PDA

View Full Version : So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Pages : [1] 2

imightbetheone
November 6th, 2013, 10:00
I'm just sitting here being paranoid about my application and wondering how other folks are doing.

I've written a draft of my SoP, gotten my transcripts, filled out the online application (though not yet submitted), had a doctor do the health thingy because I broke my leg last year, and that's about all I can think of. A professor and a professional reference have committed to write my 2 letters for me, but I'm still waiting on them.

I'm doing all of this from abroad so I'm trying to stay ahead of things, but if my references aren't on the ball then I'm royally f*ucked. How are you all doing?

(And if someone would like to review my U.S. SoP (and has a clue what the hell they're talking about) I would be most grateful.)

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:34
I can sympathize on that whole waiting for a reference letter thing. I had two reference letter writers bail on me. Thankfully I had a close colleague who heard me airing my grievances a few days ago and quite literally dropped everything to write up a letter. He really saved me a lot of stress.

My application is all printed out and waiting to be sent. I only need to print out a final copy of my SOP, which I am planning to do soon. I think I'm going to shell out a few extra bucks to express ship it too. Just so that I won't have to worry about it not getting there in time via some freak mailing accident.

imightbetheone
November 6th, 2013, 10:49
I have been contemplating back-up scenarios just in case my references don't come through. I would like to think they are responsible, but I feel like it's much more important to me to have the letters than it is to them to write the letters!

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:57
Definitely have a back up plan. As someone who's gone through this song and dance before (not with JET but with other jobs) it's always important to have someone else on standby. I actually asked four people for reference letters all at once even though we only need two. Just because I suspected that I might not get a reference from some of them. Two never replied (technically one person I contacted gave me the wrong contact information so only one person never replied to me). And one said she would do it but then never contacted me again.

So I had one really stellar reference letter writer but then three didn't pan out. And well you heard the story of how I just lucked out with my colleague volunteering himself. It's better to ask more people and get extra references than to ask only two and have one drop out or not follow the instructions correctly.

And that was my greatest fear too. That my reference writer (I was contacting them long distance as well) would not sign the back of the envelope or forget to make copies of their document. So, long story short, always have back ups.

TweedPawn
November 6th, 2013, 11:10
Yeah, I have a guy who owns his own business that is familiar with my work ethic. He is my backup, as well as the ladies from my church group/rabbit rescue crew. I am hoping on at least ONE academic recommendation.

epikzwei
November 6th, 2013, 11:39
I still need to work on my SoP a bit, which I haven't looked at in a few weeks. ~__~ I'd say I'm about 80% done with the online application.
I've already received one of my letters, and my second one and a back-up are on their way. I wish I could use all three. ;_;

I've just started at a new job and feel like I've barely had any time to go over the app really thoroughly. ):

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 11:55
I've already received one of my letters, and my second one and a back-up are on their way. I wish I could use all three. ;_;

Man. Wish I had that problem. I was lucky to just get the two. :)

Ini
November 6th, 2013, 12:50
and has a clue what the hell they're talking about)

You've come to the wrong place for that. Can I interest you in a selection of ill informed blowhards with less than 2 years experience?

TweedPawn
November 6th, 2013, 13:01
Making revisions on my SOP. App is 90% done. Just have to get that doctor's exam, and hound my references. Getting nervous though. ;-;

dstin
November 6th, 2013, 13:04
My application packet is sitting in customs in Chicago. From there it will head down to Dallas where a family member has my original transcript copies and my second set of recommendation letters to send all together to the consulate.

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 13:31
My application packet is sitting in customs in Chicago. From there it will head down to Dallas where a family member has my original transcript copies and my second set of recommendation letters to send all together to the consulate.

Whew. And I thought getting my application together was hard work.

moonbeam
November 6th, 2013, 14:11
I had the same problem with reference letters where I wrote to four people and only one responded. Sooo, as a back up I asked my supervisor and thankfully she agreed.

As for the rest of the packet, I have my SOP written and am getting it looked at by a few people. I just need to do the application itself and get copies of everything.

grub
November 6th, 2013, 20:47
I haven't started on my SoP yet (but I've been thinking about it) because I have a bunch of essays due in soon. As for the rest, I still need to get copies of things, but I have the references (1 still in the works), my police check and half of my certificate of health filled in.

Just curious, for the SoP, were you guys given a suggested topic? I'm from Melbourne and we got "If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALR?"

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 21:09
Just curious, for the SoP, were you guys given a suggested topic? I'm from Melbourne and we got "If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALR?"

Not really a topic so much as things we needed to include and keep in the back of our minds while writing.

You should incorporate all of the following points in your essay:

Relevant Experience: Describe applicable experiences, professional skills, relevant interests and personal qualities, and how you feel these will be useful to you as an ALT or CIR.
Motivation for Participation: State why you wish to go to Japan and participate in the JET Program and why you are interested in the position for which you are applying. Also address what you hope to gain, both personally and professionally, and what effect you hope to have on the Japanese community and internationally as a result of your participation in the JET Program.

But I followed an even more simple guideline of three questions. 1. Why should JET pick me? 2. Why did I pick JET? and 3. Why did I pick Japan? I added details here and there to make sure I followed and answered the points on the guideline page but I thought that these three questions I read summed up by a former JET were very helpful.

I think the only point my essay might be weak on is this one:
what effect you hope to have on the Japanese community and internationally as a result of your participation in the JET Program.

Not sure how to work that in yet. Though I'm pretty sure I've struck every other point, that's the only one where I'm not sure what to say. I mean other than, well- I have pretty modest hopes of being a good ALT.

tedcase
November 6th, 2013, 21:23
Started and completed my app over the weekend. It's now ready to post as soon as I can get to the post office.

Aurano
November 6th, 2013, 23:22
I've completed my application and printing it today. Sending Statement of Physician to the doctors to get signed, then making all necessary photocopies once I have everything I need. After all that, it's just a case of sorting out each pack and sending that sucker off!

tedcase
November 6th, 2013, 23:45
Posted mine. :)
Feel bad having to rush it slightly, but I'm gonna be stuck in Bavaria for the next two weeks. :(

gengo398
November 7th, 2013, 04:01
One reference down , one to go, hopefully they'll have it done this week. If not going to ask my backup. Completed the application..still need to polish up my SoP so it's nice and pretty..and coherent..

Mardeuce
November 7th, 2013, 05:31
Finalizing my application. Just need my final reference letter and to think of a smart way to answer the proposed direction question and I will be good to go.

TweedPawn
November 7th, 2013, 07:02
Printed out application! References are ready! Doctor's appointment is tomorrow! Waiting on FBI thingy~

Moso
November 7th, 2013, 07:31
Finalising my application atm! Just having a bit of a tricky time with the self-assessment medical form and still waiting on one reference (though I regularly see the reference writer and he assures me he's working on it!)

Ahhh! So close to finishing it now :O

grub
November 7th, 2013, 11:41
Thanks for the advice HorseFeathers! It's given me more things to think about especially the last point you mentioned!

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 06:03
Thanks for the advice HorseFeathers! It's given me more things to think about especially the last point you mentioned!

You're welcome, Grub! And it turns out I have completely finished my application today but today is Sunday... and tomorrow is a holiday. So I have to wait till Tuesday to mail it. Ugh... frustrating.

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 06:44
I just need to photocopy things, get it all together and send it. However, I'm still working on my personal statement, and no matter how many times I edit and rewrite parts I just don't feel satisfied with it.

chwii
November 11th, 2013, 06:54
I'm in the same boat as you, Aurano. I'm still not completely satisfied with mine, but I finally just sent it to a few people to get a second opinion since I'm never actually satisfied with what I write. I'm still waiting on my last letter of rec as well... The woman who's writing it told me she was planning to send it last Friday or yesterday, so hopefully it's on its way.

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 07:13
Yeah, we are what you call 'our own worst critics'. I'm rarely satisfied with my own work, and even when I am I still try to improve it.

jmejia019
November 11th, 2013, 07:14
I'm basically done with the application (save for a few things I need to go back and edit/double check and fill dates in) and have both reference letters in hand. I've written my SoP but need some time to sit on it and tinker a bit. I'm currently waiting on my transcripts to come in as well (any day now...). I'm hoping to have it packaged and mailed off next week, but I do have a few questions I was hoping to pose to the experts here first.

HorseFeathers
November 11th, 2013, 12:49
It took me about two-three weeks to write my SOP. And that's how many weeks I was actually putting something down on paper. I've been planning and outlining since September (but then I also thought they'd release the application on the first of October). I found the best way to write it was to write something. Walk away from it for a few days. Pass it around, and then come back to it. I think I have four different copies of my essay. I only just finalized it today. I wanted to just send my application today so I wouldn't be tempted to try and edit it again. But nope, now I get to sit and stare at it for the next two days. But at least it's finished.

I'm not going to be able to relax until I get the confirmation that it arrived at the embassy though. You know I've never really been distrustful of our postal service before, but I'm half tempted to hand deliver it (if it weren't so painful driving in DC).

Jedirust
November 11th, 2013, 21:49
It took me about two-three weeks to write my SOP. And that's how many weeks I was actually putting something down on paper. I've been planning and outlining since September (but then I also thought they'd release the application on the first of October). I found the best way to write it was to write something. Walk away from it for a few days. Pass it around, and then come back to it. I think I have four different copies of my essay. I only just finalized it today. I wanted to just send my application today so I wouldn't be tempted to try and edit it again. But nope, now I get to sit and stare at it for the next two days. But at least it's finished.

I'm not going to be able to relax until I get the confirmation that it arrived at the embassy though. You know I've never really been distrustful of our postal service before, but I'm half tempted to hand deliver it (if it weren't so painful driving in DC).

Planning and outlining since September for a 2 page essay about yourself? Maybe, I didn't spend enough time on mine. Finished in 6 hours including editing and lunch...

Aurano
November 11th, 2013, 23:16
I started mine ages ago before the application was even released. But then I just stopped for a while, picked it up again about 5 days ago because I knew I had to have it finished before the end of this week.

Problem was, I ended up doing some extensive research in to it and found a little website giving tips on the DO NOT's. This website also included about 20 samples of Personal Statements (I think mostly American). Some were successful, some not. After reading them I knew mine just wasn't going to cut it and I ended up having to rewrite and edit tons of it.

I found the major aspects that my Personal Statement was missing was pointing out how things I had mentioned would be beneficial as a JET. Less 'I want' and more 'I can'. If you know what I mean.

I'm going to see if I can get a few experienced people on this forum to read it soon.

Jedirust
November 11th, 2013, 23:27
Sounds like you're on the right path. I've actually applied before and was accepted on the program. (Had to decline at the time for various reasons). Really, it comes down to the idea that your applying for a job. You need to sell your abilities on what you can offer the program that is unique and different. Everyone kinda wants the same things (travel, see, and experience Japan).

chwii
November 12th, 2013, 01:34
I'm impressed with how long some of you have been working on your SoP. It's making me a little nervous about mine.

I've mostly had problems with not discussing how I can contribute. The JETs on this site have been really helpful for reminding me about that. I think personally the hardest part is talking about my relevant skills and experiences without spending the whole essay just writing about myself. I want to give good examples, but I need to tie them to how this will benefit the program. Drawing all the pieces together is tricky, especially with the 2 page limit.

Aurano
November 12th, 2013, 02:07
I'm guessing you're an American/Canadian applicant with the 2 page limit? A lot of people say that the UK and US Personal Statements are not much different from each other, but I personally think they are.

The UK application specifically asks you to focus on 3 certain points, which I personally have done.

Why you are applying to JET.
What situations have you experience that required adapting to.
Methods of teaching and motivation.

After reading over some of the previous JETs Personal Statements, mostly American, it has actually confused me a little as to what I am writing is correct. Most of the Personal Statements I read don't have a structure anything like this and only touch briefly on certain points were as I have wrote about 300 to 400 words each for section 2 and 3.

A better way to describe it is I feel like I'm writing stories of situations where I have had to adapt to new environments and people, rather than hitting on lots of various little things.

TweedPawn
November 12th, 2013, 02:20
Only thing left is my SOP. ;-;

CrouchingMouse
November 12th, 2013, 03:52
I'm waiting on my references to come in and my doctor to finish filling out my health form. The application itself is more or less finished, though I did it in bits and pieces so I need to go back and make sure I didn't overlook anything. So other than making a bunch of photocopies, I guess all I need to do is write my SoP, which I'm extremely nervous about. I've never been very good at writing things about myself like this, and I've seen so much varying advice about how to write these things that I don't even know where to begin.

Jamie Solo
November 12th, 2013, 06:48
I've had my references and am almost done with my first draft of my statement. Waiting for a copy of my transcript - after paying £27!!! >.<

Other than that just need to go through the application at the weekend. Made my Mam go through all the medical questions and luckily don't need a statement off them =)

Gizmotech
November 12th, 2013, 09:22
To anyone who is getting freaked out by people who are spending MULTIPLE MONTHS writing their SoP, don't worry, ignore those nutters.

The SoP, while important, is not that difficult to write. It does not take months (or even weeks) of preparation, it does not require massive amounts of input, it just requires you to write it honestly.

For the record, I did mine in an afternoon, at the bar, probably drunk (I don't remember that many times in Uni I wasn't) and I got in. Shortlisted and in.

Oddly enough, based on my highly scientific evidence of watching applying for three years, the people who spend the most time agonizing over their SoP and application tend to be the ones on the alternate list.

Relax, get your shit done, mail it off, and have a beer.

Aurano
November 12th, 2013, 09:49

I like the way you roll! I actually just finished my personal statement this evening and I am a bit more optimistic about it. I don't suppose your interested in reading it and giving me your opinion?

jmejia019
November 12th, 2013, 09:59
I've had my references and am almost done with my first draft of my statement. Waiting for a copy of my transcript - after paying £27!!! >.<

Holy crap i hope that was for next day mail! My transcript cost me $5....shipped haha.

Amen. I wrote mine in about 2 hours with some headphones on and a jack and coke at my side. of course I still plan on some minor tinkering and editing but unless i get someone here on the forum to read it and they react completely negatively, mine is pretty much set. But thats kinda just how I am (just how some others split hairs over every detail). all through college I would routinely write 10+ page papers in a sitting or two and rarely make large changes. Not saying this isnt important and doesnt deserve close attention, but for me personally I do my best writing when in just flows out.

HorseFeathers
November 12th, 2013, 10:57
Wah! I didn't mean to freak anyone out. I am a English Major who tends to spend WAAAAAY too much time writing. It doesn't matter how long it takes you guys. Just make sure you look it over several times.

Sorry guys. I really didn't mean to imply that everyone needed to spend that much time on their SOP. I simply spent that much time because the application was making me anxious- not being up yet. You really do not need to overdo it like me.

However that writing it in two hours and then never touching again only works if you are a strong writer to begin with. While I am a strong writer, I have many typos and tangents that my work can take. So I took that extra time to look over it.

But guys when I say I took weeks on my essay I meant that I started it, put it down for several days and then came back to it. Not that I was working on it for hours upon hours. That's not what I meant at all.

Aurano
November 12th, 2013, 23:01
Calm down HorseFeathers! :^_^:

At the end of the day it is always better to spend more time on sometime and go over it again and again. Some people are able to grind out a piece of writing in one take. Others like to scrutinise the hell of their writing. Someone people probably have a lot of good information to put in to their essay so they can get away with more shabby writing. Others probably need to spruce up their essay with good writing because they don't have as much relevant information to put in.

There are a lot of angles why writing an essay can take a long time, or half an hour. I personally found over my time back in education that the more you plan an essay, or have it pre-decided in your mind, the easier it is to write.

Jamie Solo
November 13th, 2013, 02:45
Holy crap i hope that was for next day mail! My transcript cost me $5....shipped haha.

Nope.. All I was told was that it would be sent in the next 28 days... was so pissed off having to pay that much for 5 minutes of work and a like £1 to make. Made me wish I went to a different uni :P

And on the time spent - everyone has a different process. Usually I go into a piece of writing without a plan and just work at it. Then read over it/alter at certain points. But when it comes to something like this I have major writers block. I've actually put more effort into the statement at this point then I have some of my old essays haha.

CrouchingMouse
November 13th, 2013, 03:43
Definitely not planning to spend the next two weeks writing mine, lol. I wrote a crapton of papers in college and finished most within a day or two. My problem is that I procrastinate. I just need to set a time for myself to sit down and actually do it.

jmejia019
November 13th, 2013, 09:00
I meant no disrespect or anything Horsefeathers. As I said, at least for me I tend to write better when I just let it "flow out" so to speak as generally my first imagining is the best. When I go back and heavily edit things it tends to come out disjointed and inorganic. But again that's just me.

And this essay, although only 2 pages (I majored in history so a short paper for me in college was like 8 pgs, normal papers more like 15, year-end projects close to 30) it does deserve and warrant a great deal of attention (whether it be spent actually writing, or planning, or agonizing afterwards haha). I think the 2 pg limit actually makes it harder to put into decent-sounding prose all of what they ask you to answer. One thing that did take up my time writing the SoP was minimizing the amount of words I used to make the same information apparent (concentrating the paper if you will). Making each word really count. As I just explained, and as you can see from this post, my college education gave me a bit of a habit of long-winded writing haha...

imightbetheone
November 13th, 2013, 09:12
If you're still struggling with your SoP, I feel your pain.

I spent a few days just digging up everything I could find online on the guidelines and examples and advice from other people.

Frankly, there is very little good advice to be had about this particular beast.

I found ONE good SoP that I think is nearly flawless. You can read it on this page from the Aspiring and Applying archives:

Post your SOPs here: - Page 5 (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-archives/13297-post-your-sops-here-5.html)

I took some notes for my SoP over a couple of days, turned that into an outline covering the main points required by the U.S. application, then ultimately wrote it in about an hour.

I've had it reviewed by one person, will make a few changes, and have it looked over again for any glaring errors.

It seems like an extremely important part of the application from what I've read, so it's worth putting some effort into it.

HorseFeathers
November 13th, 2013, 09:41
I meant no disrespect or anything Horsefeathers. As I said, at least for me I tend to write better when I just let it "flow out" so to speak as generally my first imagining is the best. When I go back and heavily edit things it tends to come out disjointed and inorganic. But again that's just me

To each their own, I guess. :) You must have a tendency to over think your stuff while I have a tendency to do the opposite. I have to put in the extra effort or my essay will be super informal and filled with typos.

(I majored in history so a short paper for me in college was like 8 pgs, normal papers more like 15, year-end projects close to 30)

That sounds about what was average for me as well. Although I did have a class that require two 20 page stories at the end of the year including a rewrite of one of the 20 page stories. But thankfully I haven't had to write anything that extensive for years.

It seems like an extremely important part of the application from what I've read, so it's worth putting some effort into it.

I agree. You don't need to over stress it but it is what will earn you the most points. So you really do need to take some time to double and triple check it, and have just few others look over it as well.

Some people may be lucky enough to get in writing their SOP in two hours at a bar. But not everyone will be that fortunate (or that coherent while drunk).

Anyway, I've shipped off my application at long last. Got into the post office after work, 20 minutes before the post office closed, and sent it off express. It should arrive at the embassy tomorrow at noon. I'm eagerly awaiting my return slip (I paid extra to be notified when it arrives). Here's to forgetting all about the JET program until January (well aside from brushing up on my katakana).

uthinkimlost?
November 13th, 2013, 12:13
:012:

moonbeam
November 13th, 2013, 13:28
Well now that I've sat down to seriously start my application I've hit a snag. I wasn't going to say yes to any previous medical problems as they weren't ongoing or serious. However, the applications asks I've been prescribed any medication for anything and, well, I have...so I'm basically forced to get a physician's form...

I guess it's not a snag but it is one more thing to do...

Gizmotech
November 13th, 2013, 13:35
Have you been prescribed medication for an event, or as a reoccurring thing? I definitely did not mention the codine and antibiotics I was prescribed after my surgery (about a year before JET) because it wasn't any of their business.

Corvus
November 13th, 2013, 13:53
I can confirm with you that the physician's form is required only in the event of current or ongoing medical conditions and/or medication.

I called the embassy twice to confirm this, since the wording on the self-assessment suggests otherwise. They actually told me the form "needs to be updated to reflect this," so I'm guessing its confused a lot of people.

This is of course assuming you're not an ED applicant.

Edit: This information applies to the US JET application.

moonbeam
November 13th, 2013, 14:04
You called the US embassy, right?

It was just antibiotics and such, nothing for ongoing or current conditions. I'm not an ED applicant so I guess I'll just leave it blank. I just read the application and all those warnings about disqualification run through my head, you know?

jmejia019
November 13th, 2013, 16:16
yea they really get to you with that DQ stuff..... but i've called the JET office like 3 times about little stuff and they were REALLY helpful. I was totally expecting to get passed around to 8 different ppl only to be told they "cant discuss that, sir" but it they picked up on the first ring, THAT PERSON helped me, and it was painless.

grub
November 13th, 2013, 22:08
I finished my academic papers and finally started writing up my SoP. Got my x-ray done today and still waiting for one reference letter! I hope I don't get a bill in the mail for the x-ray because the doctor cited "required for overseas study" as a reason which isn't bulk billed.

Waiting for a copy of my transcript - after paying £27!!! >.<

I feel your pain... I had to order an evidence of enrolment ($25 AUD) and transcript ($30). Appalling how uni gets away with charging so much for a piece of paper (with a signature) that probably took them less then 5 minutes to search and print off. I'm applying for early departure as well, so that's another $42 for the police check. This application is making me poorer with every document required. Urgh.

grub
November 14th, 2013, 00:13
I wrote a crapton of papers in college and finished most within a day or two. My problem is that I procrastinate. I just need to set a time for myself to sit down and actually do it.

High 5! I am EXACTLY like that. I really just need to get into the mood.

chwii
November 14th, 2013, 07:17
Waiting for me last letter of rec is driving me crazy! I'm trying to use the extra time to see if I can make any improvements to my SoP, but the waiting is making me nervous...

Also, one of the people who looked over my SoP asked if "kendo" needed to be capitalized in one of my paragraphs. I figured it doesn't since I wouldn't capitalize something like football or baseball. Does that sound right?

Aurano
November 14th, 2013, 07:27
That is a bit of a brain bending question. I personally would capitalise Kendo, but I am not sure if it is 100% correct.

To me, it just seems more like it should hold the characteristics of a name, rather than a category of sport.

Jedirust
November 14th, 2013, 08:20
Please do not capitalize kendo...

Unless it's a proper name, a city, or the start of a sentence then you should leave it lowercase.

therealwindycity
November 14th, 2013, 08:21
Don't capitalize kendo.

chwii
November 14th, 2013, 08:22
Unless it's a proper name, a city, or the start of a sentence then you should leave it lowercase.

That was my thinking. I guess the person who was reading it might have thought it should be capitalized because it's a foreign word or something? Dunno.

Aurano
November 14th, 2013, 09:25
Like I previously said, it's a funny one to determine. But it seems like more people are inclined not to capitalise it.

chwii
November 14th, 2013, 11:42
Eh, well I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'm sure they won't throw out my SoP over how I write it.

Hehe, like I said, this application process is making me just a tiny bit crazy.

Oli0
November 15th, 2013, 02:15
Need to sit down and sort out the statement of purpose over the next week... also, frustratingly waiting for one of my references to actually confirm that he's able to write it, worried that he won't be able to by next week and I don't really know who else to ask. Apart from that, most of my application is more or less sorted.

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 08:59
Well I have now pretty much finished my application. Just need to stick it in a envelope and take it to the post office!

Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed we all at least make it to the interview stage.

MinisterDM
November 15th, 2013, 10:09
I have my SOP being reviewed by people here at ITIL, English major friends of mine, and one of my profs. I have one reference in, waiting on the other. Besides that, everything is in and ready to be mailed. I spent the month of October getting everything I could together so it wouldn't be a mad dash to get stuff now. Here's hoping I make it!

chwii
November 15th, 2013, 10:10
Well I have now pretty much finished my application. Just need to stick it in a envelope and take it to the post office!

Must be nice to finally be done with everything!

My app's done too, but I'm still waiting for my letter of rec to get here. The person who wrote it for me said she'd have it in the mail by last week Friday or Saturday but it still hasn't arrived (perhaps because Monday was a holiday?) Pretty annoying. I hope it gets here by tomorrow...

Aurano
November 15th, 2013, 10:48
Yeah it's nice having the app done, but I do feel kind of paranoid that I have missed something. Going to double check everything tomorrow before I seal the envelope.

Waiting for something to come in the post would drive me bat shit crazy. Lucky for me the 2 teachers from my university who gave me my references just said come back next week, and when I did I practically watched them sign it, put it in the envelope and do all necessary requirements. Though I am not really sure what the people who review my application will think of the references, they are pretty standard references you'd expect in any regular job. Not really so much tailored towards JET.

TweedPawn
November 16th, 2013, 03:04
I had to take a few days off because of an oral surgery. Luckily, everything is done except for my SOP. Just beautifying the word flow and nitpicking it like hell at this point. >_>

PaddyPakku
November 16th, 2013, 21:16
Should I attach small attach small post-it notes to each of my application packs? e.g. Application Pack 1, Application Pack 2...etc

Gizmotech
November 16th, 2013, 21:35
Does it ask you to? If it does, do it. IF it doesn't, don't.

This is a skill that will help you if and or when you get to Japan.

Aurano
November 17th, 2013, 00:18
I considered doing that as well Paddy. To be honest, I'm a little worried because all my application is in black and white, and the only way to determine which one is Set 1 is by the holes in the top of the transcript where a staple used to be. My transcript doesn't have a university logo on and is just black and white, as is the stamp and signature to authenticate it. So obviously the photocopies look practically identical to the original.

I'm starting to wish I through in a little note to explain that now. Oh well, it's too late now!

Shincantsen
November 17th, 2013, 04:07
The people reviewing your application are not children. There's no need for post-it's.

Aurano
November 17th, 2013, 05:20
Common sense isn't a substitute for patience.

Jamie Solo
November 18th, 2013, 05:59
I've been working through the actual application today. My session timed out at one point though and even though I clicked save, I lost stuff. It was a good thing I remembered what I'd written down/had it in MS Word.

Moral - remember to click save often! :P

imightbetheone
November 18th, 2013, 06:13
I submitted the online application today. I'm confident I have everything in order, but I'm still waiting on both of my letters of recommendation. I hope they arrive in time.

HorseFeathers
November 19th, 2013, 10:36
I just got my confirmation card today. My application arrived at the embassy. But I also got an email informing me that the application due date was pushed back to Dec 3rd. I thought the due date was a pretty set thing. I wonder what made them push it back... But whatever the case, my card said that those chosen to interview's numbers will be posted in early February.

Corvus
November 19th, 2013, 11:39
What does your confirmation card say, exactly? Is this what they send you back in your self-addressed envelope?

MinisterDM
November 19th, 2013, 11:48
All I have left is my SOP, and I am now rewriting some of it. Pretty glad that the deadline was pushed back. Now just gotta get my SOP in order to ship and I am done!! Of course, now begins my nervousness as I deal with my SOP and end of semester papers/tests...

epikzwei
November 19th, 2013, 13:48
Submitted my application today. Then one hour later, I find out the deadline's been extended.... If I'd found out earlier, I might've spent a bit more time tweaking my SoP. Ah well, can't do anything about it now.

HorseFeathers
November 19th, 2013, 13:52
What does your confirmation card say, exactly? Is this what they send you back in your self-addressed envelope?

Yup. It's a little piece of paper that says that it arrived at the embassy and is being filed and processed. It also lists your application number and tells you not to lose the paper. And under that it lists their twitter feed and online site where you can check the interview applications accepted, and says check this website in early February.

PaddyPakku
November 19th, 2013, 21:24
How have most people written their Personal Statements/SOP's? The more I read mine, the more I feel that it's a little too formal. Also, a huge difference between the US and the UK requirements seems to be that the US requirements want you to talk more about yourself, and much less of a rigid structure.

moonbeam
November 19th, 2013, 21:46
Well you definitely don't want it to be informal. It's a job application, so you at least need to be professional. It might seem like the US requirements are less rigid but there are a lot of points it wants us to hit and fitting those into two pages, while also appearing professional and competent, is a bit tricky.

grub
November 19th, 2013, 23:08
I'm currently editing my SoP based on feedback I've received from a couple of people on ITIL. I'm just waiting for my transcript to arrive any day now. I will make copies and get most things certified tomorrow.

Horsefeathers, for the confirmation card, did you use a stamped unsealed/sealed envelope or did you use a stamped postcard?

By the way if there is anyone from Australia applying that does not want to be ripped off by businesses charging exorbitant amounts of money on certifying documents (post office near my house wanted $5 per sheet!!), find a Justice of Peace person near you. They are supposed to do it for free. They should be located in police stations, council offices, courts or even local libraries.

I hope they arrive in time.

Good luck! I had my last one arrive the end of last week, but the person who wrote it for me forgot to sign it. Luckily I received the same one from him a couple of months ago so I think I will just use that instead.

Aurano
November 19th, 2013, 23:36
The way I wrote my Personal Statement was actually quite simple. I stuck to the standard UK criteria of course.

For each section I thought long and hard about what I wanted to mention, and wrote down some key points. Then I took each point and wrote a brief sentence about why it would make me a good candidate, and how it could be useful as a JET. I then expanded on these ideas and worded them to the best of my abilities in the Personal Statement.

General Statement -> Reasons -> Because/Relate to JET Programme
Adaptation -> Experiences -> Skills learnt/experience gained/And how they would be beneficial
Teaching -> Experience/Ideas -> Why these ideas? How are they beneficial?

Ultimately though, the structure, grammar, and spelling is only half the battle. A Personal Statement might be some next level shit in terms of literacy skills, but if the content isn't very valuable then it won't matter how well it is written.

gengo398
November 20th, 2013, 03:09
I sent mine in on Friday and it was received yesterday......and now the waiting begins.

Moso
November 20th, 2013, 06:20
Got my references, got a call from my doctor saying the statement of physician is done, so all I've got left to do now is finishing touches on my personal statement!

grub
November 21st, 2013, 08:24
Whilst it doesn't mention anything about JET, it covers the skills I've shown during my internship as a tertiary student assistant to the Japanese program at a local high school. It mentions stuff like teaching, knowledge of Japanese culture etc. which I think is relevant enough to JET. I won't be able to ask him to redo one because he is really busy...

I'm applying from Australia, so as far as I am concerned (unless I missed something huge) there has been no reference to leave the reference in a sealed envelope with a signature across the top. I need to take it out to make photocopies anyway.

My deadline is on the 29th! So lucky you US applicants got an extension!

not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but just be sure the reference is specifically written for the JET program. As far as the US guidelines go, I believe they say a generic ref is not acceptable, that it has to be written for JET. Is the one from a few months ago for JET? (like, does you reference from a couple months ago mention 'grub would make a great JET, etc' or was it for a different job?) You might be better off getting the envelope signed if you can, esp since the deadline has been extended.

just don't want you to unwittingly make a mistake XD

Aurano
November 21st, 2013, 09:22
I'm a little worried about my references really. They are good references but not completely tailored to the JET Programme. I just hope they cut it!

Nell
November 21st, 2013, 19:33
I would be ready to send mine off except my advisor took her reference back to make photocopies as she only put one in the envelope and I haven't heard from her since Monday... would've liked to have sent my app off by tomorrow but I guess that probably won't be happening til at least Monday!

grub
November 21st, 2013, 20:13
I'm a little worried about my references really. They are good references but not completely tailored to the JET Programme. I just hope they cut it!

Yeah this makes me worry too now, but I have one that's tailored for JET though...

Jedirust
November 21st, 2013, 23:20
Done and sent. See you all at the interviews!

PaddyPakku
November 22nd, 2013, 00:11
Hand delivered mine to the embassy this afternoon. Despite checking my application 100 times over...this morning...I get the nagging feeling like I've done something wrong.
Did anybody here include or plan on including certificates for all their achievements? And what type of certificates?

Aurano
November 22nd, 2013, 00:32
I got the same feeling when I sent mine. Did I sign everything? Did I include everything? Was there a rogue spelling mistake that I missed? At the end of the day, it's been sent now so no point in worrying! :)

I did include a photocopy of a certificate I got for doing a 'Beginners Japanese' course I did at college. Mostly just to verify what I had said in my personal statement and put down on my application. No point in saying something if you can't prove it right?

MinisterDM
November 22nd, 2013, 00:40
Gonna send mine in hopefully either this weekend or next monday on express mail. I am having to really overhaul the first half of my SOP. Almost everyone that read it suggested I do so. I figured if they see its not well written there, then it probably isn't well written there lol.

After that, I will send it in and be done!

Aurano
November 22nd, 2013, 00:49
I actually found the first part of the essays the most difficult as well. I re-wrote it quite a few times. Just keep going over it, read it out loud to yourself, and get others to read it as well. Over time you will weed out all the imperfections.

PaddyPakku
November 22nd, 2013, 07:20
I just received an email from JET saying they need more information for any check-ups I'll need if I'm accepted into the programme. FML!!!

"Just when I thought I was done with the application, they pull me back in!"

Aurano
November 22nd, 2013, 07:43
Ah that sounds like a ball ache! Well look on the bright side, at least you know they are looking through your application and taking notes. :D

I got my 'Application Received' postcard back today so I know it's in their hands! I just hope they haven't binned it yet!... hah!

PaddyPakku
November 22nd, 2013, 07:52
My heart almost sank when I saw the email from JET, with the subject line "INCOMPLETE APPLICATION". As far as I'm aware though, they don't usually email you, telling you something is missing right? I thought they'd just bin your application there and then.

And thank god I still have a week left until the deadline. If I had handed it in on deadline day, I would have been F*CKED.

uthinkimlost?
November 22nd, 2013, 08:37
My heart almost sank when I saw the email from JET, with the subject line "INCOMPLETE APPLICATION". As far as I'm aware though, they don't usually email you, telling you something is missing right? I thought they'd just bin your application there and then.

And thank god I still have a week left until the deadline. If I had handed it in on deadline day, I would have been F*CKED.

It sounds like there was nothing missing, and they just need to clarify your medical needs. Them contacting you likely isn't good or bad. It just is.

Corvus
November 22nd, 2013, 08:41
Paddy I'm curious if you received your confirmation card in the mail before this?

Like most of you I'm hyperventilating thinking maybe I missed something or what. Would be good to know if once you've received the card you app has passed any preliminary/incomplete checks.

PaddyPakku
November 22nd, 2013, 09:01
I hand delivered my application this afternoon, so I haven't received my self addressed postcard yet. Since they emailed me though, I know they've received it.

Oli0
November 22nd, 2013, 09:11
I'm mostly worried that there will be some problem with me putting N/A for all the medical questions and not getting a statement of physician :|

Aurano
November 22nd, 2013, 09:59
I'm mostly worried that there will be some problem with me putting N/A for all the medical questions and not getting a statement of physician :|

I put N/A for all my medical questions as well. I got my SoP signed and then found out I didn't need to. If you put N/A for everything then just leave the SoP blank.

Oli0
November 22nd, 2013, 10:12
I put N/A for all my medical questions as well. I got my SoP signed and then found out I didn't need to. If you put N/A for everything then just leave the SoP blank.

I know, but I had a medical condition as a baby which hasn't affected me since. Just hoping this doesn't create a problem...

Aurano
November 22nd, 2013, 10:23
I know, but I had a medical condition as a baby which hasn't affected me since. Just hoping this doesn't create a problem...

So did I. I had quite a few medical conditions in the first 8 to 10 years of my life, but were quickly treated. I'm now 29 and they have never bothered me since, and probably never will. I think the self assessment medical form is for things that are on going that you will need prescription drugs for, or the occasional visit to the doctors or hospital.

I'm in perfectly good health and there is nothing wrong with me. So if they were to disqualify my application for things that happened to me 20 years ago, regardless of the fact that I am fine, then they should reconsider the guidelines of their application.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Oli0
November 22nd, 2013, 11:12
Thanks, I'll stop worrying so much! Got to get everything sent off by tomorrow, will be nice to have it all done!

TweedPawn
November 22nd, 2013, 16:53
Everything sent this morning! I even managed to get my paperwork finished to qualify for Early Departure!

Aurano
November 25th, 2013, 02:16
Anyone else noticed the aspiring part of the forum has died down a lot since the application deadline is approaching? Guess everyone's fingers are crossed so they are unable to type. ;)

Jamie Solo
November 25th, 2013, 02:43
Haha! I'm not quite there yet :P

About to start all the photocopying etc. Then just want to have a last read through my statement and application before I set it in stone. So Tuesday is when my fingers will be too busy ;)

TweedPawn
November 25th, 2013, 02:44
Hahaha. I think everyone is making those last minute revisions. I just realized that my doctor was sloppy in filling out the Certificate of Health form. I got it done so I could qualify for Earl Departure. He marked the important boxes ("yes. she is adequate to go to Japan) and included the results of my TB test. But it occurred to me that he wrote down "already done" for my eye exam and didn't include the results.

Everything else in my application is perfect though. Considering it's the Certificate of Health, I could maybe redo it and send that in? Is it that big of a deal to stress over since everything else is perfect? DX

CrouchingMouse
November 25th, 2013, 07:57
Finally wrote my SoP so I'm just waiting for one last reference letter. Hopefully I can mail it out by Tuesday so I don't have to pay boatloads of money to get it there on time.

Illuria
November 25th, 2013, 23:37
Just printed out my application form, need to photocopy all the important documents and make some last-minute revisions to my Personal Statement but I'll hopefully be mailing it tomorrow. I'll be sending it first class though just because of how nervous I am haha

Nell
November 26th, 2013, 02:39
Handed mine in an hour ago wooooo!
Shit just got real... (ish)

grub
November 26th, 2013, 07:45
I sent my application in yesterday morning! Fingers crossed we all make it to the interview stage!

Aurano
November 26th, 2013, 10:19
I sent my application in yesterday morning! Fingers crossed we all make it to the interview stage!

Amen to that!

par92186
November 26th, 2013, 11:13
I had my parents mail my application packet out last Thursday because I'm applying from Busan, South Korea. This whole application process has been a serious pain in the butt by living overseas. Still extremely paranoid that I missed a minor detail (I've actually had dreams I had forgot to sign or include something haha). Now to play the waiting game. Good luck everyone!

Moso
November 27th, 2013, 01:48
I sent mine out on Friday and got my self-addressed envelope back today! Now it's just a waiting game, eek.

shipman
November 27th, 2013, 04:14
I just sent mine off, i had to let it go or else i would gone mad constantly rereading my sop. On the upside i have a lot of schoolwork that i have been neglecting to catch up on so at least i have something to keep me busy while i wait.

TweedPawn
November 27th, 2013, 05:08
USPS confirmed my application was delivered right on scheduled! Still not going to stop worrying until JET mails me that sweet confirmation card that tells me they got my app. ;-;

Valkerion
November 27th, 2013, 12:57
I just sent mine off, i had to let it go or else i would gone mad constantly rereading my sop. On the upside i have a lot of schoolwork that i have been neglecting to catch up on so at least i have something to keep me busy while i wait.

Haha same here!

About to send my tomorrow afternoon. My last recommendation letter was done by my awesome but amazingly unreliable for anything with a time table, dpt. head. He got it to me Monday... after I was fuming all weekend about it taking so long after telling him a month ago. Rewrote a completely different SoP after getting some terrible advice and am kinda satisfied with it since its more on track (sorry people of this site who got my terrible first draft, it was derp as all hell.) Just going to run through it one more time tomorrow morning and send it off.

Only got one question, now that I'm looking through the packet again, should I be using N/A, N, or leaving stuff blank in fields where they do not specify? I know they go from N/A to N to "leave blank" a few times in the USA app. Just want to be 100% sure.

par92186
November 27th, 2013, 15:26
Only got one question, now that I'm looking through the packet again, should I be using N/A, N, or leaving stuff blank in fields where they do not specify? I know they go from N/A to N to "leave blank" a few times in the USA app. Just want to be 100% sure.[/QUOTE]

I was told by a few former JET's and also the Consulate to use N/A for any answers to application questions that do not apply to you. Good luck!

epikzwei
November 27th, 2013, 16:45
My application arrived in DC last Thursday but I haven't gotten my confirmation card yet. >__<; Hopefully it's on its way! (I'm sure it is.)

TweedPawn, when was yours delivered?

Jamie Solo
November 27th, 2013, 23:00
Posted mine earlier and should arrive tomorrow! =D

Weighed in at over 500g too!

And now the waiting game...

imightbetheone
November 27th, 2013, 23:06
My application was finally posted today. My closest advisor from college kind of dropped the ball on getting her letter of recommendation to me on time, so that had to be sent in separately. Not ideal, but it's a relief for it to be out of my hands now. Wishing everyone the best.

Shincantsen
November 28th, 2013, 00:02
My application arrived in DC last Thursday but I haven't gotten my confirmation card yet. >__<; Hopefully it's on its way! (I'm sure it is.)

TweedPawn, when was yours delivered?

The confirmation cards are not always send out on a first-come first-served basis. Don't worry about it.

PaddyPakku
November 28th, 2013, 05:11
My application was finally posted today. My closest advisor from college kind of dropped the ball on getting her letter of recommendation to me on time, so that had to be sent in separately. Not ideal, but it's a relief for it to be out of my hands now. Wishing everyone the best.
Are you sure you can do that? I was under the impresion that it should all be sent together...

imightbetheone
November 28th, 2013, 05:27
They recommend sending it all in one package, but the US FAQ says it doesn't disqualify you to send in materials separately.

Aurano
November 28th, 2013, 06:50
I've cracked out my Minna no Nihon-go books lately to get the old Kana flowing again. I decided, if I get an interview I want to be as prepared as possible for it!

:)

CrouchingMouse
November 28th, 2013, 10:35
I finally got all my stuff together and dropped it off at the UPS store this evening (just shy of closing time before Thanksgiving weekend...). They told me it'll be sent off Saturday though, and should arrive Tuesday morning. I'm relieved in a way, but I won't be able to relax completely until I get that confirmation card.

epikzwei
November 28th, 2013, 12:07
The confirmation cards are not always send out on a first-come first-served basis. Don't worry about it.
Yeah, I figured, but I was just wondering. My half-sheet actually arrived today. :D Another plus for the week, in addition to working all alone tomorrow and having the whole office to myself, woohoo!

TweedPawn
November 28th, 2013, 12:19
USPS said that my application arrived on the 22nd (Friday). So I'm thinking that because I live in a kinda rural area, that my mail gets sent to New Orleans first and THEN back tracks to where I live an hour away. >_<

Illuria
November 28th, 2013, 19:13
Oh god now I'm panicking since I can't completely remember signing all the application forms I put in the pack. I think I did but I'm not 100% sure and now I'm panicking. I'm pretty certain I signed at least one so they could photocopy that if needs be, but I'm more thinking if I haven't signed all of them they'll just chuck the application. Ugh curse me for being way too excited to send it and not double and triple-checking it all =(

Aurano
November 28th, 2013, 22:59
Oh god now I'm panicking since I can't completely remember signing all the application forms I put in the pack. I think I did but I'm not 100% sure and now I'm panicking. I'm pretty certain I signed at least one so they could photocopy that if needs be, but I'm more thinking if I haven't signed all of them they'll just chuck the application. Ugh curse me for being way too excited to send it and not double and triple-checking it all =(

I'm pretty sure I said this to someone else as well. But I think everyone has that feeling after they sent it. I sure as hell did! :)

johnny
November 28th, 2013, 23:41
Be thankful you guys applied this year. There have been announcements that GEPIK in Korea is halving their the number of NET's (native English teachers). Next year competition might be pretty fierce in spite of JET increasing its hiring numbers.

Illuria
November 29th, 2013, 00:04
Be thankful you guys applied this year. There have been announcements that GEPIK in Korea is halving their the number of NET's (native English teachers). Next year competition might be pretty fierce in spite of JET increasing its hiring numbers.

Which makes me even more nervous that I've managed to fuck up this year's application in some way.

Nell
November 29th, 2013, 01:50
Maybe you could email them?
I had a panic because I printed off the entire online application form 4 times and sent it like that then realised it only said it was optional for Application 1. But then don't they need all the signed bits that go with the whole form? So I'm just gonna hope that I've done it right!

Aurano
November 29th, 2013, 02:26
I sent off an application with Set 1 as well Nell. I was a little bit concerned because they may consider that I didn't read the instructions properly, but considering it says it's optional I don't think it really matters. I think they would just print off your on-line application anyway and attach it to set one. So really you're just saving them the effort and paper.

Jamie Solo
November 29th, 2013, 02:39
I figured the same thing with application set 1.

And my application arrived at the Embassy this morning so I've done my part. Just hope they make the right choice now! ;)

Oli0
November 29th, 2013, 05:53
All four of my sets were identical as I had several original transcripts and included the application form in Set 1 even though it was optional.

TweedPawn
November 29th, 2013, 09:12
I had someone else double check with me to make sure I had the correct number of copies and signatures that I needed. I also made digital copies of EVERYTHING. Just in case. I love having a scanner.

Gizmotech
November 29th, 2013, 09:28
I had someone else double check with me to make sure I had the correct number of copies and signatures that I needed. I also made digital copies of EVERYTHING. Just in case. I love having a scanner.

This is not a bad idea, though I imagine people didn't think of it before hand. This idea is even more awesome if you get accepted, so you have a digital store of all your documentation and ID. Nothing worse than losing something, not knowing the numbers for it, and having to get it replaced. Atleast if you have a digital copy, you can reprint it which makes reacquiring easier.

Trini
November 29th, 2013, 09:28
I hand delivered my app today… I was told to leave it with the guard at the front entrance. Standing behind the super high fence, the embassy looked so sombre and unapproachable. I hope that's not a sign...

MinisterDM
November 30th, 2013, 00:42
Sent mine in just now. Paid a ton of money for priority delivery through UPS. I double, triple, quadriple checked everything. Revised my SOP like 3 times. Now, I am in God's hands. Good luck everyone!!

TweedPawn
November 30th, 2013, 04:06
I got my confirmation card today! :D

Now the REAL worry begins!

Nell
November 30th, 2013, 04:15
I got mine today too :) now just gonna forget about everything until next year!

Wasabi
November 30th, 2013, 14:00
I sent my application off this afternoon. It only cost me $20 and it'll be there by tomorrow at noon. I ended up re-using a good chunk of my SoP from last year because it seemed really strong. Last year I thought it was complete bull, go figure. Now to sit it out for two months :) let the games begin!

grub
November 30th, 2013, 16:50
according to auspost my application arrived on thursday afternoon. hopefully i'll get my confirmation card back soon.

let the games begin!

and may the odds be ever in your favour.

good luck everybody!

TweedPawn
December 1st, 2013, 03:09
I think we should make a thread where we all pick up a new hobby and see how we progress in it together. Any ideas?

zombiekelly
December 1st, 2013, 14:43
The lounge is open...

moonbeam
December 1st, 2013, 20:30
Finally shipped off my application. I triple checked it and even had my boyfriend look over everything so I know I didn't forget anything. Still can't shake the feeling that I did though...oh well, it's a relief to see it go.

AVN
December 1st, 2013, 21:19
With more and more of you posting that your application is complete, I have one piece of advice for you:
Get off the forums!!
Go enjoy the holiday season in whatever way you do and forget about JET.
There's nothing else you can do until the interviews come out, so get out of here.

Jamie Solo
December 1st, 2013, 23:19
The lounge is open...

I like the lounge. I especially like it when Ini replies to BJ's posts. Never fails to make me laugh!

johnny
December 2nd, 2013, 08:35
Hey, I like the forums. I enjoy reliving last year's excitement vicariously through the new applicants. :D

therealwindycity
December 2nd, 2013, 08:35
And thinking "thank god I never have to go through that application process again."

Gizmotech
December 2nd, 2013, 09:11
And thinking "thank god I never have to go through that application process again."

I must be the only person who didn't give two rat farts about the application. I did it in a day, got my papers together and submitted it. I really don't get all this stress to be honest.

But then I live my life by a simple motto: I'm awesome, so it doesn't really matter.

Jiggit
December 2nd, 2013, 09:37
But then I live my life by a simple motto: I'm awesome

Are you sure you aren't just very easily impressed?

johnny
December 2nd, 2013, 10:07
I must be the only person who didn't give two rat farts about the application. I did it in a day, got my papers together and submitted it. I really don't get all this stress to be honest.

But then I live my life by a simple motto: I'm awesome, so it doesn't really matter.

I had a buddy double check my SOP, other than that I wasn't very stressed either. TBH, I didn't expect to get an interview so it really didn't matter. Wen I got the interview, I thought "great!", but didn't stress too much at all. I still loved my job at the time (and miss it now) and was certain that I wouldn't make it despite the invitation to be interviewed, so I didn't get stressed at that time either... until the day before the interview. I must have had four cigarettes in the half-hour before the interview, and that's my top limit for the day.

One hint, if you claimed to have minimal knowledge of Japanese, know your Hiragana and Katakana!

shipman
December 3rd, 2013, 04:58
i've been a little on edge since i found out that embassy was closed friday and my package seemed to be returned back to the PO according to my tracking info. I tried rescheduling a redelivery for today but haven't seen anything on my new tracking info. Just looked on facebook to see this which makes me a little bit at ease:

Due to the volume of applications, USPS does not scan individual tracking labels resulting in a message that delivery was attempted and the package was returned. This is in fact not the case. Staff were available at the Embassy throughout the holiday period and the weekend to receive packages. The JET Program Office removes these tracking labels and returns them to USPS which are then scanned into the system. You should see the tracking information update within the next day or so. We apologize for this inconvenience, but it is USPS policy which leads to this issue.

Catastrophe
December 3rd, 2013, 06:12
I'm in the same boat as you shipman. My package got there on Friday and my tracking says that "a note has been left" and I'm wondering if that's considered "received". I have emailed the embassy asking that very question here is the response I received;

Because the Embassy was closed on Friday, we received accumulated applications this morning. I would believe your application is one of them. Due to the volume of applications, USPS doesn’t scan individual tracking numbers when applications are delivered. Instead, the JET Program Office removes tracking sheets and send them back to USPS so that they can scan later on into the system. You should see the tracking information update within the next day or so. We apologize for this inconvenience, but it is USPS policy which leads to this issue.

It sounds like the applications that were delivered to the embassy when it was closed during the holiday were re-delivered Monday morning. It seems due to certain USPS policy our tracking is not immediately updated (let's hope it update today/tomorrow so we can stop relax).

Btw I think the re-delivery option is for recipient not sender. I think we're both just getting stressed out for nothing.

shipman
December 3rd, 2013, 08:39
yeah i thought only the recipient could do re-delivery also but when i finally got through to somebody from usps he set it up for me or at least appeared to. It doesn't matter too much now because its looks like they already had it at the time i was trying to schedule a re-delivery just wasn't updated. Definitely hope it gets updated soon. I'm already on edge due to finals.

CrouchingMouse
December 4th, 2013, 01:28
I just got confirmation from UPS that my application was delivered...*phew*. Now to wait for the JET confirmation card! More waiting, yay~

jmejia019
December 5th, 2013, 10:08
I know I'm adding on late to this but i got confirmation YESTERDAY (the deadline for US applications) that my app delivered MONDAY. I was sweating hard though until I got that confirmation.....I was gonna be pissed if after everything my app didnt make it on time.....

Antonath
December 5th, 2013, 10:16
I don't know about this year, and different countries may have different rules, but when I applied the rule was that as long as the package was dated before the deadline, it didn't matter if it arrived after. You did your bit, and they didn't hold you responsible for the postal service sucking.

jmejia019
December 6th, 2013, 09:10
This year's US application specifically states that the deadline when the app must be received at the embassy, not postmarked. luckily mine arrived a whole day ahead of the deadline :). course i didnt know that until the day of the deadline so i was freaking haha.

moshimoshi
December 6th, 2013, 09:56
Omg I still haven't received a confirmation. Full on panic mode. It was delivered Nov 25. :'(

Jurassyk
December 6th, 2013, 22:19
I have yet to receive my confirmation card as well; however, I assume that, as there are thousands of applications that poured into the embassy in the final few days of the application period, it will be a few weeks before everyone has received their cards. Doesn't make me sweat any less, though.

Jedirust
December 6th, 2013, 22:53
I received my confirmation card on November 18th. I submitted early though.

Shincantsen
December 6th, 2013, 23:52
Again, confirmation cards are not always send out first-come first-served. There are various reasons your card may not have been sent out. If your app was confirmed delivered, don't worry about it.

mothy
December 7th, 2013, 00:11

I was pretty much the same way about the application process.

But then I live my life by a simple motto: It's all shit, so it doesn't really matter.

therealwindycity
December 7th, 2013, 18:54
Oh yeah me too I threw my app together in 5 minutes between classes while drunk; soooo not a big deal I don't even know why you guys are stressing about it

PaddyPakku
December 7th, 2013, 19:46
We're stressing about it because it's a highly competitive application, and as hard as it may be to believe, some of us actually wish to compose our application in the most effective way possible.
The JETs on ITIL all composed their application in 2 minutes, while juggling 5 balls at a time and doing a handstand? Well good for you. But it doesn't help anybody to criticise those that care about their applications.

word
December 7th, 2013, 20:02
I totally gave a sh*t, went through multiple versions of my SoP, sent it next-day air, and generally stressed about it a great deal. Different strokes an' all. No worries, man.

Nell
December 7th, 2013, 20:39
We're stressing about it because it's a highly competitive application, and as hard as it may be to believe, some of us actually wish to compose our application in the most effective way possible.
The JETs on ITIL all composed their application in 2 minutes, while juggling 5 balls at a time and doing a handstand? Well good for you. But it doesn't help anybody to criticise those that care about their applications.

Yep, I actually care about whether I get on JET or not so thought it wouldn't hurt to put a little effort into making sure my app was spick and span.

uthinkimlost?
December 7th, 2013, 22:20
While some people may have exaggerated, here are two things two keep in mind:

1) a 10%chance at a job is exceptional. JET isn't all that competitive when compared to other positions.

2) you should give JET the same amount of effort you would give any potential good job. Any more than that is unhealthy.

Gizmotech
December 7th, 2013, 22:23

I don't think we're trying to say we're awesome like that (hell being able to do a handstand would be awesome. Nevermind juggling :p) I was just saying I don't understand the stressing is all, while awesome jet isn't the end all of Japan :D

Aurano
December 7th, 2013, 23:02
I think it boils down to quantity over quality. I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere else, but someone with a lot to say, or has a lot of credentials, probably just spends less time knit picking at the application. Those with less experience and such, like yours truly, spend a lot of time refining everything and making sure it comes across as purposefully as possible.

Polishing a turd, so to speak. Then again, I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but I think it would certainly explain some scenarios.

CrouchingMouse
December 8th, 2013, 00:00
Or it could be that some people are more prone to worrying about things like this than others. I spent a lot of time putting mine together carefully and obsessing a bit over details because I'd do the same for any job application. I like making sure I have all my ducks in a row. Other people will stress about it less. Personality differences, I figure.

coop52
December 8th, 2013, 12:43
I didn't stress too much about my app mostly because I had other, more pressing things to stress about at the time, mainly my 60+ page senior thesis paper. At least having other stuff to worry about kept me busy so I didn't freak out between the app and interview and the interview and acceptance letter.

Catastrophe
December 8th, 2013, 13:30
It's a pretty involved application for a job that "you don't give a shit about". Usually if a job requires more than sending a resume I ignore it or just send a resume and ignore the rest of the requirements. Let's not forget JET program is more than just a job (at least it is for me).

Btw I just checked my tracking and I was relieved to find out that the package has indeed made it on Monday (actually it was Friday for me but my tracking said that a note was left at the embassy). Shitty part is that I never got email notification for delivery so I was stressing out about it. If anyone is still not sure about their package status and had tracking, go check tracking yourself because I don't think email confirmation will ever come.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2013, 14:54
If you're so stressed about it maybe you're too highly strung to survive in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Catastrophe
December 8th, 2013, 16:43
I had interview that same day (funny enough an hour before deadline for application) and I could give 2 shits if I got that job or not.

I guess its a crazy concept to expect tracking to work like it suppose to and update real time.

Does tracking on packages update few days later in Japan? If so I'll stay away from shopping online while there....

AVN
December 8th, 2013, 17:48
Actually, it'll be at your house before you can even begin to wonder about shipping for most of the country (read one day or less). Maybe a day longer if you live on one of the islands.
This application is important, but now it's over, get off of here and enjoy life for awhile. Don't get caught up in stress on here.

dlbman22
December 11th, 2013, 08:54
Hey everyone! I'm new to the thread. Just letting you guys know that I got my confirmation card in the mail today. So this means that nothing was messed up in my application, right?

Also, I just looked over my copy of my SoP and found about 2 typos. Should that be enough to worry about my application possibly getting disqualified?

Gizmotech
December 11th, 2013, 10:36
Actually, it'll be at your house before you can even begin to wonder about shipping for most of the country (read one day or less). Maybe a day longer if you live on one of the islands.
This application is important, but now it's over, get off of here and enjoy life for awhile. Don't get caught up in stress on here.

Word. Shipping in japan is so reliable that you don't need tracking. Shit gets there exactly when they say it will.

Shincantsen
December 12th, 2013, 00:37
Hey everyone! I'm new to the thread. Just letting you guys know that I got my confirmation card in the mail today. So this means that nothing was messed up in my application, right?

Also, I just looked over my copy of my SoP and found about 2 typos. Should that be enough to worry about my application possibly getting disqualified?

The confirmation card just means your application arrived at the embassy. It doesn't mean anything about the completeness or correctness of your application.

And no, that won't disqualify you.

Jurassyk
December 12th, 2013, 01:41
Thank you to those who have answered some questions/provided useful anecdotes.

I had a question: I know they have thousands of applications to go through, and I know they aren't always returned on an "in order received" fashion, but does anyone have a ballpark estimate in terms of time between application arriving at the Embassy and the applicant receiving the confirmation cards? Aka, is anyone else still waiting on their confirmation card?

CrouchingMouse
December 12th, 2013, 01:47
Still waiting on mine; my application was delivered last Tuesday. It'd be nice if they could send an email confirmation for the physical app like they do with the online one.

dlbman22
December 12th, 2013, 03:34
The confirmation card just means your application arrived at the embassy. It doesn't mean anything about the completeness or correctness of your application.

And no, that won't disqualify you.

So what you're telling me is, there's a chance?

Shincantsen
December 12th, 2013, 04:54
So what you're telling me is, there's a chance?

Sure. If they DQ'd everyone who had a typo, there would be no applications left.

dlbman22
December 12th, 2013, 06:16
Sure. If they DQ'd everyone who had a typo, there would be no applications left.

You don't know how much reassurance that gave me :^_^:. Do you remember if you had any typos of your own on your SoP?

PaddyPakku
December 12th, 2013, 07:08
Not to brag, but except mine too. I still go back just to re-read it and make sure.
Micro$oft word spell check baby!!!

dlbman22
December 12th, 2013, 11:54
Not to brag, but except mine too. I still go back just to re-read it and make sure.
Micro$oft word spell check baby!!!

It wasn't spelling, though. I was more of having a definite article that I forgot to delete, and cutting a part in my final sentence that I meant to paste later. Like the rug in The Big Lebowski, it would've tied the whole sentence together.

Except mine, because I'm just that awesome!

So you're saying you're in JET even though you had typos?

Aurano
December 12th, 2013, 12:07
Like the rug in The Big Lebowski, it would've tied the whole sentence together.

Yeah? Well, ya know, that's just like eer.... your opinion maaaaaan...

;)

PaddyPakku
December 12th, 2013, 12:13
Oh right...although I've heard of many JETs that had typos or spelling mistakes in their application that were still offered interviews. In fact, I recall reading a post where the interviewee was called out on her spelling mistakes, and instead of explaining it, she pointed out even more that they didn't notice. My guess is that as long as your SOP/PS has answered the relevant points and is constructed effectively, they won't mind minor spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Also, I believe Eminate applied this year too.

Aurano
December 12th, 2013, 12:29
Oh right...although I've heard of many JETs that had typos or spelling mistakes in their application that were still offered interviews. In fact, I recall reading a post where the interviewee was called out on her spelling mistakes, and instead of explaining it, she pointed out even more that they didn't notice. My guess is that as long as your SOP/PS has answered the relevant points and is constructed effectively, they won't mind minor spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Also, I believe Eminate applied this year too.

Well spelling and grammar mistakes are only human at the end of the day. I think the idea is to reflect dedication and enthusiasm to the application process by showing that you are willing to weed out errors.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure that the people reading the Personal Statements have a good grasp of English, but maybe not extensive. A lot of people don't understand the uses of grammatical tools like the dash (-) or the Semi-colon ( ; ), or maybe even confused on certain words that they might consider to be capitalised or not. I remember someone on this forum asking if Kendo should be capitalised, and there was a lot of debate around it (Kendo should be capitalised by the way). But the point is, some things can be difficult to determine without an extensive grasp of the English language.

Gizmotech
December 12th, 2013, 12:44
Well spelling and grammar mistakes are only human at the end of the day. I think the idea is to reflect dedication and enthusiasm to the application process by showing that you are willing to weed out errors.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure that the people reading the Personal Statements have a good grasp of English, but maybe not extensive. A lot of people don't understand the uses of grammatical tools like the dash (-) or the Semi-colon ( ; ), or maybe even confused on certain words that they might consider to be capitalised or not. I remember someone on this forum asking if Kendo should be capitalised, and there was a lot of debate around it (Kendo should be capitalised by the way). But the point is, some things can be difficult to determine without an extensive grasp of the English language.

I had spelling mistakes in mine. They were pointed out. I told them I am an atrocious speller, but that it was a plus because I could use it as a learning tool. To this day, I actually use it in class as a challenge activity. Where are his mistakes on the board? Where are the mistakes in the handout? Can you find them all? It's good for helping build the students noticing skills, and when they find them all it can also boost student confidence in their abilities.

PaddyPakku
December 12th, 2013, 12:46
Wait, are you sure kendo should be capitalised in the middle of a sentence? I personally wouldn't think capitalise it, unless it is used as a noun or it's at the beginning of a sentence...

areeachan
December 12th, 2013, 13:56
Looks like people are getting their confirmation cards. I'm really scared I got disqualified because I had website issues and couldn't print off the application. Even though the embassy in Washington took my information and assured me I wouldn't be penalized for a late application, it was still late and I'm really scared it's disqualified now. That stupid "Question 17a has not been filled out" but the question really didn't exist thing happened to me. Plus transcript issues, letters of rec being late, my passport getting left at home and having to fax it...

In the end, I wonder if the universe is telling me JET isn't a good idea next year...

PaddyPakku
December 12th, 2013, 20:54
Looks like people are getting their confirmation cards. I'm really scared I got disqualified because I had website issues and couldn't print off the application. Even though the embassy in Washington took my information and assured me I wouldn't be penalized for a late application, it was still late and I'm really scared it's disqualified now. That stupid "Question 17a has not been filled out" but the question really didn't exist thing happened to me. Plus transcript issues, letters of rec being late, my passport getting left at home and having to fax it...

In the end, I wonder if the universe is telling me JET isn't a good idea next year...

So...you sent your application late to the embassy? I don't think any one person over the phone or through email can guarantee you as an exception...I'll be honest, you could have been disqualified...

Shincantsen
December 12th, 2013, 22:16
So...you sent your application late to the embassy? I don't think any one person over the phone or through email can guarantee you as an exception...I'll be honest, you could have been disqualified...

If she spoke to one of the JET coordinators at the embassy, they can do exactly that. But it's nice of you to discourage her.

PaddyPakku
December 12th, 2013, 22:44
I wasn't trying to discourage anybody, I've just never heard of anybody being given exemptions on the deadline before.

uthinkimlost?
December 12th, 2013, 23:34
I wasn't trying to discourage anybody, I've just never heard of anybody being given exemptions on the deadline before.

It happens every year for various reasons, including e-application errors. In several instances postal delays also led to the date requirement being relaxed. There's no reason to give someone stress when you don't know what you're talking about.

PaddyPakku
December 13th, 2013, 01:33
There's no reason to give someone stress when you don't know what you're talking about.
LOL! But that's what people in this forum seem to do, on an hourly basis...
On a serious note, I apologise to anyone that suffered extreme distress or intense panic attacks because of my original post.

areeachan
December 13th, 2013, 02:18
LOL! But that's what people in this forum seem to do, on an hourly basis...
On a serious note, I apologise to anyone that suffered extreme distress or intense panic attacks because of my original post.

It's cool, PaddyPakku. I get you were just trying to be realistic about my chances. I'm prepared for them to disqualify me, but I'm REALLY hoping they won't. When do you know if you've been disqualified, though? Do you get the confirmation card and then later get a notice saying your application was late/missing info/any other reason? Or do you just not get a card at all?

PaddyPakku
December 13th, 2013, 02:53
It's cool, PaddyPakku. I get you were just trying to be realistic about my chances. I'm prepared for them to disqualify me, but I'm REALLY hoping they won't. When do you know if you've been disqualified, though? Do you get the confirmation card and then later get a notice saying your application was late/missing info/any other reason? Or do you just not get a card at all?

I'm not sure if this happens often, but personally, I hand-delivered my application to the UK JET desk on the 19th November. Later that day, they sent me an email with the subject line 'INCOMPLETE APPLICATION'. Although, what they really wanted was more information from the doctor about my medical condition by the end of the week.
Having said all this, I don't think they'll usually send an email saying you've missed something, they'll just DQ your application there and then.
You will get your confirmation card even if your app was incomplete. The confirmation card ONLY means that your app has been received and opened. It doesn't mean everything with your app is ok.
Also, you won't know if you've been disqualified necessarily, you just won't get an interview.

Shincantsen
December 13th, 2013, 04:38

Unfortunately, you won't know until the interview notifications come out, and at that point you don't know if you were rejected based on your application itself, because your application was missing something, or because you were disqualified for some reason. If you were told by the JET Coordinators that your late submission would be accepted, then there's no need to worry about it being disqualified for that reason.

Antonath
December 13th, 2013, 09:11
Talk of capitalization of kendo would be an excellent discussion for the Lounge (hint hint).

word
December 13th, 2013, 09:21
Quite right. Done. (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/lounge/18914-capitalization-word-kendo.html)

dlbman22
December 13th, 2013, 11:30
Hahaha no, I just made a tongue-in-cheek joke.
notice my editing reason (reason for editing: typo)?
explaining a joke is so sad... but I suppose my sense of humor may be a bit eccentric, since obviously PaddyPakku thought it was time to jump on some kind of braggart bandwagon, lol.
We all make mistakes, although reading things over before submitting them and NOT relying solely on auto-spell checks is probably a wise precaution.

And yes, I'm applying for the 2nd time this year.

Yeah I noticed that. Well played! May I asked what got you disqualified the first time?

Catastrophe
December 14th, 2013, 04:51

I got my confirmation card today (they got my package Friday or Monday depending if I go by USPS or JET) so you should probably get your confirmation card next week since they go thru them in order received. Like stated already though, it just means they received it not that it was complete.

The problem with question 17a seemed to be a common issue for people trying to submit applications the day before deadline and they definitely were aware of the issue. I noticed the JET website did not say they application process was closed till few days after 3rd so they might have extended it for everyone without saying anything.

Kikaha2
December 14th, 2013, 20:59
Thank you to those who have answered some questions/provided useful anecdotes.

I had a question: I know they have thousands of applications to go through, and I know they aren't always returned on an "in order received" fashion, but does anyone have a ballpark estimate in terms of time between application arriving at the Embassy and the applicant receiving the confirmation cards? Aka, is anyone else still waiting on their confirmation card?

My application was supposedly delivered on November 26th. I'm still waiting for a reply...

specialk89
December 17th, 2013, 00:55
Kikaha2, I would call the Japanese Embassy of your home country and ask about whether they have received your application or not. I think the important part is confirming that they have received it, and what harm would it do by giving them a call. I'm applying from Canada Ontario, and the turn around time was pretty quick. I sent my application out on Friday the 22nd of November, it arrived at Ottawa on the morning of 25th and I received a confirmation email from the JET desk on the same day. The email confirmed that the Embassy has received my application package.

If the confirmation email is different from a confirmation card, then I guess I'm still waiting for that card as well.

par92186
December 17th, 2013, 08:50
My application was supposedly delivered on November 26th. I'm still waiting for a reply...

I sent my application to the DC Embassy on November 21st and had my confirmation card mailed back to me around a week later. I think there were a ton of people sending their application right on or during the Thanksgiving holiday, so the Embassy probably got swamped. I wouldn't worry though. I'm sure you'll get your confirmation card very shortly. Best of luck!

Aurano
December 18th, 2013, 08:03
January is getting closer, and my pessimism is diminishing any hope I had of getting an interview.

Bah Humbug! :)

Kikaha2
December 18th, 2013, 10:00

My confirmation letter came a day after I posted this haha. Thanks for the advice tho, and good luck to all you 2014 applicants.

MinisterDM
December 20th, 2013, 07:04
Still no confirmation from the consulate. I am getting worried. UPS said it was received and signed for. So I hope they are just busy.

imightbetheone
December 20th, 2013, 07:30
I'm in the same boat- I know my application was delivered on time due to FedEx confirmation, but I haven't received notice from the embassy. I'm not worried about it.

Aurano
December 20th, 2013, 07:34
Still no confirmation from the consulate. I am getting worried. UPS said it was received and signed for. So I hope they are just busy.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it has been received and signed for then it's there. Confirmation cards can just get lost in limbo most likely.

kbui
January 3rd, 2014, 07:58
So I haven't received my SASE either, but my UPS tracking information said it was signed by SMITH at the embassy. I hope we receive our cards soon because I think if not it may be a foreshadow of an impending rejection due to disqualification. Can people continue posting up:

Which embassy they applied to:
When they mailed in their physical application:
If they've received their SASE back, and if so, when:

For me,
Chicago
Dec. 2nd, received by embassy
Not yet

dlbman22
January 3rd, 2014, 08:45
What's an SASE?

par92186
January 3rd, 2014, 08:46
So I haven't received my SASE either, but my UPS tracking information said it was signed by SMITH at the embassy. I hope we receive our cards soon because I think if not it may be a foreshadow of an impending rejection due to disqualification. Can people continue posting up:

For me,
Chicago
Not yet

I applied to the Hagatna, Guam Embassy (I'm living abroad at the moment and flying to Guam for an interview was more cost effective than flying back states side)
I mailed my application on November 21st
I received my SASE on November 30th

par92186
January 3rd, 2014, 08:47
What's an SASE?

Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope

CrouchingMouse
January 3rd, 2014, 13:19
Atlanta, received and signed for on Dec 3rd, not yet. I did a little digging on the JET website and found a blurb that said if you haven't received confirmation, to wait until after January 10th to contact them about it. Presumably mail is a little slow this time of year, and they just want to give it some breathing room so they don't have lots of people calling in with this problem. That being said, the delay is making me a bit nervous.

Catastrophe
January 3rd, 2014, 15:54
Jet website clearly states that application "must be received by the JET Office at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC."

Page
January 3rd, 2014, 21:27
I don't think they were saying that they sent their packet to Atlanta, rather that they're applying through the Atlanta consulate (to go with the earlier posted format).

Jurassyk
January 3rd, 2014, 23:07

For me,
Chicago
Not yet

I hope you aren't confusing CONSULATE and EMBASSY. There is only the one embassy in Washington, DC for U.S. applicants (unless you are abroad, etc.).

As long as that isn't the case, I wouldn't worry overly much. Mail is indeed slow this time of year, on top of the fact that you got your application in on the final few days of the open period; which means that yours is most likely just one of thousands that they have to wade through. My confirmation from the USPS was for Dec. 2nd and I just received my SASE a couple days ago (Dec. 30). It may be tough, but hang in there.

HorseFeathers
January 4th, 2014, 03:04
I mailed in my application on November 12th. And I received my SASE on November 18th.

Shincantsen
January 4th, 2014, 08:08
Just to add, getting your SASE is NOT an indication that your application is complete. Not getting a SASE is not an indication that you were disqualified. Every single person whose application was received by the embassy should get a SASE back, even if they sent in a piece of paper that says JET Application followed by a drawing of poop.

Wasabi
January 4th, 2014, 08:37
I sent my application to Washington on Friday November 29th & it was received Saturday the 30th. I got my SASE back about a week before Christmas (I don't know which day exactly but I didn't even open it until a few days ago). Last year when the deadline was a week earlier, I didn't get my SASE back until right after Christmas AND that year I had sent it in about 10 days ahead of the due date (as opposed to 3 days ahead this year). I would wait and then call at the end of next week or send your coordinator an e-mail. If whatever tracking site says it's been delivered you should be fine. Relax, breathe, enjoy 2014.

kbui
January 4th, 2014, 08:54
I hope you aren't confusing CONSULATE and EMBASSY. There is only the one embassy in Washington, DC for U.S. applicants (unless you are abroad, etc.).

As long as that isn't the case, I wouldn't worry overly much. Mail is indeed slow this time of year, on top of the fact that you got your application in on the final few days of the open period; which means that yours is most likely just one of thousands that they have to wade through. My confirmation from the USPS was for Dec. 2nd and I just received my SASE a couple days ago (Dec. 30). It may be tough, but hang in there.

Ah, yes, my mistake. I actually meant your interviewing location and not destination of the application.

And thanks for the dates. It makes me feel a lot better since you've JUST received your SASE. I'll be combing through my mail in the coming week.

kbui
January 4th, 2014, 08:56
Just to add, getting your SASE is NOT an indication that your application is complete. Not getting a SASE is not an indication that you were disqualified. Every single person whose application was received by the embassy should get a SASE back, even if they sent in a piece of paper that says JET Application followed by a drawing of poop.

Interesting. I was under the impression that if it was COMPLETE, THEN they'll send you the SASE. Either way, receiving my SASE will still help calm down my poor nerves.

Aurano
January 4th, 2014, 09:42
Can I just say its January, so good luck everyone with getting an interview. I really doubt I'll get one, but it was nice to be a part of the application community while it lasted!

grub
January 4th, 2014, 10:16
Applying from Melbourne, sent my application to Canberra on 25 November which was received on the 29th. SASE was postmarked on the 29th and I got it back the following week.

Your SASE is probably delayed due to the holiday period. Hope you get it back soon.

Like Aurano says, good luck scoring an interview everyone!

TweedPawn
January 4th, 2014, 11:22
I got my SASE on the 3rd of December. Is it me, or was there a handful of us on ITIL that stuck it out and got our apps in this year? It would be cool if we all made it in. But I have a feeling we'd go Hunger Games on each other in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself

moonbeam
January 4th, 2014, 20:08
I called a few days ago because I hadn't received my SASE and was told they still had hundreds of applications to process from the last couple days before the deadline. My application was delivered on Dec. 2nd so that made me feel better. I finally got it in the mail yesterday so if you're still waiting I wouldn't worry.

tedcase
January 4th, 2014, 20:38
I called a few days ago because I hadn't received my SASE and was told they still had hundreds of applications to process from the last couple days before the deadline.
And I'm sure they just love having people call in all the time with these questions when they have hundreds of applications left.

moonbeam
January 4th, 2014, 21:06
It's not like I called every week. A month is reasonable.

kbui
January 5th, 2014, 07:35
It's not like I called every week. A month is reasonable.

I agree. Calling shouldn't be a crime, especially from people who are truly passionate and excited for the opportunity.

Anyways, thank you for calling them. I see that people are getting their letters soon, so I hope that when I get home it'll be the same story for me! :D

imightbetheone
January 5th, 2014, 10:27
It took forever for my SASE to arrive, but I knew my application had been signed for at the embassy so I didn't worry about it. My application arrived in DC on Dec. 2nd and I received my SASE around Dec. 28th.

par92186
January 5th, 2014, 11:19
Jet website clearly states that application "must be received by the JET Office at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC."

Thanks, but I'm aware of that. I sent my application to the Embassy in D.C., so no worries on my end.
:)

kbui
January 6th, 2014, 08:46
I'm so excited from the prospect of leaving to Japan in July/August!!! That would be an awesome experience. I'm just imagining it now... teaching in a school classroom full of excited students, creating games and music to help engage them. :D

Gizmotech
January 6th, 2014, 09:06
I'm so excited from the prospect of leaving to Japan in July/August!!! That would be an awesome experience. I'm just imagining it now... teaching in a school classroom full of excited students, creating games and music to help engage them. :D

Hold onto these dreams like ini holds onto a bottle of Japanese sake. Don't ever let it go, regardless how much your coworkers and other ALTs try to pry it out of your dirty little hands.

Jiggit
January 6th, 2014, 09:13
classroom full of excited students

What are you going to do when the first month honeymoon period is over and the kids get bored of asking if you have a boyfriend and trying to put their fingers up your bum?

kbui
January 6th, 2014, 09:31
What are you going to do when the first month honeymoon period is over and the kids get bored of asking if you have a boyfriend and trying to put their fingers up your bum?

Does that second thing actually happen? And if it does... how often?... Lol.

Ini
January 6th, 2014, 09:41

Jiggit
January 6th, 2014, 09:44
The wikipedia page is fantastic Kancho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancho)

par92186
January 6th, 2014, 09:44
Does that second thing actually happen? And if it does... how often?... Lol.

In Korea the finger gun up the butt is called "Dongshim". It's really popular with like 3rd and 4th graders, but the older they get, the less often it occurs. It's probably the same in Japan. And the boyfriend/girlfriend question is a really popular question for kids to ask in East Asia. I get asked that question all the time, even from students who I've taught for almost 2 years. East Asian kids are also interested in your bloodtype (it maybe only a Korean thing) and how old you are. Be prepared for a wide array of borderline inappropriate and hilarious inquiries made by your students on a regular basis.

As far as having "students full of energy"....pray for elementary schools.

Jiggit
January 6th, 2014, 09:48
On a serious note you might have to answer questions about how you would deal with students asking inappropriate questions in your interview, so be prepared for that.

Ini
January 6th, 2014, 09:56
how often?...

All

Day

Every

Day

From

Now

Until

The

End

Of

Days

kbui
January 6th, 2014, 09:58
On a serious note you might have to answer questions about how you would deal with students asking inappropriate questions in your interview, so be prepared for that.

Is it possible to request high school or undergraduate level students? Not that I am completely scared of getting Kancho'ed, but I would really, REALLY rather not... Lol. I've worked with younger kids in the past, and also with college level kids, and I much enjoy the maturity and passion of older students.

kbui
January 6th, 2014, 09:58
All

Day

Every

Day

From

Now

Until

The

End

Of