PDA

View Full Version : Flight to Tokyo

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 15:52
I just have a small question about the flight from our home countries to Tokyo.

I, myself, am flying from the US. Seattle, more specifically. I was just wondering how likely it would be that they'll be giving us a nonstop flight to Tokyo rather than something that transfers?

I ask because last year when I went to Osaka to study abroad a flight delay almost cost me my flight to Seoul and I wound up on a different flight completely. I'd like to avoid such a situation if possible... and I'd hope my CO would, too!

uthinkimlost?
April 13th, 2014, 16:04
Don't worry about it. Any delays or extra expenses won't be your problem.

therealwindycity
April 13th, 2014, 16:13
Also, Seattle is almost guaranteed to be a direct flight to Tokyo.

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 16:24
Don't worry about it. Any delays or extra expenses won't be your problem.

I appreciate the information, but I was just hoping I wouldn't have to deal with it at all. ^^;

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 16:24
Also, Seattle is almost guaranteed to be a direct flight to Tokyo.

Really? Has it been direct historically? I hope so...

therealwindycity
April 13th, 2014, 16:34
I mean, there's never any way that you can be guaranteed anything with an airline company, but the ALTs from your consulate will be traveling as a group, so at worst you'd be showing up late together, with people on the Tokyo end aware of the delay and waiting for you.

Seattle is one of the major hubs for flights from the US to Japan, especially Tokyo, so I can't see any reason why they would opt for a layover in San Francisco or LA when Seattle has so many direct flights.

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 16:42
I mean, there's never any way that you can be guaranteed anything with an airline company, but the ALTs from your consulate will be traveling as a group, so at worst you'd be showing up late together, with people on the Tokyo end aware of the delay and waiting for you.

Seattle is one of the major hubs for flights from the US to Japan, especially Tokyo, so I can't see any reason why they would opt for a layover in San Francisco or LA when Seattle has so many direct flights.

I sure hope you're right. When my flight from Seattle to SF was delayed by three hours I had to wait in line for 45 minutes just to talk to the woman at the podium about how this would potentially make me miss my connection in SF to Seoul, and therefore make me not arrive in Osaka when I needed to be there.

Luckily, the story ends happily. I've worked in travel/hotels for a few years, and sometimes all you need to do is ask. When she was looking for a different flight to put me on to send me to SF on time, I just straight-up asked her if she could just get me on a direct flight to Osaka instead. And she did. I'm so glad the Star Alliance system exists for that reason.

It's part of why I'm hoping for a direct flight. It was so easy. Four words: free ice cream sandwiches. (Delta flight. Was awesome.)

therealwindycity
April 13th, 2014, 16:45
I can sympathize with travel stressed and bad flight experiences, but JET is a government program - you won't have to worry about handling stuff on your own. People will be guiding you the entire way from the consulate to your placement in Japan.

uthinkimlost?
April 13th, 2014, 17:08
I sure hope you're right. When my flight from Seattle to SF was delayed by three hours I had to wait in line for 45 minutes just to talk to the woman at the podium about how this would potentially make me miss my connection in SF to Seoul, and therefore make me not arrive in Osaka when I needed to be there.

Luckily, the story ends happily. I've worked in travel/hotels for a few years, and sometimes all you need to do is ask. When she was looking for a different flight to put me on to send me to SF on time, I just straight-up asked her if she could just get me on a direct flight to Osaka instead. And she did. I'm so glad the Star Alliance system exists for that reason.

It's part of why I'm hoping for a direct flight. It was so easy. Four words: free ice cream sandwiches. (Delta flight. Was awesome.)

Be careful. If you tell anyone flying in from the UK of your harrowing ordeal they might backhand you.

osakavamp
April 13th, 2014, 17:11
Be careful. If you tell anyone flying in from the UK of your harrowing ordeal they might backhand you.

Haters gonna hate.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
April 21st, 2014, 13:53
We're lucky if we get food on our flights.

And they won't even let us open the windows.

MJN
April 27th, 2014, 09:03
Seattle-Tokyo is mostly a direct flight (and there are 78's running that route now) for ANA and JAL, but it really depends who your CO books with. There's also a lot of connections that run through LA or Vancouver with Alaska or Air Canada.

I wouldn't worry about missing your connection, if you've got a connecting ticket the airline has a responsibility to get you to your destination at their cost, unless you're flying with a crap airline.

Gizmotech
April 27th, 2014, 16:20
The easiest way to figure it out is to go onto ANA/JAL website, put in your departure city and narita. Bang, the shortest trip should be your flight over.

osakavamp
April 28th, 2014, 06:51
Given that most years Japanese airlines had not been used, I don't think this is a reliable method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizmotech
April 28th, 2014, 08:14
I never said you were gonna fly with them, but that they are a good way to figure out how many hops are allowed. They will choose the more expensive direct flight over a multi-hop flight, and if two flights are the same number of hops they will choose the cheaper of the two.

They are not gonna make you flight from Miami, via Saudi Arabia, with a connecting flight through Moscow... They will also choose to go with a carrier with connecting flights within agreement, rather than one hop on delta, then the next on chinese air.

uthinkimlost?
April 28th, 2014, 08:25
No matter what flight they book you on, there is literally nothing you can do about it anyway. The most you will be able to control would be your seat, and whether you can even change that will vary.

Just focus on packing and practice fighting for armrest control.

Jiggit
April 28th, 2014, 08:32
I'm pretty sure this thread has been done for the last 14 posts.

mrcharisma
April 28th, 2014, 09:34
I don't understand how someone can feel so aggrieved by the offer of a free, yet possibly indirect Trans-Pacific flight.

Be thankful you're getting your flight paid for and go and enjoy your last few months before departure.

kuzco
April 28th, 2014, 10:44
No matter what flight they book you on, there is literally nothing you can do about it anyway. The most you will be able to control would be your seat, and whether you can even change that will vary.

Just focus on packing and practice fighting for armrest control.

This. You can't choose the flight. It is free. If anything goes wrong, someone else will take care of it for you (and the other 30+ JETs departing with you), so there is no use obsessing over it.

Most new JETs will probably have a direct flight from their departure city (if you are somewhere that doesn't have a nonstop flight to Japan (like Miami), you'll have at most one connection). From Seattle you will most likely be put on a nonstop with ANA or Delta since those are the two airlines currently serving the route. Ultimately JET will go with whichever airline offers a better deal to the travel agency that makes the bookings for them.

BeckyJones
April 28th, 2014, 12:25
why are you worried about this? jeez. your hand will be held the entire way from your consulate meet up til the hotel. Sit back, drink a beer or 20 on the plane and relax.
hell, after tokyo orientation your hand will be held to your apartment. so get drunk, and enjoy the ride.

yingyangryder
April 28th, 2014, 15:44
why are you worried about this? jeez. your hand will be held the entire way from your consulate meet up til the hotel. Sit back, drink a beer or 20 on the plane and relax.
hell, after tokyo orientation your hand will be held to your apartment. so get drunk, and enjoy the ride.

The JET Programme, sending professional youths to the backarse of nowhere since the 1980`s...

... but I agree.

osakavamp
April 28th, 2014, 16:48
I don't understand how someone can feel so aggrieved by the offer of a free, yet possibly indirect Trans-Pacific flight.

Be thankful you're getting your flight paid for and go and enjoy your last few months before departure.

Yes, because inquiring as to how things work out of curiosity is being ungrateful and aggrieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therealwindycity
April 28th, 2014, 21:36
I think that the OP's question has been answered sufficiently, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread.