PDA

View Full Version : Criminal History: How big of a problem?

TSterling
November 28th, 2013, 13:40
I've been lurking the forums for a couple weeks, and have been itching to post since I recently completed and turned in my application.

I've read a few different threads concerning the FBI background check, as well as JET's general approach towards applicants with a criminal record. Unfortunately it would seem no one on the boards has had a situation exactly like mine, so I thought I would ask: exactly how much does JET care about previous criminal charges?

About 4 years ago, when I was 19, I was charged with a minor DUI and possession of paraphernalia. The paraphernalia charge was dropped almost immediately, and I never heard anything about it again. As for the DUI, I plead no contest and was able to get it stricken from any and all official records within a year or so of the event (I called the county clerk's office as well as city records while filling out my application; neither was able to find anything on me). However, since the application was pretty adamant on the disclosure of any criminal history regardless of whether or not it was expunged, I mentioned the incident on my application.

I know these charges pretty much guarantee rejection from the program, but I have very strong letters of recommendation in addition to a more than solid SoP. I studied abroad at a Japanese university last year, have taught English in Japan while still in high school, and participated in a high school exchange program in rural Japan; by all counts, I am a qualified applicant. But with this one blight on my record, I am afraid I may not even be given an interview. Does anyone on the forums know if this is grounds for immediate disqualification?

therealwindycity
November 28th, 2013, 13:55
I know of a JET who was accepted with a minor in possession of alcohol charge that he mentioned in his application (and which, incidentally, didn't show up on his background check), but DUI and paraphernalia ...

I think you have the right attitude - expect that you'll be disqualified and be happily surprised if you're not. Furthermore, if you do get accepted, prepare for your BOE to be extra-strict. My friend was flat-out told that a lot of people at the BOE didn't want to hire him.

Gizmotech
November 28th, 2013, 14:09
Actually it's worse than you think. They won't find out until you give them the FBI report (if they are on it), and by then you'll be past the interview stage. Yes, having a discrepancy between your application and FBI report will be a problem, only if you left something out that is on the FBI report. If you put extra stuff in the app that isn't in the report, then it's up to the application processor whether you are a risk or not.

TSterling
November 28th, 2013, 14:25
If you put extra stuff in the app that isn't in the report, then it's up to the application processor whether you are a risk or not.

This is my main worry. If they look at this one bad thing and decide that it outweighs everything positive on my application, I won't even reach the interview stage. And with the sheer volume of applicants each year, it seems too easy from their perspective to just toss my application out when they can easily replace it with another. Hopefully, someone more forgiving will be looking over my materials.

Antonath
November 28th, 2013, 14:26
DUI is serious in Japan (if you're officially "caught", anyway), so if you do get an interview, expect to be asked about it. Say how you've learned from the experience, etc. It's not an automatic disqualification but it will be a black mark, and like windy said, if you do make it out, expect to be watched.

I'm guessing paraphernalia is a drug-related charge? (I'm a Brit, we use other terms.) If it is, and it shows up on your record or you listed it on the app, it would be an almost certain disqualification. Drugs charges are Serious Business in Japan.

TSterling
November 28th, 2013, 14:37
DUI is serious in Japan (if you're officially "caught", anyway), so if you do get an interview, expect to be asked about it. Say how you've learned from the experience, etc. It's not an automatic disqualification but it will be a black mark, and like windy said, if you do make it out, expect to be watched.

I'm guessing paraphernalia is a drug-related charge? (I'm a Brit, we use other terms.) If it is, and it shows up on your record or you listed it on the app, it would be an almost certain disqualification. Drugs charges are Serious Business in Japan.

Paraphernalia is indeed a drug-related offense, but one that shouldn't show up on my official record since it was dropped. Still, really kicking myself for that one right about now. If I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I shouldn't have a hard time explaining how I've learned from these mistakes. It was really a big wake-up call for me back then.

therealwindycity
November 28th, 2013, 15:38
Even in the worst-case scenario, it will still be possible for you to come to Japan with a non-JET company since the paraphernalia charges were dropped. They're particularly strict since we're government employees, but there are increasingly numerous opportunities to come to Japan that might end up working out better than JET (not to sound like a pessimist; there's just been a lot of discussion recently about how JET isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all for getting to Japan)

octagon
November 28th, 2013, 16:13
About 4 years ago, when I was 19, I was charged with a minor DUI and possession of paraphernalia. The paraphernalia charge was dropped almost immediately, and I never heard anything about it again. As for the DUI, I plead no contest and was able to get it stricken from any and all official records within a year or so of the event (I called the county clerk's office as well as city records while filling out my application; neither was able to find anything on me). However, since the application was pretty adamant on the disclosure of any criminal history regardless of whether or not it was expunged, I mentioned the incident on my application.

One thing you should understand-- your record has been expunged. As far as the general public is concerned, you have no criminal record. That means average joes like yourself or your employer calling the county clerk's office will not be able to find any dirt on you.

BUT--

You still do, in fact, have a criminal record. Government agencies like the military and (presumably) the FBI can in fact see what you were charged with and what the outcome was (expungement), so you probably did yourself a favor in the long run just confessing to it and not being auto-DQed later for omitting it. At least now you'll know up front whether they'll consider you.

BTW since you copped to having a rap sheet on the application I'm pretty sure you need to submit the FBI background check no later than January 15th-- you don't get to wait until after the interview. I could be wrong, as the application guidelines are the most ambiguously-worded, biggest clusterfuck I've ever seen. But you might want to double check that.

word
November 28th, 2013, 16:15
As is occasionally pointed out, it can be advantageous to order an extra copy of your FBI record in advance. You never know--you just might be clean.

enderwhite
November 28th, 2013, 23:36
One thing you should understand-- your record has been expunged. As far as the general public is concerned, you have no criminal record. That means average joes like yourself or your employer calling the county clerk's office will not be able to find any dirt on you.

BUT--

You still do, in fact, have a criminal record. Government agencies like the military and (presumably) the FBI can in fact see what you were charged with and what the outcome was (expungement), so you probably did yourself a favor in the long run just confessing to it and not being auto-DQed later for omitting it. At least now you'll know up front whether they'll consider you.

BTW since you copped to having a rap sheet on the application I'm pretty sure you need to submit the FBI background check no later than January 15th-- you don't get to wait until after the interview. I could be wrong, as the application guidelines are the most ambiguously-worded, biggest clusterfuck I've ever seen. But you might want to double check that.

Hi, TSterling! I'm not a candidate in the JET program, but am only lurking around as my closest friend is in the application process. My advice doesn't come from JET experience, but from being a hiring manager who has seen many a background check. It's never more unsavory than when someone covers a negative record up, only to have me discover it later. At that point, it's over for them. I just wanted say that you did the right thing letting them know. Octagon is correct in that you *do* have a criminal record. Expungements will still show up on in-depth background checks. You did the honorable thing in coming clean on your application. It shows that you recognize your mistakes, and have the maturity to handle the situation rather than hiding it and having them find out about it after the fact. That would be a disaster.

That being said, you should try your hardest to get your FBI record in to the embassy as quickly as possible. It will show that you were never convicted of a crime, and have lived as a law-abiding citizen the past few years. Having a clean record in conjunction with your excellent credentials should keep you a candidate in the running. The program does allow those who have criminal records, even with convictions.

If you have the skills, education and experience I would not be surprised if you still get an interview. Obviously, in the interview your record will be addressed. You will need to be able to direct the interviewer to the FBI background check you submitted by the Jan. 15th deadline. It will give you a strong advantage when you explain that it was a learning experience from which you grew into a stronger, more dedicated man.

Good luck!

TSterling
November 29th, 2013, 12:20
Thank you to everyone who responded. Glad to hear I'm not completely screwed just yet, so it seems I'll be anxiously awaiting the day interviews are announced like the rest of the applicants.

And to those who asked about the background check, I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago through express mail (same as my application), so I will be calling them pretty soon to see if there's any way they can expedite my background check. The sooner I can get it to JET, the better off my chances will be.

TSterling
January 11th, 2014, 06:34
So I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I'm resuscitating it to ask one more question.

Background check came in, and it did indeed show both of my offenses as well as the fact that they had been expunged. So it's certainly a good thing I went ahead and told them about it in the application.

That said, it still causes me to worry. I asked my friend's dad in Japan if he thought it would make it especially difficult for me to get a work visa, to which he told me that he thinks the background check is more for the FBI to show me, the American government, and the Japanese government that they're doing their job. Whether this is the case, or my friend's dad (who is Japanese) is just politely trying to assuage my worries, I am not entirely sure. But I am considering calling the embassy and asking whether or not it makes a difference that I was granted a student visa when I studied abroad in Japan last year, something that occurred about 2.5 years after my run-in with the law.

If they really judge these things on a case by case basis, then wouldn't the fact that I have been in Japan as a student since then impact their decision? After all, if they thought I would be a risk, wouldn't the fact that I had been there for a semester without incident be enough to dissuade them from thinking that? Not looking for a definite answer, just wondering if it would be worth calling and talking to someone in the embassy about.

dstin
January 11th, 2014, 20:36
How does it show that the offenses have been expunged? (which would by definition mean they weren't expunged)
Or were just the conviction expunged but not the arrest?

TSterling
January 12th, 2014, 05:38
There wasn't a conviction for either charge, it said both of them were dropped but that's it. Apparently for the "complete expungement", I would have to get a lawyer all over again and pay a sh^tload of money. Which I am starting to think would be worth it.

What were your charges for?

Shincantsen
January 12th, 2014, 09:23
I don't know for sure, so this is just my assumption of the issue - if JET knows your criminal charges, and they offer you a position, they know that the work visa will go through. In most cases (99.9% of the time) if you are offered a position after the interview then you will get a position in Japan. I think if your criminal charges were enough to disqualify you for a visa, then your application wouldn't be accepted in the first place.

dstin
January 12th, 2014, 12:56
Ahhh, sounds like some legal bullshit specific to your state.

I got into a fight in highschool. Stupid teenager shit, honestly. 5 years later with not even a speeding ticket to my name since, I decided to get it cleared.

TSterling
January 12th, 2014, 17:52
I don't know for sure, so this is just my assumption of the issue - if JET knows your criminal charges, and they offer you a position, they know that the work visa will go through. In most cases (99.9% of the time) if you are offered a position after the interview then you will get a position in Japan. I think if your criminal charges were enough to disqualify you for a visa, then your application wouldn't be accepted in the first place.

This was kind of my thought process as well - if there's no chance of an applicant getting in with drug charges, then why would they say that applications containing them only "may" be disqualified, rather than outright binned on sight? I think it would be a bit cruel to allow people to have those kinds of hopes, only to dash them later. But I can understand if it were someone who had drug convictions, which are certainly much, much worse, and far more permanent. In my case, the charges were dropped after I did what I was supposed to do...a lengthy and expensive process, I might add.

That said, I have done quite a bit of research on obtaining a work visa in Japan with past charges, and it seems nearly impossible for those who have convictions, but the picture is quite a big foggier for those who have had said charges removed. I know it's a lot easier for people to slip through the cracks with other companies though (AEON, NOVA, Interac and the like) since they don't require a background check from a source as thorough as the FBI is.

Ah, that's unfortunate dstin. Glad you got it cleared though, I know firsthand how much of a pain it can be having to explain your past mistakes to potential employers...no fun at all.

therealwindycity
January 13th, 2014, 16:36
Whichever the case, I hope you let us know how it works out! I want to believe that the government wouldn't punish somebody for something so small, but I don't really much trust their judgment of what makes someone a good person. And if it's an automatic DQ as you said might be the case it would be good for potential applicants on here to have that information

TSterling
January 13th, 2014, 18:12
Whichever the case, I hope you let us know how it works out! I want to believe that the government wouldn't punish somebody for something so small, but I don't really much trust their judgment of what makes someone a good person. And if it's an automatic DQ as you said might be the case it would be good for potential applicants on here to have that information

I'll be sure to post the results on here, one way or the other. Got a callback from Interac the other day, who wants to interview me. I'd be lying if I said I were super excited about it, but at least it's a solid plan B.

ihatefall
January 15th, 2014, 16:03
I'll be sure to post the results on here, one way or the other. Got a callback from Interac the other day, who wants to interview me. I'd be lying if I said I were super excited about it, but at least it's a solid plan B.

I'd say go for both. A great Interac position is better than a shitty JET position. (Case by case things might be different but usually JET is better. But I knew many ALTs on Interac that had a great experience.)

Gizmotech
January 15th, 2014, 17:07
I'd say go for both. A great Interac position is better than a shitty JET position. (Case by case things might be different but usually JET is better. But I knew many ALTs on Interac that had a great experience.)

If you're in it for more than a one year stint, interac has definite benefits by being able to request a transfer to other areas. You might start out in a shitty position, but you can transfer to somewhere else after your first year if you're not a total noob.

MJN
January 15th, 2014, 18:14

Same. While I was on JET I knew people on interac that had a pretty great deal: Operated in schools from the same BOE, had really short days where they could come and go at any time as long as they were in lessons and fuckhuge holidays. Pay was gash, though.

Also about the drug charge thing: It's an automatic disqualification from JET because Japan won't issue a visa to anyone with a drug charge to their name. The same goes for interac and all the others - it doesn't matter if you pass and get a recruitment contract, Japan won't give the visa if they see that drug charge.

ihatefall
January 15th, 2014, 23:18
Does interac require the FBI background check? When I applied to JET in 2006-2008. You just had to check a box, they didn't require the actual paperwork.

But ya I believe the ban is 10 years so unless you're 29 "just like dat Hilton gurl, y'all ain't gittin in". That being said you already got in. I still say apply to both. (I don't know that is a fact and I am too lazy to google it)

My first year on JET I had summers off 'to study Japanese' (wink) - no joke what the guy at the BOE did (but not to travel and we had bimonthly meeting at the BOE still.)
In fact that was a dream position. My predecessor called me the luckiest JET in Japan. 7 min walk from the train station, that went straight to Ueno. 1 hour to Shibuya, an amazing BOE, great kids, great JTE, a nice apartment and no rent.
I still haven't met a private that had it better. Sure there were Tokyo ALTs but they were always broke.
My buddies place in hatsudai (shinjuku) was a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. 12man a month. And it wasn't a nice place.

My second year on post transfer, wasn't as nice I was in the 教員受託 "government workers housing" that was ancient, and old but only 9000 yen a month and still close to the station 15 min walk or 4 min bike ride. 32 mins from Tokyo. But I had to deal with an idiot supervisor and an awful base school. (If you have ever seen shinotsuma monogatari aka kamikaze girls, I had to ride that train. (But that movie takes place before they the built the super fast Tsukuba express)

Anyway. You never know what you might get. (Conversely my sister and best friend both got put in Kochi-ken, which is off the beaten path for sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shincantsen
January 15th, 2014, 23:48
Does interac require the FBI background check? When I applied to JET in 2006-2008. You just had to check a box, they didn't require the actual paperwork.

I applied to Interac in 2009 and they required an FBI background check. They just didn't need it until after you'd passed the initial interview.

ihatefall
January 15th, 2014, 23:52
Well there you have it. You've already applied so what's done is done. But honestly it might be worth the thousand dollars or two to have it removed. This isn't the first this will cause you stress. It takes at least 7 years to disappear from your record and it takes time to do. So unless you do 3-4 years on JET you're running the risk of having it pop up again.

coop52
January 15th, 2014, 23:57
I thought the background check was part of the work visa process, so you'd need to get one regardless of if you came on JET or a private company.

I saw something posted about having a DUI. Would that possibly have an affect on the ability to get a Japanese driver's license? I doubt the work visa people would communicate with the driver's license people, but they do some sort of paper work checking before they even let you test (they dicked around with my forms for 2 weeks, and I didn't have any kind of incident on my US driving record). They do ask those kind of questions in the pre-test interview, but there doesn't seem to be any way for them to tell if you lied based on that alone.

TSterling
January 16th, 2014, 02:24
Same. While I was on JET I knew people on interac that had a pretty great deal: Operated in schools from the same BOE, had really short days where they could come and go at any time as long as they were in lessons and fuckhuge holidays. Pay was gash, though.

Also about the drug charge thing: It's an automatic disqualification from JET because Japan won't issue a visa to anyone with a drug charge to their name. The same goes for interac and all the others - it doesn't matter if you pass and get a recruitment contract, Japan won't give the visa if they see that drug charge.

As far as I'm aware, it's CLAIR that ultimately has the final say as to who gets a recruitment contract or not, so I'm really at their mercy more than I am the Japanese government. Though I would assume you're correct, if and only if CLAIR turns in background checks to the government. I can't see why they wouldn't, but you never know.

As for Interac, I saw on their website they DO require a background check; however, the provider they recommended was not the FBI, so maybe I'll get lucky and it won't turn up. Either way, it looks like I might be S.O.L for the next few years if I don't figure something out. I think I'm gonna start calling around for legal advice and see if there's any way I can get the ball rolling on this expungement thing.

therealwindycity
January 16th, 2014, 09:08

I think it's a little complicated in this case though because the OP wasn't convicted.

TSterling
January 16th, 2014, 09:53
I think it's a little complicated in this case though because the OP wasn't convicted.

Indeed. In a way, I sort of wish I were so that there wouldn't be any question that I'd get DQ'd and could rest easier. In a sick, masochistic sort of way, I mean.

Also, went to the county court today and picked up my case files to send in to the embassy as well. Turns out, both of the charges were expunged after all, and the forms verifying it had to be specially requested from the judge who presided over my case. Needless to say, those files will be in the hands of an application reviewer sometime within the next 2 days. *fingers crossed*

Ini
January 16th, 2014, 10:00
give it a few years and Japan will be so desperate for ALTs something this small wont matter to them.

TSterling
January 16th, 2014, 10:10
True, they're gonna have to open the floodgates to foreigners soon enough. But I reeeeeeeeally would prefer to not have to wait that long.

MJN
January 16th, 2014, 10:14

It just comes down to don't ask don't tell.

I get the feeling Japan's equivalent of the NSA when it comes to knowing about what people are up to is a guy in a tree with a pair of binoculars from the 1960s, so I highly doubt if it doesn't show on any form of FBI record then there's not a chance Japans immigration department will know anything about it.

word
January 16th, 2014, 10:50

I get the feeling Japan's equivalent of the NSA when it comes to knowing about what people are up to is a guy in a tree with a pair of binoculars from the 1960s, so I highly doubt if it doesn't show on any form of FBI record then there's not a chance Japans immigration department will know anything about it.

word

TSterling
January 16th, 2014, 11:20

Be that as it may, they did ask...and I did tell. It shouldn't have showed up on the FBI form though, in all honesty. At the very least, should have showed the outcome was expungement. Hence why I went to every length I could to get documents proving that it was indeed expunged. At any rate, I suppose I won't have to wait much longer to find out. If people have until the 31st to get in their CBCs, I'd imagine results will be posted in the days immediately following.

dstin
January 17th, 2014, 11:34
TSterling, when did you get your expungement? Was it recently? It can take awhile for the local police to expunge it and then send that fact to the FBI and then goes into their pile of stuff to fix(which may take awhile). Did you ever get a letter of compliance to the court decision from the police?

TSterling
January 17th, 2014, 13:28
TSterling, when did you get your expungement? Was it recently? It can take awhile for the local police to expunge it and then send that fact to the FBI and then goes into their pile of stuff to fix(which may take awhile). Did you ever get a letter of compliance to the court decision from the police?

About a year after my court date. I had to do community service hours, pay my fines, go to DUI school, put an interlock device in my car, and not get into any trouble for a year and I would have it expunged 2 years after that. Which would put my official expungement date in/around December 2013. I don't recall getting a letter for it, but it may very well have been sent to an old address. Either way, it's apparently been at least partially expunged, according to my judge whom I spoke to just yesterday.

ihatefall
January 17th, 2014, 20:22
Get confirmation and then get a new FBI report showing it as being removed

TSterling
January 23rd, 2014, 03:40
Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much.

spman2099
January 23rd, 2014, 04:35
Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much. Congrats to some neckbeard out there who finally has a chance to go to Japan for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks, I appreciate your congratulations. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the interview.

On the bright side, you did say that you had an interview with Interac, right? I hear there are a lot of benefits to going with them as opposed to JET.

Shincantsen
January 23rd, 2014, 05:00
Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much. Congrats to some neckbeard out there who finally has a chance to go to Japan for all the wrong reasons.

It's true, everyone except yourself is going to Japan for all the wrong reasons. Your criminal history may not have even been what got you disqualified.

spman2099
January 23rd, 2014, 05:07
It's true, everyone except yourself is going to Japan for all the wrong reasons. Your criminal history may not have even been what got you disqualified.

Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.

TSterling
January 23rd, 2014, 05:56
Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.

It was a dick thing to say, I definitely don't mean it. I just imagined some guy, maybe the guy with the lowest point total or something, going to his interview in his shorts and T-shirt. And maybe I lost out to that guy by 1 point because of something stupid I did when I was a kid.

TSterling
January 23rd, 2014, 06:04
With that said, I really do hope the people who got interviews are as excited as I would be. You're lucky to have a shot to be a part of something like this. Sorry for implying that everyone that got one doesn't deserve it, because JET obviously thinks you do. I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.

Antonath
January 23rd, 2014, 09:26
I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.
I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.

TSterling
January 23rd, 2014, 12:20
I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.

I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.

ihatefall
January 23rd, 2014, 12:53
Ya man, I would recommend trying to get a position with a company that places you in a school as an ALT rather than work for an eikaiwa school.

therealwindycity
January 23rd, 2014, 13:45
I'm sorry to hear about that, but I really hope that the interac interview goes well and that you don't have any problems getting to Japan! I do agree that this thread will probably be useful to other people, especially considering the unfortunate far-reaching effects of the "war on drugs"

Kdes23
January 30th, 2014, 10:56
I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.

Best of luck. While there are some downsides to working as a private ALT, there are also upsides.
Here's a few of them:

1) You're not expected to be committed to the community. In other words, going to sports days and what not.

2) If you want to live in a city, your chances are much higher to be placed in one.

3) Re-locating is easier than it is with JET.

4) You can do side-jobs like tutoring and so on for extra cash (JET's are not allowed).

5) Your working hours are more strict. If you're done at 4pm, you leave at 4pm. Even myself, I'm sometimes stuck after school helping kids with speech contests or story telling contests.