PDA

View Full Version : FBI Criminal History Summary/Certificate of Health

Kikaha2
October 22nd, 2013, 13:11
Just want to make sure...
I don't have a criminal record, and I am in good health and not seeking early departure.
Do I need to submit these forms?

dialogue
October 22nd, 2013, 13:50
Yes.

But you can hold off until you know you have an interview/placement. The consulate will keep you informed.

Kikaha2
October 22nd, 2013, 13:57
Yes.

But you can hold off until you know you have an interview/placement. The consulate will keep you informed.

Ok thanks

moshimoshi
October 23rd, 2013, 03:01
Annoyed that the FBI isn't accepting requests grrrrrr

MinisterDM
October 23rd, 2013, 05:43
Even now? Since the shutdown is over?

moshimoshi
October 23rd, 2013, 06:32
The website still says this "Note: Due to upcoming changes in processing, effective October 12, 2013, the FBI will no longer be accepting return self-addressed stamped envelopes with Departmental Order requests. Envelopes received postmarked after this date will be destroyed. Thank you for your patience as we try to streamline our processes to improve our service to you."

MinisterDM
October 23rd, 2013, 07:19
Yeah, all that means is that when you send in 1) your application for background summary. 2) your fingerprint card. 3) your check (cashier/money order/credit card info) for $18. You will NOT send a SASE as well. They will send the confirmation back to you through an envelope of their own. Go ahead and send all the proper stuff in. That's what I'm doing.

moshimoshi
October 23rd, 2013, 09:32
Oh really? You've sent yours?

MinisterDM
October 23rd, 2013, 10:37
Not quite yet. Got the app and the fingerprint card. I have the cashier's check but I made it out to the wrong people so gotta get down to the bank and redo it. Then I am sending mine off.

dialogue
October 23rd, 2013, 14:07
If you do your FBI paperwork too early, you may have to do it again, as it will no longer be considered recent/valid.

Again, follow the directions of your consulate. They will tell you when to send off paperwork.

moshimoshi
October 23rd, 2013, 21:38
even if you're applying for early departure?

dialogue
October 24th, 2013, 07:37
From the JET website (bold emphasis is mine):

5) *FBI Criminal History Summary*
ONLY if applicable (1 original and 2 copies):
You must submit a Criminal History Background Check if:

you have ever been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic offense (ie. speeding or parking ticket), including a juvenile offense. Failure to disclose information related to your criminal history that is found later in the process may result in disqualification. Please note that all successful candidates will be requested to submit an FBI background check after the results are announced. If your record has been cleared, you must still submit the FBI Criminal History Summary to prove this.

or

you indicate on the application (Question 2c. Early Departure) that they would like to be considered for placement in Japan in April 2014, or between April and July 2014.

moshimoshi
October 24th, 2013, 22:18
that bold emphasis was extremely helpful.

moshimoshi
November 8th, 2013, 22:30
Has anyone gotten their FBI criminal history summary back yet?!

dstin
November 9th, 2013, 08:26
I was curious, does JET/Japanese immigration accept FBI background checks obtained through official channelers?

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2013, 08:44
I was curious, does JET/Japanese immigration accept FBI background checks obtained through official channelers?

3080?

par92186
November 27th, 2013, 14:57
I recently just received my FBI-BGC. I had mailed it right around the time of the Government Shutdown and it was processed the second week of November and mailed back to me around 2 days ago. I am not applying for Early Departure though. I just wanted to get this taken care of ASAP.

Gizmotech
November 27th, 2013, 16:09
Will you be within the window should you be accepted? I seem to remember it can't be more than X months old if you do end up being accepted to the program. You should contact your coordinator and make sure.

therealwindycity
November 27th, 2013, 16:11
The US JET website says it won't be accepted if it's from before August 2013, so in this case it should be fine.

par92186
November 28th, 2013, 08:38
The US JET website says it won't be accepted if it's from before August 2013, so in this case it should be fine.

I had also checked with the US Jet website as well and saw the August 2013 cut-off. I did, however, contact the Embassy to be 100% sure. I can't imagine they'd say no, especially since it specifies August as the earliest cut-off on the website. This waiting period for an interview is gonna be brutal...

epikzwei
February 1st, 2014, 13:28
How early do you guys recommend submitting the request for the FBI check?

And a few questions about the Certificate of Health, which I'm assuming is exactly the same as the one ED applicants had to submit:
What gets written in for the question about eyesight? Something like 20/20 or 0.00? (Am I going to have to get an updated prescription? Had my last eye exam about 5 years ago...) Or are a general check-up visit and urinalysis the only things that we'll need?
Also, the website says "It must be completed and signed by a licensed physician with knowledge of your medical history" but any old (new) MD I find will do, right? There's nothing at all significant in my history anyway and the only physician with my records is probably my pediatrician whom I haven't seen in 5 or so years.

Edit: one more thing - how many photos do you have to submit for the visa? My current plan is just to get a set of 4 for the interview, passport, and visa.

Kdes23
February 3rd, 2014, 08:34
How early do you guys recommend submitting the request for the FBI check?

And a few questions about the Certificate of Health, which I'm assuming is exactly the same as the one ED applicants had to submit:
What gets written in for the question about eyesight? Something like 20/20 or 0.00? (Am I going to have to get an updated prescription? Had my last eye exam about 5 years ago...) Or are a general check-up visit and urinalysis the only things that we'll need?
Also, the website says "It must be completed and signed by a licensed physician with knowledge of your medical history" but any old (new) MD I find will do, right? There's nothing at all significant in my history anyway and the only physician with my records is probably my pediatrician whom I haven't seen in 5 or so years.

Edit: one more thing - how many photos do you have to submit for the visa? My current plan is just to get a set of 4 for the interview, passport, and visa.

"How early do you guys recommend submitting the request for the FBI check?"

Just as long as you hand it in by the deadline you'll be fine. Your consulate or embassy will notify you of the deadlines. If in the (very) odd and inconvenient instance that they don't tell you the deadlines, call them.

"What get's written in the question about eyesight"

If I remember correctly, it's 20/20, 18/20, etc.

"...a general check-up visit and urinalysis the only things that we need?"

You typically get the eye test with the check-up (at least I did). JET also asks that you get a urinalysis and a tuberculosis test. The urinalysis is usually pretty quick, but the tuberculosis test can take up to 2 or 3 weeks- so get it soon. Every year there are applicant who don't hand these documents in on time and get disqualified.

"It must be completed and signed by a licensed physician with knowledge of your medical history"

Any doctor will do.

"how many photos do you have to submit for the visa?"

I think in the end you'll need a total of 3 (iirc).

epikzwei
February 5th, 2014, 18:19
Thanks for your answers! I vaguely remember someone recommending getting the FBI check done before you even know if you're shortlisted, as it can take a while. I'd always gotten a TB test at my annual visits to my pediatrician, so I thought that was included in a primary care visit, but I guess that may not be the case. :P Things to consider when I finally buy health insurance....

kbui
February 9th, 2014, 04:54
When do we have to send it in? And where do we send it in?

nostos
February 9th, 2014, 05:58
Yeah, I would suggest getting an early start, because getting the paperwork can take a month or so. I planned on applying for early departure, but I waited too long and now I think I'll end up being moved to August departure (dumb on my part, but at the same time the website said I had an extra week and then they moved the date up).