PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Passport Question...

spman2099
April 3rd, 2014, 23:38
So, I personally want to get my forms in as quickly as possible. However, there appears to be a bit of a snag; my passport will be expiring during the time I would be in Japan (if I was upgraded, that is). So, is it imperative that I have my passport renewed before I submit my alternate paperwork? Or is that something that the consulate would not be overly concerned about? I would love to hear from the coordinators on this site about this... Thanks in advance!

uthinkimlost?
April 3rd, 2014, 23:53
You must have a new passport prior to departure, but send a message to your coordinator to ask them how they want you to handle the replacement. (For me I replaced it after I submitted my paperwork.)

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 23:56
So, I personally want to get my forms in as quickly as possible. However, there appears to be a bit of a snag; my passport will be expiring during the time I would be in Japan (if I was upgraded, that is). So, is it imperative that I have my passport renewed before I submit my alternate paperwork? Or is that something that the consulate would not be overly concerned about? I would love to hear from the coordinators on this site about this... Thanks in advance!

As long as your passport is valid when you depart to Japan, that is all that matters. You can get your passport renewed in Japan if it does expire while you are there. We would only be concerned if you passport expired before December of 2014 (because that is technically how late the upgrade window is).

If you can though, try and get a new passport anyway because they are good to have on hand. Don't expedite it though. Getting a passport in Japan can be a hassle if you are in a very rural placement. However like I said, as long as it is valid until December of 2014, it would not impede your paperwork.

Hope this helps.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2014, 23:59

I just saw you were a Canadian alternate. THings could be different there, definitely call the embassy/consulate. My info is only good if you are departing from the U.S.

Sorry.

spman2099
April 4th, 2014, 00:03
As long as your passport is valid when you depart to Japan, that is all that matters. You can get your passport renewed in Japan if it does expire while you are there. We would only be concerned if you passport expired before December of 2014 (because that is technically how late the upgrade window is).

If you can though, try and get a new passport anyway because they are good to have on hand. Don't expedite it though. Getting a passport in Japan can be a hassle if you are in a very rural placement. However like I said, as long as it is valid until December of 2014, it would not impede your paperwork.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch; that being said, I actually read the dates wrong. My passport is good straight up until November of 2015. So yeah, false alarm. Still, your answer could help someone else who may have the same question. So, like, I totally didn't waste your time. Stop looking at me like that, dude...

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 00:11
Stop looking at me like that, dude...

ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

itsabird
April 4th, 2014, 00:12
ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

Perfect.

spman2099
April 4th, 2014, 00:14
ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

And all the tables were flipped...