PDA

View Full Version : State of the USA JET website

LaVie
February 27th, 2014, 10:06
Though I hope you are Canadian because looking up information on the American JET website is like time travelling back to before people thought of web 2.0. God that is an ugly site.

And you know what the worst part is? The papyrus font isn't even limited to the website. It was on the voucher, the confidentiality agreement, and the sheet detailing how to prepare for the interview and how to find the embassy. Oh, and on the actual application.

miamicoordinator
February 27th, 2014, 10:40
Agreed. Even living in Japan, it's hard for me to answer that question.

I've always wondered that. I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why that site is so... boring/ugly lol. It needs to be renovated asap.

I can give some insight here.

At my consulate, i am the webmaster. I have 0 web building xp, never used dream weaver before my position and yet i am expected to build and maintain our website. When i was transfered over to the culture section i inherited the responsibility.

"Cant we hire a professional webmaster?"

Nope. No money. We are a skeleton crew. 2 people in my whole p.r and culture section, for the whole state of florida. Its just the nature of rhe best.

None of the coordinators love the website. We know it ia old and outdated, but we have so many responsibilities at work, things like this are often pushed to the side.

Kdes23
February 27th, 2014, 10:46

At my consulate, i am the webmaster. I have 0 web building xp, never used dream weaver before my position and yet i am expected to build and maintain our website. When i was transfered over to the culture section i inherited the responsibility.

Nope. No money. We are a skeleton crew. 2 people in my whole p.r and culture section, for the whole state of florida. Its just the nature of rhe best.

None of the coordinators love the website. We know it ia old and outdated, but we have so many responsibilities at work, things like this are often pushed to the side.

That's a good explanation. In that case, my apologizes. I commend your efforts.

Gizmotech
February 27th, 2014, 12:38

Ya, sorry it comes off as a dig against ya, but it really should be more obvious to your powers that be that a small refresh is in their best interest as it looks amazingly unprofessional for a professional international exchange.

I mean, 4 years ago the Canada one wasn't much better, but atleast it matched the rest of the Japanese embassy pages at that time. Then it was replaced with a wordpress, which makes it much easier for a regular joe like yourself to update and modify.

Shincantsen
February 28th, 2014, 00:02
Ya, sorry it comes off as a dig against ya, but it really should be more obvious to your powers that be that a small refresh is in their best interest as it looks amazingly unprofessional for a professional international exchange.

When the powers that be are Japanese, do you really expect them to be able to distinguish a bad website from a good one?

Jedirust
February 28th, 2014, 00:35
I really could build you a better website. There are some great plug and play wordpress kits that would suit you well. It would take half a day to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antonath
February 28th, 2014, 08:37
Broke this out because "Why Japan?" is an important thread, and while this is an interesting discussion, it's not relevant to that one. This thread will probably get moved to "Japan / JET-related" soon, but I'm leaving it here for now so people don't wonder where it went.

Jiggit
February 28th, 2014, 08:40
"The US JET website is bad"
"I know but there's no chance it'll be changed soon"
"Oh I see"

Riveting.

Antonath
February 28th, 2014, 08:50
"The US JET website is bad"
"I know but there's no chance it'll be changed soon"
"Oh I see"

Riveting.
"It's bad"
"This is why it's bad"
"Here's some ideas that might help"

Yeah, can't see any value in that at all. Besides, with CLAIR flexing their muscles, who knows what'll happen to the JET websites.

Shincantsen
February 28th, 2014, 11:36
If you think the website will change when there is nothing practically wrong with it, you must not be very familiar with the way Japanese government works.

Antonath
February 28th, 2014, 11:53
If you think the website will change when there is nothing practically wrong with it, you must not be very familiar with the way Japanese government works.
I'm just wondering if they'll just have the embassies link to the main CLAIR site. They seem to be bringing everything back under their control, and the vastly different embassy JET sites have been a common cause of issues for applicants. Sure, the embassies have different schedules for application and interviews, but nonsense like the SOP page limit / word limit issue should have been standardised years ago. If nothing else, it would make CLAIR's job easier once the applications get to Tokyo.