PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

Corvus
April 11th, 2014, 01:44
JLGC Japan Local Government Center
(http://www.jlgc.org/TopicList.aspx?topicCategoryID=6&topicID=386&languageTypeID=1&controlType=Display)

I know someone posted about this a few months earlier, but I figured I'd revive it now that most consulates are getting their short-lists out.

I'm curious to hear from MiamiCoordinator or anyone that might actually have heard something about this initiative.

miamicoordinator
April 11th, 2014, 04:52
JLGC Japan Local Government Center
(http://www.jlgc.org/TopicList.aspx?topicCategoryID=6&topicID=386&languageTypeID=1&controlType=Display)

I know someone posted about this a few months earlier, but I figured I'd revive it now that most consulates are getting their short-lists out.

I'm curious to hear from MiamiCoordinator or anyone that might actually have heard something about this initiative.

Yes, we learned about this a few months back. I am glad CLAIR finally released a press release for it. Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^

Just remember though, JET salary is the same nationwide. So, the person living in a small town in the north who pays 200 dollars rent will get the same salary as someone living in Tokyo who may need to pay 800 dollars for a shoebox apartment. Just some things to think about ;)

Living in Tokyo may have other challenges compared to rural living.

We will see how many of the short-listers get placed in Tokyo when June comes around.

Caramel
April 11th, 2014, 04:55
Could this mean more alternates get upgraded too, or are they just shifting existing placements around?

miamicoordinator
April 11th, 2014, 05:04
Could this mean more alternates get upgraded too, or are they just shifting existing placements around?

I don't think so. There are three ways that alternates get upgraded.

1) Short-listers decline their positions
2) Those who are working in Japan who initially agreed to re-contract change their mind and their contracting organizations need to fill a spot
3) Last minute a contracting or ganization decides they want to hire a JET and contact CLAIR for someone.

The first two happen much more than the third. Since this has been announced since November of last year, I assume Tokyo met the deadline(usually January) to let CLAIR know they would need X amount of JETs. The only way this would mean more upgrades is if Tokyo decided they wanted more JETs than the initial 100 they are requesting this year. In that case, yes, some more people would be upgraded. I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea, but it is a possibility. If Tokyo though does not need more than the 100 requested this year, then it will not mean more alternate upgrades. Since Tokyo only had 5 JET positions in 2013, this is not a shifting of placements, but rather an expanding of the program. Which is great overall because it means more short-listers next year.

Corvus
April 11th, 2014, 05:34
I don't think the number of JETs is going to change, I think the cut off is 4k ALTs globally, including new and recontracted placements?

It just means more people are likely to get a placement in Tokyo. Its a very significant change.

To put it into perspective, Hokkaido (217 outside of Sapporo, 35 within Sapporo) and Hyogo (183 outside of Kobe, and 111 within Kobe) prefectures were listed in 2012 as having the most JETs. Tokyo would likely be in the top 10 prefectures that employs JETs this year, and possibly tied/ahead of Hyogo by 2015 with over 300 JETs.

miamicoordinator
April 11th, 2014, 05:44
I don't think the number of JETs is going to change, I think the cut off is 4k ALTs globally, including new and recontracted placements?

It just means more people are likely to get a placement in Tokyo. Its a very significant change.

To put it into perspective, Hokkaido (217 outside of Sapporo, 35 within Sapporo) and Hyogo (183 outside of Kobe, and 111 within Kobe) prefectures were listed in 2012 as having the most JETs. Tokyo would likely be in the top 10 prefectures that employs JETs this year, and possibly tied/ahead of Hyogo by 2015 with over 300 JETs.

There is no cap on the number of JETs nationally. The number of JETs is determined by the number of Contracting Organizations(Boards of Education, or Prefectures). They figure out how many they can/can't hire. JET salaries are standarized out of fairness, but there is no hard cap on the amount there can be. So yes, it will increase the number of JETs in Japan, just not by a large amount. An extra 100-200 spots is significant, but it will be spread out amonst all English speaking Consulates/Embassies worldwide. Each Consulate may get a couple extra spots for example.

Corvus
April 11th, 2014, 05:57
In case anyone was curious, here is the more detailed breakdown of prefectures for 2012-2013
http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/stats/2012_jet_stats_e.pdf

Looks like there were only 2 CO's in Tokyo, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Shelia
April 11th, 2014, 07:03
Here's hoping Tokyo will want some Aussies!

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2014, 07:45
In case anyone was curious, here is the more detailed breakdown of prefectures for 2012-2013
http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/stats/2012_jet_stats_e.pdf

Looks like there were only 2 CO's in Tokyo, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Those were island placements.

It reads like the goal is for newbies to teach SHS, which should be interesting. I look forward to massive amounts of whinge-posts.

spman2099
April 11th, 2014, 08:22
Man, I don't think I would love living in Tokyo. I mean, I would totally accept that position, but I really hope I get something more rural than that (if I get anything at all).

CrouchingMouse
April 11th, 2014, 08:32
Yeah, I actually agree with you spman. I've never really had the urge to visit Tokyo one day, and I feel like living in a city that big would kinda freak me out. But if it meant being upgraded, I'd take whatever they gave me at this point.

yingyangryder
April 11th, 2014, 08:37
Man, I don't think I would love living in Tokyo. I mean, I would totally accept that position, but I really hope I get something more rural than that (if I get anything at all).

If you do get Tokyo.....wanna switch?

spman2099
April 11th, 2014, 08:42
If you do get Tokyo.....wanna switch?

Ha, I wonder how long it would take them to catch on...

Reassuring Skeleton
April 11th, 2014, 08:44
How worrying- I live in London now and was hoping for a nice year out in the cuds! I guess there's more to do in Tokyo but significantly less money with which to do it after rent...

webstaa
Yeah, I actually agree with you spman. I've never really had the urge to visit Tokyo one day, and I feel like living in a city that big would kinda freak me out. But if it meant being upgraded, I'd take whatever they gave me at this point.

Tokyo is great for a long weekend visit for shopping or a Golden Week tourist trip, and I love the idea of living there (I'd kill to be able to bike pretty much everywhere without climbing a mountain)... but probably not as an ALT. The cost of living is probably 5x my super inaka lifestyle - and it would probably cramp my travel somewhere in Japan at every opportunity thing I've got going.

Antonath
Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^
Hey now! We've had good reason to moan and groan over that :p The lack of Tokyo placements, plus CLAIR's goal to get ALTs out to the inaka, made that a perfectly good gripe-subject. Now Tokyo are recruiting heavily, we can start encouraging people that want to live there! Heck, if Akihabara has a SHS, we might have found someone's dream placement!

spman2099
April 11th, 2014, 08:51
Hey now! We've had good reason to moan and groan over that :p The lack of Tokyo placements, plus CLAIR's goal to get ALTs out to the inaka, made that a perfectly good gripe-subject. Now Tokyo are recruiting heavily, we can start encouraging people that want to live there! Heck, if Akihabara has a SHS, we might have found someone's dream placement!

I am sure there will be some encouragement, though it will be accompanied by a healthy amount of condescension and derision; it wouldn't be the ITIL experience without it.

par92186
April 11th, 2014, 08:55
I agree with spman. I put down that I preferred to be placed in a city (Kobe, Kyoto, or Nagoya), but a Tokyo placement wouldn't be something I'd be jumping for joy over. The city itself is amazing, but way too expensive for my budget. Although, Kobe and Kyoto can also be expensive...they are far less of a financial burden than Tokyo would be. Overall though, I'd take it if I was placed there come June.

Lianwen
April 11th, 2014, 09:08
You know, I don't know why Tokyo would be expensive for a JET. We live on pretty nice salaries, and most COs will probably subsidize housing and transport. Heck, there might even be free or very cheap teachers' housing if it's for SHS. Sure, food and entertainment might be pricy, but it's expensive everywhere. As long as placed JETs don't go to a maid cafe every night, I think they'll be fine.

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2014, 09:10
Yes, we learned about this a few months back. I am glad CLAIR finally released a press release for it. Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^

Just remember though, JET salary is the same nationwide. So, the person living in a small town in the north who pays 200 dollars rent will get the same salary as someone living in Tokyo who may need to pay 800 dollars for a shoebox apartment. Just some things to think about ;)

Living in Tokyo may have other challenges compared to rural living.

We will see how many of the short-listers get placed in Tokyo when June comes around.

Hey now, we've had good reason to whinge over that, and I think if there ACTUALLY Tokyo placements we'll have more reason to whinge because people who otherwise wouldn't have applied due to no Tokyo will now apply, get sent to BFI, and be all "WAH WAH WAH I'm not in Tokyo". At least before they were just stupid when that happened, now....

You know, I'll be curious to find out in a month or two if they actually did increase the number of positions or if this was all just fluff. I mean, if they do GREAT, but something about this sounds like a bit of a smoke screen. I'm also curious how the ALTs will be distributed as well. I don't quite understand how Tokyo the to(都) works compared to a normal prefecture with all those smaller "cities" inside it for education, so we could have SHS only ALTs, or maybe the whole range.

I'm also curious with all these new ALTs what is gonna happen to the local expat population in Tokyo. I mean, I met more than one guy in Tokyo doing part time ALT work there, so are these part timer (read dirt cheap) English teachers going to be displaced or supplemented?

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2014, 09:31
You know, I don't know why Tokyo would be expensive for a JET. We live on pretty nice salaries, and most COs will probably subsidize housing and transport. Heck, there might even be free or very cheap teachers' housing if it's for SHS. Sure, food and entertainment might be pricy, but it's expensive everywhere. As long as placed JETs don't go to a maid cafe every night, I think they'll be fine.

It could get very expensive very fast, particularly for non-Americans, or Americans with student loans. Plus, aren't you on the old salary?

Also, inaka food is generally cheap. You must not live in the real boonies.

UPGRAYEDD
April 11th, 2014, 10:22
On one hand, future JETs will get the opportunity to live in Tokyo. That's awesome and I wish I had that opportunity 5 years ago. I would have jumped all over that.

On the other hand, Tokyo is one of the must expensive cities in the world and the new JET salary is not that great. Without major housing subsidies or a bump in salary, life in Tokyo will be rough. Let's not beat around the bush there.

But hey, Tokyo!

UPGRAYEDD
April 11th, 2014, 10:27
Also, inaka food is generally cheap.

Tokyo has a lot of "cheaper than the inaka" food options if you know where to look. And I'm not really talking about ultra low-quality stuff either.

greyjoy
April 11th, 2014, 10:33
So miamicoordinator, seeing as how basically none of us planned for the possibility of being placed in Tokyo, what do you think the odds are of people being placed there even though they didn't put it down as one of their preferred locations? Do you have any idea how that part of the selection process works? I left my third choice blank, but now I'm sort of wishing I had placed Tokyo down as a long shot.

No part of my interview covered what size city I would prefer as far as I recall. Do you think if they pull anyone, it'll probably be someone based in one of the big cities so they're not completely overwhelmed?

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2014, 10:35
Tokyo has a lot of "cheaper than the inaka" food options if you know where to look. And I'm not really talking about ultra low-quality stuff either.

Good to know. I was talking about fresh veg, etc. Where do they hide the cheap stuff?

coop52
April 11th, 2014, 10:53
A couple of the new teachers are from the Tokyo area and have complained that stuff is more expensive here in the inaka. Only stuff like fresh veg is cheaper here.

johnny
April 11th, 2014, 10:57
I would rather live in Kyoto or Kobe if I were to live the big city life. I love Tokyo too, but living there would be too expensive for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2014, 11:04
A couple of the new teachers are from the Tokyo area and have complained that stuff is more expensive here in the inaka. Only stuff like fresh veg is cheaper here.

I do suppose the costs of eating would be different depending on what you're willing to eat. Since fresh stuff makes up the bulk of my home meals, that's what I was talking about.

UPGRAYEDD
April 11th, 2014, 12:58
Good to know. I was talking about fresh veg, etc. Where do they hide the cheap stuff?

To be perfectly honest, I don't really notice any real difference in supermarket prices between veggies and fruit between Tokyo and Shikoku (where I used to live). Depends on where you shop though, Ito-Yokado and Seiyu is going to be cheaper than Seijoishii and Hankyu.

But for even fresher and cheaper options, there are dozens of weekend farmers' markets all over Tokyo you could go to. My personal favorite is the Sunday morning market at the United Nations University.

And there are also the hidden ethnic supermarkets in places like Ame-yokocho...

Corvus
April 11th, 2014, 14:54
Kyu-kyu-en stores were leagues apart from the 99 cent stores in the US...definitely made groceries manageable.

Zolrak 22
April 11th, 2014, 15:09
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a lot easier to travel around Tokyo. Alts could share apartments thus reducing living costs.

I'd be surprised if they didn't thought about this beforehand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2014, 15:14
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a lot easier to travel around Tokyo. Alts could share apartments thus reducing living costs.

I'd be surprised if they didn't thought about this beforehand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Easier to travel? Yes. Cheap? I guess that depends.

Sharing apartments with ALTs? No. Just no way in the world that would work.

Lianwen
April 11th, 2014, 15:22
I know one person who had to share the apartment with their pred for a week (it might have been two), and it was absolute hell for her.

I can't imagine sharing an apartment with any of the JETs near me, even the ones I consider friends.

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2014, 15:31
Alts could share apartments thus reducing living costs.

Sorry, but my response to this is "OH MAI GODO HERUS NOOOO!" I would NEVER want to live with another ALT. I'm an adult thank you, and long stopped the dorm life.

johnny
April 11th, 2014, 15:35
People like their space. Also, there are a lot of homebodies I've met here that like going to bed no later than 10.

I, conversely, am loud, obnoxious, like going out and like going to bed late. We'd get along like Rimmer and Lister.

UPGRAYEDD
April 11th, 2014, 15:38
I don't see how it will be possible to have the JET program in Tokyo without subsidized housing or some kind of room-share system (which would be extremely unpopular).

It's simply too expensive to live independently here at that salary.

ihatefall
April 11th, 2014, 16:24
I don't find Tokyo to be that expensive compare to rest of Japan, again if you know where to look. Granted, I don't pay rent here. (Which I am sure sucks. My friend pays 10man for a pretty small place.)

I knew one of the 5 Tokyo-to JETs, she was on an island that had a very limited ferry. Becareful what you wish for.
It was easier for Ibaraki, Saitama and Chiba JETs to get to the 'city' than it was for her.

That being said, Tokyo isn't my favorite. Its not because of a small space or anything like that. I live in a huge house with a parking space, a small yard, hell we even have a tree in it. Its the people. People in Tokyo kind of suck.
I enjoy this city less now that I live in it, as opposed to when I used to visit it on weekends.

I am not being ungrateful or anything, but my choice would have been Osaka.

Shincantsen
April 11th, 2014, 23:35
So miamicoordinator, seeing as how basically none of us planned for the possibility of being placed in Tokyo, what do you think the odds are of people being placed there even though they didn't put it down as one of their preferred locations? Do you have any idea how that part of the selection process works? I left my third choice blank, but now I'm sort of wishing I had placed Tokyo down as a long shot.

No part of my interview covered what size city I would prefer as far as I recall. Do you think if they pull anyone, it'll probably be someone based in one of the big cities so they're not completely overwhelmed?

Plenty of people still request Tokyo as their first placement choice. Not everyone is on the forums or Facebook group, and not everyone does boatloads of research before applying, so a lot of people think that Tokyo is a viable option (which it is now). I think it would be easy for them to pick 100 ALTs who specifically requested Tokyo, although I'm sure it won't work that way. Your placement request really doesn't matter that much in the long run, since it's more on the contracting organizations as to who ends up where.

Ini
April 11th, 2014, 23:41
I don't see how it will be possible to have the JET program in Tokyo without subsidized housing or some kind of room-share system (which would be extremely unpopular).

It's simply too expensive to live independently here at that salary.

?????? theres loads of cheap housing in tokyo. you might not be near a station on a major train line but thats why god gave you legs.

Corvus
April 12th, 2014, 01:38
I think prices vary a lot depending on what part of Tokyo you are in.
I had a 1K mansion for under 6man a month, under 7 after utilities. This was close enough to Chuo-sen, still a ways from the central wards, though. I don't imagine anything near there would be this cheap.

Overall cost of living is going to depend more on how you spend your free time.

miamicoordinator
April 12th, 2014, 08:03
You know, I don't know why Tokyo would be expensive for a JET. We live on pretty nice salaries, and most COs will probably subsidize housing and transport.

Please do not spread this information. It is incorrect that most COs subsidize housing and transport. Yes, some do, and some don't. In my time, I have heard some horror stories (COs would not pay for a dime) and great stories (rent was only 100 bucks, and company car also). Your experiences can range by a large margin. We do not want applicants going with the idea they will be able to put all their salaries to loans/travel when some might need to pay a large amount of their salary to living expenses. Granted, JET salary is very generous, especially for having it be an entry level position, however, there is no promise that Tokyo will subsidize anything. If they do, great, but don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

miamicoordinator
April 12th, 2014, 08:06

None of us have any intel on the specifics of how placements are arranged unfortunately. All we know is COs can request kinds of applicants, but if no one is available with their specifications, they get whoever is available. They do try to place you where you will be happy, but placement requests are just that, a request. Im sure everyone has an equal shot at the 100 spots.

hello
April 13th, 2014, 21:51
I lived in Tokyo for one year whilst on University exchange. It was no more expensive than where I live in Australia, in fact, clothes and food were significantly cheaper, and it was way more convenient transport wise. I'd love to be placed there :)

ihatefall
April 13th, 2014, 22:14
None of us have any intel on the specifics of how placements are arranged unfortunately. All we know is COs can request kinds of applicants, but if no one is available with their specifications, they get whoever is available. They do try to place you where you will be happy, but placement requests are just that, a request. Im sure everyone has an equal shot at the 100 spots.

Dear Miamicoordinator,
First off, I want to thank you for reaching out on the forums and providing an insiders view point. It helps us understand why things are done certain ways (for example the no staples thing.)

Would you say, and I imagine it to be so, that the requests from the CO has more weight to them than the applicants.

I know there is a town in Koichi-ken; Tosashimizu (the birth place of John Manjiro) that always requests and gets a JET from the Fairhaven, MA area because that is were he lived in the states. Clearly, no one ever requested to be way out there.

I am just wondering if the CO's needs and wants come first? (I think they should, since they are the ones paying the salary.)

Wasabi
April 14th, 2014, 04:58
I know there is a town in Koichi-ken; Tosashimizu (the birth place of John Manjiro) that always requests and gets a JET from the Fairhaven, MA area because that is were he lived in the states. Clearly, no one ever requested to be way out there.

D: Shoot. Where I live now is only 30 minutes away from Fairhaven. I put my city of birth as to where I felt most comfortable representing, so *fingers crossed* that they'll overlook my current proximity to Fairhaven.

ihatefall
April 14th, 2014, 07:51
D: Shoot. Where I live now is only 30 minutes away from Fairhaven. I put my city of birth as to where I felt most comfortable representing, so *fingers crossed* that they'll overlook my current proximity to Fairhaven.

Kochi-ken, is one of the most beautiful places I have been in Japan!
(Also the two ES / JHS positions are filled, the SHS teacher is leaving but that is a prefectural position)

Watch the movie 'Harimaya Bridge', the setting is Kochi. It was written and directed by a former JET. (The scenes of Kochi are really beautiful.)
It was on Netflix, last time I checked.

Kdes23
April 14th, 2014, 11:31
Dear Miamicoordinator,
First off, I want to thank you for reaching out on the forums and providing an insiders view point. It helps us understand why things are done certain ways (for example the no staples thing.)

Would you say, and I imagine it to be so, that the requests from the CO has more weight to them than the applicants.

I am just wondering if the CO's needs and wants come first? (I think they should, since they are the ones paying the salary.)

I like to believe that there's almost no chance that she/he would be able to find out that information. CLAIR acts as the middle man between the BoE and embassies/consulates. Sure, maybe you can get the coordinator from the Boston consulate/embassy to answer that question. Chances are it's classified and not information they share though.

Ercasse
April 14th, 2014, 14:21

It's probably one of the more complex balancing acts out there.

The COs are allowed to be very specific with their requests and CLAIR does their best to accommodate COs, particularly ones with slightly out-there needs. Some place will be very specific about the kind of person they need (Ex: ALT who speaks French and English, CIR who has lots of hardcore translation experience etc.) or they can be as vague as they like. CLAIR isn't obligated to send someone exactly like a CO has precisely requested, but I think they do their best. If anyone is curious about what kinds of things can be requested, when you are finishing up on JET get someone to show you the JET request form that COs fill out, it's pretty enlightening.

JETs also have lots of very legitimate things that need to be taken into consideration. Health issues and family stuff is usually at the top of the list I would think. So I feel like it would be overstating the case to say that CLAIR gives preferences to the needs of the CO over the needs of the JETs.

What I think is probably they best way to think of it is that CLAIR tries to send COs ALTs they think will be a fit for the CO and that CO's job while at the same time trying to send JETs to places they feel like they will thrive. I would think that the pool of applicants is wide enough that for the most part this balance can be achieved.

hawkharness
April 14th, 2014, 14:29
Please do not spread this information. It is incorrect that most COs subsidize housing and transport. Yes, some do, and some don't. In my time, I have heard some horror stories (COs would not pay for a dime) and great stories (rent was only 100 bucks, and company car also). Your experiences can range by a large margin. We do not want applicants going with the idea they will be able to put all their salaries to loans/travel when some might need to pay a large amount of their salary to living expenses. Granted, JET salary is very generous, especially for having it be an entry level position, however, there is no promise that Tokyo will subsidize anything. If they do, great, but don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

This. I'm one of the 5 Tokyo-to mainlanders (the other 5 are on the islands) and none of our rents are subsidized.

Also fresh veggies aren't difficult to come by, as we are in one of the most 田舎っぽい parts of the prefecture. It still takes a little more than an hour to get to the big city parts.

From what I've heard, all the new Tokyo-to incomers will be SHS. Dunno how accurate that is. All I know is I don't really want to be PA next year lol

miamicoordinator
April 14th, 2014, 23:50
Dear Miamicoordinator,

The CO has a big influence on placements, especially when it comes to places with sister-city relationships. For example, Miami is Sister Cities with Kagoshima. I know for a fact that kagoshima requests( and receives) a good number of JETs from our Consulate. Since one of the main reasons for JET is to promote friendship between Japan and the U.S., it just makes sense that people work in the cities that are connected to their home cities in the U.S. I have never heard of the town in Koichi-ken, but it would not be strange to think that they do indeed request people from Fairhaven because of John Manjiro(especially with his stories and books becoming ever more popular).

CLAIR wants to make the COs happy because they are the ones who will be paying for plane tickets and fees for the JETs who are coming. Sometimes CLAIR cannot accomodate specific requests, but they do try.

Corvus
April 15th, 2014, 01:15
The CO has a big influence on placements, especially when it comes to places with sister-city relationships. For example, Miami is Sister Cities with Kagoshima. I know for a fact that kagoshima requests( and receives) a good number of JETs from our Consulate. Since one of the main reasons for JET is to promote friendship between Japan and the U.S., it just makes sense that people work in the cities that are connected to their home cities in the U.S. I have never heard of the town in Koichi-ken, but it would not be strange to think that they do indeed request people from Fairhaven because of John Manjiro(especially with his stories and books becoming ever more popular). CLAIR wants to make the COs happy because they are the ones who will be paying for plane tickets and fees for the JETs who are coming. Sometimes CLAIR cannot accomodate specific requests, but they do try. I'm sort of derailing my own thread but I was curious, are the CO's putting in said requests prior to short-lists or afterwards? I'm also curious if short-lists are all sent out for placement at the same time or if they trickle out depending on how soon post-acceptance paperwork is sorted out. Much respect for the information MC

miamicoordinator
April 15th, 2014, 01:55
I'm sort of derailing my own thread but I was curious, are the CO's putting in said requests prior to short-lists or afterwards? I'm also curious if short-lists are all sent out for placement at the same time or if they trickle out depending on how soon post-acceptance paperwork is sorted out. Much respect for the information MC

Prior to us sending Tokyo the recommendation list, each CO has a general idea of what kind JET they want. Granted, there are those COs that really have no preference at all. Then there are others that want/need a certain gender (or other specifications). I am unsure however if they officially let CLAIR know what their requests are before us sending our recommendation list.

Once we sent the recommendation list to Tokyo though, and the short-lister positions are selected, then the COs get access to who is available, and they choose who they want. Many people think JET placements are 100% random. This is not true. If you are going somewhere, there is a good chance that the CO sat down, read your file and decided "I really like this guy/gal" I want him/her. Sure, like I said, there are those COs that are a little less hands on and say "just send me whoever" but I know that many of them are very selective about who they pick. Maybe they had a good experience with someone from the UK, or maybe they had a real bad experience with a asian-girl obsessed white guy. You can imagine how many posibilities exist.

Remember though that everything depends on who get selected for the short-list. The COs have no control of who gets short-listed. They only have preference on who they get to pick after the short-list is established.

For the last part of your question, for the most part the amount of short-listers is set sometime in January or February in Japan. For those of you who know JETs in Japan, they need to recontract usually by December or January. This way the COs know who is staying and who is leaving and how many spots are available. So lets say that 1000 spots opened up this year(not the real number). we will initially have 1000 short-listers. However, there are always people who say they are going to recontract, and then between January and August decide they are in fact leaving. This opens up additional spots for JETs and then we are instructed by Tokyo to upgrade X amount of people to cover those spots. These types of upgrades are rather erratic and can happen anytime between April and December (that is why the alternate window is such a long period of time). I will give you an example from us last year. Originally we had 28 short-listers, and we ended up sending 33 by the end of the year. So, we had an additional 5 people added to our list. The year before that we had 13 original short-listers, and we ended up sending 19 people.

Tokyo is the power that dictates which consulates upgrade those types of JETs. It is not like we see spots open up and then each consulate needs to fight for the upgrade.

Hope this helps.

kenkennif
April 17th, 2014, 16:27
I would HATE to live in Tokyo. No nature?!? Screw that...

EDIT: Also, I struggle to keep hold of my wages enough as it is living in the middle of bloody nowhere. I'm pretty sure I would be homeless if I had to live in Tokyo!

BeckyJones
April 18th, 2014, 13:40
People in Tokyo kind of suck.
I enjoy this city less now that I live in it, as opposed to when I used to visit it on weekends.

This. Most people have a stary eyed view of Tokyo. It isn't the friendliest place in the world. Japan has so many great places outside of the metroplex that honestly are a lot better than Tokyo. I use to live near Fukuoka and way down south and loved it, now I live in Kanto and pretty close to the city. The difference is night and day. I would love to move farther away from the city.

hawkharness
April 18th, 2014, 13:57
Does anybody realize we're talking about Tokyo prefecture?

Not everyone here is cold and unfriendly, and yes there is nature! I don't know if JET is planning on putting anyone in the 23 special wards, but the rest of the cities I've been to (including the one I live in) are really nice, down-to-earth, liveable places.

Haters gon' hate I guess.

Ini
April 18th, 2014, 14:05
Tokyo prefecture?

BeckyJones
April 18th, 2014, 14:07
Does anybody realize we're talking about Tokyo prefecture?

Not everyone here is cold and unfriendly, and yes there is nature! I don't know if JET is planning on putting anyone in the 23 special wards, but the rest of the cities I've been to (including the one I live in) are really nice, down-to-earth, liveable places.

Haters gon' hate I guess.
*puts on nerd glasses.
technically tokyo isn't a prefecture
*pulls off nerd glasses.

sure there is nature, and nice people in Tokyo. Shit, there are even nice places in Chiba. But the fact is, most of it is a shithole. As for Tokyo, I find Kanto to be pretty cold. If you live outside of the city, everyone leaves and goes to the city on the weekend. if you live in the city, you are too cool for school and other people. It's just my experience, and everyone's will vary. But even my wife and that side of the family say Tokyo is cold and if it wasn't for the shopping we'd probably never go down to the city.

hawkharness
April 18th, 2014, 14:12
*puts on nerd glasses.
technically tokyo isn't a prefecture
*pulls off nerd glasses.

sure there is nature, and nice people in Tokyo. Shit, there are even nice places in Chiba. But the fact is, most of it is a shithole. As for Tokyo, I find Kanto to be pretty cold. If you live outside of the city, everyone leaves and goes to the city on the weekend. if you live in the city, you are too cool for school and other people. It's just my experience, and everyone's will vary. But even my wife and that side of the family say Tokyo is cold and if it wasn't for the shopping we'd probably never go down to the city.

Sorry sorry, Tokyo metropolis.

I understand that everyone thinks the city is cold, and that's because it is. I'm just trying to let people know that at least the current ALTs don't live in the city at all. Dunno about incomers.

Ini
April 18th, 2014, 14:15
yeah, because western tokyo is a rural paradise of rolling hills and buxom milk maids frolicking in meadows....

Antonath
April 18th, 2014, 14:18
yeah, because western tokyo is a rural paradise of rolling hills and buxom milk maids frolicking in meadows....
No no, you're thinking of that cafe in Akihabara, and the meadows are painted on the walls.

BeckyJones
April 18th, 2014, 14:20
Sorry sorry, Tokyo metropolis.

I understand that everyone thinks the city is cold, and that's because it is. I'm just trying to let people know that at least the current ALTs don't live in the city at all. Dunno about incomers.
that is because those ALTs live on Iwojima or some other backwards remote island. they are better off in one of Japans other cities, or near one.

Nagoya,Yokohama,Utsunomia,Takasaki,Sendai,Fukuoka,Kobe,Osaka,Nara,Kyoto,Niigata,Toyama,Kanazawa,Fukui,Sapporo,Hiroshima,Nagasaki,Kumamoto,Himeji
I can name more. Any one of these places or near one of these places would be better than being on those islands.

Besides, one large Japanese city is like every other large Japanese city. The only one different is Tokyo, because it is a soul sucking suck hole of suck that drains the lives of all who have to work there.

chikorita
April 18th, 2014, 14:23
I know there is a town in Kochi-ken; Tosashimizu (the birth place of John Manjiro) that always requests and gets a JET from the Fairhaven, MA area because that is were he lived in the states.

Huh, I don't think any of the current JETs there are from Fairhaven.

chikorita
April 18th, 2014, 14:29
Also, for all the people saying how impossible it would be to live in Tokyo on a JET salary: I lived there for a year as a student on 12-man a month (including scholarship and subsidies), and still managed to fit in some travelling and plenty of socialising. My rent was 6-man a month. You have to be willing to make some compromises, like renting a cheaper apartment that's a bit further out, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I would have been delighted if someone had offered me a JET salary to live on.

hawkharness
April 18th, 2014, 14:40
that is because those ALTs live on Iwojima or some other backwards remote island. they are better off in one of Japans other cities, or near one.

Uh nope. Half of them do. The other half are on the mainland. Pretty sure I said that earlier but whatever.

Y'all go ahead and believe whatever. I'm going back to lurking.

Gizmotech
April 18th, 2014, 14:49
Uh nope. Half of them do. The other half are on the mainland. Pretty sure I said that earlier but whatever.

I know the islands aren't part of the special wards, but what part of the mainland is part of Tokyo and not part of the ward system?

Ini
April 18th, 2014, 15:20
The cities to the west

BeckyJones
April 18th, 2014, 15:34

wow. I'm trying to find a non snarky way to reply to this, and not violate the care bear status of this forum. But seriously? If we are so wrong mr Tokyo why don't you set us straight? those cities are still 40 minutes from the city or less most likely so they don't really count as country. If you think west Tokyo is country, boy... you need to get out more.

Either way your argument and my argument is invalid for one simple reason, there are what thousands of JETs and maybe 200 Tokyo positions or less. People need to realize the numbers and realize that their chances of getting anywhere near the city are pretty slim. I personally think this is a good thing, as I've said there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo.

therealwindycity
April 18th, 2014, 17:04
wow. I'm trying to find a non snarky way to reply to this, and not violate the care bear status of this forum.

My eyes just rolled so hard it gave me a headache.

I know our regular ITILers, myself included, love to make an argument out of a molehill, but I don't really think there's anything we need to be arguing about here. Play nice, especially since hawkharness has the benefit of actually living there. And hawkharness, I will back you up when I think everyone is being a bit heavy handed, but the user title is a touch melodramatic.

Corvus
April 19th, 2014, 03:32
Either way your argument and my argument is invalid for one simple reason, there are what thousands of JETs and maybe 200 Tokyo positions or less. People need to realize the numbers and realize that their chances of getting anywhere near the city are pretty slim. I personally think this is a good thing, as I've said there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo.

The whole point of this thread was to show how placements are changing for Tokyo. Comparatively, it is a significant change. I think it's been derailed by some sort of anti-Tokyo sentiment, though.

ihatefall
April 19th, 2014, 08:10
Huh, I don't think any of the current JETs there are from Fairhaven.

You're right. No one there is from "Fairhaven" but they are from the Fairhaven area, as I said. Ya, two of them are not even from Mass but one is from Fall River (10 min away), the one before that was from Dartmouth (5 mins away), and the dude before them was from Attleboro or something like that.

Fairhaven is pretty small population wise, I wouldn't be surprised if they only get one JET applicant every 10-15years.

ihatefall
April 19th, 2014, 08:12
Also I don't hate Tokyo, I really like it here (especially spring and summertime) but I like the people in other cities better. Especially Kansai cities.

frayedflower
April 19th, 2014, 11:56
If I were to be accepted to JET... I don't know. I'd personally rather go somewhere other than Tokyo, but that's only due to the fact that I've been there twice already, and there's still a lot more of Japan I want to see. On the other hand, if it turns out one of those new slots in Tokyo gets me shortlisted one day, I won't be disappointed in the least.

johnny
April 19th, 2014, 21:15
I'm drinking 500¥ glasses of wine in a small pizzeria in Tokyo right now lending evidence to the idea that you can have a good time here and not break the bank.

Ini
April 19th, 2014, 22:10
if you are drinking cheap plonk and posting on ITIL you cant be having that great a time

miss_doitsu
April 20th, 2014, 00:56
Also, for all the people saying how impossible it would be to live in Tokyo on a JET salary: I lived there for a year as a student on 12-man a month (including scholarship and subsidies), and still managed to fit in some travelling and plenty of socialising. My rent was 6-man a month. You have to be willing to make some compromises, like renting a cheaper apartment that's a bit further out, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I would have been delighted if someone had offered me a JET salary to live on.

I lived in the inaka and my rent was also 6man.

hawkharness
April 20th, 2014, 09:28
And hawkharness, I will back you up when I think everyone is being a bit heavy handed, but the user title is a touch melodramatic.

I set it up a while ago, and it was meant to be a joke, but you're probably right. I'll take it down. Thanks for your input. I didn't mean to stir up an argument either; I just felt a little defensive of my placement, because I really love it.

therealwindycity
April 20th, 2014, 13:47
No, I don't blame you. It's nice to have input from one of the few people with a mainland Tokyo placement.

chikorita
April 21st, 2014, 13:40
I lived in the inaka and my rent was also 6man. Exactly my point :) you can find somewhere in Tokyo to rent that's not much more expensive than in the inaka (though it will almost certainly be smaller)

uthinkimlost?
April 21st, 2014, 15:08
Exactly my point :) you can find somewhere in Tokyo to rent that's not much more expensive than in the inaka (though it will almost certainly be smaller)

I don't even want to think about an apartment that cheap in a big city.

6 man in the inaka can get you a palatial house or a pretty modern place, it won't go nearly that far in Tokyo.

ihatefall
April 21st, 2014, 15:12
My GF's family rents out two decent size places in Ikebukuro for 8 man each. But honestly, that is cheap.

uthinkimlost?
April 21st, 2014, 15:18
My GF's family rents out two decent size places in Ikebukuro for 8 man each. But honestly, that is cheap.

-and here come the n00b pms requesting for you to reserve one for them.

therealwindycity
April 21st, 2014, 15:20
I dunno; these last few application seasons I think we've seen quite a few people who would actually prefer not to go to Tokyo.

uthinkimlost?
April 21st, 2014, 15:26
I dunno; these last few application seasons I think we've seen quite a few people who would actually prefer not to go to Tokyo.

Maybe they meant it, or maybe they just accepted it would never happen. Who knows, now that there's hope...

createdtodance7
April 22nd, 2014, 09:00
The way I see it, there will be pros and cons about literally any place or area one is assigned to. If you are assigned to live in a city as iconic as Tokyo, it certainly wouldn't be the wrist thing in the world. Chances of Tokyo are still slim, though greater than before. Why? To promote English in the greater Tokyo area in time for the Olympics. I personally would take it as an honor to be allowed to contribute to such an important cause, small apartment or no.

tealparadise
April 22nd, 2014, 09:15
Apparently liking Tokyo is a minority opinion here, who would have guessed?

I've always done better in big cities. The whole "alone in a crowd" thing is really relaxing to me. And especially in Japan. I feel better as 1 of 100 people on the train car, with no one looking at me, rather than 1 of 5 with everyone taking sidelong glances.

Also, everyone always wants to visit Tokyo. My friend who lives there has a constant stream of guests from all over Japan. No one wants to visit my snowy hell. If I lived in Tokyo, I'd see my friends who were scattered across Japan by the placement process. Every time someone flies in, they stop in Tokyo too. It's just nice.

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable. Maybe the farmer subculture vs the factory worker subculture. In Tokyo there's enough ex-pat or english-speaking population to have actual friend groups based on shared values and interests. Not just shared foreigner or foreigner-lover status.

Plus I already live in a 1-room apartment, so it can't get much smaller. I have to drive 40 min to eat anything other than ramen, so gas costs drive up my food/entertainment costs. Plus I'm paying 330/month for a rental car, freaking ouch. Because the JETs in our area can't stop crashing into lamp posts, so no one will deal with us. Take the car out of the equation, put that toward rent, and I'm sitting pretty on the same salary.

I'm sure someone will rip this apart, but pretty much every other opinion so far has been anti-Tokyo. So I'm just evening out the field.

createdtodance7
April 22nd, 2014, 09:18

I've always done better in big cities. The whole "alone in a crowd" thing is really relaxing to me. And especially in Japan. I feel better as 1 of 100 people on the train car, with no one looking at me, rather than 1 of 5 with everyone taking sidelong glances.

Also, everyone always wants to visit Tokyo. My friend who lives there has a constant stream of guests from all over Japan. No one wants to visit my snowy hell. If I lived in Tokyo, I'd see my friends who were scattered across Japan by the placement process. Every time someone flies in, they stop in Tokyo too. It's just nice.

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable. Maybe the farmer subculture vs the factory worker subculture. In Tokyo there's enough ex-pat or english-speaking population to have actual friend groups based on shared values and interests. Not just shared foreigner or foreigner-lover status.

I'm sure someone will rip this apart, but pretty much every other opinion so far has been anti-Tokyo. So I'm just evening out the field.

This. I lived in a small town in America. Hated it. I live about ten miles from Seoul, Korea now. I love it. I love being an introvert in a big city. It's far more relaxing.

tealparadise
April 22nd, 2014, 09:19
This. I lived in a small town in America. Hated it. I live about ten miles from Seoul, Korea now. I love it. I love being an introvert in a big city. It's far more relaxing.

I'm from a small town too. Maybe that's the difference.

yingyangryder
April 22nd, 2014, 10:05
I am from a reasonably sized city, but I too am more relaxed in Tokyo. I like my little town, but I love cities more than anything. Call me boring but meh, I can`t help what I like.

ihatefall
April 22nd, 2014, 11:07

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable.

You still get the glances here. Everyday I see tons of people staring at me in the reflection of the train window or as we walk by. In smaller neighborhoods, you'll even get the head turn. Hell, on Thursday walking up a hill in Aoyama, I heard some J-lady say, "gaijin ooi" under her breath.

The thing about the subcultures thing is that last time I was here '06-08, I was really into different subcultures. (Bikes groups, music, etc.) To a certain extent, you'll always be the token gaijin. Even if your super perapera, you'll think differently and react differently. As you should. As much as adapting to the culture is a good thing, going native (is a more restrictive culture than your own) is almost never a positive thing.

BeckyJones
April 23rd, 2014, 08:35
you'll always be the token gaijin.
This^. The sooner people realize this, the better you will be. Shit today on the news they were interviewing another stupid boy band and it came down to their token gaijin (a half who is by all means japanese in every sense of the word culturally) they gave him a nice ribbing because. Lol foreigner...

At least outside of Tokyo they might want your input and value you as the token gaijin. In tokyo, they can always find another token gaijin to replace you.

Jiggit
April 23rd, 2014, 08:44
ALTs have no business complaining about token gaijin attention. Think fat weeaboos in cargo shorts would be getting all that Jpoon without minor celebrity status?

webstaa
April 23rd, 2014, 08:57
ALTs have no business complaining about token gaijin attention. Think fat weeaboos in cargo shorts would be getting all that Jpoon without minor celebrity status?

My kids think I'm super awesome and cool, because I wear sunglasses and can bike faster than any of them... and they've never met another gaijin. In my defense, I don't wear cargo shorts, only cargo pants with fake pockets...