PDA

View Full Version : Driving Violation on IDP

kenkennif
March 17th, 2014, 15:40
Hey guys,

Got a friend who was caught by a roadside camera going slightly above 100kmph in a 50kmph zone and they were asking me at the weekend for advice on what to expect - it was their first time offence in Japan (unlike myself who has been pulled over four times) but they are still driving under their International Driving Permit - Does anybody have any idea what kind of fine/repercussions they are likely to expect?

I found this online which suggested that speeding at 50kmph over came with 12 points on their Japanese license and a hefty fine but it didn't mention what the case would be if the driver was still using their IDP:

http://www.supermelf.com/japan/ajetdrivingbook/DrivinginJapanandPassingtheDriversTest.pdf

If anybody has any better idea about it I'm sure that they would be greatful of the help.

Cheers.

Azrael
March 17th, 2014, 15:55
if the search function wasnt buggered (again......) i'd tell you to search out Pumas posts as he did something similar a few years back.

Antonath
March 17th, 2014, 15:57
When you say "still" driving on their IDP, do you mean after the 12-month validity? If so, there will probably be massive repercussions, beyond a simple speeding offense.

If you meant their IDP is valid, they just haven't transferred to a Japanese license yet, then it will probably be similar to having a Japanese license, and any points will likely be dumped on their license if/when they transfer.

Azrael
March 17th, 2014, 15:58
If I remember they cant give you any points so its probably just a massive fine.

therealwindycity
March 17th, 2014, 16:01
Tell your friend to be very, very apologetic, beg for forgiveness, and promise to get his Japanese license converted as soon as possible. In cases of IDP I imagine it's largely up to how strict the police are feeling. They can't revoke your IDP, but they can give you a pretty big fine.

kenkennif
March 17th, 2014, 16:07
That's good advice, I'll tell her to get on the JP license as soon as possible then.

Her IDP is still valid until August so there's no worries about that part Antonath.