PDA

View Full Version : Results are In

Jedirust
April 1st, 2014, 06:32
Just got my email that I was accepted. I suppose everyone will be getting theirs soon. I guess the next order of business is to speculate where you'll be placed.

Shincantsen
April 1st, 2014, 06:36
Congrats! Looks like Detroit, Miami, and Atlanta have sent out notifications so far.

Ocaoca
April 1st, 2014, 06:54
Congratulations US people! I'm hoping that we're going to hear tomorrow in the UK. Waiting on tenterhooks.

Wasabi
April 1st, 2014, 06:56
Chiming in from Boston! I am a shortlisted ALT :) congratulations to everyone else who made it.

CrouchingMouse
April 1st, 2014, 07:00
I got alternate...was kind of expecting this, but not sure how to feel. I guess it's better than being outright rejected. Congrats to you shortlisters though!

LaVie
April 1st, 2014, 07:00
Wow, so at least three consulates today!! Congrats to those who got in\alternated! Still waiting to hear from DC. Probably won't be tonight :P

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 07:08
I'm right there with you LaVie. Waiting on the embassy.

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 07:29
I am ready for the wait to be over, but I am not ready at all to receive the result. I could be a little crushed if I don't make it in.

Coolmanio
April 1st, 2014, 07:35
I am ready for the wait to be over, but I am not ready at all to receive the result. I could be a little crushed if I don't make it in.

This. I want to get in, but even if I don't, I will be glad to have this sense of unease gone....

of course, that's assuming we don't get the 'alternate' status XD

dstin
April 1st, 2014, 07:44
Hop on board the alternate wait train *toot toot*

In other news, Houston also got their results.

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 07:48
Another one. So that's like what... five now? Do you think all results are being sent tonight then? There are a ton of consulates sending their results out. I mean I don't know how these things roll. I imagine some states may take longer with their results than others.

I'd have to think my location would be sending out tomorrow. It's already so late in the evening here.

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 07:51
Another one. So that's like what... five now? Do you think all results are being sent tonight then? There are a ton of consulates sending their results out. I mean I don't know how these things roll. I imagine some states may take longer with their results than others.

I'd have to think my location would be sending out tomorrow. It's already so late in the evening here.

I would be very surprised if anyone else received any results today. Surely the consulate won't be open after 6.

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 07:53
Boo. Then I guess I can give my email a rest for tonight.

Yeah, I just checked. Closed at 5:30. So I guess I'll just have to stay nervous for another day or so.

Jedirust
April 1st, 2014, 07:58
Last results go out April 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 07:59
Last results go out April 3rd.

Yeah, this could still be an awfully long wait for some of us...

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 08:10
Yeah, this could still be an awfully long wait for some of us...

Oh great. I regret taking jobs this week. I'm going to be a basket case if my location waits until the last day.

Does anyone know if they are holding rejection letters or sending them out along with all the short-listed/alternate results?

afterwards
April 1st, 2014, 08:12
Congrats to the people who have already been accepted! Does this mean we can expect other countries to start sending out results soon too? This is so nerve-wracking...

LaVie
April 1st, 2014, 08:12
Oh great. I regret taking jobs this week. I'm going to be a basket case if my location waits until the last day.

It might be better to have something to do! I only have one day of class this week (Thursday) so I'll be idle at home pretending to finish up my senior thesis while actually checking emails ever 2 minutes. :P

HorseFeathers
April 1st, 2014, 08:17
It might be better to have something to do! I only have one day of class this week (Thursday) so I'll be idle at home pretending to finish up my senior thesis while actually checking emails ever 2 minutes. :P

True. I didn't think of that. I'm subbing for a Kindergarten class so I assume they'll keep me on my toes. I rarely get a moment to breathe whenever I take that sort of job. And it's only a half day. So half the day I distract myself with work. The other half, I'll obsess over my email box until it arrives or 5:30 strikes with yet another empty mailbox.

The funny thing is, every time someone posts here, I get an email. So my heart does a frantic flip every time I see one of those notices until I realize that it's from here and not JET.

Moso
April 1st, 2014, 08:25
:o you got your results already! Congratulations to all those who got through.
Does anyone know if the UK JET Programme also sends out emails? I was under the impression I'm waiting for a letter but not too sure!

Cutthroat-finch
April 1st, 2014, 08:42

Does anyone know if they are holding rejection letters or sending them out along with all the short-listed/alternate results?

From what I've heard all emails from the consulate get sent out at the same time, even if you are rejected.

Antonath
April 1st, 2014, 08:54
Congratulations to all those accepted, and Alternates, don't lose hope! Many ITILers were alternates as well!

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 08:56
From what I've heard all emails from the consulate get sent out at the same time, even if you are rejected.

Not quite.

We do try to send notifications around the same time to prevent chaos and havoc. We just received the results this morning from Japan. Some of the coordinators were busy doing other projects and were unable to send out notifications. Normally we would all wait, but some of our bosses told us to send them today regardless of what the other coordinators were up to.

Everyone WILL receive an email this week, whether it is rejection, short-list or alternate. No one will be left in the dark.

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 09:00
Not quite.

We do try to send notifications around the same time to prevent chaos and havoc. We just received the results this morning from Japan. Some of the coordinators were busy doing other projects and were unable to send out notifications. Normally we would all wait, but some of our bosses told us to send them today regardless of what the other coordinators were up to.

Everyone WILL receive an email this week, whether it is rejection, short-list or alternate. No one will be left in the dark.

Do you know if ALL consulates received results today? Or is it possible that Japan sends the results out to different consulates at different times?

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 09:12
Do you know if ALL consulates received results today? Or is it possible that Japan sends the results out to different consulates at different times?

We all got them today in the morning.

itsabird
April 1st, 2014, 09:24
No one will be left in the dark.

Except alternates. Kind of sort of.

Cutthroat-finch
April 1st, 2014, 09:33
Not quite.

Right. What I meant was that one consulate will notify everyone who interviewed at that office at the same time. Meaning that I will be notified at the same time as everyone else who interviewed in San Francisco, whether or not I actually get in. Is this not correct?

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 09:43
Right. What I meant was that one consulate will notify everyone who interviewed at that office at the same time. Meaning that I will be notified at the same time as everyone else who interviewed in San Francisco, whether or not I actually get in. Is this not correct?
Correct. You should. It would only depend on how many emails the coordinator is sending out, and how he does it. If he does one by one, it will take a while, but one mass email will be quicker.

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 09:45
Except alternates. Kind of sort of.

This feeling is understandable. :(

Trust me, even we are kept into the dark with some of the workings of how lists are selected and such. Its as much of a pain for us as it us for you guys.

Coolmanio
April 1st, 2014, 09:56
This feeling is understandable. :(

Trust me, even we are kept into the dark with some of the workings of how lists are selected and such. Its as much of a pain for us as it us for you guys.

Do you feel like you have a good knowledge of who will be picked when you send the applications/interview scores off or is it a big surprise for you guys as well?

hypatia
April 1st, 2014, 10:03
Woo hoo! Houston results went out at 5:30, which surprised me. Short listed, huzzah! :cool:

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 10:15
Do you feel like you have a good knowledge of who will be picked when you send the applications/interview scores off or is it a big surprise for you guys as well?

All we have an idea of is who are picks are according to the recommendation list we send Tokyo. After that, it is up to them to decide whether or not they agree with what we say, and who we recommend. I had people I thought would be shortlisted for sure, and unfortunately, they weren't :(
Was a rough day for me.

Antonath
April 1st, 2014, 10:24
All we have an idea of is who are picks are according to the recommendation list we send Tokyo. After that, it is up to them to decide whether or not they agree with what we say, and who we recommend. I had people I thought would be shortlisted for sure, and unfortunately, they weren't :(
Was a rough day for me.
Maybe we should break this out and sticky it with the other application advice... If even the people running the interviews have no idea how Tokyo selects ALTs, what hope does anyone else have :lol:

dstin
April 1st, 2014, 11:48
Miamicoordinator, what percentage in a given year do alternates send in the paperwork to stay? Of that, about what percentage actually get upgraded? Or your rough estimate of maybe the past year or two since I'm sure it changes a decent bit every year.

miamicoordinator
April 1st, 2014, 12:09
Miamicoordinator, what percentage in a given year do alternates send in the paperwork to stay? Of that, about what percentage actually get upgraded? Or your rough estimate of maybe the past year or two since I'm sure it changes a decent bit every year.

We always have alternates that do not send in reply forms or other paperwork because they dont think it is worth it. Its sad because sometimes they would be the next person upgraded if they had just sent in their paperwork.

As for how many actually get upgraded, it really varies from year to year. It depends on how many short listers decline their positions or drop out of the program after placement. In anothe lr thread i mentioned sometimes we have a lot of upgrades, other years not so much.

Last year miami upgraded about 9 people. We had quite a few more people on our alternate list though. Percentages are harder because if i only had 15 people on my alternate list, 9 would be what, 65% or something, but if there was 30 people on my alternate list, 9 would be 28% or so. Thats why percentages are not worth thinking about because with jet, everything changes so much from year to year.

If you are an alternate, just keep with it. Try not to worry too much. At this point, you are really at the mercy of the shortlisters unfortunately. If they decline, then you might get a shot.

Many people want to know what position they are on the list to know their chances. We technically cant give you what number on the list you are because we do not always upgrade according to who is next. Tokyo might request someone with a specific skillset who is lower than you, and they might get to go first. Thats why we hesitate to say "you are next!" Cause even if you are, it doesnt mean you have a greater chance of going.

Hope this helps.

itsabird
April 1st, 2014, 12:31
We always have alternates that do not send in reply forms or other paperwork because they dont think it is worth it. Its sad because sometimes they would be the next person upgraded if they had just sent in their paperwork.

As for how many actually get upgraded, it really varies from year to year. It depends on how many short listers decline their positions or drop out of the program after placement. In anothe lr thread i mentioned sometimes we have a lot of upgrades, other years not so much.

Last year miami upgraded about 9 people. We had quite a few more people on our alternate list though. Percentages are harder because if i only had 15 people on my alternate list, 9 would be what, 65% or something, but if there was 30 people on my alternate list, 9 would be 28% or so. Thats why percentages are not worth thinking about because with jet, everything changes so much from year to year.

If you are an alternate, just keep with it. Try not to worry too much. At this point, you are really at the mercy of the shortlisters unfortunately. If they decline, then you might get a shot.

Many people want to know what position they are on the list to know their chances. We technically cant give you what number on the list you are because we do not always upgrade according to who is next. Tokyo might request someone with a specific skillset who is lower than you, and they might get to go first. Thats why we hesitate to say "you are next!" Cause even if you are, it doesnt mean you have a greater chance of going.

Hope this helps.

That being said.... Am I next? Just kidding.

I'm sure I'll try to pry out SOME sort of information when I drop off my papers at the consulate, regardless of how trivial the information might be (since as you said, the list doesn't always go in order).

To any other alternates, best of luck if you're staying in the pool! And don't mistakenly send your acceptance reply to everyone else :).

hawkharness
April 1st, 2014, 13:20
Portland's in!

kbui
April 1st, 2014, 14:48
What times were the emails sent to you? I'm trying to gauge when to expect this email from Chicago! AHHHH!

hawkharness
April 1st, 2014, 15:20
My friends (Portland) got theirs a few hours ago.

shue
April 1st, 2014, 15:49
Just received my email.. alternate, yikes sighhh was really hoping to get it this year. Was alternate last year too :|

Gizmotech
April 1st, 2014, 17:26
To everyone who hasn't received a message yet I have one small but helpful suggestion. Breathe.

Today, tomorrow, or next week, this is message will come and life will either be awesome or cry into beer worthy and it is entirely beyond your control.

spman2099
April 1st, 2014, 17:32
To everyone who hasn't received a message yet I have one small but helpful suggestion. Breathe.

Today, tomorrow, or next week, this is message will come...

*starts breathing*

it is entirely beyond your control.

*goes purple from lack of breath*

uthinkimlost?
April 1st, 2014, 17:42
*goes purple from lack of breathe*

:012:

Alternates: Don't lose heart! I know a lot of JETs that were alternates. I might be one myself!

shue
April 1st, 2014, 18:11
I know i should be having hope but it been quite a week, now topped with an April fools day joke on me, sigh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Itsakelly
April 1st, 2014, 20:49
From South Africa here and just got the awesome news.^____^

ekm
April 1st, 2014, 20:53
has anybody from melbourne heard back yet?

ninja_raj
April 1st, 2014, 21:04
Sweating to death from panic waiting here in the UK!

CrouchingMouse
April 1st, 2014, 22:26
miamicoordinator, I wonder if you'd mind taking one more question about alternates? I heard that you can wait all the way up till December or so to be upgraded, but most people know by July. What timeframe are the most people upgraded within? (Just so I know how long I should reasonably hold out for. =p )

Shincantsen
April 1st, 2014, 22:33
miamicoordinator, I wonder if you'd mind taking one more question about alternates? I heard that you can wait all the way up till December or so to be upgraded, but most people know by July. What timeframe are the most people upgraded within? (Just so I know how long I should reasonably hold out for. =p )

I'm not Miami Coordinator, but I may have a general idea. Alternate upgrades usually come in waves. The first wave will be right about now, when shortlisters have to turn in their reply forms - if somebody declines, an alternate will take their place. The next wave would be in June-ish, when placements go out. If a shortlister doesn't like their placement and declines, then that space is open. The next wave would be right before/right after the JETs depart, if some shortlisters wuss out and go home right before/after going to Japan.

Of course at any time a shortlister can drop out for any reason, but I think those are the most likely times for alternates to get upgraded.

Nell
April 1st, 2014, 22:46
Ahhhh I really hope the UK results get sent out tomorrow! I'm not going to be able to concentrate on work at all today...

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2014, 01:00
Shincantsen is pretty much spot on but there is one more (very slim) upgrade window of early September October. When alts have been in Japan fora bit but hate their positions.

Randomgirl
April 2nd, 2014, 03:44
Quiet today... No new notifications out of the US?!

LaVie
April 2nd, 2014, 03:52
Nah, haven't heard anything from JET as of yet. What time did they start rolling out yesterday, around 3:00 or 3:30?

itsabird
April 2nd, 2014, 03:58
Nah, haven't heard anything from JET as of yet. What time did they start rolling out yesterday, around 3:00 or 3:30?

3:46 Miami

pjef
April 2nd, 2014, 04:30
Quiet today... No new notifications out of the US?!

Nashville results are in. Received my alternate status today at 11:48. sigh

miamicoordinator
April 2nd, 2014, 04:35

Sorry I did not get to this earlier. You can imagine how busy it is here right now!

What Shincantsen and Gizmo said is pretty accurate for the most part.

Most upgrades happen from April-June. This is when people initially accept/decline for whatever personal reasons they have. They might also not like their placement and drop out after finding out where they are going. Placement notifications usually roll out sometime in June. I would say a good majority of the upgrades happen during the first few months. They do come in waves, as said here.

The Upgrade window from August to December is definitely smaller, but they do often on a yearly basis. Many people get to Japan, find out they don't like it as much as they thought they would. Maybe they don't like their contracting organization, and just bail. There are many reasons people leave. I had an upgrade here in late November of last year, so they do happen when you would least expect them.

Of course, since JET applications are due in November/December, many alternates just apply again for the next year anyway since it might be a goal of theirs. The best thing you can do if you are in limbo is work on strengthening your application. Maybe add some teaching experience, volunteers hours, Japanese ability, whatever it may be. Definitely don't sit around and do nothing and appear exactly the same as you were this year.

There are lots of reasons why someone is on the alternate list, but it basically means that others just scored higher than you during their interviews. You could have been a great candidate, but maybe someone else was just a pinch better and put you under the line.

Hope this helps.

CrouchingMouse
April 2nd, 2014, 05:12
Thanks a bunch for the replies, everyone. That does give me a better idea of what to expect. =)

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 05:36
Only an hour left before the embassy closes. I don't know if DC applicants are going to get their emails today. Uggggh.

Coolmanio
April 2nd, 2014, 05:39
New York just released their list.

Not that it effects me XD

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 05:42
New York just released their list.

Not that it effects me XD

I think the whole east coast will get theirs before DC releases their list. :(

LaVie
April 2nd, 2014, 05:47
I think the whole east coast will get theirs before DC releases their list. :(
Starting to think that too. It can't be that much longer though!!

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 06:01
Starting to think that too. It can't be that much longer though!!

Less than a half hour left. Yeah... probably not happening today. This wait is just miserable. I wish I didn't know that everyone else was getting their results this week.

Cutthroat-finch
April 2nd, 2014, 06:01
Short-listed from San Francisco! So excited!

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 06:16
With ten minutes left, I'm losing hope of receiving my notice today. Ugh. I really don't look forward to doing this all again tomorrow.

Are there any other US locations aside from DC who are still waiting for replies?

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 06:38
I'm despising my NO MAIL message on my inbox unjustly today. No answer from the DC embassy. But apparently consulates of Houston, Detroit, Miami, Portland, Atlanta, New York, San Fran and Boston have heard back. Am I missing any others? I think that makes 9 out of 15 informed.

Just curious which ones are still waiting with us DC people. Any news from Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, Denver or the consulates in Alaska or Hawaii?

Corvus
April 2nd, 2014, 06:50
LA Consulate results just came in :) Congrats to all who got short-listed, good luck to alternates, and to the rest of you waiting just know it'll be over soon

osakavamp
April 2nd, 2014, 06:56
I'm despising my NO MAIL message on my inbox unjustly today. No answer from the DC embassy. But apparently consulates of Houston, Detroit, Miami, Portland, Atlanta, New York, San Fran and Boston have heard back. Am I missing any others? I think that makes 9 out of 15 informed.

Just curious which ones are still waiting with us DC people. Any news from Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, Denver or the consulates in Alaska or Hawaii?

Nothing in Seattle yet. The wait is miserable; I think my adrenaline glands are working double-time.

undisputed2020
April 2nd, 2014, 07:15
Declined from Los Angeles. I knew the interview killed me. I guess next year.

Villebillie
April 2nd, 2014, 07:35
Short-listed from Nashville as of 2:30 this afternoon.

sacredbonzai
April 2nd, 2014, 07:52
Wow, was REALLY not expecting to see anything this serious in my inox today. Anyway, I was made an alternate, from LA.

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 07:55
Nothing in Seattle yet. The wait is miserable; I think my adrenaline glands are working double-time.

Totally sympathize. Every time a piece of junk mail blings its way into my mailbox, my heart skips a beat. And then I'm ultimately ticked off at whatever spam I just got. Youtube and Facebook have been the bane of my existence today.

April 2nd, 2014, 08:07
Denver consulate here. I got the email yesterday around 5:30.

par92186
April 2nd, 2014, 08:36
No word from the Guam Consulate but it's the morning of April 2nd, so I have all day to sweat it out lol. Congrats to the Short-listers!

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 09:25
The timing of the results did give me a chance to prank my friends on Facebook. So at least something amusing came out of not having the answer yet.

par92186
April 2nd, 2014, 09:41
Guam results are in. I was Short-listed! :)

itsabird
April 2nd, 2014, 09:48
Guam results are in. I was Short-listed! :)

Congrats :]

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 09:53
Congratulations to everyone who have been shortlisted/alternated so far. I wish it wasn't already too late to be hovering over my email box. I really hope I'm not waiting until April 3rd to hear something. Especially if that something is a rejection.

jackswitch
April 2nd, 2014, 09:55
Sorry I did not get to this earlier. You can imagine how busy it is here right now!

What Shincantsen and Gizmo said is pretty accurate for the most part.

Most upgrades happen from April-June. This is when people initially accept/decline for whatever personal reasons they have. They might also not like their placement and drop out after finding out where they are going. Placement notifications usually roll out sometime in June. I would say a good majority of the upgrades happen during the first few months. They do come in waves, as said here.

The Upgrade window from August to December is definitely smaller, but they do often on a yearly basis. Many people get to Japan, find out they don't like it as much as they thought they would. Maybe they don't like their contracting organization, and just bail. There are many reasons people leave. I had an upgrade here in late November of last year, so they do happen when you would least expect them.

Of course, since JET applications are due in November/December, many alternates just apply again for the next year anyway since it might be a goal of theirs. The best thing you can do if you are in limbo is work on strengthening your application. Maybe add some teaching experience, volunteers hours, Japanese ability, whatever it may be. Definitely don't sit around and do nothing and appear exactly the same as you were this year.

There are lots of reasons why someone is on the alternate list, but it basically means that others just scored higher than you during their interviews. You could have been a great candidate, but maybe someone else was just a pinch better and put you under the line.

Hope this helps.

Sorry if you are being bombarded with questions. I have just received an Alternate Status from the San Francisco consulate. I did apply for the Early Departure though and am wondering if I am to be upgraded if that is still in effect. As in, if I happen to find out tomorrow that someone dropped out will I still be set for Early Departure or will it be reset to leave at the Regular Departure time with the majority of new JETs? Thank you.

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2014, 09:57
If you're upgraded at this point you are either going with the regular group or later than them. Afaik.

osakavamp
April 2nd, 2014, 10:15
Is it just me or does it seem like they are going in groups of 5? Still nothing from the Seattle consulate...

miamicoordinator, do you know what could possibly be holding things up at consulates that have not yet contacted their applicants?

windar
April 2nd, 2014, 10:41
Is it just me or does it seem like they are going in groups of 5? Still nothing from the Seattle consulate...

miamicoordinator, do you know what could possibly be holding things up at consulates that have not yet contacted their applicants?

Hey Osaka,

I wouldn't hold my breath for Seattle or ask miamicoordinator what could be holding up the other consulates. Basically, it could be anything. But I was an applicant through Seattle last year and we were the LAST OF THE LAST to find out, both about interview results and placements. Even application results, too, if I remember correctly. I think they take their time getting everything in line. I was on the forums waiting and obsessively checking my email, of course, but speculation at this point is useless. Just expect not to hear this week, and if you do, be completely surprised and excited. I wish someone had told me the same last year (as painful as it is to be the last to hear!).

And, of course, good luck!

osakavamp
April 2nd, 2014, 10:54
Hey Osaka,

I wouldn't hold my breath for Seattle or ask miamicoordinator what could be holding up the other consulates. Basically, it could be anything. But I was an applicant through Seattle last year and we were the LAST OF THE LAST to find out, both about interview results and placements. Even application results, too, if I remember correctly. I think they take their time getting everything in line. I was on the forums waiting and obsessively checking my email, of course, but speculation at this point is useless. Just expect not to hear this week, and if you do, be completely surprised and excited. I wish someone had told me the same last year (as painful as it is to be the last to hear!).

And, of course, good luck!

Thanks or the advice. It really does help. Fate would dictate that I would interview through the slowpoke consulate. Uggggh. I do hope I hear this week though... But you definitely described me in terms of obsessively checking email and forums. Your message will definitely help me cool my jets. Thanks again.

eminate
April 2nd, 2014, 11:56
short-listed!

mmarief09
April 2nd, 2014, 12:12
With ten minutes left, I'm losing hope of receiving my notice today. Ugh. I really don't look forward to doing this all again tomorrow.

Are there any other US locations aside from DC who are still waiting for replies?

HorseFeathers,

I applied through the DC Consulate last year. If it makes you feel any better they were a bit later than others and they called people instead of emailing. So maybe watch your phone as well? I received a phone call informing me of my acceptance.

Deep breath! Best of luck!

Bi-Kun
April 2nd, 2014, 12:22
Hello everyone! Shortlisted from Detroit. So ecstatic!! Congratulations to everyone who's also been shortlisted and to all the alternates and those who were unfortunately denied, do not give up!

short-listed!

Congrats!!! :p_cake:

LaVie
April 2nd, 2014, 12:57

If I've gathered all the info correctly, the only US Consulates who don't have results so far are Honolulu, Anchorage, Seattle and then the Embassy in DC. Here's hoping to our results coming out tomorrow, whatever they may be. I've been distracted by this all dayand have completely neglected any school work. Whoops...

Bi-Kun
April 2nd, 2014, 13:11
If I've gathered all the info correctly, the only US Consulates who don't have results so far are Honolulu, Anchorage, Seattle and then the Embassy in DC. Here's hoping to our results coming out tomorrow, whatever they may be. I've been distracted by this all dayand have completely neglected any school work. Whoops...

I heard a Honolulu CIR received their shortlist notification.

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2014, 14:23
short-listed!

I'm glad for ya. Another ITIL success story :)

littleanemonefish
April 2nd, 2014, 15:23
Ahhh, I shouldn't have checked ITIL today T.T now I know I'll find out in the next couple of days. Would have been better if it came as a surprise I think. The anticipation is already killing me.

epikzwei
April 2nd, 2014, 16:39
Had an excellent day at work and in my emails! Sweet. :)
Congrats, everyone!

therealwindycity
April 2nd, 2014, 17:16
short-listed!

Congratulations!

sharpinthefang
April 2nd, 2014, 19:10
We just received the results this morning from Japan.

When you say we, do you mean just American consulates or all? Does that include the UK?

miamicoordinator
April 2nd, 2014, 21:12
When you say we, do you mean just American consulates or all? Does that include the UK?

I do not communicate with the coordinators from other countries."we" meant u.s. consulates and embassy. Sorry for the confusion.

miamicoordinator
April 2nd, 2014, 21:16

The problem is, many of us coordinators have other responsibilities at the consulate. For example, im in charge of MEXT scholarships, school visits and culture events, plus jet.

Also some consulates have way more applicants than others. Its easier to contact 20 people opposed to 120.

I think we were all going to try and have the results out by latest today. It should not be long now.

HorseFeathers
April 2nd, 2014, 22:21
HorseFeathers,

I applied through the DC Consulate last year. If it makes you feel any better they were a bit later than others and they called people instead of emailing. So maybe watch your phone as well? I received a phone call informing me of my acceptance.

Deep breath! Best of luck!

So starts another day of waiting. Thanks for the tip mmarief09. I'll keep my phone near me too. In the meantime, I'm off to take a nap. Here's hoping that makes the day go by faster. :)

Mimi
April 3rd, 2014, 02:09
CIR applicant from the UK eagerly waiting on a reply here. Though reading another thread, it seems like they're going the snail mail route in the UK, and we won't know until next week. Boo! D: Anyway, congratulations to all successful applicants! Had three American friends who applied. One was shortlisted, one was placed in reserve, and one was unfortunately rejected. So over the last day I've vicariously experienced all three potential outcomes. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for both myself and others waiting on replies!

Wasabi
April 3rd, 2014, 02:43
Boston just sent out paperwork! Time to call in 'sick' to get my prints taken :)

Randomgirl
April 3rd, 2014, 02:50
Nothing from canada yet. We are officially the last?! Not even any information that the results are in to the coordinators :(

CrouchingMouse
April 3rd, 2014, 03:09
So, the email they sent out for alternates (and I'm assuming shortlisters as well) mentioned that they're going to send us paperwork to fill out soon. Does anyone know if it will come by email or regular post? Asking for the US here. I won't be home till the end of the week at least so I'm a bit nervous that it'll come by snail-mail and I'll be delayed in sending it in.

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 03:34
Okay guys. We are closing on the tail end of today. I'm gonna be really upset if I have to wait all of tomorrow too. Especially if they might call (since I'll be at work tomorrow and unable to answer the phone). Here's hoping I get my answer in the next two hours.

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 03:36
Okay guys. We are closing on the tail end of today. I'm gonna be really upset if I have to wait all of tomorrow too. Especially if they might call (since I'll be at work tomorrow and unable to answer the phone). Here's hoping I get my answer in the next two hours.

For all but 5 or so consulates to release info over the past two days and then for nothing to happen today, that'd be so shitty. I feel we have a good chance today though! They were probably on their lunch break until about an hour ago, so maybe our emails\calls will be our coordinator's after lunch project. :)

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 03:54
For all but 5 or so consulates to release info over the past two days and then for nothing to happen today, that'd be so shitty. I feel we have a good chance today though! They were probably on their lunch break until about an hour ago, so maybe our emails\calls will be our coordinator's after lunch project. :)

I certainly hope so. I don't think I can take another day of this. D:

littleanemonefish
April 3rd, 2014, 03:55
Lunch time is just starting in Seattle, so hopefully they send stuff out in the next few hours :o

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 04:00
Lunch time is just starting in Seattle, so hopefully they send stuff out in the next few hours :o

Let us know as soon as you hear something!!

littleanemonefish
April 3rd, 2014, 04:00
Let us know as soon as you hear something!!

Of course!

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 05:12
Only an hour left and I'm getting just a bit frustrated here. Please please don't let me have to wait until tomorrow. Especially if the answer is a rejection.

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 05:34
^ This. I've been biting my nails ever since my friend from Oregon spammed Facebook on Monday with her excitement. But another friend of mine said there are only 2 DC coordinators, so I am a bit sympathetic to their plight...*sighs*

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 05:48
Only a half hour left. I'm starting to think we aren't getting an answer today either! D:

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 05:50
A bit more than that - 40 minutes. They close at 5:30. I checked earlier. X.X

Sorry, I forgot to mention - I've been a lurker for awhile (since October last year), but I finally made an account last night. Nice to finally respond to you guys!

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 05:54
A bit more than that - 40 minutes. They close at 5:30. I checked earlier. X.X

Sorry, I forgot to mention - I've been a lurker for awhile (since October last year), but I finally made an account last night. Nice to finally respond to you guys!

Here's hoping it's tonight...
Welcome to the forums! ^^

jackswitch
April 3rd, 2014, 05:59
Of course from my perspective of being Alternate candidate I am hopeful so my question to the moderator is this: I applied for Early Departure and so I had to send in some extra paperwork for that (FBI background check, Certificate of Health forms, etc.). If I am to be upgraded does this stuff transfer over so I would only need to apply for a Visa and IRS form or do I need to resubmit all of these things as they have expired?

Jedirust
April 3rd, 2014, 06:00
So, the email they sent out for alternates (and I'm assuming shortlisters as well) mentioned that they're going to send us paperwork to fill out soon. Does anyone know if it will come by email or regular post? Asking for the US here. I won't be home till the end of the week at least so I'm a bit nervous that it'll come by snail-mail and I'll be delayed in sending it in.

It will be by mail. If I recall it has a voucher to accept/decline the position and a checklist of what you need to get done. I think I also got an email where you can print off a pre-departure handbook. I still have mine from 2011 when I was accepted before. This was from my consulate though so yours might vary.

spman2099
April 3rd, 2014, 06:01
Ugh, this is horrible.

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 06:17
Ten minutes by my watch. I feel like I'm waiting for a miracle at this point.

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:19
Ten minutes by my watch. I feel like I'm waiting for a miracle at this point.
Yeah lol seems like we're screwed till tomorrow or Friday.

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:23
Has anyone heard about how the other consulates are faring?

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:25
Has anyone heard about how the other consulates are faring?
I only know of members here waiting on DC and Seattle, not sure if we have any registered members waiting on responses from Honolulu or Anchorage.

sharpinthefang
April 3rd, 2014, 06:27
UK has to wait on our famous postal system to not lose our mail and do it quickly!

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:29
Well, the work day is over. Now to focus on bigger problems, like cleaning up after hot water pipes exploding and flooding your apartment with painfully hot water...and repairing obnoxious dehumidifiers...*sighs*

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 06:31
It's just Alaska, Seattle and DC left.

I JUST GOT CALLED. I WAS SHORTLISTED.

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:31
Well looks like we're waiting till either tomorrow or Friday...

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:33

AAH congrats!!! Did they say that they're only calling shortlisters? Shit. Now I'm scared :X

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:34
HorseFeathers, you're near Honolulu?! And congratulations!!

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 06:35
HorseFeathers, you're near Honolulu?! And congratulations!!

I wish. I live in DC.

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:36
They're calling people?! Oh god...Now I'm even more worried...

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:37
Also, just because my surname is at the wrong end of the alphabet, what is the first letter of yours?

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 06:37
AAH congrats!!! Did they say that they're only calling shortlisters? Shit. Now I'm scared :X

They started by asking if I was still interested and then started getting into explaining the email they were going to send to me. I had to ask her if I was an alternate or short list. And she said short-list. I kinda freaked out for a minute or two. Thankfully she was very patient with me. She just said she was going to email me more information in a day or two.

My surname starts with an H.

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:39
Well, I guess they'll contact me Friday then. But I suppose a W should be used to this...XD

sparrosd
April 3rd, 2014, 06:43
I wish. I live in DC.

So... although this may sound stupid... they are calling DC applicants?

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:44
So it seems. I can ask my friend if it was the same for him. He was an upgraded alternate last year.

sparrosd
April 3rd, 2014, 06:44
Well, I guess they'll contact me Friday then. But I suppose a W should be used to this...XD

Im right there with u. As an S. Hopefully they will stay late and order pizza so they can call us. Haha

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:45
It suddenly occurred to me that they may stay a little later than normal today if they're calling people. It may be they want to call them outside of business hours to better ensure a prompt answer? Or perhaps my logic is a bit too wishful?

--Edit--
Oops, didn't see your response there. Yeah, hopefully.

osakavamp
April 3rd, 2014, 06:46
I wish we'd heard something from Seattle by now... I wonder if they're going to call us or email us or send it in the mail or what...

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 06:47
You're also 3 hours behind us on the East Coast. It's 5:50 right now. D: So don't give up hope!

itsabird
April 3rd, 2014, 07:07
Not gonna lie. This thread needs some of these right about now:
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff results please

Or for those of you in my boat, I'm sure you're actually thinking more along the lines of:
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff upgrade please

And, uhhh, yeah. That's pretty much all I wanted to say :).
Good luck to anyone still waiting, and best of luck to anyone anxiously waiting for people to deny their shortlist positions so you have a chance!

PS: Feel free to add it to your signature like me! Yay!

Curious-Cat
April 3rd, 2014, 07:21
I guess they're only calling short-listers. I got the e-mail. I'm an alternate.

aoma
April 3rd, 2014, 07:26
I'm so excited! I just got the call that I'm accepted!
Congratulations to everyone also!

sparrosd
April 3rd, 2014, 07:30
I guess they're only calling short-listers. I got the e-mail. I'm an alternate.

Same here. :D

Sarenka
April 3rd, 2014, 07:55
Canadian JET hopefuls continue to be slaves to their anxiety... q_q

LaVie
April 3rd, 2014, 08:00
Got my email, I too am an Alternate!

sparrosd
April 3rd, 2014, 08:02
Got my email, I too am an Alternate!

Congratulations!!! Im very excited. Aren't yall? :)

yukito
April 3rd, 2014, 08:07
Posting from Honolulu, Hawaii. Applied as an ALT.

Still no e-mail or phone call. It's April 2nd, 1:00 PM here, so I think I have another 3 hour potential wait before our consulate closes. :(

littleanemonefish
April 3rd, 2014, 08:21
4:24 here is seattle. Still no word :/

HorseFeathers
April 3rd, 2014, 08:35
I hope I see all you alternates there! There's still hope!

And just so you guys know, I received my call at 5:35pm. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get anything tonight. Came as quite a shock.

But goodness, the information packet we fill out is almost as daunting as the initial application form was. At least there's no essay required this time.

moonbeam
April 3rd, 2014, 08:38
I also got an email--I'm an alternate from DC. Happy that I wasn't rejected. There's still hope!

mmarief09
April 3rd, 2014, 09:05

Congratulations! It`s the best feeling isn`t it?
I remember she was giving me so much information over the phone after telling me the result and in my head I was like "Send it in an email I can`t process all of this now!" Haha. But I`m glad they got back to you in time! All that nail biting paid off! c:

And congrats to all of the alternates as well! Don`t give up hope! Fill out the paperwork and hang in there. You never know!

osakavamp
April 3rd, 2014, 09:18
5:20 in Seattle and nothing. I guess miamicoordinator was wrong about all the consulates getting their notifications out today. This is fucking torture.

Randomgirl
April 3rd, 2014, 09:24
And all of canada!

sharpinthefang
April 3rd, 2014, 09:28
and all of the UK for about a week!

littleanemonefish
April 3rd, 2014, 09:32
5:20 in Seattle and nothing. I guess miamicoordinator was wrong about all the consulates getting their notifications out today. This is fucking torture.

Seriously. I don't know how well I'm gonna sleep not knowing yet.

osakavamp
April 3rd, 2014, 10:10
Seriously. I don't know how well I'm gonna sleep not knowing yet.

Are you kidding? I'm exhausted by this whole thing. I could sleep now.

At least all these adrenaline rushes and agitation are making it so if I am rejected, I almost don't care anymore.

windar
April 3rd, 2014, 15:23
Are you kidding? I'm exhausted by this whole thing. I could sleep now.

At least all these adrenaline rushes and agitation are making it so if I am rejected, I almost don't care anymore.

Okay, I'm going to be frank. I went through the same exact torture last year as an applicant through Seattle and I know how it feels. I don't know that we were the LAST to find out, but I do know that announcements started on Monday or Tuesday of the week, which made for daily (and hourly) email checks on my part for notification, and basically everyone found out before us.

By the end of (what I thought were) business hours in Seattle on Friday evening, I gave up, went for a walk, resigned to getting notice on Monday (PLEASE, GOD, AT LEAST MONDAY!). I carried an iPod (no smartphone) on the off-chance that I'd find an internet connection and somehow find notification, even though that seemed unlikely. I think I got the email like 40 minutes later, after 6pm on the West Coast. Of course, I freaked out. Late notice was better than no notice at all.

I checked another previous year's forum to read notices and saw the same thing happened the prior year. "Still no word from Seattle..." was the constant lament. Frankly, Seattle sucks (at getting the word out). It's great to be accepted, and I realize it must be a lot of work for the consulate and coordinators, but I think it is inconsiderate to applicants to make them wait absurdly long when everyone else is finding out. Of course, boo-hoo, I know, but I honestly don't see how year over year they can be the last to get the word out.

So just keep waiting, hopefully by late in the evening Friday night you will know something.

Oh, and if this wait sucks, it will just most likely be repeated when it's time for placements. "Placements are out today!" was posted on like a Tuesday and we didn't find out until Friday after 7:30 p.m.

therealwindycity
April 3rd, 2014, 17:25
Coordinators have a lot on their plates. Most of them have quite a bit of work to do besides JET, and most of them are probably not aware of the schedule on which other consulates' notifications are going out. There might also be other factors like needing to confirm things with Tokyo/double-checking/who knows. I am certain that they don't mean to be inconsiderate to applicants; many of them have been through the JET application process themselves and are aware of the stress.

Shelia
April 3rd, 2014, 17:43
Got my letter today, I'm short-listed! :D

Moso
April 3rd, 2014, 21:32
CIR applicant from the UK eagerly waiting on a reply here. Though reading another thread, it seems like they're going the snail mail route in the UK, and we won't know until next week. Boo! D: Anyway, congratulations to all successful applicants! Had three American friends who applied. One was shortlisted, one was placed in reserve, and one was unfortunately rejected. So over the last day I've vicariously experienced all three potential outcomes. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for both myself and others waiting on replies!

Oh, another UK CIR applicant! We're a rare breed. Anyway I'm pretty sure I didn't get it, but I just want to see the actual letter so I can have closure, lol.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 21:35

One thing is to plan to have all notifications out by a certain time, another thing is it actually happening according to plan. April begins the new fiscal year in japan, so there is a lot of commotion happening at all of the consulates.

With that being said, in the future i will be more careful about time frames concerning other consulates since i have no direct control.

Bi-Kun
April 3rd, 2014, 22:43

I don't think it was very fair of you to make such a statement. Miamicoordinator being willing to share such information was very generous and unnecessary. Now you're placing guilt and discontent on her unnecessarily. It was a conjecture. An educated estimate that none of the rest of us could have made. It accurately applied to the vast majority of applicants/consulates, just unfortunately not you. Please don't blame her because something happened that was out of her control....

I and many others greatly appreciate your presence and insight, miamicoordinator. My apologies.... :(

Jedirust
April 3rd, 2014, 22:46
I don't think it was very fair of you to make such a statement. Miamicoordinator being willing to share such information was very generous and unnecessary. Now you're placing guilt and discontent on her unnecessarily. It was a conjecture. An educated estimate that none of the rest of us could have made. It accurately applied to the vast majority of applicats/consulates, just unfortunately not you. Please don't blame her because something happened that was out of her control....

I and many others greatly appreciate your presence and insight, miamicoordinator. My apologies.... :(

I concur.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 22:54
Please don't blame her :(

him*

^_^/

itsabird
April 3rd, 2014, 23:09
him*

^_^/

Lol'd.
Bold assumptions with all those pronouns, guys!

Last year's coordinator, the one that posted on the official JET forums before they took down the aspiring JETs section, was indeed a 'her' though, if I remember correctly...

spman2099
April 3rd, 2014, 23:13
Well, I am an alternate.

Bi-Kun
April 3rd, 2014, 23:13
him*

^_^/

Lol'd.

Last year's coordinator, the one that posted on the official JET forums before they took down the aspiring JETs section, was indeed a 'her' though, if I remember correctly...

I was under that impression too, itsabird!! Here I was under the impression I was being thoughtful in remembering, but seems I've only just made another assumption!

Miamicoordinator, my apologies once again?? :(

PS: I like your style. \^_^

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 23:14
Lol'd.

That is correct. The coordinator in Miami for last 4 or so years was a woman. I know many people knew her from the official forums. When she left she retired from the official forums. When I took over her position, I made a new account on the official forums, and then the aspiring forums were shortly closed thereafter. I decided to make camp here, and see how I could help. But yes, the previous coordinator was a she, but I am indeed a he, for future reference.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 23:16
I was under that impression too, itsabird!! Here I was under the impression I was being thoughtful in remembering, but seems I've only just made another assumption!

Miamicoordinator, my apologies once again?? :(

PS: I like your style. \^_^

Not a problem at all Bi-kun. I have been called much worse things in my life! No offense taken.

osakavamp
April 4th, 2014, 00:02
I don't think it was very fair of you to make such a statement. Miamicoordinator being willing to share such information was very generous and unnecessary. Now you're placing guilt and discontent on her unnecessarily. It was a conjecture. An educated estimate that none of the rest of us could have made. It accurately applied to the vast majority of applicants/consulates, just unfortunately not you. Please don't blame her because something happened that was out of her control....

With all due respect, you are putting words in my mouth at an astonishing rate. I not blaming anyone. I was merely speculating when I said what I did. It would be ridiculous to blame anyone in this situation. Please cool your jets.

itsabird
April 4th, 2014, 00:10
Please cool your jets.

Heh... Heh. Jets.... :)...

Mimi
April 4th, 2014, 01:43
Oh, another UK CIR applicant! We're a rare breed. Anyway I'm pretty sure I didn't get it, but I just want to see the actual letter so I can have closure, lol.

Oh, hey, nice to know I'm not the only one. I thought my interview went pretty well and I was in with a good shout back when I took it, but the more time that passes, the more I chew through my answers and realise how bad some of them sounded. Can't say I'm that hopeful at this point either, although maybe I'm just overthinking things. Good luck, at any rate!

Caramel
April 4th, 2014, 01:49
Miami, do you happen to have an idea when the first upgrades will start rolling out? I know that technically they could happen anytime from this month on, but are there any chances that upgrades could happen as soon as next week?

LaVie
April 4th, 2014, 01:58
Miami, do you happen to have an idea when the first upgrades will start rolling out? I know that technically they could happen anytime from this month on, but are there any chances that upgrades could happen as soon as next week?

Miamicoordinator,
I'm wondering too if they need our reply form before they start calling Alternates? Or if they have any upgrades this month do they just call people regardless?
Thanks

pjef
April 4th, 2014, 02:27
I was thinking the exact same thing. Either way I have already mailed my reply form and my background check. Hopefully getting my reply early will show them how interested I still am.

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 02:30

I will respond to both you and LaVie at the same time since the questions are related.

Some Consulates have already begun upgrading alternates. Most Consulates have the deadline for the reply form within the next few weeks. Miami's deadline is April 25th for example for the reply form. Unless I receive the reply form from the short lister stating they decline a position, I cannot offer a spot to an alternate. Many people will e-mail or call and say they accept/decline the offer and then change their mind. For this reason, unless we get the reply form from the short-lister declining, we cannot move forward with alternates.

ALternates on the other hand also have a reply form. It is best to put that in as well because it is the best way we have of knowing you are still interested, and that way we can contact you if there is an upgrade spot. If you never submit the form by the deadline, then we assume you are not interested and cross you off the list.

Please note though that some of our Supervisors are cautious when it comes to upgrades and they will wait till we get the green light from Tokyo to officially upgrade. (There is paperwork involved with this) While others are a bit more liberal, know the drill, and will just upgrade as short-listers decline.

So yes, upgrades can happen as soon as next week.

And for LaVie, it would depend on the coordinator. Personally, my office does not upgrade an alternate without getting a reply form back from them. I know some offices do though. Since you applied in D.C., I am unsure on how exactly they handle upgrades, but to be safe, turn in that reply form as quick as possible.

Hope this helps.

Caramel
April 4th, 2014, 02:39
Thank you for your answer, Miami--it was indeed quite helpful. Houston's deadline is the 30th of April; I personally will have my alternate reply form sent out by next week. From what you said, it sounds like while it is possible for upgrades to happen as soon as next week, it is more likely that most upgrades will not happen until end of April due to paperwork?

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 02:45
Thank you for your answer, Miami--it was indeed quite helpful. Houston's deadline is the 30th of April; I personally will have my alternate reply form sent out by next week. From what you said, it sounds like while it is possible for upgrades to happen as soon as next week, it is more likely that most upgrades will not happen until end of April due to paperwork?

There will definitely be a wave of upgrades come end of April since that is the deadline for the initial paperwork. Between the beaurocracy and office red tape mixed with the paperwork, the majority of the first wave of upgrades should be the end of the month. Then there will be another round of upgrades when placements come out (sometime in June), then another smaller wave in September (after people have gotten to Japan and found out teaching isn't for them). Those are the three main waves. Upgrades do happen in between these times though. People have family emergencies and drop out, people are foolish and get arrested for DUI and get kicked off the short list, etc...

I know a couple of the Consulates have already begun with upgrades, it just depends on the supervisor.

Perestroika84
April 4th, 2014, 03:53
After being booted from these fora like sixty-million times. I, a common lurker, am here to say:

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGOOOO!!

Wine wine wine wine wine!!!!! :039:We een.

Caramel
April 4th, 2014, 04:23
After being booted from these fora like sixty-million times. I, a common lurker, am here to say:

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGOOOO!!

Wine wine wine wine wine!!!!! :039:We een.

Hell yeah you get to represent the Islands!

(My grandma's from Martinique, so not too far off from where you are)

LaVie
April 4th, 2014, 04:45
I will respond to both you and LaVie at the same time since the questions are related.

And for LaVie, it would depend on the coordinator. Personally, my office does not upgrade an alternate without getting a reply form back from them. I know some offices do though. Since you applied in D.C., I am unsure on how exactly they handle upgrades, but to be safe, turn in that reply form as quick as possible.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot MC!
I just went and got my photos taken, so the reply form will be in the mail first thing tomorrow after work. Luckily, they already have my criminal background summary, so at least there's no dealing with that.

HorseFeathers
April 4th, 2014, 07:05
That criminal background summary makes me nervous. In fact almost all of this paperwork makes me nervous. I plan to get started on it first thing this weekend. But I'm not sure where to begin.

osakavamp
April 4th, 2014, 07:28
SEATTLE APPLICANTS:

Someone submitted this to the JET Programme subreddit:

"Hey my fellow applicants. I was informed by my Japanese professor this morning that she received an email saying the Seattle consulate is currently in the process of changing over from one JET coordinator to another. This could explain why Seattle has been slower on sending out notifications, and why it could take longer.
Anyways, just passing the word!"

Sarenka
April 4th, 2014, 07:32
That criminal background summary makes me nervous. In fact almost all of this paperwork makes me nervous. I plan to get started on it first thing this weekend. But I'm not sure where to begin.

It's honestly not as bad as the initial application. I went out this evening to get my medical appointments and requisitions in line, so that will be done by Friday of next week. Canadian background check doesn't have to be in until June 20th so that's a ways off, and the Pre-Departure Event Calendar Registration Form isn't out yet so can't worry about that. I had two extra pictures from my interview slips, so I don't have to worry about too much... I have a thesis to finish first!!

littleanemonefish
April 4th, 2014, 10:46
Just another day with no word in Seattle. I feel like I've gone through all the stages of anticipation and I'm kind of resigned with not knowing yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

osakavamp
April 4th, 2014, 10:59
Just another day with no word in Seattle. I feel like I've gone through all the stages of anticipation and I'm kind of resigned with not knowing yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

I know what you mean completely.

I posted earlier that apparently (from another person's mouth) the Seattle JET coordinator job is switching hands right now, so that is probably influencing why things are taking forever.

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 11:03

I posted earlier that apparently (from another person's mouth) the Seattle JET coordinator job is switching hands right now, so that is probably influencing why things are taking forever.

I can confirm this. I couldn't say anything, but if the Japanese Professor spilled the beans, I can at least confirm this is true.

littleanemonefish
April 4th, 2014, 11:04

Yeah, I saw. I kind of know Lynn, the current coordinator. The first time I met her was almost 4 years ago. I wonder if she's retiring, moving on, or just too busy with whatever else she does to continue being the JET coordinator. I know a lot of people go through the Seattle consulate, so I can only imagine how busy they must be.

*I don't know if there are multiple coordinators, so maybe this doesn't even have anything to do with her. Just speculating.

Kimathen
April 4th, 2014, 22:37
I have a question. In the e-mail I got, it said that most short-listed people get placements, but that there are still small chances that a contracting organization cannot be found.

Has anyone ever heard of people being short-listed, only to find out that they couldn't get a placement anywhere? Or are they just putting that out there just to be safe, in case it ever happens?

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 23:15
I have a question. In the e-mail I got, it said that most short-listed people get placements, but that there are still small chances that a contracting organization cannot be found.

Has anyone ever heard of people being short-listed, only to find out that they couldn't get a placement anywhere? Or are they just putting that out there just to be safe, in case it ever happens?

This does happen in rare cases. The number of short-listers is determined by the number of Contracting Organizations who need JETs. Its not like they will short-list someone and say "Oops, sorry, we don't have a spot for you afterall." When people are short-listed and cannot be found a spot, it is usually because of specific situations with the applicant. Maybe he/she needs to be near a big city hospital for a medical condition, but there are no placements that can accomodate this need, or maybe the C.O. requires someone with a drivers license, and the applicant does not want to get a license, and hopes they will find a non-driving C.O. There are of course other reasons, but for the most part, if you are short-listed you should not worry too much.

This only happens in rare cases where a placement cannot be found, but we are required to let all short-listers know that it is a possibility.

marshmallow3
April 5th, 2014, 00:30
I was shortlisted from the Boston consulate. Just out of curiosity, which non-USA locations depart with Group A and who departs with Group B?

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 00:44
I was shortlisted from the Boston consulate. Just out of curiosity, which non-USA locations depart with Group A and who departs with Group B?
All i know is that trinidad and tobago usually meet up with miami at the airport. I am unsure about other countries. Sorry.

Bi-Kun
April 5th, 2014, 01:20
This does happen in rare cases. The number of short-listers is determined by the number of Contracting Organizations who need JETs. Its not like they will short-list someone and say "Oops, sorry, we don't have a spot for you afterall." When people are short-listed and cannot be found a spot, it is usually because of specific situations with the applicant. Maybe he/she needs to be near a big city hospital for a medical condition, but there are no placements that can accomodate this need, or maybe the C.O. requires someone with a drivers license, and the applicant does not want to get a license, and hopes they will find a non-driving C.O. There are of course other reasons, but for the most part, if you are short-listed you should not worry too much.

This only happens in rare cases where a placement cannot be found, but we are required to let all short-listers know that it is a possibility.

I don't have a drivers license, should I be concerned or is this still a very rare chance I'll have issues? I stated this in my original application and will do so on my reply form.

osakavamp
April 5th, 2014, 01:33
Here's hoping that today will be the day the Seattle applicants will receive notice of what might be going on with the next 1 ~ 3 years of their lives.

littleanemonefish
April 5th, 2014, 05:23
Here's hoping that today will be the day the Seattle applicants will receive notice of what might be going on with the next 1 ~ 3 years of their lives.

I'm right there with you.

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 05:34
I don't have a drivers license, should I be concerned or is this still a very rare chance I'll have issues? I stated this in my original application and will do so on my reply form.

Do not run out and get a license or anything. I was just mentioning one of a million possibilities that things can happen. If you told them from the beginning you dont have a license, then thats what they know of you already. No worries.

Caramel
April 5th, 2014, 05:49
Miami! I wanted to ask you specifically, and I just thought of it talking to another member--

Can being married to someone who would be your dependent adversely affect you? For example, my significant other would be accompanying me should I go, but he did not apply and isn't even a US citizen. Could this have pushed me into Alternate status versus shortlisted?

osakavamp
April 5th, 2014, 05:53
I'm right there with you.

I keep checking here to see if you've posted that you've heard anything in order to keep myself from calling the consulate to see if I've missed their email somehow.

littleanemonefish
April 5th, 2014, 05:54
I keep checking here to see if you've posted that you've heard anything in order to keep myself from calling the consulate to see if I've missed their email somehow.

Haha. I'll be sure to quote you if I hear something.

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 06:05
Miami! I wanted to ask you specifically, and I just thought of it talking to another member--

Can being married to someone who would be your dependent adversely affect you? For example, my significant other would be accompanying me should I go, but he did not apply and isn't even a US citizen. Could this have pushed me into Alternate status versus shortlisted?

This would have 0% of adversely affecting you initial status of short-listers or alternate. Getting dependent visas for your husband/wives/kids is very easy as long as your Contracting Organization knows they are coming. The only time have a spouse or kids MAY cause some issues is way down upgrade time(after August) when people have broken contract, and Contracting Organizations are looking for specific candidates (single female, no kids. etc..) to replace the one that just left. While it may seem discriminatory, many times the apartments they get for the JETs need to follow rules set by the landlord. Sometimes the landlords do not want a family, or more than one person there etc..

So, rest assured you being married did not have a negative impact on your alternate/short-list status.

eminate
April 5th, 2014, 08:02
This would have 0% of adversely affecting you initial status of short-listers or alternate. Getting dependent visas for your husband/wives/kids is very easy as long as your Contracting Organization knows they are coming. The only time have a spouse or kids MAY cause some issues is way down upgrade time(after August) when people have broken contract, and Contracting Organizations are looking for specific candidates (single female, no kids. etc..) to replace the one that just left. While it may seem discriminatory, many times the apartments they get for the JETs need to follow rules set by the landlord. Sometimes the landlords do not want a family, or more than one person there etc..

So, rest assured you being married did not have a negative impact on your alternate/short-list status.

Just to add some perspective, I was directly told by my interviewers (in fact, as the very first statement for both last year's AND this year's interview) that one of the biggest problems they have is that married JETs break contract because their spouse is unhappy/bored/homesick. My first interview (which I failed) spent at least half the time asking me questions about my husband and explaining to me all the myriad problems that having a dependent spouse could cause while on the JET program.

Though this time I was much better prepared to convince them that yes, my husband wanted to go to Japan and had a plan to stay busy and occupied while there, even this year's (successful) interview spent a good chunk of time discussing whether my husband was going to be ok in Japan.

It must have more than a 0% impact on your viability for the program if they spend so much time dwelling on it... but of course, perhaps there could be other reasons why both my interviews went that way, I simply can't say. Or perhaps my consulate has had more problems with this kind of thing in the past, which has made them wary.

At the very least, to the interviewers, your spouse represents an unknown quantity with considerable influence over your decisions and emotional health during your stay on the program. I just wouldn't want future interviewees to go into their application and interview without warning that it does appear (from my experiences) that your interview will be both for you AND your spouse, to some extent.
They will most definitely ask you about it, and, if you can't convince them your S.O. isn't a liability, I doubt you'd escape some consequences. Clearly, since I was accepted this year, it is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it is undoubtedly a subject they will explore.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 08:15
Any Seattle-items hear yet? If it makes you feel better, your northern neighbours in vancouver feel your pain!!!!

Hugs!

nostos
April 5th, 2014, 08:17
Eminate, I have a husband and a child coming with me. My interviewers didn't mention them AT ALL. I got one question about how I would deal with any kind of work trips or something. That was it.

eminate
April 5th, 2014, 08:23
Eminate, I have a husband and a child coming with me. My interviewers didn't mention them AT ALL. I got one question about how I would deal with any kind of work trips or something. That was it.

Interesting... well at least we know that nothing is certain! haha. I'm sure the more we try to figure out the JET process, the more confusing it becomes.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 08:31
Vancouver results are out - shortlisted, and bringing my 5 year old!!!

Bi-Kun
April 5th, 2014, 08:32

Interesting... well at least we know that nothing is certain! haha. I'm sure the more we try to figure out the JET process, the more confusing it becomes.

I think the best thing to tell people is ESID. Am I doing it right? :cool:

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 08:35

From the looks of things, all of the UK short-listers depart with Group B - I am not sure if this is the same as your Group B or whether different countries have completely different groups, but there you go. So we depart on the second of August, arrive on the 3rd and our Tokyo Orientation seems to be the 4th and 5th August.

littleanemonefish
April 5th, 2014, 08:47

Congrats! Nothing in Seattle yet :/

I may have to resort to getting drunk now that it's almost Friday night.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 09:03
Oh no, Seattle! I hope you don't have to wait all weekend!!! I'd die from anxiety!!! Stay strong!!!!

Rg

Bi-Kun
April 5th, 2014, 09:12
From the looks of things, all of the UK short-listers depart with Group B - I am not sure if this is the same as your Group B or whether different countries have completely different groups, but there you go. So we depart on the second of August, arrive on the 3rd and our Tokyo Orientation seems to be the 4th and 5th August.

Group B, Detroit here. Our dates match up. There is only one Group A and one Group B. I was also curious as to which countries are with which group... We have London though! Yay :)

Here's the USA setup:

Group A: New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Seattle, Spokane, Denver, Salt Lake City

Group B: Washington D.C., Boston, Nashville, San Francisco, Portland, Anchorage, Honolulu, Hagatna (Guam), Miami, Detroit

osakavamp
April 5th, 2014, 09:21
Congrats! Nothing in Seattle yet :/

I may have to resort to getting drunk now that it's almost Friday night.

You and me both.

Brady
April 5th, 2014, 12:14
All we have an idea of is who are picks are according to the recommendation list we send Tokyo. After that, it is up to them to decide whether or not they agree with what we say, and who we recommend. I had people I thought would be shortlisted for sure, and unfortunately, they weren't :(Was a rough day for me.Were the people who you thought would be shortlisted at least chosen as alternates? Have you ever seen people who were not recommend get shortlisted anyway?

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 12:21
Were the people who you thought would be shortlisted at least chosen as alternates? Have you ever seen people who were not recommend get shortlisted anyway?

This year I had many people I wanted to go, not get shortlisted.

Short-listed candidates fluctuate year to year. Some years we send 15, some years, 30, some years 10. You just never know till the numbers come from Tokyo giving us the info. In the same light, some years many short listers decline and people you never thought would make it to upgrades go.

johnny
April 5th, 2014, 12:30

Siiiiiiick. I am really happy to hear you made it!

johnny
April 5th, 2014, 12:35
This year I had many people I wanted to go, not get shortlisted.

Short-listed candidates fluctuate year to year. Some years we send 15, some years, 30, some years 10. You just never know till the numbers come from Tokyo giving us the info. In the same light, some years many short listers decline and people you never thought would make it to upgrades go.

Hey MC, does Miami typically take all the applicants out of Florida? If so 30 short-listed candidates for your consulate seems surprisingly low. Out of my province of BC, over 40 were sent last year. Our population is only about 4 million whereas Florida's is just shy of 20 million.

Would BC get more slots because we had more applicants? Or is it based on population? Or is it a complete mystery?

itsabird
April 5th, 2014, 12:39
Hey MC, does Miami typically take all the applicants out of Florida? If so 30 short-listed candidates for your consulate seems surprisingly low. Out of my province of BC, over 40 were sent last year. Our population is only about 4 million whereas Florida's is just shy of 20 million.

Would BC get more slots because we had more applicants? Or is it based on population? Or is it a complete mystery?
Some people in the northern parts of Florida go to the consulate in Atlanta, I know that much. But yeah it does seem low :/.

Brady
April 5th, 2014, 12:42
This year I had many people I wanted to go, not get shortlisted. Short-listed candidates fluctuate year to year. Some years we send 15, some years, 30, some years 10. You just never know till the numbers come from Tokyo giving us the info. In the same light, some years many short listers decline and people you never thought would make it to upgrades go.Yes, I understand that they did not get shortlisted, but were they chosen as alternates? I'm wondering if people who were most highly recommended by the interviewers could be completely rejected (i.e. not shortlisted or chosen as alternates).

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 12:43

You'd be surprised how FEW people apply through Miami. You would think with a State with so many people we would get more, but actually we had less than 200 people apply through Florida this year. One of the problems is the shape of Florida. Its so long, and frankly it is hard for people from Tallahassee, and Pensacola to come to Miami. They usually apply in Atlanta, or other consulates. We do get some Gainesville people, every year, but they can go elsewhere also.

The number of people we send greatly depends on how many people apply through each Consulate. In places like New York or San Francisco, they get TONS of applicants, so they send more. Because of Geographical issues, and the fact that Japanese is not too popular in the South East, we normally do not get many applicants unfortunately :(

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 12:47
Yes, I understand that they did not get shortlisted, but were they chosen as alternates? I'm wondering if people who were most highly recommended by the interviewers could be completely rejected (i.e. not shortlisted or chosen as alternates).

Applicants are either short-listed, set as an alternate, or flat out rejected.

If the interview committee highly recommended someone, it is very unlikely that they would be rejected unless there is some strange medical issue, or special circumstance that Japan can't deal with. If you are highly recommended, its either short-listed, or alternate

Brady
April 5th, 2014, 13:06
If the interview committee highly recommended someone, it is very unlikely that they would be rejected unless there is some strange medical issue, or special circumstance that Japan can't deal with. If you are highly recommended, its either short-listed, or alternateThank you for clarifying.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 14:07
Aw, thanks Johnny!!!!

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 21:56
Shortlisted for CIR in the UK! See you all in the Tokyo Orientation! (well, if there's only one orientation..)

marshmallow3
April 6th, 2014, 01:39
Hey MC, what's the deal with Pre-departure Orientation? Are they mandatory or does it vary from place to place?

Kokoro
April 6th, 2014, 02:02
You'd be surprised how FEW people apply through Miami. You would think with a State with so many people we would get more, but actually we had less than 200 people apply through Florida this year. One of the problems is the shape of Florida. Its so long, and frankly it is hard for people from Tallahassee, and Pensacola to come to Miami. They usually apply in Atlanta, or other consulates. We do get some Gainesville people, every year, but they can go elsewhere also.

The number of people we send greatly depends on how many people apply through each Consulate. In places like New York or San Francisco, they get TONS of applicants, so they send more. Because of Geographical issues, and the fact that Japanese is not too popular in the South East, we normally do not get many applicants unfortunately :(

I agree, as someone who interviewed in Miami there's a somewhat limited number of metropolitan areas within striking distance of the consulate. Miami is in the far southeast of Florida and difficult to reach depending on where you're located. I went from Tampa which meant a 4 hour drive each way.

itsabird
April 6th, 2014, 02:07
I agree, as someone who interviewed in Miami there's a somewhat limited number of metropolitan areas within striking distance of the consulate. Miami is in the far southeast of Florida and difficult to reach depending on where you're located. I went from Tampa which meant a 4 hour drive each way.

I live less than an hour away. That being said, Miami traffic and the way the city is layed out is terrible. Every time I've gone to the consulate I've taken every wrong turn, ultimately having to go back to i95 to try again...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

miamicoordinator
April 6th, 2014, 02:14
Hey MC, what's the deal with Pre-departure Orientation? Are they mandatory or does it vary from place to place?

They are mandatory. We pass out insurance booklets, and discuss some.topics that wr are required to tell you before you go to japan. Many of us give out your passports at the pdo also. Its a good time to meet the other short listers in person since you will be on a flight the next day.

I know many people dont like them and think they are uneccesary, but they are mandatory at all locations in the states.

AVN
April 6th, 2014, 20:11
They are mandatory. We pass out insurance booklets, and discuss some.topics that wr are required to tell you before you go to japan. Many of us give out your passports at the pdo also. Its a good time to meet the other short listers in person since you will be on a flight the next day.

I know many people dont like them and think they are uneccesary, but they are mandatory at all locations in the states.

Not sure about the states, but in certain situations exceptions can be made. Most notably, if you were in Japan at the time of application and still are.

osakavamp
April 8th, 2014, 02:04
Seattle. The wait of seven days was worth it. Shortlisted.

LaVie
April 8th, 2014, 02:46

Congrats! After all tha waiting I was hoping that you wouldn't be dissapointed :)

littleanemonefish
April 8th, 2014, 04:40
I was rejected. Much disappoint. I can't really tell why either, I thought I would at least get on the alternate list :/ oh well, on to plan B. I'm gonna go wwoof in japan for 3 months starting at the end of August and look for a job while I'm there. Maybe I'll apply for JET again next year or in a year or two.

seattlejin
April 8th, 2014, 04:45
Shortlisted from the Seattle consulate. That was a brutal weekend of waiting.

HorseFeathers
April 8th, 2014, 07:29

I can't believe they made you wait all weekend. D: I was going crazy on Tuesday. I can't even imagine having to wait that long.

At least it was worth it? :)

yukito
April 8th, 2014, 13:30
Still waiting in Honolulu. I hope I didn't screw up my contact info. ><

Yunishkai
April 8th, 2014, 14:12
Got the short-listed call from the Washington, DC consulate while heading home from skipping English class. (... Almost a week later and I am still in disbelief.)

HorseFeathers
April 9th, 2014, 09:11
Got the short-listed call from the Washington, DC consulate while heading home from skipping English class. (... Almost a week later and I am still in disbelief.)

I'll see you at orientation then, Yunishkai! :D

Curious-Cat
April 9th, 2014, 10:30
Yunishkai - out of curiosity, what university do you attend? I haven't been able to find anyone that was shortlisted at UMCP...

par92186
April 10th, 2014, 11:17

Congratulations!

par92186
April 10th, 2014, 11:21
To anyone in the know...the Required Documents Submission says we have to send "Proof of Graduation" which are transcripts or copies of a diploma. I have already sent this paperwork in with my original application (1 original and 2 copies). Do we have to send these transcripts out again? I e-mailed my Consulate, but have not heard anything yet.

therealwindycity
April 10th, 2014, 11:26
I think that's only for people who are graduating this spring, since they need to confirm that they didn't fail out at the last minute. If you've already graduated you don't need to send proof again IIRC

par92186
April 10th, 2014, 11:27
I think that's only for people who are graduating this spring, since they need to confirm that they didn't fail out at the last minute. If you've already graduated you don't need to send proof again IIRC

Cool, thanks! One less thing I have to pay for.

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2014, 11:39
Cool, thanks! One less thing I have to pay for.

You should be fine, but fire off an e-mail to your coordinator. There is a chance they don't have the documents on them anymore (everything sent to Tokyo for instance), and might need copies for your upcoming VISA.

jacklostinred
April 10th, 2014, 12:02
You should be fine, but fire off an e-mail to your coordinator. There is a chance they don't have the documents on them anymore (everything sent to Tokyo for instance), and might need copies for your upcoming VISA.

For the past 2 years Canada has been using a really good system where they require you to scan in a copy of all of your documents and just mail the originals.

@par92186 (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/par92186.html) I would verify with your coordinator but for the most part they should have a digital copy which I believe you can still access.

par92186
April 10th, 2014, 12:05
For the past 2 years Canada has been using a really good system where they require you to scan in a copy of all of your documents and just mail the originals.

@par92186 (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/par92186.html) I would verify with your coordinator but for the most part they should have a digital copy which I believe you can still access.

Thanks for the feedback!

jacklostinred
April 10th, 2014, 12:14
Well I thought this was the Canadian thread. Either way, follow Gizmo's advice and use your coordinator. At this point most JET coordinators spend their time managing the paperwork for future JETs so call and keep them busy.

par92186
April 10th, 2014, 13:01
for your time-wasting pleasure:

WTF Japan Seriously (http://www.wtfjapanseriously.com/)

whatahw
April 11th, 2014, 08:47
From Ireland and I managed to get short listed!

Wasn't given any info regarding which group Irish JETs are departing with, just a deadline for submitting paperwork.

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 15:45

Congrats, friend.

par92186
April 14th, 2014, 08:52
all my paperwork has been submitted to accept my Shortlist position. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up lol. How are others fairing on their submissions?

Zigtalk
April 14th, 2014, 10:26
all my paperwork has been submitted to accept my Shortlist position. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up lol. How are others fairing on their submissions?All of the shortlist paperwork has been sent in, and now I'm just waiting to make sure everything arrived and all of my government forms are processed in time. I feel like I've holding my breath since October.

itsabird
April 14th, 2014, 11:27
I've had my paperwork all filled out (and delivered) since the day after receiving notification that I was an alternate. Just waiting for a miracle to happen while looking into backup plans in the event I have to reapply for next year.

Kdes23
April 14th, 2014, 11:35
A good chunk of shortlisters drop out. It really varies and is dependent on many circumstances, but I feel confident in saying that at least 10% of short list candidates drop out, and as high as 20-30% may drop out (was probably even higher during the 2011 disaster).

It's a bummer being an alternate. I know the feels man.

For your information though, in my case there were 4 or 5 people upgraded out of a total 20, which is 25%! :P It's very good that you're planning alternative options though. You're doing your sanity a favour ;)

itsabird
April 14th, 2014, 14:41
A good chunk of shortlisters drop out. It really varies and is dependent on many circumstances, but I feel confident in saying that at least 10% of short list candidates drop out, and as high as 20-30% may drop out (was probably even higher during the 2011 disaster).

It's a bummer being an alternate. I know the feels man.

For your information though, in my case there were 4 or 5 people upgraded out of a total 20, which is 25%! :P It's very good that you're planning alternative options though. You're doing your sanity a favour ;)

It's too bad it's been said in previous posts from my consulate that Miami didn't get too many spots:

Miami unfortunately did not have a lot of short-listers this year.

Few more weeks until things start rolling again though! I've got group projects to finish up that should keep me relatively busy enough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Curious-Cat
April 19th, 2014, 05:11

It's a small world after all. Congrats~! :DDDD

shue
May 8th, 2014, 13:38
I just got an upgrade. Singapore ALT here.