PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding placement requests

b23784
October 31st, 2013, 03:37
Am I allowed to request a type of area (urban/suburban/rural) without specifying a region or prefecture? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I feel like the directions on the application are kind of vague.

I'm on the US application if that means anything.

Gizmotech
October 31st, 2013, 06:24
It was an option on the Canadian form 3 years ago. Rural/urban.

Does that mean you will get it? no. Could you get it? possibly

Placement requests are always a shot in the dark.

wicket
November 1st, 2013, 19:11
There's not a shot in the dark if you can give good reasons why you want to go to a particular place or would prefer rural over urban or vice versa. I pretty much got my placement requests both times I did JET but they certainly grilled me over my choices in the interviews.

Ini
November 1st, 2013, 20:02
I got my exact placement request. The people who say its random are just bitter

tedcase
November 1st, 2013, 20:49
Even if you don't get your placement request, putting one down and being able to explain it will show that you have at least thought about that particular component of your application seriously.

uthinkimlost?
November 2nd, 2013, 08:35
You don't want to appear inflexible.

Also, Okinawa ain't a tropical wonderland for those that look like the spouse of a Marine.

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2013, 13:13
I won't say that placement requests are random. Technically I got placed in the same block as one of my requests, so it's not "random" in the sense that you'll request Okinawa and end up in Hokkaido.

I guess it would be that you'll more than likely end up in the same block as one of your requests but don't bank on getting the exact city or prefecture.

therealwindycity
November 2nd, 2013, 13:14
It seems like you're also more likely to get your request if you ask for a prefecture that hardly anyone ever requests (Shimane, Yamaguchi, etc.)

dstin
November 2nd, 2013, 13:45
That's what I'm hoping for therealwindycity. I put down some nowhere prefectures without much snow and don't mind being in the ass-end of nowhere.

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2013, 14:38
I specifically asked for no snow. Then I got sent to one of the snowiest places in Japan.

Shit happens.

dstin
November 2nd, 2013, 14:56
Are you in Aomori or something?

I was careful to not put that as the reason, I made up a different explanation as to why I was requesting southern Kyushu and Shikoku. I'm going to get plenty of snow this winter in Korea so maybe I will be adjusted if that happens. (I've lived me entire life in Louisiana until now, so snow kinda scares me)

Ini
November 2nd, 2013, 19:58
Not liking a type of weather for trivial reasons, having seen a place in an anime, visiting somewhere on holiday once, sticking a pin in a map at random, guessing where looks nice based on their Wikipedia page- these are not good reasons for a placement request.

Moso
November 2nd, 2013, 21:49
Not liking a type of weather for trivial reasons, having seen a place in an anime, visiting somewhere on holiday once, sticking a pin in a map at random, guessing where looks nice based on their Wikipedia page- these are not good reasons for a placement request.
Hmmm, would you say unless you have a really serious reason for a placement it's best not to put one?
I could definitely make a convincing case for wanting to go to one of my choices but my other ones are just kind of like "I've never been there and they look pretty awesome based on google"

AVN
November 2nd, 2013, 21:55
I won't say that placement requests are random. Technically I got placed in the same block as one of my requests, so it's not "random" in the sense that you'll request Okinawa and end up in Hokkaido.

I guess it would be that you'll more than likely end up in the same block as one of your requests but don't bank on getting the exact city or prefecture.

Except that that happens all the time... I know several JETs who applied for Okinawa and got Hokkaido. I also know of a couple of JETs who applied for Hokkaido and got Okinawa. One of the JETs who requested Okinawa actually had a grandmother in Okinawa and a girlfriend. He still got placed in Hokkaido.

dstin
November 2nd, 2013, 22:20
Of course the obvious answer is the JET program is beholden unto the BOEs not us. They will fill their requests long before even considering where we want to live. Sure you wanted the Kansai region, but Hokkaido said they want someone with several years in marketing for some reason and you fit the bill.

AVN
November 2nd, 2013, 22:29
Of course the obvious answer is the JET program is beholden unto the BOEs not us. They will fill their requests long before even considering where we want to live. Sure you wanted the Kansai region, but Hokkaido said they want someone with several years in marketing for some reason and you fit the bill.

This is the truth. It's not random, but your requests are secondary to those of your Contracting Organization.

Aurano
November 3rd, 2013, 01:00
Seems like Okinawa is a popular choice, and I'll be honest, I put it down as my first choice as well. I'm starting to feel like I should just put down 'No Preference' again though and just rolling the dice.

Valkerion
November 3rd, 2013, 02:16
Good thread, was thinking about this when going through the application.

I want the Osaka area personally so I chose the prefecture/small city next to it, a slightly larger city to the south of it, and then Okinawa since I love the music and culture of that place more than anything just as entertainment reasons I would say.

Was curious though... is there honestly any real way to not request the frozen areas haha. I'm from the Southern USA and have NEVER been through snow and assume I would die come late fall haha. I assume if you get an interview it would come up as to why you chose a region but yeah, sounds almost random if you have no real reason for choosing a particular area. Speaking of, what kinds of reasons do you guys think they like to hear as to why you chose an area? Also what about that section that follows, if that the place to say "omg arthritis cant go, or would it be best to not fill it out instead of a dumb ass response in that spot :p

AVN
November 3rd, 2013, 10:30
Just remember, being against a place could count against you in an interview.
I requested Hokkaido and they asked me "what would you do if you got Okinawa?". They will ask you the same in reverse. If you indicate that you would be against that, if they get any indication that you might back out if you get a northern placement that could be the end of your application process.
Also, be warned if you choose one of the well known places (Osaka, Hokkaido, Okinawa, Kyoto, etc). They will want to know why. You should have a better answer than "I know those places and I don't know other places" or "I want to live next to a big city so I can go out and do stuff on the weekend". Those are big red flags and can count against you in the interview process.
Valkerion: Another thing you should keep in mind is that houses in Osaka and Southern Japan are poorly insulated, sometimes they are not insulated at all. This means that though it may only get to about 0-5 degrees Celcius your house will be that temperature. It will be very cold at night, you will need a heater, a kotatsu, etc. If you really think you'll die in the cold (Which you won't by the way, you'll adjust just like all the people from Australia and the southern states who have lived in Hokkaido and Japan before you) then maybe Japan is not for you.

coop52
November 3rd, 2013, 11:11
Southerner here, first winter sucked but I got over it. The worst part is buildings not being that much warmer than the outside, since they're insulated by imagination and gaman.

Generally BOE requirements get priority over placement requests. If you are a Japanese speaking female from the UK, and Inaka BOE wants someone with those qualifications, then you're pretty much going there. Requests such as "I'm diabetic and would like to be near a hospital" or "My city is such-and-such's sister city" are far more likely to be honored than "I want to be near cool cultural stuff," "I don't want to be hot/cold," or "I want shit to do on weekends."

Illuria
November 3rd, 2013, 13:24
Southerner here, first winter sucked but I got over it. The worst part is buildings not being that much warmer than the outside, since they're insulated by imagination and gaman.

Generally BOE requirements get priority over placement requests. If you are a Japanese speaking female from the UK, and Inaka BOE wants someone with those qualifications, then you're pretty much going there. Requests such as "I'm diabetic and would like to be near a hospital" or "My city is such-and-such's sister city" are far more likely to be honored than "I want to be near cool cultural stuff," "I don't want to be hot/cold," or "I want shit to do on weekends."

I have a totally tenuous link to one of my placement requests which amounts to 'It's sister cities with the city in America named after the British city I went to university in'. Might work well if I spin the 'I want to foster relationships between the two cities' angle.

Aurano
November 3rd, 2013, 21:57
Placements or no placements, I'd just be happy to get on the programme.

mrcharisma
November 4th, 2013, 02:25
Do your homework and try to find one of the several prefectures that give Jets the school vacations off work. Makes a hell of a difference.

tedcase
November 4th, 2013, 05:09
good advice from Mrcharisma. Be sure to mention that in your interview too.

Mardeuce
November 4th, 2013, 09:03
Do your homework and try to find one of the several prefectures that give Jets the school vacations off work. Makes a hell of a difference.

Oh wow didn't quite realize that different prefectures opt between giving JETs school vacations off or not. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for the great advice Mrcharisma.

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2013, 09:12
Oh wow didn't quite realize that different prefectures opt between giving JETs school vacations off or not. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for the great advice Mrcharisma.

Uhh, it's not really prefectures, more contracting organizations. For instance, in my prefecture, prefecutral ALTs do not get summers off, but many City ALTs get half days (or more) during the summer months. I have heard of other prefectures where they will give you a cultural immersion allowance of a couple of days which you can use for things like immersive Japanese study, or if you're good and can pitch it, a vacation in Japan to culturally relevant places.

Mardeuce
November 4th, 2013, 10:35
Thank you for elaborating on that Gizmotech. Well for the most part I guess it's just a wait and see kind of thing. No matter what there is a unique experience to be gained.

Valkerion
November 4th, 2013, 11:31
Valkerion: Another thing you should keep in mind is that houses in Osaka and Southern Japan are poorly insulated, sometimes they are not insulated at all. This means that though it may only get to about 0-5 degrees Celcius your house will be that temperature. It will be very cold at night, you will need a heater, a kotatsu, etc. If you really think you'll die in the cold (Which you won't by the way, you'll adjust just like all the people from Australia and the southern states who have lived in Hokkaido and Japan before you) then maybe Japan is not for you.

Yeah I'm well aware lol. I have no problem with the cold personally, its more the traveling in snow. People are already bad enough drivers, myself included, but add inexperience in snow conditions cant be good, is what I was going for.
In all honesty, even though I did not choose Hokkaido, it would probably be my 4th choice, hell it was my first choice until about 3 months ago. My choices for Osaka area were for extended family that lives there and have never really connected with after meeting them for the first time about 13 years ago (had no clue we had Japanese in our family til a particular family Reunion) , Okinawa is where they are originally from, as well as loving Okinawa music/culture and how its different from the main islands. So I have mulled it over quite a bit and was not a choice out of climate alone :)

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 13:59
Hm. Maybe I'm a little odd but I actually requested Hokkaido because it has snow. But then again, I also requested Kyoto and then Tottori simply because I wanted to vary my locations up. One near a city, one very far away from a city and then my last one in northern Japan. My logic was more that there were so many different locations that I'd enjoy that I just opted for a little bit of everything.

I can't say I really have a good reason for picking any of them. Kyoto just simply was near all the historical locations I'd want to visit. And Hokkaido because I wanted to live in a location with mountains and snow- similar to my experience when I lived in the blue ridge mountain range. Tottori was extremely rural and had beautiful sand dunes that intrigued me. I wanted at least one of my locations to be lesser known... though I was torn between Tottori and Shimane. Hm... wish I had probably put that down instead of Hokkaido. I just didn't realize Hokkaido was so well known before I chose it. I personally was only familiar with the big cities in Japan before I started researching locations for my application.

word
November 6th, 2013, 14:07
Nah; lots of people request Hokkaido for winter sports and the like.

Be ready to be asked why you requested X location, and if you can't provide a good reason, be ready to be placed somewhere completely different.

I wasn't placed anywhere near any of my requests (which were relatively obscure; not any of the "Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto" standards). I had little justification for any of them (sister city, interested in X thing, etc.), and made it clear in my interview that I would be very happy to be placed *anywhere* in Japan. I quite like my placement (although I would still have loved to be further south and be somewhere more conducive to surfing).

johnny
November 19th, 2013, 00:21
It seems like you're also more likely to get your request if you ask for a prefecture that hardly anyone ever requests (Shimane, Yamaguchi, etc.)

I would never, ever have requested Yamaguchi, but now that I'm here, I love it. I am particularly happy because I am just a few minutes away from a main shinkansen stop. Anyway, request anywhere that you want, but there are lots of great placements here in the Guch!

Beer Baron
November 19th, 2013, 01:28
Requested semi-urban Osaka prefecture, got exactly what I wanted. Yes, I was grilled on it in the interview, but I could give a good reason :D

Shincantsen
November 19th, 2013, 02:57
I requested a smallish town I'd visited in high school, and I got it. It was the best placement ever!