PDA

View Full Version : Medical in the UK

Nelson
April 13th, 2005, 17:44
Christ, is anyone else having to shell out £50-60 for this cos its not covered by the NHS? Bloody ridiculous. I know i'm healthy, i may as well sign myself off! Well maybe not.

Sam
April 13th, 2005, 17:47
Yeah, the price bites but I like the attention.

cosmic
April 13th, 2005, 18:23
Yeah, I'm in OZ and I called them to see whether I actually need an X-ray. The lady said yes - they actually want the Film No on the form. So I trot along to the GP and he said the whole deal's not covered by medicare, so the total amount turned out to be A$146. The irony is the X-ray didn't even have a Film No.! So that part ended up being blank anyway. I reckon there'd be some 'more reasonable' GPs out there who'd use a loophole and get it under some health cover and also dismiss the necessity of an X-ray, but unfortunately not mine.

zz_alex_zz
April 13th, 2005, 19:02
I just went to the doctors at my uni cos that's where I'm registered. They didn't charge me a penny! As has been said on here a few times - you don't need the x-ray. The application guide does say that this can be omitted from the certificate as long as the doctor signs it off (I'm only speaking from a UK point of view here).

Maybe I was just lucky and didn't have to pay. It will take them about 20-30 minutes to do it all, but it's not worth paying £50.

Nelson
April 13th, 2005, 19:30
i went to my uni doctor this morning and he said i had to have a 30 minute check up and it would cost me so how the hell did u get away with it? Was i supposed to slip him a sly tenner or something. Suppose i could've licked my finger, rubbed my nipple and see what he made of that.....

Shotokai
April 13th, 2005, 20:27
it seems that Doctors in the UK can charge whatever they like for this kind of thing. it's not essential/covered by the NHS and in my case it was after the surgery had closed for the day so in their own time.

it's like them charging for sick notes, they'll treat it for free but charge u to get out of work.

rynelm
April 13th, 2005, 20:27
My doctor's at university told me on the phone it would cost £44... but then when I was there they didn't mention money at all, and I didn't even remember I was supposed to pay until I was on my way back home!

Hmm, I wonder if I just got away without paying, or if I'm going to have a bill come through the post or something.

zz_alex_zz
April 13th, 2005, 20:40
Well I think I kinda scraped my way through due to my own stupidity. Instead of telling the receptionist what I needed to see the doctor for, I just made an appointment and explained it all to the doctor. Looks like the good lord was shining down on me that day because the doctor said her son was planning to go to Japan next year, so maybe that's why she didn't charge me... :D

I expected her to just differ me or something.

April 13th, 2005, 21:59
I've got mine tomorrow and they're going to charge me £75! Ouch! They bloody well better say I don't need an X-ray when they're charging me that much!

zz_alex_zz
April 13th, 2005, 22:05
They bloody well better say I don't need an X-ray when they're charging me that much!

For £75 I'd want CAT scans, a pace maker, waxed legs, and the job lot!

yabighoor
April 14th, 2005, 09:10
I got completely jipped last year for the medical exam...75 pounds for a gimp doctor asking me how much i weighed and what height i was and then taking blood pressure. It was sooooo painful handing that over!! Try going to your university doctor looking as much like a scruffy student as you can muster and you`ll probably get out of paying...if only i had known...

PS get used to paying loads of money...going on JET was one of the most expensive times of my life thus far, they lull you into a false sense of security by giving you the plane ticket butthen you have to pay for shipping costs, work clothes bla de bla de bla....

OK sorry this has turned into my very own personal

THREADWANK!!!!

Dave
April 14th, 2005, 12:49
dudes, check out your university health service. They`ll probably do it for free (mine did anyway)

adammoogle
April 14th, 2005, 13:15
by all means check it out but your as likely to pay there as you are anywhere...its a complete lottery...mine cost just 15 quid (once i actually managed to get passed the nazi receptionist who refused to make me an appointment)-WARNING RANT ALERT-pet hate here but i HATE the spiteful old women they have running these surgerys, the drs are mostly great but the receptionists are the devils own cancerous hell spawn...they are the most misserable people on earth, you go in to your gp, felling low, vunerable and sick and they attack you with forms, questions, abuse, anything so you won't get an appointment until 2 weeks later...if at all...they are aggressive, unhelpful and evil, i suggest they are all strapped to those crappy gp chairs and have natto pumped into them threw there eyeballs until they explode :) )

Hannah
April 14th, 2005, 13:22
I paid something like 75 quid last year cos I made the appoitment especially for a medical exam. I had to go to the sugery b4 it opened for regular appointments. It took all of 5-10 minutes where he weighed me, measured my height, took a wee wee sample, blood pressure, a hearing and an eye test.

I didn't have an xray as the doctor deemed it antiquated and unneccessary!

Then, a couple of months later I had to have a medical for my BoE! (everyone who works for the city had one) The lack of communication in Japan is poor... Surely they could have found out the results. I refused the xray, because they think I had one to get on the JET program!! They said it will be difficult to get out of next time...

My advice, make a normal appointment for the docs and don't tell them what it is for. From what I remember last year, people who did that got out of paying!

dobharrison
April 14th, 2005, 13:32
My advice, make a normal appointment for the docs and don't tell them what it is for. From what I remember last year, people who did that got out of paying!

Yeah, I did that (unintentionally!) and my doctor filled in my form for free. He mentioned having to pay, but nothing was ever done about it!

Pandilex
April 14th, 2005, 16:35
My doctor said I'd have to leave the form with him and he'd get back to me with the cost :/

jamietera
April 14th, 2005, 19:02
btw, did anyone else check out the urinalysis section on the med form?

Occult blood?

That's the last time i store my satanic sacrifice ingredients inside my penis, i tell you...

sorry :D

Ock
April 14th, 2005, 19:29
retired

adammoogle
April 14th, 2005, 23:12
the occult is any unusual substance floating around in your pee...pray u don't have anything or u won't be worrying about recontracting next year...

April 15th, 2005, 07:02
Wa-hay! Result!

Went for my £75 medical and managed to wangle it free. I actually forgot to mention it to the receptionist as I walked out and only realised half-way home. It's not as if they're on the look-out for fee dodgers. Anyway, if they want to charge it to me, then they can always send me a bill. But for the moment I'm quids in. Beer, anyone?? :D

nicklad
April 15th, 2005, 09:40
So thats why the NHS said they had no money for my grandma's hip replacement surgery.

dobharrison
April 15th, 2005, 10:15
the occult is any unusual substance floating around in your pee...pray u don't have anything or u won't be worrying about recontracting next year...

Can you get that from listening to Marilyn Manson?

Shotokai
April 15th, 2005, 12:10
the literal meaning of the word Occult is hidden, it truely has little to do with paganism satanism or anything "occult" in its literal form.

so in this case it means hidden blood.

nicklad
April 15th, 2005, 14:37
Its nice to have a dictionary handy.

dobharrison
April 15th, 2005, 15:39
No Marilyn Manson, then? :(

Hannah
April 15th, 2005, 18:25
Dob, do you want Marilyn Manson floating around in your pee? :?:

Tut, goths, I dunno :o