PDA

View Full Version : Heard nothing.

tedcase
February 3rd, 2014, 17:12
No e-mail, No letter.
I was going to withdraw my application anyway, but i was waiting out of curiosity to see if i was even offered an interview, but nothing has come.

Odd that.

Gizmotech
February 3rd, 2014, 17:42
contact the embassy you applied through?

spman2099
February 4th, 2014, 07:27
contact the embassy you applied through?

I don't know if it is worth the trouble, he was already planning to withdraw.

tedcase
February 4th, 2014, 22:12
According to their voicemail message, they will continue to send out replies until the end of February. I don't know of anyone else who is still waiting. Yes, I have to withdraw my app, but I thought mine was pretty strong and I do want to apply again when I can, so I am really curious as to whether or not I am successful.

Periscope
February 4th, 2014, 22:43
I am a UK applicant waiting too. I heard of some people getting rejection letters in todays post (although I haven't been home yet to check), it doesn't look good.

I am also an ex-JET, so slightly surprised that I didn't get an interview but not the end of the world.

PaddyPakku
February 4th, 2014, 23:07
I got tired of waiting too. I called my embassy and apparently I'm ineligible for this year because my graduation date is too late. Even though it's in July.
M-O-T-H-E-R-F-U-C-K-I-N-G TIMEWASTERS!!! It took them 2 months and 2 weeks to tell me that?! After all that hard-work too.
Fortunately I have interviews with INterac and PKC next month so all is not lost.

Aurano
February 4th, 2014, 23:51
I got a letter today telling me I hadn't been successful for an interview, so I guess all the interview invitations have been sent out. It was nice of them to actually send out a rejection letter because now I know were I stand.

Congratulations to all those who made it to the interview, and to all those who didn't, if you're not an old fart like me then just reapply next year and make your app stronger.

Jamie Solo
February 5th, 2014, 01:05
Sorry to hear that Aurano and Paddy. Good luck with your plan B's!

Ocaoca
February 5th, 2014, 01:38
Sorry to hear that as well. All the best with Interac or other agencies!

Aurano
February 5th, 2014, 02:33
I called my embassy and apparently I'm ineligible for this year because my graduation date is too late. Even though it's in July.

That's a bit weird because I'm pretty sure most universities graduate in July. I did and my university actually finishes slightly earlier than a lot of them because we cut out some half term holiday.

Jamie Solo
February 5th, 2014, 02:38
Could it be something to do about when you get your certificate? An ex-JET I know said that she was at literally waiting until the day before she was supposed to be flying out for the University to send her certificate, and she was told by the JET desk that if she didn't show it, they wouldn't let her get on the plane.

Gizmotech
February 5th, 2014, 02:38
Ya, I was kinda thinking that too actually.

Aurano
February 5th, 2014, 03:12
I got my certificate on the day I graduated in a envelope along with my transcript and a few other bits and bobs. I'm not sure how other universities do it but surely you could just show JET your pre-graduation letter stating that you have passed your degree.

Shincantsen
February 5th, 2014, 03:19
If it's like the US, the certificate/degree is a requirement for the visa, so there's probably not a lot JET/CLAIR can do about it.

PaddyPakku
February 5th, 2014, 03:37
I think it's a case of needing a certificate before I leave. Graduation at my university is generally from the last week of July until the first week of August. The university couldn't provide a specific date. This coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that I will graduate and that I'm young and have no formal teaching experience, gave them permission to dash my application to the wind. *le sigh*

Does anybody, rejected or successful, have any backup plans?

Ocaoca
February 5th, 2014, 03:43
It seems your graduation week is the same week as the flights out if the dates that were posted before were right. That sucks completely. You said you were applying for other things though, right? Don't lose hope!

Jamie Solo
February 5th, 2014, 05:57
In my Uni, you don't get anything on your actual graduation. I graduated mid-July and didn't get my certificate until the end of August.

And I just went back through my e-mails to check. She said it was a visa thing as well, and she also went to my uni.

PoorYorick
February 5th, 2014, 07:26
I think it's a case of needing a certificate before I leave. Graduation at my university is generally from the last week of July until the first week of August. The university couldn't provide a specific date. This coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that I will graduate and that I'm young and have no formal teaching experience, gave them permission to dash my application to the wind. *le sigh*

If I pull a Hal Incandenza during the interview I'm just going to go write copy and apply again next year.

Ini
February 5th, 2014, 08:18
it clearly states on the website that you must graduate before july departure. If you knew your university doesn't hold graduation until the last week of july/first week of august did you not think that would be a problem before you wasted 4 months applying?

PaddyPakku
February 5th, 2014, 09:03
1) The UK JET desk receptionist told me that as long as I had a note from my school sometime in July saying that I had passed my exams and would be getting a certificate soon, it wouldn't be an issue.

2) Like...Weren't you banned?!!?!

word
February 5th, 2014, 09:16
We usually only perma-ban people for the most serious of offenses (spamming). Trolling and the like generally earns a mere temporary ban.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2014, 09:23
1) The UK JET desk receptionist told me that as long as I had a note from my school sometime in July saying that I had passed my exams and would be getting a certificate soon, it wouldn't be an issue.

It wasn't an issue for me.

But I did phone them up and they confirmed that they knew my college was a special case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Aurano
February 5th, 2014, 10:26
Ini banned? He's a rockstar here! lol!!

Aurano
February 5th, 2014, 10:34

I'm just going straight on to what I was planning on doing after JET anyway, a Post-graduate certificate of Education. Post-compulsory of course! Almost finished my UCAS app for it.

Ocaoca
February 5th, 2014, 17:03
Good luck Aurano! Just a word of warning though, you know Gove is cutting Sixth form college funding (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exclusive-alevel-courses-closed-as-michael-gove-cuts-100m-from-sixthform-colleges-9102755.html)?

tedcase
February 5th, 2014, 18:19
I went on jet with just a ref letter from my tutor. Graduation was held a few weeks after I arrived.

Aurano
February 5th, 2014, 22:14
Good luck Aurano! Just a word of warning though, you know Gove is cutting Sixth form college funding (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exclusive-alevel-courses-closed-as-michael-gove-cuts-100m-from-sixthform-colleges-9102755.html)?

Yeah, it's kind of bad news for me considering I'm going to study post-compulsory, but I really can't see something as ridiculous as cutting a-level funding working.

Ever since those bloody conservatives have got in to power they have done nothing but ruin this countries education system. It's their method of discreetly distinguishing class divide in the next few decades; what the conservatives were always best at doing. Not only that, but we are probably going to see a massive brain drain in the country in a couple of decades as well. They obviously don't know how to deal with a recession properly, if they did they would understand that a countries economy oscillates so drastic cuts to education, as well as other things, will either flat line the oscillation and fail to stimulate any real growth, or sling shot us in to an even worse recession in 30 years time.

Conservatives are just a bunch of dumb closet homosexual rich boys with too much power. Saying that though, so are most politicians.

Ocaoca
February 6th, 2014, 07:55
Conservatives are just a bunch of dumb closet homosexual rich boys with too much power. Saying that though, so are most politicians.

Did not realise being homosexual had much to do with education one way or the other, but for the most part there I agree with you. One thing to remember though is that schools had a similar attitude to you (oh he won't change pay scales, oh he won't change pensions that much, oh he won't pass those curriculum changes) and yet every single change so far has got through and made many teacher's lives much worse for it. You might be better training in Secondary overall, then going onto a school with a sixth form that won't be affected as badly by the changes if he does withdraw Further Education funding.

Ini
February 6th, 2014, 08:35
while this call to arms for the proletariat to rise up against their bourgeoisie oppressors is fascinating what has it got to do with JET interview notifications? I'm sure you could go preach your Marxist agenda in a student union somewhere

Aurano
February 6th, 2014, 10:57
Marxist agenda!? Wouldn't go that far...

But you're right, it has fuck all to do with the topic at hand, so feel free to remove thy comment!

It's not like you to be all righteous to the topic at hand anyway Ini. Do the admins have your balls in a vice or something?

AltDimension
February 11th, 2014, 20:11
I got tired of waiting too. I called my embassy and apparently I'm ineligible for this year because my graduation date is too late. Even though it's in July.
M-O-T-H-E-R-F-U-C-K-I-N-G TIMEWASTERS!!! It took them 2 months and 2 weeks to tell me that?! After all that hard-work too.
Fortunately I have interviews with INterac and PKC next month so all is not lost.
That's madness, since we have the same graduation week...

uthinkimlost?
February 11th, 2014, 21:18

I would doubt they even keep real records on the reasoning for the rejections.

PaddyPakku
February 12th, 2014, 01:09

My graduation week is the last week of July, going into early August. That's just after JETs fly off to Tokyo, from what I've heard.

AltDimension
February 12th, 2014, 02:03
My graduation week is the last week of July, going into early August. That's just after JETs fly off to Tokyo, from what I've heard.
Odd, would have thought we'd have the same graduation week. Our university in question said to me that graduation was provisionally set for 14th to 18th July.

PaddyPakku
February 12th, 2014, 02:19
Odd, would have thought we'd have the same graduation week. Our university in question said to me that graduation was provisionally set for 14th to 18th July.

I think my course is a little different as we had an extended summer course for extra credits last year and this year. Maybe that had something to do with it? Either way, good luck with your results in April!!

I would doubt they even keep real records on the reasoning for the rejections.

I thought so too, initially. The woman brought my file up and told me my graduation date disqualified me.
It's possible she just said that to soothe the pain but, it sounded genuine.

johnny
February 12th, 2014, 08:29
That is weak dude. I hope you make it another way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yingyangryder
February 12th, 2014, 14:03
Paddy, I missed my graduation. But I received my results and degree classification in May, the ceremony was in September but I couldn`t go. Sucks to hear that.

Oli0
February 13th, 2014, 02:56
Surely you finish all your exams a few weeks before the actual official graduation though? My graduation week is in mid July but I just put down end of June as I know all my exams will be over by then, you're not obliged to attend the ceremony.

SticksPrime
February 13th, 2014, 16:57
You guys have weird graduation dates... I graduated in December so I don't think I've ever been stressed about graduating in time

Jedirust
February 14th, 2014, 01:56
My college had several graduations. May, August, or December. It just depended on when you finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SticksPrime
February 14th, 2014, 02:27
My college had several graduations. May, August, or December. It just depended on when you finished.

We held ours April, August, or December. My last exam was about 20th November, exams were marked around 5th December, graduation was 19th of December.