PDA

View Full Version : So I opened my RTK 1 deck .......

ihatefall
March 27th, 2014, 14:03
......to find I had 1428 out of 1654 cards due. :(

That was last week next now I am at 900.

Anyone fall off the RTK wagon to pick it up again later?
I keep forgetting some of the primitives (like grass skirt).

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2014, 14:18
I actually just nuked ALL the reviews in my RTK deck and reset to 0. Gonna go through again at 40/day (then drop to 30/day when the reviews start piling up) to catch back up. When I quit I was at chapter 46. with a mere 300 kanji to go...

ihatefall
March 27th, 2014, 14:28
I actually just nuked ALL the reviews in my RTK deck and reset to 0. Gonna go through again at 40/day (then drop to 30/day when the reviews start piling up) to catch back up. When I quit I was at chapter 46. with a mere 300 kanji to go...

Ya so you were like one or two chapters ahead of me. How long ago did you quit? I think I haven't opened this spring 2012.
I am getting some pressure to level up, which I am moving into a new department.

Problem is I have never been less motivated in my life. I can verbally communicate really well, minus speaking keigo. Reading and writing however, I mean it's been 6 long years living stateside.
I don't really want to read Japanese books.
I was thinking about signing up for the 4級 just so I could be like look here is something.... and then 3級 and there is something else. But the truth is I can pass those today. The 2級 would be a doable struggle.

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2014, 14:32
Umm.... probably early spring last year?

I mean I don't really NEED to redo my early heisig, but I want to. I want to make another strong push at vocabulary again, and I much prefer when I see the kanji knowing something about it instead of absolutely nothing.

My motivation is very simple, I only have 2 years left here, and i would like to open up some options concerning longer term employment. Frankly, my listening is more than good enough to do 2, maybe even 1 based on some of the online stuff I've seen from earlier versions of the test. The vocab and grammar are the hard parts, as I'm very good at using intermediate grammar to accomplish pretty much everything I need to do.

ihatefall
March 27th, 2014, 15:26
That is kind of how I feel about it. Like I don't like being illiterate because I don't know those Joyo kanji but.... I just kind of over it.
I think its this shitty weather and that fact my cat was f-ing around all night. I was kind of getting into last week.
I guess I could technically start a new deck along side this one.

Jiggit
March 27th, 2014, 16:45
You two haven't finished it yet? I almost wouldn't bother. I finished it like a year ago and it felt like I'd spent too long on it.

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2014, 17:08
Well that has been my feeling since I stopped to be honest, that I had spent way too much time on it. That being said, I might as well do something more productive with my time than exercising my liver and watching my gut grow while my bankaccount dwindles.

ihatefall
March 27th, 2014, 18:39
I wouldn't say I spent that much time on it. I dabbled in it in 2006, got to 7xx and then got distracted with other things. (I was translating bicycle magazines for fun and I was messing around with JSL.)
Then I re-picked it up around 02/2012 and in 3 months I got to 1654. Honestly I don't think investing 3-4 months is that bad to learn all the Joyo kanji. I am just lacking the motivation at this point.

When I moved back to the states in 2008, I wasn't ready to go back. (In 2012, I was thinking I would have to apply to a Japanese company so that was my motivation.) Now that I am back, I realized that alot of what I missed about Japan, had nothing to do with Japan per se and more to do with living some place new and different. But Japan isn't really new or different anymore. It just is.

Maybe I'll do the drama with 日本語字幕 thing.

coop52
March 27th, 2014, 18:46
I used to use Renshuu.org to study kanji and vocab, but I haven't had much time to work on it since I started my new job in the fall. I looked just now, and I have 1200ish new vocab words and a couple hundred kanji to review. I'm not even sure I'm going to do JLPT again this year, since I might have to work on one of the weekends. It'll be the third try at N1. I was only two points away last time, but I'd still like to study more to be absolutely sure of passing. I've been working on reading novels and such, and my workplace is pretty much all Japanese all the time.

ihatefall
March 27th, 2014, 18:48
Damn dude that is pretty impressive. Did you only use renshuu.org? (Free or paid)
I am assuming you used something else too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop52
March 27th, 2014, 21:33
For kanji, I used to use the White Rabbit cards. I have a couple of other books for vocab (kanzen master and that one with the animals on the cover, along with a couple of others). It's harder to find materials for higher level vocab since there's so many words, and not every book has the whole list. Renshuu has all or almost all the words that were on the old list, but at least it's free and I don't have to sit there and write out thousands of cards.

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2014, 21:38
For higher level you don't need books, you need realia. Grammar is grammar at that point and it's purely vocab training through content. It's the same in any language.

coop52
March 27th, 2014, 22:29
I read regular novels and the newspaper and such, but it's nice having "official" materials to cover the areas that I don't get exposed to as much. There's a decent amount of N1 vocab and grammar that you won't really see outside of academic journals.

Gizmotech
March 28th, 2014, 10:24
Do you have any interest in reading content from your major in university? If you do, find a more "academic" teacher and ask them if they can find you some really basic uni readings... You can learn and review all at the same time.

coop52
March 28th, 2014, 17:59
I might look into that once I (and the other teachers) have more time. Right now, we're all pretty busy trying to get stuff set up for school to open up in a couple of weeks. There's a bunch of economics and political science books in the school library, so I might try reading some of those before moving on to uni level stuff.

My eyes get tired really quickly when reading long passages though. Reading's always my worst section on the JLPT since my eyes start glazing over after a couple of paragraphs and I forget what the questions are looking for. It doesn't help that they usually don't space out the writing that much so it all runs together. I do much better with novels for some reason.

ihatefall
April 1st, 2014, 08:59
I think I just got some encouragement.

One of the two other gaijin in the office was in a meeting and couldn't reading any of the hand outs because it was in kanji. (She has been in Japan for 5 years already.)

I can't be like that.

Jiggit
April 1st, 2014, 09:45
Judging yourself by what other ALTs are doing is something I try to avoid. After I passed the N3 I remember I got to thinking that I was actually doing really well compared to other ALTs (there were people taking it who'd majored in Japanese and been in Japan for a year) and kinda relaxed the study.

Fact is my Japanese is fucking appaling, I know I could do infinitely better and I know I waste huge amounts of time and I know that I can't do what I want to do in Japanese. It doesn't matter what other people are doing if you know you aren't satisfied with where you are.

BTW try

Gizmotech
April 1st, 2014, 09:54
I think that's one of the big reasons I don't study for a particular test to be honest. I don't want to be that guy who gets a level and then stops because it was good enough. I much prefer my more organize fuck-it-all approach... far less stress :P

Antonath
April 1st, 2014, 10:00
I think that's one of the big reasons I don't study for a particular test to be honest. I don't want to be that guy who gets a level and then stops because it was good enough. I much prefer my more organize fuck-it-all approach... far less stress :P
Studying for a specific test also gives you eiken syndrome, where you can pass a test with flying colours but can't actually have a conversation.

ihatefall
April 2nd, 2014, 11:46
See on the other hand, I can speak just fine, better than a lot of 1kyuu and 2kyuu folks I know, but I couldn't pass those tests.

I can communicate well enough, but I could be better.

Comparing myself to that other Gaijin in the office was more of a kick in the ass to NOT get too comfortable. (She has been in Japan for 4.5 years and can't read company emails, and gets frustrated when presentations are 100% in Japanese. ) There is another gaijin in the office that is amazing at Japanese, but she has been here 20 years.

ihatefall
August 1st, 2014, 16:59
Question, why is it that Heisig reccomends not to study kanji to keyword?
Recalling a kanji from a keyword is all well and good, but it doesn't help when I am reading something and I see a kanji I know, but I can't for the life of me remember the keyword.

Gizmotech
August 1st, 2014, 19:18
Question, why is it that Heisig reccomends not to study kanji to keyword?
Recalling a kanji from a keyword is all well and good, but it doesn't help when I am reading something and I see a kanji I know, but I can't for the life of me remember the keyword.

Sorry what do you mean?