PDA

View Full Version : A4 Paper in America

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 05:05
I just spent three hours today driving around my local area trying to find a store that sells A4 paper. Turns out, it's very uncommon in the US... much to my dismay. I ended up having to special order the paper from Staples. 9 dollar ream of paper that with shipping will cost me 20 dollars for 2 sheets to print my essay out on.

Is any other applicant having the same issue? Any tips on where to find A4 without having to order online or drive around aimlessly for hours?

I'm gonna feel really dumb if you can pick up a ream at CVS or something.

Shincantsen
November 6th, 2013, 05:06
Does it say on your application that it must be on A4 paper?

Trini
November 6th, 2013, 06:09
I just spent three hours today driving around my local area trying to find a store that sells A4 paper. Turns out, it's very uncommon in the US... much to my dismay. I ended up having to special order the paper from Staples. 9 dollar ream of paper that with shipping will cost me 20 dollars for 2 sheets to print my essay out on.

Is any other applicant having the same issue? Any tips on where to find A4 without having to order online or drive around aimlessly for hours?

I'm gonna feel really dumb if you can pick up a ream at CVS or something.

I am quite sure the guidelines say to use letter-size paper (or A4). At most you get 1-2 sentences extra on the A4. Is it really worth all of that^^?

Aurano
November 6th, 2013, 07:34
I thought A4 was regular letter size paper. You can get it fairly easily over here in England from any stationary shop.

therealwindycity
November 6th, 2013, 08:18
Letter-sized paper is 8 1/2" by 11".

word
November 6th, 2013, 08:33
Yeah; I just printed mine on nice US Letter paper (resume paper of some kind, as I recall). Why the emphasis on A4? If it's just the extra line that you get, try using a slightly more compact font.

Page
November 6th, 2013, 08:37
Yeah don't worry about it, do it on regular letter size. Tbh this is something you should check with the embassy about though, none of us oldies would know if they changed some guideline (but it's doubtful).

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 09:46
This is an essay, in English, of no more than two pages on letter-size (or A4) paper, typewritten in black 12-point font and double-spaced with one-inch margins.

Wow. I feel dumb. For some reason I thought it HAD to be A4 paper. Welp... I guess I spent a little bit more time and money than was necessary. Silly me.

therealwindycity
November 6th, 2013, 09:49
Don't worry; the JET program application has driven people to do crazier things ...

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:42
Don't worry; the JET program application has driven people to do crazier things ...

Haha. I believe it. :)

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 10:43
I printed my paper on a stack of recycled 90% white paper I bought from Walmart and still got into JET. As long as you're not printing it on stationary paper, I don't see a problem...

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:48
I printed my paper on a stack of recycled 90% white paper I bought from Walmart and still got into JET. As long as you're not printing it on stationary paper, I don't see a problem...

Yeah it was totally my bad. I saw A4 and somehow got it into my head that that was the sized paper I HAD to print it on. All the rules and guidelines of the application must have been making me a little loopy. I went back and looked over the SOP instructions again; little face palm moment there. So I guess I have a ream of paper coming my way that I really needn't have put so much effort into getting.

Merkypie
November 6th, 2013, 11:00
Well, if you get into JET, at least you have A4 paper to print on when u get to Japan!

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 11:02
Oh excellent! Looking on the bright side! :D

zombiekelly
November 6th, 2013, 17:11
A4 is pretty uncommon in the big box stores. Even with overnight shipping amazon tends to be cheaper.

word
November 7th, 2013, 08:54
Looks like this one has been resolved; thanks all!