PDA

View Full Version : 2014 U.S. Application Questions

moshimoshi
October 29th, 2013, 07:22
Any suggestions on successfully answering this question?

28. Long Term Plans

Explain in a few sentences the proposed direction of your current or future profession and its relationship to the JET Program.

dialogue
October 29th, 2013, 09:18
internationalization

Gizmotech
October 29th, 2013, 09:19
Honesty and truth.

What are you doing after JET and how does JET connect to that goal.

dstin
October 29th, 2013, 10:02
Seconding Gizmo,

The successful answer is the honest answer unless the honest answer involved cultivating a drug trade in east Asia through contacts you make while on JET. If that's what you're doing, then I recommend keeping your trap shut.

moshimoshi
October 30th, 2013, 01:50
lol If only I knew what I wanted to do after JET. [If I even get in.] Working somewhere, but where and doing what- only time can tell that one!

therealwindycity
October 30th, 2013, 08:33
Even if it's something kind of idealistic that you're not actually sure would ever work out, it's probably better to write that than not to write anything at all. (Providing that thing isn't completely unrelated to your education/experience)

moshimoshi
October 31st, 2013, 09:23
2a. What diseases, ailments, or injuries have you had in the past five years? Please explain.

this is pretty vague. do they want symptoms?! description of what the disease is?!:confused: grrr

Wasabi
October 31st, 2013, 09:44
I'm pretty sure you don't have to go too in depth, but could say something along the lines of 'I broke my arm due to an accident' or 'I developed asthma/allergies to seafood/etc.' If you have a complex medical history or any ongoing condition you need to have your doctor fill out the physician's form so this could also possibly be a way for them to weed out those who didn't get one but needed one.

moshimoshi
October 31st, 2013, 09:48
thanks, wasabi! That's why I ask, I have a complex medical history.

moshimoshi
October 31st, 2013, 22:47
spelling error spotted on the app! "familiy"

Merkypie
October 31st, 2013, 23:34
As long as you're not derping on the spelling on your application answers, don't worry about whatever the people in DC did.

therealwindycity
November 3rd, 2013, 10:05
If it seems like it will require ongoing medical supervision and/or potentially affect your job I would mention it. If the effects are minimal you're probably fine since it's past the cutoff

coop52
November 3rd, 2013, 11:14
I'd mention it so you'd get a chair at school assemblies instead of being made to stand/sit on the cold floor. Word it as a knee injury that affects kneeling or something so they know you can still get around fine.

epikzwei
November 4th, 2013, 07:59
Hello, all! Newb and first-time applicant here. Glad I found this forum after the unfortunate death of the official Current Applicants forum.

Will this be the official thread to discuss the US app? (: Well, I'm gonna throw my questions out there; hopefully someone will be able to help me out and offer some insight/opinions, or maybe I'll resort to asking the embassy.

Teaching Experience:
I had a small job in English conversation classes where I would sit in a small group with students and usually go through a list of questions - all sorts of topics from hobbies to family to jobs to discrimination (for the advanced classes :P). Though this took place in classrooms, I didn't do any actual teaching so would I be correct in putting this in 25b. Other Teaching or Tutoring?

TEFL Certification:
I assume I do have to list all the courses I took? I took a total of 11 courses/seminars - 4 were 1-day seminars. And they only provide 5 spaces....
How does attaching an extra page work? Do I upload it in PDF/doc form for online submission?

Many of the course titles are quite long and don't fit within the character limit. Would you guys recommend that I cut out the not-so-relevant parts of the course name, shorten words, or just copy and paste as much fits?

Also, I don't need to include a transcript for this, right?

Placement Preference:
My first choice is "Block - Place."
Second choice is "Same block."
Third: "Different Block - Place".

Perfectly fine, right?

Mental Health?
I saw my school counselor only twice for some feelings of depression. I think this is kind of minor, so do you guys think it would be okay if I don't mention it at all?

Yeah, I have a lot of questions...but you can't be too careful. :P Thanks!

ETA: All right, two more things:
- AP credits - this is listed under "Transfer Credit" on my transcript. Since these were classes in high school, pretty common, and they're not even listed on the transcript, I don't need to provide any information about them, right?

- At my college, my GEs included this thing called Program of Concentration (UCSD, anyone?). My transcript has a section called "Minor, Area Study, or Program of Concentration" where my two required PofCs are listed. They're not minors so I don't need to list them in the Higher Education part of the app, yeah?

TweedPawn
November 4th, 2013, 08:39
Quick question relating to the health thing. Do I have to list antibiotics that I took this past year for minor infections?

epikzwei
November 4th, 2013, 08:41
Deleting a stupid question. :P

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2013, 09:10
Teaching Experience:
I had a small job in English conversation classes where I would sit in a small group with students and usually go through a list of questions - all sorts of topics from hobbies to family to jobs to discrimination (for the advanced classes :P). Though this took place in classrooms, I didn't do any actual teaching so would I be correct in putting this in 25b. Other Teaching or Tutoring?

Yes, this belongs in teaching/tutoring.

TEFL Certification:
I assume I do have to list all the courses I took? I took a total of 11 courses/seminars - 4 were 1-day seminars. And they only provide 5 spaces....
How does attaching an extra page work? Do I upload it in PDF/doc form for online submission?

Many of the course titles are quite long and don't fit within the character limit. Would you guys recommend that I cut out the not-so-relevant parts of the course name, shorten words, or just copy and paste as much fits?

Also, I don't need to include a transcript for this, right?

AFAIK you do not need to submit transcripts for TEFL certifications, just an indication that you completed a cert. You will need to provide some proof of TEFL certification completion, which will likely be your completion certificate.

Placement Preference:
My first choice is "Block - Place."
Second choice is "Same block."
Third: "Different Block - Place".

Perfectly fine, right?

No, do not list the same place twice

Mental Health?
I saw my school counselor only twice for some feelings of depression. I think this is kind of minor, so do you guys think it would be okay if I don't mention it at all?

Will your doctor know about this and consider it relevant on your medical form? Is this a long term issue? Have you received medication?
If the answer is no to these questions, I wouldn't bother.

ETA: All right, two more things:
- AP credits - this is listed under "Transfer Credit" on my transcript. Since these were classes in high school, pretty common, and they're not even listed on the transcript, I don't need to provide any information about them, right?

- At my college, my GEs included this thing called Program of Concentration (UCSD, anyone?). My transcript has a section called "Minor, Area Study, or Program of Concentration" where my two required PofCs are listed. They're not minors so I don't need to list them in the Higher Education part of the app, yeah?

AFAIK (You should probably email your local coordinator about this one) you don't need to submit any extra information for transfer AP credits if they are indicated on your final transcript.

If your final degree doesn't list Major + Minor, then you do not need to indicate a minor in the higher education area.

epikzwei
November 4th, 2013, 15:59
Hi Gizmo, thanks for your answers!

No, do not list the same place twice
I was wondering if they'd take it to mean "If I don't get this city, I don't want this block", and the app says "Try to choose a different block for your third choice" so I thought it was okay, but all right. ┐(´~`;)┌

Re: seeing a counselor, the physician I saw at my university one time (the only time) knows I met with a counselor, but I assume that's just because they're all within the health cluster on campus. Not gonna worry about it then.

HorseFeathers
November 5th, 2013, 14:21
I actually had a difficult time with the teaching experience section.

I work as a substitute teacher for a large county in the state I live in. That means that I typically bounce from school to school. After a year and a half of working about 30-40 hour work weeks, you'd think I'd have a school I had been to more than just once or twice. But unfortunately, because I wasn't picky with my job assignments my teaching experience section looks a little odd. I listed a wide assortment of schools and subjects that I taught. Starting with the standard elementary school to art and then I threw in my work as a sub IA for the hearing impaired and ASL. I hope the variety is alright. I could have listed at least twenty more schools and subjects that I taught but I thought those were the most interesting and the schools I frequented the most.

I hope I filled in this part of the application correctly. It didn't seem right to simply throw in the name of my school district and the list the crazy spectrum of subjects that I as a sub have taken on. Especially since it seemed to be asking for the name of schools specifically.

Are there any other applying substitute teachers that ran into a similar problem?

Gizmotech
November 5th, 2013, 14:51
I actually had a difficult time with the teaching experience section.
... stuff.....

I hope I filled in this part of the application correctly. It didn't seem right to simply throw in the name of my school district and the list the crazy spectrum of subjects that I as a sub have taken on. Especially since it seemed to be asking for the name of schools specifically.

Are there any other applying substitute teachers that ran into a similar problem?

I wouldn't worry about it. You won't be the first substitute/under employed teacher to join the JET program, and if they question it it will likely be in the interview, and you can answer appropriately. I highly doubt they will think the... breadth... of your teaching employment would count against you negatively. In fact, they might be impressed, given that's sort of how some JHS/ES ALTs actually work.

Page
November 5th, 2013, 15:45
I wouldn't say that you shouldn't do the same block. I asked for a certain city in my pref and then the pref in general as my second preference (especially if the city itself is a designated city and actually a separate JET entity--I don't remember though if those are separated on the form or not). As it turns out that city had become all private save for one ALT so I was able to get into the same prefecture at least. Go for it, imo.

As for the person talking about future prospects and how JET would help you can try BSing an answer about it helping you become more adaptable and flexible to take on the future but you should have something more concrete and specific if they ask you in the interview.

Gizmotech
November 5th, 2013, 15:49
I wouldn't say that you shouldn't do the same block. I asked for a certain city in my pref and then the pref in general as my second preference (especially if the city itself is a designated city and actually a separate JET entity--I don't remember though if those are separated on the form or not). As it turns out that city had become all private save for one ALT so I was able to get into the same prefecture at least. Go for it, imo.

As for the person talking about future prospects and how JET would help you can try BSing an answer about it helping you become more adaptable and flexible to take on the future but you should have something more concrete and specific if they ask you in the interview.

Ahh I totally agree with page on this, I interpreted it as listing the same block twice, not a difference between designated cities and blocks (which afaik are separate)

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 00:47
I wouldn't worry about it. You won't be the first substitute/under employed teacher to join the JET program, and if they question it it will likely be in the interview, and you can answer appropriately. I highly doubt they will think the... breadth... of your teaching employment would count against you negatively. In fact, they might be impressed, given that's sort of how some JHS/ES ALTs actually work.

Awesome. Here's hoping it gets me to the interview stage. :D

Oh and I have another quick question about the US application. When I printed my paper copy out I noticed all the pages said "Applicant Copy" across them. I thought this was because it was the test version. So I submitted my application and then reprinted the application via its instructions. But my application still says "Applicant Copy" across it. Is this normal or did I print out the wrong copy?

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 10:44
It's supposed to say that, IIRC. I mean, the application site they use is buggy as hell. If you feel as if it is in error, just call up the embassy.

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:51
It's supposed to say that, IIRC. I mean, the application site they use is buggy as hell. If you feel as if it is in error, just call up the embassy.

Whew. Good. Cause I'd hate to have to print out all 33 pages again. It was just something that was bothering me as I was putting my little stacks of papers together.

dstin
November 6th, 2013, 10:54
HorseFeathers, if you go recheck the required documents page on the US site it now says under section 1) Main Application

Please note that printed applications will bear the phrase “Applicant Copy” as a light-gray watermark on the page. This is the copy that applicants should submit with the application packet. This page previously gave the incorrect information that the watermark would only appear if the application was not properly submitted.

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 10:58
Yeah its supposed to have it on there. Don't stress this application. Seriously, don't. Its not that bad :(

TweedPawn
November 6th, 2013, 11:03
I am totally stressing the application. I feel like I don't have nearly as much teaching background as the other applicants. Some of you guys are actually TEACHERS. ;-;

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 11:06
Thanks dstin and Merkypie. I totally missed that line. Makes it one less worry that I have to worry about.

I wish I discovered this forum sooner. A lot of my questions would have been answered.

I am totally stressing the application. I feel like I don't have nearly as much teaching background as the other applicants. Some of you guys are actually TEACHERS. ;-;

Substitute teacher. And I've only been a sub for little more than a year.

And I've stressed too. I have no experience in Japanese. I've never taken a course. All my study has been informal/self study and I can barely string a sentence together (p.s. Rosetta Stone lies!!).

So we all have blank spaces on our application that we'll worry about. But I think you have just as much of a chance of getting in as the next person! Once I get my application mailed, I am determined not to think about it until January. Set it and forget it! :D

P.S. I highly recommend substitute teaching if you're a college grad. It's much better than waiting tables (which is what I ended up doing out of college for two years). And it doesn't pay half bad either.

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 11:07
I'm not a teacher. My degree is in programming. I'm on JET. Stop yer whining.

Page
November 6th, 2013, 11:10
Don't worry, there are places that may request ALTs with teaching experience (maybe more typical in HS placements) but a lot of schools probably don't want someone who's come off of 5 years of legit teaching (because they may actually go insane). Same with Japanese, some want it some absolutely don't. There's space for all kinds of applicants, no use getting worked up about it because there's nothing you can do!

epikzwei
November 6th, 2013, 11:33

Ahh I totally agree with page on this, I interpreted it as listing the same block twice, not a difference between designated cities and blocks (which afaik are separate)
Yeah, this is what I wanted to do. First choice = designated city in Block Z, and second choice = Block Z in general. (:

I have a certificate but absolutely zero experience... And I remember almost nothing from my classes, ha. orz

moonbeam
November 6th, 2013, 14:23

I worried about this during the summer which was why I found some volunteer opportunities that would give me some experience. I managed to luck out and find a program that focuses on cultural exchange. I'm sure you could find something as well.

coop52
November 6th, 2013, 14:54
I got in with an International Studies degree, no international experience other than being a member of the International Club, and no teaching experience other than helping my dumb sorority sisters write papers. I also wrote my SOP while high on cold medicine. You'll be fine.

dstin
November 6th, 2013, 15:11
I also have an International Studies degree, been teaching in Korea for 6 months now, have a TEFL certificate, took Japanese language and history classes in college, took 12 hours of education courses, and have experience doing outreach and community organizing. Sure it sounds great on paper, but I'm not that confident that any of us understand what they're really looking for. Shit's competitive and I've known too many people not get interviews(a couple dozen) while only 4 that got them(2 were accepted and one was alternate that didn't get upgraded).

Ini
November 6th, 2013, 15:57
your app gets you an interview. if you are a terrible person or just a terrible interviewee then you wont get short listed no matter how good you look on paper

dstin
November 6th, 2013, 16:09
Thanks Ini!

I'll be careful not to mention my puppy-kicking hobby during any potential interview.

PaddyPakku
November 6th, 2013, 21:47
Yeah its supposed to have it on there. Don't stress this application. Seriously, don't. Its not that bad :(

WAIT! Those are the paperclips that they require our application to be bound by? I also notice that the application is stapled together...

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 21:54
No? I wanted to be a special snowflake though and pretty much took everything to the next level.
IDK, I applied to JET two years ago maybe the rules changed?

tedcase
November 6th, 2013, 22:12
Actually, being a qualified teacher isn't necessarily an advantage. JET wants ALTs to work as Assistants to qualified teachers. Qualified teachers, in my experience, tend to get frustrated by being just an ALT and having little control over their teaching. Theyoften don't stay long at all.

PaddyPakku
November 6th, 2013, 22:19
No? I wanted to be a special snowflake though and pretty much took everything to the next level.
IDK, I applied to JET two years ago maybe the rules changed?

I want to be a special snowflake too!! Although, I'm worried that deviating from the guidelines-even slightly- will deduct points :(
Btw, if you have time or are willing to, could you read my Personal Statement? Giving me tips and things to improve.

Shincantsen
November 6th, 2013, 23:35
My favorite thing about applicants is all the people flipping out over staples and paperclips. Also, if you call the embassy about staples and paperclips, you should get points deducted.

PaddyPakku
November 7th, 2013, 00:17
My favorite thing about applicants is all the people flipping out over staples and paperclips. Also, if you call the embassy about staples and paperclips, you should get points deducted.

I'm not sure about the US, but at the very least- here in the UK, if your application is stapled, you WILL have points deducted. So following even the minute of instructions in important.

Aurano
November 7th, 2013, 00:36
Those are some pretty epic paper clips! I'm personally just using the classic thick silver A4 paperclips.

http://www.survivalworld.com/images/every-day-items-images/paper_clip.jpg

On second thought, I've decided I'm going to invest in some higher quality paper clips.

Aethel
November 8th, 2013, 08:29
I have a question about attachments. It might be kind of a dumb question, but I just want to check...

In the instructions for several of the sections, it says "If you have additional experience you would like to provide information about, you may include an additional page with your application". I would like to add one page for international experience, and then another page for Japan Related Studies, and maybe more. Do they mean one page can be added for each section? Or one page total for all information that didn't fit onto the application form? I'm assuming they mean the first, which would mean I'd be attaching 3 or 4 more sheets. Should I put these together at the back of the application, or insert each one closest to the application form section?

Sorry if it's a silly question. Let me know if it's already been answered and I'll try harder to find where!

Gizmotech
November 8th, 2013, 08:58
Much of what you probably want to explain should be included in your SoP and other answers on your application. It might sound silly, but part of the application process is about evaluating your various experiences and abilities and summarizing them in their best light. Yes, you can included many extra pages (AFAIK, but if you need to, contact your coordinator), but I do not know how much value they will be to the grading process, as I suspect they are only really looked at in the interview stage.

Ini
November 8th, 2013, 09:01
how much international experience do you have that you need the space on the application and an entire extra page? Unless you were the ambassador to china I'm sure you could summarise it in a more condensed manner.

Aethel
November 8th, 2013, 09:50
Much of what you probably want to explain should be included in your SoP and other answers on your application. It might sound silly, but part of the application process is about evaluating your various experiences and abilities and summarizing them in their best light. Yes, you can included many extra pages (AFAIK, but if you need to, contact your coordinator), but I do not know how much value they will be to the grading process, as I suspect they are only really looked at in the interview stage.

Ok, that makes sense. I can definitely pick out the four or five most important things. I've just been hearing a whole lot of "if you're not sure, just put it down!", so I thought it might be better to put down everything I thought might be considered. I know of at least one person who said he added extra experiences for each category. But I can shorten it, and maybe just add one extra page.

Thank you for your response!

Aethel
November 8th, 2013, 09:58
how much international experience do you have that you need the space on the application and an entire extra page? Unless you were the ambassador to china I'm sure you could summarise it in a more condensed manner.

I could. But I got tripped up by "Please list any international or intercultural experience you have had." I've traveled a lot, so that's more than five experiences right there, and then I have a lot of things that fall under "intercultural experience" as well. Probably not a whole page, but maybe about half. And then if I tried to list absolutely every Japanese history, culture, and language class I've taken it would definitely be well over a page. But it seems from what you and Gizmo have said, that I should just edit it down to the most salient experiences.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Ini
November 8th, 2013, 10:22
You should be able to get away with listing where you've been and some general stuff about what those experiences as a whole meant to you rather than trying to blog about every holiday you've taken.

Aethel
November 8th, 2013, 10:31
Yeah, that seems like a good way to go about it. Thanks!

coop52
November 8th, 2013, 11:13
I'd only put down international experience if it was a trip longer than a couple of weeks. Just going to a country as a tourist for a short time isn't worth putting down.

Gizmotech
November 8th, 2013, 11:30
I'd only put down international experience if it was a trip longer than a couple of weeks. Just going to a country as a tourist for a short time isn't worth putting down.

EH!? Really!? But... But... what about all that international experience I got when I visited upper new york state for 2 days? OMG WTF BBQ!

Antonath
November 8th, 2013, 11:49
Holidays are fine to list, just don't focus on them. "Numerous foreign holidays between Year-X and Year-Y" would cover it. It shows you've left the country, which is yet another box ticked compared to some Americans (and Brits, Aussies, Kiwis...)

tedcase
November 8th, 2013, 15:53

Unless it's to Japan.

Shincantsen
November 8th, 2013, 23:38
To be honest, I'm not sure why you're being discouraged from writing everything under international experience. It won't hurt you to write more, and it could hurt you not to include everything, so why not just write it all? If it doesn't count as international experience, they'll just disregard it. As long as you're not putting your international experience as visiting Detroit or something, it's not a bad thing to have "too much."

tedcase
November 9th, 2013, 00:18
visiting Detroit

Teen Seeking Help After Car Accident Rang Doorbell, Was Shot In The Head (http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/teen-seeking-help-after-car-accident-rang-doorbell-was-shot?bffb)

chwii
November 9th, 2013, 05:36
Okay, question about the "Other Teaching/Tutoring" section. When I studied abroad for two semesters my host dad was trying to learn English. I would help him with stuff ranging from checking his answers in a textbook he was using to translating things to explaining grammar/pronunciation. I'd do this probably twice a week for about an hour or hour and a half. Would it help to put this down? I'm not sure how I'd fill in the name of institution or grade level boxes.

Gizmotech
November 9th, 2013, 06:48
You wouldn't, because it wasn't teaching or tutoring, it was assisting and volunteering.

chwii
November 9th, 2013, 08:41
Ah, okay. Thanks.

epikzwei
November 10th, 2013, 08:05
Hi again, hoping these will be my last few questions.

So I've heard many times that 1) if I'm unsure about whether some experience counts, "just put it down." 2) If it fits in multiple categories (ex. work, extracurricular, intercultural), put it down in all. I'd just like to get additional opinions on this. Would you guys agree?

About:

"Intercultural Experience" refers to any work, formal or informal, volunteer or paid, with people of other cultures or any other similar experiences that took place in the United States.
I was part of a Japanese club and with them, volunteered for two different single-day events at a Japanese preschool, and the club also co-hosted a festival on campus. If the club doesn't belong in "Intercultural Experience", I think I'll list the two preschool events as one item, and the festival as another, then just put the club under "Other Information > Extracurricular/Volunteer Activities".

Do you guys have other suggestions?

The club also had a weekly language table where it was basically very simple chatting in Japanese...not sure what to do with this (or mention it at all).
Oh yeah, we had undoukai too. Where to stick that....hmm... or maybe I will end up putting everything in Intercultural Exp. /:

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 06:21
Huh. I don't know. I completely skipped over that section myself because I assumed nothing like that would apply to me. But come to think of it I should have probably listed my attendance at the ASL club at my community college. Ah well. Too late to fix that now.

I'd say put it down. But I'm an applicant not a JET yet. I just know I would personally include it, if it were me.

tedcase
November 11th, 2013, 06:33
As long as you are able to make it relevant to JET and you are prepared to back it up in an interview, you can write whatever you want in the form. If you don't think it's relevant, dont write it, but be warned, If i were reading them, an app full of blank spaces looks really bad. They ask you these things for good reason.

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 06:40
I had a really basic and brief teaching experience at college which I didn't put down on my application but mentioned in my personal statement. The only reason I didn't put it in the application is because I felt it wasn't something that went on for a period of time. Now I really regret not putting it down under informal teaching experience, and just hope that the people reading my application don't give up before reading my personal statement.

So my advice would be put it down if you are 50/50 about it. At least then you can just explain it in the interview if you get that far.

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 12:57
Unfortunately I know I don't have any study abroad experience. So I had to skip that section. But I didn't even realize there was a section like what was mentioned above. I must not have read it very closely.

While the ASL club WAS mentioned on my application, I just didn't think to put it in that section. I put it under other activities, I believe. Under my education.

I believe the only blank sections of my application are the study abroad and Japanese experience. Because I have none. :(

Oh yeah... I just rechecked the application. Feeling like an idiot. I skipped it thinking it only dealt with study abroad and oversea travel. I had no idea that I could put down my experience working with Deaf culture. Ugh... well I DID mention it in my SOP and in my teaching experience. Hopefully that won't count against me so bad.

I can't believe I missed that. I reread that application over three times before I submitted it. My eyes must have glazed over whenever I got to International Experience and just moved on.

Page
November 11th, 2013, 14:21
They're not going to give up on your app before checking it (unless you messed up something in the application directions). Not even worth worrying about.

moonbeam
November 11th, 2013, 23:49
Quick question: I volunteer for a program that teaches students about Japanese school life and culture. Would I list that under teaching experience (because it's in a classroom) or intercultural experience (because it's volunteer)?

CrouchingMouse
November 12th, 2013, 04:07
I also have a quick (probably dumb) question. My degree was in Japanese language and lit, so most of the classes I took could be listed under "Japan-Related Studies". I filled all the spots already with some of the most important Japanese-related classes, like my language, history, and religion classes. To be safe, should I just go ahead and add an extra page with every other class that might be relevant, or will they get the idea after seeing my transcripts?

epikzwei
November 12th, 2013, 04:46
Re: my Japanese club and the 4 or so activities/volunteer events I did with them - my question was more like, should I list all of them individually? Most were just single-day, and I'm wondering if I'd be inflating my app a bit too much. I'm leaning more and more toward just going ahead and adding like an additional 5 items each to Intercultural Experience and to Other Information.

Also, I still haven't figured out how to add extra pages to the online app. Maybe I haven't looked close enough... Or do you include them only with the hard copy?

therealwindycity
November 12th, 2013, 08:39
Quick question: I volunteer for a program that teaches students about Japanese school life and culture. Would I list that under teaching experience (because it's in a classroom) or intercultural experience (because it's volunteer)?

As long as it's listed I think they'll recognize that it overlaps. I would list it in intercultural experience.

I also have a quick (probably dumb) question. My degree was in Japanese language and lit, so most of the classes I took could be listed under "Japan-Related Studies". I filled all the spots already with some of the most important Japanese-related classes, like my language, history, and religion classes. To be safe, should I just go ahead and add an extra page with every other class that might be relevant, or will they get the idea after seeing my transcripts?

I think that they'll recognize the important information from your transcript - you don't want to sound like you're padding your application.

Re: my Japanese club and the 4 or so activities/volunteer events I did with them - my question was more like, should I list all of them individually? Most were just single-day, and I'm wondering if I'd be inflating my app a bit too much. I'm leaning more and more toward just going ahead and adding like an additional 5 items each to Intercultural Experience and to Other Information.

Also, I still haven't figured out how to add extra pages to the online app. Maybe I haven't looked close enough... Or do you include them only with the hard copy?

Could you include these things under the single category of "Japanese cultural club"? It sounds like although you did several different events they were part of the same overall club

epikzwei
November 12th, 2013, 16:07
Could you include these things under the single category of "Japanese cultural club"? It sounds like although you did several different events they were part of the same overall club
If I don't use the name of the club, I think I could fit in two events. Danged character limit. /: I don't want to be vague about the events, but I think I could group a few together and give two of the bigger things their own boxes. Thanks.
P.S. I like your avatar. ;D

Pallas
November 13th, 2013, 06:53
I submitted my application and have printed it out, and I feel confident about it. However, I just noticed that my Chrome auto-complete put my full name in the form in the wrong order. My first name ended up in my last name slot, my middle name in the first name spot, and my last name in the middle name field. I corrected this on the printed out copy, but I still feel bad about it. Should I be worried about this issue? My full name is on my Statement of Purpose, and is correctly shown on my attached identification and transcripts, it was just this one spot on the actual essay.

Shincantsen
November 13th, 2013, 07:42
I submitted my application and have printed it out, and I feel confident about it. However, I just noticed that my Chrome auto-complete put my full name in the form in the wrong order. My first name ended up in my last name slot, my middle name in the first name spot, and my last name in the middle name field. I corrected this on the printed out copy, but I still feel bad about it. Should I be worried about this issue? My full name is on my Statement of Purpose, and is correctly shown on my attached identification and transcripts, it was just this one spot on the actual essay.

I wouldn't worry about it. If your name is written incorrectly anywhere important, they'll use your birth certificate/passport to correct it.

epikzwei
November 14th, 2013, 12:52
.__.;; Haven't seen anyone else ask about this so I feel like an idiot.

Shincantsen
November 14th, 2013, 23:37
You don't need to include them on the online application, just the printed one.

epikzwei
November 15th, 2013, 11:27
^Thank you!

Finally pretty much done with my app. Just looked at the PDF preview, and what the hell? There's a 120 character limit for the International/Intercultural Experience but only half actually shows up in the preview. Is it like this for everyone? Does it print exactly as it looks?
I put the more important things in the online app and was going to add others on the extra page but now I'm considering doing the opposite.

MinisterDM
November 15th, 2013, 11:52
^Thank you!

Finally pretty much done with my app. Just looked at the PDF preview, and what the hell? There's a 120 character limit for the International/Intercultural Experience but only half actually shows up in the preview. Is it like this for everyone? Does it print exactly as it looks?
I put the more important things in the online app and was going to add others on the extra page but now I'm considering doing the opposite.

I had the same problem, remember it says on the website to adjust content to fit the form. If they can't read it then that's a problem. I had to adjust alot of my content to make it fit and readable.

epikzwei
November 15th, 2013, 12:14
Yeah, that's annoying. -__- I hate this stupid app. It cuts off the names of all my employers too. Why specify a character limit when you won't even allow that much to be visible?

uthinkimlost?
November 15th, 2013, 13:09
Yeah, that's annoying. -__- I hate this stupid app. It cuts off the names of all my employers too. Why specify a character limit when you won't even allow that much to be visible?

a) to see if you notice the problem
b) to see if you are smart enough to fix it or work around it

epikzwei
November 15th, 2013, 13:19
It wouldn't be as bad if they gave us 300 char. limit and then made us cut it down to 150. xP All right, enough whining.

Final question (I hope): do we have to print, sign, and then make copies, or would it be okay to print 3 copies and then sign each of them? (Because I'm having someone else print for me, where they have access to a laser printer to spit out a slightly nicer looking app.)

therealwindycity
November 15th, 2013, 13:21
You can sign them all. It's fine.

Lianwen
November 15th, 2013, 14:18

This was an issue with the application the year I applied - apparently whatever looks "cut off" still shows for them on their side, even if it doesn't when you print the application. My year was told that was okay. I can't find the post anymore, because official locked the forum from being viewed, but I would call the consulate. You might be doing all this extra work and putting time into "formatting" when you don't need to.

moshimoshi
November 15th, 2013, 23:06
I apologize if this was already answered... In the contact info section it says "If your current address is the same as your permanent address, please indicate “Yes” and leave the current mailing address section blank." but then when I save it, it gets filled in automatically. Is it supposed to do that?!

moonbeam
November 15th, 2013, 23:23
I apologize if this was already answered... In the contact info section it says "If your current address is the same as your permanent address, please indicate “Yes” and leave the current mailing address section blank." but then when I save it, it gets filled in automatically. Is it supposed to do that?!

That happened to me too. I think the check box is just an indicator for screeners to pay attention to that section. It's probably not a big deal.

moshimoshi
November 15th, 2013, 23:36
thanks, doll!

moonbeam
November 17th, 2013, 23:17
I think this question has been asked before but I don't think it was actually answered. When submitting a separate page for additional information, do we include it with the particular section it pertains to? Or do we leave it at the end of the application?

TweedPawn
November 18th, 2013, 08:09
Quick question:

my FBI summary doesn't seem like it's going to come in by the time I am ready to mail my app. I know it says that if I mail it in by january 15th, I'll be able to still apply for early departure, but do I mail this WITH my certificate of health? Or can I mail it separately? Also, I think I am supposed to mail it to the JET office in DC. That's correct, right? Or am I mailing to the place I selected to be interviewed at?

Gizmotech
November 18th, 2013, 08:29
Please contact your local coordinator about this. If you are applying for ED, there are slightly different rules for submitting documentation, which are not necessarily clear on the website.

coop52
November 18th, 2013, 09:20
I would call and ask. There's probably a backlog anyway from the shutdown, so maybe the consulate will take that into account and accept it after you app.

julie
November 18th, 2013, 10:12
Hi everyone! Two quick questions. My transcript doesn't include classes I'm currently enrolled in but the application information stresses that all classes need to be included. Should I include an official letter from my registrar's office stating the classes I'm currently enrolled in? Also, the letter stating my current enrollment status and graduation date has a big stamp that says "Unlawful to release to a third party"... should I be worried about that?

Gizmotech
November 18th, 2013, 10:21
Hi everyone! Two quick questions. My transcript doesn't include classes I'm currently enrolled in but the application information stresses that all classes need to be included. Should I include an official letter from my registrar's office stating the classes I'm currently enrolled in? Also, the letter stating my current enrollment status and graduation date has a big stamp that says "Unlawful to release to a third party"... should I be worried about that?

The letter from the registrars is what they use for those classes that you aren't registered for. It's the proof that you will graduate, and when you do you will have to resubmit transcripts and proof of diploma anyways, so don't worry about it.

Also that stamp is meant for the embassy not to release that information to another party other than you, the university, or themselves. I know it's kinda strange but technically you are not actually a party in the discussion of third party as the university is representing your behalf.

julie
November 18th, 2013, 10:40
The letter from the registrars is what they use for those classes that you aren't registered for. It's the proof that you will graduate, and when you do you will have to resubmit transcripts and proof of diploma anyways, so don't worry about it.

Also that stamp is meant for the embassy not to release that information to another party other than you, the university, or themselves. I know it's kinda strange but technically you are not actually a party in the discussion of third party as the university is representing your behalf.

Thanks for the reply! I'm enrolled in 3 Japanese courses this semester so I included those in the section of the application about Japanese courses you've taken. I wasn't sure if that would be fishy since they won't be listed on my actual transcript. I'm finishing everything pretty last-minute so I'm going crazy over details right now haha

epikzwei
November 19th, 2013, 08:09
Thanks to everyone in this thread for all your help! Just mailed out my application today. I really hope I didn't forget anything....
Also, sorry for having been an annoying presence. :P

FYI: Deadline extended to December 3rd. Just got the email a minute ago.

moshimoshi
November 19th, 2013, 10:53
paperclips. are you using a total of 3?! or are you paper clipping each document that is multiple pages+ 3 to hold the packets together?!!!

epikzwei
November 19th, 2013, 11:06
In the Checklist and Mailing info PDF (http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/pdfs/2014_Checklist%20_and_Mailing_Info.pdf), it says to use one paperclip for each set so that's what I did. (Luckily, had some nice 2-inch paperclips). I didn't staple or paperclip anything else, not even my SoP.