PDA

View Full Version : Best location in JET

par92186
March 12th, 2014, 15:29
So I'm curious....what is the best town, city, or prefecture to be placed and why? I assume it varies a lot on the person and other JET's going to a certain location each year, but as a general guess.....which location/s are typically the best?

Some examples for being "the best" could be based on, weather, seasonal events, accessibility to transportation around Japan, food, nightlife, BOE, and amazing apartments. Of course I am eager to hear all perspectives, so let's hear it! Also, I'm most curious about the locations with the best apartments, BOE, and food.

Ini
March 12th, 2014, 15:39
all of japan is basically the same. some bits are hotter than others, some are colder, saitama has more rapists. Doesn't really matter, you're going to end up in the arse end of nowhere dreaming of moving to tokyo and eating the same old shit as every other JET in the country.

word
March 12th, 2014, 15:52
Matsumoto City, Nagano Prefecture.

Best castle in all of Japan. Only an hour's drive from some of the best snowboarding in Japan. Easy expressway access to Tokyo or Nagoya, also good, fast trains. Not too cold in the winter, not too hot in the summer. "Young" feel, unlike Nagano City (so f*cking old and crappy), plenty of young people and trendy shops and sh*t, as well as a decent community of expats. The last Matsumoto ALT I knew had a f*cking MASSIVE house near the school grounds that was provided rent-free. Fewer rapists than Saitama.

Gizmotech
March 12th, 2014, 16:38
Anywhere that isn't tohoku or hokkaido. Fuck winter.

mothy
March 12th, 2014, 17:25
Not Saitama.

Jiggit
March 12th, 2014, 18:17
Not Saitama.

I heard there was a nice cafe there one time though?

MJN
March 12th, 2014, 18:33
all of japan is basically the same. some bits are hotter than others, some are colder, saitama has more rapists. Doesn't really matter, you're going to end up in the arse end of nowhere dreaming of moving to tokyo and eating the same old shit as every other JET in the country.

I think something's massively bittered me, but this. Japan is annoyingly, depressingly.. same-y across the country. Buttfuck inaka tohoku looks like buttfuck inaka kyushu, you'll have the same 109 year old baachanosaur narking at you to do your bins right, you'll have the same odd sense of rot because all the young people have fecked off to Tokyo.

What makes it different in the weather, really. It turns pink, white, green, and orange at different times for different lengths.

That's not to say it's not beautiful, though. Sometimes.

johnny
March 12th, 2014, 20:34
I love my city. It's cheap and convenient. I am an eight minute train ride from a shinkansen station. From there I am a half-hour away from Hiroshima and about forty-five minutes from Fukuoka.

I live in one of the smaller cities in Japan that is actually growing. My schools are packed with kids and enrollment is increasing next school year. We don't have a Starbucks, but we have a lot of really nice cafes in the area that serve really nice coffee.

It doesn't get very cold in the winter, but it gets really hot in the summer.

Also, my BOE is pretty damn good all things considered.

OdysseyOfNoises
March 12th, 2014, 21:00
Kyoto City.

Ini
March 12th, 2014, 21:34
Kyoto???? There's fuck all to do there apart from look at "ancient" temples that get rebuilt every 25years.

Teishou
March 13th, 2014, 11:41
Hokkaido has the best food.

Ini
March 13th, 2014, 11:55
enjoy your food while you are freezing to death, shovelling snow and being hundreds of miles from civilisation......

Kdes23
March 13th, 2014, 11:57
ITT: Don't go to Saitama or you'll get raped AND everywhere in Japan is the same.

Ini
March 13th, 2014, 12:00
pretty much.

coop52
March 13th, 2014, 12:23
Everywhere is hot in summer, cold in winter, and has big bugs. You should choose your placements by how likely you'd be run over by an old person.

Kdes23
March 13th, 2014, 12:26
You should choose your placements by how likely you'd be run over by an old person.

That should be easy. Just find out which dealerships sell the most kei-trucks and that'll be your dead give away to stay away from those places.

Ini
March 13th, 2014, 12:30
i dunno, I reckon a kei truck would come out worse off if it drove into me at low speed, those things are made of crepe paper. its the old dears driving 3lt toyota crowns but are too small to see over the steering wheel that you need to watch out for.

MJN
March 13th, 2014, 12:55
I'm surprised no one has brought up bathtubs and sand yet.

Ini
March 13th, 2014, 12:58
oooo, good point. If you come to Saitama you will get raped but the 2 highest profile cases of rape and murder of foreign women happened in Chiba. Basically if you have a vagina stay out of kanto.

BeckyJones
March 13th, 2014, 13:00
Anyplace outside THE city is going to be pretty similar. I could show you a photo of Nagoya, Sendai, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Niigata, Maebashi, Tsukuba, Mito, etc etc and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Once you get out of the urban area, the countryside is also pretty damn homogenous.

I.E. the point of this post, and the point of a lot of peoples posts here. There really isn't that big a difference, and if/when you come here you will probably find that place to be to your liking. So don't think about it, or worry about it unless you are really affected by the weather (i.e. hate the cold... don't go north)

mrcharisma
March 13th, 2014, 13:18
Anyplace outside THE city is going to be pretty similar. I could show you a photo of Nagoya, Sendai, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Niigata, Maebashi, Tsukuba, Mito, etc etc and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Once you get out of the urban area, the countryside is also pretty damn homogenous.

I.E. the point of this post, and the point of a lot of peoples posts here. There really isn't that big a difference, and if/when you come here you will probably find that place to be to your liking. So don't think about it, or worry about it unless you are really affected by the weather (i.e. hate the cold... don't go north)

Assuming "THE city" means Tokyo I'd maybe group Osaka closer to that than the other cities above.

Personally I'd opt for Otsu / Kusatsu if I could request again. It's the Saitama of Kansai.

BeckyJones
March 13th, 2014, 15:42
Assuming "THE city" means Tokyo I'd maybe group Osaka closer to that than the other cities above.

Personally I'd opt for Otsu / Kusatsu if I could request again. It's the Saitama of Kansai.

THE city does mean Tokyo. I didn't put Osaka in that list because Osaka at least has its own flavor. But really, most people always seem to want THE city and JET isn't going to provide that. Sure, there are a lucky 4 or 5 people who get placed near THE city but for the rest of the lot you are going to be someplace out in the country or near a major city you havn't heard of.

I personally think that is a great thing. When I did JET the closest major city was Fukuoka and it was great. Now I live near Tokyo and Tokyo sucks ass compared to Fukuoka, If i was placed near Tokyo I would of missed out on a hell of a lot of fun

mothy
March 13th, 2014, 16:45
Oh that reminds me, also not Osaka.

Shincantsen
March 13th, 2014, 22:40
My guess is that the best placement is in Kobe. JETs are actually placed in the city, it's a gorgeous place, and I heard they get summers off.

Otsu is a really shitty city but it's really close to Kyoto/easy to get to Osaka. Kusatsu is much nicer, but I'm not sure where the JET there is placed. Shiga in general is pretty nice, as long as you're on the right side of the lake.

Page
March 14th, 2014, 08:44
^ I second any BOE that gives their JETs summer (and BOE days) off. A few cities in our prefecture do this (though you are required to stay in the city, nenq has to be taken for leaving the area as far as I know).

Pretty much what BJ said, all of Japan will net you nearly the same experiences (minus the obvious weather-related ones)--the only difference is convenience, access to foreign stuff, and levels of staring.

Gizmotech
March 14th, 2014, 08:58
Agree with Page.

So the list so far:
No Tohoku
No Saitama
No Osaka

Everywhere else, exactly the same. Some have better perks.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
March 14th, 2014, 09:32
Well I'm in Hokkaido, and I love it here - but that's mostly because I'm boring. Don't come up north if you're after nightlife, unless you're willing to drive for hours to find it. On the plus side if you're from small English town #275, you'll feel right at home in Hokkaido - same lack of people aged between 18 and 30, same short drives to a cold, stony beach, and same feeling that if the wind blew really heard and knocked over a sign it would be all anyone talked about for several weeks.

It's perfect!

HorseFeathers
March 14th, 2014, 12:09
Why do people keep saying that about Saitama? Is it really that bad there?

MJN
March 14th, 2014, 12:18
Agree with Page.

So the list so far:
No Tohoku
No Saitama
No Osaka

Everywhere else, exactly the same. Some have better perks.

I really want to slander my former almost-BOE that asked me to hand in my passport & driver's licence. No to them, too.

word
March 14th, 2014, 12:20

It's a running joke here on ITIL, but, like all stereotypes, it is very much rooted in an unfortunate reality. Saitama is the Detroit of Japan.

Azrael
March 14th, 2014, 12:21
Saitama is the worst place in Japan. Its one of the few things foreigners and the Japanese agree on.

johnny
March 14th, 2014, 20:15
Saitama is the worst place in Japan. Its one of the few things foreigners and the Japanese agree on.

Saitama has a neat train museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy
March 14th, 2014, 21:48
Yes.

Saitama has a neat train museum.

It has a train museum. Lets not get carried away.

johnny
March 15th, 2014, 19:41
Yes.

It has a train museum. Lets not get carried away.

I guess that is a little too otaku, eh?

Jiggit
March 15th, 2014, 21:06
It certainly isn't a little too interesting.

BeckyJones
March 17th, 2014, 13:19

Saitama is the boring/poor outskirts of Tokyo, and everyone who lives there takes the train into THE city to party/shop. Think of it like, New Jersey.

Azrael
March 17th, 2014, 13:23
it takes ages to get to tokyo from saitama. The only people who live in saitama are the ones working factory jobs and they certainly cant afford to go party or shop in tokyo.

OdysseyOfNoises
March 17th, 2014, 14:19
Kusatsu is much nicer, but I'm not sure where the JET there is placed. Shiga in general is pretty nice, as long as you're on the right side of the lake.

There are about three JETs placed in the Kusatsu area (including Ritto). I actually prefer Otsu to Kusatsu but maybe that's just me.

BeckyJones
March 17th, 2014, 14:21
it takes ages to get to tokyo from saitama. The only people who live in saitama are the ones working factory jobs and they certainly cant afford to go party or shop in tokyo.

under 2 hours isn't ages.

Azrael
March 17th, 2014, 14:22
it is in my book

par92186
March 17th, 2014, 15:20
Great posts, thanks! I had put down Kobe City as my first choice and in my interview I was able to back it up when they asked me about it, so I'm really crossing my fingers. I did hear from a friend that Saitama was an armpit, but I'm from NJ, so I guess if I was placed there it'd be like I never moved at all lol jk

kenkennif
March 17th, 2014, 15:54
I'm going to have to stick up for Tohoku - Akita is smashing.

Before I left the UK I knew nothing about this place but at the event they hosted for the accepted JETs in the London Japan Embassy prior to departure, every Japanese person I met at that party told me the same three things: "Akita is famous for the best rice in Japan, the best sake in Japan and the best women in Japan."

They were spot on about all three - they don't use the expression 秋田美人 for nothing, if you like your ladies looking hot then here is the place for you - (the rest of Tohoku is pretty shitty though... apart from Yamagata, it's not bad.)

Azrael
March 17th, 2014, 16:05
they don't use the expression 秋田美人 for nothing, if you like your ladies with squeaky voices and stumpy legs then here is the place for you

akita have been clinging on to that for decades despite the standards of beauty changing. I guess if you want some dwarf who hasnt seen the sun since they were a child then maybe its the place for you.

Page
March 18th, 2014, 19:03
To be fair, though, everyone in every prefecture parrots that they have the best rice, best sake, best ___.

johnny
March 18th, 2014, 19:11
My prefecture talks up their fugu.

BeckyJones
March 19th, 2014, 08:28
To be fair, though, everyone in every prefecture parrots that they have the best rice, best sake, best ___.

yup. So take that shit with a grain of salt. BLA BLA BLA has the best pears in Japan, BLA BLA BLA, has one of the 3 best smells in Japan... etc etc

kenkennif
March 19th, 2014, 09:21
One thing I know for certain, I am not one of the three best smells in Japan today.

Enkai last night and I nearly missed work this morning, I think I smell like a rotten brewery today!! :\

(Thank god for those stupid masks.)