PDA

View Full Version : How to correct yourself in Japanese...

spman2099
February 6th, 2014, 19:29
If I stumble while speaking Japanese, how should I correct myself? For instance, if I used ohayou gozaimasu during the evening, and I wanted to correct myself, would I simply say gomennasai, repeat the same sentence, but this time exchanging ohayou gozaimasu with konnichiwa? Would that be adequate? Or am I way off?

So, obviously my Japanese is FAR from being great. I anticipate screwing up frequently, so I feel like I should learn how to fix my gaffes. I would appreciate any assistance.

zombiekelly
February 6th, 2014, 20:19
Usually "gomen, machigaemashita ~" or "shitsureshimashita ~" works for me. Honestly, they're happy you're at least making an effort, so I doubt they'll make fun of you for using the wrong phrase to correct yourself.

Gizmotech
February 6th, 2014, 23:53
I usually go for:

AHH shit! Machigaeta.

Extra emphasis on the shit depending on who you are with. Works wonders.

genkispirit
February 7th, 2014, 09:32
If I stumble while speaking Japanese, how should I correct myself? For instance, if I used ohayou gozaimasu during the evening, and I wanted to correct myself, would I simply say gomennasai, repeat the same sentence, but this time exchanging ohayou gozaimasu with konnichiwa? Would that be adequate? Or am I way off?

So, obviously my Japanese is FAR from being great. I anticipate screwing up frequently, so I feel like I should learn how to fix my gaffes. I would appreciate any assistance.

I usually just plaster a confused look on my face and say すみません。 It shows that you know what you said was incorrect, and the face might convey that you don't want them to take what you said the wrong way (in the event that you mispronounced something and it turned out to be a completely different word).

Jiggit
February 7th, 2014, 09:41
I usually go for:

AHH shit! Machigaeta.

Extra emphasis on the shit depending on who you are with. Works wonders.

Oo mai gaa!

mada fakka

Ini
February 7th, 2014, 13:04
flip a table before anyone has time to realise you made a mistake.

its better to be thought a violent schizophrenic than a stereotypical roundeye who cant speak japanese.

ihatefall
February 7th, 2014, 14:51
I think Ini is racist against all races

Gizmotech
February 7th, 2014, 15:13
I think Ini is racist against all races

Once you know Ini, you realize he isn't racist at all. He's an equal opportunity discriminator. Everyone and Everything is game.

ihatefall
February 7th, 2014, 15:14
Once you know Ini, you realize he isn't racist at all. He's an equal opportunity discriminator. Everyone and Everything is game.

I can get behind that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therealwindycity
February 7th, 2014, 15:53

He's racist for the sake of irking people like me. I doubt he actually cares one way or the other

ihatefall
February 7th, 2014, 16:35
As long as it's equal I don't care. Ini's username should be I hate people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epikzwei
February 16th, 2014, 16:03
Oo mai gaa!

mada fakka
+1

BeckyJones
March 10th, 2014, 15:46
anything really. an "ack" or a "doh" or anything really. あああ 違う ごめん、 does wonders or ハハハ違う、それは馬鹿だな、