PDA

View Full Version : UK Applicants - Results Info 2014

ninja_raj
April 2nd, 2014, 20:25
After reading on the forum about the various applicants in the USA getting emails, I started to panic and took the plunge and called the Embassy in London.

We won't be receiving an email but a letter to both permanent and temporary addresses. The lady on the phone was lovely and high spirited, as though she had received many phone calls already, and told me they were processing them now, and that we should be expecting them by next week.

Hold out, we will have answers soon!

*Congratulations to those who have received results and have been shortlisted, alternates stay positive, and those who haven't got it, good luck with your next try and I hope you find something else you are just as passionate about!*

Moso
April 2nd, 2014, 23:59
Eek! The time is coming! Thanks for the info.

buh
April 3rd, 2014, 00:06
I was kind of expecting to come home today and find it waiting for me... ): no luck! It's great to know they're processing them etc though, thanks for calling/opening this thread!

Nell
April 3rd, 2014, 01:14
Oh good, at least that means I won't be compulsively checking my email all day anymore. I hate getting letters though... they take so long to open in comparison :P

Jamie Solo
April 3rd, 2014, 01:20
Oh good, at least that means I won't be compulsively checking my email all day anymore. I hate getting letters though... they take so long to open in comparison :P

Me too. Will save my phone battery I guess!

And yeah. At least with email its just a click. For a letter there's so much more suspense :P

Nell
April 3rd, 2014, 01:42
I'm guessing if they're still processing they probably won't send them out until at least Friday...

Mimi
April 3rd, 2014, 02:11
Blast, I guess there's no chance of me getting a reply this week, then. :'D Thanks for the heads up! Best of luck to other UK applicants!

Tzvi
April 3rd, 2014, 02:32
The worst thing about the letters is that apparently they send accompanying details with successful and alternate applicants so their envelopes are thicker than those who did not get onto the programme. It's strange to think we could know (to an extent) how we did before even opening the letters.

sharpinthefang
April 3rd, 2014, 05:03
The worst thing about the letters is that apparently they send accompanying details with successful and alternate applicants so their envelopes are thicker than those who did not get onto the programme. It's strange to think we could know (to an extent) how we did before even opening the letters.

Ah, but if we don't have the other envelope to compare with, how would we know if they were thick or not?

Also, do you reckon they would do first class as time is of the essence to get the replies in?

sharpinthefang
April 3rd, 2014, 05:55
I'm jumping the gun here, but i have been looking at the next stage for short-listed and reserve JETS. I have had a CRB completed and arrived within the last month (as im mentoring GCSE students atm). Would JET accept it as it is so recent?

ninja_raj
April 3rd, 2014, 07:29
Tbh, I'm a first time applicant, and haven't a clue about the CRB check! Sorry. However, I would just call the Embassy and ask, they seem really nice there!

ninja_raj
April 3rd, 2014, 07:31
If the letter I receive is too thin, I won't want to open it!

Good luck everyone!

webstaa
April 3rd, 2014, 08:31
They're all thin - until you get your actual placement. OPEN 'er UP!

yingyangryder
April 3rd, 2014, 12:22
About the CRB, if my memory serves me right you need a different type of background check, I think you need something called the ICPC. However you cannot request one of those UNTIL you have your shortlisted letter to hand. So unfortunately, you won`t be able to get your CRB done until you have your shortlist/alternate letter. Having said that, I could be wrong as I don`t fully remember, but I do remember having to send off my shortlisted letter with the request for the ICPC.

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 02:32
I just got an email from JET saying they've sent my letter but missed out one of the documents which they've now sent separately. How many documents normally are there?!

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 02:35
I just got an email from JET saying they've sent my letter but missed out one of the documents which they've now sent separately. How many documents normally are there?!

I also just received this. Did everyone?

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 02:39
The optimist in me thinks that multiple pages = possible alternate/shortlist notification... really hope we get the letters tomorrow. That email just destroyed what was left of my nerves haha.

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 02:41
The optimist in me thinks that multiple pages = possible alternate/shortlist notification... really hope we get the letters tomorrow. That email just destroyed what was left of my nerves haha.

haha same here. Presumably a rejection would be on a single sheet? Here's hoping. Good luck!

Tzvi
April 4th, 2014, 02:52

That makes me worried I haven't had the same email! Probably nothing to forget in a one sheet rejection :(

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 02:55
That makes me worried I haven't had the same email! Probably nothing to forget in a one sheet rejection :(

I wouldn't read anything into it. They may have just messed up with a few candidates

Ocaoca
April 4th, 2014, 02:55
I recieved this email as well. Nearly died.

Mimi
April 4th, 2014, 02:57
No email here either. Oh dear. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 02:59

Haha sorry I didn't mean to worry anyone! I doubt they've made the mistake for everyone, it's probably just some small processing error. I am trying not to read too much into it because there's nothing I can do anyway!

Jamie Solo
April 4th, 2014, 03:00

No email for me either. But the optimist in me is thinking that presumably multiple people have been doing these letters, so it could have just been a certain batch... hopefully >.>

Tzvi
April 4th, 2014, 03:03
No email for me either. But the optimist in me is thinking that presumably multiple people have been doing these letters, so it could have just been a certain batch... hopefully >.>

Can't you people just leave me to wallow in paranoia and self pity! I'm sure you are right they probably would have sent out the notifications in batches, fingers crossed for all of us anyway.

Jamie Solo
April 4th, 2014, 03:04
Can't you people just leave me to wallow in paranoia and self pity! I'm sure you are right they probably would have sent out the notifications in batches, fingers crossed for all of us anyway.

Haha! I am too, but by typing something like that out, I'm trying to make myself feel better too! :P

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 03:44
I got that email too. WHAT does it mean, oh my lord... I was thinking multiple letters doesn't mean rejection but then I had this horrible thought that they sent an empty envelope.

Hahahaha, here's hoping that's not what it is.. I would definitely cry.

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 03:48
I got that email too. WHAT does it mean, oh my lord... I was thinking multiple letters doesn't mean rejection but then I had this horrible thought that they sent an empty envelope.

Hahahaha, here's hoping that's not what it is.. I would definitely cry.

oh maaaynn, imagine getting an empty envelope

buh
April 4th, 2014, 03:53
I didn't get an emaaaaailllllll
ouuuughhhhh god
this is too much
i wonder if we'll find out tomorrow then, if they sent them today

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 03:59
I should've just avoided ITIL completely from the end of March, ignorance would have definitely been bliss!! But probably the temptation to see if anyone had heard anything yet would've been way too much to resist.

Jamie Solo
April 4th, 2014, 04:07
Out of curiosity, Nell, Ocaoca and the others who had an email - what's the first letter of your last name? Just wondering if they did the letters alphabetically... :P

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 04:14
Out of curiosity, Nell, Ocaoca and the others who had an email - what's the first letter of your last name? Just wondering if they did the letters alphabetically... :P

M

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 04:25

F, so it might not necessarily be related to that. Who knoooooows... ヾ(´・ ・`。)ノ”

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 04:35
My surname starts with M but I have a friend with a surname starting with T who also got it...

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 04:40
Great, so another day of attacking the postman as soon as he arrives....

Mimi
April 4th, 2014, 04:42
They could feasibly have been grouped according to region? I'm in Scotland and Jamie Solo is in Wales, while many of those who got the email seem to be in London / England (based on a cursory stalking of profiles). Who knows, though? I can't say I was expecting that much anyway after thinking back through my interview a bunch of times, so if it's a rejection, I'll live. :'D

Jamie Solo
April 4th, 2014, 04:58
Seems plausible Mimi. Nell ruined my theory be being the odd one out :P

Sunshine_Anomie
April 4th, 2014, 05:00
Thank you for phoning, it put my mind at ease. But I wish I stopped reading at that; I didn't get an email.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 05:11
Im Plymouth based and didn't receive the email about missing documents. What region are you others in?

TomOmnomnom
April 4th, 2014, 05:22
I'm in Wales, first letter of my surname is 'J'... and I didn't receive an email.

Good Lord, this is stressful.

EDIT: Scratch that: it was in my junk folder. CHECK YOUR JUNK FOLDER, PEOPLE!

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 05:24
I don't think the people who didn't get an email need to lose hope! No one knows what the email means right now.. the one thing we do know is that they're going to send letters soon!

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 05:26
Checked my junk, nothing in there. I know one person from the West Midlands did get an email, so that maybe that idea gone....
Oh god, i hope its tomorrow, i can't concentrate on my Diss!

TomOmnomnom
April 4th, 2014, 05:37
Haha, fingers crossed for tomorrow! I'm just hoping I don't receive an empty envelope...

Good luck to everyone!

Ocaoca
April 4th, 2014, 05:41
W. West Mids.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 05:45
W. West Mids.
Are you Martin on the fb group that i was just talking to? Im Kathryn.

**Edit, sorry i just noticed the W would be your surname...

That means it might be a regional thing*

Ocaoca
April 4th, 2014, 05:55
Haha. I'm a girl, so nope. I'm also not in the FB group. Figured it would be too tough on my sanity.

Sunshine_Anomie
April 4th, 2014, 06:11
I didn't receive an email and my perm address is Newcastle but my temp one is Canterbury, Kent so I don't know what will be chosen. Also my name is H

Ocaoca
April 4th, 2014, 06:13
I wouldn't read into it. They'll have more than one person putting everything together and it sounds to me like one pile was ready to send while the other wasn't. It could be arranged by anything, candidate numbers, interview days, points on application or any random selection of ways. I would just hold hope until you get your letter.

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 06:14
I too recieved an email... and believed it was a positive thing. However, the more I think about it and the more people admit to getting an email, makes me wonder that the high volume of email recipients may mean that we could be alternates.

Although, if it is a unsuccessful letter, why would they need to send more than one document if it is a no?

It could just be a mishap through the fault of the embassy... who knows! We're getting answers soon, thats the main thing I guess!

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 06:15
Very true Ocaoca! (Try to) Maintain positivity guys!

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 06:20
My grammar is atrocious.

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 08:33
First time post after having been a reader throughout my application process.

I received the e-mail as well and it can probably be taken as meaning a thousand and one things. My gut instinct would be that it could be an acceptance/alternate letter due to missing a page out of a stack (if the rejection letter is a page or two the error would have been harder to make) but it's probably best not to let your imagination run away with things and get your hopes up.

Likewise, there's probably no rhyme or reason for who has the missing page, what their name is or where they live. Will be interesting to check back tomorrow to see if there is, and the e-mail recipients did or didn't get in. I'll obviously be hoping we did.

It might seem like the pool of people here receiving the missing page e-mail is quite high and therefore the stats wouldn't add up to us all being shortlisted/alternates based on acceptance rates. I would say that the people who post here don't exactly add up to being a random sample of applications, so potentially our results would be quite similar and not as diverse as that random sample would be. If that makes sense. Counting back over the thread and, after a rough count, I think only five of us are missing e-mailers - it's not that high a number.

Yes, I know I just told you all not to over-think it, and now I have gone and done overthunk it too.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow or Saturday, as it's a-coming soon.

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 10:03
Thanks rancidbadger! You're right, there's so many possibilities. I think the waiting is making us go a little crazy! But we will have answers soon! Let's not all attack the posties at once tomorrow/Saturday! Good luck!

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 10:08
Im missing the pokemon event at my local GAME and with my uni society as im going to attack/kill the postman tomorrow as they don't have a standard time to turn up....

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 10:19
Haha! I'm starting to dread it a little....

Ocaoca
April 4th, 2014, 15:45
Let's hope these letters arrive today...

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 17:36
I don't know how I'll cope if they don't come today, after email-gate. I already had a troubled night's sleep

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 17:49
I don't know how I'll cope if they don't come today, after email-gate. I already had a troubled night's sleep

Yeah same, the noises coming from my housemate's room didn't help either.

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 18:11
Hey guys... I got my letter.... I've been shortlisted!

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 18:19
I just got my letter - shortlisted as well!

I was a missing e-mailer (I think ninja_raj was one too?), so wonder if it means good news for the others.

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 18:23
Congratulations!!!! :) :)

ninja_raj
April 4th, 2014, 18:29
I was! Fingers crossed for the rest of you guys!

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 18:35
Congratulations guys!!!

Mimi
April 4th, 2014, 18:49
Still waiting on the mail here in Scotland. Really hope it gets here today. Many congratulations to those who already got their acceptance letters! I'm not about to jump to the conclusion that because I didn't get an email either I must have been shortlisted, but it's certainly nice to know for sure that not getting one doesn't necessarily mean that I've been rejected.

EDIT: Oh, rereading the thread, apparently the two people who were accepted so far did get the email. Oh well. Back to worrying! ;D

Haha, I was already thinking of it as "email-gate" in my head as well. And ditto. Not exactly the best of sleeps last night, to put it lightly.

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 18:53
I think the fact myself and Ninja are two people who both got the missing page e-mail and now both are short-listed seems to suggest that if you got that e-mail you haven't been rejected outright (though you may be an alternate). There were quite a few sheets in my letter pack.

Though just because you haven't got the e-mail doesn't mean you weren't short-listed it could be one person's error rather than the whole batch.

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 18:53
I'M SHORTLISTED!!!! Can't actually believe it... I was sure I'd either be an alternate or rejected. For anyone that hasn't got a letter yet, I rang my parents and the letter had been delivered there so if you've got a temporary and permanent address try contacting someone at the other one?

Jamie Solo
April 4th, 2014, 18:54
Postman has been and gone with no letter for me. So another 22 hour wait... =/

But congrats to those that are shortlisted! =)

Mimi
April 4th, 2014, 19:04
I think the fact myself and Ninja are two people who both got the missing page e-mail and now both are short-listed seems to suggest that if you got that e-mail you haven't been rejected outright (though you may be an alternate). There were quite a few sheets in my letter pack.

Though just because you haven't got the e-mail doesn't mean you weren't short-listed it could be one person's error rather than the whole batch.

Yeah, I misinterpreted "missing e-mailer" as meaning people who didn't get the email. Oops. Will be keeping my fingers crossed, anyway. Just hope it comes today! The thought of another 20+ hours of this is not one that I relish.

Well done, anyway! :D

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 19:28
I'M SHORTLISTED!!!! Can't actually believe it... I was sure I'd either be an alternate or rejected. For anyone that hasn't got a letter yet, I rang my parents and the letter had been delivered there so if you've got a temporary and permanent address try contacting someone at the other one?

Argh, why wouldn't they send it to both?! I want to open it in person not have my mum do it over the phone. Though I think if she does have it I'm getting on the first train home hahahaha.

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 19:38
Argh, why wouldn't they send it to both?! I want to open it in person not have my mum do it over the phone. Though I think if she does have it I'm getting on the first train home hahahaha.

I think as long as you list both addresses then you get a letter sent to each, but I think post takes longer depending where you live. I got my mum to open mine over the phone, thank god she gave me the result straight-up rather than be like "I'm really sorry... lol just kidding."

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 20:45
Obviously hard to answer but has anyone received any rejection letters today? They might only be sending out letters to successful candidates...

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 20:53
Only three or four people seem to have received replies, and all were short-listed.

Seems weird that we have so few letters back (you would think more would he delivered today) and no alternates or rejections.

Saying that, my letter came through as I was literally walking out the door to work, so many people may not be home now.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 20:56
They have changed uk postal times to around midday, as RM didn't want to pay un-savoury hours for early morning deliveries, so most people won't know till the y get in from work.

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 21:17
Only three or four people seem to have received replies, and all were short-listed.

Seems weird that we have so few letters back (you would think more would he delivered today) and no alternates or rejections.

Saying that, my letter came through as I was literally walking out the door to work, so many people may not be home now.

Yeah I am thinking they will of prioritised successful candidates. Damn third use of the postal service... What's wrong with emails

buh
April 4th, 2014, 21:23
Postie's been and gone :( nowt. Has anyone else oop north received anything?

katiekookaburra
April 4th, 2014, 21:33
The postman has just walked straight past my house. Curses. All those hours spent staring out the window for nothing.

Question: Did the applicant data get sent to the London embassy or Edinburgh consulate depending on where you interviewed? Has anyone that interviewed in Edinburgh heard anything?

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 21:39
I am up in the North East and I obviously have mine. I interviewed in London.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 21:51
Im in Plymouth and Wiltshire, and neither house has received any post today so far... which i refuse to believe.

**Edit, Wiltshire has just had their post and nothing for me... Just waiting on the Plymouth postman now

TomOmnomnom
April 4th, 2014, 22:00
Received my letter through the post today (I'm in Wales) and got shortlisted! and I'm a bit of a mess- can't quite believe it. I was certain I'd bombed the interview and grammar test...

Congrats to everyone else who made it! -and 'hang in there' to those who are still waiting on replies.

Illuria
April 4th, 2014, 22:14
Had the post here in Gloucestershire and nothing. Don't have the number of anyone in my flat to check my Birmingham address either. No e-mail. You lot make me so nervous!

EDIT: For those who've been shortlisted, could you please say if you received the e-mail or not? Just one shortlisted who didn't have the e-mail would calm me down.

katiekookaburra
April 4th, 2014, 22:24
It's looking like ONLY the people that had an email yesterday will get any news today. Most likely they had a pile of short-listers with a document missing and someone mistakenly sent them out thinking they were ready.

But NEVER FEAR! This probably means, if you haven't had news already, that they realised their mistake and are waiting for the extra document to be available and photocopied before they send the rest of the replies out.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 22:25
Please don't say that. I really REALLY cannot handle another day of waiting. Its driving me mad and i can't concentrate on anything else.

mondilshan
April 4th, 2014, 22:27
It's looking like ONLY the people that had an email yesterday will get any news today. Most likely they had a pile of short-listers with a document missing and someone mistakenly sent them out thinking they were ready.

But NEVER FEAR! This probably means, if you haven't had news already, that they realised their mistake and are waiting for the extra document to be available and photocopied before they send the rest of the replies out.

very true.

It looks like the missing document was the Health Certificate that is sent to shortlisted and alternates. I just received an e-mail with an electronic copy if it.....ANNNND post still hasn't arrived. So I'm in a weird limbo.

Well done to those who were accepted !!

Sunshine_Anomie
April 4th, 2014, 22:27
No post for me in Newcastle and I am waiting on Canterbury's postman (going to attack him)

Illuria
April 4th, 2014, 22:31
very true.

It looks like the missing document was the Health Certificate that is sent to shortlisted and alternates. I just received an e-mail with an electronic copy if it.....ANNNND post still hasn't arrived. So I'm in a weird limbo.

Well done to those who were accepted !!

I'd take that as very very good news personally. Why would they send you your Health Certificate if you'd been rejected?

Pluvialis
April 4th, 2014, 22:35
Still waiting for my letter :C

Those who have received them though - you could really help me out! How long do we have to return our health certificates?? I've been sitting on half a plan to go abroad in a couple of weeks but can't if I need to do JET stuff!

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 22:37
Just got off the phone with the jet desk at the embassy - some of one batch of letters were missing the health certificate or whatever however there were some in that batch that have the document and subsequent batches should have all documents, the final batch being posted today. So others with no emails remain hopeful.

So an email isn't needed to get the job, sorry if that wasn't clear

Moso
April 4th, 2014, 22:39
:)

katiekookaburra
April 4th, 2014, 22:39
I'd take that as very very good news personally. Why would they send you your Health Certificate if you'd been rejected?

Agreed. There's hope yet.

katiekookaburra
April 4th, 2014, 22:42
Just got off the phone with the jet desk at the embassy - some of one batch of letters were missing the health certificate or whatever however there were some in that batch that have the document and subsequent batches should have all documents, the final batch being posted today. So others with no emails remain hopeful.

YEY! GLASS HALF FULL PEOPLE!

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 22:42
Oh god, last batch went out today? Can grantee that mine is in that lot. I can't wait till Monday!

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 22:45
Yeah last batch today, i get the impression they are swamped with calls and have had a nightmare posting everything, two for each applicant. Now if I could go into a coma till post arrives I'll be happy.

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 22:47
TomOmOm was short listed and I don't think he received the e-mail?

Surely the fact no e-mailers have been rejected coupled with the Desk's reply means that those who got the missing page e-mail are alternates or short-listed?

EDIT -Ah, it turns out he did receive one. So that is three for three. Seems a pretty strong indication now. Also seems that the missing page batch were sent together.

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 22:48
Oh yeah, if you have an email you are shortlisted or alternate I expect. But people without emails needn't lose hope.

Illuria
April 4th, 2014, 22:55

Thanks very much for doing that, very helpful. So I guess it's tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday. Those who've got their letters, what was the stamp? (1st or 2nd class)

RancidBadger
April 4th, 2014, 22:56
Yeah, I have just read the additional e-mail they have sent with an attached document.

I think people who had the missing page e-mail can start celebrating to a certain degree, as they definitely haven't been rejected outright it seems. Those without the e-mails needn't lose hope -a it is likely the missing page batch were sent first and then the others went out complete later.

EDIT - When I get home, I can look at what stamp they sent with the envelope, and I will write down the deadline dates as well.

I think the first deadline is 30th April, and you fill in the acceptance form and send some photos first. I *think* the medical form has a later deadline, but don't quote me on that yet.

TomOmnomnom
April 4th, 2014, 23:03
I'm putting together the documents for my ICPC, what do we need to supply to satisfy the 'copy of your offer of employment/registration with/contract with [JET]' box. Do you think the cover letter we received today would do it?

geo247
April 4th, 2014, 23:22
The estimate from the person I called at the jet desk was Wednesday at the latest for letters to arrive.

Nell
April 4th, 2014, 23:28
I still haven't had the letter at my uni address, even though I got it at home... I feel like I need to see the letter for myself otherwise it doesn't seem real D:

Akai
April 5th, 2014, 00:26
Yo! Been lurking for a while and now I feel like that I have to manifest myself somehow.

I dont usually tend to stress or worry over stuff but that thread really got me going! I really wish I stayed away from here until next week. Today is being a pain--> cant focus on work....Bloody "mail gate"!:103:

For reference, I have applied through good old Edinburgh.

Anihoo, please do meet you all and good luck for the coming days.

Ocaoca
April 5th, 2014, 00:48
Shortlisted!

geo247
April 5th, 2014, 00:54
Tbh now I don't care if I get the job I just want some form of response before the suspense kills me! Really hope I don't get a reserve place, like how likely is it that reserves will get called up and asked to go to Japan??

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 01:22
Another missing page e-mailer.

I think it means we are an elite group. Super JETS. The best of the best. I am 100% certain this is the case and we will get increased pay.

ninja_raj
April 5th, 2014, 01:51
Haha agreed!

ninja_raj
April 5th, 2014, 01:58
The letter is franked, not stamped. This means it's been run through a machine and doesn't specify first or second class, however it has a date of the 3rd, which means it was posted then! Having worked in a post office before, papers can sometimes be missed out when letters are run through the franking machine.

Congratulations everyone so far, you're my new buddies! I wish there was a way we could keep in touch on the run up to orientation!

*edit: sorry I meant RM received it on the 3rd!

lightpop
April 5th, 2014, 02:17
Just to add a bit more info -

My boyfriend and I both got the "missing page" email and were interviewed at Edinburgh and we've both been shortlisted!
However our letters haven't arrived at our Edinburgh address yet, his went to Aberdeen and mine to Middlesbrough.

Congrats to everyone who has been shortlisted so far! Everyone else - don't lose hope just yet!!

katiekookaburra
April 5th, 2014, 02:34
Just to add a bit more info -

My boyfriend and I both got the "missing page" email and were interviewed at Edinburgh and we've both been shortlisted!
However our letters haven't arrived at our Edinburgh address yet, his went to Aberdeen and mine to Middlesbrough.

Congrats to everyone who has been shortlisted so far! Everyone else - don't lose hope just yet!!

Okay, officially losing hope. Did ANYONE receive a rejection or alternate letter today?

There's a voice in the back of my head saying that they put all the short-listed in a big pile and sent them all out at once. Priority for the chosen ones.

katiekookaburra
April 5th, 2014, 02:36
Also, well done for both you and your boyfriend. What would've happened if one of you didn't get the job?

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 02:42
Just because all short-listers so far had the missing page e-mail does not mean that those without it have been rejected

I think it is more likely to mean that people with the missing page e-mail who haven't heard are *probably* in (or alternate at the least), rather than those without it are rejected. We have had no rejections or alternates so far as well, which suggests that this first batch are short-listers too. For those worrying, this is the first day we've had replies! And only about six or seven. It's likely a deluge will arrive tomorrow and Monday, as there were tonnes of applicants (about thirty interviews a day, judging by the sign in sheet at the London Embassy).

Another ALT from the North-East too. I thought I'd be the only one with an awkward accent and bemused Japanese children wondering what a parmo is.

buh
April 5th, 2014, 02:43
same, katiekookaburra. this is very depressing... i've been positive up til email-gate but it's gotten worse from there D:

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 02:46
same, katiekookaburra. this is very depressing... i've been positive up til email-gate but it's gotten worse from there D:

Just because every short-lister so far is a missing e-mailer does not mean that every short-lister MUST be someone who has the missing page e-mail. It's more likely just a sign that if you got the e-mail, you're in, rather than if you didn't get it, you're out.

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 02:51
Christ this is killing me. I knew my interview didn't go brilliantly but I was still holding out hope. Now I'm just desperate to be put out of my misery.

lightpop
April 5th, 2014, 03:14
Also, well done for both you and your boyfriend. What would've happened if one of you didn't get the job?

Thank you! Haha they asked us both that at interview! We've lived in different countries before and it took us 14 hours travelling to see each other, so we weren't too worried. JET seems like too good an opportunity to pass up so we'd have just worked it out. :)

lightpop
April 5th, 2014, 03:17
Just because all short-listers so far had the missing page e-mail does not mean that those without it have been rejected

I think it is more likely to mean that people with the missing page e-mail who haven't heard are *probably* in (or alternate at the least), rather than those without it are rejected. We have had no rejections or alternates so far as well, which suggests that this first batch are short-listers too. For those worrying, this is the first day we've had replies! And only about six or seven. It's likely a deluge will arrive tomorrow and Monday, as there were tonnes of applicants (about thirty interviews a day, judging by the sign in sheet at the London Embassy).

Another ALT from the North-East too. I thought I'd be the only one with an awkward accent and bemused Japanese children wondering what a parmo is.

Yeah I'm going to have to practise speaking clearly... Definitely teaching them all about our northern delicacies though!

Sunshine_Anomie
April 5th, 2014, 03:36
I haven't heard back yet but I am also from the North (just outside of Newcastle) and my accent has actually helped with learning Japanese, some of the pronunciations are the same, hahaha. Also I highly amused my ex-boyfriend on how I say "I know" because it sounded just like あの

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 04:09
I'm starting to get worried about why I didn't get a letter today... Agh. Really hope it comes tomorrow.

Sunshine_Anomie
April 5th, 2014, 04:17
I'm starting to get worried about why I didn't get a letter today... Agh. Really hope it comes tomorrow.

I am just going around telling everyone I didn't get in because I didn't get an email or a letter today.

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 04:25
I am just going around telling everyone I didn't get in because I didn't get an email or a letter today.
I got an email but no letter.. Is anyone else in this situation? All the other missing emailers I know already had their short list letter (and they also live up north)

Jamie Solo
April 5th, 2014, 04:49
It all depends on your sorting office etc. Moso. At least you have the email as a good sign. Me on the other hand... >.>

Oli0
April 5th, 2014, 05:06
I'm kind of giving up all hope as I didn't receive any e-mail and I'm abroad on holiday. But good luck to everyone!

Sunshine_Anomie
April 5th, 2014, 05:10
I am glad that all the pessimistic people are coming out now, makes me feel less alone

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 06:02
It is only the first day of UK replies, and the Embassy said there would be replies until Wednesday. That is one day out of four down.

We have received, what, about six positive replies and nothing else? There will be more to come. Now is not the time for pessimism.

sharpinthefang
April 5th, 2014, 06:03
Not just pessimism, but madness too. Already pissed every one of my friends and house mates with my continuous waiting by the door, refusing to go out and mentioning it every 5 mins...

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 06:19
It is only the first day of UK replies, and the Embassy said there would be replies until Wednesday. That is one day out of four down.

We have received, what, about six positive replies and nothing else? There will be more to come. Now is not the time for pessimism.

It's always the time for pessimism, embrace the dark side. That is a fair point though but it won't help a lot of us who are twiddling our thumbs and waiting to see if their post office decided to start a new 10:30 pm delivery service.

Illuria
April 5th, 2014, 06:21

One of five. Saturday is a mail day too.

Mimi
April 5th, 2014, 06:33

You are a beautiful, beautiful person, and you have brought me the gift of sleep, which at this precise moment in time is far, far more important to me than any acceptance letter. Now excuse me while I stop checking this thread until I get my letter for fear of there being another mail-gate. :'D

Sunshine_Anomie
April 5th, 2014, 06:34
I hope it comes tomorrow because there is no post on Sunday (feeling like Uncle Vernon)

Illuria
April 5th, 2014, 06:43
I hope it comes tomorrow because there is no post on Sunday (feeling like Uncle Vernon)

I'm heading out tomorrow fairly early so I'll be worrying about it until I get back. Might just give my Mum instructions to call me if there's a letter for me.

Sunshine_Anomie
April 5th, 2014, 06:44
I'm heading out tomorrow fairly early so I'll be worrying about it until I get back. Might just give my Mum instructions to call me if there's a letter for me.

I have a rowing race tomorrow and will be back late, so much pressure!

Illuria
April 5th, 2014, 06:48
I have a rowing race tomorrow and will be back late, so much pressure!

High-five for outdoor activities. I'm going mountain biking in the Forest of Dean. Good luck for your race!

sharpinthefang
April 5th, 2014, 06:53
High-five for outdoor activities. I'm going mountain biking in the Forest of Dean. Good luck for your race!
Im forcing my self to go out and go to Asda (which i have been putting off for a week) and the various banks to try to find a credit card that my boyfriend can use on his round the world tour starting in August. Any suggestions?

ninja_raj
April 5th, 2014, 07:07
STA Cash card. It's brill, and have used it in Bali and USA!

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 08:31
A friend has recommended to me the Caxton fx card for a upcoming trip to the States:

https://www.caxtonfx.com/

Seems like it is useful for all over the world? It could even be useful for the first few weeks in Japan as well, I guess.

sharpinthefang
April 5th, 2014, 08:52
A friend has recommended to me the Caxton fx card for a upcoming trip to the States:

https://www.caxtonfx.com/

Seems like it is useful for all over the world? It could even be useful for the first few weeks in Japan as well, I guess.

Doing a bit of midnight research, the Halifax Clarity card seams to be pretty good if anyone wants to check it out/or know's how good it is

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 18:58
Reserve and I didn't get the email. Don't lose hope people.

iphica
April 5th, 2014, 19:01
Received my letter this morning - Alternate! :)

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 19:11
Still don't have my letter... -_-

Jamie Solo
April 5th, 2014, 19:11
Still no letter for me. Have to wait until Monday now =(

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 19:18
Received my letter this morning - Alternate! :)

Congrats we're both middle of the road!

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 19:32
Shortlisted for CIR. Omggggggg

RancidBadger
April 5th, 2014, 19:50
Shortlisted for CIR. Omggggggg

Congratulations. You got the earlier e-mail as well didn't you?

Has anyone who got the e-mail not bern short-listed? Weird that we only have Alternate replies today compared to short-listers yesterday. I would have thought we'd see more results coming through today too.

Mimi
April 5th, 2014, 20:34
Reserve for CIR. This feels at once better and worse than rejection. On one hand, my interview went rather badly and I still have a chance of getting in, which is pretty awesome. On the other, oh gawd, it's back to the waiting game for another two or three months.

Pluvialis
April 5th, 2014, 20:46
Reserve for CIR. This feels at once better and worse than rejection. On one hand, my interview went rather badly and I still have a chance of getting in, which is pretty awesome. On the other, oh gawd, it's back to the waiting game for another two or three months.

What went wrong in your interview?

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 20:48
Congratulations. You got the earlier e-mail as well didn't you?

Has anyone who got the e-mail not bern short-listed? Weird that we only have Alternate replies today compared to short-listers yesterday. I would have thought we'd see more results coming through today too.

Yes, I got the email! Seems like the email was a Good Thing.

Moso
April 5th, 2014, 20:49

Ahh, you never know! People may drop out and I can't imagine there are exactly that many other reserves for CIR :)

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 21:08

I know exactly how you feel. In some ways this waiting period will be worse as it will depend on what other people do not us, we have even less control this time. Still at least being on the reserve list does mean they want us in that situation so I'm taking encouragement from that fact.

Jamie Solo
April 5th, 2014, 21:27
Meanwhile, I be like...

And not in the good way... ;P

buh
April 5th, 2014, 21:40
I'M AN ALTERNATE!!!!! So happy I wasn't rejected... right now I'm just happy to still be in with a chance!

Ezikio
April 5th, 2014, 21:52

Another CIR reserve here. Looks like we're up against each other. :p

sharpinthefang
April 5th, 2014, 22:21
Meanwhile, I be like...

And not in the good way... ;P

I said it yesterday, and i will say it again. I hate Royal Mail. The only thing i got through the post today was Dominos leaflets. And i HATE Dominos!

Mimi
April 5th, 2014, 22:59
What went wrong in your interview?

I thought it went really well at first because I spoke Japanese to more or less the best of my ability without any real nerves, which is more than can be said for many of the times I've been asked to speak the language in formal situations since leaving the country and watching my proficiency gradually degrade. As time passed, though, I thought about... like... what I actually said in my answers. As in the content, and not just the level of language proficiency I displayed. And some of my answers were not exactly what I'd call great.

I think the biggest problem was that I just generally came off as someone who was like, "I want to go and live in Japan again, preferably with a job that allows me to use my Japanese, and this is probably the best of the available options that I can apply for from here in the UK. Also... like... cultural exchange and stuff, I guess?", rather than someone who was really passionate about the actual content of the job itself. Which is completely accurate to my actual feelings, of course. It's a job that I think I can do and be pretty good at more than it is one that I'm amazingly passionate about, and my major motivation in applying was simply the chance to go back to Japan and a Japanese language environment. I just should have done a better job of hiding that. :P

Ahh, you never know! People may drop out and I can't imagine there are exactly that many other reserves for CIR :)

Yeah, I figured the same. Not going to get my hopes up too much, of course, but I'll turn in the forms they sent me, apply for a few other things, and see what happens. It's not a definite thing, but it's still nice to have another potential opportunity still on the table.

Congratulations, by the way! :D

I know exactly how you feel. In some ways this waiting period will be worse as it will depend on what other people do not us, we have even less control this time. Still at least being on the reserve list does mean they want us in that situation so I'm taking encouragement from that fact.

Pretty much that. There's nothing to do but sit tight and hope that someone drops out, which is a little discouraging. Still, like you say, if there had been nothing worthwhile in our interviews whatsoever we wouldn't be reserves, so that's encouraging in itself. ^^ Best of luck, anyway! Do keep us posted~!

Another CIR reserve here. Looks like we're up against each other. :p

Haha, I guess so. ;D Good luck! I hope we both make it.

Tzvi
April 5th, 2014, 23:53
Some interesting points there Mimi. I think in my case (ALT applicant) the interest I had in Japan and international relations/cultural exchange came through but I never came across as someone who really wanted to work as a teaching assistant (even though I would like to), for me it was about living in Japan and getting that foreign experience as well.

Akai
April 5th, 2014, 23:59
Man, this is murder! Does anybody know if there has been any rejection letter sent in the UK. Felling kind of nervous that there was only shorlister announced yesterday and alternates today.

My girlfriend is an alternate, she is an Irish applicant and received the letter on Wednesday.

Sunshine_Anomie
April 6th, 2014, 00:00
I knew Uncle Vernon would pop up. Still no letter in Kent but maybe Newcastle (haven't checked). Congratulations everyone!

Sunshine_Anomie
April 6th, 2014, 00:12
Man, this is murder! Does anybody know if there has been any rejection letter sent in the UK. Felling kind of nervous that there was only shorlister announced yesterday and alternates today.

My girlfriend is an alternate, she is an Irish applicant and received the letter on Wednesday.

I wouldn't make that presumption because they have sent the rest off on the same day and announced it is all the responses.

Illuria
April 6th, 2014, 01:04
I got alternate. Back to waiting I guess. This is going to kill me -_- On the one hand, I'm pleased I didn't get rejected, on the other hand I'm disappointed that I don't have any sort of closure to the thing.

sharpinthefang
April 6th, 2014, 01:28
I got alternate. Back to waiting I guess. This is going to kill me -_- On the one hand, I'm pleased I didn't get rejected, on the other hand I'm disappointed that I don't have any sort of closure to the thing.
Im an alternate as well, feeling odd about it...

buh
April 6th, 2014, 01:30
Good luck to everyone waiting, I hope you all at least get alternate. Anyone with the patience to go through this deserves that!

AltDimension
April 6th, 2014, 02:08
Alternate here.

I'm not too shocked by the result but I'm still pretty bummed out about it.

katiekookaburra
April 6th, 2014, 04:45
Alternate here too.

What would happen hypothetically if I turned down my alternate post? Would it effect my chances if I chose to apply again in the future?

RancidBadger
April 6th, 2014, 04:56
Alternate here too.

What would happen hypothetically if I turned down my alternate post? Would it effect my chances if I chose to apply again in the future?

I don't think so. If a short-lister turns it down before they send in the reply form, they can reapply. I think as long as you do so before the point where you can be placed within an organisation, you should be okay?

katiekookaburra
April 6th, 2014, 07:49
I don't think so. If a short-lister turns it down before they send in the reply form, they can reapply. I think as long as you do so before the point where you can be placed within an organisation, you should be okay?

Thanks, I think I might just do that. I have another job on hold for teaching English in Sweden and I'm so damn tired of the waiting and uncertainty.

Good luck to all you other alternates!

RancidBadger
April 6th, 2014, 08:15
I also think they will, in general, be more understanding for Alternates who turn it down than Short-Listers, as there is the obvious uncertainty involved.

For the UK, they do say that it is unlikely you will be upgraded past June.

MilkBottle
April 6th, 2014, 22:52
Alternate here too, letter arrived at my permanent address before my other address so I don't have the letter yet but my mum opened it for me yesterday and told me what it said.
I hate this waiting, it's horrible!

Also, I didn't get an email about missing papers so it probably was a batch error.

Ocaoca
April 7th, 2014, 00:50
Alternates and Shortlisters, has anyone started estimating how much they're going to have to save yet? How much money are people thinking of taking with them?

Shiro_Kuma
April 7th, 2014, 00:53
Got my letter today... And I'm an Alternate myself. In a way I was expecting this as my interview went a bit sideways and it was crazy late.

Luckily I have the day off tomorrow so off to send the paperwork

Tzvi
April 7th, 2014, 01:07
Alternates and Shortlisters, has anyone started estimating how much they're going to have to save yet? How much money are people thinking of taking with them?

From what I have read it seems to depend on where you are placed (how much rent, key money needed etc.), I think I heard a rough estimate of around £1000-1500 to get started but take that with a pinch of salt. I'm quite lucky in that I had a really well paying job for a year and saved most of it, but then I may still not get a placement so it could be for naught.

Moso
April 7th, 2014, 01:14
I'm personally thinking about taking £2000, don't know what the recommended amount is though or anything! I'm guessing we won't get paid for a while after we arrive. How much were you thinking of taking?

Also, what banks are you guys with? I'm with HSBC and last time I was in japan (studying there for a year) I thought they were really good in terms of using your card internationally. For example, if you buy something in a shop or a restaurant using your debit card you don't get any charge and a great exchange rate! If you withdraw from an ATM there is a small charge, but you also get a good exchange rate.

I think, at least, it's worth looking into what charges your bank puts on international transactions because it can make a lot of difference.

sharpinthefang
April 7th, 2014, 01:19
I have also applied with Interac (my interview is on friday) and they have sent me a whole lot of documentations about living/start up costs and pay etc. I have attached the financial information that they sent me, and i have also attached a useful general health one as well. If anyone needs anything else i can look through what they have sent me.

sharpinthefang
April 7th, 2014, 01:24
Also, what banks are you guys with? I'm with HSBC and last time I was in japan (studying there for a year) I thought they were really good in terms of using your card internationally. For example, if you buy something in a shop or a restaurant using your debit card you don't get any charge and a great exchange rate! If you withdraw from an ATM there is a small charge, but you also get a good exchange rate.

I think, at least, it's worth looking into what charges your bank puts on international transactions because it can make a lot of difference.

I spoke to HSBC the other day thinking about setting up an account for both. They rung me through to the central office (as the guys in store had no idea) and i was told that HSBC have stopped doing this as they have stopped trading with Japan on the small scales. I have looked into Halifax and they do a 'clarity creditcard' which has no foreign exchange fee anywhere in the world and there's no fee for cash withdrawals, though you'll be charged interest at a fairly low 12.9% representative APR, even if repaid in full. This works out at around £1/month per £100 withdrawn. (Sourced from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)

Moso
April 7th, 2014, 01:31
I spoke to HSBC the other day thinking about setting up an account for both. They rung me through to the central office (as the guys in store had no idea) and i was told that HSBC have stopped doing this as they have stopped trading with Japan on the small scales. I have looked into Halifax and they do a 'clarity creditcard' which has no foreign exchange fee anywhere in the world and there's no fee for cash withdrawals, though you'll be charged interest at a fairly low 12.9% representative APR, even if repaid in full. This works out at around £1/month per £100 withdrawn. (Sourced from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)
Really?! On the HSBC website there doesn't seem to be any distinction by country?
Using a Card: how to use a Debit or Credit Card | HSBC UK (http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/customer-support/card-services/using-your-card)

Oli0
April 7th, 2014, 01:53
It's not too late to apply for Interac is it?

sharpinthefang
April 7th, 2014, 01:57
It's not too late to apply for Interac is it?
No, they send people out year round, and are generally faster with responses. However, with them you have to pay for your own flights there and back.

Oli0
April 7th, 2014, 02:21
No, they send people out year round, and are generally faster with responses. However, with them you have to pay for your own flights there and back.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I guess I'll be applying for it as I still haven't heard anything from JET... such a pain to chase after references again!

Moso
April 7th, 2014, 02:35
Thanks, that's what I thought. I guess I'll be applying for it as I still haven't heard anything from JET... such a pain to chase after references again!
All you have to do is provide the contact details of your references in the intial application! The interac application process is a lot quicker than JET - I received a reply to my application about 3 hours after sending it in!

yingyangryder
April 7th, 2014, 08:06
Congratulations to all those who got in, for those waiting I wish you luck. Regarding money, I brought just shy of 1000 GBP (can`t find the pound sign on this keyboard), and this was more than enough to last until my first pay day. However I have been to Japan before and so didn`t blow through all my money like some people do. If you think you will go batshit crazy with money, bring more. Should note, I had to pay no key money and the like. Some, albeit rare, JETs have to pay key money. So just keep this in mind. 1000 was enough for me but I recommend between 1500-2000 if you really don`t want to worry.

webstaa
April 7th, 2014, 08:33
It comes down to ESID. Some ALTs (and most CIRs) have to pay key money. If you are getting a car, you'll have to make your insurance payments, baggage delivery fee etc. I brought about ¥120,000, and didn't need all of it (I had no emergencies), but by the end of the first month (because you won't get paid for a month) I was starting to pinch pennies. My advice is to bring ¥200,000, in case of any emergencies. I didn't get my insurance card for about 2 months either, but had no reason to go to the doctor. Prices have also gone up (sales tax went up to 8% from 5%) so things might be a tiny bit more expensive for the new JETs.

Jiggit
April 7th, 2014, 08:38
ESID: Some ALTs get free houses that their BoE owns and don't even pay rent. Or your predecessor might have left your apartment covered in filth and the landlord might lie to your school about having cleaned it before you arrived so you have to move out but still pay key money and the initial deposit and then find a new apartment by yourself and end up paying it all over again for your new place.

Oli0
April 7th, 2014, 19:53
All you have to do is provide the contact details of your references in the intial application! The interac application process is a lot quicker than JET - I received a reply to my application about 3 hours after sending it in!

That's good, I think if I had to go through a job application even half as long and tedious as JET's I would lose the will to live.
Rejection letter came in the post from JET this morning - it's no surprise, but still disappointing as I thought the interview was alright and I had a reasonable chance of at least getting made an alternate.

Swift_and_Bold
April 7th, 2014, 22:48
I thought I'd finally register on here seeing as I've been 'short listed'. Congratulations to all those that have been successful, the best of luck to those on the reserve list, and deepest commiserations to those that have been unsuccessful!

ChristinaKeke
April 7th, 2014, 23:46
Hi everyone, I have also been shortlisted! I was wondering if there was some sort of group to get to know other UK shortlisters like they have for other countries?

Pluvialis
April 8th, 2014, 00:39
Got my rejection letter today. So disappointing. And half-knowing it would be after everyone here got acceptance letters on Friday was a bit crap.

Ocaoca
April 8th, 2014, 01:29
Hi everyone, I have also been shortlisted! I was wondering if there was some sort of group to get to know other UK shortlisters like they have for other countries?

I haven't seen a UK specific Facebook group or anything like that if that's what you mean...

Oli0
April 8th, 2014, 01:48
Got my rejection letter today. So disappointing. And half-knowing it would be after everyone here got acceptance letters on Friday was a bit crap.

Yep, it is indeed a bit crap. Although I think half-knowing it already helped cushion the blow when the inevitable rejection letter flew through my letterbox this morning.
Anyway, got to figure out something else to do next year. Congrats to everyone who made it though!

Jamie Solo
April 8th, 2014, 02:22
Yep, it is indeed a bit crap. Although I think half-knowing it already helped cushion the blow when the inevitable rejection letter flew through my letterbox this morning.
Anyway, got to figure out something else to do next year. Congrats to everyone who made it though!

I'm in the same boat.

But - Interac application was sent this afternoon and am looking at other alternatives!

Congrats to those that made it. Don't enjoy it too much! :P

ninja_raj
April 8th, 2014, 02:48

That's a shame, but chin up! Will you apply again? Or try Interac?

ninja_raj
April 8th, 2014, 02:49
I was thinking the same! Another thread?

Pluvialis
April 8th, 2014, 03:05
That's a shame, but chin up! Will you apply again? Or try Interac?

This was my second time applying, at least I got an interview this time! I'd never heard of Interac before but that's definitely an option I'll look into. I'd previously thought I'd find another way to go this year if I didn't get into JET. But I'm in my final year of teacher training so I might just do my NQT year instead.

The JET application process is so long and hard though :/ I'll probably homestay in Japan for a few weeks, try out my Japanese, and think about what I want to do!

Everyone who made it, enjoy and good luck! Dead jealous!

Akai
April 8th, 2014, 03:22
Didn't get it. Congrats to shortlisters and Alternates.

Tzvi
April 8th, 2014, 04:01
I'm in the same boat.

But - Interac application was sent this afternoon and am looking at other alternatives!

Congrats to those that made it. Don't enjoy it too much! :P

I'm sorry to hear that pal :( I'm sure you'll get there eventually, hell with interac you would probably touch down in Tokyo before we humble alternates even get a phonecall.

ninja_raj
April 8th, 2014, 04:07
This was my second time applying, at least I got an interview this time! I'd never heard of Interac before but that's definitely an option I'll look into. I'd previously thought I'd find another way to go this year if I didn't get into JET. But I'm in my final year of teacher training so I might just do my NQT year instead.

The JET application process is so long and hard though :/ I'll probably homestay in Japan for a few weeks, try out my Japanese, and think about what I want to do!

Everyone who made it, enjoy and good luck! Dead jealous!

Good luck with your future endeavours!

Jamie Solo
April 8th, 2014, 04:15
I'm sorry to hear that pal :( I'm sure you'll get there eventually, hell with interac you would probably touch down in Tokyo before we humble alternates even get a phonecall.

Thanks. And haha! Yeah I'm hoping Interac works out. Managed to salvage a lot of JET stuff so did the application right after my rejection =P

Good luck as an alternate, hopefully someone will bug out for ya' ;)

Reassuring Skeleton
April 8th, 2014, 07:56
I'm afraid that I am another woodwork-comer-outer. Short list for me! Hope to be active.. until I go at least.

What are you other short list type folks planning on doing between now and mid-May?

Also I didn't put a preference for location- am I likely to get chucked into deepest darkest Hokkaido or is there a chance of going somewhere a little more.. involved?

sharpinthefang
April 8th, 2014, 08:01
Thanks. And haha! Yeah I'm hoping Interac works out. Managed to salvage a lot of JET stuff so did the application right after my rejection =P

Good luck as an alternate, hopefully someone will bug out for ya' ;)

Im with you on that one. Good luck trying to get the photos they require printed though...

ninja_raj
April 8th, 2014, 08:55
I'm afraid that I am another woodwork-comer-outer. Short list for me! Hope to be active.. until I go at least.

What are you other short list type folks planning on doing between now and mid-May?

Also I didn't put a preference for location- am I likely to get chucked into deepest darkest Hokkaido or is there a chance of going somewhere a little more.. involved?

Well, I'm planning on temping to make as much fundage as possible, and lesson planning. Trying to sort out omiyage?

In regards to location, I haven't a clue how they place you. I guess if you opt for somewhere in particular, they "try" their hardest to place you there! Otherwise it could be anywhere. I've heard even the Okinawa islands!

RancidBadger
April 8th, 2014, 09:05
I think the try and place you according to your three choices, but it depends on if the organisations themselves have preferences too.

I suppose if the two of you are a match then they pair you up. Though I suppose each area may get over-subscribed too, in which case you will presumably moved to a less-requested prefecture.

In short: who knows.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
April 8th, 2014, 10:10

Hey, there's nothing wrong with deepest darkest Hokkaido! It can be a lovely place to live if you treat it right... and by treat it right, I mean quickly find ways to make your own enjoyment and find a decent way to get around. It's even better if you're from Britain, because you can look around and think about how similar everything is to a sleepy English village, even if you're standing in the middle of a decent sized town. Or how there are forty three old people for every young professional.

On a serious note though, I love it here in Hokkaido - and congratulations on getting in.

webstaa
April 8th, 2014, 15:51
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Reassuring Skeleton http://www.ithinkimlost.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/aspiring-applying/19199-uk-applicants-results-info-2014-a-10.html#post853603)
Also I didn't put a preference for location- am I likely to get chucked into deepest darkest Hokkaido or is there a chance of going somewhere a little more.. involved

It doesn't really matter. Most people put major cities - Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto etc. You have a snowballs chance in hell of getting your placement request - because there isn't a steady supply of openings. AFAIK (I'm no CIR, but I ask silly questions of them often and keep track of my fellow ALTs and friends) there are a lot less openings this year in my area of the prefecture compared to last year - 4 started in my area last year, only 1 didn't re-contract.

You'll likely get your placement, fret over it for a few days and then deal with it. That's what happened when I found I was going to a school very close to the 2011 Tsunami. Completely spaced that its geographically one of the better placement in the entire prefecture - something I couldn't have known until I got here. Although some people do get screwed, they're a very small number.

Ultima
April 8th, 2014, 18:37
Hi guys!

Since we're getting in our results, and I've seen a few asking, shall we get our FB group going?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1410874245847083/

Seems like a faster and more convenient way to share information.

Moso
April 8th, 2014, 19:02
Cool, joined it.

There is also this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/679064202157344/

But it's not UK-specific.

Ultima
April 8th, 2014, 19:30
Cool, joined it.

There is also this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/679064202157344/

But it's not UK-specific.

Aye, seen it. It just makes sense to have a UK group in order to share relevant information before departure.

I'd say it's best to join both, for making friends and general information.

Be-ran
April 8th, 2014, 22:00
Hi Guys,

Got shortlisted too! But I'm from Ireland; mind if I join your facebook group later?

Good luck to all over the alternates, although I don't envy the wait.

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the coming months!

Ultima
April 8th, 2014, 23:27
Of course not! Go for it.

RancidBadger
April 9th, 2014, 03:33
I don't see why not.

You could end up coming out with us on 2nd August if you get an early upgrade, I would imagine?

itsabird
April 9th, 2014, 03:44
I don't see why not.

You could end up coming out with us on 2nd August if you get an early upgrade, I would imagine?

Don't make me overly eager to be upgraded please D; . This wait is already bad enough.

But I like the optimistic views!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

therealwindycity
April 9th, 2014, 09:50
You'll likely get your placement, fret over it for a few days and then deal with it. That's what happened when I found I was going to a school very close to the 2011 Tsunami. Completely spaced that its geographically one of the better placement in the entire prefecture - something I couldn't have known until I got here.

This is really true. It's hard to know how good your placement will be until you talk to your predecessor. I got sent to a pretty inaka place, but there are a few factors (vacations and laid-back BOE, proximity to cities, housing) that make it a lot better situation than many of the people living in my prefecture. I couldn't have known that until I talked to my pred, though.

mondilshan
April 10th, 2014, 04:12
This is really true. It's hard to know how good your placement will be until you talk to your predecessor. I got sent to a pretty inaka place, but there are a few factors (vacations and laid-back BOE, proximity to cities, housing) that make it a lot better situation than many of the people living in my prefecture. I couldn't have known that until I talked to my pred, though.

Great, this is helpful stuff. How will I know to get in touch with my predecessor? Will they automatically contact me when placements are announced?

Antonath
April 10th, 2014, 08:33
Great, this is helpful stuff. How will I know to get in touch with my predecessor? Will they automatically contact me when placements are announced?
They should get in contact with you, yes. The assorted Contracting Organisations have different "blackout" periods, though. Your predecessor will know who you are fairly early, but will likely be forbidden from contacting you until an official announcement is made.

therealwindycity
April 10th, 2014, 10:44
It should be mid-June at the latest. We're also pretty eager to contact our successors - it's a lot easier to prepare workplace and job info when you have an idea of whether your successor speaks Japanese, has studied abroad, etc.

MilkBottle
May 2nd, 2014, 22:51
Hey guys, I got my phone call yesterday from the JET Desk asking if I wanted to accept a place on the short-list. UPGRADES FOR THE UK HAVE BEGUN :D

Moso
May 3rd, 2014, 00:56
Hey guys, I got my phone call yesterday from the JET Desk asking if I wanted to accept a place on the short-list. UPGRADES FOR THE UK HAVE BEGUN :D
CONGRATS :)

Tzvi
May 3rd, 2014, 19:23

Well done had you handed in everything they asked for for alternates (i.e health form and SAR)?

MilkBottle
May 3rd, 2014, 19:37
Well done had you handed in everything they asked for for alternates (i.e health form and SAR)?
Nope, got my appointment to pick up my health certificate Wednesday and I haven't received my SAR back from the police yet (not that I need it now...)

Tzvi
May 3rd, 2014, 19:50
Nope, got my appointment to pick up my health certificate Wednesday and I haven't received my SAR back from the police yet (not that I need it now...)

Good to know I guess (although I was holding on to the fact that the reason I hadn't got a phone call was because those weren't in yet so yay more nerves now)