PDA

View Full Version : post result paperwork

idaho
April 3rd, 2014, 06:43
Hey everyone. I've been checking ITIL quite a bit, but I haven't official decided to register until now. I happy to say I was lucky enough to get short-listed. Now it's time to start filling out MORE paperwork. I thought I would start a thread since some of this stuff is pretty confusing. I would like to focus on paperwork due before the April 30th deadline. Some of the questions might seem obvious or redundant, but since the previous paperwork was so specific, I want to be safe.

My questions:

Is the FBI ID Records Request the EXACT same document as the criminal background check? I know it sort of states that somewhere, but I was wondering if it's the exact same process as it was for the application.

sharpinthefang
April 3rd, 2014, 07:01
I'm wondering the same thing in regards to the British CRB check. I have one that was only done a month ago, would this be accepted as we won't find out for another week. If the 30th April deadline is the same for all countries (like application deadline was), that gives us a VERY short turn around time to get out IPCD checks done...

windar
April 3rd, 2014, 15:26
Hey everyone. I've been checking ITIL quite a bit, but I haven't official decided to register until now. I happy to say I was lucky enough to get short-listed. Now it's time to start filling out MORE paperwork. I thought I would start a thread since some of this stuff is pretty confusing. I would like to focus on paperwork due before the April 30th deadline. Some of the questions might seem obvious or redundant, but since the previous paperwork was so specific, I want to be safe.

My questions:

Is the FBI ID Records Request the EXACT same document as the criminal background check? I know it sort of states that somewhere, but I was wondering if it's the exact same process as it was for the application.

Only saw one question, but I'll try to answer.

Yes, it is the same. You just have to get (finger) printed, make the payment, and copy the application and send those copies to the consulate. Then send it to the FBI. I'm pretty sure.

Most important is the Reply Form saying "Yes!" Last year, I rushed to get everything done (including the medical check) but in the flurry of excitement wasn't clear that that wasn't required by the late April deadline. The most important thing is for the consulate to hear you want the position. (Of course, everything else should meet the deadline too).

yingyangryder
April 3rd, 2014, 15:45
Sharp, only the reply form is due at the end of April and your photographs. The medical and ICPC aren`t due until mid may. I PMd you with more info.

EDIT: I should mention my post only applies to UK applicants, I was replying to sharp. I have no idea about other countries, sorry.

idaho
April 3rd, 2014, 16:04
Sorry about the typos in my original thread. I tried squeezing out a quick paragraph before work, so that once I got off I might have some replies. In my rush I made some errors and didn't get my second question in. My second question is about the tax form (form 8088/6626 or something like that). The instructions for filling that out look like they are last years instructions. For instance, it says the period where we would be tax exempt say, "the day after you arrive in Japan," but then it says (group A arrives July 28th 2013). If these are last years instructions, do I move all the dates ahead 1 year to match up with a 2014-2015 incoming JET? I know this my be a question for my coordinator, but since it's still early, I don't want to bother her if I can figure some of this stuff out on my own, with the help of you nice people. Also, I think this only applies to U.S. JETs because I believe the tax exemption is a strictly U.S. thing.

idaho
April 3rd, 2014, 16:09
As for the typos in my LAST post....I blame those on my phone. I swear, my english is better than those posts would suggest.

Antonath
April 3rd, 2014, 16:12
If these are last years instructions, do I move all the dates ahead 1 year to match up with a 2014-2015 incoming JET?
The change isn't exactly a year as JET brings people out at the weekend. The departure dates are listed on the main USA JET website, but it might be better to wait until you get something confirmed from your embassy.

idaho
April 3rd, 2014, 16:34
The change isn't exactly a year as JET brings people out at the weekend. The departure dates are listed on the main USA JET website, but it might be better to wait until you get something confirmed from your embassy.

I thought as much. I was just wondering about the other dates. On line 7 instructions it states "in order to be exempt from Japanese taxes for the two years you are permitted, you will need to request proof of residence for 2012 and 2013. Your application is based on the previous year's filing-2012, but you are also allowed to request for the current calender year-2013. Write 2012 and 2013 here." So I would write 2013 and 2014 instead? I know it's nit-picky, but when you mix the JET program with the IRS I expect a lot of red tape, and I don't want to get delayed because of a small mistake.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 21:57
Sorry about the typos in my original thread. I tried squeezing out a quick paragraph before work, so that once I got off I might have some replies. In my rush I made some errors and didn't get my second question in. My second question is about the tax form (form 8088/6626 or something like that). The instructions for filling that out look like they are last years instructions. For instance, it says the period where we would be tax exempt say, "the day after you arrive in Japan," but then it says (group A arrives July 28th 2013). If these are last years instructions, do I move all the dates ahead 1 year to match up with a 2014-2015 incoming JET? I know this my be a question for my coordinator, but since it's still early, I don't want to bother her if I can figure some of this stuff out on my own, with the help of you nice people. Also, I think this only applies to U.S. JETs because I believe the tax exemption is a strictly U.S. thing.

Idaho, definitely contact your coordinator about specific questions like these. Usually us coordinators hesitate to get involved with IRS specific questions because of the liability with peoples taxes and such. The dates are pretty similar, but not exactly one year. I think the dates are moved up a day or so if I remember correctly. For specific questions like these, the forums are not the best place for an answer.

sharpinthefang
April 4th, 2014, 05:30
Just to point out, those who have to get the ICPC form need to know their address for the last ten years...

Villebillie
April 4th, 2014, 09:40
I have a question regarding the FBI background check, my email asks that I keep a copy of the results as well as send an unopened copy of the results to the consulate. Is there away to indicate this on the FBI forms? I was looking and I was unsure of how to request separate copies of the results.

Wasabi
April 4th, 2014, 10:54
For US applicants, especially alternates, I highly recommend getting at least two copies of your fingerprints if possible. I did the livescan ones last year when I was an alternate (digital prints that they printed out on a special card stock) and they suggested I get at least one extra copy in case (extra copies were free, too). I never used the extra copy and I found out through the FBI paperwork checklist that they accept fingerprint cards up to 18 months old! Now I don't have to waste money and time going to get mine done. Too bad I already took 2 hours off from work tomorrow, but it's always nice to get out early on a Friday :)

If for some reason your prints aren't readable by the FBI with your first submission extra copies of those prints will be meaningless but it's worth a shot if you end up in my situation.

greyjoy
April 4th, 2014, 19:26
Has everyone who's been notified gotten their paperwork already? I was notified by the Atlanta Consulate on March 31, but haven't received any follow up emails.

chwii
April 4th, 2014, 19:59
Has everyone who's been notified gotten their paperwork already? I was notified by the Atlanta Consulate on March 31, but haven't received any follow up emails.

I also interviewed in Atlanta, no paperwork yet. They're probably just dragging their feet a bit.

LaVie
April 4th, 2014, 22:47
Silly question, but given the main application's phobia of staples, is it best to just paperclip the two sides of alternate reply form together? That's how I have it now, but since there's no identifying information on the second page (other than the attached photographs), I'm sort of worried about them getting separated.

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 23:17
Silly question, but given the main application's phobia of staples, is it best to just paperclip the two sides of alternate reply form together? That's how I have it now, but since there's no identifying information on the second page (other than the attached photographs), I'm sort of worried about them getting separated.

No staples, please! We have to make copies and copies, and more copies of paperwork. Staples really slow us down and mess with our copy machines.

LaVie
April 4th, 2014, 23:20
No staples, please! We have to make copies and copies, and more copies of paperwork. Staples really slow us down and mess with our copy machines.

Haha, I will avoid the staples ;) It has a shiny red paperclip instead!
Thanks!

marshmallow3
April 5th, 2014, 00:21
In the copies we send to the JET office, do we include a copy of the fingerprints or just a copy of the application form?

itsabird
April 5th, 2014, 00:23
In the copies we send to the JET office, do we include a copy of the fingerprints or just a copy of the application form?

I didn't include fingerprints with mine and they said it was fine. I don't think they want your fingerprints. At least not at the Miami consulate.

marshmallow3
April 5th, 2014, 00:25
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2014, 00:33

Ive given applicants the option to send me copies of prints or not. All i need is the proof you sent it in(application form.) But, its always best to check with your coordinator to make sure. Before doing so though, go through the list of instructions they gave you. Many answers can be found there. If you are still confused, go ahead and email them.

Wasabi
April 5th, 2014, 01:45

Last year when I sent in my alternate reply form to Boston, I did not include a copy of my prints.

Curious-Cat
April 6th, 2014, 01:33
Stupid question, but I printed out the reply form double sided because that's what my printer defaulted to and it wasn't specified in the e-mail/google doc the DC office sent me...is that going to affect the application? D:

miamicoordinator
April 6th, 2014, 01:52
Stupid question, but I printed out the reply form double sided because that's what my printer defaulted to and it wasn't specified in the e-mail/google doc the DC office sent me...is that going to affect the application? D:

No problem unless otherwise specified by dc coordinators.

RancidBadger
April 6th, 2014, 05:54
This is a UK question, but how strict are they about the passport photos?

You see, I got a new passport in mid-2013, but the interview prep said they needed to be less than six months old. In January 2014 they were slightly older, so rather than risk a fuss, I got new ones. (Plus they could see that I had the photo taken when I got my passport, so could date them).

Anyway, I now need two photos less than three months old for my reply. I have some spares from the January 2014 interview batch. They will, hopefully, be ever-so-slightly older than three months, and they could know this as I gave them one photo at my interview.

So, will those photos be fine, or should I not risk it? In case they look at my interview photo and realise that they are slightly older than three months?

miamicoordinator
April 6th, 2014, 10:53
This is a UK question, but how strict are they about the passport photos?

You see, I got a new passport in mid-2013, but the interview prep said they needed to be less than six months old. In January 2014 they were slightly older, so rather than risk a fuss, I got new ones. (Plus they could see that I had the photo taken when I got my passport, so could date them).

Anyway, I now need two photos less than three months old for my reply. I have some spares from the January 2014 interview batch. They will, hopefully, be ever-so-slightly older than three months, and they could know this as I gave them one photo at my interview.

So, will those photos be fine, or should I not risk it? In case they look at my interview photo and realise that they are slightly older than three months?

RancidBadger,

I am unsure about specific photo procedure in the U.K.

How different do you look from the pictures in your possession? If you look the same, same hair length, no big changes, it could be ok. Check with your coordinator though, just in case.

aragorn
April 6th, 2014, 13:11
I accidentally sent in a form

miamicoordinator
April 6th, 2014, 13:16
I accidentally sent in for my 8802 form because it was one of the files in the google docs tab my coordinator sent me along with an instructions file for JETs. I'm an alternate. What should I do? If I am upgraded?

If you are upgraded, there are no issues.

If you arent upgraded though, you will need to call the irs and cancel the submission. It normally takes about 3 weeks for them to process it. The reason is, you dont want the government to think you are living in japan when you arent. It can screw your taxes.

aragorn
April 6th, 2014, 13:44
If you are upgraded, there are no issues.

If you arent upgraded though, you will need to call the irs and cancel the submission. It normally takes about 3 weeks for them to process it. The reason is, you dont want the government to think you are living in japan when you arent. It can screw your taxes.

Okay, thank you. So if I am not upgraded in the next two weeks or so I should probably cancel it then?

itsabird
April 6th, 2014, 13:50
Okay, thank you. So if I am not upgraded in the next two weeks or so I should probably cancel it then?

Were you already charged the $85? Would be unfortunate if you were upgraded and had to file again. First wave of upgrades comes late April, when the deadline to reply to you being shortlisted passes. Before then, more than likely there won't be many upgrades (except prior JETs cancelling renewals, or possibly shortlisters notifying their consulates that they don't want the spot).

I'm not sure exactly what it would change on your taxes, but two weeks probably isn't enough time to know if you are going to be upgraded (that's only April 20th). Maybe Miamicoordinator can help you out a bit on this though, because I've never filed for the tax exemption before. Or you can call the IRS and see how it would change your taxes if you had plans to cancel the form at a later date. Of which the latter is probably a safer bet because it's their system, not JET's.

aragorn
April 6th, 2014, 13:54
I did electronic payment...three cheers for modernization :/

miamicoordinator
April 6th, 2014, 21:43

Definitely call the IRS and get their opinion. Itsabird is right in the sense that you don't want to have that 85 dollars go to waste. Since this is for this years taxes(which we file in April of 2015 anyway) I don't think waiting till June is going to cause any big problems. However, I am not a tax expert, so call the IRS and see if it would be a problem if you were to cancel the 8802 sometime in August.

CrouchingMouse
April 6th, 2014, 22:28
So, is it advised for alternates to wait on obtaining the Certificate of U.S. Residency from the IRS? The email I received from my consulate said we should work on obtaining that and the FBI background check right away. Should I actually wait until I receive notice that I've been upgraded?

Randomgirl
April 7th, 2014, 02:49
For Canadians who go through the RCMP - I just went on a Sunday and no lines - they had the whole thing ready for me in 20 minutes. I went through a suburban office though, so maybe go through there?! Very handy though!!!

itsabird
April 7th, 2014, 02:55
So, is it advised for alternates to wait on obtaining the Certificate of U.S. Residency from the IRS? The email I received from my consulate said we should work on obtaining that and the FBI background check right away. Should I actually wait until I receive notice that I've been upgraded?

Originally we were informed to submit the 8802 form. Later it was clarified that we should not submit it just yet because it might mess up our taxes (unless we were already shortlisted, then it was okay) as well as cost us $85 that we might not have to spend. To be on the safe side, ask your consulate if you have to submit it prior to being upgraded or if you are only supposed to have it ready in the case that you do get upgraded from an alternate position.

createdtodance7
April 7th, 2014, 23:48
So about the IRS form... What exactly is its purpose? The instructions say that it is to be exempt from paying taxes in Japan. What if we would rather pay Japanese taxes on our income instead of paying USA taxes on Japanese income? Specifically, I ask, because I don't know if I can qualify for this form because I will have spent a year teaching in Korea, and have thus been technically a resident of Korea rather than a resident of the USA. So again, what EXACTLY is the purpose for us filling out this form? Help please! @_@

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shincantsen
April 8th, 2014, 00:02
So about the IRS form... What exactly is its purpose? The instructions say that it is to be exempt from paying taxes in Japan. What if we would rather pay Japanese taxes on our income instead of paying USA taxes on Japanese income? Specifically, I ask, because I don't know if I can qualify for this form because I will have spent a year teaching in Korea, and have thus been technically a resident of Korea rather than a resident of the USA. So again, what EXACTLY is the purpose for us filling out this form? Help please! @_@

You will be exempt from paying taxes in Japan and in the US. You still have to file your taxes in the US, but you don't pay anything.

createdtodance7
April 8th, 2014, 00:06
Would I even be eligible for this? I've just submitted a tax extension so that I can file after I've been in Korea for a year, thus exempting me from USA taxes on Korean income, which basically pleads myself as a resident of Korea, not the USA.

Shincantsen
April 8th, 2014, 01:02
Would I even be eligible for this? I've just submitted a tax extension so that I can file after I've been in Korea for a year, thus exempting me from USA taxes on Korean income, which basically pleads myself as a resident of Korea, not the USA.

I don't think anyone here will be able to answer that for you, you'll probably need to call the IRS.

marshmallow3
April 8th, 2014, 01:03
Would it be better to email or call our coordinators with questions? I'm struggling with the dates for my IRS forms and would like to get them out tomorrow but my coordinator hasn't replied to any of my emails.

Shincantsen
April 8th, 2014, 01:15
Would it be better to email or call our coordinators with questions? I'm struggling with the dates for my IRS forms and would like to get them out tomorrow but my coordinator hasn't replied to any of my emails.

In general I think it's better to email - and if you emailed on Friday, then they probably just didn't get to it before the weekend. But if you've been waiting a while you can call.

That being said, I don't think the consulates will be able to tell you much about the IRS form. If you have complicated questions, it's probably better to look it up on the IRS website or call them.

Wasabi
April 8th, 2014, 02:32
marshmallow3 - since we're applying out of the same consulate, one of the last e-mails Susan sent specified she would be out of office April 3rd & 4th, so I wouldn't freak just yet.

EDIT: I called Susan and did manage to talk to her about the tax form today. They aren't checking them before we submit it like I thought, it's just to give proof to Tokyo that we did apply for the right stuff.

marshmallow3
April 8th, 2014, 02:52
marshmallow3 - since we're applying out of the same consulate, one of the last e-mails Susan sent specified she would be out of office April 3rd & 4th, so I wouldn't freak just yet. Also, I believe we are supposed to send her a copy of the 8802 before submitting it, and I assume she'll let us know (to the best of her knowledge) if we even filled it out right.

Wow, good call. I hadn't even thought of that. Wasabi, may I still ask you about some specifics on the Lines?
1) For Line 2, do we put our permanent address? I go to school away from home and have a post box with my school here. I wasn't sure which address to put down.
2) For Line 7, do we put 2013 and 2014 OR 2014 and 2015?

ichinichi
April 8th, 2014, 08:08

Call them! It's much more convenient. :)

RancidBadger
April 8th, 2014, 08:35
For the ICPC, does the organisation's country count as Japan, or the UK?

I am presuming it will the the UK, seeing as it asks me to use the address of the JET Desk at the Embassy in London, but better safe than sorry.

therealwindycity
April 8th, 2014, 08:42

The tax situation in Japan is different from how it is in Korea. The reason you need this form is that it gives you two years free from paying Japanese taxes per their trade agreement with the US, but you also don't have to pay US taxes on it because of the foreign income exemption. So it's not a matter of choosing which to pay - you're exempt from both. You'll have to call the IRS to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that you still qualify for the form 6166. Even if you're paying taxes in Korea you should have filed a US tax return as well, which shows that the US is still your "tax home."

createdtodance7
April 8th, 2014, 08:46
You'll have to call the IRS to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that as long as you did all the paperwork correctly (filed a US tax return with your Korean income exempted) you should still be able to get the form. It's necessary because of the tax treaty that Japan has with the US - you don't have to pay Japanese taxes because they give two years tax-free to US citizens, and you don't have to pay US taxes because overseas income is exempt up to around $100,000.

Thank you, an answer I can work with! ^_^

Wasabi
April 8th, 2014, 08:50
Wow, good call. I hadn't even thought of that. Wasabi, may I still ask you about some specifics on the Lines?
1) For Line 2, do we put our permanent address? I go to school away from home and have a post box with my school here. I wasn't sure which address to put down.
2) For Line 7, do we put 2013 and 2014 OR 2014 and 2015?

Funny, right as I edited my post to redact that statement, you replied :P So to reiterate, they're not checking the form and then giving us a go ahead. We just have to fill them out to the best of our ability and call the consulate/IRS with questions. As for line 2, I would use your permanent address because if you were to file taxes (or did) for 2013, you would be using that address and not your school one right?

For line 7, I do tend to agree that we should be putting 2014 and 2015. We've already (or will soon) file for 2013 taxes, but maybe I'm missing something? I might send an e-mail to the consulate now or call tomorrow just to double check on that one. In some cases, this form seems to have dates from last year that weren't changed.

marshmallow3
April 8th, 2014, 08:56
Just sent off an email. Thanks for all your help, Wasabi!

aragorn
April 8th, 2014, 11:12
I was sent an email from my consulate with the 8802 form and instructions enclosed and did it even though I am an alternate. Whoops. Anyway, I just called an agent at the IRS to ask if I should have put 2013 and 2014, OR 2014 and 2015. She said I can't apply for 2015 anyway until December. Call them to make sure but that's what that agent told me.

ihatefall
April 8th, 2014, 11:48
Last year when I sent in my alternate reply form to Boston, I did not include a copy of my prints.

Susan Gill has a REALLY REALLY good memory and/or keeps really good files.

You have been warned hahaha

createdtodance7
April 8th, 2014, 11:57
I was sent an email from my consulate with the 8802 form and instructions enclosed and did it even though I am an alternate. Whoops. Anyway, I just called an agent at the IRS to ask if I should have put 2013 and 2014, OR 2014 and 2015. She said I can't apply for 2015 anyway until December. Call them to make sure but that's what that agent told me.

So does that means we put 2014-2015 or we shouldn't? Since 2013 is over...?

greyjoy
April 8th, 2014, 15:08
This is verbatim from my Atlanta Consulate handbook on the IRS form:

Line 7 - In order to be exempt from Japanese taxes for the two years you are permitted (in this case, 2014 and 2015), you will need to
request proof of US residency for 2013 and 2014 (since you will be taxed on income from the previous year). Write “2013 and 2014” here.
Note: See also FAQ #6 below for additional information)

This seems wrong to me, but it's probably just not intuitive. There's a lot of outdated information in my handbook, where they clearly forgot to update the years, but this still seems to be current. The way that I think we're supposed to interpret it is that we need to be official American residents for the year preceding the year we're exempting our taxes on.

webstaa
April 8th, 2014, 15:44
You have to prove your residency for a full year before, and the part year (this year) in order to not pay local taxes in Japan - its like the physical presence test for the Foreign Income Exclusion for the US. - 360 days, starting from when you arrive - so it crosses two years.

ihatefall
April 8th, 2014, 17:58
And you have to make less than $109K in one fiscal year. The you have to pay taxes in both places....

Wasabi
April 9th, 2014, 02:20
Susan Gill has a REALLY REALLY good memory and/or keeps really good files.

You have been warned hahaha

What's that supposed to mean?? Haha. You applied through Boston?

ihatefall
April 9th, 2014, 07:49
What's that supposed to mean?? Haha. You applied through Boston?

It's means I left through Boston and when I reapplied 7 years later (I was thinking about doing JET a second time), she remembered just about everything.

Corvus
April 14th, 2014, 13:53
Looking for some testimonials on the FBI's turnaround for the background check. Is it reasonable to expect them back before the end of the month?

Looking for similar info for the IRS residency forms. Anyone try the fax-in/e-pay option?

par92186
April 14th, 2014, 14:26
Looking for some testimonials on the FBI's turnaround for the background check. Is it reasonable to expect them back before the end of the month?

Looking for similar info for the IRS residency forms. Anyone try the fax-in/e-pay option?

Depends on exactly when you sent them, but ehre is a quick breakdown of how mine went:

FBI-BGC= it took 4 weeks for me to receive it. However, I did mine in early Fall (right before the government shutdown..i know...good timing lol). This time of the year is the busiest to apply for a FBI-BGC because all types of people apply for teaching jobs overseas (Korea, China, Japan, etc) and they all send in paperwork right about now. If I had to guess, if you sent it in last week...it'll arrive back to you in about 6-7 weeks at the latest. It all depends on when the gov't received it and how many people sent theirs in before you.

IRS-Res = i just applied for mine about a week ago, so i'm still waiting on it to be processed. However, I had to do this paperwork for when I moved to Korea 2 years ago and I remember it taking about 6 weeks as well..

I also payed by check.

Good Luck.

Jedirust
April 14th, 2014, 21:43
And you have to make less than $109K in one fiscal year. The you have to pay taxes in both places....

... Darn. (Sadly, does not apply to me)
I guess it would be better to be paid $108,999 to not pay taxes than make a couple bucks more.

greyjoy
April 15th, 2014, 20:38
I think a more important question would be if anyone had any problems with their initial paperwork. Provided everything was done correctly, even if the FBI and IRS are twiddling their thumbs for two months, there should be no problem with the timing. What I'm worried about is if I somehow did something wrong, and I have to resend something. When will they let me know how I messed up, and how long will that delay them sending out the correct documents?

Did anybody run into any issues with their forms in the past?

miamicoordinator
April 15th, 2014, 22:13
I think a more important question would be if anyone had any problems with their initial paperwork. Provided everything was done correctly, even if the FBI and IRS are twiddling their thumbs for two months, there should be no problem with the timing. What I'm worried about is if I somehow did something wrong, and I have to resend something. When will they let me know how I messed up, and how long will that delay them sending out the correct documents?

Did anybody run into any issues with their forms in the past?

If there is a signature missing, or something wrong with your paperwork, your coordinator will let you know.

marshmallow3
April 16th, 2014, 00:18
MC, will coordinators also let us know if they received our paperwork without any errors?

miamicoordinator
April 16th, 2014, 00:29
MC, will coordinators also let us know if they received our paperwork without any errors?

I am unsure how Susan verifies with her short-listers whether or not she has received their paperwork and if there are any errors. In Miami, I have a google site with a checklist with the names of the applicants. At any time they can see the progress of what has been submitted and what hasn't. If there are any problems with the paperwork as a shortlister, you can be sure your coordinator will contact you. If there are no problems, it will be up to them. I personally do not call them to let them know we received everything because of my google site. That being said, if it makes you feel better, you can always just shoot her an e-mail.

spman2099
April 16th, 2014, 00:30
What he said...

marshmallow3
April 16th, 2014, 00:39
I saw someone on the facebook group say that their coordinator sent them a general confirmation email. Perhaps it's handled differently by each coordinator.

Wasabi
April 16th, 2014, 02:17
It's been pretty quiet out of Boston - no Facebook group, no schedule of events, nothing :P I'm kind of jealous of some of the other consulates out there!

Cutthroat-finch
April 16th, 2014, 02:40
There's a Google spreadsheet for San Francisco for us to check to make sure that they've received all of the paperwork. The only problem is that it hasn't been updated. My paperwork was delivered last Friday but I'm still waiting to make sure that it actually got to the coordinator.

spman2099
April 16th, 2014, 05:05
It's been pretty quiet out of Boston - no Facebook group, no schedule of events, nothing :P I'm kind of jealous of some of the other consulates out there!

I feel the same way. I wish Toronto alternates got cool stuff like that... *kicks a can*

par92186
April 16th, 2014, 08:50
In Miami, I have a google site with a checklist with the names of the applicants. At any time they can see the progress of what has been submitted and what hasn't.

I wish I would have applied through Miami lol

greyjoy
April 16th, 2014, 14:42
If there is a signature missing, or something wrong with your paperwork, your coordinator will let you know.

I'm not really worried about hearing back from the coordinator. I trust that someone there will let me know within a reasonable time frame if I need to ccorrect anything. What I'm worried about is the FBI or IRS, who might take 4-6 weeks to process a correctly filled out form. What if I did something wrong on that, and I don't hear back until late May?

sharpinthefang
April 16th, 2014, 22:02
I sent my SAR off on Monday last week, paid for the postal order to all be sent off. Was really happy to find a letter on my door form the Hampshire force (where i have to send the SAR too) only to find that as Devon and Cornwall like to think they are a different country, i have to send it too them! It means my postal order is nothing more than an expensive bit of paper and i have to repay and re-fill out forms that look the same aside from a header saying Devon and Cornwall rather than nothing!

Este
April 16th, 2014, 23:07
I sent my SAR off on Monday last week, paid for the postal order to all be sent off. Was really happy to find a letter on my door form the Hampshire force (where i have to send the SAR too) only to find that as Devon and Cornwall like to think they are a different country, i have to send it too them! It means my postal order is nothing more than an expensive bit of paper and i have to repay and re-fill out forms that look the same aside from a header saying Devon and Cornwall rather than nothing!

Wow, what a pain! I sent off my SAR form last Tuesday and I've tried ringing them a few times to check they've received it. I kept getting a recorded message saying their phone lines were busy so try the website. I emailed them the other day, just to confirm that they'd received it and there wasn't anything else they needed. To their credit, they did get back to me in just under two days to say they'd received it and when I was likely to hear back by.

aragorn
April 17th, 2014, 03:29
There's a Google spreadsheet for San Francisco for us to check to make sure that they've received all of the paperwork. The only problem is that it hasn't been updated. My paperwork was delivered last Friday but I'm still waiting to make sure that it actually got to the coordinator.

What's the web address for that? I got a similar one from San Francisco and it hasn't been updated but I think that its for alternates. How many cell rows are there in yours?

Corvus
April 17th, 2014, 06:38
LA sent out confirmation e-mails.

LaVie
April 29th, 2014, 00:29
DC has been sending out a chart updating candidates' forms that have been handed in. In both of the emails they've sent, they haven't updated my chart to show that I've already handed in the FBI doccuments, though when I emailed them the first time they confirmed that they have them and that I don't have to turn it an again...should I call just to make sure their records are correct?

miamicoordinator
April 29th, 2014, 05:16
DC has been sending out a chart updating candidates' forms that have been handed in. In both of the emails they've sent, they haven't updated my chart to show that I've already handed in the FBI doccuments, though when I emailed them the first time they confirmed that they have them and that I don't have to turn it an again...should I call just to make sure their records are correct?

Yes, call or e-mail them if the google document is showing up with incomplete information. The post office, UPS, and FedEx all have their way of misplacing important documents >.>

Corvus
April 29th, 2014, 05:26
The FBI forms worry me the most; haven't seen a charge on my card yet and I mailed in the form several weeks ago.

miamicoordinator
April 29th, 2014, 05:36
The FBI forms worry me the most; haven't seen a charge on my card yet and I mailed in the form several weeks ago.

FBI background checks always take a long time, that is why we recommend that people submit their application as soon as possible. Many times, the can't read your prints either, so they ask you to re-do them.

Cutthroat-finch
April 29th, 2014, 06:09

My form was delivered on April 9th and I just saw the charge come through over the weekend. It was probably charged on the 25th, so it took them a little over two weeks. Do you know when your form was delivered?

Corvus
April 29th, 2014, 07:24
So they got your forms on 4/9, and you got charged this weekend? Sounds about like what I'd expect.

My form was delivered on 4/10, I haven't heard anything since then. I'm assuming it will be a nightmare calling in to try and check on the status.

Did you pay via certified check or through the CC form? I used the latter

Coolmanio
April 29th, 2014, 09:12
delete

Cutthroat-finch
April 29th, 2014, 09:43
So they got your forms on 4/9, and you got charged this weekend? Sounds about like what I'd expect.

My form was delivered on 4/10, I haven't heard anything since then. I'm assuming it will be a nightmare calling in to try and check on the status.

Did you pay via certified check or through the CC form? I used the latter

Yea that's right. They got my form on the 9th and I noticed the charge this weekend. I paid through the CC form. I'm guessing your form would be processed within the next few days if it hasn't been already?

You could try calling but their website says to not call until it has been six weeks since they've received the form.

Corvus
April 29th, 2014, 10:24
Yea that's right. They got my form on the 9th and I noticed the charge this weekend. I paid through the CC form. I'm guessing your form would be processed within the next few days if it hasn't been already?

You could try calling but their website says to not call until it has been six weeks since they've received the form.

Thanks for the info, I'll be on the look out for a charge on my CC

Edit: Just noticed they charged me today after making this post, actually. :cool:

ihatefall
April 29th, 2014, 11:11

Susan isn't going to call you unless you are missing something. But she isn't going to bite, if you call to check either. I am telling she is on top of it.

I wonder if they still do the pre-departure meet up in the children's museum? (They have a whole entire Japanese house there.)

Wasabi
April 30th, 2014, 10:28
ihatefall - Thanks for the info. I remember last year hearing nothing from her confirming she had received my FBI background check so I ended up e-mailing her to ask. Also, as far as I know, they still do the Children's museum thing. I kind of wish we did have some sort of schedule at the very least, even if it had tentative dates/information on it. I've got a lot of requests to do stuff with friends & other things I want to do in the coming weeks, so it'd just make it easier to plan out my last 3 months. I suppose we're probably a small consulate though so it might not make sense to her to have online groups and what have you.

ihatefall
April 30th, 2014, 14:44
Boston isn't that small, my group even had people from CT coming up because it was easier than going through NYC. Boston services a lot of states. I think we had well over 100 depart my year (2006).

Corvus
May 13th, 2014, 08:33
Thanks for the info, I'll be on the look out for a charge on my CC

Edit: Just noticed they charged me today after making this post, actually. :cool:

Just got confirmation from my consulate that FBI check results came in. So turnaround time all in all was 1 month.