PDA

View Full Version : One Space or Two?

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:26
Okay this is going to seem like a really dumb question. But it stems from a heated argument I got into with one of my SOP readers.

How many spaces after a period? One or two?

Now I had never heard of this before. I'm an English major and never have I ever put more than one space after a period. I never lost points on a paper for writing that way either. So this came out of left field when one of my readers said I needed to go back over my entire essay and double space everything.

I assumed he was right though. I double spaced my whole essay, feeling awfully sheepish that I had never heard of such a grammar rule before.

But recently I did research into this ridiculous thing. I found articles debating it quite vehemently, several supporting my one space theory. That two spacing was silly and antiquated. But I'm curious to see what any of you other JET applicants think. Did you guys hit the space bar once or twice?

therealwindycity
November 6th, 2013, 10:30
xkcd: Third Way (http://xkcd.com/1285/)

I think you're overthinking it a little. The screeners are probably rushing to get through hundreds of essays, and I don't think that they would take points off for something so small (if they even noticed it)

HorseFeathers
November 6th, 2013, 10:40
Good point! I am absolutely overanalyzing it. :) That does make me feel better; seeing it in that perspective. Surely the difference between two or one spaces isn't going to matter as much as perhaps a spelling error would.

Course the SOP reader in question was also my brother in law so we often argue about silly inane things like this.

Page
November 6th, 2013, 10:55
Yeah, if you're going to get worked up over spaces you aren't going to survive the application process, breath! The only reason the difference would even matter would be if you wrote a long essay and the single space allows you to fit it all on one page.

(For the record I'm a 2 spacer but all the books in my reach ATM (academia) are 1 spaced.)

Aurano
November 6th, 2013, 11:03
You only put 1 space after a full stop. Are you sure they are not referring to line spacing? I'm not sure about the US personal statement, but the UK one has to have double line spacing.

imightbetheone
November 6th, 2013, 11:17
I'm a writer by profession, and I put two spaces after a full stop. However, modern standards accept either one or two spaces. So, to put it in a very modern way, your ass is covered whether you choose one space or two.

patjs
November 8th, 2013, 14:04
I think either is acceptable. I remember being taught two spaces in school, but I don't use two anymore. I don't think many people do.

AVN
November 8th, 2013, 20:15
Were their exact words "double space"? Did they state that they meant two spaces after a period? Because to me "double space" means between lines and not after periods.

Aurano
November 8th, 2013, 22:23
Double spacing is more space between each line of text. It can be easily done on MS Word by changing the line spacing tab from 1.15 to 2.0.

In terms of double spacing after a full stop. I've seen it done before, but only on rare occasion. I know there are different forms of writing were grammatical tools are used in slightly different ways than others, but as far as I am aware, one space after a full stop is the norm.

As Patjs said, either should be perfectly acceptable.

moshimoshi
November 8th, 2013, 22:35
"How many spaces after a period? One or two?"

They taught us two back in the day... then switched it to one. I think one space is the "proper" way.

moshimoshi
November 8th, 2013, 22:41
On another note...... I thought indenting paragraphs was a thing of the past. But the TESOL class I'm taking required indented paragraphs in one of my assignments yesterday. :confused:

therealwindycity
November 8th, 2013, 22:57
I think that this question has been sufficiently answered!