PDA

View Full Version : T Minus one week until we start finding out

Randomgirl
March 27th, 2014, 08:25
!!!

So, how will you pass the time?

And if you are short listed/alternate, how the heck to pass the next chunk of time until you find out more about your posting. Running out of things to do/worry about!!!

;)
RG

yingyangryder
March 27th, 2014, 08:31
Last year when I was waiting my university work kept me really busy until I found out.

Then after that, my part time job and preparing to leave (packing up stuff, sorting, throwing old stuff out) took up a hell of a long time.

sixtysixthgun
March 27th, 2014, 08:38
Hey, newbie here. I am so nervous about finding out. Been waiting for like six months! When did they start contacting people about acceptance in past years?

par92186
March 27th, 2014, 08:50
I think we're looking at another 2-3 weeks to be honest. This year it seems a lot of the deadlines were pushed back and the whole process seems to have taken a bit longer to process. That being said, I'm also chomping at the bit to find out. I'm pretty busy teaching at the moment so the wait time hasn't been as brutal as I had expected. Now that we are closing in on the finish line, the anxiety has definitely kicked into high gear lol. As long as I'm accepted, I could frankly careless where they place me. Anything after that glorious acceptance notice will just be a bonus to me.

Randomgirl
March 27th, 2014, 09:12
It depends on where you are, I think. Some people found out April 3 last year, and some found out closer to the 20th. We're in for so much more waiting!! Short listed folks are only 1/2 way, even!!! :( For me, location is huge. I'll be travelling as a single parent of a 5 year old if selected, so I would live to be close to family and friends in Japan for support. There will be a lot of difficult planning and stress either way, and I am so chomping at the bit to start crossing things off my to do list (plan b is to go for a few months, instead of working there, so I'm anxious to know one way or the other!!)

:)
RG

spman2099
March 27th, 2014, 09:38
I took a three week "vacation" hanging out with friends who live in rural Indiana. It has been a wonderful distraction, but I don't know what I am going to do now...

LaVie
March 27th, 2014, 09:48
I'm about 2\3rds of the way done with my senior project, due April 18th, soo that should help me pass the time till results start trickling out.

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2014, 10:25
It depends on where you are, I think. Some people found out April 3 last year, and some found out closer to the 20th. We're in for so much more waiting!! Short listed folks are only 1/2 way, even!!! :( For me, location is huge. I'll be travelling as a single parent of a 5 year old if selected, so I would live to be close to family and friends in Japan for support. There will be a lot of difficult planning and stress either way, and I am so chomping at the bit to start crossing things off my to do list (plan b is to go for a few months, instead of working there, so I'm anxious to know one way or the other!!)

RG

Umm, I think you've mentioned it, but finding out the shortlist is not the same as finding out location. That's much later.

@Everyone, Like it has been mentioned, some years have found out very quickly, others have taken more time. Don't start counting down days, just let it be a surprise when you find out. Go out, have a beer, and relax :)

Randomgirl
March 27th, 2014, 11:33
Yah if short listed or alternate, it's a whole new waiting game!!!

Masada
March 27th, 2014, 23:26
*Crossing fingers for Short-List*

For me, where I go in Japan is not a big deal, so the wait after that is easy. I just hope to find out in the next 2/3 weeks if I am going or not. Being around 26, having to put any plan B's on hold while waiting to find out the status of this gamble makes this particularly excruciating for myself. I applied once before when I was 22 but that wasn't nearly as bad as I had Senior year to keep me busy.

As for how I am bidding my time? K-Dramas! 1 Hour and 7 Minute long episodes at 15 to 25 episodes a series in addition to work. Not to mention 3 to 4 games of Ultimate Frisbee a week is making this wait tolerable. Not going to lie though, still the longest 2 months of my life between February and April...

LaVie
March 27th, 2014, 23:35
There's one thing I'm not clear on...(for those in the US at least): Do we find out through email, or by regular post?

uthinkimlost?
March 27th, 2014, 23:45
Usually email. Occasionally even a phone call at smaller consulates.

Sarenka
March 28th, 2014, 00:30
I want to do nothing but roll around for the next few weeks waiting for the results. Instead though, I have to finish writing my undergraduate thesis, present my thesis, finish another final paper, worry about exams, and start working on plan B of course. Time is going too quickly in my opinion, but also not quickly enough /internal conflict.

Randomgirl
March 28th, 2014, 06:54
Lots of interesting stuff going on for people. I have work and my daughter to keep me busy, but I can't wait to get rid of the niggling anxiety in the back of my head! So much to prepare before leaving if I get in! I want to start now, lol.

littleanemonefish
March 28th, 2014, 08:14
Frankly, I would be really bummed if I didn't get in. I'm being positive right now though. Once I do find out, I think the hardest part will be over because I'll be able to start making plans. Right now I'm just working quite a bit, shopping a lot, trying to save up some money, and working on my senior thesis, which is a book about tea that I need to write ASAP. Kind of exhausted all the time and lacking motivation so it's tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

par92186
March 28th, 2014, 08:42
IMO, i think this wait has been a lot easier than the first wait from the Application stage. I was really sweating the Initial stage the most and the build up to the actual interview itself. This hasn't been so bad...at least for me lol

Randomgirl
March 29th, 2014, 01:00
I think, for me, it is harder because I feel that I have less control over what happens next - I was at least an active participant in the application/interview process, and I think a part of me feels like I'm at the mercy of a system from here and things are completely out if my control. I guess I like being in control, lol!

miamicoordinator
March 29th, 2014, 02:52
We have not heard anything back from Tokyo yet. Like someone mentioned, last year, by April 3rd some notifications were sent out because we got the list back on April 2nd. If it follows the same time line as last year, we should know by the end of next week. However, things have been slower this year around, so we do not know for sure. For all we know, we can get the list back in 2 weeks.

Randomgirl
March 29th, 2014, 03:08
Thanks for the heads up, MC!!!

whitehexe
March 29th, 2014, 07:28
I'm heading into the last few weeks of my University career, so lots to keep me busy (essays, getting ready for exams, etc) but it still feels like time is passing VERY slowly. I just want to know so I can get a head start on planning things - whether thats planning what to do next year or planning to move my life to the other side of the world... ha

Wasabi
March 31st, 2014, 03:36
Think of it this way: we can still dream a little and hope a little for the next week or two. Some of us are bound to be disappointed when results come out, but before we know for sure what they are we all still have the potential to be at Tokyo Orientation in August.

I will say I am so tired of people asking if I've heard yet. It's like those relatives always asking when you're getting married or popping out a kid. Blargh!

itsabird
March 31st, 2014, 03:53
I will say I am so tired of people asking if I've heard yet.

whoopy
March 31st, 2014, 04:28
For some reason I feel incredibly confident. I wish everybody the best of luck and remember, when god closes a door he opens a window...

Antonath
March 31st, 2014, 08:31
I will say I am so tired of people asking if I've heard yet. It's like those relatives always asking when you're getting married or popping out a kid. Blargh!
Just wait: if you're successful and make it out here, you'll get to deal with people asking you when you're coming back!

kbui
March 31st, 2014, 09:52
For some reason I feel incredibly confident. I wish everybody the best of luck and remember, when god closes a door he opens a window...

I never understood that idiom. Is the door and window connected somehow so that when one closes one opens?

In either case, I can't wait to hear back good news this week!

kbui
March 31st, 2014, 09:55

RG

I can't imagine having a 5 year old child, applying for JET, having to wait for results, and then have acceptance be contingent on how close the random place where you'll be placed is to your family and friends. That's... I hope God or some divine intervention happens so that it'll be successful for you!

Gizmotech
March 31st, 2014, 10:01
Just wait: if you're successful and make it out here, you'll get to deal with people asking you when you're coming back!

This. This in a nutshell.

Randomgirl
March 31st, 2014, 11:25
@kbui - it is nerve-wracking!!! But at least I know that the prefecture my husbands parents are in is both central (so hoping for at least weekend visits) and one of the most JET populated. Still, I'm crossing everything I've got! I heard a rumour though that most second time JETs get sent to Fukushima. A great place, but not for a 5year old (perhaps)!

Gizmotech
March 31st, 2014, 11:25
That's a totally unjustified rumor. 2nd time jets go all over the place.

Randomgirl
March 31st, 2014, 12:03
I sure hope so if I get short listed, Gizmotech!

Rg

yingyangryder
March 31st, 2014, 12:04
I am in Fukushima and I have yet to meet a second time JET.

Randomgirl
March 31st, 2014, 12:35
That is good news indeed!!!

AVN
March 31st, 2014, 19:47
I have no idea where that rumour would have come from...

Randomgirl
March 31st, 2014, 23:02
Unreliable sources, I hope!!!

Jamie Solo
April 1st, 2014, 04:11
People on the JET facebook group out of the Detroit consulate are starting to get emails. Good luck to anyone from there, check your inbox!

LaVie
April 1st, 2014, 04:41
People on the JET facebook group out of the Detroit consulate are starting to get emails. Good luck to anyone from there, check your inbox!

With the way this site is, I feel the need to ask...are you serious or trolling

itsabird
April 1st, 2014, 04:41

. this.

EDIT: It's true. just got my email as well.

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 05:03
Everyone should hear from their Consulate by the end of the week. Be patient people.
Rest assured you will receive an e-mail, whether its good news or bad news, thats a different story.

If you haven't heard from your Consulate yet, it just means they haven't gotten around to it.

Cutthroat-finch
Based on the Facebook posts, Miami and Detroit notifications have gone out. Anyone hear anything else from a different location?

LaVie
. this.

EDIT: It's true. just got my email as well.

Damn...Detroit or some other consulate?

Jamie Solo
April 1st, 2014, 05:04

Haha. Nah, I wouldn't troll on this. Especially as I'm waiting for a response ;)

And congrats bird! =)

LaVie
April 1st, 2014, 05:05
Haha. Nah, I wouldn't troll on this. Especially as I'm waiting for a response ;)

And congrats bird! =)

Haha sorry to be so cynical :P But with this place you never know!

itsabird
April 1st, 2014, 05:07
Damn...Detroit or some other consulate?

Miami

And congrats bird! =)

Thanks

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 05:49
I've kinda hit a zone where I can't believe we've actually arrived at the point in which answers are being released. I still feel like I have another month to wait. I've been waiting so long I can't believe when the wait is almost over. D:

chwii
April 1st, 2014, 06:31
I just got my results too (Atlanta).

Wasabi
April 1st, 2014, 07:34
Boston results are in too.

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 07:36
Ugh. I can't take this. I'm gonna be checking my email way too much the next couple of days if my location doesn't release results soonish.

Randomgirl
April 1st, 2014, 07:50
Haven't heard a thing yet from Canada...

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 07:52
Yeah, nothing yet from the Toronto consulate...

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 08:21
I somehow have a feeling that the Japanese Embassy is going to take the longest. D:

hawkharness
April 1st, 2014, 13:17
A friend of mine from Portland got her acceptance email today. Silence from another friend of mine who interviewed at the same consulate. I hope it's "I'm so busy jumping for joy I forgot to email everyone" silence. :/

SticksPrime
April 1st, 2014, 14:33
Australia has been e-mailed stating results will be out this week. When I got the similar e-mail stating whether we got an interview or not, the letter arrived the next day.
Good luck to all

Shelia
April 1st, 2014, 14:37
Australia has been e-mailed stating results will be out this week. When I got the similar e-mail stating whether we got an interview or not, the letter arrived the next day.
Good luck to all
I was the other way around. My interview email arrived after my letter! Can I hope there's mail waiting for me at home?!

therealwindycity
April 2nd, 2014, 10:20

I thought it was that when one door closes another one opens? We don't want any unsuccessful applicants jumping out of windows now!

Jiggit
April 2nd, 2014, 10:28
Never heard it with windows either. Would "coming in through the window" be coming here on a tourist visa to illegally search for employment?

Neither of those expressions make any sense though. Either you close all your doors or you leave them open randomly. No-one goes to open another door just because they closed one. Does god just not understand how doors work?

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 22:24

Man, I wish I felt confident. I waver between thinking I'll be alternated when I'm feeling positive to thinking I'm getting a rejection when I'm not. I almost can't even comprehend being short-listed. So congrats to those of you who are.

buh
April 3rd, 2014, 00:17
Same, HorseFeathers (marx bros reference?) - I try not to let myself imagine being shortlisted cause I'll be crushed already as it is if I'm not~ I'm just in a constant state of limbo mentally, obsessing but also trying not to think about it... Recently though I've been feeling a bit better about the idea of not getting on cause there are other things I'd like to do as well

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 00:42
Same, HorseFeathers (marx bros reference?) - I try not to let myself imagine being shortlisted cause I'll be crushed already as it is if I'm not~ I'm just in a constant state of limbo mentally, obsessing but also trying not to think about it... Recently though I've been feeling a bit better about the idea of not getting on cause there are other things I'd like to do as well

Which consulate are you waiting on?
I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst... I did find out yesterday that my plan B came through, so if nothing else I can look forward to spending around a year in France teaching. Should help for the next round of JET intakes.

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 00:45
Which consulate are you waiting on?
I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst... I did find out yesterday that my plan B came through, so if nothing else I can look forward to spending around a year in France teaching. Should help for the next round of JET intakes.

Wow! How did you manage that? I thought it was next to impossible to teach in the western european countries if you were from the US.

And no, my username isn't a marx bros reference (or at least it wasn't meant to be). It's actually really old slang that loosely means BS. My sister and I love to use old 50s slang as usernames. She usually runs around as spifflicated which means extremely drunk.

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 00:49
Wow! How did you manage that? I thought it was next to impossible to teach in the western european countries if you were from the US.
It's a teaching exchange program, sort of like JET only it barely pays anything-just enough for you to plausibly scrape by on. And it's only for a year. You're correct though, in most circumstances to be a teacher in the EU you have to be an EU citizen! Though, it is fairly easy to get citizenship if you have a degree from a university in France (not sure about other EU countries though).

buh
April 3rd, 2014, 00:59
I'm UK, so I'm waiting on London~ Congratulations on the France job!!!! Woah. I hope I can manage something decent like that if Jet doesn't happen

nostos
April 3rd, 2014, 06:37
I know there is a JET-like program in Spain as well.