PDA

View Full Version : Passport

Minty
October 13th, 2013, 23:07
Hi, new here thought I'd sign up because I got a few questions and thought it would be nice to get to know potential neighbours.

Anyway, my question is to do with my passport or lack of passport. I am in the process of applying for one however I feel as if it may not arrive in time for the deadline. I've seen on the JET website to contact the Japan Embassy about this but still waiting on a reply. Does anyone know if I need this to complete the application forum? or is it only required when you get chosen?

Thanks, I look forward to speak to you.

Aurano
October 14th, 2013, 00:07
There is an option were you can pay extra to receive your passport within the space of a week or two. Not sure if they still do it though.

Minty
October 14th, 2013, 00:16
I've looked at that but I don't think you can do it for your first passport.

Aurano
October 14th, 2013, 00:20
I'm pretty sure on average a new passport (even your first) comes within 4 weeks of you applying for it. If you have already applied for it, chances are it will arrive before the application deadline. You will just have to be Jonny on the spot with making sure you get the application completed and sent!

Don't over worry! Things have a way of sorting themselves out... ;)

Minty
October 14th, 2013, 00:29
Ok thanks.

wicket
October 19th, 2013, 22:20
you don't have to have a passport for your application. you need to have one by the time you're accepted into the programme [around april] because you'll need to hand it in so they can organise visas etc.

Aurano
October 19th, 2013, 22:53
I thought that maybe there was another way to prove your nationality but it seems a passport is paramount for the application process.

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/application/appnationality.html)

Minty
October 19th, 2013, 23:36
I should be fine now. I have an interview on Thursday and then it should take 7 to 10 days to get it. I guess at this time of the year people aren't planning on buying/renewing a passport. It could also be because I did the check and send at the post office which is meant to speed up the process.

MinisterDM
October 23rd, 2013, 07:35
I got mine last year for another trip in about two weeks. (First passport and selected the express option.) So, your mileage may vary on how long it takes to get it.