PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

DoodieBomb
October 23rd, 2013, 03:10
Hello:

I am a new member to this forum, and I would like to introduce myself. I am a 28 y/o American in the Midwest, and this is my first time applying to JET. I have honest to goodness teaching experience, and I look forward to learning more about Japan and the JET program! I hope to get to know all of you!

MinisterDM
October 23rd, 2013, 05:47
Hey guys, I just registered today. I am hoping to stop lurking and actually contribute to this community. This is my first time applying to Jet. I graduate college in December and am really looking forward to possibly going to Japan! Nice to meet y'all!

dstin
October 23rd, 2013, 12:44
I'll bite.

Hello, the name's Dustin. I was born down on the bayou and raised in mostly small towns. Graduated back in '11 with a major in International Studies and Polisci/Asian studies minors. Right now I'm teaching in a rural school in South Korea. I hope to see you all in the future.

Valkerion
October 24th, 2013, 06:44
Hiya

25/M living in coastal Georgia, smallish city. First time applying to JET since I am still a Senior in my university. Hope to graduate this Spring and be done with school in time enough for JET if I do get accepted. No teaching experience, only real job I've had is at Best Buy lol. Love Japan and its culture, really see this as an opportunity to get my feet wet job wise, visit a place I always wanted to go and get more than just the tourist trap experience. Also I'm fully obsessed with Japanese media, NOT ANIME. but all the other stuff, music, TV, manzai, blah blah blah.

Still trying to get up the confidence to apply and I've gotten recent support here and oddly enough from one of my professors today, so its all about letting the parents know and filling stuff out at this point lol.

Gizmotech
October 24th, 2013, 17:01
Hi!

My name is gizmo and I'm an alcoholic
Wait wrong forum...
My name is gizmo and I'm a jet
Noooo still haven't changed it...
Hello my name is gizmo and I live in Japan
Still talking about booze....
Got it!
Hi my name is gizmo.

DAMNIT! I give up....

uthinkimlost?
October 24th, 2013, 19:04
Hi!
I'm an alcoholic.

Where IS mothy?

gengo398
October 25th, 2013, 01:43
Hello all I am a first time applicant to the JET program this year and I'm from Texas. Please don't hold it against me.

Shincantsen
October 25th, 2013, 01:47
Hi guys.

I was a JET a few years ago and used to frequent this forum. I thought I'd escaped, but this shit just puuuuulls you right back in.

I may or may not have helped process JET applications in the past. I'd like to help people who are applying not to make dumb mistakes.

moshimoshi
October 25th, 2013, 03:01
ooooh pick me! pick me!

dstin
October 25th, 2013, 07:02
Wow, there are a lot of southerners here. Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas...

Shincantsen, what do you consider to be the most common dumb mistakes from your quantum experience with the JET application process?

Shincantsen
October 25th, 2013, 07:09
Wow, there are a lot of southerners here. Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas...

Shincantsen, what do you consider to be the most common dumb mistakes from your quantum experience with the JET application process?

Get all your damn transcripts. Even if you think they will never find out that you went to community college that one time for one semester, they will. And they will DQ you.

moshimoshi
October 25th, 2013, 08:38
Wow good to know

Ini
October 25th, 2013, 08:42
good to know that when they ask for transcripts you are supposed to include transcripts? what other advice do you need?
When it says "Name" you are supposed to write your full name. Even if you think they wont find out that your name isnt Goku Narutopiece they will and they will DQ you.

moshimoshi
October 25th, 2013, 08:58
Yes- good to know because sometimes people take college classes in high school or classes for fun after University and might think that they are irrelevant. One might think, university transcripts would be sufficient.

Gizmotech
October 25th, 2013, 10:59
Uhh....

I'm pretty sure I marked on my application that I went to community college, like 8 years before JET, and I never gave them the transcripts for it. Just my university ones.

Though I am Canadian, so our process might be different.

Either way,

Hi I'm gizmo, and I'm an alcoholic.

MoMcBuff
October 25th, 2013, 17:14
I went took 12 credits at a community college and those show up on my University transcript. Do you think I would still need a seperate one from the CC?

word
October 25th, 2013, 18:52
Yes.

Shincantsen
October 25th, 2013, 22:41
Better safe than sorry.

wicket
October 25th, 2013, 22:53
Hi, I'm Wicket and I did JET back in the day when there weren't no fancy inter webs... then again after they invented computers smaller than a bedroom.
I'm Australian and like walks on the beach and ... oh wait, what were you talking about? Pass my Zimmer frame.

imightbetheone
October 26th, 2013, 12:10
I'm a 30 y/o guy from the Midwestern US applying to JET for the first time. I have traveled a ton and I have teaching experience, but my best response to why I want to go to Japan is "I think it would be cool." Less than convincing if you ask me. May have to work on that if I get to the interview stage.

Shincantsen, what are some other things you've seen that derail otherwise solid applications?

uthinkimlost?
October 26th, 2013, 12:58
I'm a 30 y/o guy from the Midwestern US applying to JET for the first time. I have traveled a ton and I have teaching experience, but my best response to why I want to go to Japan is "I think it would be cool." Less than convincing if you ask me. May have to work on that if I get to the interview stage.

Shincantsen, what are some other things you've seen that derail otherwise solid applications?

The urge to try new things and see new places is a plus. Spin it well and it will serve you well.

coop52
October 26th, 2013, 17:03

Not Shuncantsen, but going on and on about games/manga/anime tends to be a turnoff. Lots of weeaboos still manage to get in, though.

Shincantsen
October 27th, 2013, 02:01
I'm not going to get too specific, but just make sure at least one of the signatures on your app is pen and paper, that your proof of grad is signed by the right person (if you don't have a diploma) and make sure your reference writer actually likes you.

About a fourth of all applications are disqualified because of stuff like this, so it's worth it to double and triple and quadruple check your application against the guidelines.

Sarenka
October 28th, 2013, 05:30
Get all your damn transcripts. Even if you think they will never find out that you went to community college that one time for one semester, they will. And they will DQ you.

I have 6 transfer credits (two classes) from high school that show up on my university transcript. Does that warrant a high school transcript or should it just be left alone? They don't effect my CGPA at all.

Thanks. :3

moonbeam
October 29th, 2013, 05:03
Hey guys. I'm a long time lurker but I figured I should probably stop so here I am. This is my first year applying and I'm really excited to see what happens!

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 06:27
Hello all.
I just turned 28 and I've been on JET before. Long time poster on this forum and subject to major mood swings and a compulsion to drop everything and move to another country/start a new job/university course in a completely unrelated field every few years.

Together let's english learning!

wicket
October 30th, 2013, 22:25
tedcase, you're going for another bite at the cherry? in that case in your SoP talk about unfinished business, such as presenting at Tokyo orientation blah blah blah and helping out new arrivals with culture shock blah blah blah and having a better understanding of the demands of the job yadda yadda. it worked for me second time around.

tedcase
October 30th, 2013, 23:35
Cheers Wix,
Yeah, im applying, dunno if Ill go through with it or not, I have a decent job right now i would be an idiot to throw away, but with such a long application process I figured I could apply now as insurance. Who knows how ill feel by the time the interviews come around. (assuming i even get that far).

TweedPawn
October 31st, 2013, 04:50
Registered ages ago. Chickened out. GONNA DO IT THIS TIME FOR REAL.

moshimoshi
October 31st, 2013, 04:53
Sarenka- I just saw this... "If you took classes at a college or university as a high school student, please make a note of this on the transcript by attaching a sticky note. DO NOT write on the transcript itself."

I don't think you are supposed to send high school transcripts.

TweedPawn
October 31st, 2013, 04:59
Sarenka- I just saw this... "If you took classes at a college or university as a high school student, please make a note of this on the transcript by attaching a sticky note. DO NOT write on the transcript itself."

I don't think you are supposed to send high school transcripts.

I know some high school students take college classes before going to Uni. I think it is referring to this.

Shiro_Kuma
October 31st, 2013, 05:03
Hello all! I'm applying for JET again this year from the UK. Nice to meet all of you :redface: Hopefully I can get a bit more progress than last time!

PaddyPakku
October 31st, 2013, 08:27
Hello all! I'm applying for JET again this year from the UK. Nice to meet all of you :redface: Hopefully I can get a bit more progress than last time!
Again? May I ask what happened last time? Any advice you think you could give the rest of us?

Shiro_Kuma
October 31st, 2013, 19:13
Again? May I ask what happened last time? Any advice you think you could give the rest of us?

Last year my application was rushed, I had just finished my Masters degree and scrambled to get things so I wasn't lucky enough to go past the first round. But I learnt from my mistakes and am fully prepared this year.

The only Advice I can impart is that triple, or even quadruple check your personal statement for spelling errors, punctuation and grammatical mistakes. Also, I was told to avoid referring to anime and manga. I know it's how some of us got interested in Japan but it really doesn't reflect well with the interviewers (unless in cases your degree was something related to that field, try and only mention it in passing).

Secondly, make sure your transcripts are the right ones! It has to be signed by the University you attend(ed) with their official letterhead.

Third, please get the references set out in the format asked. Make sure whoever is your reference can elaborate on your skills, work ethic, hobbies etc.!

Finally, if possible get learning some basic Japanese. Doesn't matter if you choose to teach yourself or join classes, nailing down a few basic phrases, Hiragana and Katakana can really help. It'll show motivation and seriousness on your part.

Again, everyone is different so please take this advice with a pinch of salt. I can only tell you what mistakes I did and hopefully help you all avoid it. Majority of this is common sense really :)

Evirustheslayer
October 31st, 2013, 21:40
Hello everyone I found this forum after the Aspiring Jets section of Jet Programme.org closed down. So hello my name Daniel and I live in the US and I'm currently thinking about applying for the JEt Program (next year though not this year).

Sarenka
November 1st, 2013, 02:40
I know some high school students take college classes before going to Uni. I think it is referring to this.

I was in The International Baccalaureate (IB) in high school, and because of the level of the classes I was awarded 6 transfer credits towards university. It's kind of a weird situation, since they aren't technically credits from another college/university. I think I'll have to e-mail them and ask just to make sure.

Thanks guys! :)

CrouchingMouse
November 1st, 2013, 03:04
I'm kind of a bandwagon-jumper so I guess I'll go ahead and post here. I'm CrouchingMouse (or just Mouse if you're lazy). I'm from Georgia, finally graduated this year at 25 and I'm excited to finally apply for JET. I spent several months in Japan last fall/winter doing study abroad and I am eager to return as something besides a student.

moshimoshi
November 1st, 2013, 04:05
sweet. what part of japan were you in?

CrouchingMouse
November 1st, 2013, 04:14
I was living in Takarazuka and went to school in Nishinomiya. Both quite close to Osaka. I was initially nervous about going to the Kansai area since I thought I wouldn't understand the dialect, but the people there were extremely friendly and wonderful and it's a lovely area of Japan. I'll probably be putting it as a placement request on my application - it's a long shot but hey.

wicket
November 1st, 2013, 19:14
Good luck, tedcase. No-one has ever called me "Wix" before *sniff*
See if you can get permission for a one year sabbatical from your current job; that's what I did. Of course, it turned into two years, then three, then four, then "Sorry I ain't never coming back!"

tedcase
November 1st, 2013, 21:15
Unfortunately, The British Army doesn't do Sabbaticals and the promotion timeline for Junior officers is pretty rigid, so taking a year off, even if it were possible would mean the diffrence between being a Lieutenat and a Captain and I'm already a few years older than most of my seniors.

zombiekelly
November 1st, 2013, 21:32
Hi, I'm not a JET. I'm a dispatch ALT, aka a drone. So if you get rejected but are desperate to get to Japan, remember that you can always do what I did- same job for much less pay.

tedcase
November 1st, 2013, 22:15
if you get rejected but are desperate to get to Japan, remember that you can always do what I did- same job for much less pay.

I hear that there are a few construction companies in Osaka that dont look too closely at your immigration status. Give Tojo "stubby fingers" Tanaka a call. He will hook you up.

Moso
November 2nd, 2013, 00:26
Hey everyone, I'm a first time JET applicant from the UK going for a CIR position! :D

moshimoshi
November 3rd, 2013, 01:10
Hey emanate, did the interview go badly last time? Doing anything different this time around? Major props for going through the process again! Good luck!

Mardeuce
November 3rd, 2013, 02:16
Heys all, first time applying for JET. Was going to a couple years back but decided to do my postgraduate studies first. I'm from Jamaica and hoping first time will be the charm *says that despite extreme worrying and paranoia levels* <.<
Wishing everyone who is applying for the 2014 stream all the best!

Aurano
November 3rd, 2013, 22:01
Why does Fight Club spring to mind when I read this thread.

His name was Robert Paulson.....

grub
November 4th, 2013, 11:06
I come from Melbourne, Australia and I'll be (hopefully) graduating at the end of the year with the BA in Japanese/Asian Studies. Teaching experience wise, I did an internship with a teaching assistant role and did a few language exchange things during uni. I also recently joined a volunteer homework help club.

I'm applying for JET for the first time and trying to collate everything as soon as possible. That saying, I haven't started on my SOP yet as I have a couple of essays to get out of the way first.

Looking forward to hear from the rest of you!

Mardeuce
November 4th, 2013, 11:42
Welcome grub! All the best to you as well with your application.
I would definitely suggest that you start working on your SoP ASAP. It can be the most time consuming part of the application in my opinion. Then again, you might be the type who is able to write these things quite well and not take much time. In which case you may not be worried at all haha.
I'm a nervous paranoid wreck when it comes to things like this so I end up editing it many times over xD.

afroguy10
November 5th, 2013, 10:14
Hi everyone, first time applicant here.

I live in Falkirk, Scotland, a medium sized town in between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I recently graduated this summer with a BSc(Hons) in Audio Technology with Multimedia. Not really had much teaching experience apart from teaching a friend a few songs on guitar for music exams back in High School heh.

I also work part time for an energy company in the UK selling utilities over the phone and have done for over 3 years now so I've spoken to everyone imaginable, from people who speak English as a first language all the way to those who speak very little.

I just today received both of my references through the mail and I've also been working on my SoP for the past few days and feel I'm making good headway, here's hoping I'll have it done in a week or so haha.

Good luck to everyone else applying this year!

HorseFeathers
November 5th, 2013, 14:04
Hey everyone.

I'm a 27 year old first year applicant. I'm an English Major with a career studies certificate in American Sign Language. I had actually considered applying to JET back in '09 but was scared away by the thought of attempting to teach a classroom of children. I spent the last several years pursuing a career in interpreting for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. But when switching day jobs from waitressing to substitute teaching- I discovered that I really loved teaching in a classroom. And that I was pretty good at it!

I feel like I have a bit of an unusual background. It came from not really being sure what I wanted to do with my life. I loved different cultures and languages but had no idea how I could travel the world. A friend of mine returned after spending two years in Japan via working as an ALT for Interac. He recommended that I teach overseas, and that's about how I ended up here.

My JET application is almost all finished. I'll be printing out the final copy of my SOP tomorrow and hopefully getting the whole thing in the mail soon.

And you know, guys? I know how competitive this program is. I'll be honored if I reach the interview stage, but even if I don't get the job- that's okay. My goal is to teach in Japan but even if I have to apply in 2015 as well or go through a different company- it's not the end of the world. I'm pretty optimistic that no matter what happens, it will all work out eventually. :)

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

TweedPawn
November 6th, 2013, 01:20
I suppose I should have a better introduction of myself.

I was originally registered on this site as Caturday. I finally graduated from uni last year, but I chickened out of applying for JET. I then saw how much fun my friend was having and I'm going to go for it this year! I love to volunteer and most of my experience is related to animal rescue work and educating others about animal welfare and care. I have hosted demonstrations for children before using live animals as my "co-teacher".
I also work as a Freelancer in the digital arts and film industry! I tutored and coached peers on fundamentals of animation, and I have provided consultations for 3d printing and modeling. I never noticed the smaller ways I've provided teaching/coaching experience.

Aurano
November 6th, 2013, 01:44
And you know, guys? I know how competitive this program is. I'll be honored if I reach the interview stage, but even if I don't get the job- that's okay. My goal is to teach in Japan but even if I have to apply in 2015 as well or go through a different company- it's not the end of the world. I'm pretty optimistic that no matter what happens, it will all work out eventually. :)

I concur doctor! I would be more than happy just to receive that interview letter. Of course, making it on to the programme would be pretty damn awesome as well!

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 04:58
I also work as a Freelancer in the digital arts and film industry! I tutored and coached peers on fundamentals of animation, and I have provided consultations for 3d printing and modeling. I never noticed the smaller ways I've provided teaching/coaching experience.

Hey awesome! My sister is a freelance artist herself. And I have two very good friends of mine working in the video game industry as modelers and animators. It's awesome to see some artists applying for JET as well. Never underestimate the value of good art skills when working with children. I often have teachers complementing me on my simplistic little art doodles I add to the wipe boards (to add some color to the kid's instruction lists) and it's a great way to get kids to warm up to you. If you get asked to model a lesson during your interview, utilize some of that art skill if you can. :D

I wish you the best of luck!

I concur doctor! I would be more than happy just to receive that interview letter. Of course, making it on to the programme would be pretty damn awesome as well!

But of course!

grub
November 7th, 2013, 11:33
I would definitely suggest that you start working on your SoP ASAP.

Haha I would if I could! I have a few essays to write before I can focus on my SoP. I've been thinking about it a lot though. How is your application coming along?

Aethel
November 8th, 2013, 08:17
Hi everyone! Like many, I've been lurking for a long time. After creeping around for so long, I feel a little weird about actually posting here. But now that I'm finally applying, I guess the time has come.

I'm 22, in the Midwest, and in my final year of college set to graduate in May. I'm a double major in Asian Studies and Art History, with a minor in museum studies. Right now I'm trying to spin my experiences volunteering at museums and curating exhibits into "informal teaching" experience, since I have absolutely no formal classroom training. I have most of my application together. I'm just waiting on my letters of rec and one transcript to come in the mail, and I keep rewriting my SOP.

It's nice to meet you all! Good luck everyone!

chwii
November 9th, 2013, 06:15
Hello! I thought I had at least posted a few times on this board before now, but I must have been thinking of the official forums...

I'm from North Carolina, 22, and a first-time applicant who's about to graduate with a journalism/graphic design degree and Japanese minor. I studied abroad in Nagoya for two semesters and I volunteer as a camp counselor in the summer, so I think JET seems like a great fit for me. I'm just about done with the application, although I probably need to get some feedback on my SOP. Nice to meet everyone!

jmejia019
November 11th, 2013, 03:56
Hello all! I'm a 25 y/o from Virginia. I graduated from college in 2011 with a degree in History and International Studies and have since been working for an international shipping company. I was originally introduced to JET in college while I took Japanese language but was unable to apply in previous years due to family obligations. I am applying for the first time this year and hope to become a contributing member of this forum (on which I've been lurking since for most of the year). Glad to meet you all.

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 06:05
Hello all! I'm a 25 y/o from Virginia. I graduated from college in 2011 with a degree in History and International Studies and have since been working for an international shipping company. I was originally introduced to JET in college while I took Japanese language but was unable to apply in previous years due to family obligations. I am applying for the first time this year and hope to become a contributing member of this forum (on which I've been lurking since for most of the year). Glad to meet you all.

Hey. Another Virginian! You live in Northern or Southern Virginia? I'm a Northern Virginian myself. Nice to meet you!

jmejia019
November 11th, 2013, 07:10
Hey. Another Virginian! You live in Northern or Southern Virginia? I'm a Northern Virginian myself. Nice to meet you!

Hi! I am in Hampton Roads. Nice to meet you as well!

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 12:52
Hi! I am in Hampton Roads. Nice to meet you as well!

Southeast Virginia. Awesome! Yeah I live next to Washington DC. I actually could hand deliver my application if I wanted to. :) Which I might be tempted to do if I don't get my application in soon.

jmejia019
November 11th, 2013, 16:20
Haha yea I told myself that if need be I can make the drive on the deadline date and turn it in in person. I'm not gonna let it get that far tho!

Jedirust
November 11th, 2013, 22:55
Hi everyone,
Since the official forums is off limits these days, I thought I would join here. I'm 29 from Georgia. I have my Masters degree in education and have worked as a teacher for 6 years. Before that traveled a bit working for an importer managing the parts warehouse and sourcing products from China, Vietnam, Philippines, etc. I've applied before and was accepted, but I had to decline for various reasons. Alas, I'm trying again.

coop52
November 12th, 2013, 09:00
Holy crap, there's a lot of southerners this year.

HorseFeathers
November 12th, 2013, 11:10
eek an actual teacher. best of luck to you, jedirust! :D

jmejia019
November 13th, 2013, 08:46
Holy crap, there's a lot of southerners this year.

haha yea dere is! nowadays we's got da interwebs 'cross da en-tire south ('cept alerbama....they hicks o'er dere....)

coop52
November 13th, 2013, 13:32
Have fun explaining the concept of gunracks to your students if you get here.

jmejia019
November 13th, 2013, 16:09
Haha!

"why would you ever need a rack for a gun?"

"ooohh Sato-kun....its not for a gun.....its for your guns.​ I know you dont have that in japanese, but we call it the plural. thats our lesson today."

Aurano
November 13th, 2013, 18:52
:lol: