world, if you really want to go to Japan you still can, if you don't, you have time to figure things out at home.

I understand your point, I think it should be part of the decision making process but, I ask everyone, short listed, alternate, and aspiring JETs, to keep in mind that even though many people downplay the ALT job (and depending on the placement your actual freedom to make a difference may be limited) you are still working.

It may feel like being an ALT is not a real job but the impact your work/presence (even if you don't actually have that much in the way of responsibilities to your name) still affects the students.
If you are treating the job like a joke, chances are the students will know. This could influence how they see the study of the English language, foreigners, etc.
I know there will be eye rolls, but "won't somebody please think of the children?"

Gizmotech
April 5th, 2014, 18:48
To hell with the children. Being awesome at my job opened me up to many different opportunities beyond my career objectives, and I do things now I never could have done if I had slagged off my work all these years.

Other alts complain about their job to me, or never talk about it because it's terrible, but treating it like a job makes all the difference in the work place.

Also, I'll be the first person to say it doesn't matter what advertising you got before you got here, your job will either be a teacher, entertainer, or door stop. Internationalization is not a job, it's part of just being here.

AVN
April 5th, 2014, 19:16
Haha
That's another way to look at it, yes.

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 21:06
I know - it really is too bad that we don't have a larger JET community in the Atlantic Provinces (yet)!
Maybe you can see about other Japanese classes being offered in Halifax? Unfortunately, they probably won't be free like the MTL JET-sponsored ones are, but I did three months of weekly Japanese lessons in my hometown before departure and it was a good investment. :)

I'm hoping I can find something like that! If not my resources will consist of Rosetta Stone and introductory Japanese lesson books from my university (without the actual classes haha). I'll definitely get some kind of practice in the next few months.

johnny
April 6th, 2014, 00:12
Sarenka, a pretty popular textbook with some of the ALT's in my area are the "Genki" textbooks. They're pretty good because they force you to start reading hiragana and katakana pretty early on. They're much better than the CLAIR Japanese textbooks that JET applicants can use for free.

fioreeli
April 7th, 2014, 08:13
Hey everyone! Long time reader, first time posting.

I was short-listed in Montreal. Are there any other Montreal short-listers in here?

Congratulations to everyone!

spman2099
April 7th, 2014, 09:03
Sarenka, a pretty popular textbook with some of the ALT's in my area are the "Genki" textbooks. They're pretty good because they force you to start reading hiragana and katakana pretty early on. They're much better than the CLAIR Japanese textbooks that JET applicants can use for free.

There is a free ebook of it floating around. In fact, all you need to google is "Genki ebook".

johnny
April 7th, 2014, 09:06
There is a free ebook of it floating around. In fact, all you need to google is "Genki ebook".

No kidding? Well, there you go then folks. I'd go with that.

Sarenka
April 7th, 2014, 09:36

Woo free ebook is always a fantastic combination of words. Thanks a bunch. :D

mbeau118
April 7th, 2014, 11:13
Well the event calender has been sent out. I'm a bit disappointed that there is so little available for those outside of Montreal.

Question for you, I was short-listed via Toronto and didn't get an event calendar! Is it something that's available online, or were you e-mailed it. Would really appreciate your, or anyone else's, help. Cheers!

Gizmotech
April 7th, 2014, 12:53
I didn't read the convo, but good lord are the CLAIR Japanese books horrific. No one I know who went from 0 to Japanese did it with the CLAIR books, and those of us who studied before coming either went straight to middle or advanced.

I just ended up skipping them all together and focused on Kanji Learning Instead. Wanikani is a good tool if you're starting from 0 (or having studied before)

johnny
April 7th, 2014, 13:15
I use the "Japanese" app. It's pretty good.

Ercasse
April 7th, 2014, 14:18
First congratulations to everyone who got in!
Condolences to those who didn't, but it's not the end of the world, if you really want to go to Japan you still can, if you don't, you have time to figure things out at home.

I understand your point, I think it should be part of the decision making process but, I ask everyone, short listed, alternate, and aspiring JETs, to keep in mind that even though many people downplay the ALT job (and depending on the placement your actual freedom to make a difference may be limited) you are still working.

It may feel like being an ALT is not a real job but the impact your work/presence (even if you don't actually have that much in the way of responsibilities to your name) still affects the students.
If you are treating the job like a joke, chances are the students will know. This could influence how they see the study of the English language, foreigners, etc.
I know there will be eye rolls, but "won't somebody please think of the children?"

I 100% agree with you. A job is a job, and people should always be commited to doing a good one. Particularly in education it's really unfair to your students to not try and do the very best you can. JETs do come here to work first and foremost. Honestly, JETs come in all kinds but I think for the most part people come with this attitude. Or, at the very least try to do well.

aat42
April 8th, 2014, 02:29
I was shortlisted last week from Vancouver but have been thinking hard about whether to turn down a local opportunity I received or not. I will be declining this year and hopefully in future, if I ever re-apply to JET, then the chance will still stand (not sure about the stats on that). Ahh, I wish I could do both but timing with orientation and departure just don't fit with my schedule soo... Vancouver alternates hold tight and hopefully my spot will go to someone whose heart is set on going :(

afterwards
April 8th, 2014, 06:55
I was shortlisted last week from Vancouver but have been thinking hard about whether to turn down a local opportunity I received or not. I will be declining this year and hopefully in future, if I ever re-apply to JET, then the chance will still stand (not sure about the stats on that). Ahh, I wish I could do both but timing with orientation and departure just don't fit with my schedule soo... Vancouver alternates hold tight and hopefully my spot will go to someone whose heart is set on going :(

Congratulations and good luck with your other opportunity! As a Vancouver alternate, you've given me just a tiny bit of hope today haha.

webstaa
April 8th, 2014, 15:31
I 100% agree with you. A job is a job, and people should always be commited to doing a good one. Particularly in education it's really unfair to your students to not try and do the very best you can. JETs do come here to work first and foremost. Honestly, JETs come in all kinds but I think for the most part people come with this attitude. Or, at the very least try to do well.

This is one thing that they try, and fail to get across - your job isn't just teaching English - you're being paid to be an upstanding member of the local community who just so happens to work as an assistant teacher in school. Even if you don't go all out creating curriculum/translating local tourist info etc, as long as the community sees you as a person who is an asset to their society and not some lazy playboy or drunken college student, you've done a large part of your job.

Jiggit
April 8th, 2014, 15:39
This is one thing that they try, and fail to get across - your job isn't just teaching English - you're being paid to be an upstanding member of the local community who just so happens to work as an assistant teacher in school. Even if you don't go all out creating curriculum/translating local tourist info etc, as long as the community sees you as a person who is an asset to their society and not some lazy playboy or drunken college student, you've done a large part of your job.

Eh. Certainly your school won't care in the slightest how involved you are in the community so long as you aren't making an absolute disgrace of yourself. Sitting in your apartment alone all day every day is fine from their point of view. Of course JET likes to claim that's what they want but once you get shipped out to your placement there's little incentive to do so. And tbh for the majority of JETs you'd have to go out of your way to even find out how you might get involved.

I mean if that's what you want to do then by all means. But nobody will care that much if you don't.

Gizmotech
April 8th, 2014, 15:41

Funny enough, my drunk escapades ended up with me meeting a really awesome guy in our center town snack area. I go to his restaurant every week, teach him and his daughter English. Once a month I cook on Sunday afternoons and random people from nearby businesses come and enjoy themselves. I've met probably 10% of my students parents at one point or another while out drinking with him. I don't think ANYONE I've met thinks I'm a lazy drunk at all (and most of em like me more than him because I'm not grabby in the snacks).

That being said, the rest of that post is entirely true. Nothing worse than a disruptive ALT being stupid in town. Nevermind if there's a group of em... God that was a terrible night for me.

AVN
April 8th, 2014, 19:58
I know I wasn't, and I don't think Ercasse was either, implying that the ALT needed to be a pro teacher, whipping out curriculum and lesson plans on par with a licensed teacher. Just to take their job seriously.
I also completely agree with Jiggit and Gizmo, you are employed to work in a school. You are not required to do anything outside of working hours (unless it's sports day, eikaiwa etc). I knew lots of really well liked (by their town and employers) ALTs who went straight home after work and stayed there. You should not feel any pressure to force yourself to go out and do anything that feels unnatural. You should also remember that outside of work you are not the centre of the universe, even if sometimes it feels that way in a small town. Forcing internationalization may end up making people uncomfortable. They may agree to things that are actually a burden to them.
If something happens organically, by all means go for it, but just be yourself.

aat42
April 9th, 2014, 00:34
Congratulations and good luck with your other opportunity! As a Vancouver alternate, you've given me just a tiny bit of hope today haha.

Ah thank you!!! Your message made me really happy because this decision definitely wasn't an easy one.... I hope it will work out for you :)

Yarilo
April 9th, 2014, 04:17
Hello~
I've migrated here from the "official" JET forums, since, uh. They've shut down the Aspiring forum there.
That said, I've been Short-Listed from Toronto! This was my second time applying (last year I was an alternate). Couldn't be happier. Congratulations to all those that also got accepted! Would be great to meet you guys at Orientation :) And for those that are still waiting - best of luck!

spman2099
April 9th, 2014, 06:47
Hello~
I've migrated here from the "official" JET forums, since, uh. They've shut down the Aspiring forum there.
That said, I've been Short-Listed from Toronto! This was my second time applying (last year I was an alternate). Couldn't be happier. Congratulations to all those that also got accepted! Would be great to meet you guys at Orientation :) And for those that are still waiting - best of luck!

Congratulations! I don't think I could apply a second time around. The process is too long. However, sticking with it clearly paid off for you.

AVN
April 9th, 2014, 19:49
Congratulations Yarilo! I was very happy for you when LiDe told me. I too was a second time applier, who got in the second time. I realised after living and working here a while that it was in no way reflective on my capabilities. Just luck in some ways. So good luck! Where did you request? Hokkaido too?

Yarilo
April 9th, 2014, 23:00
Congratulations Yarilo! I was very happy for you when LiDe told me. I too was a second time applier, who got in the second time. I realised after living and working here a while that it was in no way reflective on my capabilities. Just luck in some ways. So good luck! Where did you request? Hokkaido too?

Thanks AVNicholls! I re-read the letter multiple times this time around, before I let myself get excited! ---then I asked other people if I was reading it right hahaha. I requested Mie and Ishikawa Prefs, but then stated on my Candidate form (and interview) that I'd be happy anywhere, so we'll see!

landgoat
April 10th, 2014, 18:57
Does any one know approximately when and for how long they will have our original passports for acquiring the visa?

jacklostinred
April 10th, 2014, 21:38
It is generally consulate specific but I believe it is 3 weeks or so but they may be able to rush it if for some reason you can't get it to them/are out of the country before you leave for Japan.

snargflax
April 10th, 2014, 22:43
As an alternate I'd just like to remind all the Canadian shortlisters of the following:

1) Experts predict that next year in Japan there will be a dramatic upsurge in earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, and constant Godzilla attacks.

2) Teaching in Korea pays great and most places will pay for your rent in addition to your flight. Why pay rent like a sucker with JET when you can be living on easy street in Seoul. Did I mention Seoul has free wifi everywhere? Also all KPOP singers love foreigners so you will undoubtedly be able to get any one of your choosing to become your romantic partner. Annyeong Haseyo!

3) If for some strange reason you do choose to continue with your application then please don't bother with any of that trivial paperwork like getting your criminal background or medical check done. These days, who has time for such nonsense?

As I'm sure you know, Japanese culture is very respect and honour based so simply tell your consulate that you give them your WORD OF HONOUR that you are healthy and not a criminal and this will certainly suffice.

If the consulate tries to tell you this is not acceptable, this is actually a test of your understanding of Japanese culture, and the correct response is to DEMAND to speak directly to the Japanese ambassador so that you may seek redress for this insult to your honour by challenging him to a duel.

itsabird
April 10th, 2014, 22:57
I didn't realize we were in the lounge...

I still haven't received my passport...

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2014, 00:17
Comedy gold snargflax. well done.

johnny
April 11th, 2014, 08:27
I just spent 9 days in Seoul. I love going there. Joking aside, living in Seoul would be a lot of fun.

tiger_claw448
May 29th, 2014, 10:37
Does anyone know if due dates can be extended for the medical form if it was the clinic's fault by forgetting to do one test? I ask this because my clinic did not give me a test for occult blood during my first visit, which meant I had to do it just recently. I heard results may take weeks to come back...

johnny
May 29th, 2014, 10:39
Call your consulate now. If they're closed, get up first thing in the morning to let them know about the late document and to make sure everything is okay.

tiger_claw448
May 29th, 2014, 10:53
i hear you johnny

Gizmotech
May 29th, 2014, 10:57
Does anyone know if due dates can be extended for the medical form if it was the clinic's fault by forgetting to do one test? I ask this because my clinic did not give me a test for occult blood during my first visit, which meant I had to do it just recently. I heard results may take weeks to come back...

What test does your clinic need to do? The only thing that couldn't be done in he clinic I went to was the x-Ray, and they sent me to another X-ray place to get it done. I don't remember blood work or anything like that, unless they've really amped up the health check form this year.

Please contact your consulate ASAP and talk to them. Call them for sure, don't let this problem goto email.

nostos
May 29th, 2014, 10:58
how could it take weeks? isn't that just a pee test?

tiger_claw448
May 29th, 2014, 11:16
how could it take weeks? isn't that just a pee test?

For this year's medical form, there are 3 boxes for Urinology: glucose, protein, and occult blood. I thought all of them were done by pee test too, so I don't know if the doctor glanced over it, but when I went back to my clinic to see results the doctor said the occult blood is to check for colorectal cancer which uses another test. She gave me a kit to collect 3 days feces sample to mail to laboratory, and the time it takes for the results to get back could take a few weeks. Am I missing something here or the doctor misinterpreted something?

nostos
May 29th, 2014, 11:21
or the doctor misinterpreted something?

possibly. according to the almighty google there are both feces and urine occult blood tests. my clinic just did the urine one. seems to have been accepted as i haven't heard anything about it from the consulate.

edit: especially as its under the urinalysis section, haha...

Gizmotech
May 29th, 2014, 12:26
Jesus, they really are getting a little invasive aren't they.

Randomgirl
May 30th, 2014, 03:55
I think your doc misinterpreted it, as it asks about blood in the urine. If I remember, it said "urinalysis" and then had check boxes beside protein, sugar and blood. My doc here in vancouver did it in her office in 5 seconds with a dipstick. Definitely call your consulate, but there were no stool samples required here!!! Good luck!

Sarenka
May 30th, 2014, 10:44
For this year's medical form, there are 3 boxes for Urinology: glucose, protein, and occult blood. I thought all of them were done by pee test too, so I don't know if the doctor glanced over it, but when I went back to my clinic to see results the doctor said the occult blood is to check for colorectal cancer which uses another test. She gave me a kit to collect 3 days feces sample to mail to laboratory, and the time it takes for the results to get back could take a few weeks. Am I missing something here or the doctor misinterpreted something?

Yea I really don't think you need to be collecting feces... My doctor was just fine with a urinalysis for occult blood. If you can get results rushed (depending where you are) you can probably get results in just a day or two; doesnt take that long to process in my experience.

tiger_claw448
May 30th, 2014, 13:07
Yea I really don't think you need to be collecting feces... My doctor was just fine with a urinalysis for occult blood. If you can get results rushed (depending where you are) you can probably get results in just a day or two; doesnt take that long to process in my experience.

Yea you're all right, the doctor messed up, good thing theres still enough time to do it.

Randomgirl
May 30th, 2014, 14:32
Glad it worked out!!!

Masterblaster
June 2nd, 2014, 03:07
Anyone know what we're supposed to write on the visa application form under the guarantor section? Is it just our placement city and/or prefecture, or do we need detailed info that's mailed by our BoE?

nostos
June 2nd, 2014, 03:55
My instructions say this: "Refer to your contract. Use the head of the C.O. or your supervisor. If no contract yet, write (your prefecture/City) Board ofEducation"

hedgehoglove
June 4th, 2014, 07:47
Hey shortlisters, just wondering if you guys have a deadline to accept/reject your placements!!?

Masterblaster
June 4th, 2014, 08:32
Calgary consulate placements were sent out on May 16th and just said to reply as soon as possible.

nostos
June 4th, 2014, 21:56
Yeah, my placement email just said reply to to the email to accept the placement or whatever...seemed all very informal to me haha. No deadline mentioned either.

Sarenka
June 5th, 2014, 04:13
You guys are filling out visa applications and referring to your contract? I feel left out haha. I'm just sitting and hoping the last batch of paperwork I sent out wasn't lost in the mail. :(

Yarilo
July 12th, 2014, 01:58
Okay, I've got a question in regards to driving. I've been told by my predecessor that I'll definitely have to drive to at least one of my schools. While that's all well and good and I'm prepared for it, I'm wondering about driving long-term. Say that I want to re-contract and stay another year. You need your driver's history to get a Japanese license, yeah? Does anyone happen to know where I can get the driver's history translated - the True Copy Translation, I think it's called. Perhaps my Google-savvy isn't all that great, but when I tried to look it up, it gave me links to getting the driver's history from a home country translated to ENGLISH. I need quite the opposite.

So... anyone? Thank you!

Gizmotech
July 12th, 2014, 06:48
You won't need your history translated unless something is fucked up with your license dates. Look at the caa japan website as they are responsible for license translation in japan.

therealwindycity
July 13th, 2014, 12:44
I just had to get a translation of the license itself, not of the history, so as long as you bring your home country license with you it should be fine. (Unless you've renewed within the last 3 months) I got mine done at the local JAF.

webstaa
July 14th, 2014, 08:32
Here's the relevant link. (http://www.jaf.or.jp/inter/translation/index_e.htm) You only need the history if you JUST got your license renewed in the last 6 months.

Kdes23
July 14th, 2014, 12:52
Okay, I've got a question in regards to driving. I've been told by my predecessor that I'll definitely have to drive to at least one of my schools. While that's all well and good and I'm prepared for it, I'm wondering about driving long-term. Say that I want to re-contract and stay another year. You need your driver's history to get a Japanese license, yeah? Does anyone happen to know where I can get the driver's history translated - the True Copy Translation, I think it's called. Perhaps my Google-savvy isn't all that great, but when I tried to look it up, it gave me links to getting the driver's history from a home country translated to ENGLISH. I need quite the opposite.

So... anyone? Thank you!

It really varies from prefecture to prefecture. I know for us, one of the ALT's wanting to convert his license over needed a letter or document that was government issued (other than his license) that proved that he was able to drive. It was really silly, and to be honest, it probably depends on whether or not you get an idiot behind the desk.

I think if you have your CAA issued IDP however, it acts as stamped proof and documentation of your ability to drive. It also has Japanese written into it.

Yarilo
July 15th, 2014, 10:40
Thanks everyone! My license just got renewed about a month ago, but I guess by the time I apply for a Japanese license, it'll be fine. Unless, yes, there's "an idiot behind the desk." Going to get my IDP tomorrow.

Gizmotech
July 15th, 2014, 11:45
Uhh, the time frame is prior to coming to japan, not having the license.

So I renewed my license 2 months before coming to Japan. When I had to get my Japanese license transfer they required my drivers history to prove that I had had the license for more than 3 months prior to coming here.

jacklostinred
July 15th, 2014, 21:45
Thanks everyone! My license just got renewed about a month ago, but I guess by the time I apply for a Japanese license, it'll be fine. Unless, yes, there's "an idiot behind the desk." Going to get my IDP tomorrow.

Not going to cut it. You need to prove that you had a license 3 months before coming to Japan. They need this because people can easily leave Japan get a license and come back and try and get a Japanese license. The reason they want 3 months is to show you have history of driving rather than trying to avoid the Japanese driving course.

Go and get a letter stating when you first received your license not the last issue date.

Yarilo
July 16th, 2014, 04:37
Aah. I'll get on that, then, thanks!

webstaa
July 16th, 2014, 08:59

Get the copy of your driver's history. You will face tight-asses at the license center in Japan. If your license is less than 6 months old before the date you COME INTO Japan, they'll crawl up your ass about if your license is brand new or not - and then hem and haw about your driver's history and how you shouldn't really be driving on the IDP in Japan etc. Especially if the license center is in a more urban part of the country.

Yarilo
July 16th, 2014, 11:13
Yeah, I ordered my history today. Should come in the mail juuuuuuust by the time I leave.

johnny
July 16th, 2014, 12:10
Worst case scenario, you can have a family member mail it to you. With the fastest service available, I don't think it takes more than a couple of days.

jacklostinred
July 17th, 2014, 13:15
Yeah, I ordered my history today. Should come in the mail juuuuuuust by the time I leave.

Which province are you from? In Alberta your Drivers History only lists the issue date of your license as the most recent one they gave you. It is worth it to make some calls to make sure it is on the paperwork.

Yarilo
July 18th, 2014, 13:23
Which province are you from? In Alberta your Drivers History only lists the issue date of your license as the most recent one they gave you. It is worth it to make some calls to make sure it is on the paperwork.

I'm from Ontario. According to the information offered by ServiceOntario, the history offers all any and all dates pertaining to license renewals, acquisition, etc.

jacklostinred
July 18th, 2014, 13:42
Sounds like you are good to go.

tobio
July 29th, 2014, 16:44
Might be a bit silly to reply to this thread so early but applying for JET this upcoming October/November. I lived in Japan for almost a year on an exchange and absolutely loved it so I'm hoping I'm accepted more than anything in the world. It's honestly been my plan since entering university. So just stopping in to say hello!