PDA

View Full Version : Okayama-ken

Zoe
May 22nd, 2004, 21:47
hello,

Just wondering if anyone else has been placed in Okayama-ken?
i'm bound for kamogata-cho.

Anyone know much about this area??

Zoe :D

Shinikenshi
August 2nd, 2004, 17:58
I just got placed recently in Okayama-shi, Okayama-ken. Nothing else interesting yet.

Any other Group C folks over here? :D

Chris

Ducks
June 10th, 2005, 21:50
Hi there. I'm starting out as an ALT in Okayama-ken in July. I'm in Takebe-cho, very small and I've barely found anything about it. Ring any bells with anyone?

Shinikenshi
June 14th, 2005, 11:15
Howdy.

I've heard of Takebe but that's about it. I think thats where one of them international villas (or perhaps an onsen?) is located.

In either case you are probably well north of Okayama city, ie. civilization. :D

Chris, some dude in Okayama city

dobharrison
June 14th, 2005, 13:01
Takebe is indeed where one of the International Villas is, meaning that it's probably a scenic but very rural area.

Here's the villas website:

http://www.harenet.ne.jp/villa/

Ducks
June 18th, 2005, 07:25
Thanks for that. I got a package of brochures for Takebe Forest Park, Takebe Garden etc etc, it does look very scenic-y. It's about 25-30km north of Okayama-shi, by the way.

dobharrison
June 19th, 2005, 23:11
Okayama City is cool. Pretty quiet, but there are some nice shops and restaurants to go to so don't worry about being too far away from Western comforts.

Plus, there's a great NY-style bagel cafe below Okayama Station. I'm so jealous, as we don't have anything like that here!!!

Ducks
August 1st, 2005, 21:05
I am here in Takebe! This town really is rural... no izakaya. no sushi train. no ramen-ya. but there is PACHINKO! oh dear lord i hate pachinko. A question - there's no supermarket here (only konbini) so where's an easy, decent supermarket in okayama-shi? i've been to the takashimaya food hall and imports shop but they're pricey and not really practical.

Plus, there's a great NY-style bagel cafe below Okayama Station. I'm so jealous, as we don't have anything like that here!!!

Hey! I saw that place! Have to try it next time. Got a half-decent lasagne at Italian Tomato, near Loft and the PO. Okayama has some cool stuff.

dobharrison
August 1st, 2005, 22:26
Yeah, Okayama is cool. Not sure where you'd find a supermarket, though. Check out the Indian restaurant and pizzeria on the top floor of Cred!

Ducks
August 3rd, 2005, 18:57
mmm Indian sounds good...
Not sure where I'd find a supermarket? So where do the locals shop?

Shinikenshi
November 20th, 2005, 04:19
If you are willing to huff it (it helps to know people in the city so you at least won't be bored), Ryobi Platz is the shop of choice for all the city locals. Of course its a bit outside of the city where the rest of the JET in town live.

However, Daiei is a good alternative and its right next to the station.

Hopefully this helps if you haven't already tried these places. :)

-Chris, holy crap its been ages since I've been on ITIL! :^_^: