PDA

View Full Version : Short-lister age demographics

hypatia
April 4th, 2014, 12:05
Hey all.

I noticed something interesting and wanted to see what your thoughts were. My consulate opted to do a private sub-reddit for short-listers to get to know one another, ask questions about the process, etc. Much to my surprise, more than half (~70%) of the short-listers who have posted so far are in the 25-28 year old age range. This really surprised me, as I was under the impression that the majority of JETs are current college seniors. Was this a misguided assumption, or have things started changing in recent years? If it's the latter, that would make sense, what with the (still) crappy economy and rampant underemployment that older and older applicants would still be in a position in life that allowed them to up and move to Japan for a year.

Anyhow, those of you who have watched the applicant pool come and go for a while now - any thoughts?

Jiggit
April 4th, 2014, 12:10
I'd say it's always mostly been people in their 20s but it varies quite a lot within that bracket. I wouldn't say most people are straight out of college, no.

Antonath
April 4th, 2014, 12:17
You do still see straight-from-school JETs, but that 25-28 age range is slowly becoming more common. This is a Good Thing(TM)

A frequent grumble on ITIL is that in every intake there are a number of JETs who come straight from college / university, and have no idea how to operate in the "real world", let alone when the real world is a foreign country. You see people who complain about having to be at work during school holidays, or not being allowed to take vacation when classes are being held. Others have no idea how to manage their finances. Having people on JET who have a job or two under their belt after university generally eliminates a whole host of issues for everyone.

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2014, 12:30
You do still see straight-from-school JETs, but that 25-28 age range is slowly becoming more common. This is a Good Thing(TM)

A frequent grumble on ITIL is that in every intake there are a number of JETs who come straight from college / university, and have no idea how to operate in the "real world", let alone when the real world is a foreign country. You see people who complain about having to be at work during school holidays, or not being allowed to take vacation when classes are being held. Others have no idea how to manage their finances. Having people on JET who have a job or two under their belt after university generally eliminates a whole host of issues for everyone.

We have a pretty healthy age mix in miami.

I will say the college seniors, as a whole, seemed to be overall less prepared for the interview than the 25+ crowd. We did have some great college seniors though.

Usually, more experienced people do better in interviews than those who have been in school their adult life.

spman2099
April 4th, 2014, 12:45
All of you need to shut up... The lie I tell myself is that the JET Programme discriminates against older applicants which is why I was not short listed. Stop confronting me with reality.

itsabird
April 4th, 2014, 12:54
... The lie...

They always say admitting there's a problem is the first step ;)!

greyjoy
April 4th, 2014, 19:08
For some additional data, see that I did not get into the program in the three years that I applied directly out of school, but have just been shortlisted now several years thereafter. It was one of the things that I highlighted during my interview.

HorseFeathers
April 4th, 2014, 19:55
I am 27 years old and I was shortlisted. But most times, looking at my face, people would assume that I am still in college. Take that as you will.

Jiggit
April 4th, 2014, 20:12

There are 26 year olds who act like they're still in college and 22 year olds who act like they're adults. Overall though the majority of JETs give a feel of people who think/wish they were still 19.

I was born middle-aged apparently so that isn't my scene. The only time it really is bad though is when people act like rowdy pricks and don't respect other people. That's when I get pissed cause you know those people are giving an impression to Japanese people of how the rest of us are. Which sucks.

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 02:17
I'm going to be straight out of school at the age of 23, with an Arts degree double majoring in psychology (honors) and criminology. I was short listed with no teaching experience, and a Japanese level of introductory/super basic. I do have a few years of experience under my belt, which I think added to my uniqueness and demonstrated by ability to "function in the real world" as some people say. I spent 3 years working at a movie theater (front-line all the way up to cash office management), 8 months working with intellectually disabled adults as a vocational instructor, and 4 months at a clinic working with borderline personality disorder out-patients.

Like it's been said before, I think it really depends so much on the person and you can never guess what will make a qualified JET. Just because someone is in their 30's doesn't mean they know how to function any better on their own; I've seen 16 year olds more capable than some 30 year olds. I'll definitely advocate that anyone can try for JET, if they think they have what it takes.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 10:52
39 here! With a 5 year old. But maybe they are ok with that because I'm a second timer?!

uthinkimlost?
April 5th, 2014, 11:01
39 here! With a 5 year old. But maybe they are ok with that because I'm a second timer?!

I've met first-timers in their fifties.

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 11:18
Lol, that's awesome!

Jiggit
April 5th, 2014, 13:21
By what definition?

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 16:46
Second timer? It's my second time on JET - I went back in 2001-2004.

RG

Cbill1
April 5th, 2014, 16:51
21 here, graduating in May.

I was short-listed out of Nashville, but most of the other students I know who applied to leave straight out of college were placed as Alternates. There are a few things I could think of that would have put my application through above theirs, but I think one of the biggest is that I went to school out of state; the university is around 1000 miles away from where I grew up, so I already have 4 years experience living on my own, and 2 owning my own apartment.

I can also say that I do think seniors are less-prepared as a whole for the interviewing/hiring process; I've seen a lot of classmates who come in unprepared, with the mindset that it's an interview for a job like one you'd have in college, when it isn't.

ninja_raj
April 5th, 2014, 17:33
I've been shortlisted this year, and I'm 28. However, I'm also graduating this year! I'm a mix!

dzima
April 5th, 2014, 18:45
First time on JET, I'm also ARASA, as in around 30...

(Randomgirl is ARAFO, around 40)

Gizmotech
April 5th, 2014, 18:54
I know I shouldn't discriminate, but I much prefer my current group of slightly older alts around me than the young group on other side of the prefecture. They are much easier to deal with and so not treat everything as a childish joke. Unfortunately, JET is not the place to mature as an individual though as you never need to grow up when you're surrounded by equally Uni minded kids.

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 21:02
I know I shouldn't discriminate, but I much prefer my current group of slightly older alts around me than the young group on other side of the prefecture. They are much easier to deal with and so not treat everything as a childish joke. Unfortunately, JET is not the place to mature as an individual though as you never need to grow up when you're surrounded by equally Uni minded kids.

Nothing wrong with preferring that. Personally throughout my life I haven't really gotten along with my own demographic (interests and priorities never seem to line up) other than a few close friends I have. As I get older slowly I find I'm getting along better with people my age. xD

Randomgirl
April 5th, 2014, 23:26
Ok, I'll bite - ARAFO?

Wasabi
April 5th, 2014, 23:31
I'll be 25 this July, but generally get along better with an older crowd. My boyfriend and I hang out with his step brother's crew and they're all 31+. I readily admit I like to be home by 11 and sleeping at midnight most weekends :P "old before your time" as they say.

Sarenka
April 5th, 2014, 23:39
I'll be 25 this July, but generally get along better with an older crowd. My boyfriend and I hang out with his step brother's crew and they're all 31+. I readily admit I like to be home by 11 and sleeping at midnight most weekends :P "old before your time" as they say.

I approve all of this. :P

Antonath
April 6th, 2014, 09:09
Ok, I'll bite - ARAFO?
Arafo is Japanese-corrupted English for "ARound FOrty". There is also Arasa for around thirty (or "saati" if you can't pronounce a th sound).

Randomgirl
April 6th, 2014, 09:35
Ah! Lol. Obviously I need to catch up on my modern Japanese!!
RG

mrcharisma
April 7th, 2014, 11:33
the group I arrived in had a range of about 21 - 40. Most were somewhere between 23 and 26 with around a third of them older than that.

Regardless of their age, Jets seem to fit into a few set types fairly quickly (do-gooders, boozers, dorks, travellers, independents, loners off the top of my head). The party types won't care about your vintage, but especially at "official" events the focus is heavily on forced wackiness and you'll need to embrace or at least tolerate that. If you're the kind of person who spends their weekends at gigs or in basement techno clubs, get ready to learn The Macarena or find yourself a more discerning social group.

uthinkimlost?
April 7th, 2014, 11:37
independents, loners

What is the difference between these two? Attitude?

Jiggit
April 7th, 2014, 11:41
Independent is you, loner is gizmo.

therealwindycity
April 7th, 2014, 11:54
get ready to learn The Macarena

Guys what is even going on in this thread

uthinkimlost?
April 7th, 2014, 12:05

So number of waifu pillows owned makes the difference. Gotcha.

Gizmotech
April 7th, 2014, 12:56

Pretty much would sum it up. Attitude of "do I give a shit about others" + "Do I want to be around others". I answer no to both of em.

ihatefall
April 12th, 2014, 01:58
Guys what is even going on in this thread

He is saying, if you're into non-main stream stuff then you had better get used to hanging with Norms and doing stuff people did at college parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedirust
April 12th, 2014, 06:28
29 years old here... Will be 30 in August.

therealwindycity
April 12th, 2014, 16:24
He is saying, if you're into non-main stream stuff then you had better get used to hanging with Norms and doing stuff people did in college

I'm about to have an Ini moment, but I'm pretty sure the Macarena hasn't been "mainstream" for about 15 years

greyjoy
April 12th, 2014, 17:11
Yeah, I guess we'll all be twerking instead.

spman2099
April 12th, 2014, 21:42
Yeah, I guess we'll all be twerking instead.

I feel like schools aren't encouraging twerking, though... The Macarena, on the other hand, was pretty much an institutionalized dance.

createdtodance7
April 22nd, 2014, 19:48

This basically represents me as well. I'm 23, but have been teaching in Korea for one year. One year of working three jobs in America before that. Graduated college two years ago. Haven't been much of a 23 year old since I was maybe 18. My best friend is 33 and married. I love going to bed at midnight. :)

Gizmotech
April 22nd, 2014, 19:57
Hey, bed time is a negotiable thing. Doesn't matter how old you are. There was a four month period in HS where I went to bed at 9. These things happen.

That being said,having been 23 and working will make your rather different from many of the other 22/23 year olds. I see a huge difference between alts who have worked for a year or two, especially if it was independently, so don't worry.

Jiggit
April 22nd, 2014, 21:06
This basically represents me as well. I'm 23, but have been teaching in Korea for one year. One year of working three jobs in America before that. Graduated college two years ago. Haven't been much of a 23 year old since I was maybe 18. My best friend is 33 and married. I love going to bed at midnight. :)

Pfft, I'm 23, my best friend is 61 and I like to go to bed at 10. Who's cool now?

sharpinthefang
April 23rd, 2014, 05:18
Pfft, I'm 23, my best friend is 61 and I like to go to bed at 10. Who's cool now?
Has this turned into the reverse of 'i stay up this late, im cool'?

Gizmotech
April 23rd, 2014, 08:18
Has this turned into the reverse of 'i stay up this late, im cool'?

Duh. Old age is awesome! Screw being young. Yolo is shit. I'm all about the GDS, gonna die soon, so get shit done.

sharpinthefang
April 23rd, 2014, 18:42
Duh. Old age is awesome! Screw being young. Yolo is shit. I'm all about the GDS, gonna die soon, so get shit done.
Oh god, never could stand the YOLO crap, always wanted to push who ever said it into the road and see how well they survive.... And your going to live forever or die in the attempt