PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Australian JETs 2014

SticksPrime
January 16th, 2014, 15:05
Hey guys,

The date for notifications should be coming quite soon and I know I'm missing most of my fingernails and patience each time the postman goes past my letterbox so let's get to know some things about us. Who knows, you could be sitting next to a fellow ITIL user on the plane over?

So let's get some things going...
- Where are you from?
- What's your degree?
- What are your three placement preferences?
- What are you looking forward to doing whilst in Japan?
And these are just some suggestions but I honestly want one question answered as I'm sure we were all stumped and had to lie for this one.
- How can you bring Australian culture to Japan?

Personally, I'm from Campbelltown in South-West Sydney and "majored" in Sport and Exercise Science. I preferred Hokkaido, Gifu, and Kagoshima (random right?). I'm looking forward to a change in pace and scenery as I'm sick of being stuck in an area with limited opportunity that rewards networking over knowledge. I'm looking forward to snowboarding most of the year (if placed north), surfing, and just being in an area that's different. On my SoP, I mentioned how Australia has a diverse fauna and flora ecosystem and how that can be used to motivate students into learning more about wildlife.

So let's get the ball rolling and when you get that notification, let us know; if not, unlucky and good luck with any future aspirations and don't be shy to hang around, you may be in our prefecture the following year.

grub
January 20th, 2014, 12:34
I think I may be the only other Australian applying on this forum...unless there are others lurking.

Anyway, I'm a recent arts graduate from Melbourne with majors in Japanese and Asian Studies. For various reasons, I requested Okayama, Kochi and Sapporo. If I do make it into JET, I'm looking forward to living by myself, brushing up on my Japanese and perhaps a little bit of travelling. Job wise, I'd like to see how the Japanese kids study and learn English as I'd like to teach ESL in the future. In regards to Australian culture, I want to talk about the diversity and multiculturalism we have here since I grew up away from it.

I'm also starting my masters course in a few weeks time, so things will be getting busy for me.

Gizmotech
January 20th, 2014, 12:39
I think there are atleast 5 or so based on the information I've seen through the various threads. Now whether or not there are all still here is another question...

Jintor
January 24th, 2014, 19:43
Hi, I'm a Sydney applicant, got through to the interview round. Nice to meet you.

SticksPrime
January 24th, 2014, 22:00
Glad to see some more Aussies dropping in. I also got my letter telling me I made it to the interview round. Honestly can't wait for the interview...

SticksPrime
January 29th, 2014, 15:33
Sydney interview details should be out now. I've got mine and honestly cannot wait to destroy this interview.

grub
January 29th, 2014, 15:36
I got mine via email few days after the interview notification. Good luck everyone!

Tetsamajigger
January 30th, 2014, 19:24
Hey yall. Been wonderin when an aussie thread would rock up. I got my interview details as well just the other day. Pretty happy and looking forward to laying on the charm. Oh and um skillz as well of course.

I majored in Glaswegian history with a minor in latin.
My choices for placement were: Skytree Tower, Disneyland and Mt Fuji.
Can't be bothered answering all the questions, but on bringing australian culture to Japan, well it's obvious isn't it?
Get drunk, go out, punch someone and swear a lot.

Some or all of this post may or may not be a lie....

Jintor
February 6th, 2014, 15:38
Got my notification. Not sweating yet but starting to think I should be. Luckily my friend got through to the second round as well so we're gonna go talk it over on Monday.

Man... part of me doesn't want to wear a suit, but as I keep reminding myself, it's a government contract with a foreign government... should at least be formal for the interview... best foot forward and all that.

Antonath
February 6th, 2014, 15:47
Man... part of me doesn't want to wear a suit, but as I keep reminding myself, it's a government contract with a foreign government... should at least be formal for the interview... best foot forward and all that.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That has been my interview advice for applicants ever since the guy who wanted to go in a school uniform. Finally someone that gets it!

Gizmotech
February 6th, 2014, 23:31
WORD. *Applause*

SticksPrime
February 7th, 2014, 16:33
Hey friends,

Anyone interviewing in those first 3 days of 17th-19th?

Tetsamajigger
February 8th, 2014, 12:22
Not I. End of feb for me.

grub
February 8th, 2014, 21:48
Yup on the 17th. How do you know it's the first day?

Jintor
February 9th, 2014, 10:51
i'm on the 19th

SticksPrime
February 9th, 2014, 15:21
Yup on the 17th. How do you know it's the first day?
It states interviews are held mid-February and considering it takes about two weeks to interview everybody, 17th is the first Monday which is around "mid-February". I'm on the 18th...

Jintor
February 9th, 2014, 21:39
The 'culture' thing is really tripping me up in Interview prep. I yammered on a lot in my SOP about multiculturalism - which is fair enough, since I live in Sydney and I can go a day or so without seeing a blond-haired white person ('traditional Australians', or the image thereof anyway) or even speaking english, if I stick to the right suburbs - but getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.

SticksPrime
February 9th, 2014, 22:07
The 'culture' thing is really tripping me up in Interview prep...but getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.

It is a tough thing to promote considering other nations have quite distinct cultures whereas Australia has a very negative global culture toward its people. I won't say much more than that since I'd be hurting my chances of being picked over you (even though I want us all to go) but I have mine prepared and is actually quite relevant to me.

grub
February 16th, 2014, 20:42
getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.

Sorry for the late reply, I've just started my masters course and everything has been so busy. Anyway...

I was also one to go around the bush with multiculturalism. Cultural artifacts - by this you mean the 3 things you'll bring to represent Australian culture right? Here are some things I thought about:

Football or some other sporty thing - Australian sporting culture
'Blinky Bill' / 'The Magic Pudding' - classic Australian fiction / cartoons
Photos of where you live, your friends, things that are multicultural (e.g. Chinatown) - I think some kind of representation of Japan overseas would be good too
Scrapbook of photos of popular tourist destinations (similar concept to above)
Australian food recipes
A CD of classic Australian songs (e.g. Waltzing Matilda, I Still Call Australia Home etc.)

Have a look through those souvenir shops too, I think you'll find some stereotypical/interesting stuff there as well.

Hope that helps!

Shelia
February 17th, 2014, 16:08
Sydney applicant here with an interview on the 19th. Graduated in 2012 with a bachelor of commerce majoring in accounting and finance. Nagoya, Tokyo and Osaka were my preferences.

Good luck to all fellow Aussies!

Jintor
February 18th, 2014, 11:05
Hey, my interview's on the 19th as well! What time?

Shelia
February 18th, 2014, 11:23
Hey, my interview's on the 19th as well! What time?
2.20pm what about you?

Jintor
February 18th, 2014, 11:34
Same time - they must be running multiple panels.

Or they've overbooked and instead of interviews they're running fights to the death instead. One or the other.

Shelia
February 18th, 2014, 12:25
Haha nice guess I'll see you there! I'll be the Asian girl in business attire black skirt white blouse :)

Gizmotech
February 18th, 2014, 12:41
Most embassies run multiple interview panels concurrently. It's easier to organize it all on one or two days than to spread it out over a week or two and have the same interviewers interview everyone.

Jintor
February 18th, 2014, 13:29
Makes sense. Still, I think I'd fare better at the Battle Royale idea.

I'll be the asian dude in a black suit, blue tie.

Ini
February 18th, 2014, 13:39
Saying 'I'll be the asian in a suit" is the worst descriptor you could use when meeting at the japanese embassy. Its like saying "I'll see you at the Italian embassy. I'm the greasy guy wearing shades"

Jintor
February 18th, 2014, 13:47
There's not much conspicuousness I can add without scuttling my interview chances though!

grub
February 19th, 2014, 13:58
The Melbourne consulate was doing 4 interviews concurrently which was interesting. I saw one of my previous lecturers on the panel. Disappointed there was no ex-jet to talk to in the waiting room or on my panel.

Shelia
February 19th, 2014, 14:09
Just had my interview. Sydney was holding 3 concurrent interviews. They were super friendly and the ex JET did ask most of the questions except for the Japanese part but they weren't any curveballs.

Grub, interesting your panel didn't have an ex JET.

Jintor
February 19th, 2014, 17:01
No ex-JET on the panel? odd

The professor (outside expert?) and the ex-JET did most of the talking, apart from the Japanese speaking bit

uthinkimlost?
February 19th, 2014, 17:29

The professor (outside expert?) and the ex-JET did most of the talking, apart from the Japanese speaking bit

It's not so odd. The panels consist of the people in the area who were free and needed cash.

Ini
February 19th, 2014, 17:31
The panels consist of the people in the area who were free and needed cash.

hmmm very odd considering the job prospects of most ex JETs

uthinkimlost?
February 19th, 2014, 17:41
hmmm very odd considering the job prospects of most ex JETs

Managers at McDonald's can be a strict bunch. Probably couldn't get the time off.

Tetsamajigger
February 28th, 2014, 19:18
Heeeeeyoooo. Had mine today. Glad it's over. Fun! Now for the wait until the yay/nay. Not so much fun.

grub
February 28th, 2014, 19:33
Just letting you guys know that I withdrew my application for this year's intake. I think I might finish my masters course in teaching first. I'll stick around as I might apply again at the end of the year. Fingers crossed to all you Aussies!

Oh I totally bombed the Japanese part of my interview too. Was not expecting what they asked.

Tetsamajigger
February 28th, 2014, 23:19
lol. May I ask what they asked? I got asked about instant noodles. Took me by surprise let me tell you. Would that be the end of the Aussie interviews then I wonder. I was concerned about mine being so late, but hey Wait Awhile is the theme over here ;)

grub
March 1st, 2014, 06:02
I was shown pictures of situations and it was like "What would you do if you were person x/y?" Went mind blank for the last one.

Benson92
March 5th, 2014, 11:40
Hey guys! Perhaps a little late to the party but Melbourne graduate of IT from Swinburne checking in. I had my interviews last month.
I was shown pictures of situations and it was like "What would you do if you were person x/y?" Went mind blank for the last one.Grub, I had similar questions where they showed me the pictures and I had to answer in Japanese. In my application I said I did Japanese in year 8 so despite writing that I had essentially no knowledge of the language earlier in the application they decided to test me anyway.Good thing I know "Gomennasai" ;)

jellypeas
March 6th, 2014, 16:11
Hey all!

Just dropping by to wish you all luck in your applications! I'm a current jet and I interviewed in Sydney last year so I can sympathise with the nerves and all the waiting :/

Jintor
April 1st, 2014, 13:56
just got a mail saying results will be posted this week. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Shelia
April 1st, 2014, 14:01
just got a mail saying results will be posted this week. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I can't take this it's too soon!!!

SticksPrime
April 1st, 2014, 14:30
I also got the e-mail. I swear the stress of this is much, much greater than final uni exams.
Good luck to all Aussies and I hope Japan loves us that much that we all are accepted.

Shelia
April 1st, 2014, 14:33
I also got the e-mail. I swear the stress of this is much, much greater than final uni exams.
Good luck to all Aussies and I hope Japan loves us that much that we all are accepted.With all the rain in Sydney lately I just hope my letter doesn't get destroyed haha. Why can't we be like the US and get emailed our results.

SticksPrime
April 1st, 2014, 14:38
With all the rain in Sydney lately I just hope my letter doesn't get destroyed haha. Why can't we be like the US and get emailed our results.

Rain? Overcast maybe but no rain on the south-west front. When we were e-mailed regarding interviews, did you get the confirmation letter the next day? I know I did and if so, looks like it's going to be a sleepless night for the two of us.

laurenlouise
April 1st, 2014, 15:00
Hi guys, first time posting here but my friend who applied through the Canberra consulate apparently got an email today notifying her that she was accepted

Shelia
April 1st, 2014, 15:03
Hi guys, first time posting here but my friend who applied through the Canberra consulate apparently got an email today notifying her that she was accepted
Congrats to your friend! I wonder if each consulate decides on their own method of notification.

laurenlouise
April 1st, 2014, 15:15
Congrats to your friend! I wonder if each consulate decides on their own method of notification.

it's possible, there was quite a discrepancy for when interview notifications went out (i'm from Brisbane) so they seem to operate by their own timelines to some extent.
At least the wait is finally over, good luck everyone :038:

SticksPrime
April 1st, 2014, 15:16
Now what would be more heart-wrenching; getting the rejection letter or getting an e-mail saying "April Fool's. Notifications will be sent out NEXT WEEK"?

Shelia
April 1st, 2014, 15:52
Rain? Overcast maybe but no rain on the south-west front. When we were e-mailed regarding interviews, did you get the confirmation letter the next day? I know I did and if so, looks like it's going to be a sleepless night for the two of us.
My interview date notification email was on 29th Jan. The letter I received was dated 31st and I received it on the same day. Hoping for a letter in my mailbox tomorrow or Thursday.

ekm
April 1st, 2014, 20:54
anybody here from melbourne?

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2014, 00:57
Australian updates will probably be out in the next two or three days. They are either the first or quite a bit later. I imagine it has to do with JET coordinator duties.

laurenlouise
April 2nd, 2014, 10:34
Just got an email from the Brisbane coordinator saying she hasn't received the notifications yet, but expects to find out tomorrow, and will then be sending them out by mail (I don't understand why she can't do it via email or phone :() so we probably won't hear until early next week, or Friday if we're lucky. Hope other parts of the country don't keep you all waiting so long :102:

Fruitspunchsamurai
April 2nd, 2014, 10:39
chiming in from Melbourne here, just got an email from the Melbourne consulate. i got shortlisted! be seeing all you lucky guys and gals in tokyo!

Jintor
April 2nd, 2014, 20:28
Sweating bullets up in Sydney, no contact since the initial email yet.

ekm
April 2nd, 2014, 21:54
I'm in Melbourne, got short-listed too! see you in Tokyo :)

chiming in from Melbourne here, just got an email from the Melbourne consulate. i got shortlisted! be seeing all you lucky guys and gals in tokyo!

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 05:04
Congrats to you lucky Melbournians!
Hoping for a letter today.

dzima
April 3rd, 2014, 08:30
Hi, I just signed in to say I'm a short-listed applicant from Sydney.

Sydney people, check your letterboxes!! The consulate sent out the letters yesterday (April 2).

ekm
April 3rd, 2014, 08:31
in regards to the reply form, just wondering is the criminal background check the same as the name check we did earlier on in the application process?

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 08:44
Hi, I just signed in to say I'm a short-listed applicant from Sydney.

Sydney people, check your letterboxes!! The consulate sent out the letters yesterday (April 2).

Congrats! Now I just want to bolt out of the office and go home to check my mailbox haha.

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 08:46
in regards to the reply form, just wondering is the criminal background check the same as the name check we did earlier on in the application process?It should be, since it wasn't compulsory to submit it with your application unless you applied for early departure. But best to check with your JET coordinator.

SticksPrime
April 3rd, 2014, 09:34
It should be, since it wasn't compulsory to submit it with your application unless you applied for early departure

I don't want to put the cart before the horse but since I did apply for early departure, I would presume I wouldn't have to get another criminal background check?

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 09:56
I don't want to put the cart before the horse but since I did apply for early departure, I would presume I wouldn't have to get another criminal background check?

(2) Submission of criminal record and health certificate
(a) In principle, all the short-list candidates and alternates must obtain and submit their criminal records and certificates of health to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General where they were interviewed prior to arriving in Japan. Short-list candidates and alternates who fail to submit these documents by 13 June, 2014 without sufficient reason may be disqualified. However, those who stated they have a criminal history at the time of application must submit their criminal record by 21 of February at the latest (if possible at the time of application). Alternate candidates
upgraded to short list candidates may be required to submit a health certificate again.

^ This is directly from the information document on the Japan embassy website. So if you've submitted it with your application chances are you won't need to submit it again. I don't recall there being requirements of when the check had to have been done as long as it's recent, only the lung scan required for the health certificate had to be taken in the last 3 months or thereabouts.

I would still call the consulate for confirmation, the JET desk is very helpful.

SticksPrime
April 3rd, 2014, 10:00
the JET desk is very helpful.

That they are... Still camped out by the post box Shelia? I know our postie comes by around 1:30-ish

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 10:05
That they are... Still camped out by the post box Shelia? I know our postie comes by around 1:30-ish

At work and contemplating if I should take the rest of the day off. Dad is home but he doesn't have the mailbox key I don't think. No idea when our postie comes since I'm not home during the day on weekdays.

Have you got yours yet?

Jintor
April 3rd, 2014, 12:24
Argh... already collected the mail today, no letter... mgrgrgrgr...

SticksPrime
April 3rd, 2014, 12:30
The postman arrived 20mins ago and was the bringer of bad news. With that, good luck for the rest of us and hope you enjoy your experiences and we'll see if I apply again for next year's intake

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 12:59
Sticks - Sorry to hear that. What's your plan B if you don't mind me asking?

Jintor - At my old place the mail would be delivered twice during a day (but that was when I lived in a big complex) so don't lose hope yet? I have an appointment after work but I just want to bolt straight home and check my mailbox. Sigh. Work is going awfully slow.

SticksPrime
April 3rd, 2014, 13:06
Sticks - Sorry to hear that. What's your plan B if you don't mind me asking?

There was no plan B per se as I was applying for jobs in my industry (Sport & Exercise Science) for the time being to fund the initial start-up costs in Japan for JET. Now that's not happening this year, it'll be the same plan. Unfortunately it's not just Japan that doesn't want to hire me, it's also Australia.

Jintor
April 3rd, 2014, 15:04
No letter today. Guess I find out tomorrow then.

Bad luck Sticks :<

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 15:51
Sticks I feel you, Sydney's job market is pretty crappy atm.

My mum just txted me saying my letter arrived! I'm 1 hour away from home.

Edit: Short-listed woot :D

Jintor
April 3rd, 2014, 18:34
Nice Shelia.

Urgh i'm gonna not be able to sleep tonight

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 18:45
Nice Shelia.

Urgh i'm gonna not be able to sleep tonight
Thanks and I'm sure you'll get yours tomorrow!

Jintor
April 4th, 2014, 10:26
YEAAAAAAAAAAH! SHORTLISTED! \o/

Is the criminal check a national or state level check?

Shelia
April 4th, 2014, 10:47
YEAAAAAAAAAAH! SHORTLISTED! \o/

Is the criminal check a national or state level check?
Congrats! Guess I'll be seeing you again at PDO.

It should be the national name check one but you can confirm that with our JET coordinator. I know I'll be emailing her with some questions regarding the reply form.

danielallen
April 4th, 2014, 18:58
Hello,
My name is Daniel. I am one of the applicants from Perth. Still no news yet. Just that we will be contacted by email. The wait is killing me. Congratulations to the applicants who were shortlisted

Shelia
April 5th, 2014, 10:55
Welcome Daniel. Hope you hear back on Monday!

Went to the doctors for my health certificate and lung scan today, expecting everything to be finalised next week so that I can send off my reply form.

danielallen
April 5th, 2014, 11:00
Thank you I hope so too! Perth only had 15 interviewee's, how about you guys? ? That's great your organised. Can I ask where you guys put as your prefrences? I have okinawa, Hiroshima and nagasaki.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Shelia
April 5th, 2014, 11:11
On my day there were around 25 interviews (did a quick count when the JET coordinator was crossing my name off) and Sydney interviews were over 3 days so around 70 ~ 80 interviews maybe.

My preferences were Nagoya, Tokyo and Osaka.

danielallen
April 5th, 2014, 11:30
Wow that's a lot. Our interviews ran for 3-4 hours and there were two interview rooms. I was the first in and had a good chat with the staff that were in the waiting room. I wish I had found this forum earlier!! I couldn't find anything about the other australians

dzima
April 5th, 2014, 11:39
Sydney coordinator told me there were 55 interviews in total.

Congratulations to you too!

Shelia
April 5th, 2014, 11:47
Sydney coordinator told me there were 55 interviews in total.

Congratulations to you too!
Thanks dzima, that's good to know! What were your placement requests?

I wonder if we'll have something like a facebook group that other countries' consulates organise for short-listers to get to know one another. Then again it would probably be easier to have a meet-up since we're not exactly geographically spread out.

dzima
April 5th, 2014, 12:39
I emailed our coordinator enquiring about an online group with all Sydney short-listers, let's wait and hear what she says.

We could organise something ourselves, who knows, I'm just suggesting something!

Shelia
April 5th, 2014, 12:56
Great, let's hope we do. I'm all up for an unofficial gathering even though there's all of what, 3 short-listed people from Sydney on the boards so far and I already met Jintor at the interview.

dzima
April 5th, 2014, 13:05
I'd up for that too :)

danielallen
April 5th, 2014, 13:08
Skype me in? Haha joking

Feeyonah
April 6th, 2014, 19:14
Hi all! Fiona here from Perth. Interviewed on the 28th Feb, anxiously awaiting results, though v. happy with SOP and interview (except for Japanese q's maybe lol). Cheers for the info Daniel on how we are receiving notification via emails... Guess I'll be addicted to my inbox all week now!! About me... Completed a Bachelor of Arts in Japanese/Chinese this year and preferenced Kobe, Kagoshima and Hiroshima.

danielallen
April 6th, 2014, 20:23
Hi Fiona!! That's awesome another Perth applicant haha its been a nerve wreking wait, hopefully hear something tomorrow seeing the rest of the world has haha :)

Feeyonah
April 6th, 2014, 21:13
I know! I really hope so! It's getting hard to keep hearing the rest of the world's excitement! I want to join in! :P

Benson92
April 6th, 2014, 23:58
Hey guys! Forgot to jump on the forum and let people know that I got short listed last week! Does anyone else who has been shortlisted feel this strange conflict of insanely excited and absolutely terrified? :P Good luck to the guys and girls who haven't found out yet, I was walking to the mail box every morning and checking my email every 2 hours in anticipation.

Feeyonah
April 7th, 2014, 16:05
Still waiting, it's so cruel! So tempted to email/phone them and ask for a release date, but stuck at work, so I'll just have to wait I guess! How long does it take to process all 15 of us?! :P

hello
April 7th, 2014, 16:25
Hello! I received my letter from the Brisbane consulate today - shortlisted :D

danielallen
April 7th, 2014, 19:56
Very cruel Fiona haha!~ Hopefully Tomorrow. Last years applicants found out on the 8th April. I cant wait much longer lol

Feeyonah
April 7th, 2014, 21:46
Me neither! I would actually like some sleep this week! ;) Congrats Hello and Benson on getting short listed!!

hello
April 7th, 2014, 22:40
Thank you! If it's any consolation, the envelope I received was an A4 yellow one, and did not feel very thick... I was quite nervous that it would be a rejection. So relieved and happy once I saw shortlisted... I actually cried haha :) good luck!

laurenlouise
April 8th, 2014, 10:53
Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who was shortlisted! I just got my acceptance letter from the Brisbane consulate too :kaos_chirol_oiwai:
see you all at the Tokyo orientation

Feeyonah
April 8th, 2014, 15:13
Short listed from Perth! Yay!!! Looking forward to meeting you guys at Tokyo orientation! :)

danielallen
April 8th, 2014, 15:19
I'm also shortlisted :) congrats guys! Can't wait to meet you all

Shelia
April 8th, 2014, 16:52
Congrats to the Perth and Brisbane shortlisters!

Tetsamajigger
April 8th, 2014, 23:27
Huzzah! Managed to score a spot! Congrats to my fellow Perthians.

No to get onto that paperwork! So glad the wait is finally over. I was getting a bit whacky with waitingitis :D;) Certainly chirped up my day at work after I checked my emails! Wooo-Hooooo

Condolences to those that didn't make it this time. Perhaps next year.

Jintor
April 9th, 2014, 20:58
Congrats all!

SticksPrime
April 27th, 2014, 13:34
Thought I'd pipe in after my JET rejection. I was just offered a position with Interac so I'll be heading over in late June/early July! I'll keep you fellow Sydney brethren posted on my placement (next month) and hopefully I'd be able to meet and greet some of you. Good luck with the paperwork, alternates I hope you get promoted and talk soon friends

ekm
May 20th, 2014, 15:18
anybody heard where they have been placed?

Shelia
May 20th, 2014, 16:01
Just received an email from Sydney JET coordinator saying placement results are being posted out this week.

EXCITEMENT

danielallen
May 20th, 2014, 16:06
Perth consulate has the placements and will be emailing us in the next couple of days

ekm
May 20th, 2014, 16:40
I have found out! But I am having trouble coming to terms to where I have been placed, so I sent an email to my co-ordinator, hopefully something can be negotiated

Benson92
May 20th, 2014, 16:40
I received my placement result on Sunday (Melbourne consulate) but I'm still waiting on the CO info and handbook

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hello
May 20th, 2014, 17:14
Nothing today in QLD :(

+ ekm, i dont think you can negotiate placements...Being placed somewhere you dont expect is all part of the JET program experience.

Jintor
May 20th, 2014, 17:33
Just received an email from Sydney JET coordinator saying placement results are being posted out this week.

EXCITEMENT

I also have received this electronic mail

Tetsamajigger
May 20th, 2014, 19:26
Perth consulate has the placements and will be emailing us in the next couple of days

Phew, that's good news. Time to start stalking my email account again! :D

danielallen
May 20th, 2014, 19:28
@tetsamajigger haha I thought I'd call to see what was happening. They said they have the placements they are just typing up the emails. But they need to be approved so that's why they said could take a couple of days

ekm
May 21st, 2014, 13:47
Nothing today in QLD :(

+ ekm, i dont think you can negotiate placements...Being placed somewhere you dont expect is all part of the JET program experience.

I have decided to go ahead, and have been placed in Sendai city:)

Gizmotech
May 21st, 2014, 13:51
I have decided to go ahead, and have been placed in Sendai city:)

Well done, welcome to Tohoku!

therealwindycity
May 21st, 2014, 14:28
Congrats! Everyone I know who's been to Sendai has loved it.

Ini
May 21st, 2014, 14:52
Sendai was great until they passed some messed up law so you cant smoke on the street....

hello
May 21st, 2014, 15:47
I got my placement this afternoon (Brisbane Consulate) and posted it in the placement thread :)

dzima
May 21st, 2014, 16:00
Sydney coordinator told me we would be getting a response no later than Friday next week. So a bit of an extra wait for us...

Jintor
May 23rd, 2014, 13:04
Extra wait killin' me. Still no letter.

Jintor
May 23rd, 2014, 18:57
Just got a letter from the Sydney Coordinator - our letters haven't even been posted yet because of info delay for some participants :T

Early next week is best guess

Shelia
May 27th, 2014, 16:34
Sydney letters got posted today. Excitement take 2!!

danielallen
May 27th, 2014, 18:02
Perth jet :) got my placement today. Will be in hirado city nagasaki

pearlconcubine
May 28th, 2014, 08:28
Hi everyone, congrats to all on being accepted. To danielallen, congrats on your placement. I'm based in Matsuura which is the next town over from Hirado and I know all the Hirado JETs really well. It's a great placement. If you have any questions just drop me a line.

dzima
May 28th, 2014, 08:35
Sydneysiders, check your mailboxes. I just received a big package from the consulate!

therealwindycity
May 28th, 2014, 11:59
What's "completely random" about it?

dzima
May 28th, 2014, 12:28
Don't get me wrong, in paper my placement looks pretty good to me and I'm satisfied. It just wasn't really close to any of my requested places - but that's how JET works.

mrcharisma
May 28th, 2014, 12:30
Don't get me wrong, in paper my placement looks pretty good to me and I'm satisfied. It just wasn't really close to any of my requested places - but that's how JET works.

If being "random" is a hobby of yours and you enjoy posting regularly on social media sites about it, you'll fit right in om JET.

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 12:31
I think "not related to the places I requested at all" is a fairly reasonable use of the word "random" guys, step down.

dzima
May 28th, 2014, 12:38
Yes I enjoy randomness as much as I enjoy reading snide remarks on online forums from people who should be doing something better with their time.

mrcharisma
May 28th, 2014, 12:40
Yes I enjoy randomness as much as I enjoy reading snide remarks on online forums from people who should be doing something better with their time.meeow.

uthinkimlost?
May 28th, 2014, 12:45
Yes I enjoy randomness as much as I enjoy reading snide remarks on online forums from people who should be doing something better with their time.

:012:

Gizmotech
May 28th, 2014, 13:08

Lol, just wait till you get to Japan and you'll realize why we're on the forums :P

Shelia
May 28th, 2014, 16:25
Sydneysiders, check your mailboxes. I just received a big package from the consulate!
No brick for me yet. Where did you get placed?

Benson92
May 28th, 2014, 17:11
Melbourne here. I got my general info pack yesterday. Still waiting on the CO info.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tetsamajigger
May 30th, 2014, 21:36
Got my placement email. Says Hyogo, Perth's sister city and earthquake area. Woo woo. Nothing specifying anymore detail than that as yet. Have yet to have a chance to check my PO box. For other aussies, did you guys have specific placements in the email, or did it come in the pack?

Gizmotech
May 31st, 2014, 01:45
If it says hyogo -shi it means your are in hyogo city (Kobe) if it sais hyogo prefecture it us anywhere in the place.

therealwindycity
May 31st, 2014, 15:08
If it says hyogo -shi it means your are in hyogo city (Kobe) if it sais hyogo prefecture it us anywhere in the place.

?? There's no Hyogo-shi. Kobe is Kobe.